PDA

View Full Version : WSoc: College Cup Tonight

burnspbesq
12-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Duke faces UCLA in the national semifinals tonight in Orlando. Game time is 7:30 Eastern, and the match will be shown on ESPNU. South Carolina and Stanford square off in the other semi.

LGD!

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 10:21 AM
Duke faces UCLA in the national semifinals tonight in Orlando. Game time is 7:30 Eastern, and the match will be shown on ESPNU. South Carolina and Stanford square off in the other semi.

LGD!

Would be interesting to see both Duke and South Carolina facing off in two different sports on Sunday.

dudog84
12-01-2017, 06:58 PM
Just wanted to bump this in case it had slipped anybody's mind that wanted to watch.

jimmymax
12-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Stanford beat SC 2-0.

burnspbesq
12-01-2017, 08:28 PM
0-0 at the half. Duke had the two best chances, but both were very much against the run of play. UCLA has been pressing high and making it very difficult for Duke to build from the back. At times Duke has looked tentative.

ipatent
12-01-2017, 09:32 PM
Headed for overtime.

DukieInKansas
12-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Headed for overtime.

And a second OT

chrishoke
12-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Strange game. UCLA is dominating possession but hasn't been able to score. Duke has had only a handful of dangerous counter attacks. We appear to be headed to PKs.

chrishoke
12-01-2017, 09:59 PM
PKs coming up

juise
12-01-2017, 10:09 PM
I hate PK’s.

dudog84
12-01-2017, 10:10 PM
Much better team won. They deserved it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 10:10 PM
:( Tough way to lose.

Ggallagher
12-01-2017, 10:12 PM
It is so painful to have a game come down to PK's. Hate it when they end that way.

chrishoke
12-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Much better team won. They deserved it.

Yep. We played scared the whole game.

BlueTeuf
12-01-2017, 10:22 PM
Will regretfully concur that UCLA looked the better team almost the entire evening and pronouncedly so in the OT sessions. That said, I'm disappointed for our ladies who fashioned a remarkable season and earned the right to aspire for it to continue.

Go Duke!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Yep. We played scared the whole game.
We played stall ball the entire game. We kept screaming at the tv for them (us) to advance the ball. All a prevent defense does is keep the team playing it from winning - football, basketball or soccer, the results are the same. We didn’t deserve to win. But I wish we had. I need to look up the HPR code for this. Maybe tomorrow.

nmduke2001
12-02-2017, 12:26 AM
I watched several games this season thanks to the WatchESPN app. In those games, Duke used their defensive backs to start the attack. They would pass back (sometimes as far back as the keeper) and patiently move the ball toward goal. If the attack stalled, they weren't afraid to send the ball all the way back and start over. UCLA was incredibly well prepared for that. Every time Duke played the ball back UCLA would send the forwards and even midfielders to pressure the ball. The Duke midfielders and forwards would come back to help and the spacing would fall apart. Our girls were quick with their passes and turned the ball over far too many times. I bet the ball was on our defensive end 80% of the game. Really tough to watch. Those girls had a great season. Too bad it won't end with a trophy.

dudog84
12-02-2017, 12:40 AM
I will freely admit I know very little about soccer tactics. But it seemed we were always slower to the ball, controlled it only 10-20% of the time, and every single time we "launched" an attack there was only one girl on their side of the field. Usually the left side, she did what she could and usually hesitated with the ball to wait for help but nobody ever came up the middle or other side...because they had 3/4 of the field to run. I think it was Julie Foudy of the announcers that was going a little nuts about this.

When you get to this point you have to play to win, NOT not to lose.

killerleft
12-02-2017, 12:35 PM
I get that we got so far this year by playing conservatively. But from the start UCLA had our number. As mentioned above, they pressed us in our own half, not worried overmuch about long passes. We rarely looked for any advantage to pressing forward whether it was available or not. Just passed back to the keeper. Is our coaching so inflexible? It was obvious early that most possessions were going to end in a mistake by Duke before we reached midfield.

This match was very hard to watch. Kudos to the defense, but we always had five players or more back to help out!