PDA

View Full Version : Younger Bawlers looking to travel

Pages : [1] 2

DangerDevil
12-04-2017, 03:31 PM
“LaVar Ball told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that he has pulled his son LiAngelo out of UCLA.

The news was first reported by TMZ.

LiAngelo Ball is one of three UCLA basketball players who were indefinitely suspended after a shoplifting incident in China.

The players are subject to review for violating the university's Student Conduct Code, which includes a section on theft.

As part of their indefinite suspensions, the players haven't been allowed to suit up, practice or travel with the Bruins. Ball is a freshman who hasn't played a game for UCLA yet.”

ikiru36
12-04-2017, 03:35 PM
“LaVar Ball told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that he has pulled his son LiAngelo out of UCLA.

The news was first reported by TMZ.

LiAngelo Ball is one of three UCLA basketball players who were indefinitely suspended after a shoplifting incident in China.

The players are subject to review for violating the university's Student Conduct Code, which includes a section on theft.

As part of their indefinite suspensions, the players haven't been allowed to suit up, practice or travel with the Bruins. Ball is a freshman who hasn't played a game for UCLA yet.”

Well, LiAngelo is certain to learn his lesson now! What that lesson is perhaps is the greater issue.

Go Duke!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

budwom
12-04-2017, 03:41 PM
Well, LiAngelo is certain to learn his lesson now! What that lesson is perhaps is the greater issue.

Clearly the lesson is that fancy stores have security cameras. Beyond that, who the heck knows?

mgtr
12-04-2017, 03:47 PM
I am sure that Hayseed Junior College will welcome LiAngelo with open arms, though no scholarship!

kAzE
12-04-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm sure more will come out of this story, but I'm not sure what LaVar expected to happen. What D-1 school wouldn't suspend a scholarship player for committing a crime? You don't get special treatment just because you're Lonzo's brother. From the outside, this seems like LaVar is sabotaging his own son's career for no good reason. It's also yet another huge negative headline for LiAngelo, right when the shoplifting thing was starting to blow over. This kid cannot catch a break.

left_hook_lacey
12-04-2017, 03:58 PM
I am sure that Hayseed Junior College will welcome LiAngelo with open arms, though no scholarship!

My alma mater.

CameronBornAndBred
12-04-2017, 03:58 PM
If I were LiA, I'd say "screw you dad. I'm not going pro, and since they haven't kicked me out of school, at least I still get an education". Better to finish the year in decent academic standing than waste it. Assuming he plans to have his kid transfer, now he has to watch him sit out a year. And some other school has to decide that dealing with pops is worth a mid-level (if even) talent.

CameronBlue
12-04-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm sure more will come out of this story, but I'm not sure what LaVar expected to happen. What D-1 school wouldn't suspend a scholarship player for committing a crime? You don't get special treatment just because you're Lonzo's brother. From the outside, this seems like LaVar is sabotaging his own son's career for no good reason. It's also yet another huge negative headline for LiAngelo, right when the shoplifting thing was starting to blow over. This kid cannot catch a break.

Well if he's anything like his brother UCLA clearly has no appreciation for a kid who can't hit a jump shot. Whatever will they do without a kid with all the pro potential that a .313 FG percentage would suggest?

kAzE
12-04-2017, 04:12 PM
We're all tired of LaVar but I'm at least thankful that the most controversial story in college basketball this holiday season has absolutely nothing to do with Duke or Grayson Allen. LaVar has a monopoly on those stories. #BBB

Merry Xmas!

BandAlum83
12-04-2017, 04:17 PM
We're all tired of LaVar but I'm at least thankful that the most controversial story in college basketball this holiday season has absolutely nothing to do with Duke or Grayson Allen. LaVar has a monopoly on those stories. #BBB

Merry Xmas!

THIS!!!

CDu
12-04-2017, 04:23 PM

I don’t know that this has much to do with Ball disagreeing with the suspension. My suspicion is that it has more to do with the fact that Ball doesn’t see value in LiAngelo going to school and not being able to practice or play. Ball has already gone on record saying LiSngelo will be one-and-done. Not that LiAngelo is good enough to warrant that, but that was/is the plan. So if LiAngelo can’t participate during his one year, no reason for him to stay in school.

So I suspect LiAngelo will stay home and get “coached up” alonside his younger brother by the best coach around: LaVar, of course.

LiAngelo has always seemed to be the fly in the ointment of Ball’s plans. He just isn’t a great player. He is fortunate that Lonzo and (possibly, though this isn’t as clear) LaMelo are good enough to make the Balls rich. Heck, he might even get a tryout with an NBA team. Otherwise, his story would appear even sadder than it already may seem.

DukeFanSince1990
12-04-2017, 04:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ru8DMW-grY

weezie
12-04-2017, 04:31 PM
If I were LiA, I'd say "screw you dad. I'm not going pro, and since they haven't kicked me out of school, at least I still get an education"...

HAHAHAAAAH, good one CB&B. Zing!

sagegrouse
12-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Perhaps this is evidence that UCLA intends to expel the three basketball players for their shoplifting spree. Good old LaVar, one step ahead of the constabulary.

Pghdukie
12-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Pulling out this late in the semester tends to lean towards grades not being acceptable to the school. But then again, it is the Ball family

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh..... See ya!

Adios, Levar. Leave college basketball alone please.

I do feel for his poor children though.

PackMan97
12-04-2017, 05:01 PM
Maybe he could transfer to the Cheats? He could become my favorite cheater since Makhtar Ndaiye

subzero02
12-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh... See ya!

I wonder what this does to Lamelo's commitment to UCLA; he's a top 20 talent in the class of 2019 and much better than Liangelo. I just can't wait for Trump's insight on the matter.

MartyClark
12-04-2017, 05:35 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh.... See ya!

Lonzo is relatively bulletproof with his NBA contract. LaVar is making some bad decisions for the two younger kids.

subzero02
12-04-2017, 05:43 PM
"We get back over here and the consequences were even stiffer than China. So basically they're in jail here."

That's one of several choice quotes from this article. He also compares Liangelo to our own JJ Redick.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21667748/lavar-ball-pulls-son-liangelo-ball-ucla

DukieInKansas
12-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Better the "jail" they are currently in than the one they avoided in China.

MrPoon
12-04-2017, 06:37 PM
#undrafted.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2017, 06:47 PM
I bet LaVar didn’t even thank Trump for getting his son out of UCLA. #Sad

Tripping William
12-04-2017, 06:49 PM

Or the one in which Rashad McCants was incarcerated....

Tripping William
12-04-2017, 06:50 PM

Does Trump U. field a team? If so, he could almost lead the conference in steals. Almost.

Jeffrey
12-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Exactly! The POTUS needed to get involved to keep them out of jail. I doubt that would have happened if the other 99% of U.S.A. kids made the same horrible decision.

Of course, our very own, Jay Williams thought they should have only been suspended for 2 games. Not sure what Jay thought would have happened if the other 99% of U.S.A. kids made the same horrible decision. Maybe, a 2 Nintendo game suspension?

OldPhiKap
12-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Does Trump U. field a team? If so, he could almost lead the conference in steals. Almost.

I would make a joke about unforced errors, but that would be wrong. So I won’t.

Go Duke.

22JumpShots
12-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Not sure why you all keep bashing Trump on this one. I believe he was right. Personally I am glad and find it hilarious that he called out LaVar on his BS for the world to see. Trump helped that kid (who made a mistake) out of Chinese prison time (potentially 10 years. Stealing in a communist country? Big no no.) by personally speaking with the Chinese President himself. For LaVar to act like China was weak on the kids vs. how UCLA handles is foolish, as China never had the chance to put the kids on trial, etc. LaVar wouldn't even have a platform if it wasn't for ESPN promoting that crap. They are failing themselves, and I wouldn't be surprised if the LaVar story is probably the top click of the day. That is whats #sad. Make our monopolized sports network great again.

GO DUKE!

OldPhiKap
12-04-2017, 07:18 PM
Not sure why you all keep bashing Trump on this one. I believe he was right. Personally I am glad and find it hilarious that he called out LaVar on his BS for the world to see. Trump helped that kid (who made a mistake) out of Chinese prison time (potentially 10 years. Stealing in a communist country? Big no no.) by personally speaking with the Chinese President himself. For LaVar to act like China was weak on the kids vs. how UCLA handles is foolish, as China never had the chance to put the kids on trial, etc. LaVar wouldn't even have a platform if it wasn't for ESPN promoting that crap. They are failing themselves, and I wouldn't be surprised if the LaVar story is probably the top click of the day. That is whats #sad. Make our monopolized sports network great again.

GO DUKE!

Not bashing at all, just making a joke. At LaVar’s expense, not Trump’s.

If it were not for SNL, I would not even know who LaVar is frankly. Don’t give a flip about him one way or the other.

dudog84
12-04-2017, 07:30 PM

GO DUKE!

I'm not sure it's Trump bashing, there's plenty of room for that elsewhere. Just not on this board. And unfortunately, I think any president would have done the same. Though it may have taken longer. Those kids are extremely fortunate that the president was in China at the time.

I have no tolerance for this stupidity. I think they should have been prosecuted like anyone else. Just like that kid from North Korea. If you're stupid enough to go to North Korea, and then do something inane when you know what that regime is like, then you get what's coming to you. It's terrible that he died, but every second something terrible is happening to someone in this world and the news media and our politicians don't go apes**t over it.

Pghdukie
12-04-2017, 07:37 PM
Interesting that the 2 other participants are rarely named or even heard of. I wonder if their parents thanked Trump? Are they still in school?

DukieInKansas
12-04-2017, 07:39 PM
Interesting that the 2 other participants are rarely named or even heard of. I wonder if their parents thanked Trump? Are they still in school?

It appears the other two and their families are playing it smart - heads down, keeping out of trouble, don't call attention to yourself. For them, this will eventually pass.

Unfortunately for the middle Ball son, his father appears to be wanting to keep him in the news. I'm not convinced that any publicity is good publicity in this case - at least for the son.

subzero02
12-04-2017, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure it's Trump bashing, there's plenty of room for that elsewhere. Just not on this board. And unfortunately, I think any president would have done the same. Though it may have taken longer. Those kids are extremely fortunate that the president was in China at the time.

I have no tolerance for this stupidity. I think they should have been prosecuted like anyone else. Just like that kid from North Korea. If you're stupid enough to go to North Korea, and then do something inane when you know what that regime is like, then you get what's coming to you. It's terrible that he died, but every second something terrible is happening to someone in this world and the news media and our politicians don't go apes**t over it.

I think this move by Lavar opens the door for an endorsement deal with Gucci.

OldPhiKap
12-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Q: what’s the difference between LaVar Ball and a Kardashian?

A: I don’t know, either.

Jim3k
12-04-2017, 07:55 PM
The 10 year jail sentence for shoplifting in China has been tossed around by many news outlets, broadcasters, critics and even Trump.

But is is accurate?

This AJC article (http://www.myajc.com/sports/college/house-arrest-likely-punishment-for-arrested-ucla-players/zXcfBCY0FmYoEI3CLxOsbI/amp.html) from November 9 seems to say it would never have happened. Ten-day house arrest for the players, maybe even at the team hotel.

Looks like they faced worse from UCLA's student discipline system. Expulsion was always on the table there. Theft is grounds for expulsion.

UrinalCake
12-04-2017, 08:00 PM
Didn’t LaVar also pull the youngest son off his high school team because he didn’t like how the coach was coaching? Man, what a circus.

CDu
12-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Didn’t LaVar also pull the youngest son off his high school team because he didn’t like how the coach was coaching? Man, what a circus.

Yep. LaVar is “home schooling” LaMelo. Which should of course be another eligibility yellow flag (in addition to the shoe deal) for him. From the sounds of it, LaMelo likely won’t be going to UCLA now. I have to wonder if he will even play college ball at all, or just sit out the year and prep for the draft.

Lonzo’s struggles at the pro level are, of course, problematic for LaVar’s brand. But LiAngelo presents an entirely different hurdle. He just isn’t very good. In some ways, the suspension creates a bailout for LaVar: he can save face rather than having the embarrassment of LiAngelo not being even a key regular in college. Hard to rep the Big Baller brand when you aren’t a player. This way, LaVar can hide LiAngelo and try to build an aura about the kid. It almost certainly won’t work in the long run. But it creates a nice stall tactic to avoid really hurting the brand for until/if Lonzo becomes a star.

CameronBornAndBred
12-04-2017, 09:28 PM
It appears the other two and their families are playing it smart - heads down, keeping out of trouble, don't call attention to yourself.

AKA being normal people.

devildeac
12-04-2017, 09:44 PM

I dunno about that. I seem to recall enjoying the circus when I was taken as a kid a couple times and when we took our children.

;):rolleyes:

devilsadvocate85
12-04-2017, 10:20 PM

I think Trump should have negotiated an exchange. The 3 kids come home and LaVar stays in China. Oh, and pull his passport for good measure.

BD80
12-05-2017, 04:55 AM
I think Trump should have negotiated an exchange. The 3 kids come home and LaVar stays in China. Oh, and pull his passport for good measure.

Act of war?

OldPhiKap
12-05-2017, 06:33 AM
Act of war?

LaVar could turn out to be the Dennis Rodman of diplomacy. I say it’s worth a shot.

swood1000
12-05-2017, 08:07 AM
Pulling out this late in the semester tends to lean towards grades not being acceptable to the school. But then again, it is the Ball family

Could also be that LaVar finally accepted that LiAngelo is not going to get any playing time this year or ever at UCLA, and he thinks that wouldn’t be good optics with the NBA scouts. But how are those scouts going to get to see LiAngelo and LaMelo at this point? I guess that’s less of an issue for LaMelo. There’s talk of their playing for international teams. Maybe LaVar figures he can get LiAngelo some playing time without having to transfer and sit out a year, and that it won’t be worse for LaMelo to go that route compared to staying in high school. Of course LaVar wouldn’t be coaching them then, which he said is his objective.

weezie
12-05-2017, 08:12 AM
LaVar could turn out to be the Dennis Rodman of diplomacy...

May I once again point out that Rodman, despite his many issues, was indeed a stone cold REAL baller? I rush to the defense of an acknowledged premier defender. Let us not besmirch Rodman's Defensive Player of the Year status, multiple first team Defense awards and five championship rings by comparing him to this idiotic jackass Lavar clown.

No matter how tempting! :cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-05-2017, 08:18 AM
May I once again point out that Rodman, despite his many issues, was indeed a stone cold REAL baller? I rush to the defense of an acknowledged premier defender. Let us not besmirch Rodman's Defensive Player of the Year status, multiple first team Defense awards and five championship rings by comparing him to this idiotic jackass Lavar clown.

You didn't even mention his absurd rebounding skills.

True baller.

swood1000
12-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Maybe LaVar is addicted to being in the headlines, and when he felt the spotlight dimming he did what he felt he had to do to get back into the limelight. What he did last summer (http://www.businessinsider.com/lavar-ball-technical-aau-big-ballers-forfeit-2017-7) also seems to fit this pattern.

On Saturday while taking part in the Double Pump Best of Summer Tournament, the Big Ballers were up 69-60 in the second half of a playoff game when LaVar was called for a technical foul for a few comments he had made criticizing calls from the sidelines.

Almost immediately, Ball stood up off the bench and led the Big Ballers out the gym in protest, forfeiting the game. …

The coach of the opposing team, Clutch Players Navy, had this to say of the incident.

"We appreciate all the attention that our game against the Big Ballers has brought to us. While we don't agree with the one-sided videos his program has produced or agree that there was cheating going on, Mr. Ball is entitled to his own opinion. I am proud of the way our boys competed, stayed focused, and respected the game."

OldPhiKap
12-05-2017, 09:03 AM

You didn't even mention his absurd rebounding skills.

True baller.

Okay, I’m properly chastised.

I should have said that LaVar may be the Bill Lambert of interpersonal relationships.

;-)

(“The Worm” was a warrior inside. But he’s a Super Freak. LaVar, by contrast, just seems like an egotistical jackass).

arnie
12-05-2017, 09:36 AM
Of course LaVar wouldn’t be coaching them then, which he said is his objective.

One possible solution: The Donald and Lavar go in together and purchase the 76ers. Then LaVar can coach all 3 sons along with Okafor, Redick and a few more scrubs. Would be entertaining, although this scenario would be even more fun with the Knicks.

BandAlum83
12-05-2017, 09:37 AM
Maybe he could transfer to the Cheats? He could become my favorite cheater since Makhtar Ndaiye

Is that Tyler Hainsboro's Swahili name?

Henderson
12-05-2017, 09:39 AM
What still ticks me off about the whole Trump/Xi/LiAngelo story is that no one thanked LiAngelo for trying to score some protective eclipse eye gear for our President.

With zero chance of ever being drafted by an NBA team, maybe LiAngelo can get a contract with a Chinese team. Maybe the Gaungzhou Bandits? Would he lead the league in steals?

Jeffrey
12-05-2017, 10:11 AM
Q: what’s the difference between LaVar Ball and a Kardashian?

A: I don’t know, either.

.... and plan on keeping it that way!

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Alford released a statement yesterday.

"We learned today of LiAngelo Ball's intention to withdraw from UCLA," he said. "̶W̶e̶ r̶e̶s̶p̶e̶c̶t̶ t̶h̶e̶ d̶e̶c̶i̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ h̶e̶ a̶n̶d̶ h̶i̶s̶ f̶a̶m̶i̶l̶y̶ h̶a̶v̶e̶ m̶a̶d̶e̶,̶ a̶n̶d̶ w̶e̶ w̶i̶s̶h̶ h̶i̶m̶ a̶l̶l̶ t̶h̶e̶ b̶e̶s̶t̶ i̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ f̶u̶t̶u̶r̶e̶.̶ Whew!"

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21667748/lavar-ball-pulls-son-liangelo-ball-ucla

Henderson
12-05-2017, 11:59 AM
I don't think LiAngelo to China is crazy: According to that ESPN article linked above, "Ball told ESPN he hasn't decided where LiAngelo will play this season."

Shoes, steals, marketing buzz, maybe a highly publicized Tweet battle ... Does LiAngelo offer better opportunities for LaVar than the China opportunity?

subzero02
12-05-2017, 01:57 PM
Is that Tyler Hainsboro's Swahili name?

Hansbrough... it's a name that travels so well that he currently plays pro ball in China.

cato
12-05-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't think LiAngelo to China is crazy: According to that ESPN article linked above, "Ball told ESPN he hasn't decided where LiAngelo will play this season."

Shoes, steals, marketing buzz, maybe a highly publicized Tweet battle ... Does LiAngelo offer better opportunities for LaVar than the China opportunity?

I assumed the one condition to the boys’ release by Chinese authorities was, “we better not see you again.”

Wander
12-05-2017, 02:17 PM
One possible solution: The Donald and Lavar go in together and purchase the 76ers. Then LaVar can coach all 3 sons along with Okafor, Redick and a few more scrubs. Would be entertaining, although this scenario would be even more fun with the Knicks.

What did Okafor and Redick do to you to deserve that fate?!

BandAlum83
12-05-2017, 02:18 PM
Hansbrough... it's a name that travels so well that he currently plays pro ball in China.

I knew it was spelled incorrectly, but I really don't care. I don't pay much attention when it comes to players down the road.

BD80
12-05-2017, 03:58 PM
I just saw a clip from some interview LaVar "gave."

He is guaranteeing that all three of his sons will be playing for the Lakers, he has no plan B.

Luke Walton is thinking: "Whaaaat?"

Rob Pelinka is laughing harder than anyone.

-jk
12-05-2017, 04:41 PM
Just got this:

Courtesy of Bovada, (www.Bovada.lv, Twitter: @BovadaLV):

Will LiAngelo Ball be drafted in the 2018 NBA Draft?

Yes +2500 (25/1)
No -10000 (1/100)

-jk

uh_no
12-05-2017, 05:09 PM
Just got this:

-jk

still a better return than a savings account.....and probably less risky!

TKG
12-07-2017, 12:52 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21701171/lavar-ball-sons-liangelo-lamelo-sign-agent-harrison-gaines

Liangelo and LaMelo sign with agent and will play overseas.

flyingdutchdevil
12-07-2017, 12:55 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21701171/lavar-ball-sons-liangelo-lamelo-sign-agent-harrison-gaines

Great opportunity to start Grand Baller Brand. Or Uber Baller Brand. Or Megalo Baller Brand. Probably not 大 Baller Brand...

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2017, 01:15 PM
How many teams will say Nyet to having to deal with Lavar?

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2017, 01:20 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of parenting. So dad is putting his sons' future in the BBB basket, which is all dependent on them actually being successful. They may be, but more than likely only one has a guaranteed future. So for the long term, Lonzo has to carry the weight of supporting his entire family.
None of them has an education, and LaMelo doesn't even have a HS diploma to show off. (And likely never will.)
One significant injury, or simply bad play, will leave #3 dependent on #1 for life. And blaming dad.

swood1000
12-07-2017, 01:35 PM

"I don't care about the money," LaVar Ball said on Thursday morning. "I want them to go somewhere where they will play them together on the court at the same time. The priority is for the boys to play on the same team."

If they want LaMelo they have to take LiAngelo too. (And promise to play him?)

mgtr
12-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Maybe Syria has a professional basketball team and would like to have two straight-arrow American players. Oh, wait.... ;)

moonpie23
12-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Maybe LaVar is addicted to being in the headlines, and when he felt the spotlight dimming he did what he felt he had to do to get back into the limelight.

just like the other guy....

Jeffrey
12-07-2017, 01:59 PM
"I don't care about the money," LaVar Ball said on Thursday morning. "I want them to go somewhere where they will play them together on the court at the same time. The priority is for the boys to play on the same team."

Lonzo, are you listening to me?
I said, LaMelo, what do you want to be?
I said, LiAngelo, you can make real your dreams
But you got to know this one thing
No man does it all by himself
I said, Lonzo, put your pride on the shelf
And just go there, to the YMCA
I'm sure they can help you today
It's fun to play at the YMCA
It's fun to play at the YMCA!

AtlDuke72
12-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a worse case of parenting. So dad is putting his sons' future in the BBB basket, which is all dependent on them actually being successful. They may be, but more than likely only one has a guaranteed future. So for the long term, Lonzo has to carry the weight of supporting his entire family.
None of them has an education, and LaMelo doesn't even have a HS diploma to show off. (And likely never will.)
One significant injury, or simply bad play, will leave #3 dependent on #1 for life. And blaming dad.

If #1 wants to support them all he will have plenty of money to do it.

dudog84
12-07-2017, 02:21 PM

Not if he doesn't start playing better. Yes I know, regardless, Lonzo will make millions. But this bunch will go through millions like you and I go through 20s.

Honestly, I see a reality show in their future. Damn, they'll probably always make money.

subzero02
12-07-2017, 02:27 PM
So Lamelo will likely have 2.5 years of professional basketball experience before he is eligible for the NBA draft in the summer of 2020. This cold workout in his favor or it could be a disaster. The kid is very talented.

kAzE
12-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Great opportunity to start Grand Baller Brand. Or Uber Baller Brand. Or Megalo Baller Brand. Probably not 大 Baller Brand...

Why not? I mean, what would be more ironic than the Ball Bros playing professionally in China? It would be even more funny if they were promised playing time and then couldn't get off the bench for their team because they aren't that good. The CBA is full of ex-NBAers and once-notable D1 college guys (Carlos Boozer & Shav Randolph!), so the level of talent is probably way better than what the 2 younger Balls bring to the table. Lavar would freak out and probably doing something really dumb, like piss off everyone in China. I'm rooting for it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Thankfully he has those business classes to help him out with managing all that dough. Oh, wait...

mgtr
12-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Why not? I mean, what would be more ironic than the Ball Bros playing professionally in China? It would be even more funny if they were promised playing time and then couldn't get off the bench for their team because they aren't that good. The CBA is full of ex-NBAers and once-notable D1 college guys (Carlos Boozer & Shav Randolph!), so the level of talent is probably way better than what the 2 younger Balls bring to the table. Lavar would freak out and probably doing something really dumb, like piss off everyone in China. I'm rooting for it.

How ironic is the Big Baller Brand ended up starting WWIII? Scary to even think about!

CDu
12-07-2017, 02:36 PM
So Lamelo will likely have 2.5 years of professional basketball experience before he is eligible for the NBA draft in the summer of 2020. This cold workout in his favor or it could be a disaster. The kid is very talented.

I have trouble seeing a lot of appealing places for a teenage LaMelo AND LiAngelo to go play together. Also, I wonder if LaVar understands the restrictions most international leagues place on Americans per team. It's going to be hard to find a team that is willing to take on ONE of them, let alone both. And whatever team might be willing to take both probably isn't going to be a very good team in a good league (read: won't be able to pay much).

Ultimately, there was never going to be a good "play" for LiAngelo, because he apparently just isn't that good. His best bet (aside from just mooching off his brother) was to get his degree from UCLA. No?

As for LaMelo, this does not seem like a good decision for at all. He's almost certainly not physically ready to play against professionals, let alone in a foreign country where protections for players can be suspect and the team's interests most certainly trump the player's. And on top of that he actually WAS a pretty highly rated recruit. Not as good as Lonzo, but still a top-20 kid in his class. Even if he didn't go to UCLA, he'd be an immediate star at almost any college he chose, and would set himself up nicely to get drafted. Now? Yeesh. It's a very dangerous gamble.

It seems that LaVar has now leveraged both his oldest and youngest sons in an attempt to further the career of the less talented middle son. It hasn't wound up costing Lonzo anything but money so far. But it may have a huge negative impact on LaMelo.

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2017, 02:39 PM
As for LaMelo, this does not seem like a good decision for at all. He's almost certainly not physically ready to play against professionals, let alone in a foreign country where protections for players can be suspect and the team's interests most certainly trump the player's.

Remember Lonzo's coming out party in the league? I think it has abated some, but he got everyone's best shot, and then some. Can you imagine physically immature LeMelo getting the same welcome during his games? He is likely in for a brutal initiation to professional basketball. Placing him on immediate injury watch.

kAzE
12-07-2017, 02:46 PM
I have trouble seeing a lot of appealing places for a teenage LaMelo AND LiAngelo to go play together. Also, I wonder if LaVar understands the restrictions most international leagues place on Americans per team. It's going to be hard to find a team that is willing to take on ONE of them, let alone both. And whatever team might be willing to take both probably isn't going to be a very good team in a good league (read: won't be able to pay much).

Ultimately, there was never going to be a good "play" for LiAngelo, because he apparently just isn't that good. His best bet (aside from just mooching off his brother) was to get his degree from UCLA. No?

As for LaMelo, this does not seem like a good decision for at all. He's almost certainly not physically ready to play against professionals, let alone in a foreign country where protections for players can be suspect and the team's interests most certainly trump the player's. And on top of that he actually WAS a pretty highly rated recruit. Not as good as Lonzo, but still a top-20 kid in his class. Even if he didn't go to UCLA, he'd be an immediate star at almost any college he chose, and would set himself up nicely to get drafted. Now? Yeesh. It's a very dangerous gamble.

It seems that LaVar has now leveraged both his oldest and youngest sons in an attempt to further the career of the less talented middle son. It hasn't wound up costing Lonzo anything but money so far. But it may have a huge negative impact on LaMelo.

You're right, they probably won't get an offer anything close to what Lavar wants. Apparently, international teams already know these guys are a joke. Check out this article: a lithuanian team offered the Balls a security gig. (https://247sports.com/Bolt/Lithuanian-club-team-KK-Lietkabelis-Panevezys-offers-LiAngelo-and-LaMelo-Ball-a-a-job-on-their-security-staff-111845489)

JetpackJesus
12-07-2017, 03:13 PM

I'm sure at least part of this choice relates to the fact that Lavar likely blew LaMelo's NCAA eligibility by giving him a signature shoe. I suspect the uncertainty about his eligibility would significantly cut the number of teams recruiting him (assuming UCLA planned to cut ties with LaMelo).

moonpie23
12-07-2017, 03:19 PM
looks like they signed with an agent, so, that ship has saled (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21701171/lavar-ball-sons-liangelo-lamelo-sign-agent-harrison-gaines)......

JetpackJesus
12-07-2017, 03:22 PM
looks like they signed with an agent, so, that ship has saled (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21701171/lavar-ball-sons-liangelo-lamelo-sign-agent-harrison-gaines)...

https://media.giphy.com/media/HdwrQX45CI9ZS/giphy.gif

CDu
12-07-2017, 03:22 PM
The saddest part is that LaMelo has now lost out on enjoying his last two years of fun basketball. He's a 16/17 year old that now has to go try to make it on a professional team, playing with adults fighting for their livelihood. This really isn't a good thing for him.

What LaVar was doing up until today was largely just a silly sideshow, mostly harmless (aside from putting a target on Lonzo's back in the NBA). This appears to be the first clear step he's actively taken in detriment to his kids' lives. It's a shame. Hopefully it doesn't hurt LaMelo. Kids don't deserve to carry their parents' sins.

uh_no
12-07-2017, 03:25 PM
The saddest part is that LaMelo has now lost out on enjoying his last two years of fun basketball. He's a 16/17 year old that now has to go try to make it on a professional team, playing with adults fighting for their livelihood. This really isn't a good thing for him.

What LaVar was doing up until today was largely just a silly sideshow, mostly harmless (aside from putting a target on Lonzo's back in the NBA). This appears to be the first clear step he's actively taken in detriment to his kids' lives. It's a shame. Hopefully it doesn't hurt LaMelo. Kids don't deserve to carry their parents' sins.

what was pulling his youngest out of high school, then?

sagegrouse
12-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Is there a chance that Lavar could accompany LiAngelo and LaMelo overseas?

CDu
12-07-2017, 03:31 PM

At least at that point LaMelo could still play AAU ball. Though I agree, that was also a bad decision for the kid.

CDu
12-07-2017, 03:32 PM
Is there a chance that Lavar could accompany LiAngelo and LaMelo overseas?

I has said that he will go over there (wherever "there" ends up being) at first, and will jump back and forth between Lonzo's team and the others' team(s). And that two of the uncles will stay with them full-time.

swood1000
12-07-2017, 03:39 PM
I suspect the uncertainty about his eligibility would significantly cut the number of teams recruiting him (assuming UCLA planned to cut ties with LaMelo).

Except that athletes can request final amateurism certification (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/How_to_Request_Final_Amateurism_Certification.pdf) and colleges can no doubt do so as well, prior to making an offer, or make an offer contingent on eligibility being certified.

CDu
12-07-2017, 03:51 PM
I has said that he will go over there (wherever "there" ends up being) at first, and will jump back and forth between Lonzo's team and the others' team(s). And that two of the uncles will stay with them full-time.

For correctness, replace "I" with "He" to start my previous post. :/

CameronBornAndBred
12-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Here's what reality looks like.

But it may not be easy to find a fit. Most European club executives with whom B/R spoke want nothing to do with the Balls, simply because neither son comes with a proven track record. Francesc Solana, general manager of Spanish club MoraBanc Andorra, and a regular at the annual NBA Summer League in Las Vegas, was approached by the Ball family this week but remains skeptical of their intentions and credentials.
"LiAngelo and LaMelo were offered to our team, both kids, looking for a deal in Europe. Money isn't an issue to them, but they have zero experience, so it's difficult to take them seriously," Solana said. "I don't know what to do with the dad, LaVar Ball (laughs). This isn't a good or normal situation; I don't like it, we are not going to sign them."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas

Edit, as little as I enjoy B/R, that's a pretty good read. Most informative opinions I've seen from those that count.

CDu
12-07-2017, 04:00 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747968-this-isnt-entertainment-basketball-do-ball-brothers-have-a-future-overseas

Yep. I don't think LaVar realizes how unlikely it is that his kids are going to wind up, together, in a good situation. I'm not even convinced that they can wind up together at all. But I suspect that if they can, the level of team/league that would be interested is probably pretty darn bad. I mean, we are essentially talking about two high school kids (one just 16/17, and the other not very good). It's hard to see a foreign team jumping at the chance to blow their limited American roster spots on them.

And on top of that, there is no "name value" to LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball outside of the US. I doubt teams in Romania are lining up to sign a pair of no-name high school kids who aren't all that great.

JetpackJesus
12-07-2017, 04:17 PM
Except that athletes can request final amateurism certification (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Student_Resources/How_to_Request_Final_Amateurism_Certification.pdf) and colleges can no doubt do so as well, prior to making an offer, or make an offer contingent on eligibility being certified.

Thanks for that info, but I think my point still stands.

If you plan to enroll in the Fall semester, you may login and request your final amateurism certification on or after April 1 of that year.
Top recruits are being offered and committing well before the April 1 before their Freshman fall semester. If I'm a top-tier NCAA program, am I giving up one of my scholarships and likely the opportunity to recruit another top-player at the same position for a kid who I may find out is ineligible long after I have the opportunity to replace him?

And it's not like anyone has been actively recruiting LaMelo since he's been long-committed to UCLA. So he'd basically be starting from scratch with a giant question mark slapped on him by his dad. I guess it's possible the NCAA would make known their position on LaMelo's amateur status much earlier than the final certification process, but we don't know that at this point.

swood1000
12-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Thanks for that info, but I think my point still stands.

Top recruits are being offered and committing well before the April 1 before their Freshman fall semester. If I'm a top-tier NCAA program, am I giving up one of my scholarships and likely the opportunity to recruit another top-player at the same position for a kid who I may find out is ineligible long after I have the opportunity to replace him?

And it's not like anyone has been actively recruiting LaMelo since he's been long-committed to UCLA. So he'd basically be starting from scratch with a giant question mark slapped on him by his dad. I guess it's possible the NCAA would make known their position on LaMelo's amateur status much earlier than the final certification process, but we don't know that at this point.

Is it conceivable that colleges are unable to request certification for high profile athletes before April of the year of graduation when there are potentially disqualifying issues? Why would they have allowed such a rule? The rules also say (https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/hurstathletics.com/documents/2013/12/2/How_to_Navigate_the_NCAA_Process.pdf) that even students can get a preliminary certification in June of their junior year in high school:

If the college-bound student-athlete is on active Institutional Request List (IRL), the NCAA Eligibility Center will perform a preliminary certification using six-semester transcript.

• Great resource to know where college-bound student-athlete is academically; can help guide future course selection and/or academic effort.

wilson
12-07-2017, 05:28 PM
"i don't care about the money," lavar ball said on thursday morning. "i want them to go somewhere where they will play them together on the court at the same time. The priority is for the boys to play on the same team."

lonzo, are you listening to me?
I said, lamelo, what do you want to be?
I said, liangelo, you can make real your dreams
but you got to know this one thing
no man does it all by himself
i said, lonzo, put your pride on the shelf
and just go there, to the ymca
i'm sure they can help you today
it's fun to play at the ymca
it's fun to play at the ymca!spork this man

dudog84
12-07-2017, 05:43 PM

I don't think he ever had any intention of home-schooling his kid. That would require work. Maybe some brains.

MartyClark
12-07-2017, 06:13 PM
I don't think he ever had any intention of home-schooling his kid. That would require work. Maybe some brains.

Agree.

He has also overplayed his hand, I think, at the expense of the two younger kids. Euro basketball sounds difficult. Practice every day, 2 games at most per week, no questioning of the coach. The youngest Ball kid is apparently talented but he will get eaten alive by tough men who are older and stronger than him. The middle kid probably isn't good enough to play in any of the good Euro leagues.

Nolan Smith, a really good player and sound guy, encountered big problems in Turkey with his coach. I can't imagine any of the good Euro teams wanting these guys or putting up with LaVar and the uncles.

BD80
12-07-2017, 06:21 PM

Edit, as little as I enjoy B/R, that's a pretty good read. Most informative opinions I've seen from those that count.

Sure, the European leagues are going to put up with a prima donna soccer-dad just to get the chance to sign a kid that wasn't good enough to play for an average college team and his younger brother who last played as a junior in high school.

Those two would get absolutely chewed up by the grown men playing pro in Europe.

JetpackJesus
12-07-2017, 06:26 PM
Is it conceivable that colleges are unable to request certification for high profile athletes before April of the year of graduation when there are potentially disqualifying issues? Why would they have allowed such a rule? The rules also say (https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/hurstathletics.com/documents/2013/12/2/How_to_Navigate_the_NCAA_Process.pdf) that even students can get a preliminary certification in June of their junior year in high school:

Unfortunately, I don't have time to review that slide show in-depth, but two things come to mind: (1) does the preliminary certification relate to amateur status in the way we are discussing LaMelo, or is it an academic preliminary certification--it says preliminary certification is based on a review of a six-semester HS transcripts and is a great way to know where the athlete stands academically (EDIT: Oops. I just realized your post had this language quoted)?; and (2) would the NCAA certify LaMelo preliminarily at all if it can do an amateurism certification? I know you're better versed in the rules and have a greater understanding of this than me, so you may know the answers here. The slide show does refer to students providing "Amatuerism information," but I have no idea what that means or entails. Everything else seems to relate to academic eligibility requirements.

Obviously, I have incomplete information on my end, but my understanding from news reports when Lavar first announced LaMelo's signature shoe was that it is unclear whether it runs afoul of amateurism rules in the NCAA because BBB is his dad's company. So wouldn't it be likely that the response to a request for preliminary certification of his amateur status would be along these lines: "No, we cannot preliminarily certify LaMelo's amateur status because he has a signature shoe from his father's fashion company, and we need to fully investigate whether this disqualifies LaMelo as an amateur athlete."

Of course, you might be right that NCAA institutions may have a mechanism by which they can get an amateurism ruling from the NCAA earlier, but I have no idea if that's the case. My thoughts on the recruitment impact certainly change if programs would know early enough whether or not LaMelo will be eligible.

weezie
12-07-2017, 06:26 PM
...Those two would get absolutely chewed up by the grown men playing pro in Europe.

Now THAT would be some must see tv. Give espn a ratings boost!

CDu
12-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Sure, the European leagues are going to put up with a prima donna soccer-dad just to get the chance to sign a kid that wasn't good enough to play for an average college team and his younger brother who last played as a junior in high school.

Those two would get absolutely chewed up by the grown men playing pro in Europe.

On top of that, they'd only get the pleasure of developing the kids, with the knowledge up front that those kids are coming back as soon as it is remotely possible for them to play in the NBA.

I mean, maybe there is some crappy team in Azerbaijan that is willing to sign them. But it doesn't seem like a winning strategy. I think Ball has really screwed over his kids here.

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2017, 09:41 AM
On top of that, they'd only get the pleasure of developing the kids, with the knowledge up front that those kids are coming back as soon as it is remotely possible for them to play in the NBA.

I mean, maybe there is some crappy team in Azerbaijan that is willing to sign them. But it doesn't seem like a winning strategy. I think Ball has really screwed over his kids here.

As that article points out, the Euro leagues aren't interested in development, they are all about one thing...winning, and winning now. They don't have time to turn one of the Balls into better players.

CDu
12-08-2017, 09:53 AM
As that article points out, the Euro leagues aren't interested in development, they are all about one thing...winning, and winning now. They don't have time to turn one of the Balls into better players.

Right, that was my point. Unless the team is so awful that "developing the kids" also improves their team, they aren't going to be interested.

UrinalCake
12-08-2017, 10:35 AM

I think their only hope at this point is to find some unknown team in Siberia that would welcome the media attention as an opportunity to sell some tickets and put themselves on the map. We may complain as fans about the attention that the Balls get, but the reality is that the ESPN cameras will continue to follow this circus.

Henderson
12-08-2017, 10:35 AM
I'm sure this is not an original thought, but it occurs to me that this is where "helicopter parenting" finds its logical extreme. The kids seem like victims of the Stockholm Syndrome in the way they unblinkingly travel along with LaVar Ball's bizarre self-absorption. The victimization of LaMelo, who's just a 16 year old kid, is particularly alarming to me. But even Lonzo, whom you would think at the age of 20 would be able to think for himself, seems weirdly robotic about his father's control.

I'd be curious to know how Lonzo's finances are controlled. Where do his millions go? How are they managed?

Seems a cautionary tale about extreme and uncontrolled helicopter parenting generally.

I try to see a good outcome for these kids when they are 35, and it's hard to see.

Bluedog
12-08-2017, 10:45 AM

The thing that is interesting is that Euro leagues aren't interested in development, but the NBA certainly is...Hence why teams draft potential over ability to contribute immediately. I guess with the sheer amount of money to throw around in the NBA, teams can "invest in the future" more than teams in Europe can. (Not saying this helps the younger Balls at this stage though).

CDu
12-08-2017, 10:51 AM
The thing that is interesting is that Euro leagues aren't interested in development, but the NBA certainly is...Hence why teams draft potential over ability to contribute immediately. I guess with the sheer amount of money to throw around in the NBA, teams can "invest in the future" more than teams in Europe can. (Not saying this helps the younger Balls at this stage though).

The bigger reason for the difference is that European teams know that US players (especially young ones) want to get back to to the States. European teams are happy to develop their domestic players, and quite regularly do so. But with those guys they anticipate a return on their investment (most Euros stay in Europe). In the NBA, teams have a reason to draft the best talents because the collective bargaining agreement gives them a strong leg up in keeping their drafted players via better second/third contract options by staying put. So they are less afraid to get a guy's formative years knowing that they might get to keep him, as opposed to a European team being willing to develop a US kid knowing that kid will want to bounce back to the US as soon as he can do so.

jv001
12-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm sure this is not an original thought, but it occurs to me that this is where "helicopter parenting" finds its logical extreme. The kids seem like victims of the Stockholm Syndrome in the way they unblinkingly travel along with LaVar Ball's bizarre self-absorption. The victimization of LaMelo, who's just a 16 year old kid, is particularly alarming to me. But even Lonzo, whom you would think at the age of 20 would be able to think for himself, seems weirdly robotic about his father's control.

I'd be curious to know how Lonzo's finances are controlled. Where do his millions go? How are they managed?

Seems a cautionary tale about extreme and uncontrolled helicopter parenting generally.

I try to see a good outcome for these kids when they are 35, and it's hard to see.

I have to wonder how Mrs. Ball feels about all this but again, she's probably under LaVar's thumb and can't speak for herself. I don't know the Balls but LaVar seems to be the type of husband that rules his family with an iron fist. But, I could be wrong, I've been wrong in the past. GoDuke!

devildeac
12-08-2017, 11:14 AM
I have to wonder how Mrs. Ball feels about all this but again, she's probably under LaVar's thumb and can't speak for herself. I don't know the Balls but LaVar seems to be the type of husband that rules his family with an iron fist. But, I could be wrong, I've been wrong in the past. GoDuke!

Only the past? I've been wrong in the future. Many times. Mrs. dd has informed me.

Jeffrey
12-08-2017, 12:08 PM
Only the past? I've been wrong in the future. Many times. Mrs. dd has informed me.

That'll teach you for not ruling your family with an iron fist.

I had more to say, but my wife just called. Gotta go.....

devildeac
12-08-2017, 12:27 PM
That'll teach you for not ruling your family with an iron fist.

I had more to say, but my wife just called. Gotta go...

My name is not Tony Stark. :rolleyes:

DoubleDuke Dad
12-08-2017, 12:31 PM
I think their only hope at this point is to find some unknown team in Siberia that would welcome the media attention as an opportunity to sell some tickets and put themselves on the map. We may complain as fans about the attention that the Balls get, but the reality is that the ESPN cameras will continue to follow this circus.

I think North Korea would be the perfect team for them.

BD80
12-08-2017, 02:15 PM
I think their only hope at this point is to find some unknown team in Siberia that would welcome the media attention as an opportunity to sell some tickets and put themselves on the map. ...

Which would give us the Snow-Baller line of shoes!

They would probably keep your feet warm down to temperatures 45-50 degrees F.

moonpie23
12-08-2017, 05:30 PM
and the really sad thing? lavar will blame it on the kids.....

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2017, 05:31 PM
and the really sad thing? lavar will blame it on the kids...
Well, one of them IS to blame. Lavar didn't steal those sunglasses. (Not saying dad should have taken him out of school, but that got the Ball rolling.)

gep
12-08-2017, 05:40 PM
I think North Korea would be the perfect team for them.

And Dennis Rodman can be their coach... :cool:

jwillfan
12-08-2017, 08:35 PM

I think I speak for many of us that wish we had younger balls :D

devildeac
12-08-2017, 08:44 PM

Mine are just Schweddy (if I have to link the SNL skit I will...).

:o:rolleyes:

GeneBanksManCrush
12-09-2017, 07:43 AM
I've just got to say that I'm surprised that an aspiring retail sneaker magnate doesn't take a more stern view of shoplifting.

BandAlum83
12-09-2017, 10:32 AM
I've just got to say that I'm surprised that an aspiring retail sneaker magnate doesn't take a more stern view of shoplifting.

He's a wholesaler. He doesn't care about the retailer. In fact, he'd love to hear his shoes are being shoplifted. It adds to the prestige and means they are in demand.

He got his money, even if the retailer didn't.

Henderson
12-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Folks discuss the Ball family as a unit, because that's the way LaVar Ball portrays it.

But I think there's far too little focus placed on LaMelo (16), who is relevantly different from LiAngelo (19) and Lonzo (20) because of his age.

In my view, LaMelo is a talented young prospect who needs something other than what he has. And if he gets amalgamated with the Ball family nonsense, he'd be getting screwed over at a pretty young age.

sagegrouse
12-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Folks discuss the Ball family as a unit, because that's the way LaVar Ball portrays it.

But I think there's far too little focus placed on LaMelo (16), who is relevantly different from LiAngelo (19) and Lonzo (20) because of his age.

In my view, LaMelo is a talented young prospect who needs something other than what he has. And if he gets amalgamated with the Ball family nonsense, he'd be getting screwed over at a pretty young age.

Truthfully, it is a case for social services, but I doubt that CDSS will bother with it.

BD80
12-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Mine are just Schweddy (if I have to link the SNL skit I will...).

:o:rolleyes:

Well, you two will never be able to hold a public office ...

or corporate office ...

or have any standing in the entertainment community ...

or sign a pro sports contract ...

Of course, I found it humorous, so ... into the pit of misery for me as well. DILLY DILLY!

lotusland
12-11-2017, 06:26 PM

How about and unknown team in Prienai Lithuania?

Bleacher Report: LiAngelo, LaMelo Ball Sign 1-Year Contracts with Prienu Vytautas (https://apple.news/AX-laqGvjRoaamf84mzUpNw)

With this gig the Ball boys can make between $0 and $500 a month for this gig not to mention endorsements!

Dukehky
12-11-2017, 06:46 PM
LiAngelo isn't much better than the best player in any high schools that is a good "high school" basketball team.

I don't think Melo is much of a prospect either, but this is going to absolutely destroy his development. He's going to go over there as a 16/17 year old who is skinny as hell, has never had a coach tell him he can't shoot the ball from 40 feet against grown men. He's going to get eaten alive. I feel bad for him, to be honest. How he's the 7th ranked prospect in his class is beyond me, but he's not gonna have a chance in the league later. Add that to the fact that he's a HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT!

There was so much talk last year about LaVar being good dad, even though he was a loud mouth. I never thought that was the case and thought there was some racial stuff going on there, that just because he was a black dad who was around (that was how I interpreted a lot of the stories about him) that made him a "good by that standard" dad. I don't know what he's like at home, Lonzo seems like a great dude, and his basketball instincts, while not playing great, are pretty impressive, but everything he has demonstrated in the public is that he is an absolute fool who clearly doesn't have the best interests of his kid at heart. Whether that is actually the case, I don't know, but he is without a doubt hurting his two kids by pulling them out of the only place they've ever known and shipping them off to Lithuania to a town of about 10,000 people, where they don't know the language or the culture. This is just going to be a catastrophe for those boys.

BD80
12-11-2017, 07:24 PM
From DraftExpress:

The Ball brothers are not expected to see major playing time for Prienu Vytautas in the Lithuanian (LKL) league, but could be afforded an opportunity to develop in the Baltic (BBL) League, where the stakes are much lower.

They may not get completely chewed up in the lower league, but I doubt they thrive. VERY doubtful they show scouts anything worth drafting.

The Lakers must LOVE this move. They are now rid of Lavar.

Because, of course, being the great dad he is, he'll be there schlepping around the Baltic League watching over his sons, one who should still be in high school (and Lavar is home-schooling him).

Come to think of it, Lavar being in China didn't seem to help Lilangelo much, did it?

JetpackJesus
12-11-2017, 10:22 PM
How about and unknown team in Prienai Lithuania?

Bleacher Report: LiAngelo, LaMelo Ball Sign 1-Year Contracts with Prienu Vytautas (https://apple.news/AX-laqGvjRoaamf84mzUpNw)

With this gig the Ball boys can make between $0 and $500 a month for this gig not to mention endorsements!

From the ESPN story on this (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21741604/liangelo-lamelo-ball-serious-talks-lithuanian-basketball-club):

The team is 4-1 in the Baltic League, its lone loss coming on a forfeiture. The game was abandoned with three minutes to go tied at 65 after the coach was ejected due to some questionable calls.
So, has anyone seen Prienu Vytautas's coach and LaVar in the same room?

InSpades
12-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Over/under on how many days they last w/ this team? Somewhere around 15?

JetpackJesus
12-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Does days with the team start from the signing of the contract (today)? Or when they actually show up and join the team in Lithuania? If it's the latter, I might put it at 1 and take the under.

DangerDevil
12-11-2017, 10:42 PM

How about a poll for how it ends as well

UrinalCake
12-11-2017, 11:14 PM
So the youngest one is going to go from driving a Lamborghini around town while being worshipped by eight trillion instagram followers and selling $400 pairs of shoes to now riding the bench for 500 bucks a month in a tiny gym in an unknown city. Sounds like the opposite of movin’ on up.

uh_no
12-12-2017, 12:48 AM
So the youngest one is going to go from driving a Lamborghini around town while being worshipped by eight trillion instagram followers and selling $400 pairs of shoes to now riding the bench for 500 bucks a month in a tiny gym in an unknown city. Sounds like the opposite of movin’ on up.

wouldn't that imply someone is actually BUYING said shoes?

budwom
12-12-2017, 08:53 AM

Eventually (could be fairly quickly) they'll run out of countries to mar.

LasVegas
12-12-2017, 10:52 AM
I don’t understand. Why go play overseas for a max of $500 a month? The media coverage on this will die down quick. A few games and no one will care. Right? So why not just train in the states? Even better, why not just go to high school and college!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!???

CDu
12-12-2017, 10:57 AM
I don’t understand. Why go play overseas for a max of $500 a month? The media coverage on this will die down quick. A few games and no one will care. Right? So why not just train in the states? Even better, why not just go to high school and college!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!???

I have my doubts as to whether or not they'll actually go through with it. But if they do, I doubt they'll stick it out for very long over there.

It really is a shame for LaMelo. He's at risk of getting screwed out of two years of fun dominating the high school circuit and hanging out with his friends. My guess is that they'll bail on this idea.

cato
12-12-2017, 11:01 AM

It’s Ball in the Family. This will fill time and provide story lines for their reality show.

CameronBornAndBred
12-12-2017, 11:13 AM
Lovely weather this time of year.
Snow, snow, more snow, some ice, snow, rain wind and snow, snow again.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Prienai+Lithuania+LHXX4204:1:LH

PSurprise
12-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Lovely weather this time of year.
Snow, snow, more snow, some ice, snow, rain wind and snow, snow again.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Prienai+Lithuania+LHXX4204:1:LH

Just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit different than SoCal. I'm sure they'll get used to it.

LasVegas
12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
It’s Ball in the Family. This will fill time and provide story lines for their reality show.

Vomit

-jk
12-12-2017, 03:15 PM
These just popped up (courtesy of Bovada):

Will LiAngelo Ball or LaMelo Ball be arrested in Lithuania in 2017 or 2018?
Yes 33/1

Will LiAngelo Ball or LaMelo Ball still be on Prienu Vytautas by Jan 31st 2018?
Yes -200 (1/2)
No +150 (3/2)

(Or should this be in the degenerate thread?)

What a zoo...

-jk

swood1000
12-12-2017, 03:46 PM
Add that to the fact that he's a HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT!

LaVar's plan (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20898447/lavar-ball-homeschooling-lamelo-no-distractions) is to home-school him.

swood1000
12-12-2017, 03:49 PM
My guess is that they'll bail on this idea.

But once he's been on a professional team he won't be able to play on a college team, so what could they do then?

AtlDuke72
12-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Does days with the team start from the signing of the contract (today)? Or when they actually show up and join the team in Lithuania? If it's the latter, I might put it at 1 and take the under.

One and done is a good bet. What a train wreck!

Ichabod Drain
12-12-2017, 03:57 PM
But once he's been on a professional team he won't be able to play on a college team, so what could they do then?

He’s already probably disqualified for his role in BBB. Also they’ll be able to make a lot of money from Instagram and YouTube for a while.

subzero02
12-12-2017, 04:19 PM
He’s already probably disqualified for his role in BBB. Also they’ll be able to make a lot of money from Instagram and YouTube for a while.

They've also both already signed with an agent.

swood1000
12-12-2017, 05:03 PM
He's disqualified as soon as he signs with a professional team, unless his compensation does not exceed his actual and necessary expenses.

12.2.5 Contracts and Compensation. An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she has entered into any kind of agreement to compete in professional athletics, either orally or in writing, regardless of the legal enforceability of that agreement. (Revised: 1/10/92)

12.2.5.1 Exception—Before Initial Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment—Sports Other Than Men’s Ice Hockey and Skiing. In sports other than men’s ice hockey and skiing, before initial full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may enter into an agreement to compete on a professional team (per Bylaw 12.02.11), provided the agreement does not guarantee or promise payment (at any time) in excess of actual and necessary expenses to participate on the team.

But he may already be ineligible if his father is ruled to have acted as his agent.

12.3.1 General Rule. [A] An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she ever has agreed (orally or in writing) to be represented by an agent for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation in that sport. Further, an agency contract not specifically limited in writing to a sport or particular sports shall be deemed applicable to all sports, and the individual shall be ineligible to participate in any sport.

UrinalCake
12-12-2017, 07:36 PM
FWIW Jeff Goodman was interviewed shortly after the news of the signing broke. Said he talked to an “insider” familiar with the Lithuanian team and league as well as the Ball family, and that there is a 50% chance the two kids ever make it to Lithuania to begin with. If they do play, he estimates it will last about a month.

CameronBornAndBred
12-12-2017, 10:01 PM
FWIW Jeff Goodman was interviewed shortly after the news of the signing broke. Said he talked to an “insider” familiar with the Lithuanian team and league as well as the Ball family, and that there is a 50% chance the two kids ever make it to Lithuania to begin with. If they do play, he estimates it will last about a month.

I read that the contract includes a clause that has a termination option after one month, so that fits into that timeline.

rthomas
12-13-2017, 12:32 PM
Great tweet:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/940991740852559874

Apparently the Ball Bros' new Lithuanian coach has been "selling meat to players out of the trunk of his car." 🤔 http://ble.ac/2iXKlkD

JasonEvans
12-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Apparently the Ball Bros' new Lithuanian coach has been "selling meat to players out of the trunk of his car."

"And if you buy the filet, you get to start next game."

uh_no
12-13-2017, 01:41 PM
"And if you buy the filet, you get to start next game."

one possession per ounce!!

CameronBornAndBred
12-13-2017, 01:49 PM
Is a one month crash course in Lithuanian more educational than a whole semester of Swahili at UNC?

BD80
12-13-2017, 03:41 PM
Great tweet:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/940991740852559874

Great article from The Bleacher Report linked in the Tweet:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748999-what-are-liangelo-and-lamelo-ball-getting-themselves-into-in-lithuania?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Yes, I said great.

Primarily an interview of an American, Billy Baron, who played for the team, but adds a great deal of insight; my favorite:

"Signing them is a publicity stunt for sure, and it's working," Baron said. "The Balls are on SportsCenter, but I'm here laughing because I know exactly what's waiting for them on the other side. When LaMelo gets hit with one of those screens, he might not be able to stand up. Those guys are bangers, Lithuanians play like it's a UFC match. ... If Vegas put a line on the Balls' over-under in Lithuania, I think they'd break it off after a month. Maybe it does work, I'm not hating on the kids, but the odds are stacked against them."

Prienai, Lithuania, is a ... rural Lithuanian town ... is like living on a farm. No restaurants, no malls, ... "There is nothing to do in that place. It's the ultimate life of going to practice and back to the hotel."

Well. at least shoplifting shouldn't be an issue ...

Maybe Coach Seskus can start selling Baller brand shoes out his car along with the meat: Buy a side of mutton, get a pair of Ballers for free!

BTW the temperature in Prienai, Lithuania over the next two weeks will range from the mid-20s to the low 30s, Fahrenheit! Snow on and off.

Doubt Daddy Ball is going over to continue LaMelo's "home schooling!" But it sounds like confrontations between LaVar and Seskus would be like shouting into a mirror that shouts back in a different language ,,,

kAzE
12-15-2017, 11:58 AM

UrinalCake
12-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Primarily an interview of an American, Billy Baron, who played for the team, but adds a great deal of insight; my favorite:

Is he the guy that played for Rhode Island and went off against us in Cameron, when they nearly beat us a few years ago?

jacone21
12-15-2017, 12:28 PM
Is he the guy that played for Rhode Island and went off against us in Cameron, when they nearly beat us a few years ago?

That would be Jimmy Baron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Baron_(basketball)).

UrinalCake
12-15-2017, 01:56 PM
That would be Jimmy Baron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Baron_(basketball)).

According to that wikipedia link, Jimmy has a brother Billy who also played college ball. Maybe that's the guy.

EDIT: further link clickage reveals that Jimmy's brother Billy did in fact play in the Lithuanian league. Boom! Man, we need for some games to start back up :)

swood1000
12-15-2017, 03:10 PM
Great article from The Bleacher Report linked in the Tweet:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2748999-what-are-liangelo-and-lamelo-ball-getting-themselves-into-in-lithuania?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Yes, I said great.

"Signing them is a publicity stunt for sure, and it's working," Baron said. "The Balls are on SportsCenter, but I'm here laughing because I know exactly what's waiting for them on the other side. When LaMelo gets hit with one of those screens, he might not be able to stand up. Those guys are bangers, Lithuanians play like it's a UFC match. ... If Vegas put a line on the Balls' over-under in Lithuania, I think they'd break it off after a month. Maybe it does work, I'm not hating on the kids, but the odds are stacked against them."

Prienai, Lithuania, is a ... rural Lithuanian town ... is like living on a farm. No restaurants, no malls, ... "There is nothing to do in that place. It's the ultimate life of going to practice and back to the hotel."

Well. at least shoplifting shouldn't be an issue ...

Maybe Coach Seskus can start selling Baller brand shoes out his car along with the meat: Buy a side of mutton, get a pair of Ballers for free!

BTW the temperature in Prienai, Lithuania over the next two weeks will range from the mid-20s to the low 30s, Fahrenheit! Snow on and off.

Doubt Daddy Ball is going over to continue LaMelo's "home schooling!" But it sounds like confrontations between LaVar and Seskus would be like shouting into a mirror that shouts back in a different language ,,,

According to that story, "Money issues may not be a concern for the Balls, say sources, who believe the brothers signed for free, without earning players' salaries." If so, LaMelo may still have UCLA in his sights. I wonder what kinds of conditions there were in the offer that UCLA made him. They probably wouldn't be quick to withdraw the offer as that might make other prospects a little jittery about accepting one. That leaves LiAngelo to work himself up in Europe, which was his apparent destination anyway, but with no free college education this way. Oh well. Who am I to question LaVar's grand design?

Edit: or LiAngelo could sit out his year in Lithuania, intending to come back at a different college, maybe one that would give him some playing time (and one not so old-fashioned about trifling peccadillos).

CDu
12-16-2017, 11:33 AM
According to that story, "Money issues may not be a concern for the Balls, say sources, who believe the brothers signed for free, without earning players' salaries." If so, LaMelo may still have UCLA in his sights. I wonder what kinds of conditions there were in the offer that UCLA made him. They probably wouldn't be quick to withdraw the offer as that might make other prospects a little jittery about accepting one. That leaves LiAngelo to work himself up in Europe, which was his apparent destination anyway, but with no free college education this way. Oh well. Who am I to question LaVar's grand design?

Edit: or LiAngelo could sit out his year in Lithuania, intending to come back at a different college, maybe one that would give him some playing time (and one not so old-fashioned about trifling peccadillos).

Both boys signed with agent Harrison Gaines. That would seem to eliminate the possibility of a return to college.

swood1000
12-20-2017, 12:42 PM
LiAngelo says that he wouldn't have thanked Trump unless UCLA had insisted on it.

"My school wanted to hear it," he recalled. "Before I went up there, it was like, 'You’ve got to thank him.' I just threw him in there real quick right before I gave my speech. ... If they didn’t tell me to do it, it wouldn’t have been in there, to be honest." http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/12/liangelo-lavar-ball-ucla-thank-trump-told-him-china-arrest-press-conference-interview-lithuania

CrazyNotCrazie
12-20-2017, 01:06 PM
Interesting article about the Ball's and the town they will be playing in. I despise the father and hate all of the attention he is getting (which is why I debated even posting this) and feel bad for the kids - I'm sure this was not their idea. The article mentions a "luxury spa" nearby where they will be living. I wonder if their teammates have similar housing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/20/sports/liangelo-lamelo-ball-lithuania.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection %2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

kostar
12-20-2017, 03:02 PM
here comes the Big Baller League?!

Salary $3,000 - $10,000 a month
10 teams
80 Players
Play in NBA Arenas
wear BBB shoes and jerseys

Logo of Lonzo going for a dunk because --- "We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

CameronBornAndBred
12-20-2017, 03:20 PM
I don't like following OADs in college, why would I want to follow a whole league of them? I enjoy college games because I love the school that I root for, despite the fact that I am forced to cheer for a bunch of guys I will forget about in a few seasons.
I sure as hell ain't gonna follow some league full of those dudes. (I love that fact that one of his kids wouldn't even qualify for his own league. "Sorry, lil' guy, no diploma, no play.")

lotusland
12-20-2017, 04:48 PM
Sounds like the whole OAD issue is resolved now. Thanks LaVar!

DangerDevil
12-20-2017, 06:01 PM
I don't like following OADs in college, why would I want to follow a whole league of them? I enjoy college games because I love the school that I root for, despite the fact that I am forced to cheer for a bunch of guys I will forget about in a few seasons.
I sure as hell ain't gonna follow some league full of those dudes. (I love that fact that one of his kids wouldn't even qualify for his own league. "Sorry, lil' guy, no diploma, no play.")

I agree that I enjoy college sports for the name on the front of the jersey not the back of the jersey. I think there are numerous reasons this endeavor won't be successful, I won't rehash the reasons that have been debated in numerous previous threads.

Even if I am in the minority and there is a market for LaVar's league and he can successfully set everything up to make the league work, isn't he destined to fail?

If LaVar's league proves viable why wouldn't the NBA make their own league or incorporate the player pool into the G League?

DangerDevil
12-20-2017, 06:18 PM
Sounds like the whole OAD issue is resolved now. Thanks LaVar!

I don't know if you are being serious or not, but I don't think this solves the OAD situation. If anything I think it makes it worse and gives the NCAA more power.

How long will the season last 6 months? Even if the season is year round the minimum player will make $36,000 a year. I would think that at least half the league and probably the majority would be minimum salary players. Not chump change but I would argue that a year of a college scholarship is more valuable in and of itself and that isn't even factoring in the "benefits" that come from being a big time Division 1 college basketball player (room and board, stipend - estimated to be $2,000 to $5,000 annually, exposure, part of a network, world class facilities, world class coaching and instruction).

What do the guys that spend a year in the league and don't get drafted do? LaVar proposes an 80 player league, there are currently only 60 NBA draft picks per year.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/04/news/companies/extra-cash-college-athletes/index.html

CDu
12-20-2017, 06:30 PM

10 teams
80 Players
Play in NBA Arenas

Logo of Lonzo going for a dunk because --- "We don't need a logo of a guy dribbling," Ball said, an obvious reference to the NBA's famous Jerry West silhouette. "Nobody does that anymore."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21827823/lavar-ball-wants-start-league-high-school-graduates

Isn’t that what the G-League is for? That league pays double. And there are, what, 20-25 players a year who realistically think one-and-done. Can’t imagine this working.

BD80
12-20-2017, 06:38 PM
He can call his team the LaVar Lakers, thus making true his claim that all three of his sons will play for the Lakers.

It could be a traveling league, kinda like the Globetrotters. Any legitimate prospects will play with LaVar's sons on the good team, while those not drafted could stick around and play on a team LaVar could call Trump's Generals.

MartyClark
12-20-2017, 06:42 PM

10 teams
80 Players
Play in NBA Arenas

Sounds like a difficult project. NBA arenas are busy with NBA, NHL and other events. The rent for an NBA arena must be huge. Who will attend these games in an NBA city? Can they get a television contract? I don't think I'd watch these games but there may be a market for it.

Even if it is a decent idea, I can't imagine the senior Ball executing it well.

I think the chance of this happening for one season is less than 10%.

80 kids in the league. At best, 20 or so have a chance of making the NBA after a year.

Finally, I vote for Jerry West over Lonzo Ball for the logo. LaVar is unnecessarily disrespectful to great players of the past.

lotusland
12-20-2017, 06:53 PM
I don't know if you are being serious or not, but I don't think this solves the OAD situation. If anything I think it makes it worse and gives the NCAA more power.

How long will the season last 6 months? Even if the season is year round the minimum player will make $36,000 a year. I would think that at least half the league and probably the majority would be minimum salary players. Not chump change but I would argue that a year of a college scholarship is more valuable in and of itself and that isn't even factoring in the "benefits" that come from being a big time Division 1 college basketball player (room and board, stipend - estimated to be $2,000 to $5,000 annually, exposure, part of a network, world class facilities, world class coaching and instruction).

What do the guys that spend a year in the league and don't get drafted do? LaVar proposes an 80 player league, there are currently only 60 NBA draft picks per year.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/04/news/companies/extra-cash-college-athletes/index.html

Sorry forgot to use the sarcasm emoji.

lotusland
12-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a difficult project. NBA arenas are busy with NBA, NHL and other events. The rent for an NBA arena must be huge. Who will attend these games in an NBA city? Can they get a television contract? I don't think I'd watch these games but there may be a market for it.

80 kids in the league. At best, 20 or so have a chance of making the NBA after a year.

Finally, I vote for Jerry West over Lonzo Ball for the logo. LaVar is unnecessarily disrespectful to great players of the past.

This is a can’t lose proposition. What could go wrong? I’m sure Duke95 is cashing in his retirement to invest in LaVar’s league so he/she can capitalize on the yuuuge market value these players offer outside any college affiliation.

DangerDevil
12-20-2017, 07:06 PM

Agree with all of the above with the exception of there might be a tv market for the league.

DangerDevil
12-20-2017, 07:09 PM
This is a can’t lose proposition. What could go wrong? I’m sure Duke95 is cashing in his retirement to invest in LaVar’s league so he/she can capitalize on the yuuuge market value these players offer outside any college affiliation.

After the launch of the Big Baller Brand I don't think LaVar needs any backers. (I can't find the sarcasm emoji but meant to insert it!)

kAzE
12-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Cody Riley & Jalen Hill have been suspended for the entire rest of the season:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21850153/ucla-suspends-cody-riley-jalen-hill-rest-season-shoplifting-arrest-china

That's tough, but breaking law has consequences . . . . I guess, unless your dad is LaVar Ball.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 07:44 PM
After the launch of the Big Baller Brand I don't think LaVar needs any backers. (I can't find the sarcasm emoji but meant to insert it!)

I believe this one works: :rolleyes:. Sort of. At least that's what it says when you hover over the emoji :o.

CameronBornAndBred
12-22-2017, 09:21 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21850153/ucla-suspends-cody-riley-jalen-hill-rest-season-shoplifting-arrest-china

That's tough, but breaking law has consequences . . . . I guess, unless your dad is LaVar Ball.

I'd rather get suspended than shipped off to a basketball gulag in Siberia.

kAzE
12-22-2017, 11:09 PM
I'd rather get suspended than shipped off to a basketball gulag in Lithuania.

FIFY, but yeah, that does sound a lot worse. Poor LaMelo, his worst crime was merely not ever crossing the halfcourt line on defense.

dudog84
12-23-2017, 09:16 AM

Suspicious to me that UCLA didn't do this until after the Balls were gone. Spineless. Does no one (in a position of authority) in this country have integrity any more?

devildeac
12-23-2017, 10:05 AM
Suspicious to me that UCLA didn't do this until after the Balls were gone. Spineless. Does no one (in a position of authority) in this country have integrity any more?

Nope:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/join-our-team

And nope, again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Smith_Center

BD80
12-23-2017, 10:10 AM

I completely disagree.

The punishment is concurrent with the University review under its student code of conduct - which remains confidential

The punishment is also meted out at the end of the semester, a reasonable point to determine if they have handled the initial punishment (total suspension from team activities), as required.

This is actual a step back to the team, they are now allowed to practice and workout with the team.

I frankly find this to be a fine example of leadership

jv001
12-23-2017, 04:02 PM

Most haven't for a long time now. GoDuke!

BD80
12-23-2017, 04:08 PM
With the Balls gone, it is easy to root for UCLA v Ky.

UrinalCake
12-23-2017, 08:38 PM
As a fan of college basketball, I actually would love for this league (or something like it) to succeed. If there was an alternative for talented high schoolers who have no interest in college, I would rather they go there than be forced into going to college. And yes, I realize this sounds incredibly hypocritical coming from a die hard Duke fan whose program has benefited greatly from OAD's, but I think Duke will be fine no matter what. If the top 5 of every high school class goes another route, then Duke will still recruit from among whoever's left. And if we stop getting one year players and go back to developing 3- and 4-year players, K has proven he can win that way too.

I don't think the kids who choose a different route than college are dumb or too stupid to pass their classes. Maybe some of them are, but it's also reasonable to think that college just isn't for everybody and some players would rather work on their games and make a small amount of money rather than going through the charade of attending classes and making millions of dollars for their schools while not receiving any of it. And to be clear, I do think that for the most part the guys Duke brings in do go to classes and learn something even if it's just for a year. I think they gain a ton off the court by being on a college campus, attending classes with "regular" students, and absorbing all that Duke offers.

I've thought for a while that improving the D-league to the point that it's a viable option would be the best solution. Right now it's not worth it from a player's standpoint to make $30k a year and play in empty arenas when you could go to college, receiving tuition plus cost of living including meals and stipend, and play in front of packed arenas and millions of viewers in March.

As for the Balls, I really don't see the league working from a financial standpoint, but I'm not an expert.

75Crazie
12-23-2017, 11:08 PM
As a fan of college basketball, I actually would love for this league (or something like it) to succeed. If there was an alternative for talented high schoolers who have no interest in college, I would rather they go there than be forced into going to college.
I've thought for a while that improving the D-league to the point that it's a viable option would be the best solution. Right now it's not worth it from a player's standpoint to make $30k a year and play in empty arenas when you could go to college, receiving tuition plus cost of living including meals and stipend, and play in front of packed arenas and millions of viewers in March.
Square hit, hammer on nail. But it shouldn't have to be left to a nut case like Ball to develop such an alternative path to the NBA. I see no good reason why the NBA couldn't be convinced that it would be to their benefit to beef up the D-league to the point where it does become a suitable alternative to college.

BD80
12-24-2017, 08:40 AM
As a fan of college basketball, I actually would love for this league (or something like it) to succeed. ... If the top 5 of every high school class goes another route, ...

As for the Balls, I really don't see the league working from a financial standpoint, but I'm not an expert.

I would suggest that the MILLIONS of dollars that college programs invest in their basketball training facilities is the difference. Duke, Ky, MSU, Louisville and others have EACH invested tens of millions of dollars in training facilities that rival some NBA facilities. Duke has been WAY ahead of the curve with respect to training/recovery metrics and video/computer capture analysis of games and practice. Few NBA teams have even started such analysis. Add to that coaching at the highest levels - a very costly proposition. Not all schools can offer such facilities and coaching, but a few can, enough that the top 20 players or more each year have absolute first rate options available to them. That is deeper than the number of rookies that make NBA clubs each year.

What "developmental" league will invest such capital? As long as the NBA has college, why would they? The Balls certainly won't.

Square hit, hammer on nail. But it shouldn't have to be left to a nut case like Ball to develop such an alternative path to the NBA. I see no good reason why the NBA couldn't be convinced that it would be to their benefit to beef up the D-league to the point where it does become a suitable alternative to college.

A "D" league will never generate the attention and revenue that the college game does. If the "top 5" are "NBA ready" coming out of high school, that means that there will be a vast majority of players who are NOT "NBA ready." That level of competition will never generate the revenue to justify the training facilities and coaching available in top college programs. Colleges generate that level of revenue from basketball due to many factors, history, rivalries, competition, ...

This is an entirely different decision on whether a kid who would be a low first round pick should go pro or stay in college. A first round pick trains and practices with NBA players under NBA coaches in NBA facilities while making millions of dollars and ticking time off his rookie contract.

Wander
12-24-2017, 09:12 AM
With the Balls gone, it is easy to root for UCLA v Ky.

UCLA wins. I'm totally shocked that UCLA looks better with the Ball clown show around.

75Crazie
12-24-2017, 10:01 AM
A "D" league will never generate the attention and revenue that the college game does.
And, of course, that is the justification for keeping the current "college" basketball (and football, for that matter) system going. It just doesn't matter how much colleges have to prostitute themselves to stay in the game; the number of eyes and the amount of green is all that matters here.

mgtr
12-24-2017, 10:30 AM
UCLA wins. I'm totally shocked that UCLA looks better with the Ball clown show around.

I am making a WAG that you meant to say "not around" instead of "around."

UrinalCake
12-24-2017, 02:07 PM
A "D" league will never generate the attention and revenue that the college game does.

Someone made a really great point on a podcast I listened to recently - if you look at the rosters of most D-league teams, it's filled with guys who played in college, and many of them were recognizable stars who we all watched during the season and especially during March Madness. Yet when you take those exact same players and put them in the context of the D-league, very few people care to watch them. So what's the difference? It's not the quality of play that people care about, because the D-league players are better than college players (since they're mostly the same players, only older). The difference is that fans have team affiliation, and the structure of March Madness is inherently compelling.

sagegrouse
12-24-2017, 05:23 PM
And, of course, that is the justification for keeping the current "college" basketball (and football, for that matter) system going. It just doesn't matter how much colleges have to prostitute themselves to stay in the game; the number of eyes and the amount of green is all that matters here.

YOu forget your "roll-eyes" and "sarcasm" emojis.

We had this discussion a while ago.

awhom111
01-02-2018, 01:12 AM
Well, it looks like this saga will actually involve a basketball court soon. With all due apologies to Taylor King, I guess this will be my most-anticipated Baltic League game since a number of seasons ago when David McClure was in the Finals with Siauliai. It seems like the Balls have found a team that would like to beat them to the punch when it comes to profiting off the publicity, so it seems like a good match. Up to this point, it has been an interesting look at media coverage. The peak was probably when the Lithuanian league's official Twitter account had to work to dispel ESPN rumors that the team cannot afford to practice. There were also a good number of articles trying to get the opinions of the fairly large number of American players who have played in Lithuania over the years, which led to some interesting arguments between players who loved Lithuania and players with worse experiences.

Honestly, their destination is about as good as it gets for them if they last past the first month. The Balls have chosen a fairly inexperienced agent who only represents one player playing abroad who had already established himself with a team. While Lonzo does not suffer from having an agent with no other NBA clients, having a good overseas agent can be critical. Signing with an agency that has a wide variety of clients gives the agents themselves plenty of connections and given that salary appears not to be a factor, an influential agent probably would have been able to call in a favor and get both brothers placed in a solid situation. What resulted did not really make waves in the American media, which obviously does not deal with this very much, but his agent's mass e-mail to every club everywhere did raise some eyebrows in the overseas media. There were reports that teams in Iran (which would have been way above their level) were contacted, although I think everyone can agree that there have been enough international incidents for a while as the other American players that have been there have not had any problems over the years.

Once they actually hit the court, this will get interesting because nobody really knows what to expect. LaMelo will be younger than any other Americans who have tried to make the jump overseas and he is probably ranked slightly below those others as prospects. Players at LiAngelo's presumed level enjoy solid overseas careers over time, but again age is a factor as the mental side of the game is probably more important than physical or skill development when it comes to adapting to playing in Europe. It does sound like they will get a chance before either side has to make a decision on extending the contract and there will be some low-stakes games. One of the reasons why overseas players cannot just take risks on any old player even one willing to play for no salary is that not losing is important for nearly every team and not just due to the usual coaches getting fired or players not being able to find new contracts that can be seen in most American sports. Winning games is important for qualifying for European competitions, which are a big money booster for clubs when it comes to sponsorship. Most leagues (although not Lithuania) also relegate teams at the bottom of the standings, which is a little more high stakes than AAU or even college play. Several Duke players right now are on teams that will be fighting relegation all season long.

In between when this was first announced and their final destination was decided was quite an interesting period since nobody really knew what level of team would be willing to take a chance, especially since LaVar was pretty public about expectations for playing time. I thought that they might end up somewhere like the Japanese third division, which has promotion, but no relegation or perhaps on a struggling ASEAN League team that wanted some publicity. It would have also made sense to sign with a Spanish team that fields a junior team in the second or third division so that they could play with other younger players. There are plenty of other leagues out there that might have been amenable to publicity stunts like Macedonia. Since there was a story of contacting Iranian clubs, I wonder if other Gulf state leagues (once home to Chris Burgess) also had targeted teams since business opportunities might have made sense there. Even these days, Americans play in places like Iraq and Libya, so LaVar could have kept going further down the ladder until he found a place, although it ended up working out well for now. While the whole NCAA thing is off limits now, I do believe that both brothers would still be allowed to play in the Canadian college system if they ever really wanted to mix school and basketball. An interesting option would have actually been playing in the Filipino college system, which is more transparent shamateurism than here (legal benefits are pretty solid and illegal benefits are so great that players would rather stay in school as long as possible than take a paycut to play professionally).

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Well, it looks like this saga will actually involve a basketball court soon. With all due apologies to Taylor King, I guess this will be my most-anticipated Baltic League game since a number of seasons ago when David McClure was in the Finals with Siauliai.

When do they play their first?

CameronBornAndBred
01-02-2018, 12:34 PM
I might be jealous. It will be warmer in Prienai, Lithuania than it will be in New Bern this week.

JasonEvans
01-02-2018, 12:40 PM
When do they play their first?

According to ESPN (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21932895/prienu-vytautas-coach-says-liangelo-lamelo-ball-play-lot):

LiAngelo, 19, and LaMelo, 16, are expected to arrive in Vilnius, Lithuania, on Wednesday and make their debuts on Jan. 9. Seskus said that with a thin roster because of injuries, the plan is to play the brothers in both Baltic and Lithuanian league games.

Vytautas will host Tsmoki-Minsk on Jan. 9 in a Baltic league game -- which is considered lower-level than the Lithuanian league contests. The first Lithuanian league game in which LiAngelo and LaMelo are expected to appear in will be on Jan. 13 at Lietkabelis.

Playing in a Baltic League game first is perfect for them. It will be lesser competition and that will be the game the media pays attention to the most.

awhom111
01-03-2018, 12:35 AM
According to ESPN (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21932895/prienu-vytautas-coach-says-liangelo-lamelo-ball-play-lot):

Playing in a Baltic League game first is perfect for them. It will be lesser competition and that will be the game the media pays attention to the most.

Now that the team has an injury crisis (only dressing 8 for a domestic league game today), I wonder if they might dress for Saturday's domestic league game even if they do not get in unless it's garbage time since it's against one of the best teams in the league. I have no idea how much paperwork and other administrative stuff needs to be done before they can play after they arrive.

OldPhiKap
01-03-2018, 07:10 AM
Now that the team has an injury crisis (only dressing 8 for a domestic league game today), I wonder if they might dress for Saturday's domestic league game even if they do not get in unless it's garbage time since it's against one of the best teams in the league. I have no idea how much paperwork and other administrative stuff needs to be done before they can play after they arrive.

My guess is, most red tape can be cleared through judicious application of greenback dollars.

Henderson
01-03-2018, 07:50 AM
My guess is, most red tape can be cleared through judicious application of greenback dollars.

We'll know everything is set when a bunch of middle-age Lithuanian officials are all suddenly sporting BBB sneaks. I'm guessing LaVar has a sufficient supply of unsold gear to cover this.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-03-2018, 08:10 AM
We'll know everything is set when a bunch of middle-age Lithuanian officials are all suddenly sporting BBB sneaks. I'm guessing LaVar has a sufficient supply of unsold gear to cover this.

Hopefully the shoes will match their "Atlanta Falcons Super Bowl LI Champions" and "LA Dodgers 2017 World Series Champions" gear as I assume that is where such items are sent.

awhom111
01-03-2018, 09:45 PM
They have arrived in Lithuania, so the circus has started. Jeff Goodman was on hand, which seems like overkill even by ESPN standards.

It doesn't seem like picking Lithuania was intentional, so I'm not sure they deserve any credit, but on publicity, it seems like a good choice. I'm not sure any team that they realistically could have signed for would have been able to generate that level of physical media attention locally. LaVar is pretty elite when it comes to making everything about him. He ended up being the first one through the airport doors to greet the media. One shot I saw showed a couple old ladies in wheelchairs patiently waiting to be escorted through while he was making his grand entrance. Since he loves to argue with coaches, he definitely chose the right place as one of my favorite descriptions of the hoops-crazy country is that it is "a nation of 3 million basketball coaches".

CameronBornAndBred
01-03-2018, 10:33 PM
They have arrived in Lithuania, so the circus has started. Jeff Goodman was on hand, which seems like overkill even by ESPN standards.

Is he allowed to bring trunk meat back home through customs?

awhom111
01-06-2018, 12:28 AM
The circus continues. Multiple Lithuanian media outlets are reporting that at least one brother will dress for Saturday's domestic league game at 10am ET. I will be happily sleeping, but if Twitter blows up around that time, this will probably be why.

I am a little out of practice now that Daniel Ewing and Marty Pocius are not playing in the league, but I think that this link will have an embedded video during the game:
http://www.lkl.lt/undefined/widgetGame/3179661

I think this direct link should be available both as a live event and as a replay.
https://www.delfi.lt/video/transliacijos/anonsai/betsafe-lkl-cempionato-rungtynes-lietuvos-rytas-vytautas.d?id=76759503

The opponent in the game is one of the stronger teams in the league. They have three Americans, Chris Kramer, a solid European player who played at Purdue, Jimmy Baron, who had once had a great game at Cameron with Rhode Island, and Travis Peterson, who has built his European career over the long haul after playing at Samford. Egidijus Mockevicius is a Lithuanian on the team who had a nice career at Evansville. You have to figures that the coach will be targeting Baron since his brother started the whole meat-selling storyline.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2018, 11:48 AM
The circus continues. Multiple Lithuanian media outlets are reporting that at least one brother will dress for Saturday's domestic league game at 10am ET.

Nope.

LaVar told ESPN that they did not make the trip after the opposing team did not initially allow the cameras from their reality show in the gym. That's funny in of itself, but it gets better.

Prienu Vytautas, the Lithuanian team that signed LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball, has withdrawn from the Baltic Basketball League this season and will instead play in the Big Baller Brand Challenge, a series of five "friendly" games intended to get the brothers extensive playing time.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21978438/lithuanian-team-prienu-vytautas-schedule-big-baller-brand-challenge-games

When I think of "friendly" games, I think of the Globetrotters playing the Generals. What a mockery of basketball this has become.

Henderson
01-06-2018, 02:03 PM
So let's recap the downward spiral:

1. LiAngelo has a scholarship at UCLA and a place on the UCLA basketball team. LaMelo is a rising high school star getting a lot of buzz at the age of 16.

2. LiAngelo gets himself suspended from UCLA but is not kicked off the team. LaMelo quits high school so he can get his education at his kitchen table and practice basketball in his driveway.

3. LiAngelo drops out of UCLA. LaMelo abandons his education entirely and puts all his chips down on Europe.

4. LiAngelo and LaMelo are both rejected by every decent team in Europe.

5. LiAngelo and LaMelo are going to a small town in Lithuania, in the winter, where they've never visited, where they will play before crowds smaller than those at Chino Hills H.S., for a team with no money, and where no one in the States will see them, playing in an obscure "C" league half the time and an obscure "D" league the other half.

6. LiAngelo and LaMelo are inviting people to come play basketball with them, for five games. In Lithuania, in the winter, on a team that no longer plays in that "C" league anymore.

LaVar.... Father of the Year

TampaDuke
01-07-2018, 08:45 AM
For those on draft night wondering how long before Lavar would start openly undermining the coach and GM, if you went with the popular opinion and bet one season or less, you're a winnner (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team).

arnie
01-07-2018, 09:16 AM
For those on draft night wondering how long before Lavar would start openly undermining the coach and GM, if you went with the popular opinion and bet one season or less, you're a winnner (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21991857/lavar-ball-says-los-angeles-lakers-coach-luke-walton-lost-team).

The Lavar quotes are hysterical. Just bring in Lebron, get rid of most everyone else (except No 1 son) and add LiAngelo + couple of rebounders=championship.

dudog84
01-07-2018, 12:44 PM
If there is one thing that can keep LeBron from the Lakers, you're looking at it.

I hate myself a bit for even reading this thread. But it's like looking at "The Kramer"...he is a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAPbZDit5_w

Unfortunately, that describes more than one public figure these days.

dukelifer
01-07-2018, 02:09 PM
The Lavar quotes are hysterical. Just bring in Lebron, get rid of most everyone else (except No 1 son) and add LiAngelo + couple of rebounders=championship.

And if they don’t win it is because Lebron is too old.

DangerDevil
01-07-2018, 03:49 PM

And don't forget a new coach that hasn't lost the team.

If only LaVar could think of someone that he has a high opinion of that has previous experience coaching his sons to recommend for the job.

What a clown!

sagegrouse
01-07-2018, 07:17 PM
And don't forget a new coach that hasn't lost the team.

If only LaVar could think of someone that he has a high opinion of that has previous experience coaching his sons to recommend for the job.

What a clown!

And Mavs' coach Rick Carlisle unloads on ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21996383/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-rips-espn-giving-lavar-ball-platform) for giving Lavar Ball a platform as a, well, "blowhard loudmouth."

DukieInBrasil
01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
And Mavs' coach Rick Carlisle unloads on ESPN (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21996383/dallas-mavericks-coach-rick-carlisle-rips-espn-giving-lavar-ball-platform) for giving Lavar Ball a platform as a, well, "blowhard loudmouth."

it was so nice when Lonzo was injured, not that i wish the kid ill, but b/c Lavar wasn't running off at the mouth so much.

CDu
01-07-2018, 07:37 PM

Yep. ESPN is whoring itself to LaVarr. Seriously, sending Jeff Goodman to go hang out in Lithuania to keep a mic in Ball’s face?

lotusland
01-07-2018, 08:07 PM
Yep. ESPN is whoring itself to LaVarr. Seriously, sending Jeff Goodman to go hang out in Lithuania to keep a mic in Ball’s face?

We all love a train wreck don’t we?

dukelion
01-07-2018, 08:18 PM

Props to Carlisle......especially his last quote to Goodman....you could tell he was breathing fire.

The Ball crap simply has to stop......it's beyond embarrassing for all involved. Lonzo will end up ostracized sooner rather than later and eventually out of the league.

lotusland
01-07-2018, 08:30 PM
Props to Carlisle...especially his last quote to Goodman...you could tell he was breathing fire.

The Ball crap simply has to stop...it's beyond embarrassing for all involved. Lonzo will end up ostracized sooner rather than later and eventually out of the league.

Do you think more or less people will watch the Lakers because of Levar’s antics? Do people watch and read ESPN stories about the Balls? Now Goodman or another reporter can ask Levar to respond to Carlisle’s comments. And on and on...

uh_no
01-07-2018, 09:10 PM
Do you think more or less people will watch the Lakers because of Levar’s antics? Do people watch and read ESPN stories about the Balls? Now Goodman or another reporter can ask Levar to respond to Carlisle’s comments. And on and on...

as the NFL seems to be proving lately, side-stories may help short term, but as time goes on, people grow weary and tune out.

If we keep on this path, at some point, some sports network is going to usurp ESPN by going back to the roots of just having good focused sports coverage...same kind way ESPN changed the industry in the first place.

UrinalCake
01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
If you're Jeff Goodman, look on the bright side... you've wracked up some big time frequent flyer miles.

He actually tweeted out some "practice video" a couple days ago that looked like somebody installed a webcam at the local Y.

weezie
01-07-2018, 09:43 PM
as the NFL seems to be proving lately, side-stories may help short term, but as time goes on, people grow weary and tune out.

If we keep on this path, at some point, some sports network is going to usurp ESPN by going back to the roots of just having good focused sports coverage...same kind way ESPN changed the industry in the first place.

Oh no, does that possibly mean no more riveting "30 for 30: The Genesis of Mad Dog and Mike Including 80s Hairstyles and Before Capped Teeth" type shows?!

uh_no
01-07-2018, 10:14 PM
Oh no, does that possibly mean no more riveting "30 for 30: The Genesis of Mad Dog and Mike Including 80s Hairstyles and Before Capped Teeth" type shows?!

well, to be fair, 30 for 30's are generally extremely well written, and some of the best material ESPN puts out.

Also, as someone who grew up on mike and the angry puppy on the FAN in the afternoon, they'll always have a warm place in my heart....and I was sad when they split up.

Henderson
01-07-2018, 10:31 PM

Carlisle just screwed the Mavs. No way LiAngelo is going to play for them now.

sagegrouse
01-07-2018, 11:05 PM
If you're Jeff Goodman, look on the bright side... you've wracked up some big time frequent flyer miles.

He actually tweeted out some "practice video" a couple days ago that looked like somebody installed a webcam at the local Y.

Uh...., Lithuania is not known as a winter vacation resort.

thedukelamere
01-08-2018, 09:19 AM
Uh..., Lithuania is not known as a winter vacation resort.

With apologies to one of my favorite Devils, Marty Pocius, here's what went through my head when I read this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ExaltedWatchfulBeauceron-small.gif

CrazyNotCrazie
01-08-2018, 10:03 AM

I hope that NBA teams decide they don't need the headaches of dealing with the Ball family like how the NFL has felt about Kaepernick and all three of them (or at least the younger two, who seem like more marginal prospects than the oldest) spend the rest of their careers somewhere far, far away. Please take away this moron's microphone asap.

dudog84
01-08-2018, 11:07 AM
I hope that NBA teams decide they don't need the headaches of dealing with the Ball family like how the NFL has felt about Kaepernick and all three of them (or at least the younger two, who seem like more marginal prospects than the oldest) spend the rest of their careers somewhere far, far away. Please take away this moron's microphone asap.

While I understand your sentiment, I don't think the situation in any way should be compared with the NFL's treatment of Kaepernick, which is really quite shameful. Especially considering some of the miscreants the NFL has no qualms about employing.

I'm actually starting to feel quite sorry for the Ball kids now. We don't get to pick our parents. Although now Lonzo is far enough into adulthood that he should tell his father to STFU. I know we're all taught to respect our parents, but enough is enough. It is quite clear that the father has no consideration for his children, and is needlessly making his sons' lives more difficult. That is not what any decent parent does. Even if everything he said about Luke Walton is true (which I strongly doubt), Lonzo's teammates have to be displeased. Lonzo is no LeBron, not even close. At best he is a borderline top-10 point guard. I do expect there will come a time when NBA teams decide the pluses do not outweigh the negatives.

I would also say shame on ESPN for giving him such a platform, but unfortunately this is what sells today.

swood1000
01-08-2018, 11:09 AM
The Big Baller Brand has apparently (http://amp.tmz.com/2018/01/08/big-baller-brand-lavar-ball-investigated-better-business-bureau?__twitter_impression=true) earned an 'F' rating from the Better Business Bureau.

"As a result of the repeat pattern of complaints, the volume of complaints, Big Baller now has an F rating with the BBB, which is the lowest rating possible in the BBB system."

BD80
01-08-2018, 01:16 PM
The Big Baller Brand has apparently (http://amp.tmz.com/2018/01/08/big-baller-brand-lavar-ball-investigated-better-business-bureau?__twitter_impression=true) earned an 'F' rating from the Better Business Bureau.

"As a result of the repeat pattern of complaints, the volume of complaints, Big Baller now has an F rating with the BBB, which is the lowest rating possible in the BBB system."

And LaVar says: "hold my beer"

Henderson
01-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I would also say shame on ESPN for giving him such a platform, but unfortunately this is what sells today.

Well, I can tell you what doesn't sell...

weezie
01-08-2018, 06:15 PM
...I would also say shame on ESPN for giving him such a platform...

You aren't the only one saying that. Stan Van Gundy slammed espn and contacted Carlisle after which both of them apparently called Adam Silver to demand some kind of restraint on the part of the network. Haha, that's funny isn't it? SVG went on to say, no more pregame interviews with announcing crews, only press conferences and locker rooms afterwards.

Yes, I know he's not wielding much of a stick being the Pistons coach but he's been around a long time and has a strong voice in the NBA. Story was in Detroit Free Press today.

BD80
01-08-2018, 06:57 PM
You aren't the only one saying that. Stan Van Gundy slammed espn and contacted Carlisle after which both of them apparently called Adam Silver to demand some kind of restraint on the part of the network. Haha, that's funny isn't it? SVG went on to say, no more pregame interviews with announcing crews, only press conferences and locker rooms afterwards.

Yes, I know he's not wielding much of a stick being the Pistons coach but he's been around a long time and has a strong voice in the NBA. Story was in Detroit Free Press today.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/01/08/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy-lavar-ball-los-angeles-lakers/1013739001/

Makes sense to me: a player's parent trashing a coach isn't "news." If the networks show such disrespect to coaches, why should the coaches go out of their way to help the networks.

SVG is a well-respected voice in the league.

Wander
01-08-2018, 07:15 PM

Lavar is a fool and ESPN is terrible for covering him the way they do. But Van Gundy and Carlisle's comments are just as bad or worse - journalists don't exist to "back up the coaches."

dudog84
01-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Lavar is a fool and ESPN is terrible for covering him the way they do. But Van Gundy and Carlisle's comments are just as bad or worse - journalists don't exist to "back up the coaches."

Did you read the article? He was very clear about that.

BD80
01-08-2018, 07:41 PM

This isn't an issue between coach and player, it is a bloviating buffoon who has no real connection to the team. That's "journalism?" Hardly.

It speaks volumes that you would refer to a transcription LaVar Ball's ramblings as "journalism."

CDu
01-08-2018, 07:43 PM
Did you read the article? He was very clear about that.

Right. A reporter essentially asked if Carlisle was suggesting ESPN censor the news. He responded very clearly that they should be good journalists and report actual news. Following LaVarr Ball around with a mic and printing everything he says is essentially TMZ or National Enquirer stuff. ESPN should treat their partners better than that. Now, if someone like Phil Jackson or Kurt Rambis - guys with actual coaching resumes and familiarity with the Lakers - said it, then it could be reported. But sticking a mic in front of a buffoon and printing every soundbite is not good journalism.

Wander
01-08-2018, 08:06 PM
It speaks volumes that you would refer to a transcription LaVar Ball's ramblings as "journalism."

I was intentionally careful in my wording, and did no such thing. Here's the part of the linked article I have a big problem with:

Carlisle, who worked as an ESPN analyst while between coaching jobs during the 2007-08 season, referred to ESPN as a partner of the league and mentioned that coaches grant the network access and interviews because of that partnership.

"In exchange for that, they should back up the coaches," Carlisle said.

The idea that journalists should "back up the coaches" is a really bad attitude to have, and it's sadly common among coaches at all levels of sports. The Lavar stories by ESPN are pathetic, but the argument against them shouldn't be the idea that journalists owe coaches positive stories or "back up" in exchange for access, which IMO is the idea that Carlisle is pitching in the above quote.

dukelion
01-08-2018, 08:20 PM
And at this point Lonzo is essentially Ricky Rubio.

What franchise would put up with Lavar when the talent level return is Ricky Rubioesque?

Poor kid will be be playing Europe in a couple of years.....good thing Lavar is making some contacts there.

CDu
01-08-2018, 08:46 PM
I was intentionally careful in my wording, and did no such thing. Here's the part of the linked article I have a big problem with:

Carlisle, who worked as an ESPN analyst while between coaching jobs during the 2007-08 season, referred to ESPN as a partner of the league and mentioned that coaches grant the network access and interviews because of that partnership.

The idea that journalists should "back up the coaches" is a really bad attitude to have, and it's sadly common among coaches at all levels of sports. The Lavar stories by ESPN are pathetic, but the argument against them shouldn't be the idea that journalists owe coaches positive stories or "back up" in exchange for access, which IMO is the idea that Carlisle is pitching in the above quote.

Yes, that quote wasn’t ideal. Which is probably why the reporter asked his followup. And which is why Carlisle clarified.

I don’t think Carlisle was asking ESPN to not write hard-hitting stories on coaches. He was complaining about ESPN going TMZ on a business partner. He should have used a better choice of words. But I think his intent is appropriate. ESPN inappropriately stooped well below journalism standards for their personal gain at the expense of their business partner. Carlisle was bashing that. “Backing the coaches” means not going TMZ on them, and actually reporting real news.

JetpackJesus
01-08-2018, 09:43 PM

The best part of the linked story is the screenshot of a BBB complaint with redaction done by replacing letters with asterisks. So Lonzo Ball is ***** ****. LA Lakers is ** ******. American is ********. I don't know why any of those were even redacted, or who did the redaction (BBB or TMZ), but why even bother if that's what you're going to do?

dudog84
01-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Carlisle was talking about the extra, over-and-above access given to NBA network partners.

Also from the article:

Van Gundy emphasized media criticism comes with the job.

“I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you guys criticizing coaches," Van Gundy said. "You guys cover the team. You’re paid in part to analyze what’s going on. I’ve never had an issue with anybody’s who’s criticized me.”

And then:

"I'm saying that they should look at their sources and do a better job of determining whether they have any merit or any validity. Or are they just blowhard loudmouths?" Carlisle told reporters Sunday. "That's what I'm saying. You got that?"

Me: I'm easily on the coaches side on this.

Newton_14
01-08-2018, 10:47 PM
Carlisle just screwed the Mavs. No way LiAngelo is going to play for them now.
Love it. And Carlisle was spot on. The article wasn't crap because it criticized a coach, it was crap because the source was a blowhard parent who should not have been granted the interview to begin with. If YouTube wants to give that clown airtime so be it. That's the world we live in. However, reputable mainstream media sources should not be publishing crap like this from a nobody parent. It's both comical and disgusting.

BD80
01-08-2018, 11:41 PM

And LaVar says: "hold my beer"

As promised:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-big-baller-lawsuit-20180108-story.html

LaVar "balled" on paying the company that produced the Baller apparel web site and products.

I'm SURE he'll have some excuse.

With the Better Business Bureau he said the BBB was irrelevant, that the complaints were driven by competing shoe companies, and that people only care about Yelp anyway.

JasonEvans
01-09-2018, 09:37 AM
And at this point Lonzo is essentially Ricky Rubio.

What franchise would put up with Lavar when the talent level return is Ricky Rubioesque?

Poor kid will be be playing Europe in a couple of years...good thing Lavar is making some contacts there.

And, on cue, we have a very prominent LA sports columnist asking if the Lakers should give up on Lonzo (http://beta.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-ball-plaschke-20180108-story.html#nt=tertiarynavbar). This would ordinarily be unfathomable for the #2 pick in the draft, but if Bill Plaschke (who has written for the LA Times for 30 years) is talking about it, then it is probably something at least some folks in the Lakers organization are considering.

Presented with his first chance as a Laker to choose between his father's foolishness and his employer's reputation, the kid chose his father.

When asked whether he was fine with Walton as his coach, Lonzo said, "I'll play for anybody.''

I'll play for anybody? Those are the words of a rookie whom Walton has constantly encouraged and empowered? That is the statement from a supposed team leader to a locker room under siege?

The message from Lonzo was as flat as his jump shot, and now this ongoing drama grows even thicker. The Lakers have to wonder how much the father's loud and constant discontent is affecting the son, worry that maybe some of it is coming from the son, all of which is building toward a very serious question: Is Lonzo Ball worth it? Do the Lakers really need to stay in the Ball business?

LaVar seems beyond restraint, Lonzo isn't either strong or mature enough to shake off his influence, and together they are creating unnecessary rumbling under the feet of a young team not yet rooted enough to withstand it.

At this muddled moment, there seems to be only one way the Lakers can regain control of a nasty narrative that is swallowing their rebuilding efforts and damaging their hopes of attracting top free agents. They need to meet with LaVar Ball and tell him if he doesn't shut up, they will trade his son.

As others have noted... this circus cannot be helping the Lakers pitch to Paul George and Lebron. Bet they wish they had taken Tatum.

-Jason "Tatum, Ingram, Lebron, George, and Kuzma would really, truly be the first instance of positionless basketball... would have been fun" Evans

cato
01-09-2018, 09:57 AM
And, on cue, we have a very prominent LA sports columnist asking if the Lakers should give up on Lonzo (http://beta.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-ball-plaschke-20180108-story.html#nt=tertiarynavbar). This would ordinarily be unfathomable for the #2 pick in the draft, but if Bill Plaschke (who has written for the LA Times for 30 years) is talking about it, then it is probably something at least some folks in the Lakers organization are considering.

As others have noted... this circus cannot be helping the Lakers pitch to Paul George and Lebron. Bet they wish they had taken Tatum.

-Jason "Tatum, Ingram, Lebron, George, and Kuzma would really, truly be the first instance of positionless basketball... would have been fun" Evans

As a Tatum fan, I’m pretty happy the Lakers did not take him.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2018, 10:26 AM
Finding a team wanting to take both Lonzo and Lavar might not be easy. It was one thing before the draft, when teams had only seen Lavar's attitude with UCLA and Chino Hills. Now that he has proven he is just as much of a drama queen with his son and the Lakers, teams know that it won't ever stop.
Many teams won't want the baggage.

dudog84
01-09-2018, 11:00 AM

Holy crap! Bill Plaschke is inside my head!

Seriously, the man has been the AP's national sports columnist of the year 6 times in his 21 years as a columnist. He's got some cred.

uh_no
01-09-2018, 11:23 AM

Seriously, the man has been the AP's national sports columnist of the year 6 times in his 21 years as a columnist. He's got some cred.

I mean, you don't get to be #3 on the overall around the horn wins list without some serious chops.

MartyClark
01-09-2018, 02:17 PM

I think Plaschke is a good writer and usually has some good insight. I was briefly amused by LaVar but now think that he doesn't have any redeeming value as a parent or basketball entrepreneur.

I can only guess at the Lonzo-LaVar dynamics but I think it is unfair to expect a 20 year old rookie to repudiate his father. It has to be very difficult for Lonzo to be accountable for or to publicly respond to his father's outrageous comments. This kid has to be walking a tightrope because I suspect he loves his father, warts and all, but doesn't want to openly dispute his father.

A better reply would have been something like - " I am happy the Lakers drafted me and am working hard to improve my game. I appreciate Coach Walton, the assistant coaches and my teammates. We are all working hard to win games and build for the future."

Luke Walton seems like a bright guy and I think he understands Lonzo's dilemma. He and Lonzo probably have a better bond than suggested by Plaschke or LaVar.

I think LaVar will self destruct in the near future. Maybe Lonzo and the Lakers should just play the waiting game.

CrazyNotCrazie
01-09-2018, 02:46 PM
I think Plaschke is a good writer and usually has some good insight. I was briefly amused by LaVar but now think that he doesn't have any redeeming value as a parent or basketball entrepreneur.

I can only guess at the Lonzo-LaVar dynamics but I think it is unfair to expect a 20 year old rookie to repudiate his father. It has to be very difficult for Lonzo to be accountable for or to publicly respond to his father's outrageous comments. This kid has to be walking a tightrope because I suspect he loves his father, warts and all, but doesn't want to openly dispute his father.

A better reply would have been something like - " I am happy the Lakers drafted me and am working hard to improve my game. I appreciate Coach Walton, the assistant coaches and my teammates. We are all working hard to win games and build for the future."

Luke Walton seems like a bright guy and I think he understands Lonzo's dilemma. He and Lonzo probably have a better bond than suggested by Plaschke or LaVar.

I think LaVar will self destruct in the near future. Maybe Lonzo and the Lakers should just play the waiting game.

Building on your comments, in many ways, there are likely fewer coaches better equipped to deal with the Ball circus than Walton. Yes, he is relatively young and inexperienced. But he grew up with a very famous dad who had a very big personality. I'm sure there were many times Bill embarrassed Luke. Not to the scale that LeVar is embarrassing his sons and Bill was coming from a good place in his actions while LeVar is a self-serving narcissistic con man lunatic. But Luke probably has more experience with this than most other coaches.

I struggle between feeling bad for the Ball kids and wanting them to fall flat on their faces to undermine everything their father is doing. There is likely some kind of a happy medium between the two. Not constantly sticking a microphone in front of LeVar would be a good start. Providing Lonzo with psychological guidance would be another good step.

CDu
01-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Building on your comments, in many ways, there are likely fewer coaches better equipped to deal with the Ball circus than Walton. Yes, he is relatively young and inexperienced. But he grew up with a very famous dad who had a very big personality. I'm sure there were many times Bill embarrassed Luke. Not to the scale that LeVar is embarrassing his sons and Bill was coming from a good place in his actions while LeVar is a self-serving narcissistic con man lunatic. But Luke probably has more experience with this than most other coaches.

I struggle between feeling bad for the Ball kids and wanting them to fall flat on their faces to undermine everything their father is doing. There is likely some kind of a happy medium between the two. Not constantly sticking a microphone in front of LeVar would be a good start. Providing Lonzo with psychological guidance would be another good step.

I'm not convinced that some of LaVar's comments don't actually stem from Lonzo. He is experiencing the first struggles of his basketball life. Everywhere he has gone previously, he's been coddled and very successful. Well, now he is at the top of the food chain, and isn't playing great, and it is probably frustrating. And he probably has vented some of that frustration to LaVar, who is more than happy to be the lightning rod in voicing the complaints.

On its face, it's not a bad strategy: LaVar takes the heat while getting the attention he wants, Lonzo gets to avoid the worst of the scrutiny for his feelings. Of course, the issue is that management seems quite on board with Walton, so it isn't likely to make things better for Lonzo. But I can at least envision that as the play. That's somewhat supported by Lonzo's tepid response of "I'll play for anybody".

Now, it could of course also be that Lonzo doesn't have these feelings of frustration and that this is totally on LaVar. Or it could be that Lonzo is somewhat frustrated, but that LaVar misinterpreted the extent of the frustration, and went too far in his comments. You never know. Just voicing an alternative possibility here that Lonzo may be feeding some of what LaVar said. If so, to what extent, I don't know. Just a possibility.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2018, 02:57 PM
Some clarification for a few posters...

This is LaVar.

And this is LeVar.

kAzE
01-09-2018, 03:03 PM
Just watched a couple minutes from the live stream of their first game . . . I can't help but laugh every time LaMelo goes 1 on 1 and attempts some of the most ridiculous shots imaginable. In the few minutes that I watched, he actually made one, but also got swatted a couple times in pretty embarrassing fashion. By the time I tuned in, there were about 3 minutes left and they were up by 12. I'm actually quite surprised they won the game, especially considering they have no idea what the coach is yelling in the huddle. I didn't see a translator in there, either.

dudog84
01-09-2018, 03:34 PM

As crazy as Bill Walton can be, he also has some credibility as one of the all-time great basketball players. Possibly in the conversation for top 10 when he retired? I understand he was something before the knee problems. I only know a little history because I didn't care about basketball until I got to Duke in 1980 (from football country) and still don't care much for the pros. What has LaVar ever done in his life but run his mouth?

kAzE
01-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Just watched a couple minutes from the live stream of their first game . . . I can't help but laugh every time LaMelo goes 1 on 1 and attempts some of the most ridiculous shots imaginable. In the few minutes that I watched, he actually made one, but also got swatted a couple times in pretty embarrassing fashion. By the time I tuned in, there were about 3 minutes left and they were up by 12. I'm actually quite surprised they won the game, especially considering they have no idea what the coach is yelling in the huddle. I didn't see a translator in there, either.

And I just realized this was not a Baltic League game. The team apparently left the league days after the Ball bros joined the team, and this was some sort of friendly exhibition against a bunch of under 18 players. It's basically high school level competition . . .

BD80
01-09-2018, 03:57 PM
And I just realized this was not a Baltic League game. The team apparently left the league days after the Ball bros joined the team, and this was some sort of friendly exhibition against a bunch of under 18 players. It's basically high school level competition . . .

With more media in attendance than any other game in the history of Lithuania ... probably not many spectators.

kAzE
01-09-2018, 03:58 PM
With more media in attendance than any other game in the history of Lithuania ... probably not many spectators.

120,000+ viewers on the live stream though . . .