PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke v. St Francis (PA) (Dec 5, 2017)

JBDuke
12-05-2017, 10:56 PM
Who was Duke's Man of the Match in their win over St. Francis (PA) tonight?

LasVegas
12-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Genetics seems like a good option

fuse
12-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Had to go with Buckmire.

I don’t normally vote. He made the most of the time he had.

BullBlue
12-05-2017, 11:06 PM
Voted for Marques Bolden for his breakout game and first Duke double/double. First of many more to come I hope.

Was tempted to go with Mike Buckmire for his 3 Pts, 1 Ast, 1 Reb in 2 minutes. Let's see, that a per 40 of 60 Pts, 20 Ast, 20 Reb? He was 100% from the floor and line too.:cool:

Saratoga2
12-05-2017, 11:08 PM
Our third string

OldPhiKap
12-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Nice game, Mr. Bolden!

Tappan Zee Devil
12-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Want to go with Bolden - but best player when he was in was Bagley - especially with the 3s
- trying to go with head, not heart

juise
12-06-2017, 03:32 AM
Voted for Marques Bolden for his breakout game and first Duke double/double. First of many more to come I hope.

Better duck and cover using the term "breakout" around K regarding Bolden's game. I found it interesting how reserved he was in his press conference when discussing Marques. The press was definitely on board with us pollsters, but K wanted to make it clear that we should expect him to play well. It just struck me as a different tone than typical K, but he generally seemed annoyed for the last half of the presser.

Doria
12-06-2017, 04:35 AM
Can’t believe none of you contrarians voted for Tucker!

SCMatt33
12-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Mike Buckmire is clearly the G.O.A.T. According to KenPom, he has an offensive rating over 200 while using over 40% of possessions, his true shooting percentage is over 100, his defensive rebounding rate is 48.3% which frankly puts Bagley and Carter to shame. Duval can't hold a candle to his 140.4 assist rate!

Seriously though, good for him. That had to be one of the best walk on sequences I can remember. maybe Jordan Davidson nailing a 3 in the Final Four, beacause it's the freakin' Final Four. I was so happy he paid it off with the free throw so he can be a rambling old man one day going, "...and I hit the free throw too, unlike these young whipper snappers who don't work hard at that stuff!"

OZZIE4DUKE
12-06-2017, 09:27 AM

Was tempted to go with Mike Buckmire for his 3 Pts, 1 Ast, 1 Reb in 2 minutes. Let's see, that a per 40 of 60 Pts, 20 Ast, 20 Reb? He was 100% from the floor and line too.:cool:
Also went with Marques, with strong consideration for Buckmire and, more importantly, Jordan Tucker, who finally got to show a little bit of what he can do! :cool:

Dev11
12-06-2017, 09:44 AM
I went with Justin Robinson, mostly for the chasedown block, which is my favorite thing in basketball.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2017, 09:53 AM
I went with Justin Robinson, mostly for the chasedown block, which is my favorite thing in basketball.

That was pretty sweet, plus his 5 points. All those guys that put the same amount of time in as our starters and first bench have to be smiling big today. I'm sure they are getting congratulations all over campus for a great show.

jv001
12-06-2017, 10:01 AM
I've been waiting for Trent to come out of his shooting slump and he did. I voted for Gary for that reason and that he got us off to a good start. GoDuke!

elvis14
12-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Can’t believe none of you contrarians voted for Tucker!

Contrarians only matter when we have a GA vs MSU type game (where it's obvious but people do stupid). Game like this, the MOTM is probably whoever scheduled the game in the first place. I'm normally all about real votes and voting for the real MOTM but today I'm all about the votes for Robinson and Buckmire!

devildeac
12-06-2017, 10:08 AM
So many outstanding plays/performances last PM, so sad I am only allotted one vote (I do not live in Chicago :rolleyes:.) and this AM it was cast for Mr. Bolden. Very well done, young man. May you have many more similar opportunities and performances in your Duke career.

szstark
12-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Buckmire by a mile. That was the greatest statistical performance I have ever seen. When does the one-and-done talk begin?

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2017, 10:54 AM
One thing I loved about Bolden's performance (and the reason that he got my vote) was he only played 15 minutes. So in playing essentially only a third of the game, he racked up 10 boards and 17 points to go along with no fouls and no turnovers. That's pretty efficient use of one's time.

kAzE
12-06-2017, 10:55 AM
So many choices here. I see Marques deservedly got a bunch of votes. He played his best game as a Blue Devil for sure. Slight caveat being he was at least a foot taller than anyone trying to guard him, and a good amount of those stats were padded in garbage time. Still, it was really good to see him look confident out there. Each member of the starting lineup was also deserving of MOTM.

I went with Grayson. 14 points on 5 shots, 5 boards, and 6 assists in just 21 minutes, playing a big role in putting this one away early. Might have come close to a triple double had he played his usual minutes.

nmduke2001
12-06-2017, 11:22 AM
If I consider the long term success of this team, I have to vote for Trent. If this game takes Trent out of his 3-point shooting slump, Duke is going to be awfully hard to beat. Consider a line-up in which Bagley and Carter can pass out of a double-team to either Allen or Trent for a three that we all expect to go in. Trent hitting open threes would make an already scary team much more terrifying for opposing coaches.

DukieInKansas
12-06-2017, 01:14 PM
I went with Robinson. His hustle to recover from having the ball tipped away to make the clean block/assist to Buckmire was just fun to see. Wish he had taken better care of the ball, but his hustle to make up for that moment of inattention was great to see.

DukieInBrasil
12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
I find the laudatory tone for Marques both pleasing and strange.
If you just look at the numbers, then yes, he had a fine game. If you watched him get those numbers it might have a different feel, and it does to me.
There were at least a couple of rebounds which came off his own missed shots, which is fine, we want offensive rebounds. The guys he was going up against were tiny. Secondly, he did some things that are poor habits which caused him to miss at least one shot, which is to bring a high rebound down to his waist or below which allowed the smaller StFrank players to disrupt his shot. I'm not convinced that his performance last night would translate all that well against a taller, stronger, more skilled opponent. I'm pleased that Marques put up career highs, but i think a tad bit of caution should go with that excitement.

Doria
12-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Contrarians only matter when we have a GA vs MSU type game (where it's obvious but people do stupid). Game like this, the MOTM is probably whoever scheduled the game in the first place. I'm normally all about real votes and voting for the real MOTM but today I'm all about the votes for Robinson and Buckmire!

Haha, well, that’s a point well taken, though I meant no disparagement by the term. Indeed, I voted for Bolden, as I love seeing his persistence paying off.

kAzE
12-06-2017, 02:18 PM
I find the laudatory tone for Marques both pleasing and strange.
If you just look at the numbers, then yes, he had a fine game. If you watched him get those numbers it might have a different feel, and it does to me.
There were at least a couple of rebounds which came off his own missed shots, which is fine, we want offensive rebounds. The guys he was going up against were tiny. Secondly, he did some things that are poor habits which caused him to miss at least one shot, which is to bring a high rebound down to his waist or below which allowed the smaller StFrank players to disrupt his shot. I'm not convinced that his performance last night would translate all that well against a taller, stronger, more skilled opponent. I'm pleased that Marques put up career highs, but i think a tad bit of caution should go with that excitement.

This feels like the classic "MOTM vote because guy who isn't usually MOTM had a nice game, even though Grayson or Marvin actually had a slightly better game."

I totally get the "feel good story" vote, and would never begrudge anyone for voting for the player of their choice. Personally, I like to withhold my vote for the guy who I thought was the best player who had the biggest impact on the game. For this particular game, it could have been any of 5-6 guys. I went with Grayson, he had a slightly better stat line, and did it hyper efficiently. Marques and Marvin would have come in 2nd and 3rd for me.

Did Marques play well? Sure he did. If anything, he gets a lot of points with me for the increased level of effort he's shown out there, especially on D. He's come a long way in terms of moving his feet and avoiding stupid fouls. He's also doing a good job playing his role, and his body language has been great, so kudos to him. However, most future NBA prospects should be expected to dominate an undersized team from a conference called the Northeast Conference (I admit that I had never heard of the school or the conference before yesterday).

Let's just hope he can replicate this effort against teams with more size.