PDA

View Full Version : FB: 2017 Playoffs and Bowls

Pages : [1] 2

-jk
12-03-2017, 12:59 PM
So we get Clemson v Bama and Oklahoma v Georgia. No Bigger-whatever.

-jk

ipatent
12-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Tough draw for Clemson after working their way up to #1. They should have re-seeded the teams.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Looks like fun games to watch. Color me excited.

Bob Green
12-03-2017, 02:18 PM
ACC with four Top 25 teams in final poll:

1. Clemson
10. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
24. N.C. State

Bob Green
12-03-2017, 02:39 PM
Trouble for Georgia. Linebacker Natrez Patrick and receiver Jayson Stanley arrested last night:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21653294/natrez-patrick-university-georgia-arrested-dui-marijuana

It's the third marijuana-related arrest for Patrick and the second this year. He was arrested in October on misdemeanor marijuana charges and served a four-game suspension. He was also arrested on the same charges as a freshman in 2015 and was suspended one game.

Georgia Athletic Association policies mandate that student-athletes be dismissed from the team following a third drug-related incident. Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart and a team spokesman weren't immediately available for comment.

Olympic Fan
12-03-2017, 02:58 PM
No love for Alabama, but glad to see them picked ahead of the most pretentious football program in the country.

My skin crawls every time I hear THE Ohio State University.

We don't hear THE University of Michigan or THE NC State University. We don't hear THE Harvard University.

Even in Chapel Hill, we don't hear them calling themselves THE Cheats.

PackMan97
12-03-2017, 03:15 PM
Even in Chapel Hill, we don't hear them calling themselves THE Cheats.

That's because I'm never in Chapel Hill.

DU82
12-03-2017, 03:21 PM
VT to the Camping World Bowl. Wisconsin to the Orange Bowl, which should put ND in the Citrus Bowl, moving everybody else up a slot.

BigWayne
12-03-2017, 03:22 PM
McMurphy twitter is pumping them out as they come across. https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy

BC in the Pinstripe is the latest as of this second.

SCMatt33
12-03-2017, 03:25 PM
McMurphy twitter is pumping them out as they come across. https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy

BC in the Pinstripe is the latest as of this second.

Wake to Belk, NC State to Sun and L'ville to TaxSlayer. If true that would leave Duke, FSU and UVA for tier 2.

Bob Green
12-03-2017, 03:26 PM
State to Sun Bowl:

ACC Football‏Verified account
@ACCFootball
Follow Follow @ACCFootball

No. 24 @PackFootball will play in the @HyundaiSunBowl December 29th! #ACC #ACCFootball #1Pack1Goal

BigWayne
12-03-2017, 03:26 PM
FSU in Shreveport.

DU82
12-03-2017, 03:27 PM
FSU to Independence. Leaves Duke and UVa for Military and Quick Lane.

Bob Green
12-03-2017, 03:27 PM
Duke to Quick Lane Bowl:

The ACC‏Verified account
@theACC
59s59 seconds ago
More
.@DukeFOOTBALL will play in the @quicklanebowl December 26th! #ACC #ACCFootball

budwom
12-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Duke to Quick Lane Bowl:

versus?

YmoBeThere
12-03-2017, 03:32 PM
Great for the team to get to a bowl game. Unfortunately, this makes my Christmas travel plans easy.

BigWayne
12-03-2017, 03:32 PM
versus?

ACC only announcing the ACC teams. Need announcement from the bowl or elsewhere to see the opponents.

Bob Green
12-03-2017, 03:35 PM
versus?

TBD.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2017, 03:40 PM
{redacted by OPK — more appropriate in Duke bowl thread}

Kfanarmy
12-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Once again the third place team from the SEC. Can't win their division, but get to play in the tourney. What a load. Auburn BEAT Alabama soundly.

Troublemaker
12-03-2017, 04:22 PM
Bama opens as a 2-pt favorite against Clemson.

OU-Georgia is currently a pick'em or a 1-pt fave in either direction, depending on the book.

SoCalDukeFan
12-03-2017, 04:31 PM
should have played Mercer rather than Oklahoma. Would have won and would only have one loss.

Alabama needs to be punished for their creampuff schedule of 3 non power 5 conference teams at home every year.

SoCal

arnie
12-03-2017, 04:48 PM
should have played Mercer rather than Oklahoma. Would have won and would only have one loss.

Alabama needs to be punished for their creampuff schedule of 3 non power 5 conference teams at home every year.

SoCal

Or maybe OSU opens with Florida State and loses 😀

Nugget
12-03-2017, 04:51 PM

SoCal

While the SEC scheduling does rankle, I think picking Bama over OSU was very reasonable. In particular, I don't think Ohio St. was punished for losing to Oklahoma, but for getting boat-raced by 31 by (very mediocre) Iowa.

I bet Dabo secretly would have rather played Ohio St. than Alabama.

OldPhiKap
12-03-2017, 04:55 PM
While the SEC scheduling does rankle, I think picking Bama over OSU was very reasonable. In particular, I don't think Ohio St. was punished for losing to Oklahoma, but for getting boat-raced by 31 by (very mediocre) Iowa.

I bet Dabo secretly would have rather played Ohio St. than Alabama.

I was arguing for tOSU over Alabama. But I cannot really fault their schedule. They play in an historically brutal division of a typically brutal conference, and opened with #2 FSU which looked great on paper when scheduled and actually played. Throwing in three soft teams is not that big a deal to me.

TOSU played a cupcake on the road and got blown out. That seems to be the difference-maker.

luvdahops
12-03-2017, 05:09 PM
I was arguing for tOSU over Alabama. But I cannot really fault their schedule. They play in an historically brutal division of a typically brutal conference, and opened with #2 FSU which looked great on paper when scheduled and actually played. Throwing in three soft teams is not that big a deal to me.

TOSU played a cupcake on the road and got blown out. That seems to be the difference-maker.

True. And keep in mind that the last 2 Big Ten playoff participants have lost by a combined 69-0. Every year is different, and every team is different. But if I’m a committee member, that history has to be a factor.

Wander
12-03-2017, 06:49 PM

SoCal

Not sure this really works. In the preseason, most people would have thought Alabama's non-conference schedule was better than Ohio State's. They're hardly the only team to only have 1 out of 4 non-conference opponents be from the power 5 conferences.

vick
12-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Can't really complain about Alabama getting the nod, though I could see the case for OSU. 15 of the 16 playoff teams have now been top-4 in strength of record (2014 OSU beating TCU the exception, and that's by far the most controversial decision in my book). If you believe they the committee is implicitly solving for strength of record, they've been very lucky so far, as there would have been some massive controversies in past years: In 2008 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture/_/week/16/year/2008), the top three teams were all in the Big XII, actual champion Florida was sixth. In 2009 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture/_/year/2009), Cincy managed to be #4 in strength of record and the AP poll, and was 19th in FPI. Playing them would have given a 1-seed an absolutely enormous advantage (would it have been Alabama or Texas?). The last four years have been relatively tame by those standards I think.

Bob Green
12-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Florida Atlantic University beat Akron in the Boca Raton Bowl 50 - 3 last night, which makes me wonder how successful can Lane Kiffin be at FAU? He was given a 10 year contract extension yesterday (before the bowl game was played) after leading FAU to 10 regular season victories and the Conference USA Championship in his inaugural season.

Kiffin is definitely unconventional. Early in the bowl game, Kiffin opted to go for it on 4th down from FAU's 25 yard line - they made it.

jv001
12-20-2017, 07:32 AM
Florida Atlantic University beat Akron in the Boca Raton Bowl 50 - 3 last night, which makes me wonder how successful can Lane Kiffin be at FAU? He was given a 10 year contract extension yesterday (before the bowl game was played) after leading FAU to 10 regular season victories and the Conference USA Championship in his inaugural season.

Kiffin is definitely unconventional. Early in the bowl game, Kiffin opted to go for it on 4th down from FAU's 25 yard line - they made it.

Bob, I think he went for 2pts after a TD and they were up 34-3. A lot of his players were woofing through out the game. GoDuke!

Bob Green
12-20-2017, 07:35 AM
Bob, I think he went for 2pts after a TD and they were up 34-3. A lot of his players were woofing through out the game. GoDuke!

I quit watching at halftime with FAU up 21 - 3. The game was chippy from the start. Kiffin/FAU are not going to win any Sportsmanship awards for sure.

jv001
12-20-2017, 07:38 AM
I quit watching at halftime with FAU up 21 - 3. The game was chippy from the start. Kiffin/FAU are not going to win any Sportsmanship awards for sure.

That's for sure. GoDuke!

elvis14
12-20-2017, 09:28 AM

Golic and Wingnut were discussing this game this morning and apparently Kiffen stated that someone from the other team had been talking crap before the game and that he went for 2 there to stick it to them.

OldPhiKap
12-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Golic and Wingnut were discussing this game this morning and apparently Kiffen stated that someone from the other team had been talking crap before the game and that he went for 2 there to stick it to them.

Good to see that Kiffen maintains a consistent level of maturity.

Bluedog
12-20-2017, 09:49 AM
Trouble for Georgia. Linebacker Natrez Patrick and receiver Jayson Stanley arrested last night:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21653294/natrez-patrick-university-georgia-arrested-dui-marijuana

It's the third marijuana-related arrest for Patrick and the second this year. He was arrested in October on misdemeanor marijuana charges and served a four-game suspension. He was also arrested on the same charges as a freshman in 2015 and was suspended one game.
Georgia Athletic Association policies mandate that student-athletes be dismissed from the team following a third drug-related incident. Bulldogs coach Kirby Smart and a team spokesman weren't immediately available for comment.

Looks like Patrick will be good to go for the Rose Bowl because his negative drug test was part of his probation and not part of the UGA admininstered tests. He passed the drug test given by UGA following his arrest. And I guess the city-administered failed drug test doesn't carry over to UGA's drug offense policy interestingly.
https://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Georgia-Bulldogs-recruiting-Elijah-Moore-flips-to-Ole-Miss-Rebels-on-early-signing-day-112508391

Edit: Looks like HC Kriby Smart is still non-committal one way or the other. That's just his attorney talking saying he should be allowed to play.

Defensive back, Latavious Brini, was recently arrested on felony forgery charges as well:
https://www.redandblack.com/sports/football/kirby-smart-updates-the-disciplinary-status-of-natrez-patrick-jayson/article_3cdacf40-e41a-11e7-8da7-9359a79502db.html

Bob Green
12-22-2017, 06:52 AM
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is today at 4 pm on ESPN and could be of interest to Duke fans. Central Michigan (8-4) takes on Wyoming (7-5) in Boise. Our bowl opponent, Northern Illinois, lost to Central Michigan, 31-24, in their last game of the regular season.

The Bahamas Bowl at 12:30 pm on ESPN matches UAB (8-4) against Ohio (8-4). Ohio is another MAC school but they did not play Northern Illinois this season; however, the two teams had five common opponents: both NIU and Ohio beat Kent State, Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan, and lost to Central Michigan. Ohio beat Toledo but NIU lost to Toledo.

Anyway, today is a good opportunity for Duke fans to watch Mid-American Conference football in preparation for watching our bowl game against NIU.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 09:24 AM
The Famous Idaho Potato Bowl is today at 4 pm on ESPN and could be of interest to Duke fans. Central Michigan (8-4) takes on Wyoming (7-5) in Boise. Our bowl opponent, Northern Illinois, lost to Central Michigan, 31-24, in their last game of the regular season.

The Bahamas Bowl at 12:30 pm on ESPN matches UAB (8-4) against Ohio (8-4). Ohio is another MAC school but they did not play Northern Illinois this season; however, the two teams had five common opponents: both NIU and Ohio beat Kent State, Bowling Green and Eastern Michigan, and lost to Central Michigan. Ohio beat Toledo but NIU lost to Toledo.

Anyway, today is a good opportunity for Duke fans to watch Mid-American Conference football and drink fine, hand-crafted ales in preparation for watching our bowl game against NIU.

Great tips/heads-up, Bob. I did add one other suggestion :o.

dudog84
12-22-2017, 12:56 PM
This is interesting (to me). Florida State is not bowl-eligible...but will still play. Anything goes to keep the streak alive.

Why did I expect the NCAA (or ACC) to do the right thing?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/as-questions-surround-florida-states-bowl-eligibility-independence-bowl-will-go-on/

OldPhiKap
12-22-2017, 01:09 PM
This is interesting (to me). Florida State is not bowl-eligible...but will still play. Anything goes to keep the streak alive.

Why did I expect the NCAA (or ACC) to do the right thing?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/as-questions-surround-florida-states-bowl-eligibility-independence-bowl-will-go-on/

Perhaps the result would be different if this had come up much earlier, like it appears to have been possible. Their game with Delaware State was in mid-November.

As is, it looks like this article is dated yesterday and the bowl is in five days now. Too late to make a change even if someone wanted to.

This is sorta like calling in a penalty for a PGA televised event the day after the final round, after the names have already been inscribed in the trophy and the money paid out.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 01:19 PM
Perhaps the result would be different if this had come up much earlier, like it appears to have been possible. Their game with Delaware State was in mid-November.

As is, it looks like this article is dated yesterday and the bowl is in five days now. Too late to make a change even if someone wanted to.

This is sorta like calling in a penalty for a PGA televised event the day after the final round, after the names have already been inscribed in the trophy and the money paid out.

Or, allowing a dishonest, cheating, lying bunch of wankers to compete for championships despite academic fraud spanning four decades and then not punish them for it. But that's only my $1.3879 opinion. :mad:

Wander
12-22-2017, 01:23 PM

We can land on the Moon, but we can't cancel a college exhibition game?

I agree, it won't change. But that's lame.

Bob Green
12-22-2017, 02:00 PM
The 1st half has been all Ohio in the Bahamas with the Bobcats out in front of UAB 27 - 3. Ohio has had lots of success running the ball (145 yards) which has opened up the passing game (127 yards). UAB's defense has been on the field way too much.

Bob Green
12-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Final: Ohio 41, UAB 6.

Ohio was balanced running and passing. Impressive win for the Bobcats.

Bob Green
12-22-2017, 05:38 PM
Halftime: Wyoming 27, Central Michigan 7.

This one has been dominated by the Cowboys so far. CMU hasn't been able to get anything going. The Wyoming quarterback is impressive.

Reilly
12-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Halftime: Wyoming 27, Central Michigan 7.

This one has been dominated by the Cowboys so far. CMU hasn't been able to get anything going. The Wyoming quarterback is impressive.

Wyoming coached by 1994 Duke defensive coordinator Craig Bohl.

PackMan97
12-22-2017, 08:06 PM
FYI,Ted Roof the is coming back to the Triangle as States assistant coach.

devildeac
12-22-2017, 08:17 PM
FYI,Ted Roof the is coming back to the Triangle as States assistant coach.

What's his ceiling?

(bad, dd, bad :rolleyes::o)

Bob Green
12-23-2017, 07:10 AM
You can get another look at MAC football this evening as the MAC Champion Toledo Rockets play Appalachian State in the Dollar General Bowl at 7 pm. Toledo beat NIU 27-17 during the regular season.

Today's bowl action kicks off at 12:00 pm with Texas Tech vs. South Florida in the Birmingham Bowl followed by San Diego State vs. Army in the Armed Forces Bowl at 3:30 pm.

Bob Green
12-23-2017, 06:51 PM
The Army win over San Diego State was an exciting, exciting football game. It's hard for a Navy man to pull for the Black Knights but I just spent the afternoon doing just that. The best part is dynamic quarterback Ahmad Bradshaw is a senior so he will not be visiting Wallace Wade Stadium on September 1, 2018. :cool:

Olympic Fan
12-23-2017, 07:04 PM
Until today, the bowl season has been pretty lousy - mostly huge mismatches between rinky dink teams. I don't mind watching rinky dink teams, but not when it's 55-14.

Both of today's games were great -- Charlie Strong and South Florida pulling out a win over Texas Tech in the final minute, then Army scoring the game-tying TD with 16 seconds left and winning the game with a two-point conversion (Army added a TD on the last pay as SDSU had a desperation lateral intercepted and returned for a TD). BTW, San Diego's Rashaad Penny was unbelievable -- 14 carries for 222 yards and 4 TDs. Best running back in the country -- he'll be a better prove than Barley or Love (we'll see how all three fare in the NFL).

Looking forward to the App State-Toledo game. Today has restored my enthusiasm for the bowl season.

BTW: It turns out that the "controversy" over FSU's bowl eligibility was nothing more than internet BS, created by an anonymous Reddit poster who doesn't know the rules:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21851112/florida-state-seminoles-confirm-bowl-eligibility-amid-scrutiny

dudog84
12-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Until today, the bowl season has been pretty lousy - mostly huge mismatches between rinky dink teams. I don't mind watching rinky dink teams, but not when it's 55-14.

Both of today's games were great -- Charlie Strong and South Florida pulling out a win over Texas Tech in the final minute, then Army scoring the game-tying TD with 16 seconds left and winning the game with a two-point conversion (Army added a TD on the last pay as SDSU had a desperation lateral intercepted and returned for a TD). BTW, San Diego's Rashaad Penny was unbelievable -- 14 carries for 222 yards and 4 TDs. Best running back in the country -- he'll be a better prove than Barley or Love (we'll see how all three fare in the NFL).

Looking forward to the App State-Toledo game. Today has restored my enthusiasm for the bowl season.

BTW: It turns out that the "controversy" over FSU's bowl eligibility was nothing more than internet BS, created by an anonymous Reddit poster who doesn't know the rules:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21851112/florida-state-seminoles-confirm-bowl-eligibility-amid-scrutiny

In my defense, my link was from cbssports.com. From the espn article:

"The idea behind the rule was to deter FBS schools from playing FCS schools that had no chance to compete with an FBS school."

FSU won the game in question 77-6. l...o...l. So maybe my point about doing the right thing isn't so far-fetched.

duke4ever19
12-23-2017, 10:53 PM
In my defense, my link was from cbssports.com. From the espn article:

"The idea behind the rule was to deter FBS schools from playing FCS schools that had no chance to compete with an FBS school."

FSU won the game in question 77-6. l...o...l. So maybe my point about doing the right thing isn't so far-fetched.

Let me get this straight . . .

The "right thing" is for FSU to abide by the spurious, misinformed findings made by random reddit user? Or is it just that you think they should feel bad?

In my opinion, the "right thing" would be to know the rules, evaluate your bowl eligibility based on those rules and then attend or decline a bowl invite as the case may be.

If this was Duke football, and we beat Delaware St. which made us bowl eligible, (1) no one would be on reddit questioning it (2) you wouldn't be arguing that Duke shouldn't go to a bowl game because they beat Delaware St.

OZ
12-23-2017, 11:04 PM

App won 34-0. Enthusiasm dampened for the time being.

YmoBeThere
12-24-2017, 07:17 AM

What did that game do to it? (Your enthusiasm)

Reilly
12-24-2017, 09:26 AM
What did that game do to it? (Your enthusiasm)

There should be a thread tracking OlyFan's enthusiasm for bowl season. It would work like davekaye's explanation (somewhere on these boards) of Joe Lunardi's Bracketology.

After an entertaining, good bowl game, we can all weigh in that OlyFan's enthusiasm for bowl season is restored/high/trending in the right direction, and after a clunker, we can all state that the enthusiasm has taken a hit. By the time we get to the national championship game, via the power of crowd-sourcing and our sophisticated, nuanced understanding of human emotion and, in particular, mood swings influenced by the outcomes of college games, I bet we will arrive at a pretty fair estimation of Oly's enthusiasm.

It sounds like an almost impossible undertaking to predict such a thing with so many variables -- I mean, really, how can any one man's enthusiasm for anything be predicted -- but like Lunardi and unlike the rest of college sports fans, I (we?) pay closer attention than mere mortals -- we notice the smiles and affirmative head nods of winners, we see and recall losing fans' grimaces, and we recall actually watching the end of games with a close margin rather than heading to the cookie tray.

Olympic Fan
12-24-2017, 12:44 PM
There should be a thread tracking OlyFan's enthusiasm for bowl season. It would work like davekaye's explanation (somewhere on these boards) of Joe Lunardi's Bracketology.

After an entertaining, good bowl game, we can all weigh in that OlyFan's enthusiasm for bowl season is restored/high/trending in the right direction, and after a clunker, we can all state that the enthusiasm has taken a hit. By the time we get to the national championship game, via the power of crowd-sourcing and our sophisticated, nuanced understanding of human emotion and, in particular, mood swings influenced by the outcomes of college games, I bet we will arrive at a pretty fair estimation of Oly's enthusiasm.

It sounds like an almost impossible undertaking to predict such a thing with so many variables -- I mean, really, how can any one man's enthusiasm for anything be predicted -- but like Lunardi and unlike the rest of college sports fans, I (we?) pay closer attention than mere mortals -- we notice the smiles and affirmative head nods of winners, we see and recall losing fans' grimaces, and we recall actually watching the end of games with a close margin rather than heading to the cookie tray.

Thanks for the concern for my enthusiasm ... I admit that it took a hit last night. I bailed on App State's rout of Toledo before halftime. But I will at least start the Houston-Fresno State tonight.

In more important stuff, has anybody else been paying attention to the MAC's performance in bowls so far? Ohio had a nice win over UAB, but Toledo, Central Michigan and Akron were all routed (by App State, Wyoming and FAU, respectively). Not a great showing by the league.

I won't say that guarantees anything, but I think it does bode well for our matchup with Northern Illinois.

dudog84
12-24-2017, 01:04 PM
Let me get this straight . . .

The "right thing" is for FSU to abide by the spurious, misinformed findings made by random reddit user? Or is it just that you think they should feel bad?

In my opinion, the "right thing" would be to know the rules, evaluate your bowl eligibility based on those rules and then attend or decline a bowl invite as the case may be.

If this was Duke football, and we beat Delaware St. which made us bowl eligible, (1) no one would be on reddit questioning it (2) you wouldn't be arguing that Duke shouldn't go to a bowl game because they beat Delaware St.

Too bad (for you) that the username OZ was already taken since you seem to be all-knowing.

For the record, if the only way Duke could qualify for a third-tier bowl game was to beat a glorified high school team, yeah, I'd be arguing they shouldn't go. But then I've never been much for false accolades. Even then, I wouldn't presume to tell others they shouldn't enjoy it. To each his/her own.

DU82
12-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Too bad (for you) that the username OZ was already taken since you seem to be all-knowing.

For the record, if the only way Duke could qualify for a third-tier bowl game was to beat a glorified high school team, yeah, I'd be arguing they shouldn't go. But then I've never been much for false accolades. Even then, I wouldn't presume to tell others they shouldn't enjoy it. To each his/her own.

Well, we did play/beat up NC Central.

IIRC, the first year we played them, they were transitioning to Division 1, and our game against them would not have counted for bowl eligibility because they didn’t offer enough scholarships at the time. So it would have been the same thing as FSU beating Delaware State, had the Reddit troll been correct.

dudog84
12-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Well, we did play/beat up NC Central.

IIRC, the first year we played them, they were transitioning to Division 1, and our game against them would not have counted for bowl eligibility because they didn’t offer enough scholarships at the time. So it would have been the same thing as FSU beating Delaware State, had the Reddit troll been correct.

Good point. And with that being one of our six wins, I don't think we earned a bowl. I was disappointed in the year, but again that's just me. And maybe a good thing that my expectations of Duke football are higher than they've ever been.

We're also talking about FSU football playing a patsy. I'm biased, but I'll give Duke football a bit more of a pass. If it was basketball, the reverse would be true.

Bob Green
12-27-2017, 02:31 PM
Florida State has a 13-6 lead over Southern Miss in the 2nd quarter of the Independence Bowl. Both teams have missed a PAT.

Bob Green
12-27-2017, 05:01 PM
ACC improves to 2-0 as FSU blows out Southern Miss 42-13. Next up is Boston College vs. Iowa in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Olympic Fan
12-27-2017, 07:06 PM
ACC improves to 2-0 as FSU blows out Southern Miss 42-13. Next up is Boston College vs. Iowa in the Pinstripe Bowl.

BC up 17-10 at the half in the ACC's first matchup with a P5 opponent.

devildeac
12-27-2017, 08:41 PM
BC up 17-10 at the half in the ACC's first matchup with a P5 opponent.

BC loses, 27-20. Too many turnovers and Iowa really played good D the second half.

Bob Green
12-28-2017, 06:25 AM
Two more ACC teams are in action today starting with Virginia vs. Navy in the Military Bowl at 1:30 pm. I'll be rooting hard for my second favorite college football team in this one - Go NAVY! Beat Virginia!!

At 5:30 pm, Virginia Tech takes on Oklahoma State in the Camping World Bowl. Virginia Tech defense gives up 13.5 points per game while the Oklahoma State offense averages 46. This one could be interesting.

wilson
12-28-2017, 01:58 PM
I find the numerous one-offs and general Oregonification of football uniforms to be mostly tiresome, but Navy’s Blue Angel unis today are flippin’ sweet.

TKG
12-28-2017, 03:12 PM
The Middies are manhandling the Hoos, up 28-7 at the half.

jimsumner
12-28-2017, 03:55 PM
Exactly how did Duke lose to Virginia?

Rhetorical question.

Bob Green
12-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Navy is up 42-7 now with 1:57 left in the 3rd Quarter. The Midshipmen have 383 yards rushing so far.

devildeac
12-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Rhetorical question.

2016?

2017?

Both?

More rhetorical questions.

luvdahops
12-28-2017, 04:57 PM
I find the numerous one-offs and general Oregonification of football uniforms to be mostly tiresome, but Navy’s Blue Angel unis today are flippin’ sweet.

Agreed on both counts

I greatly prefer a more traditional approach - i.e. one helmet, regular home and away jersey/pants combinations, alternate uniforms done a max of 1x per year and always incorporating the actual school colors. Maybe a special jersey of sorts for bowl games, and occasional mixing and matching on jersey/pants combos. But that's it.

Navy's Blue Angels look today is definitely sweet, though....

OldPhiKap
12-28-2017, 08:34 PM
VT looking outclassed, but pulling within 6 as the fourth quarter winds down . . . .

Faison1
12-28-2017, 08:57 PM
VT looking outclassed, but pulling within 6 as the fourth quarter winds down . . . .

VPI could have taken control of the game in the first quarter, but instead fumbled on the 1 foot line, 1st and goal. I was in the gym working out, and yelled out loud for what a bad play that was. I don't even like VPI...but I care about the ACC. They would have been up 14-3...totally different ballgame.

OldPhiKap
12-28-2017, 09:00 PM
And down they go.

YmoBeThere
12-28-2017, 09:03 PM
So, ACC now 2-3?

duke09hms
12-28-2017, 09:26 PM

Rhetorical question.

2016?

2017?

Both?

More rhetorical questions.

Special Teams coach Zach Roper became the Duke OC at the end of the 2015 season . . .

JasonEvans
12-29-2017, 06:21 PM
I have a hard time believing there will be a worse call by the refs than this bowl season than the one that kicked Kentucky RB Benny Snell out of the Music City Bowl game.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-rb-benny-snell-jr-ejected-music-city-bowl-contact-official

brevity
12-29-2017, 07:15 PM
So, ACC now 2-3?

Well, now they're 4-3.

BELK BOWL (Charlotte): Wake Forest 55, Texas A&M 52

HERB SENDEK BOWL (El Paso): NC State 52, Arizona State 31

MChambers
12-29-2017, 07:28 PM
I have a hard time believing there will be a worse call by the refs than this bowl season than the one that kicked Kentucky RB Benny Snell out of the Music City Bowl game.

https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-rb-benny-snell-jr-ejected-music-city-bowl-contact-official

Maybe not worse, but the ejection of the NU linebacker was as bad. Really bad showing for the refs.

OldPhiKap
12-29-2017, 10:20 PM
HERB SENDEK BOWL (El Paso)

FWIW, El Paso was my favorite destination of every bowl we have been since the Goldsmith era. No city truly embraces its bowl visitors like El Paso.

It is true civic pride at its finest.

That’s even before factoring in the tats and all in Juarez.

Olympic Fan
12-29-2017, 10:47 PM
Well, now they're 4-3.

BELK BOWL (Charlotte): Wake Forest 55, Texas A&M 52

HERB SENDEK BOWL (El Paso): NC State 52, Arizona State 31

At halftime of the Cotton Bowl, the Power 5 conferences in bowls:

Big Ten 4-0
Big 12 4-2
ACC 4-3
Pac 12 1-5
SEC 0-3

And with Ohio State thumping USC in the Cotton Bowl, the Big Ten is likely to improve its record, while the Pac 12 sinks closer to the SEC.

I thought I'd add one more thing. Earlier this season, I argued that the ACC Atlantic Division was the best division in college football -- better than the touted SEC West.

It so happened that we got three head-to-head matchups this bowl season of comparable teams from the two divisions.

Wake Forest (4-4 in the ACC and 7-5) overall just beat Texas A&M (4-4l 7-5)

Louisville (4-4, 7-5) takes on Mississippi State (4-4; 7-5) at noon Saturday in the Taxslayer Bowl

Clemson (7-1, 12-1) takes on Alabama (7-1, 11-1) in the Sugar Bowl.

The ACC Atlantic is already 3-1 in bowls with Louisville and Clemson to go. The SEC West is 0-1 with Alabama, Auburn, LSU to go (the SEC West only qualified four teams for bowls because 6-6 Ole Miss is on probation).

ipatent
12-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Would have been a good no-call.

PackMan97
12-30-2017, 04:55 AM
The State vs ASU games was not as close as the score indicated. Their offense got on track in the fourth quarter, but they were never able to stop NC States offense.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 07:45 AM
The State vs ASU games was not as close as the score indicated. Their offense got on track in the fourth quarter, but they were never able to stop NC States offense.

Also, a very well executed onside kick was as dramatic as it got. Good win for the Pack.

TruBlu
12-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Yesterday was not a good day for the last two teams to beat Duke in bowl games.

Arizona State lost to Packman's team. Texas A&M lost to Wake, who we beat in the regular season.

Oh, and Cincy didn't even make a bowl game (I think).

Duke curse?

devildeac
12-30-2017, 08:46 AM

Arizona State lost to Packman's team. Texas A&M lost to Wake, who we beat in the regular season.

Duke curse?

Only works in MBB.

(;):rolleyes:)

OldPhiKap
12-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Duke curse?

Indiana did not make a bowl either.

I guess we can give Wisconsin and Texas Tech a pass at this point. From 1990 until Cut arrived, the curse was on us.

TruBlu
12-30-2017, 09:09 AM
Indiana did not make a bowl either.

I guess we can give Wisconsin and Texas Tech a pass at this point. From 1990 until Cut arrived, the curse was on us.

We beat Indiana*, so the curse was not in effect there.

*Unless the Halloween Miami officials are still reviewing some plays. (Yes, I hold grudges.)

Olympic Fan
12-30-2017, 09:16 AM
At halftime of the Cotton Bowl, the Power 5 conferences in bowls:

Big Ten 4-0
Big 12 4-2
ACC 4-3
Pac 12 1-5
SEC 0-3

And with Ohio State thumping USC in the Cotton Bowl, the Big Ten is likely to improve its record, while the Pac 12 sinks closer to the SEC.

I thought I'd add one more thing. Earlier this season, I argued that the ACC Atlantic Division was the best division in college football -- better than the touted SEC West.

It so happened that we got three head-to-head matchups this bowl season of comparable teams from the two divisions.

Wake Forest (4-4 in the ACC and 7-5) overall just beat Texas A&M (4-4l 7-5)

Louisville (4-4, 7-5) takes on Mississippi State (4-4; 7-5) at noon Saturday in the Taxslayer Bowl

Clemson (7-1, 12-1) takes on Alabama (7-1, 11-1) in the Sugar Bowl.

The ACC Atlantic is already 3-1 in bowls with Louisville and Clemson to go. The SEC West is 0-1 with Alabama, Auburn, LSU to go (the SEC West only qualified four teams for bowls because 6-6 Ole Miss is on probation).

Just to update, with Ohio State's win, it's now:

Big Ten 5-0
Big 12 4-2
ACC 3-2
Pac 12 1-6
SEC 0-3

sagegrouse
12-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Big Ten 5-0
Big 12 4-2
ACC 3-2
Pac 12 1-6
SEC 0-3

Oly, I didn't check the other numbers, but the ACC appears to be 4-3:

Wins:
Duke
Florida State
Wake Forest
NC State

Losses:
Boston College
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Olympic Fan
12-30-2017, 09:39 AM
Oly, I didn't check the other numbers, but the ACC appears to be 4-3:

Wins:
Duke
Florida State
Wake Forest
NC State

Losses:
Boston College
Virginia
Virginia Tech

Yes ... it was right in the original post. I just miscopied when I updated. But the ACC is squarely 4-3 going into the Louisville-Mississippi State game today at noon (hope to make the SEC 0-4)

YmoBeThere
12-30-2017, 10:00 AM
I won't be surprised if the Big 10 goes 8-0 in bowl games. They have a lot of favorable matchups. And while much may be made of the 0-3 SEC record at the moment, they are 2-1 against the spresd.

jimsumner
12-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Is the state of North Carolina the capital of college football?

Wins by NC A&T, App State, Duke, Wake Forest and NC State. 5-0.

Not a serious question. The quality of the opposition factors in here. But still, pretty interesting.

Faison1
12-30-2017, 12:18 PM

Not a serious question. The quality of the opposition factors in here. But still, pretty interesting.

As my wife (UNC Alum) pointed out yesterday, almost everyone from North Carolina made a bowl game...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 12:46 PM
As my wife (UNC Alum) pointed out yesterday, almost everyone from North Carolina made a bowl game...

Who missed?

I can't think of a single academic institution that didn't make the cut.

PDDuke85
12-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Who missed?

I can't think of a single academic institution that didn't make the cut.

ECU.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 12:58 PM
ECU.

Gotcha. Thanks.

devildeac
12-30-2017, 01:15 PM

There's a name/school missing from your list but I just can't place who it might be. Might have to don my thinking hat and ponder for a bit.

;):rolleyes:

(I see others addressed the "oversight" before me but I can't read this thread all the time :o.)

budwom
12-30-2017, 01:27 PM

Big Ten 5-0
Big 12 4-2
ACC 3-2
Pac 12 1-6
SEC 0-3

PAC 12 is 1-7 and will probably be 1-8 after Penn St. beats Washington

jimsumner
12-30-2017, 07:22 PM
ECU.

UNC. ECU. Charlotte.

And NC Central could have had the A&T slot.

arnie
12-30-2017, 08:03 PM
UNC. ECU. Charlotte.

And NC Central could have had the A&T slot.

I think the reference was to academic institutions; or schools that should remain accredited. That leaves us ECU, Charlotte and Central

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-30-2017, 08:15 PM
I think the reference was to academic institutions; or schools that should remain accredited. That leaves us ECU, Charlotte and Central

Jokes are even more fun when explained to death

ice-9
12-30-2017, 09:52 PM
The Big 10 might be better than we all thought.

budwom
12-31-2017, 10:09 AM

and perhaps the PAC 12 should stick to water polo. What a horrific bowl season they've had...it isn't just the record (1-8), it's also the number of blowouts they endured.

Wander
12-31-2017, 10:20 AM

Agreed, but I'll be a pain and point out that the Big 10 had an easier time amassing a great bowl record because they don't have a lot of medium level teams. The Big 10 had 6/14 teams not go to bowls, compared to 2/14 for the ACC, 3/12 for the Pac 12, 2/10 for the Big 12, and 5/14 for the SEC. And of course, they don't have to play the very best teams at the top because they're locked out of the playoffs.

That said, the Big 10 teams have looked good and of course it's stupid that we only have 4 playoff spots to lock them out. Interesting that in an expanded playoff to 8 teams, the other four teams that IMO should get in are playing each other (Auburn/UCF and Ohio State/USC).

arnie
12-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Agreed, but I'll be a pain and point out that the Big 10 had an easier time amassing a great bowl record because they don't have a lot of medium level teams. The Big 10 had 6/14 teams not go to bowls, compared to 2/14 for the ACC, 3/12 for the Pac 12, 2/10 for the Big 12, and 5/14 for the SEC. And of course, they don't have to play the very best teams at the top because they're locked out of the playoffs.

That said, the Big 10 teams have looked good and of course it's stupid that we only have 4 playoff spots to lock them out. Interesting that in an expanded playoff to 8 teams, the other four teams that IMO should get in are playing each other (Auburn/UCF and Ohio State/USC).

Actually 4 of 14 in ACC not bowl eligible: Syracuse, Pitt , GaT and the unwashed institution.

I agree with an 8-team playoff, not sure UCF should get in. Their conference hasn’t done well in bowls, but will see if they can stay with Auburn.

Wander
12-31-2017, 10:43 AM
Actually 4 of 14 in ACC not bowl eligible: Syracuse, Pitt , GaT and the unwashed institution.

I agree with an 8-team playoff, not sure UCF should get in. Their conference hasn’t done well in bowls, but will see if they can stay with Auburn.

Yup, I goofed on the conference stats, good catch.

If UCF wouldn't get into even an 8-team playoff (which you might be correct), then college football needs to burn itself down and start again. Which it probably needs to do anyway.

PackMan97
12-31-2017, 12:10 PM
Carolina did make the toilet bowl game against Louisville. They lost. I'm not sure if it was an official bowl game, but we should seen it s such.

Faison1
12-31-2017, 12:39 PM

My apologies if this has been covered before....I agree with the urge to have an 8-Team Playoff, but I'm not sure it's physically possible anymore.

Already, teams are playing a 12 game schedule. If you add a conference Title Game, that makes 13. With an 8-Team Playoff, the teams that make the final game are up to 16. Now, you're talking pro ball.

I'd love to see a solution to the issue at hand, but it seems like a big problem...unless of course we just give up on the concept of amateur athletics.

TampaDuke
12-31-2017, 12:58 PM
. . . I agree with an 8-team playoff, not sure UCF should get in. Their conference hasn’t done well in bowls, but will see if they can stay with Auburn.

UCF/Auburn could be interesting. The only other time UCF played in one of the big bowls, they pulled off the biggest upset* ever in a BCS bowl by beating no. 6 Baylor, who was 11-1 at the time, in the 2014 Fiesta bowl. Made Blake Bortles a rich man.

*or maybe the pollsters just can't figure out how to properly rank UCF?

Wander
12-31-2017, 01:05 PM
My apologies if this has been covered before...I agree with the urge to have an 8-Team Playoff, but I'm not sure it's physically possible anymore.

Already, teams are playing a 12 game schedule. If you add a conference Title Game, that makes 13. With an 8-Team Playoff, the teams that make the final game are up to 16. Now, you're talking pro ball.

I'd love to see a solution to the issue at hand, but it seems like a big problem...unless of course we just give up on the concept of amateur athletics.

The top teams in the lower divisions of college football already play 15 or 16 games. Even the 2 out of ~130 teams that would play 16 games would still play less weeks (not just games, weeks) than college basketball teams that make it far into the postseason.

I do think the playoffs should start the week after the conference championship games, or at most one week after that, so maybe that would make you feel better about the season not dragging on into mid-January.

SoCalDukeFan
12-31-2017, 01:09 PM
My apologies if this has been covered before...I agree with the urge to have an 8-Team Playoff, but I'm not sure it's physically possible anymore.

I don't want an 8 team playoff for several reason including academics, further devaluing of the regular season and other bowl games, etc.

What I would want to see is a system that adds meaning to the regular season in determining the 4 teams. The Power 5 conferences should all play 9 conference games, only 1 non-conference game against a non-Power 5 team. and at least 5 true road games. And the 4 teams in the playoffs must have won their conference or be independent with a fantastic record.

Nick Saban has said he wants 10 conference games and the non-conference games must be Power 5. While I like that I think its a little extreme and the money games are good for some schools. As long as we have the current system, Saban is free to game it to his advantage. They play an attractive game to start the season but if they can against a team with a new QB. It also helps that Alabama is usually so deep they are generally not rebuilding. The first game is at a neutral site and is non-conference. They play 8 conference games, 4 home 4 away. While the SEC is strong, it does have weak teams so not all 8 of these are tough.. The other 3 games are against non-power 5 teams and are at home. I like he why he games the system but hate it that he got rewarded by a berth int he play-offs within winning his conference. Road conference games are usually the easiest ones to lose he only ever plays 4.

SoCal

budwom
12-31-2017, 01:17 PM
^ with requirements that stringent (only one non power five opponent for example, and five true road games) Duke would be hard pressed to get to bowls in quite a few years.
I think you'd find Cutcliffe and White very much opposed to your requirements.

SoCalDukeFan
12-31-2017, 01:49 PM
^ with requirements that stringent (only one non power five opponent for example, and five true road games) Duke would be hard pressed to get to bowls in quite a few years.
I think you'd find Cutcliffe and White very much opposed to your requirements.

maybe the bowl requirement gets lowered. My problem is with the top of the food chain, not the middle. I would like to see the teams earn their way to the playoffs.

SoCal

devildeac
12-31-2017, 02:50 PM
Honesty time: How many were sad to any degree with miami's loss to Wisconsin last PM?

;)

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Honesty time: How many were sad to any degree with miami's loss to Wisconsin last PM?

;)

I like Mark Richt and was pull8ng for them. Bobby Petrino and Louisville, on the other hand . . . .

sagegrouse
12-31-2017, 03:09 PM

;)

I was pulling for Miami. I don't have a lot of use for the Big Ten, and I tend to support the ACC.

PackMan97
12-31-2017, 04:26 PM

;)

I value the academic reputation that Miami brings to the conference. I am sad they lost.

budwom
12-31-2017, 04:42 PM
maybe the bowl requirement gets lowered. My problem is with the top of the food chain, not the middle. I would like to see the teams earn their way to the playoffs.

SoCal

I can see setting up stiffer requirements who those who aspire to get into the playoffs, but I wouldn't want to see the rest of the pea patch disrupted...it's tough enough as it is for Duke to get into
bowls (I know, we've gone four out of five years, but two years we've slid in with six wins, and another year we won vs three non P5 opponents).

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 04:48 PM
I’m fine with a four team playoff. Would rather argue about who got left out at #5 than the old system where you argued about who got left out at #3, or the older system where the two top teams may not even play due to bowl conference tie-ins like the Rose Bowl.

Four teams means that every regular season game matters. As Cut said at some point, every week is a college playoff game.

Wander
12-31-2017, 05:19 PM
As Cut said at some point, every week is a college playoff game.

As I know you know, Cut's statement is so obviously and demonstrably wrong that it's barely worth arguing the point.

A "playoff game" means you win and you stay alive for a national championship, you lose and you're out. Neither part of that statement is true in college football's regular season.

OldPhiKap
12-31-2017, 08:00 PM
As I know you know, Cut's statement is so obviously and demonstrably wrong that it's barely worth arguing the point.

A "playoff game" means you win and you stay alive for a national championship, you lose and you're out. Neither part of that statement is true in college football's regular season.

I don’t think he meant it that literally. I understood his point to be that, unlike college basketball, every game has a huge impact on whether you are in the national championship hunt or not. tOSU fails to show up for a game against Iowa, and {bam} they are out of the picture. Playoffs lessen the importance of the regular season.

luvdahops
12-31-2017, 08:19 PM

Yeah, Ohio State not making the playoff resulted in more favorable matchups for the Big 10, as every other team was basically moved down one slot in their bowl lineup. Historically, especially pre-playoff, they often had arguably the opposite problem - ie pretty much always getting 2 spots in BCS games due to fan base size (for ticket and TV purposes), and everyone “slotting up” as a result.

And yes, not having a couple more 6-6 teams sneak in was certainly beneficial, too.

Avvocato
01-01-2018, 09:19 AM
Yeah, Ohio State not making the playoff resulted in more favorable matchups for the Big 10, as every other team was basically moved down one slot in their bowl lineup. Historically, especially pre-playoff, they often had arguably the opposite problem - ie pretty much always getting 2 spots in BCS games due to fan base size (for ticket and TV purposes), and everyone “slotting up” as a result.

And yes, not having a couple more 6-6 teams sneak in was certainly beneficial, too.

We can say that, but that may not be entirely accurate. Wisconsin lost the Big Ten Championship and played Miami, the ACC runner-up, in Miami. Ohio State, the Big Ten Champion, played USC, the PAC 12 Champion. Despite not making the playoff, the Big Ten still slotted against other similar "slotted" teams from Power 5 conferences. Sometimes, these things just work out this way. Sometimes, you just tip your hat. The Big Ten won their close bowl games and just represented well. Let's not make too much of it. Rooting for Clemson today to represent the ACC well and to hopefully see Alabama go down again. The Big Ten can enjoy watching the game as well.

JasonEvans
01-01-2018, 02:42 PM
Halftime of the Peach Bowl and Central Florida leads Auburn 13-6.

If CF holds on, or perhaps wins by a decent margin (against a team that beat (soundly) both UGA and Alabama), does it de-legitimize the national championships in some small way? Does it argue for a new system that does not leave unbeaten teams out? Or, does it really not matter at all?

Worth noting -- Central Florida really was not challenged all that much all season long. They only had 3 games decided by 1 possession (they won each of them by 7) and they had double digit wins against legit teams like Memphis, Navy, and South Florida. They had a game against Ga Tech cancelled due to hurricane, which would have been a good one to see what they could do against a P5 team. They also played Maryland, a fairly weak B10 team, and won in a laugher 38-10.

-Jason "just something to distract us ahead of the playoffs in 3 hours" Evans

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 02:48 PM

If CF holds on, or perhaps wins by a decent margin (against a team that beat (soundly) both UGA and Alabama), does it de-legitimize the national championships in some small way? Does it argue for a new system that does not leave unbeaten teams out? Or, does it really not matter at all?

Worth noting -- Central Florida really was not challenged all that much all season long. They only had 3 games decided by 1 possession (they won each of them by 7) and they had double digit wins against legit teams like Memphis, Navy, and South Florida. They had a game against Ga Tech cancelled due to hurricane, which would have been a good one to see what they could do against a P5 team. They also played Maryland, a fairly weak B10 team, and won in a laugher 38-10.

SEC not starting the day strong, Michigan is handling USCar too.

richardjackson199
01-01-2018, 02:49 PM

I think it does. I believe it argues for 8 team playoff which would solve that issue. It sounds like that won't happen any time soon.

But if Central Florida beats Auburn, we'll never know if Central Florida could have been the true national champion. I'm certainly not saying they should have been included in 4 team playoff. But maybe they're the best overall team, and it's too bad they'll never get a chance to answer that question on the field.

Something like this has happened before when Auburn went undefeated and couldn't play in 2 team national championship game. I think this is first time it's happened with 4 team playoff system.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 02:50 PM

SCar just rattled off quick points to cut it to three.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 02:55 PM
SCar just rattled off quick points to cut it to three.

*reverse jinx activated*

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 03:03 PM
*reverse jinx activated*

Can you jinx/reverse evenly matched bowl games?

UM/South Carolina already gave me one of the most amazing defensive college footbal plays in modern history a few years ago. This game has been fun too.

JasonEvans
01-01-2018, 03:06 PM

Well, that didn't take long. A 70+ yard kickoff return leading to a TD and then an 80+ yard TD drive have Auburn up by a touchdown midway through the third.

luvdahops
01-01-2018, 03:09 PM
We can say that, but that may not be entirely accurate. Wisconsin lost the Big Ten Championship and played Miami, the ACC runner-up, in Miami. Ohio State, the Big Ten Champion, played USC, the PAC 12 Champion. Despite not making the playoff, the Big Ten still slotted against other similar "slotted" teams from Power 5 conferences. Sometimes, these things just work out this way. Sometimes, you just tip your hat. The Big Ten won their close bowl games and just represented well. Let's not make too much of it. Rooting for Clemson today to represent the ACC well and to hopefully see Alabama go down again. The Big Ten can enjoy watching the game as well.

Don’t get me wrong - I think the Big 10 was very good this year, especially the East Division. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State were all legitimate Top 10 teams, Michigan State took a step back to prominence after a down year in 2016, and Michigan has a premier defense that enables them to hang with most any opponent.

But if Ohio State had made the playoff, they would be facing Clemson (tougher opponent than USC), leaving Wisconsin to play either SC or Alabama, and Penn State to likely play the other or Miami, rather than U-Dub. Those are all less favorable matchups in my view, and what I was to trying convey in terms of this year’s “slotting”.

peloton
01-01-2018, 03:10 PM
Our older son's alma mater just took the lead on a nice pass - Gamecocks up by 4!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 03:13 PM
Don’t get me wrong - I think the Big 10 was very good this year, especially the East Division. Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State were all legitimate Top 10 teams, Michigan State took a step back to prominence after a down year in 2016, and Michigan has a premier defense that enables them to hang with most any opponent.

But if Ohio State had made the playoff, they would be facing Clemson (tougher opponent than USC), leaving Wisconsin to play either SC or Alabama, and Penn State to likely play the other or Miami, rather than U-Dub. Those are all less favorable matchups in my view, and what I was to trying convey in terms of this year’s “slotting”.

Yeah, bowls aren't really useful in comparing conferences these days thanks to the top for heading to the playoff. You end up comparing apples to kumquats.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Admittedly rooting for UCF just to mock the process.

BandAlum83
01-01-2018, 04:05 PM

Is it just me rooting for a "black Monday" where every SEC team loses?

BandAlum83
01-01-2018, 04:07 PM
Admittedly rooting for UCF just to mock the process.

I thought the system was created to give undefeateds an opportunity to prove their worth. UCF should be in and Alabam should have been out, IMO

Devilwin
01-01-2018, 04:07 PM
UCF just got a pick 6, now up two touchdowns...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 04:21 PM
I thought the system was created to give undefeateds an opportunity to prove their worth. UCF should be in and Alabam should have been out, IMO

I think that's a tough call to make with four teams. But all the better reason for eight.

Wander
01-01-2018, 04:36 PM
Congratulations to our 2017 college football national champions, the UCF Knights.

richardjackson199
01-01-2018, 04:46 PM
Congratulations to our 2017 college football national champions, the UCF Knights.

They're the only undefeated team in FBS. I also saw on ESPN they are the biggest underdog (+10.5 points) to win a bowl game this season.

TampaDuke
01-01-2018, 05:41 PM

Of note, of UCF's 12 wins, 8 were against bowl teams. USF and Memphis lost a total of 5 games between them, but three were to UCF (and the other two were a 1-pt loss by Memphis in their bowl game and a last second loss by USF to Houston on a fluke). So, while I agree that UCF's schedule was such that their resume didn't match up with the playoff teams, it's not like they feasted on cupcakes all year. I agree with Jason that the Georgia Tech game that was canceled due to the hurricane would have given us a lot more insight.

A couple of other notes -- except for UGA's 28 points, UCF's 27 offensive points against Auburn were more than any other team (including Alabama and Clemson) this year.

Non-P5 teams are now 3-1 in the New Year's six games since the college playoff started in 2014. Maybe this win by UCF today (and UCF's Fiesta bowl win in 2013), together with Boise's Fiesta Bowl win in 2014, Houston's Peach Bowl win in 2015 and W.Mich's good Cotton Bowl showing last year, will help expand the playoffs to at least 8 teams. Otherwise, the top P5 teams just aren't going to schedule UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, etc., except maybe once in a blue moon. After their 2000 game, I doubt you'll see Alabama scheduling UCF. And why would they? It's safer to open your season with USC or FSU, where a loss doesn't doom your chances, than one of the top G6 teams.

JasonEvans
01-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Question - will Ga and Oklahoma score more points than BC and Virginia did on Saturday (59-58, Virginia)?

JasonEvans
01-01-2018, 07:25 PM
I think GA should refuse to punt and onside kick every time... it is not like giving Baker Mayfield the ball at his own 20 or at mid-field has made any difference in how the possession ends... Oklahoma is chewing up yards at a crazy pace.

YmoBeThere
01-01-2018, 07:40 PM
I think GA should refuse to punt and onside kick every time... it is not like giving Baker Mayfield the ball at his own 20 or at mid-field has made any difference in how the possession ends... Oklahoma is chewing up yards at a crazy pace.

They stopped them for a couple 3 and outs.

moonpie23
01-01-2018, 08:01 PM
dawgs are off the porch now...

JasonEvans
01-01-2018, 08:08 PM
They stopped them for a couple 3 and outs.

Yeah, I win the stat jinx award of the night! Since my post, OK has done nothing.

George’s two star running backs have 280 yards rushing on 15 carries. Is that any good?

kshepinthehouse
01-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Did anyone see LSU’s shenanigans today? They lost me $900 in my confidence pool.

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 08:31 PM
Wow, OK defense scoop!

dukelifer
01-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Heck of a game

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
Great game. Rooting for overtime.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-01-2018, 08:58 PM
Great game. Rooting for overtime.

I win!

OldPhiKap
01-01-2018, 09:08 PM
Hope you rooted for double

richardjackson199
01-01-2018, 09:10 PM
Question - will Ga and Oklahoma score more points than BC and Virginia did on Saturday (59-58, Virginia)?

They might get close

dukelifer
01-01-2018, 09:19 PM
A great college football game

Wander
01-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Are we going to get a game next week between two teams Auburn beat? That would make a really nice third place game to decide who gets ranked behind UCF and Auburn.

pfrduke
01-01-2018, 09:30 PM
Are we going to get a game next week between two teams Auburn beat? That would make a really nice third place game to decide who gets ranked behind UCF and Auburn.

It’ll either be two teams Auburn beat or two teams that beat Auburn.

ipatent
01-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Where are the fans who didn't think Alabama deserved to be in?

elvis14
01-01-2018, 11:30 PM

Note that even if Alabama wins this game, it doesn't change their previous record. I'd say that UCF let us all know who should have been in today.

Clemson simply can't win a natty with as tall skinny RB playing QB.

Devil549
01-02-2018, 12:16 AM
Would like to see 8 team playoff but will not see it until the Power 5 conferences approve and if they can make more $$$$$.

My 8 team playoff system:
Champions from ACC, American, SEC, B12, B10, PAC 12 then 2 at large chosen by a committee of former coaches who just pick 2 best remaining teams and seed playoffs.

Alabama beats UGA and wins another NC.

elvis14
01-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Would like to see 8 team playoff but will not see it until the Power 5 conferences approve and if they can make more $$$$$.

Champions from ACC, American, SEC, B12, B10, PAC 12 then 2 at large chosen by a committee of former coaches who just pick 2 best remaining teams and seed playoffs.

You're close. The P5 get spots and there are 3 at large.

I'm a Clemson grad so I'm pretty bummed right now. Also, I wanted to see the Sooners beat UGa. With the 2 teams in the Natty, I won't even be watching.

ice-9
01-02-2018, 12:33 AM

Not a fan of any school but Duke (and Stanford), but I was one of those who thought Ohio State should’ve been in instead of Alabama. Even with this past week’s results, I don’t think the right choice is obvious. And what about UCF?

All in all why college football is what it is. A warmup for college basketball. For me.

YmoBeThere
01-02-2018, 06:36 AM

In the state of Ohio.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-02-2018, 07:48 AM

How do you figure the American gets an auto-bid?

In general, I agree. The playoff will extend when it makes more money. I just can't quite imagine how adding four more games to the playoff wouldn't make massive piles of money for everyone involved. But, the absence of the extra four teams clearly shows it to be true.

Wander
01-02-2018, 08:54 AM

I didn't have a huge problem with Alabama getting in, but it doesn't make sense to use future results to evaluate the selection. And even if it did, it's not like Ohio State did anything to hurt their case.

At any rate, Alabama will make a fine runner-up to UCF.

richardjackson199
01-03-2018, 06:47 PM

Well they're actually claiming a national championship at UCF and hanging a banner. Their celebration is complete with a parade at Disney World. I love it! :cool:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21951014/ucf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner

rasputin
01-03-2018, 06:49 PM
Well they're actually claiming a national championship at UCF and hanging a banner. I love it! :cool:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21951014/ucf-knights-raise-national-championship-banner

I think they should claim one from the 1920's from a bakery too.

AtlDuke72
01-03-2018, 08:31 PM
Not a fan of any school but Duke (and Stanford), but I was one of those who thought Ohio State should’ve been in instead of Alabama. Even with this past week’s results, I don’t think the right choice is obvious. And what about UCF?

All in all why college football is what it is. A warmup for college basketball. For me.

Ohio State did get clobbered by Oklahoma at home. Also lost by 31 ((giving up 55 points) to Iowa. Hard to argue that they deserved to be there. UCF would have been a double digit underdog to any of the 4 teams in the playoffs. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Wander
01-03-2018, 08:39 PM
Well they're actually claiming a national championship at UCF and hanging a banner. Their celebration is complete with a parade at Disney World. I love it! :cool:

Haha, I was half-joking with my posts, but this is a hilarious and awesome troll job by UCF. Good for them. My favorite thing to happen to college football in years.

TampaDuke
01-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Ohio State did get clobbered by Oklahoma at home. Also lost by 31 ((giving up 55 points) to Iowa. Hard to argue that they deserved to be there. UCF would have been a double digit underdog to any of the 4 teams in the playoffs. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Well, UCF was a double digit underdog to Auburn as well.

After week 13, when Wisconsin was still undefeated and ranked fourth by the committee, I'm curious what's the argument that their schedule at that time qualified them to be ranked fourth while an undefeated UCF, with a comparable schedule at the time, was only ranked 14th behind a three-loss team and numerous two-loss teams?

Reilly
01-04-2018, 12:19 AM
... After week 13, when Wisconsin was still undefeated and ranked fourth by the committee, I'm curious what's the argument that their schedule at that time qualified them to be ranked fourth while an undefeated UCF, with a comparable schedule at the time, was only ranked 14th behind a three-loss team and numerous two-loss teams?

Defense, maybe? Wisconsin now ranked #2 in SRS and UCF #10, and the difference seems to be mostly attributable to D. Gurssing the same was true after week 13.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

OldPhiKap
01-04-2018, 07:19 AM

After week 13, when Wisconsin was still undefeated and ranked fourth by the committee, I'm curious what's the argument that their schedule at that time qualified them to be ranked fourth while an undefeated UCF, with a comparable schedule at the time, was only ranked 14th behind a three-loss team and numerous two-loss teams?

Because the playoffs were designed for, and controlled by, the P5?

TampaDuke
01-04-2018, 08:49 AM
Defense, maybe? Wisconsin now ranked #2 in SRS and UCF #10, and the difference seems to be mostly attributable to D. Gurssing the same was true after week 13.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

Well, UCF plays a high-paced offensive game with lots of game possessions for both teams, so you'd expect their SRS defense number to be lower than a slow-paced offense (as I understand it, SRS defense measures how many points you give up over what the opponent would be expected to average given their schedule strength). If we look at both offense and defense, UW's margin of victory was 24 and UCF's was 22.9. It seems to me that the SRS difference is mostly attributable to the quality of UCF's opponent's schedules, but UCF's schedule is actually quite comparable to UW's as of week 13.

Looking at UCF's schedule after week 13 vis-à-vis Wisconsin's schedule, UW's best wins were against Michigan and Iowa. Were those quality wins really that much more impressive (worth 10 rankings spots) as UCF's wins against an otherwise undefeated Memphis team and a one-loss USF team? UW and UCF did play one common opponent this year -- a bad Maryland team -- with similar outcomes. Wisconsin beat Maryland 38-13 in Madison, and UCF beat Maryland 38-10 in College Park.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not contending that Wisconsin shouldn't have been ranked high. I'm only arguing for consistency without a P5 bias. To that end, if the week 13 SRS rankings (http://www.footballperspective.com/week-thirteen2017-college-football-srs-ratings-the-big-10-has-the-best-3-teams/)explain why Wisconsin was properly ranked 4th, then why did Clemson, Auburn, and Oklahoma get a pass and Penn State and Ohio State get left out? Penn State's SRS was higher than Wisconsin's, yet they were ranked 9th by the Committee that week. Guess whose defensive SRS numbers were lower than UCF's? Oklahoma.

TampaDuke
01-04-2018, 08:56 AM

Yep.

dudog84
01-04-2018, 09:14 AM

It's called gerrymandering in politics. I've got a name for it in college football (politics as well), but it's not appropriate for the polite audience of the DBR.

sagegrouse
01-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Here's some history, and -- no -- I don't have an answer.

Well, for much of my life, the "college football champion" was declared by either the polls or, during the period when the polls stopped in early December, just by the press or the schools themselves. The AP did not start an annual post-bowl game poll until 1968 (the poll began in 1936 and stopped after the regular season, except for 1965). Unsatisfying still, since the best teams didn't necessarily play each other, but better than having the final poll before the bowl games.

Then, 25 years ago things began to change. After two seasons of "split champions" the colleges and bowl games created a series of structures designed to determine a single national football champion:

Bowl Coalition (1992–94)
Bowl Alliance (1995–97)
BCS National Championship Game (1998–2013)
College Football Playoff National Championship (2014 to present)

The Bowl Coalition and the Bowl Alliance tried to lineup the New Year's bowl games so that a #1 and #2 could play. It was better than before.
The BCS National Championship Game added a championship game after the regular bowl games. That was also better than the two previous systems.
Four years ago the four-team playoff was established, logically making the semis regular New Year's Day bowl games, and advancing the winners to a championship. A blue ribbon committee was created to weigh all the factors, pick four teams, and seed them. Some PR genius (I mean it) figured out that interim rankings would build interest and prepare the way for the final choices. The National College Football Championship is a better system than before.

I am comfortable with the current system, although we can all question why a team (Alabama) that couldn't win its division, gets a pass to the national semis and may well win. The committee is empowered to make subjective judgments of the teams. Moreover, an undefeated team from a truly lesser conference will always be a problem. Sure, UCF beat Auburn, but I wonder about Auburn's motivation in the game.

If we add a round, I suppose the "major bowls" can host the quarters and there would be three games thereafter, making the championship January 15 or so. The expanded playoff could accommodate all the P5 champs plus allow at least one team from outside "the club" like UCF. But here would a whole lot of teams competing for the last few spots, rather than the one or two that arguably be team #4.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Here's some history, and -- no -- I don't have an answer.

Well, for much of my life, the "college football champion" was declared by either the polls or, during the period when the polls stopped in early December, just by the press or the schools themselves. The AP did not start an annual post-bowl game poll until 1968 (the poll began in 1936 and stopped after the regular season, except for 1965). Unsatisfying still, since the best teams didn't necessarily play each other, but better than having the final poll before the bowl games.

Then, 25 years ago things began to change. After two seasons of "split champions" the colleges and bowl games created a series of structures designed to determine a single national football champion:

Bowl Coalition (1992–94)
Bowl Alliance (1995–97)
BCS National Championship Game (1998–2013)
College Football Playoff National Championship (2014 to present)

The Bowl Coalition and the Bowl Alliance tried to lineup the New Year's bowl games so that a #1 and #2 could play. It was better than before.
The BCS National Championship Game added a championship game after the regular bowl games. That was also better than the two previous systems.
Four years ago the four-team playoff was established, logically making the semis regular New Year's Day bowl games, and advancing the winners to a championship. A blue ribbon committee was created to weigh all the factors, pick four teams, and seed them. Some PR genius (I mean it) figured out that interim rankings would build interest and prepare the way for the final choices. The National College Football Championship is a better system than before.

I am comfortable with the current system, although we can all question why a team (Alabama) that couldn't win its division, gets a pass to the national semis and may well win. The committee is empowered to make subjective judgments of the teams. Moreover, an undefeated team from a truly lesser conference will always be a problem. Sure, UCF beat Auburn, but I wonder about Auburn's motivation in the game.

If we add a round, I suppose the "major bowls" can host the quarters and there would be three games thereafter, making the championship January 15 or so. The expanded playoff could accommodate all the P5 champs plus allow at least one team from outside "the club" like UCF. But here would a whole lot of teams competing for the last few spots, rather than the one or two that arguably be team #4.

Excellent summary.

I'm fine with the 4-team playoff personally. In the old system, you did not always have the #1 and #2 teams even play each other in a bowl due to conference tie-ins (Rose Bowl for example). There will always be an argument about who got left out; I would rather it be at #5 than choosing a mythical "champion" between two teams that likely did not play each other (or, arguing over who was #3 but should have gotten their shot).

Small conferences have this problem in every sport. In March, Jay Bilas will be yelling about how some 16 win P5 team got in to March Madness while a mid-major with a better record got left out. And whether he is right or wrong will be a matter of honest debate. I don't think it can be avoided.

Eight-team playoffs seem like a lot. It has been a great football season, it's time for it to conclude. There are already too many bowl games (and yes, I know we benefited from that this year).

I feel for UCF, and not so much for tOSU. But I think 'Bama proved that they were a worthy fourth pick. We can debate about whether they were the best fourth pick or not, but I don't think there is any question that they are worthy. Heck, Alabama opened as a four-point favorite over UGA.

TampaDuke
01-04-2018, 10:10 AM
. . . I am comfortable with the current system, although we can all question why a team (Alabama) that couldn't win its division, gets a pass to the national semis and may well win. The committee is empowered to make subjective judgments of the teams. Moreover, an undefeated team from a truly lesser conference will always be a problem. Sure, UCF beat Auburn, but I wonder about Auburn's motivation in the game.

Possibly, but it bears repeating that, in the New Year's six bowls since 2013, the G6 teams are 4-1, with the only loss being last year's 24-16 loss by Western Michigan to Wisconsin. Maybe Auburn wasn't motivated, but UCF could just as easily say that it was also distracted by its entire coaching staff having a foot out the door.

. . . I'm fine with the 4-team playoff personally. In the old system, you did not always have the #1 and #2 teams even play each other in a bowl due to conference tie-ins (Rose Bowl for example). There will always be an argument about who got left out; I would rather it be at #5 than choosing a mythical "champion" between two teams that likely did not play each other (or, arguing over who was #3 but should have gotten their shot). . . .

I feel for UCF, and not so much for tOSU. But I think 'Bama proved that they were a worthy fourth pick. We can debate about whether they were the best fourth pick or not, but I don't think there is any question that they are worthy. Heck, Alabama opened as a four-point favorite over UGA.

Even if four teams are acceptable (personally, I think 8 would solve most of these debates), UCF and other Group of 5 schools have no shot and are still being systematically rated too low based on criteria that doesn't appear to apply to the P5 schools. It's not so much that UCF wasn't a top-4 playoff team, but that they were ranked 14th by the committee.

That said, UCF claiming a national championship is absurd (not quite Helm's title absurd, but not far off).

Avvocato
01-04-2018, 11:22 AM
That said, UCF claiming a national championship is absurd (not quite Helm's title absurd, but not far off).

I couldn't agree more. I am sympathetic to the plight of the non-Power 5 teams, because they have virtually no way getting into the playoff (though just being undefeated doesn't mean they should be in - and I am not convinced UCF should have been in this year). However, you can't just claim a national championship, because you feel like it. Should the 1995 Penn St. team hang a banner? How about 2006 Boise State? There were split championships in the past, because the polls had different teams as their final #1 team. While I feel their frustration, and they should be proud of their season, I have soured on their whining, personally (and I was rooting for them against Auburn).

As for whether the current system or an 8-team playoff is better, that's a valid debate. However, I bet that if we had an 8-team playoff, UCF still may not have made it. USC and Ohio State likely would have taken the two of those spots. I could see UCF getting the 8th spot, but it's no guaranty. Penn State also would draw consideration. Lots of good teams would get left out of either system. Plus, I don't think in any of the prior systems would UCF had made the championship game, including the BCS. Again, I'm sympathetic to the non-Power 5 schools that want a chance, but UCF also got to play a Power 5 team in a New Years Day bowl game. That is huge for them, and congratulations to them for making the most of it.

OK. Now time for me to go declare myself champion of something. Just not sure what that might be yet.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2018, 12:00 PM
OK. Now time for me to go declare myself champion of something. Just not sure what that might be yet.

Master of your own domain?

Reilly
01-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Looking at UCF's schedule after week 13 vis-à-vis Wisconsin's schedule, UW's best wins were against Michigan and Iowa. Were those quality wins really that much more impressive (worth 10 rankings spots) as UCF's wins against an otherwise undefeated Memphis team and a one-loss USF team? UW and UCF did play one common opponent this year -- a bad Maryland team -- with similar outcomes. Wisconsin beat Maryland 38-13 in Madison, and UCF beat Maryland 38-10 in College Park.

Wisconsin against current SRS top 50

+28 @Indiana (#45)
+24 Iowa (#14)
+17 FAU (#34)
+14 Michigan (#16)
+10 Miami (#12)
+09 NU (#23)
+08 Purdue (#27)
------------------------
-06 Ohio State (#3)

UCF against current SRS top 50

+27 Memphis (#31)
+07 SFL (#36)
+07 Memphis (#31)
+07 Auburn (#9)

Wander
01-04-2018, 01:52 PM
I couldn't agree more. I am sympathetic to the plight of the non-Power 5 teams, because they have virtually no way getting into the playoff (though just being undefeated doesn't mean they should be in - and I am not convinced UCF should have been in this year). However, you can't just claim a national championship, because you feel like it. Should the 1995 Penn St. team hang a banner? How about 2006 Boise State? There were split championships in the past, because the polls had different teams as their final #1 team. While I feel their frustration, and they should be proud of their season, I have soured on their whining, personally (and I was rooting for them against Auburn).

So the system is unfair, but UCF has to shut up and is not allowed to do anything about it? UCF's response, aside from being hilarious, is an effective way of calling attention to the absurdities of the system.

As for whether the current system or an 8-team playoff is better, that's a valid debate. However, I bet that if we had an 8-team playoff, UCF still may not have made it. USC and Ohio State likely would have taken the two of those spots. I could see UCF getting the 8th spot, but it's no guaranty.

I assume an 8-team playoff would have a stipulation that 5 spots automatically go to the champions of the power 5 conferences, and a 6th spot automatically goes to a smaller conference champion. Otherwise, I agree with you that UCF wouldn't get in.

JasonEvans
01-04-2018, 01:58 PM
I assume an 8-team playoff would have a stipulation that 5 spots automatically go to the champions of the power 5 conferences, and a 6th spot automatically goes to a smaller conference champion. Otherwise, I agree with you that UCF wouldn't get in.

I kinda like the mid-major schools automatically getting a 6th spot in an 8 team playoff as, in many years, it would give the team that earns the #1 seed in the whole thing a somewhat easier game... a fitting reward for being the best team in the regular season.

-Jason "Sadly, I doubt any of this happens for a loooong time" Evans

TampaDuke
01-04-2018, 02:26 PM
Wisconsin against current SRS top 50

+28 @Indiana (#45)
+24 Iowa (#14)
+17 FAU (#34)
+14 Michigan (#16)
+10 Miami (#12)
+09 NU (#23)
+08 Purdue (#27)
------------------------
-06 Ohio State (#3)

UCF against current SRS top 50

+27 Memphis (#31)
+07 SFL (#36)
+07 Memphis (#31)
+07 Auburn (#9)

Yep, SRS explains one reason why UCF might have been viewed as in a lower tier by the Playoff Committee. That wouldn't explain why Penn State was not viewed by the Committee as deserving of a playoff spot, though, since they ranked higher than Wisconsin in SRS despite their losses. I'm only arguing for consistent criteria applied to both P5 and G6.

UCF's penalty was that it's opponent's schedules (Memphis and South Florida for example) were rated lower. At the time of the committee's playoff rankings, Memphis had only lost to UCF and USF had only lost one other game on a last second fluke, yet the SRS has those teams rated in the 30s, while Wisconsin had the benefit of playing teams like Iowa, Michigan, MSU, and Northwestern in their conference, all of whom had higher SRS apparently because their conference has more competition in the middle/bottom and they generally beat up on each other in more of an equitable fashion.

Aside from the inconsistent criteria issue, can you really say that 8-5 Iowa (SRS 14) was really that much better a team than 10-3 Memphis (SRS 31) or 10-2 So. Fla. (SRS 36) (particularly when 3 of their combined five losses were to UCF)? At what point is an opponent's SOS overvalued?

Avvocato
01-04-2018, 05:59 PM
So the system is unfair, but UCF has to shut up and is not allowed to do anything about it? UCF's response, aside from being hilarious, is an effective way of calling attention to the absurdities of the system.

I didn't say they have to shut up about it, or that they have to be happy about it. However, in my own opinion, I think their response is idiotic. For me, personally, I roll my eyes at them now and actually am now ignoring them. For others, it's effective, I guess. I agree that it is calling attention to the issue. However, they didn't need this stupidity to do it. Again, just my opinion.

vick
01-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Not that it matters in this case, but I would guess the sixth slot would only be reserved for an undefeated smaller conference team.

sagegrouse
01-04-2018, 06:15 PM
The college football playoff today does not really compete with the NFL and the NFL playoffs. The playoff semis are the last week of the regular NFL season, or held on New Year's Day (or both). The final -- a single game-- occurs after the "wild card weekend." Adding four more teams and a week to the playoffs could put the colleges and the NFL in direct competition. If the quarter-finals are on New Year's Day, then the semis would be on the weekend seven to 13 days later, and the finals the following weekend, putting the college playoffs opposite the division playoffs and the conference championships. I think the colleges and networks would like to avoid such an overlap. Remember that March Madness is during a lull in the sports season, after the NFL and before the NBA (and NHL) playoffs begin.

Of course, any such objections (which may be only in my mind) could be alleviated by starting the college playoffs a week earlier, but that would mean Christmas Day -- or the weekend before. Earlier dates likely pose other problems with colleges and schedules.

Wander
01-04-2018, 06:43 PM
I kinda like the mid-major schools automatically getting a 6th spot in an 8 team playoff as, in many years, it would give the team that earns the #1 seed in the whole thing a somewhat easier game... a fitting reward for being the best team in the regular season.

-Jason "Sadly, I doubt any of this happens for a loooong time" Evans

In my perfect world, the #1 seed would gain an even bigger reward by having home field advantage. IMO, college football is the sport with (on average) the best atmospheres around games in the regular season and the worst atmospheres around games in the postseason. How awesome would it be to have playoff games in Clemson or Tuscaloosa? Go the NFL route and have only the title game at a neutral site. Just do away with bowls entirely.

- Wan "I know, file this under things that will never happen" der

DU82
01-04-2018, 06:46 PM
The college football playoff today does not really compete with the NFL and the NFL playoffs. The playoff semis are the last week of the regular NFL season, or held on New Year's Day (or both). The final -- a single game-- occurs after the "wild card weekend." Adding four more teams and a week to the playoffs could put the colleges and the NFL in direct competition. If the quarter-finals are on New Year's Day, then the semis would be on the weekend seven to 13 days later, and the finals the following weekend, putting the college playoffs opposite the division playoffs and the conference championships. I think the colleges and networks would like to avoid such an overlap. Remember that March Madness is during a lull in the sports season, after the NFL and before the NBA (and NHL) playoffs begin.

Of course, any such objections (which may be only in my mind) could be alleviated by starting the college playoffs a week earlier, but that would mean Christmas Day -- or the weekend before. Earlier dates likely pose other problems with colleges and schedules.

Put the quarters the week after the conference games (same day as Army-Navy), and the rest of the schedule stays the same as now. That date should avoid most school's exam period.

OldPhiKap
01-04-2018, 07:03 PM

You could keep the schedule as-is, then play the championship on Superbowl Saturday. What a great weekend of football.

But like I said, I’d stick with the four teams.

-bdbd
01-04-2018, 07:15 PM

I like eight teams for the NCAAF championship playoffs. It seems to me that the weekend before Christmas would likely work since school is out by then for colleges, and four games on a Fri. night/Sat. in mid-late Dec. shouldn't have many conflicts. Then the semi's around New Years Day, and the Championship around Jan. 7-10. There's money to be made, so you'd think the NCAA would be salivating all over it!

I just like it b/c I can't recall any year where more than eight teams had claims to the championship. This year could have been maybe six at most. Yes, there'll always be arguments about the last team to get in or omitted, but none of the legit NC candidates could gripe (unlike this year with OSU or, chuckle, UCF). :cool:

Reilly
01-04-2018, 07:49 PM
... I'm only arguing for consistent criteria ...

I'm with you -- I believe consistent, objective criteria would be terrific. I'd be OK if we let the SRS pick the four cfb playoff teams, or pick the at-large ncaa hoops tourney teams. You could devise systems all sorts of objective ways.

Personally, I like conference champions. So, I'd take all conference champions, rank them by SRS, then take the top 4 for a playoff.

ice-9
01-05-2018, 08:32 AM

As made abundantly clear from this thread alone, there is no obvious consensus.

No denying Alabama looks good.

But seeing the Big 10’s bowl record calls into question whether at least one Big 10 team should’ve been represented.

And UCF. Beat Auburn and undefeated. Yet shut out?

Sorry, it’s not obvious to me at all. The current system does not make anything obvious other than its fundamental flaw.

sagegrouse
01-05-2018, 08:58 AM

No denying Alabama looks good.

But seeing the Big 10’s bowl record calls into question whether at least one Big 10 team should’ve been represented.

And UCF. Beat Auburn and undefeated. Yet shut out?

Sorry, it’s not obvious to me at all. The current system does not make anything obvious other than its fundamental flaw.

You might define what you mean by "fundamental flaw."

Here is the UCF schedule for 2017:

61-7 FIU
38-10 @Maryland
40-13 Memphis
51-23 @Cinc.
63-21 East Carolina
31-21 @ Navy
73-33 Austin Peay
31-24 @SMU
49-24 UConn
45-19 @Temple
49-22 So. Florida
62-55 Memphis
34-27 Auburn

Only Power Five game was against Big Ten weakling Maryland. As a result, I suppose, UCF ended by #8 in the Power Rankings, which seems to be a measure not only of its success but also of its competition.

Advice: drop out of the American Conference and play a tougher schedule. Then, accept an invitation, a la Louisville, to a Power Five conference.

devildeac
01-05-2018, 09:23 AM

61-7 FIU
38-10 @Maryland
40-13 Memphis
51-23 @Cinc.
63-21 East Carolina
31-21 @ Navy
73-33 Austin Peay
31-24 @SMU
49-24 UConn
45-19 @Temple
49-22 So. Florida
62-55 Memphis
34-27 Auburn

Only Power Five game was against Big Ten weakling Maryland. As a result, I suppose, UCF ended by #8 in the Power Rankings, which seems to be a measure not only of its success but also of its competition.

Advice: drop out of the American Conference and play a tougher schedule. Then, accept an invitation, a la Louisville, to a Power Five conference.

How are their academics?

Asking for a neighbor...

Devil549
01-05-2018, 09:32 AM
Academically in FLA they are known as Can’t Finish U......this was told to me by a native of FLA 4-5 years ago.

Enrollment is 2nd or 3rd in the state.

OldPhiKap
01-05-2018, 09:39 AM
I think it's hard to justify an undefeated UCF team over a one-loss Alabama team due to the level of competition. And Alabama's one loss was at rival Auburn.

Unless someone is going to argue that undefeated UCF should have gotten in over one loss ACC Champ Clemson, one loss SEC Champ Georgia, or one loss Big XII Champ Oklahoma, which also seems difficult to justify. Clemson and Oklahoma had one bad loss, but many much bigger wins than UCF. Georgia's only loss was also at Auburn, which was not a bad loss -- but they had a bunch of wins better than UCF.

Can we look retrospectively and say that a disappointed Auburn got rolled by a motivated UCF, and therefore UCF should have gotten the spot? I don't think so. But the way to find out is for UCF to play more P5 teams in the regular season and beat them. And I don't mean the Twerps.

ice-9
01-05-2018, 12:29 PM

61-7 FIU
38-10 @Maryland
40-13 Memphis
51-23 @Cinc.
63-21 East Carolina
31-21 @ Navy
73-33 Austin Peay
31-24 @SMU
49-24 UConn
45-19 @Temple
49-22 So. Florida
62-55 Memphis
34-27 Auburn

The fundamental flaw of college football is that for certain seasons like this one, too few games are played to establish a clear champion.

elvis14
01-05-2018, 03:00 PM
I think it's hard to justify an undefeated UCF team over a one-loss Alabama team

Well, yeah except that we are all just really tired of Alabama.

JasonEvans
01-05-2018, 04:48 PM
The fundamental flaw of college football is that for certain seasons like this one, too few games are played to establish a clear champion.

https://media.giphy.com/media/tN1iL0N8HJAAM/source.gif

TampaDuke
01-05-2018, 09:00 PM

Both USF and UCF have been trying for over a decade to get into a better conference. Not possible in SEC or ACC in light of FSU, UM, and UF. Both tried desperately for B12 this past year, but B12 elected to stand pat for now.

Can we look retrospectively and say that a disappointed Auburn got rolled by a motivated UCF, and therefore UCF should have gotten the spot? I don't think so. But the way to find out is for UCF to play more P5 teams in the regular season and beat them. And I don't mean the Twerps.

Both UCF and USF (and a number of others like Houston, Memphis, Etc) have been begging P5 schools to play them. They simply won't except in rare cases. And why would they? Whether it's Houston beating Oklahoma or
Louisville; USF beating FSU; or UCF beating Alabama, Baylor, Penn State, Maryland, and now Auburn; there's just no upside for the big boys to regularly schedule the top tier G6 schools. They're lucky to get One or sometimes two P5 opponents per year, and it's almost always a mid or lower P5 school.

Unfortunately, UCF's other P5 contest this year (Ga Tech) fell victim to Hurricane Irma.

I beg to differ. I think there is one thing we can all agree with when it comes to UCF -- that they destroy their next P5 opponent. UCF plays at UNC next season on 9/15/18. :)

They also play Pitt later in the year.

Bluedog
01-08-2018, 01:18 PM
If you don't want to hear Fowler and Herbstreit, you can tune into ESPNEWS tonight for the national championship game and listen to coaches dissect it.

The beloved-in-internet-circles Coaches’ Film Room, which the network’s been holding during title games for years and also had going on during the Playoff semifinals on New Year’s Day. That’s on ESPNEWS and will feature the following coaches watching the game and dissecting it in real time: Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy, Colorado State’s Mike Bobo (Georgia’s former OC), Northwestern’s Pat Fitzgerald, Duke’s David Cutcliffe, former Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin, and maybe more.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16849188/national-championship-tv-streaming-espn-2018-schedule-megacast-coaches

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2018, 02:00 PM
If you don't want to hear Fowler and Herbstreit, you can tune into ESPNEWS tonight for the national championship game and listen to coaches dissect it.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/1/8/16849188/national-championship-tv-streaming-espn-2018-schedule-megacast-coaches

Cutcliffe might have a career in broadcasting ahead of him, when you consider how much more street cred he will have after captaining a Duke national championship in a few years.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2018, 02:09 PM
Cutcliffe might have a career in broadcasting ahead of him, when you consider how much more street cred he will have after captaining a Duke national championship in a few years.

True, and back-to-back doesn't happen very often these days outside of Tuscaloosa.

(And doesn't look likely in Lincoln any time soon)

arnie
01-08-2018, 05:17 PM

Specifically the 2019 season after we destroy Bama in the opener. Roll Devils.

OldPhiKap
01-08-2018, 05:21 PM
Specifically the 2019 season after we destroy Bama in the opener. Roll Devils.

And yet, we still won't be ranked until we get to 5-0.

Troublemaker
01-08-2018, 08:56 PM
Georgia needs to put up some points here. They've playcalled almost the perfect 1Q, passing when they're expected to run, and running when they're expected to pass. But it needs to pay off here with some points and a lead because I don't know if they can continue to use that element of surprise to their benefit. Bama will adjust, you would think.

Newton_14
01-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Georgia needs to put up some points here. They've playcalled almost the perfect 1Q, passing when they're expected to run, and running when they're expected to pass. But it needs to pay off here with some points and a lead because I don't know if they can continue to use that element of surprise to their benefit. Bama will adjust, you would think.

I like Georgia's chances a lot better than I did prior to the game. They are competing much better than I thought they could. Looks like we may get a good ball game tonight after all! Fingers crossed! Go Dawgs!

ipatent
01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
Georgia not intimidated. Should be a good second half.

wavedukefan70s
01-08-2018, 10:03 PM
The halftime performer isn't even in the stadium .it's down the street?

Troublemaker
01-08-2018, 10:22 PM
I like Georgia's chances a lot better than I did prior to the game. They are competing much better than I thought they could. Looks like we may get a good ball game tonight after all! Fingers crossed! Go Dawgs!

Gotta love how aggressive they've been. They could've lost a 17-3 ballgame playing a standard gameplan, but they dared to trust Fromm, spread the field, and play with tempo. I think they ran 47 plays to Bama's 24 in the first half.

luvdahops
01-08-2018, 10:24 PM
Gotta love how aggressive they've been. They could've lost a 17-3 ballgame playing a standard gameplan, but they dared to trust Fromm, spread the field, and play with tempo. I think they ran 47 plays to Bama's 24 in the first half.

Their defense also has the Bama O completely out of sorts

Newton_14
01-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Refs just bailed Bama out on that punt. The Georgia kid did not cross the line until after the ball was snapped. Probably should have been false start on Bama if anything, which would have also negated the blocked punt so I guess end result didn't matter all that much..

Newton_14
01-08-2018, 10:27 PM
Now they miss a facemask that was fairly obvious. Uggh

wavedukefan70s
01-08-2018, 10:29 PM
Saban may have sent someone to the atm at the half.🤔

wavedukefan70s
01-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Bama line man tackles a guy from behind on that scramble.no flag.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2018, 10:43 PM

So, it is an interesting way to watch football. You get WAY more information like this, but these coaches definitely don't have the mic chops that the booth guys do.

You could learn a lot watching football this way.

Edit: admittedly WAYYYY less exciting tho

YmoBeThere
01-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Please please please let 'bama lose.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2018, 11:44 PM
Please please please let 'bama lose.

I am rooting for overtime.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2018, 11:46 PM
I am rooting for overtime.

My odds went up!

Billy Dat
01-08-2018, 11:54 PM
Cutcliffe getting much love from social media for his Coach's Film Room performance tonight.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-08-2018, 11:56 PM
Cutcliffe getting much love from social media for his Coach's Film Room performance tonight.

He is the most articulate guy in the room. No surprise there.

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2018, 12:00 AM
wholly cow!ot

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:01 AM
wholly cow!

I get my wish!

YmoBeThere
Bad miss...

Bluedog
wholly cow!

Feel for the kicker, but still happy! Come on Dawgs... Got too complacent in forth quarter playing not to lose. Need to be aggressive in OT!

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2018, 12:04 AM
Can't believe it. meanwhile jrs eating smoked ribs.i will get indigestion just looking at them this late.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Can't believe it. meanwhile jrs eating smoked ribs.i will get indigestion just looking at them this late.

Was pizza boxes earlier.

dukelifer
01-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Feel for the kicker, but still happy! Come on Dawgs... Got too complacent in forth quarter playing not to lose. Need to be aggressive in OT!

Georgia needs to get a touchdown. That Alabama kid has the IT factor.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:06 AM
I loooove college football overtime

Acymetric
01-09-2018, 12:08 AM
What a freaking kick!

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2018, 12:08 AM
Best championship i have seen in a while.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:09 AM
What a freaking kick!

No kidding.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Best championship i have seen in a while.

Ya think?

YmoBeThere
01-09-2018, 12:10 AM
Michel has 98 yards on 14 carries. Why do the keep using Chubb?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Holy cow

dukelifer
Georgia needs to get a touchdown. That Alabama kid has the IT factor.

Alabama found a quarterback

wavedukefan70s
Holy cow

Yep wow.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Alabama found a quarterback

Not a moment too soon

Bluedog
01-09-2018, 12:12 AM
Bummer...could have easily gone either way. Congrats to Bama.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:13 AM
That was worth staying awake for. And I don't say that lightly.

OldPhiKap
Fitting finish to the season.

wavedukefan70s
Was rooting for georgia .what a game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:14 AM
Coach Cut is just killing the Georgia Safety and Corner for their coverage on the last play.

Really enjoyed listening to the coaches' broadcast.

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2018, 12:17 AM
Qb change was the play of the game.gutsy move.

dukelifer
01-09-2018, 12:18 AM
Not a moment too soon

Kid can throw it. Reminds me of Russell Wilson. Kid is special. Amazing that he came in and did that.

wavedukefan70s
01-09-2018, 12:18 AM
Coach Cut is just killing the Georgia Safety and Corner for their coverage on the last play.

Really enjoyed listening to the coaches' broadcast.
Coverage was bad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
01-09-2018, 12:19 AM
Kid can throw it. Reminds me of Russell Wilson. Kid is special. Amazing that he came in and did that.

Love me some Russell Wilson.

I reckon there isn't a QB with fewer minutes this season who will have a better off season.

dukelifer
01-09-2018, 12:21 AM
Love me some Russell Wilson.

I reckon there isn't a QB with fewer minutes this season who will have a better off season.

Alabama with a dynamic quarterback that can throw like that is scary.

Troublemaker
01-09-2018, 12:30 AM
Great game. The move to the backup QB was key but Georgia also played a little too conventional down the stretch and in OT. The Dawgs stopped playing freely and stopped using underdog strategy (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/05/11/how-david-beats-goliath).

A few things (and maybe I'm nuts, who knows):
- I would've fake punted on Georgia's last possession in regulation. With how tired Ga's defense was, it was obvious Bama was going to march down the field. Ga was just lucky that the Bama kicker gagged.
- First possession in OT. Run, run, pass? Really? Again, Ga was just lucky that their kicker bailed them out after that sack.
- Finally, most crucially, Kirby Smart should've taken a timeout after Ga sacked Bama on the second OT possession. (In OT, you are given a timeout). It was obvious the next play would be a deep shot to go for a win. (It's not like Bama trusted their kicker at this point and wanted to scrap and claw their way back into deep FG range). Smart should've taken a timeout to ensure that the secondary and the entire defense were on the same page. To point out that THIS.IS.THE.GAME.RIGHT.HERE. We have them right where we want them after the sack and with a shaky field goal kicker. Just protect the end zone and we win a title.

CameronBornAndBred
01-09-2018, 12:37 AM
We've been blessed with Coach K's success; it's hard not to admire what Saban has done in his career. We have a unique point of view, seeing your coach win, and win again.
Fun to watch records be broken. That was a great ending.