PDA

View Full Version : Most prized Duke sports-related memorabilia

Reilly
11-29-2017, 10:48 PM
This thread inspired by BandAlum83's post in the FB: Bowl Vigil thread: "I still have a piece of the goal post that was torn down and cut up after that game"

[Don't know if that is BandAlum83's favorite piece of Duke sports-related memorabilia, hence the thread, to learn, and to learn others'.]

FerryFor50
11-29-2017, 10:55 PM
I have a framed T-shirt from Duke's 1989 Final Four run that's signed by K that my parents got me when I was 11.

throatybeard
11-29-2017, 11:13 PM
I have beard hairs from myself in the 1998 season.

Not really.

A game worn Robert Brickey jersey he autographed for me in the south lobby at some point.

duke4ever19
11-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Most prized possession of all . . . an Upper Deck Grant Hill Duke card autographed Larry "Grammama" Johnson. :)

22JumpShots
11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Happy this thread was made. I have every pocket schedule back to 1972. I have every team photo/roster card back to 1977 (Missing 80/81 - 81/82 - 82/83 - 86/87). Every team poster back to 1982 (Missing 82/83 - 83/84 - 84/85, and still wanting 80/81) - they are team signed starting in 2000. All the Fleer Coach K autographs. All the SA-GE /10 Jersey/Auto cards authenticated by PSA. A whole bunch of other stuff, but the stuff mentioned I am most proud of.

Anyone have any extra team photos from the early 80's? Or the team posters from early 80's?

**My opinion changes every now and again, but I do have a full team signed 1988-89 team poster (Encore) with the late Phil Henderson. Pretty excited about this one.

House G
11-29-2017, 11:57 PM
I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t get away with this now, but after Duke upset Maryland in 1976 (the Terry Chili game), I cut down one of the nets in Cameron.

-jk
11-30-2017, 12:11 AM
Various nets and some floorboards from the Bubas' teams before Duke began selling them later.

And uncounted pics of guys at my folks' house. Some with me in them, too.

(But especially memories of the frosh parties before the real Duke unc games...)

-jk

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2017, 12:40 AM
My freshman bow was signed by Jeff Mullins. The same day he wrote this on the program from a freshman football game: To Jan Wood, the flower of Giles.

In addition, I have Art Heyman's autograph in a book of Duke basketball history. He wrote that he'd been waiting 30 years for the chance to write a note to me.

Perhaps the most meaningful items are a collection of notes and cards from Coach Cutcliffe. He always remembers my birthday with a card, but it's the note he sent after my mother died that's most special.

DukeDevil
11-30-2017, 12:45 AM
Hard call...my most memorable is either my 2001 national champions coke can, or my 2010 final four tickets. The one thing i geek out the most over are my Kyrie 2 limited edition Duke basketball shoes. Can’t bring myself to even try them on.

NashvilleDevil
11-30-2017, 01:27 AM
My collection of autographs I got when I was a youngster especially the one signed by my all time favorite player, Johnny Dawkins.

We were headed to the beach the summer of 86 and we stopped in Durham so my parents could visit old friends. Of course we go on campus, hit the bookstore, and then make our way to Cameron. I believe the basketball camp had just let out and they had sort of opened the gym up to shoot around. So I am playing a pickup game in Cameron at 8 years old (I turned 9 on this trip). My Mom starts shouting for me to come over and she’s a little excited. She points someone out and there he is #24. To hear my Mom tell the story I am starstruck, like could not even talk. She fishes out a scrap sheet of paper and a pen from her purse and I walk over and ask Johnny Dawkins for his autograph. I am told I just stared in wonderment. He signed it and after that it’s a blur. Whenever we visits my Mom, I make a point to look at that autograph.

dukefan_828
11-30-2017, 01:36 AM
I had just about all the Autographed Sage/PressPass Cards of Duke Players in duke uniforms that where made up until 2010 when i quit collecting. My whole collection of NFL NBA etc got stolen when i moved from the parents and my first apartment was burglarized, the duke autographs where my personal for keeps collection:(:( I still have a Bobby Hurley Press Pass autograph that i gave my dad, glad you posted this thread because im going to try and rebuild my collection now, here i come ebay!!

Pictures would be cool for this thread!

gam7
11-30-2017, 01:46 AM
Had but lost (and mentioned in similar threads in the past):

Autograph from James Worthy that read:

"To [gam7],

Go Duke!

(Don't tell anyone I ever said that)

/s/ James Worthy"

JNort
11-30-2017, 01:47 AM
My Duke Basketball Championship ball. Signed by Zoubek, Lance and Nolan. One day I'll get it signed by Singler, Scheyer and Coach.

91devil
11-30-2017, 07:20 AM
I have a basketball signed by the Full Team for each of the four years I was in school ('88 - '91). Framed in basketball holding devices.

Memories...those were really good times.

martydoesntfoul
11-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Super cool and absolutely worthless... I was invited to a party in 1988 at Alaa‘s apartment on Central Campus, just hours after Duke beat Temple at the Meadowlands to reach the Final Four. Quin, Danny, Billy, John Smith and others were there, and the place was rockin. At some point the team made a toast to Mark Macon—the freshman phenom they shut down—and popped a bottle of champagne. I grabbed the metal wiring thing that held the cork in place.

Duke79UNLV77
11-30-2017, 09:40 AM
I have materials, including diagrams on offense and defense and a Coach K letter (okay, not personally to me), from attending K's first summer of basketball camp at Duke. He was very involved in the camp at least back then.

I also have an autographed book from Coach K from when I was co-chairing a cancer fundraiser and wrote him to ask for an item for the auction.

Lastly, I have a basketball autographed by the 91 team.

BandAlum83
11-30-2017, 09:41 AM
This thread inspired by BandAlum83's post in the FB: Bowl Vigil thread: "I still have a piece of the goal post that was torn down and cut up after that game"

[Don't know if that is BandAlum83's favorite piece of Duke sports-related memorabilia, hence the thread, to learn, and to learn others'.]

Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad I could inspire someone, lol!

It is my favorite and honestly only piece of memorabilia (other than championship t-shirts).

I bid on, and almost won Mike Gminski's sneakers during a charity auction my freshman year. Don't know what I would have done with them - HAH!

ETA: I do have a dick Groat baseball card that I bought some years back because, well, he's Dick Groat!

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 09:41 AM
A game ball from the 2012 win over Carolina in Wallace Wade (equip mgr gave one each to TNTdevil and I as we were packing up our tailgate), a basketball signed by the entire women's team from the same year (won it on Facebook), and a mini basketball signed by Coach K given to my dad at his Duke retirement party. They all sit on a shelf in my painting studio with various championship Coke cans.

RPS
11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
This might be embarrassing.

I have a picture of "the shot," signed by Christian.

I have a collection of autographed basketball cards of Duke players, wearing Duke uniforms. In no particular order: Jabari, Tyus, Justise, all three Plumlees, Dunleavy, Avery, Luol, Capel, Trajan, JJ, Kelly, G. Henderson, Quinn, Maggette, Kyrie, Ferry, Duhan, Shelden, J-Will, Christian, Bilas, Nolan, Hood, Cherokee, Brand, Dahntay, Carrowell, Hurley, and Shane. It's a good group, but I have a bunch more to go.

I have this card.

I have a bunch of signed team posters.

The item below is probably my favorite. Everything else on this list I got myself. My youngest got this one for me on a visit to Cameron. K was wonderfully gracious.

RPS
11-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Super cool and absolutely worthless... I was invited to a party in 1988 at Alaa‘s apartment on Central Campus, just hours after Duke beat Temple at the Meadowlands to reach the Final Four. Quin, Danny, Billy, John Smith and others were there, and the place was rockin. At some point the team made a toast to Mark Macon—the freshman phenom they shut down—and popped a bottle of champagne. I grabbed the metal wiring thing that held the cork in place.That's fantastic. I was at that game in the Meadowlands (as was Bill Cosby, though that is much less memorable now, obviously). It was a great one.

wilson
11-30-2017, 10:58 AM
Santa Claus brought me a Duke hoodie in 1991, back when a Starter brand hoodie was still a big deal. I still wear it with regularity (good thing the oversized look was in then).
I also have a vintage Duke pennant--the real wool felt deal--with the vintage Duke "cross" logo, that pretty much can't be purchased on anything anymore. Bequeathed to me by my father, now on display in my classroom.

noworries
11-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Got a piece of the floor from the 2010 Final Four. Love it!

fraggler
11-30-2017, 02:19 PM
I have a game-used towel from this game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SqGD4R-22k Somehow managed to pick it up and hold onto it when we rushed the floor. Pretty sure it has Steve Wojciechowski's sweat and snot on it still since I never washed it. Could be someone else's. Haven't had the DNA checked.

Also bought a piece of the Cameron floor that they replaced while I was in school. I'm also in the picture that came with it showing the last game played on it.

Mike Corey
11-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Love this thread. Just love it.

In 1989, my dad was celebrating his 20th reunion. Mom, Dad and I were at breakfast--I was nearly 7--and Coach K was dining across the room. My dad handed me the only thing we had on us that could be written on, the envelope for his reunion, and charged me with introducing myself and bringing back an autograph.

Coach was extremely nice, and provided not only an autograph, but a charge I proudly took to heart, and one I'm sure he has shared with thousands of children and adult autograph-seekers over the years:

"Michael: Always try your best. -Mike Krzyzewski"

RPS
11-30-2017, 03:33 PM
"Michael: Always try your best. -Mike Krzyzewski"Picture?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-30-2017, 05:35 PM
Love this thread. Just love it.

In 1989, my dad was celebrating his 20th reunion. Mom, Dad and I were at breakfast--I was nearly 7--and Coach K was dining across the room. My dad handed me the only thing we had on us that could be written on, the envelope for his reunion, and charged me with introducing myself and bringing back an autograph.

Coach was extremely nice, and provided not only an autograph, but a charge I proudly took to heart, and one I'm sure he has shared with thousands of children and adult autograph-seekers over the years:

"Michael: Always try your best. -Mike Krzyzewski"
Ha! My kids each recently received a signed photo from Coach K with the same exact words. Must be his "go to." They cherish it and look at it every morning!

I also have the front page of the Chronicle from all 5 championships framed in my office - including the first two that I collected on campus during my freshman and sophomore years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-30-2017, 05:46 PM
My freshman bow was signed by Jeff Mullins. The same day he wrote this on the program from a freshman football game: To Jan Wood, the flower of Giles.

In addition, I have Art Heyman's autograph in a book of Duke basketball history. He wrote that he'd been waiting 30 years for the chance to write a note to me.

Perhaps the most meaningful items are a collection of notes and cards from Coach Cutcliffe. He always remembers my birthday with a card, but it's the note he sent after my mother died that's most special.

Just remembered that Ted Mann, Jr. was sitting with Jeff at that freshman football game when Jeff signed a few things for me. Ted was on the basketball team with Jeff, but died one summer following an accident while he was still an undergraduate. His dad was Ted Mann, Sr., Sports Information Director at Duke (1927-1966). One of the awards presented to a member of the men's basketball team each year is in memory of Ted Mann, Jr.

Native
11-30-2017, 05:56 PM
Mason Plumlee gave me a signed, game-worn pair of his sneakers since we sat next to each other in Italian I and II. Pretty cool memento from my sophomore year.

ipatent
11-30-2017, 08:21 PM
I have a piece of the old Cameron floor.

SmartDevil
11-30-2017, 10:10 PM
MANY years ago....heck, quite a number of decades ago....the keys to the kingdom...literally.

Though I also prize my green and orange sweatshirts.

camion
11-30-2017, 11:30 PM
Sand

I watched the ‘91 UNLV game while on a trip to Pawleys Island. It took a 45 minute power walk along the beach to work off the adrenalin rush after the game and I have the sand in my shoes from that walk.

Oh, and I still have a commemorative can of Duke True Blue Soda.

NYBri
11-30-2017, 11:43 PM
My Duke diploma.

Acymetric
11-30-2017, 11:48 PM
I have a hat with a bunch of great signatures obtained over time, but this is probably the best thing I've got...taken when I was 3 (not sure after which game), and several years later signed at the Duke basketball camp. Lifer!

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7875&stc=1

HaveFunExpectToWin
11-30-2017, 11:54 PM
A signed ball from 1991is the most significant item, but the SI copies from 91, 92, 01, and 10 are sentimental favorites. Also the true blue can in my signature

RPS
12-01-2017, 12:35 AM
My Duke diploma.Excellent.

I wish I'd thought of this.

Rickshaw
12-01-2017, 06:27 AM
A mini basketball signed by Christian Leattner the day after the Kentucky game '1992. Ran into him and Brian Davis at north gate mall
that day.

BlueTeuf
12-01-2017, 06:52 AM
As a military family, we moved a lot - each time thinning out our possessions based on a coarse valuation of utility and future need. It was a shared responsibility - and my wife and I would joke about each other's proclivities on what to save and what to "donate". Somewhere along the way, my "Dennard and Banks - So Long and Thanks" T-Shirt disappeared from my worldly possessions. I didn't do it, and my wife doesn't remember doing it - but the T-shirt is definitely gone. And it is my fault - I had once desecrated the shirt by wearing it while painting a room. Various mishaps had rendered the shirt unsuitable for public wear.

For several years I watched eBay in hopes of finding a replacement - to no avail. Now reading this thread, I realize none of you value this memento the way I do and am respectfully asking that you send me yours. I will pay you fairly and take much better care of it than my previous behavior indicates.

It's what I want for Christmas.

YmoBeThere
12-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Oh, and I still have a commemorative can of Duke True Blue Soda.

Mine exploded during one of my moves. I still have the can though.

accfanfrom1970
12-01-2017, 08:06 AM
I have a piece of the old Cameron floor.

I have this too, and Coach K was nice enough to sign it when my son went to his basketball camp.

TruBlu
12-01-2017, 08:24 AM
1) A 3’ x 6’ Final Four banner which hung outside Lucas Oil Stadium for the 2010 Championship.
My daughter knew a guy who worked there, and he got us each one as they were removing them after the Final Four. (We won, in case anyone didn’t know.)

2) The back of my seat (with my seat #) from Cameron Indoor Stadium where I have had season tickets since approximately the Revolutionary War. It was broken in 1995 when Jeff Capel hit his mid court shot to tie unc. Dude behind me jumped in excitement and landed on it, breaking it completely off the frame. Out of consideration for the safety of everyone in my section, I removed it from Cameron so that no one would trip over it.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 09:55 AM
Mason Plumlee gave me a signed, game-worn pair of his sneakers since we sat next to each other in Italian I and II. Pretty cool memento from my sophomore year.

He didn't take Swahili? How lame!

Very cool to the sneakers, those things must be huge.

BandAlum83
12-01-2017, 11:02 AM

Wait, what?

Oh yeah, Duke players do go to class. :)

BandAlum83
12-01-2017, 11:03 AM
A mini basketball signed by Christian Leattner the day after the Kentucky game '1992. Ran into him and Brian Davis at north gate mall
that day.

Were they holding hands? HAH!

littlejohn
12-01-2017, 11:15 AM
A Duke t-shirt that was signed by Coach K and Coach Wooden that was auctioned on this site to benefit Duke Children's hospital. Wish I could have kept it ! Hope whoever won the auction displays it proudly

DukieInKansas
12-01-2017, 02:13 PM
I bought a pen made from the Cameron floor - carry it daily. (It fits in my checkbook - I know, who uses checks anymore.)

rsvman
12-01-2017, 02:26 PM
A Duke t-shirt that was signed by Coach K and Coach Wooden that was auctioned on this site to benefit Duke Children's hospital. Wish I could have kept it ! Hope whoever won the auction displays it proudly

Sweet. Thanks for helping the kids.

PackMan97
12-01-2017, 02:31 PM
I have a nice scar I got one fateful day in march of 1997. It was the same day that NC State upset Duke in the first round of the ACC tourney. Y'all were the #1 seed and we were the #9 seed (having just won the play-in). Apparently I said the wrong thing to a Duke graduate and ended up with a 3 inch scar in my abdomen and 8 day stay in the hospital. I won't forget that game. It was well worth it! I still like to think of it as my scar from that Duke game. Does that count as memorabilia?

The Duke graduate was really a doctor in the ER at Wake Med and what I told him convinved him to do an emergency appendectomy.

dukelifer
12-01-2017, 03:06 PM
The temporary blue, locker room label with Duke in white letters from the 1985 Preseason NIT championship at Madison Square Garden given to me by Weldon Williams who I helped with some homework.

weezie
12-01-2017, 03:24 PM
I have a nice scar I got one fateful day in march of 1997. It was the same day that NC State upset Duke in the first round of the ACC tourney. Y'all were the #1 seed and we were the #9 seed (having just won the play-in). Apparently I said the wrong thing to a Duke graduate and ended up with a 3 inch scar in my abdomen and 8 day stay in the hospital. I won't forget that game. It was well worth it! I still like to think of it as my scar from that Duke game. Does that count as memorabilia?

The Duke graduate was really a doctor in the ER at Wake Med and what I told him convinved him to do an emergency appendectomy.

Good one Packy! My appendix blew in 1991 the night before the regional finals in Detroit. Still have that sweatshirt.

SoCalDukeFan
12-01-2017, 03:42 PM
The centerpieces at the 10 Annual Wooden Award dinner were gold covered basketballs. Mine is signed by Coach K, Jason Wiliams, Shane Battier and John Wooden.

SoCal

Chicago 1995
12-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Autographs of the entire 1986 team. We got Final Four tickets through the lottery and ended up staying at the Duke hotel. I was 13 and a long way from Duke at that point, and my parents had no connection, so it was just luck.

I've got a piece of goalpost from the 1994 season when Duke beat UVA to go 8-1 on the year.

Final Four tickets from 1992 and 2001 (and 1986 and 1994).

Turk
12-01-2017, 04:07 PM
My Duke diploma.

Pfft. Almost everyone around here has one of those. Why should that be such a big deal? :cool:

NYBri
12-01-2017, 04:36 PM
Pfft. Almost everyone around here has one of those. Why should that be such a big deal? :cool:

I know there are lots of them around, but it happens to be my favorite. :cool:

House G
12-01-2017, 05:11 PM
I know there are lots of them around, but it happens to be my favorite. :cool:

I believe Rashad McCants refers to his diploma as sports-related memorabilia.

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-01-2017, 05:42 PM
I believe Rashad McCants refers to his diploma as sports-related memorabilia.
I thought it was referred to as toilet paper...

jimmymax
12-01-2017, 05:50 PM
I have a box of stuff mostly from championship seasons (newspapers, SIs, etc.) and my mother-in-law, RIP, a Texan that moved to NC and adopted Duke, bought me one of those pieces of the '91-'92 floor. That's probably the most prized item. I have been doing some purging and have a '93-'94 yearbook with Marty, Grant and Tony Lang on the cover. If anyone local to Durham wants it let me know and it's yours.

bundabergdevil
12-02-2017, 03:39 PM
I have a custom comforter on my bed. One side features a quiet mountain forest scene. In the foreground, Matt Christensen is asleep in a wooden cage, curled up on a pile of hay in a Duke blue onesie. A bucket of fish-heads is tipped over next to him. The soft glow of a village is toward the bottom of the blanket - at the base of the mountain. When all is right with my world, I sleep with that side up. The dog and wife both stay in the room at night. All is well.

The flip side is a different scene. In it, the woods are ablaze and the remnants of the cage are strewn about. Matt Christensen is seen heading down the mountain with his arms in the air and the drop seat to his onesie unbuttoned. There are two full moons. The villagers are running scared into the night. When that side is up, my dog tucks tail and retreats to a different room and the wife knows we'll be slumbering in separate beds. These nights may or may not coincide with Duke losses...

If you asked my mother, she'd tell you her most prized Duke sports-related memorabilia is my left eye. She paid the Duke Eye Center $40,000 to reconstruct my retina. We don't have a definitive answer as to why it needed reconstructing but I had been on the receiving end of a wicked elbow from Shelden Williams in a summer pick-up game a few months prior...sooooooo, motherly math...two and two and such.

HaveFunExpectToWin
12-06-2017, 07:18 PM
Mine exploded during one of my moves. I still have the can though.

I still have one intact, however all the liquid oozed through the can somehow. There were blue sticky rings on the shelf it sat on, but the seal isn't broken. I'm still baffled.

22JumpShots
12-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Saw this and thought I'd share here - (link at the bottom if need be).

I didn't see this until today, and have idea how much it actually sold for - but would be a pretty cool thing to own. I wonder if Jeff Capel would have any interest in it?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

"One of the most famous pics of Pac from the '90s shows him wearing the blue #5 jersey, which was worn on the court by Jeff Capel at the time. Pac apparently loved the look so much, he got one for himself.

The jersey -- which has been framed and comes with a letter of authenticity from his bodyguard -- is Tupac's personalized uni that he "frequently wore during his downtime at home," according to Goldin Auctions."

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/08/tupac-duke-basketball-jersey-auction/