PDA

View Full Version : Disney/ESPN to buy Fox Sports?

nmduke2001
12-06-2017, 02:22 PM
It is being reported that Disney is in discussions to buy Foxsports regional Networks. This would not include FS1 but would include all of the FoxSports regionals like FS South, FS Arizona, Etc. Not sure how that would impact Duke sports. Interestingly, by not purchasing FS1, ESPN is basically hanging Cowherd and the other defectors out to dry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/12/05/how-the-reported-purchase-of-fox-assets-by-disney-could-save-espn/#17f3b0159c19

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-06-2017, 02:58 PM
It is being reported that Disney is in discussions to buy Foxsports regional Networks. This would not include FS1 but would include all of the FoxSports regionals like FS South, FS Arizona, Etc. Not sure how that would impact Duke sports. Interestingly, by not purchasing FS1, ESPN is basically hanging Cowherd and the other defectors out to dry.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/12/05/how-the-reported-purchase-of-fox-assets-by-disney-could-save-espn/#17f3b0159c19

If Cowherd ends up in the cold, it would be the only positive from this proposal.

ESPN is far from great, and Fox Sports is worse (IMHO) but having any sort of competition is better than having none.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2017, 03:00 PM
I'd be down with that. That would put more games available for streaming on WatchESPN, and more available for replays.

Side note, I see that they are also looking to buy stake in HULU, which I'm surprised that HULU would be into. Disney is already pulling out of Netflix to set up their own streaming service, I can't see how them also being part owners of HULU does anything but signal a death knell to those folks.

Back on topic, I like the Fox Sports buyout.

uh_no
12-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I'd be down with that. That would put more games available for streaming on WatchESPN, and more available for replays.

Side note, I see that they are also looking to buy stake in HULU, which I'm surprised that HULU would be into. Disney is already pulling out of Netflix to set up their own streaming service, I can't see how them also being part owners of HULU does anything but signal a death knell to those folks.

though watch ESPN has had major degradation of their quality. they no longer buffer as much as they should, so if you have any amount of throughput variation/constraint, it becomes unwatchable.

mattman91
12-06-2017, 04:28 PM
If this means that the Gman would be working for ESPN, and possibly calling more of our games, I'm all for it.

kako
12-06-2017, 05:14 PM
ESPN is far from great, and Fox Sports is worse (IMHO) but having any sort of competition is better than having none.

While I believe ESPN is still the best out there, I agree - sports programming needs competition, just like anything else. I hope this doesn't happen. Rather, I hope Fox steps up its game, along with the other network sports channels.

LasVegas
12-06-2017, 07:05 PM

Disney already has a stake in Hulu. 30%. They want more, supposedly.

JetpackJesus
12-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Disney already has a stake in Hulu. 30%. They want more, supposedly.

Well, Disney is in talks to buy the movie and tv production arms of Fox (this would be great for Marvel fans). This could be part of that negotiation since Fox also owns 30% of Hulu (NBC owns 30%, too, and Time Warner the remaining 10%). Reports suggest that the only thing Fox is looking to keep is news, network, and sports--I guess the regional sports network branding must be separate from the Fox Sports division.

msdukie
12-06-2017, 10:58 PM
The launch of the ACC ESPN Network in 20 months means that this will have no impact on Duke/ACC sports....

WiJoe
12-06-2017, 11:06 PM
disney owning ANYTHING is horrible.

yuck.

BigZ
12-06-2017, 11:20 PM
Undisputed > First Take

Ultrarunner
12-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Since I bear a degree of animus toward ESPN, I'd like to see them wait until after this season. Then, I won't care.

luburch
12-07-2017, 06:41 AM
Undisputed > First Take

Watching paint dry > Either of those two shows

Dev11
12-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Undisputed > First Take

Stop watching those shows, they are bad for you. Listen to the DBR Podcast instead.