PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 96 - Indiana, South Dakota recaps

blazindw
12-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Episode 96 (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-96-indiana-south-dakota-recap) is here for your fun and enjoyment, just in advance of the St. Francis game tonight! On this episode, we recap the wins against Indiana and South Dakota. Jason is on husband duty so he's here for part 1 and Donald joins for part 2. We end with previews of St. Francis and Boston College, hand out Player of the Week honors, and end with a little Duke Football bowling!

Links:

iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Timestamps:

0:00 Thank you, Byrd Campbell!
0:19 Sam brings us in and explains the disjointed podcast (First half is just Sam and Jason, second half, Sam and Donald)
1:00 It’s all Jason’s fault…he was being a good husband and needed to record early
2:30 Jason pre-reacts to the South Dakota game since his segment was recorded before the game!
3:40 Jason gives general thoughts on the Indiana win
5:05 Jason - “In addition to Indiana playing at home and playing well…we’re exhausted!”
6:22 Jason thinks we saw a growing trend where Duke plays uninspired ball for 30 minutes and get it together for 10
7:33 Jason brings up a Ben Swain tweet that explains how awesome Duke’s defense has been late in the game
11:10 Sam’s thought: Duke hasn’t really found its defensive identity yet
12:15 Sam: Is this an effort problem or something fixable? Jason: Too early to say it’s not fixable
14:35 Jason notes that our outside shooting isn’t as good
17:50 Jason thinks Alex O’Connell should get more minutes
21:00 Jason thinks Wendell Carter had an incredible game
22:15 Jason also shouts out Marques Bolden for his effort during the game
24:05 Sam and Jason briefly shift to the ACC Challenge - the ACC dominated B1G!
25:00 Jason thinks there are very few B1G locks for the NCAA Tournament
30:35 We say goodbye to Jason…hope Mrs. Evans enjoys the spa!
31:20 Byrd Campbell sends a message about the Indiana game
32:15 We are now in the future. Sam is now joined by Donald and we are post-South Dakota win
33:49 Donald begins his thoughts on the Indiana game by mentioning how well Wendell Carter played
35:20 Sam mentions that Carter’s poise is so impressive, especially since he normally draws the tougher defensive assignment
36:24 Donald thinks Wendell Carter has a great back to the basket game and complements Bagley’s game well
37:26 Donald says Marques Bolden had the play of the game
38:49 Sam thinks Bolden has embraced the role of energy big guy off the bench
39:52 Donald says Bolden and Carter both go up with two hands to get rebounds - very effective
41:47 Sam and Donald talk about the South Dakota win
48:07 Sam and Donald briefly preview St. Francis and Boston College
52:52 Jason’s not here for Players of the Week, but both Donald and Sam both give it to Grayson Allen
54:12 Parting Shots - Donald brings up Duke Football’s selection to play in the Quick Lane Bowl and is happy Duke is going to his hometown
56:12 Sam’s Parting Shot - Jimbo Fisher leaves the ACC for a boatload of money
56:52 Sam’s still looking for old basketball YouTube videos - dbrpodcast@gmail.com if you have good pre-2000 ones!
58:26 Donald notes that December 6th is the 3 year anniversary of DBR Podcast Episode 1!
1:00:15 See ya! Duke Band take us home.

DukieInBrasil
12-05-2017, 10:26 AM
one thing i wonder about the defense, and the discrepancy between the defensive performance in the first 30 minutes vs the last 10, and y'all didn't mention it: are we just wearing teams down with our menagerie of enormous dudes? Not only are Bagley, Carter, DeLaurier and Bolden enormous, and athletic, but the rest of our roster is pretty tall, and for the most non-AOC part of the team, pretty powerful. That just wears people down on their defensive side trying to push and leverage our guys out of position so much. Also, when the opponent is on offense, particularly in the post, pushing against our guys, that can wear them down too.
Fatigue goes both ways, but it just seems like the way that K is deploying the talent and depth available, that Duke has more juice as the game comes to the final 10 minutes. It certainly looked that way vs FL and TX, perhaps also vs Indiana.
We here at DBR love to howl and kvetch about the lack of PT for the 12th and 13th guys, but perhaps the way that K is using the depth is an asset in ways that are wearing down the opponents making the final few minutes of the game more advantageous to Duke.
ed.- as per the podcast comment about 3pt shooting: the non-Grayson Allen part of the team is shooting 27% this year, and is at 33% overall for the year post-SDak.

UrinalCake
12-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Enjoyed the podcast as always, and thank to our hosts for making time to record amidst their busy schedules. Regarding our performances in the latter stages of every game, I have a few theories:

- K said in the postgame presser after the Florida game that our starters are pacing themselves due to the heavy minutes they are playing and the cumulative effect of all of the games we've played. He said that for most of the game they are not going all out defensively because they need to conserve energy, but then when we get to the final minutes of the game they can put forth maximal effort because there's no more game left to have to save up for. He went on to say that the team needs to learn to play the game in four-minute stretches (referring to the TV timeouts that provide natural breaks) which is something he has touted for years.

- If the above is true, it would be natural to think that K needs to play the bench more so that the starters can go harder and then get their rest. K was also asked about this in a postgame interview (I don't recall if it was the same one) and he kind of snapped at the reporter asking the question, claiming that was something fans would ask but in his mind his priority is to develop the starters, not to develop the bench. He wants the starters to learn how to play the full game, because that's what they'll be expected to do come tournament time.

- As our friend from Brazil mentioned, our opponents get worn down by the end of games having to defend our big bodies inside. Foul trouble also plays a role, whether our opponents actually foul out or have to play with 3 and 4 fouls and adjust their defense accordingly. Credit the team for sticking with their game plan even when falling behind, rather than jacking up threes to try to make up the deficit which is not at all our strength.

- Similarly, opponents start the game fired up emotionally and psychologically because they're playing the #1 team in the country and it's Duke. We also seem to start off games a bit nervous and tentative, mostly attributable to our youth. But by the end of the game, that adrenaline has worn off and both teams have settled down.

Agree with Jason that the next few weeks will be a good opportunity to get lots of practice time, review film, catch up on classwork, and rest. As far as our shooting woes, I think we're going to have to let our guys shoot out of it. Trent reminds me a lot of Luke his freshman year when he came in with a reputation as a shooter yet struggled from deep. He still found other ways to score, and by his sophomore year he exploded. In Trent's case, he is playing a much bigger role on the team so hopefully he can make that leap during the season. Duval is never going to be a good shooter, his form is just too broken, but we have to allow him to continue shooting 2-3 threes per game when he's wide open so that hopefully he can get a little more comfortable and maybe be hitting 30% or so of his shots by season's end.

JasonEvans
12-05-2017, 02:37 PM
Agree with Jason that the next few weeks will be a good opportunity to get lots of practice time, review film, catch up on classwork, and rest. As far as our shooting woes, I think we're going to have to let our guys shoot out of it. Trent reminds me a lot of Luke his freshman year when he came in with a reputation as a shooter yet struggled from deep. He still found other ways to score, and by his sophomore year he exploded. In Trent's case, he is playing a much bigger role on the team so hopefully he can make that leap during the season. Duval is never going to be a good shooter, his form is just too broken, but we have to allow him to continue shooting 2-3 threes per game when he's wide open so that hopefully he can get a little more comfortable and maybe be hitting 30% or so of his shots by season's end.

I recall waiting throughout all of Luke Kennard's freshman year for him to break out of what was obviously an uncharacteristic shooting slump from the outside. I waited... and waited... and waited.

He would show flashes -- 4-for-6 from 3 on his way to 30 points against Notre Dame or 6-for-11 from 3 scoring 26 points against NC State -- but he always followed up with continued slumping -- 0 points on 0-for-7 from 3 against Syracuse right after ND game or 0 points against Virginia 1 game after the NCSU success.

It is clear to me that Luke is a better outside shooter than Trent, and clearly a more creative scorer too. I just really hope Trent finds a way out of this slump sooner, rather than forcing us to wait until next year to see what he can really do.

-Jason "any paragraph that begins with the words 'I agree with Jason...' is one worth quoting" Evans

UrinalCake
12-06-2017, 11:34 AM
I recall waiting throughout all of Luke Kennard's freshman year for him to break out of what was obviously an uncharacteristic shooting slump from the outside. I waited... and waited... and waited.

I think the key for both of them is/was getting used to the speed of the game and the size/speed of their defenders. In high school they could just stand around, receive the ball and shoot wide open shots, but at this level they're not going to get those looks. A friend with an inside source told me that Luke spent a ton of time in practice his freshman year learning how to shoot on the move, either dribble pull-up shots or coming around screens and catch and shooting. Those are things he had never learned to do in high school. So I think Trent will eventually come around but it's going to take time. Matt Jones is another example of a guy who was a great shooter in high school but took an entire season to adjust.