PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke at Boston College (Sat 12/9, Noon ET, ESPN) PreGame and In-Game Thread

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 03:13 PM
First conference game of the season and first conference road game.

Put your thoughts in this thread.

flyingdutchdevil
12-06-2017, 03:14 PM
I'll be there, rocking out with 7 strong. This is an away game. But it's really not cus Boston hates college basketball. And BC is so mediocre.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Right off the bat, wanted to post this news:

Jeff Goodman‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN) 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/938466249943736320)
BC loses Deontae Hawkins for the rest of the season due to a knee injury, school spokesman Mike Laprey told ESPN. Tough blow to Eagles.

This was expected as Hawkins went down with a non-contact knee injury in BC's loss at Nebraska in the ACC / Big 10 Challenge. It just took awhile for them to announce it.

Hawkins is grad transfer stretch-4 who was averaging 12 points and 9 rebounds. (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67746/deontae-hawkins) He gave them a third good player to go along with their very good backcourt of Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson, so this is a difficult loss for them.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 03:27 PM
I'll be there, rocking out with 7 strong. This is an away game. But it's really not cus Boston hates college basketball. And BC is so mediocre.

I remember they had some pretty good crowds for Duke games during the Al Skinner years when BC was making the tournament regularly.

Then they fired Skinner for some reason and haven't been back to the tournament since.

flyingdutchdevil
12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
I remember they had some pretty good crowds for Duke games during the Al Skinner years when BC was making the tournament regularly.

Then they fired Skinner for some reason and haven't been back to the tournament since.

Winning brings in fans. And no city knows that better than Boston

DukieInBrasil
12-06-2017, 03:30 PM
This was expected as Hawkins went down with a non-contact knee injury in BC's loss at Nebraska in the ACC / Big 10 Challenge. It just took awhile for them to announce it.

Hawkins is grad transfer stretch-4 who was averaging 12 points and 9 rebounds. (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/67746/deontae-hawkins) He gave them a third good player to go along with their very good backcourt of Ky Bowman and Jerome Robinson, so this is a difficult loss for them.

I feel bad for Hawkins, perhaps he'll be able to get a medical red-shirt, if he's interested in staying in college, heck he could get another degree or two if he wants.

I'm looking to see if Duke can retain the Full Forty Focus they displayed during the StFrank game. If they can play with that focus from the opening tip, then there's no reason to think they won't be able to win handily. BC just doesn't have anyone who can stop Bagley or Carter, let alone stay even with Bolden and Javin. Now BC's backcourt has some talent, in fact they're really quite good, but i'm hoping that our trio of backcourters will be far superior.
We could have beaten StFrank by 75+ if we focused more on doing the basics, but sloppy play led to most of our 13 turnovers. I'm not saying we should beat BC by 70+, but if everyone plays with focus and intensity we ought to be looking at another game where the deep bench can get a decent look at a few minutes of PT.

BandAlum83
12-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Go Duke!!!

BeachBlueDevil
12-06-2017, 03:37 PM

Dudley, Marshall and Smith battling JJ and Landlord led Duke teams in 05-06 were classics. I couldn't stand Dudley and Marshall at all. Now look at where BC has went since then... They were strong in the Dudley days under Skinner.

Travis
12-06-2017, 03:40 PM
It did not seem to get as much attention in the post game thread, but the most important stat from the St. Francis (PA) game to me was:
## Player FG-FGA FG-FGA
02 Gary Trent Jr. g 5-8 4-6

If this is replicable, not precisely, but just in terms of Trent Jr. shooting a solid percentage on three-point shots, BC and really almost every other team are really in trouble.

BandAlum83
12-06-2017, 03:41 PM
It did not seem to get as much attention in the post game thread, but the most important stat from the St. Francis (PA) game to me was:
## Player FG-FGA FG-FGA

If this is replicable, not precisely, but just in terms of Trent Jr. shooting a solid percentage on three-point shots, BC and really almost every other team are really in trouble.

I don't even want to acknowledge it without knocking on wood and seeing it for 3 games in a row...

(knocking now)

Olympic Fan
12-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Dudley, Marshall and Smith battling JJ and Landlord led Duke teams in 05-06 were classics. I couldn't stand Dudley and Marshall at all. Now look at where BC has went since then... They were strong in the Dudley days under Skinner.

No argument -- BC was good when they joined the ACC in 2006 (21 ACC wins in 2006 and 2007)

But Skinner kind of gave up recruiting at that point. His next team was 14-17 ... after a 22-12 bounce back, he was 15-16 in 2010 -- and the talent cupboard was empty when Steve Donohue arrived. It's been a struggle at BC ever since -- reflected by the disappearance of the crowds at the Conte Center.

But the decline started under Skinner ... not because he was fired.

BandAlum83
12-06-2017, 03:45 PM

I really hate to do it, but it's like fingernails ona chalk board. It's "has gone."

rsvman
12-06-2017, 03:59 PM
I really hate to do it, but it's like fingernails ona chalk board. It's "has gone."

Amen!

But I fear we are fighting a losing battle.

ChillinDuke
12-06-2017, 04:00 PM
I will be there as well - 4 of us.

Seats aren't great, but I hear Conte is small so not a bad seat in the house.

Let's Go Duke!!!

- Chillin

Fish80
12-06-2017, 04:05 PM

Similar to hazmat and has been, "has went" do be used in Boston colloquially since the day of yours when Paul Revered done rhode his stallion.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Now BC's backcourt has some talent, in fact they're really quite good,

Yes, I remember Bowman and Robinson slicing up Duke's defense pretty good in the second half of the game at Cameron last season to turn a blowout win into a slightly uncomfortable win.

This opponent has two very good, quick, penetrating guards. Let's see how we handle that. It helps that BC won't have much of anything else, especially with Hawkins out.

I'm looking to see if Duke can retain the Full Forty Focus they displayed during the StFrank game.

Yeah, looking ahead, I was pretty excited to predict that BC would be our first 40 minute effort in awhile. Then, the boys surprised me last night by doing it a game early against St Francis and now I'm wondering if we can do it back-to-back. But, the factors that would lead me to predict a focused, 40-minute effort against BC are still there:

* This will be the first time this season that Duke will have three days off (today, Thursday, and Friday) in between game days. One of those days will be a rest day, I'm sure (likely today). But we're going to have two practice days to get ready for BC.
* This is our last game before finals, and our next game won't be until Dec 20th. So the coaching staff should be able to get the players to "empty the tank" on Saturday before the long break.
* We're catching BC at the right time with the Deontae Hawkins injury. If anyone's worried about the old theory that a team dealing with a major injury can come together and play well that first game without the missing player, BC already played that game, winning at Hartford and covering the kenpom spread. Now it's time to curl up and die, Eagles.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 04:11 PM
No argument -- BC was good when they joined the ACC in 2006 (21 ACC wins in 2006 and 2007)

But Skinner kind of gave up recruiting at that point. His next team was 14-17 ... after a 22-12 bounce back, he was 15-16 in 2010 -- and the talent cupboard was empty when Steve Donohue arrived. It's been a struggle at BC ever since -- reflected by the disappearance of the crowds at the Conte Center.

But the decline started under Skinner ... not because he was fired.

True but I bet if they had stuck with Skinner, BC would've made a couple of NCAA tournaments in the 7 seasons (this season is #8) since they fired him. They were better off sticking with him, imo. Won't argue with you fiercely on this point, though.

NYBri
12-06-2017, 05:24 PM

“Earl, if I’da knowd you had want to have went, i’da seen to it you’da Got ta git ta go.”

Overheard at a bar in Louisville, Ky.

MPandolfi
12-06-2017, 06:30 PM
This is an away game. But it's really not cus Boston hates college basketball. And BC is so mediocre.

I went two years ago (and will be there again on Saturday. Go Duke!!) and was shocked at how many of the fans were cheering for a Duke. It was easily 75/25 Duke.

Henderson
12-06-2017, 07:11 PM

H.L. Mencken in 1921 described "has went" as a notable American usage and criticized those who disparaged it. I've been told that it's also heard in Canada and in Glasgow and other parts of SW Scotland. My suspicion is that it predates the time when English speakers even worried about the difference between "simple past" and "past perfect" tenses.

Now Duck Tape. Don't get me started about Duck Tape.

But back to the topic at hand.

First of all, I'm jealous of all y'all who are going. I hope you and yours have a great time. Please provide post-game atmosphere reports.

Second, I'd like BC to be a good team, and I don't understand why they never bulked up. I like that they're in the ACC more than I like that other teams are in the ACC. BC is an ACC sort of school, and surely the ACC teams (including ours) benefit from exposure to the Boston-area recruiting market.

Third, I hope Duke mauls them by 40 and makes the entire lot (players, students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alums) wish they had went somewhere else.

MChambers
12-06-2017, 07:42 PM
## Player FG-FGA FG-FGA

Instead of rimming out, his jump shots were falling. Not surprising, given his form and free throw shooting, but very nice to see.

Ima Facultiwyfe
12-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Amen!

But I fear we are fighting a losing battle.

Yep.
Love, Ima

UrinalCake
12-06-2017, 08:55 PM
I don't know if you can call this a trap game, but I wouldn't write it off as an easy win. I felt the same way about Indiana, and that game turned into a dogfight for 35 minutes (for comparison's sake, Indiana is currently 82 in Kenpom while BC is 98, so not a huge difference although this doesn't factor in BC's injury). If we play our game and keep the intensity level up we should win comfortably, but it wouldn't surprise me if this one stayed close for a while.

I wonder if Tatum and Kyrie will make an appearance in the stands? That would be awesome.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 09:38 PM
I wonder if Tatum and Kyrie will make an appearance in the stands? That would be awesome.

They start a road trip on Friday (@Spurs Friday, @Pistons Sun, etc.) so even though they have Saturday off, it'd be slightly surprising if they showed up. I don't rule it out, though. They could travel separate from the team on Saturday, attend the BC game, and then meet up in Detroit afterwards.

I don't know if you can call this a trap game, but I wouldn't write it off as an easy win. I felt the same way about Indiana, and that game turned into a dogfight for 35 minutes (for comparison's sake, Indiana is currently 82 in Kenpom while BC is 98, so not a huge difference although this doesn't factor in BC's injury). If we play our game and keep the intensity level up we should win comfortably, but it wouldn't surprise me if this one stayed close for a while.

All conference road games should be respected. It's pretty obvious that if we allow Bowman and Robinson to go off, we could lose.

That said, the circumstances are quite different between @IU and @BC. We'll be relatively well-rested, we'll have practiced twice, the crowd won't be as much of a factor, Archie Miller is probably a better coach than Jim Christian, etc.

WiJoe
12-06-2017, 11:10 PM
Can't take a road conference game for granted, no matter whom it's against.

BD80
12-07-2017, 08:10 AM
... Now Duck Tape. Don't get me started about Duck Tape.

But it IS Duck Tape, even when used on ducts.

budwom
12-07-2017, 09:03 AM

This is always important to keep in mind when easy wins are predicted. Having said that, the size and depth at the large positions makes me feel better about a lot of these road games this year.
If we don't shoot particularly well (as often happens on the road) it's nice to have some beasts around for putbacks. Marvin the Magnificent.

House P
12-07-2017, 09:33 AM

I've been to a handful of BC basketball games since 2011. In my experience, the bolded statement is mostly true. For me, the biggest drawback of the Conte Forum is that the upper section consists of benches without seatbacks or physical dividers. So, while these seat are fine view-wise, they may leave something to be desired from a comfort perspective. The lower section consists of seats with backs and armrests.

The biggest advice I can give to any Duke fan not familiar with the Conte Forum is related to parking. There is free parking (free parking in Boston!?!?) in the garage next to the stadium. After games, it can take a while to exit through the main entrance/exit on the ground floor. However, the garage is built next to a hill and there is also an exit on the top level. My advice is to park near the top of the garage and use the top level exit for a quick departure.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't been to a BC game since Duke played there 2 seasons ago, so there is a chance my info is outdated. That being said, it is not like BC has had much reason to upgrade their facilities recently.

thedukelamere
12-07-2017, 10:24 AM
I will be there as well - 4 of us.

Let's Go Duke!!!

- Chillin

My wife and I will be in attendance as well; first time in Beantown as well as my first Duke game outside of the handful I've attended in Chicago and Indy(!!).

Hopefully we can jump out to another 36-9 lead and send most of the BC faithful home early. Never count out a desperate ACC team on the road!

MCFinARL
12-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Well, sometimes. Duck Tape is a brand name for one company's duct tape.

BigWayne
12-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Reminds me of an old joke about chicken wire and duct tape.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-07-2017, 11:31 AM
Reminds me of an old joke about chicken wire and duct tape.

Please, no fowl humor here.

DukieInBrasil
12-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Please, no fowl humor here.

You laid a real egg with that joke.

rasputin
12-07-2017, 11:49 AM
You laid a real egg with that joke.

DukieInBrasil needs to be tarred & feathered.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2017, 11:53 AM
I went two years ago (and will be there again on Saturday. Go Duke!!) and was shocked at how many of the fans were cheering for a Duke. It was easily 75/25 Duke.

Was at that game too. And that ratio is very accurate. Expect another "home away from home" game here.

That said, it's the ACC. Anything can happen.

ChillinDuke
12-07-2017, 01:05 PM

Absolutely agreed. Heck, can't take a home conference game for granted.

Top-5 teams lose to worse teams than BC at home, let alone on the road. At least, I imagine they do..

- Chillin

camion
12-07-2017, 09:37 PM

Yeah, that was a bad yolk.

Green Wave Dukie
12-07-2017, 09:54 PM

If so, wonder if the POTUS will tweet about it.

Spanarkel
12-08-2017, 07:29 AM
They start a road trip on Friday (@Spurs Friday, @Pistons Sun, etc.) so even though they have Saturday off, it'd be slightly surprising if they showed up. I don't rule it out, though. They could travel separate from the team on Saturday, attend the BC game, and then meet up in Detroit afterwards.

All conference road games should be respected. It's pretty obvious that if we allow Bowman and Robinson to go off, we could lose.

That said, the circumstances are quite different between @IU and @BC. We'll be relatively well-rested, we'll have practiced twice, the crowd won't be as much of a factor, Archie Miller is probably a better coach than Jim Christian, etc.

Not in the stands, but still pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/938978861274009601

BD80
12-08-2017, 08:20 AM
Well, sometimes. Duck Tape is a brand name for one company's duct tape.

Believe it or not, it was called duck tape before it was used on ducts. I believe because of its water resistance. Once used on ducts, it began to be commonly called duct tape, rather than duck tape. That is how a company was able to trademark Duck tape.

To my knowledge, Duck tape has never been used on ducks.

mgtr
12-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Believe it or not, it was called duck tape before it was used on ducts. I believe because of its water resistance. Once used on ducts, it began to be commonly called duct tape, rather than duck tape. That is how a company was able to trademark Duck tape.

Possible exception: The ducks "WWII amphibious vehicles" used for rides at the Wisconsin Dells.:D

devildeac
12-08-2017, 08:28 AM

Close enough?

moonpie23
12-08-2017, 08:35 AM
after the St. Fran blowout, this is DEFINITELY a trap game......

do we have a Battier, Wojo, Laettner or nate on this team with the killer instinct to stuff BC in a sock before they can even get a good run going?

flyingdutchdevil
12-08-2017, 08:50 AM
after the St. Fran blowout, this is DEFINITELY a trap game...

do we have a Battier, Wojo, Laettner or nate on this team with the killer instinct to stuff BC in a sock before they can even get a good run going?

Yes. His name is Uncle Bags.

tteettimes
12-08-2017, 09:05 AM
“ bags”

Reilly
12-08-2017, 12:06 PM

Some dispute this: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-duc4.htm

I could see this debate getting sticky.

uh_no
12-08-2017, 12:28 PM

it always is when you have a light side and a dark side

Troublemaker
12-08-2017, 12:57 PM

I find the arguments on both sides to be circular and hollow. Lots of hot air blowing through.

Back to the game. We maybe surprisingly haven't faced too much zone defense this season, but I could see BC playing a lot of zone tomorrow with their lack of depth. They played zone at Nebraska but the Cornhuskers eventually shot them out of it. Hopefully we can shoot it decently tomorrow if we see a zone. And offensive rebound, hurt them from the high post, still find ways to feed it inside, etc.

dalmatians98
12-08-2017, 01:03 PM
Meanwhile, Saturday's forecast for Boston, courtesy the National Weather Service:

Saturday
Snow likely, mainly after noon. Cloudy, with a high near 34. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow, mainly before 5am. Low around 31. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

melcam
12-08-2017, 01:23 PM
“Earl, if I’da knowd you had want to have went, i’da seen to it you’da Got ta git ta go.”

Overheard at a bar in Louisville, Ky.

Saw Parker and Hood put on a show at Conte. It was a game in Jan and the students were away. Being a Duke parent I am all things Duke but being from the Boston area I felt a little sad for BC. Many more Duke fans than what BC could muster. Shoulda seen them in their Big East prime.

BD80
12-08-2017, 02:23 PM

It depends on what your definition of "it" is.

Green Wave Dukie
12-08-2017, 08:48 PM
it always is when you have a light side and a dark side

Not clear cut in my mind. The argument definitely getting into a gray area.

Tripping William
12-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Meanwhile, Saturday's forecast for Boston, courtesy the National Weather Service:

This is absolutely excellent news for Duke’ prospects tomorrow.

jimsumner
12-08-2017, 09:23 PM
It depends on what your definition of "it" is.

Based on my travels through the internet, I think "it" means the same thing as "it's."

Kedsy
12-08-2017, 09:23 PM
This is absolutely excellent news for Duke’ prospects tomorrow.

You're showing your age.

brickey
12-08-2017, 10:55 PM
I find the arguments on both sides to be circular and hollow. Lots of hot air blowing through.

Back to the game. We maybe surprisingly haven't faced too much zone defense this season, but I could see BC playing a lot of zone tomorrow with their lack of depth. They played zone at Nebraska but the Cornhuskers eventually shot them out of it. Hopefully we can shoot it decently tomorrow if we see a zone. And offensive rebound, hurt them from the high post, still find ways to feed it inside, etc.

I was pondering recently why we hadn't seen more zone since we only have one consistent 3-pt threat. Then I realized, simply taking threes might be our zone breaker, given our OR% capacity against a rebound-vulnerable zone defense. That and a few tall dudes with deft passing touch who can sit in and see over a zone. So I'm now thinking we haven't been zoned much because opposing coaches are a bit afraid to zone us. Regardless, I'd much rather get some practice against it while playing a short-handed BC than say, VT in Blacksburg, who has the offensive firepower and speed to really punish us for missing shots and missing the ensuing rebound.

Knock on wood.

DukeDevil
12-09-2017, 12:17 AM
I’m in Vegas for a conference. Spread is 15.5. Was surprised it was that high! Still bet on our devils.

budwom
12-09-2017, 09:06 AM
I’m in Vegas for a conference. Spread is 15.5. Was surprised it was that high! Still bet on our devils.

KenPom several points lower...ya never know on the road. As for the snow, good thing the BC court is indoors.

BandAlum83
12-09-2017, 09:59 AM
KenPom several points lower...ya never know on the road. As for the snow, good thing the BC court is indoors.

We had snow in atlanta yesterday and my xfinity triple play is down. I hope it comes back up before game time. :(

ETA: Better cable/phone/internet than electricity. This was a serious snowstorm! We got about 7" at my home in marietta.

DukeDevil
12-09-2017, 10:13 AM

And it’s down to 14 this am. Shoulda coulda woulda waited.

Henderson
12-09-2017, 10:16 AM
This is conference play, friends. I for one am stoked. I get more up for these games than I do about Duke-Mich. St. for example. And I'd rather watch Clemson play Wake than watch the Celtics and Cavs or even Florida and Kentucky. I want us to win, and I like scouting the competition for the conference championship.

Until the NCAAT comes around, I want this team to win the ACC title. Not just because the latter sets us up for the former, but because winning the ACC is an important goal in its own right. And it starts today. On the road.

Go Duke. Paste 'em.

hudlow
12-09-2017, 10:41 AM
I hope the sun comes out before I'm forced outside to knock the snow off the satellite dish...

Go Duke!

-jk
12-09-2017, 11:27 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
12-09-2017, 11:47 AM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/BC, starters posted...
https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-boston-college-basketball-live-stats-12092017

Green Wave Dukie
12-09-2017, 11:53 AM
I hope the sun comes out before I'm forced outside to knock the snow off the satellite dish...

Go Duke!

Did that (knocked the snow off - not brought the sun out) about an hour ago. Good to go.

arnie
12-09-2017, 12:27 PM
No awareness on D of what to do or who can hurt you.

accfanfrom1970
12-09-2017, 12:28 PM
BC 7-10 from three.

Native
12-09-2017, 12:29 PM
BC 7-10 from three.

So this is what it was like to play against JJ.

gep
12-09-2017, 12:29 PM
BC 7-10 from three.

Can that continue?

curtis325
12-09-2017, 12:30 PM
And they are still behind. If they keep up the hot shooting (unlikely) they will still lose.

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 12:42 PM
Oof. BC has gotten REALLY hot, and the fact that we were doing a lot of overhelping in the paint and leaving their shooters just as wide open as you get in high-level college basketball certainly didn't hurt them. Not often you see teams go to the zone to take away the three-point shot, but such is life for us right now. We're still giving up open shots, but they've been a step or two inside the arc (and just as I say that we give up another open three). Don't take anything away from them, though: BC's gameplan is REALLY good. They're overloading one side or the other really well and making our bigs make decisions about closing out/helping on the perimeter.

Bluedog
12-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Javin needs to stop injuring his own teammates. Looked like he kicked Grayson across the head on that block.

On another note, BC is tree'ing major....is that still an expression? I expect them to revert to the mean on their 3-pt shooting in the second half.

AGDukesky
12-09-2017, 12:49 PM
Like clockwork every year- Duke’s first road ACC game the opponent scores at will and Duke struggles...

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 12:51 PM
Understated factor today: the rebounding. We have 8 offensive boards, but it seemed like they came mostly early in the game, and I think that BC is actually doing a really good job of keeping our horses in check on that end. And BC has 7 of their own, mostly because a) long shots lead to weird rebounds, and b) our bigs are having to make choices about closing out to the perimeter that are taking them out of position. Gotta do better rebounding on both ends in the second half. That's our big advantage, and we need it to be an advantage.

jipops
S Dakota St dropping 80 pts on us in Cameron was a telling sign that defending in ACC play is going to be a struggle. Combine that with this period of the season, there is no better time for an ACC team to play Duke than right now.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
Grayson is a fighter. Not super smart on those last few drives. Playing frustrated after those bumps.

That shiner is gonna stick for a bit.

arnie
12-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Like clockwork every year- Duke’s first road ACC game the opponent scores at will and Duke struggles...

OAD defense combined with hero ball from the senior. Recipe for a bad game. Although, BC will cool off even if we don’t guard the three in 2nd half.

dudog84
12-09-2017, 12:55 PM
Anyone else find it odd that Jason Williams is sporting a Santa on a motorcycle sweatshirt?

GeneBanksManCrush
12-09-2017, 12:56 PM
This is looking like a year when we can beat anybody but can also trail, at least at halftime, to anybody.

Hauerwas
12-09-2017, 12:58 PM
Giving up 10 three pointers in the first half. Unbelievable really. Unbelievable. Once you let a bad team think they can play with you, they do. The lack of rotation, closing out on shooters and the inability to guard these guys so far is not a good omen. C'mon, you know everyone plays their Super Bowl against us, 11 games in we should know better.

TruBlu
12-09-2017, 12:59 PM
BC is 11-16 from 3. Most teams can’t shoot 11-16 from the free throw line.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Anyone else find it odd that Jason Williams is sporting a Santa on a motorcycle sweatshirt?

Gotta own it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Giving up 10 three pointers in the first half. Unbelievable really. Unbelievable. Once you let a bad team think they can play with you, they do. The lack of rotation, closing out on shooters and the inability to guard these guys so far is not a good omen. C'mon, you know everyone plays their Super Bowl against us, 11 games in we should know better.

Conversely, hitting 10 three in a half is unbelievable.

Gotta figure K is using some choice language at halftime.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2017, 01:07 PM
How are we getting killed on the boards?

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:08 PM
Are you serious, ref? Lane violation on the first free throw? BS call

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 01:11 PM
As it's been in other games where we were behind this year, we are doing a good job grinding and getting attrition fouls racking up. Fingers crossed that we can keep that going and make it a big factor down the stretch.

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 01:13 PM
WOW that call on Allen was abysmal. The ref on the far side had absolutely no business trying to make that call. That's the close ref's call or not a call at all. Come on.

DUKIE V(A)
12-09-2017, 01:15 PM
BC has been doing an incredible job of boxing out on defense (aside from the first few minutes of the game). Keeping our poise and making the easy play will be key. No need to showboat or play hero ball.

jipops
12-09-2017, 01:15 PM
This is looking like a year when we can beat anybody but can also trail, at least at halftime, to anybody.

Was thinking the same thing. Looking a lot like the problems of last year. No offensive flow and zero defensive presence. Though 2nd half looks a little better so far on the latter.

LasVegas
12-09-2017, 01:17 PM
Let’s see how we battle. A lot of room left to grow for this team. Enjoy the ride.

DUKIE V(A)
12-09-2017, 01:18 PM
As it's been in other games where we were behind this year, we are doing a good job grinding and getting attrition fouls racking up. Fingers crossed that we can keep that going and make it a big factor down the stretch.

Agreed. Next foul on BC puts us on the line. That will hopefully lead to easy points and allow Coach K to do his thing (with lots of clock stoppages).

BigZ
Team needs to use the inside advantage on offense

arnie
Are you serious, ref? Lane violation on the first free throw? BS call

If our player isn’t even aware of the game situation and steps in the lane on a FT, it’s not a BS call.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:20 PM
If our player isn’t even aware of the game situation and steps in the lane on a FT, it’s not a BS call.

On the first free throw? Come on. That's nitpicking. That same play happens at least 10 times a game i imagine. How does it affect the game at all?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Finally getting boards. In the bonus. I suspect this plays out well over the balance of the game.

BigZ
12-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Call this the Uke Blue Evils

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 01:32 PM
Great TO call there from K. Our defensive effort was slipping a bit after a couple great one on one moves and a couple of easy buckets off backcuts from BC. Slow things down, give the bigs a breather, remind the guys of the defense.

Edit:
And we force a turnover and get an and-one in the defense/offense possession after the TO. God, K is absurdly good.

InSpades
12-09-2017, 01:34 PM
The only way we lose to teams like this is to make the game an outside shooting contest. We've each taken 20 3s, they've made 7 more of them. We don't need to take that many 3s. Get the ball inside. Force them to foul us. They can't keep making 60% of their 3s but we can keep missing 75% of ours. Get the ball inside and we win this game going away.

InSpades
12-09-2017, 01:43 PM
If everyone not named Gary Trent Jr could stop shooting 3s that would be great. Thanks.

DUKIE V(A)
12-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Carter looks fresh and under control.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:47 PM
If everyone not named Gary Trent Jr could stop shooting 3s that would be great. Thanks.

Good game plan!

Bluedog
12-09-2017, 01:50 PM

I have confidence in Grayson to hit 3s too, but I understand your point.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:51 PM
Ugh Duval 3 late in the game. Why.....

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Horrendous execution down the stretch. Duval 3. Bagley turnover. Bagley turnover. Allen off balance runner.

InSpades
12-09-2017, 01:54 PM
I have confidence in Grayson to hit 3s too, but I understand your point.

You have confidence for Grayson to make a shot this game? You and he are the only ones apparently. Frustrating.

TheOldBattleship
12-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Ugh, Grayson not feeding Carter and taking that fallaway across the lane was unfortunately an absolutely huge play.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Guy flops, points at the ref while falling, and the ref calls it. Cool.

Mabdul Doobakus
12-09-2017, 01:57 PM
Well, that possession did not go well. Burned 16 seconds before an off the ball foul.

InSpades
12-09-2017, 01:58 PM
You mean you can't let teams hang around every game and expect to win it in the last 5 minutes? Very shocking.

This will be a lesson I hope they learn from it.

Bluedog
The thing that was funny is I saw Duke foul BC like three times before that but refs didn't call any of them.

Hauerwas
Why is our worst 3 point shooter shooting a 3 at that point in the game. That was the turning point in the game.

jipops
Expect 0-1 ACC starts to be the norm now that ACC play begins in the middle of December.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 01:59 PM
You mean you can't let teams hang around every game and expect to win it in the last 5 minutes? Very shocking.

This will be a lesson I hope they learn from it.

Yeah, good learning experience.

Why didn't they foul earlier? Looked like they weren't trying to at all. Shot click difference was only 2 seconds.

When was the last time Bagley touched the ball in the post? 15 minutes ago?

arnie
12-09-2017, 02:00 PM
Why is our worst 3 point shooter shooting a 3 at that point in the game. That was the turning point in the game.

Because our OADs are trying out for the NBA.

WHOneedsSOX
12-09-2017, 02:00 PM

And then 2 turnovers in a row followed by Allen off balance runner across the key followed that.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-09-2017, 02:02 PM
We will get better. Go Duke!

Hauerwas
12-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Expect 0-1 ACC starts to be the norm now that ACC play begins in the middle of December.

Wait, middle December hurts Duke but not BC, please? We got beat because we can't play defense, not because some sour grapes early December schedule. When you give up that many points to a team that struggles to score that's on us. Period. Poor game management at the end when we are up 4 and Duval launches a 3. He should never be the one taking that shot.

Duke hasn't won the ACC regular season title since K went all in on the one and done recruiting. Why? because freshman do not play K's style of defense very well and losing back to back season openers on the road is case in point. This team should NEVER lose to BC. Period. And to basically give up 90 points doing so says a great deal about how porous this duke defense really is.

They came out without a sense of urgency and those are freshmen mistakes. The only player who played defense at all in the first half was Grayson.