PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 124, St Francis (PA) 67 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
12-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Wow, that's a lot of points. Put your post-game comments here.

moonpie23
12-05-2017, 10:54 PM
i hope the Admiral was watching....

brevity
12-05-2017, 10:54 PM
How many career highs in this game? Just curious.

Saratoga2
12-05-2017, 10:56 PM
I think we covered the spread!

SkyBrickey
That's a double-double for Bolden. 17 and 10. Nice work big fella.

fuse
Buckmire for MOTM, with a secondary consideration for Justin Robinson on that filthy block.

I had forgotten we hung 110 on GT last year.
Highest scoring game in (my) recent memory.

Sort of fun to watch while feeling badly for St. Francis.

Carter one board from a double double.

theschwartz
12-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Wow, 61-25 rebounding margin! 34 assists!!! That's how you show dominance!

TheOldBattleship
12-05-2017, 11:00 PM
34 assists on 48 made baskets is really good, but it's REALLY REALLY good when you factor in how many of those unassisted buckets came off putbacks. Scheyer mentioned it in his interview: if we can ping the ball around to get the defense loosened like we did today, we are just impossible to guard at this level.

SkyBrickey
12-05-2017, 11:03 PM
I know it was a fairly weak opponent but I feel like we could've beaten the Chicago Bulls tonight...

KandG
12-05-2017, 11:08 PM
I actually started to feel bad for St. Francis. That was a massive beatdown.

Completely overlooked amidst numerous highlights was a ridiculous DuLaurier block with 7:54 remaining in the second half. St. Francis guard is ahead of everyone flying down in transition, and Javin chase down blocks the layup with his left hand on the left side of the basket, then catches the rebound with his right hand ONE HANDED on the other side of the basket while falling out of bounds and just missed saving it (ref said his foot was on the line). My description doesn't begin to do justice to how athletic and spectacular the play was. I hope the Duke fan sites post video of it.

Even the bench guys had numerous highlights (especially the block by Robinson). On to the ACC...will be there on Saturday for the Boston College game. Can't wait.

DukeDevil
12-05-2017, 11:18 PM
It can be hard to find things to say after a game like this, but this is the few things I take away:
1) overmatched opponent, but this team firing on all cylinders is beautiful to watch and devastating.
2) I was really happy to watch Bolden play with strength and confidence. It almost looks like the others were looking to get him going. Someone said it in chat or the in game thread, but he played big today, size wise, and used that to dominate
3) Tucker found his shot. So did just about everyone else.
4) Our entry passes to the bigs are becoming so impressive.
5) Nobody hurt and everyone got great minutes which makes me happy.
6) it's selfish and stupid, but man I wanted them to break that half scoring record.

DukieInBrasil
12-05-2017, 11:19 PM
so nice to see so many guys get playing time and score.
5 guys set career highs in scoring. Everybody who played got a rebound. All but 3 players got an assist. Only 1 player didn't score. 3 guys hit their first collegiate FGs.
Marquese got his first double double. Marvin got his 9th, in 11 games. Trevon got double digit assists, again.

Channing
12-05-2017, 11:21 PM
That was my first glimpse of Jordan Tucker. His fluidity reminds me of Grayson as a freshman. Can see why he was a highly touted recruit and was heavily pursued by GT and Syr.

PackMan97
12-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Do that to the Cheaters and I'll never say a bad word about Duke again in my life.

That was a very very very bad thing you did, and I think I liked it.

Kedsy
12-05-2017, 11:39 PM
JRob with 5 points and 3 blocks in 8 minutes (plus an assist). Vrank 5 rebounds in 6 minutes. Mike Buckmire now has 60 points per 40 minutes in his career.

That is all.

Furniture
12-05-2017, 11:42 PM
34 assists on 48 made baskets is really good, but it's REALLY REALLY good when you factor in how many of those unassisted buckets came off putbacks. Scheyer mentioned it in his interview: if we can ping the ball around to get the defense loosened like we did today, we are just impossible to guard at this level.

Apparently Duke set their all time team assist record tonight with 34. Trevon Duval had 11 of those.
The previous was 33 vs. Miami, 2/19/1986

Duke's 124 points is fifth most in school history and the most the Blue Devils have scored this millennium. Highest total since Duke scored 126 against Mercer nearly 20 years ago.

Dukehky
12-05-2017, 11:49 PM
That was my first glimpse of Jordan Tucker. His fluidity reminds me of Grayson as a freshman. Can see why he was a highly touted recruit and was heavily pursued by GT and Syr.

Lets not get crazy. He was the 82nd ranked player in this class by 247 and 42nd in ESPN (man that has a huge variance, weird), not 24. He has nowhere near the athletic ability that Grayson did or still does. He is smooth, though, which is what you were saying, I guess.

I was really happy to see him get in, and to score. I was really afraid that after the DNP's the last couple games that he was gone after the semester a la Semi, but playing tonight, I think means we'll get to see him around a little longer. I haven't heard any transfer rumors or anything, but it was concerning from that perspective to see him at the very end of the bench and not playing since the first game of the season.

Fun game to watch. Really great to see all the guys get excited when Jordan and Mike and Justin got their points. Did you guys see Jack and Marques just lift Mike off the floor after the and-1 like he was a 20lb dumbbell? I thought that was great.

Justin has shown a lot of improvement, but somewhere up thread someone said he had the same kind of athleticism as Javin. That may be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Javin is a freak. Justin, well, Justin is tall, long, and showing he's got some skill.

Great game, not a lot to be concerned about after this one. This team lost by 12 at a pretty decent Louisville team.

If we hit 10 3's in a game, probably more like 8, I'm not sure that we can lose unless Marvin gets poked in the eye and Wendell fouls out. The latter would certainly not be out of the ordinary.

cato
12-05-2017, 11:50 PM
Do that to the Cheaters and I'll never say a bad word about Duke again in my life.

That was a very very very bad thing you did, and I think I liked it.

I don’t think I’ll live to see another 82-50, but the thought is always nice.

A nice old fashion W is all that I actually care about though.

TheOldBattleship
12-06-2017, 12:02 AM
Apparently Duke set their all time team assist record tonight with 34. Trevon Duval had 11 of those.
The previous was 33 vs. Miami, 2/19/1986

Duke's 124 points is fifth most in school history and the most the Blue Devils have scored this millennium. Highest total since Duke scored 126 against Mercer nearly 20 years ago.

Just about as complete an offensive performance as one could dream up, and against an opponent that, while physically outmatched, was reasonably well-coached and organized. That wasn't a terrible team that we played. (Though we were probably the worst possible matchup for them. Still.)

uh_no
12-06-2017, 12:10 AM
i mean maybe he's injured...or maybe transferring....but i'm guessing K is trying to send him a message to get his butt in gear!!!!

(only saying this because we were concerned for tucker the other day, and he did great tonight....hoping this gets Besser to tear up BC!)

ricks68
12-06-2017, 12:14 AM
Buckmire for MOTM, with a secondary consideration for Justin Robinson on that filthy block.

I had forgotten we hung 110 on GT last year.
Highest scoring game in (my) recent memory.

Sort of fun to watch while feeling badly for St. Francis.

Carter one board from a double double.

This Crustie's memory is not so recent, as I was in the Indoor Stadium at the 72 point second half against ACC opponent, Virginia during the 64-65 season, and the final score was Duke 136, Virginia 72. We hit 100 at the 9:58 mark remaining in the second half when Bubas cleared the bench after the regular rotation left the floor. The bench guys then proceeded to match them with 36 points on their own to go along with the regulars' 36. And yes, it was loud!!

ricks

luburch
12-06-2017, 06:51 AM
I know it was a fairly weak opponent but I feel like we could've beaten the Chicago Bulls tonight...

Last night's competition may have actually been better than the Bulls.

Troublemaker
12-06-2017, 08:15 AM
There was a question in the in-game thread about why we scheduled this team. Keep in mind that St Francis PA only lost 84-72 at Louisville, and they are the favorites to win their conference, the NEC. On Duke's schedule, Southern is actually a worse team but we weren't focused for 40 minutes against Southern like we were against SFP. Great performance all-around, and for the stat nerds, we were rewarded with a slight uptick in kenpom D rank for the first time in awhile, and against a team that spreads you out and drives.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-06-2017, 08:49 AM
That was about as fun a game as I have seen in CIS in a long time. Loved seeing the first team cheer on the rest of the fellas all night long. What a team effort. Easy to see how much fun they were all having. Could not have asked for a better finish either... Justin's nasty block and Buckmire's awesome and-1... was the loudest moment for the CIS crowd all night. Did I mention how much fun that was???

DukieInBrasil
12-06-2017, 09:05 AM
Just wanted to point out that so far, Duke is essentially playing an 8.5 man rotation. 7 guys have played in every game. Marques has played in 10 of 11, but has played in every game since he missed the first game with illness. J-Gold has played in 9 games, and sort of had the back-up PG spot in his sights, but it appears that Grayson has become the preferred alternative to Duval.
I think it's pretty likely that we see at least an 8 man rotation for a while still, if not for the whole season. Both Javin and Marques have played at a level sufficient to earn consistent playing time, and they provide great support for Bagley and Carter, so i think they'll stay in the rotation. Alex O'Connell has played beyond most people's expectations so far, and in my book, will probably continue to be the key backcourt sub. J-gold might continue to see time as a backup PG if both Duval and Grayson need to take a rest due to fouls or exhaustion.

DukeDevil
12-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I think Javin missed this dunk...but oh man...

I mean...that poor guy

I think his name is Mark Flagg

Oh Mark...

Photo credit to Goduke / Duke Athletics - http://www.goduke.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?PALBID=2194081&DB_OEM_ID=4200

davekay1971
12-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Did Robinson get credit for an assist on the block that went to Buckmire for the layup + 1?

magjayran
12-06-2017, 09:29 AM
Sure it was an over matched opponent full of guys that looked tiny compared to ours but it's a ton of fun watching our team do what it's supposed to do against some scrubs. I had more fun watching that game than I have any of the previous games this year. At least from start to finish.

FerryFor50
12-06-2017, 09:36 AM
i mean maybe he's injured...or maybe transferring...but i'm guessing K is trying to send him a message to get his butt in gear!!!!

(only saying this because we were concerned for tucker the other day, and he did great tonight...hoping this gets Besser to tear up BC!)

A+ snarking, here.

Lunchab1es
12-06-2017, 09:41 AM
JRob with 5 points and 3 blocks in 8 minutes (plus an assist). Vrank 5 rebounds in 6 minutes. Mike Buckmire now has 60 points per 40 minutes in his career.

That is all.

We need to extrapolate all of these numbers and reconfigure our minute distribution accordingly.

Also, here is my favorite sequence of the entire game:

https://streamable.com/s4x6r

Loved seeing the bench guys make huge plays in CIS!

construe
12-06-2017, 10:15 AM
Not sure what the offensive set is called that Duke ran last night (um, "butt whuppin"?), but I'll take more of that please. :D

Seriously, this is what we hope to see from Duke when the outside shots are falling, our big guys dominate (pretty much everything), and there's lots of transition offense.

When we get the next close game, it'll be interesting to see what sets Duke runs. I agree with the poster above who said that Grayson now appears to be the initial PG back-up for Trevon. I think we'll see that again when Duke needs to be methodical on offense and work for a high-percentage shot (or foul).

Henderson
12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
I think Javin missed this dunk...but oh man...

I mean...that poor guy

DD, I'm sorry, but I think we could have done without the close-ups. This was an OOC opponent that was clearly overmatched last night; no need to rub it in at the mocking expense of this guy. The original photo would have been sufficient to make the point.

BullBlue
12-06-2017, 10:24 AM
We need to extrapolate all of these numbers and reconfigure our minute distribution accordingly.

Loved that sequence, too! Also loved the reaction from the guys on the Duke bench. I think the last time we saw the bench having that much fun was this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv7A3r0a7Ns

GO TEAM DUKE!!!

DevilFalcon
12-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Something I haven't seen discussed and am pretty sure I remember correctly.
Duke (Bagley) hasn't lost a start of game tip-off yet this year.
The team with the ball first wins? True so far this season.

DukeDevil
12-06-2017, 11:04 AM

It's funny you say that, because in a previous year, I noticed the opposite effect. Any game in which we won the tipoff we tended to do badly or lose. Wish I could remember the year...

CDu
12-06-2017, 11:06 AM

As bad as the Bulls are (and I say this with sadness as a Bulls fan), and I know this is somewhat in jest. But no, and probably not even all that close. This awful Bulls team still has some serious college studs on it (Markkanen, Valentine, Jerian Grant, Kris Dunn, Kay Felder, Bobby Portis) and a couple of very big bigs (Lopez, Felicio) to boot.

DukieInBrasil
12-06-2017, 11:08 AM
Did Robinson get credit for an assist on the block that went to Buckmire for the layup + 1?

unfortunately, no. Buckmire dribbled the length of the floor, negating an assist.

uh_no
12-06-2017, 11:17 AM

giving us that extra half a possession a game advantage!

I am only kind of sarcastic. given our 122 rating, that's worth a point in every game in which there are an odd number of jump balls.

thedukelamere
12-06-2017, 11:23 AM
It's funny you say that, because in a previous year, I noticed the opposite effect. Any game in which we won the tipoff we tended to do badly or lose. Wish I could remember the year...

I remember watching Jah win his first jump ball of the year against Frank and looking around in the stands... I locked eyes with a fellow Dukie about 20 seats over. We laughed and both shrugged at the same time. What a game.

CDu
12-06-2017, 11:31 AM
Well, that was certainly fun to watch. I do feel a bit bad for St. Francis (PA), as they were overmatched and caught Duke at a very bad time. The team was clearly blistered by the staff about their effort/focus, and they were looking to make a statement. Their coach seemed like a good guy, and their players played hard. But they ran into a buzzsaw last night.

As for the game itself, it's really hard to take anything from it. We were out of our minds from 3pt range (15-26, 57.7%). When Carter, Bagley, JRob, and Goldwire combine for 5-8 from 3, you know it is going to be a long night. On top of that, the three guys we feel comfortable with as 3pt threats (Allen, O'Connell, and Trent) went 9-13. Just an obscene shooting night. Pretty much everyone had a great shooting night except for Duval, and even he had 2 or 3 layups that just rimmed out.

The highlight of the night for me was Bolden. Yes, it was a vastly overmatched (in terms of size) opponent, but this was the first time at Duke we've seen Bolden look like the player he was in high school. I don't expect him to dominate against bigger, better competition. But it at least appears to be progress.

While Duval struggled with his shot, he still wowed with his passing. He had 11 assists and just 2 turnovers (though admittedly, there were a few almost turnovers again; seems to be a staple of his game right now), and some of those assists were spectacular. He just oozes talent, and I hope he finds the right balance between going for it and playing under control. I don't want to see him get passive in trying to avoid mistakes, but I do want him to figure out when to take risks.

Carter and Bagley were just freak shows again. It's an embarrassment of riches that we have both of them. They are two of the absolute best big men in the country. The fact that they play on the same team and can coexist so well is crazy. I'm glad it is our team that they are on!

Allen had a nice, understated night. He wasn't needed to do much in this one. But I'll take a 100% fg% and 14 points, 6 assists over 21 minutes any day of the week.

O'Connell has cemented himself as the first (and possibly only) guard off the bench for meaningful games. He just has a knack for scoring.

This was a fun game for the bench guys, and almost all of them got involved. I mentioned O'Connell and Bolden already. DeLaurier continued to do DeLaurier things.

And of course we got to let the end-of-bench guys get into the fun. JRob had the best game of his career. Goldwire, Buckmire, and Tucker got career bests as well.

It's rare that you have a night in which virtually everyone is on fire. This was one of those nights. Fun to watch.

Kedsy
12-06-2017, 11:39 AM

It was either 2015 or 2016, possibly both. I remember tracking it for awhile.

DukeDevil
12-06-2017, 12:01 PM

thedukelamere reminded me it was the 2015 season, as I remember saying "oh crap" when Jah won the tip in the natty game.

trinity92
12-06-2017, 12:02 PM
DD, I'm sorry, but I think we could have done without the close-ups. This was an OOC opponent that was clearly overmatched last night; no need to rub it in at the mocking expense of this guy. The original photo would have been sufficient to make the point.

Can't agree here-- I got a good giggle out of the photo sequence and thought it was in good fun.

Dukehky
12-06-2017, 12:18 PM

Okafor lost nearly every tip that year. Strangely enough, he won the one in the national championship game.

yancem
12-06-2017, 12:18 PM

The crazy thing about JRob's and DeLaurier's blocks was that they both had to slow down in order to time the blocks. As both plays were developing you could see them adjusting their steps and lining up the ball about a second before the block.

GeneBanksManCrush
12-06-2017, 06:08 PM
This one had the feel of the New Jersey Generals going up against the Globetrotters.

NashvilleDevil
12-06-2017, 06:10 PM
This one had the feel of the New Jersey Generals going up against the Globetrotters.

I don’t know an in their primes Doug Flutie and Herschel Walker would be tough for the Globetrotters to beat.

Bob Green
12-06-2017, 07:51 PM

We lost the start of game tip-off against Texas.

kirchhausen
12-07-2017, 04:25 PM

I'm pretty sure he lost the tip against Bamba from Texas. He has won all of the others though.

BandAlum83
12-07-2017, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure he lost the tip against Bamba from Texas. He has won all of the others though.

I think it went out of bounds off us.