PDA

View Full Version : 2018 MBB Coaching Carousel

Pages : [1] 2

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2017, 08:51 AM
The men's carousel got off to a surprisingly early start with Tim Floyd announcing his retirement. Both his assistants had been HCs before, and for the foreseeable future they'll have to do since nobody is going to leave a job this early in the season to move to El Paso. Still, Floyd's is the first vacant spot of the year.

sagegrouse
11-29-2017, 08:56 AM
The men's carousel got off to a surprisingly early start with Tim Floyd announcing his retirement. Both his assistants had been HCs before, and for the foreseeable future they'll have to do since nobody is going to leave a job this early in the season to move to El Paso. Still, Floyd's is the first vacant spot of the year.

Tim Floyd had dropped out of sight for me. Here's his coaching career:

1976–1977 Louisiana Tech (asst.)
1977–1986 UTEP (asst.)
1986–1988 Idaho
1988–1994 New Orleans
1994–1998 Iowa State
1998–2001 Chicago Bulls
2003–2004 New Orleans Hornets
2005–2009 USC
2010–2017 UTEP

Head coaching record
444–248 (NCAA)
90–231 (NBA)

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2017, 09:02 AM

1977–1986 UTEP (asst.)
1986–1988 Idaho
1988–1994 New Orleans
1994–1998 Iowa State
1998–2001 Chicago Bulls
2005–2009 USC
2010–2017 UTEP

Head coaching record
444–248 (NCAA)
90–231 (NBA)

Ditto, had totally forgotten about him until I read his retirement news. Sounds like it wasn't even school initiated; he was basically like "I'm really bad at this now, time to hang it up."

BD80
11-29-2017, 11:21 AM

1977–1986 UTEP (asst.)
1986–1988 Idaho
1988–1994 New Orleans
1994–1998 Iowa State
1998–2001 Chicago Bulls
2005–2009 USC
2010–2017 UTEP

Head coaching record
444–248 (NCAA)
90–231 (NBA)

Damn, until this news item, he was a great candidate for "Alive or dead?"

CameronBornAndBred
11-29-2017, 04:51 PM
Jeff Lebo resigns from ECU.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ecu-basketball-head-coach-jeff-lebo-resigns-/17149466/

MChambers
11-29-2017, 05:04 PM

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ecu-basketball-head-coach-jeff-lebo-resigns-/17149466/

Very strange time to resign. Wonder if there is more to the story?

jv001
11-29-2017, 09:13 PM

Maybe Jeff found out the players actually had to attend classes and pass the courses. GoDuke!

CameronBornAndBred
12-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Charlotte fires Mark Price.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/charlotte-fires-with-coach-former-nba-star-mark-price/17185679/

sagegrouse
12-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Charlotte fires Mark Price.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/charlotte-fires-with-coach-former-nba-star-mark-price/17185679/

Uh,... let me translate. The "Jeff Mullins Solution" only worked for #44. In 1985, Charlotte hired Jeff Mullins, 12-year NBA veteran and all-star, NBA champion, ACC POY and All-American, and Olympic gold medalist, and in two years the program turned around, winning the Sun Belt conference and making the NCAA tournament. Charlotte went to the NCAA's three times and the NIT twice in Jeff's 12 years as coach.

Less than three years ago, Charlotte tried a second time with Mark Price, who had a remarkably similar college and NBA resume to Mullins. After two years and nine games, the AD pulled the plug on the Mr. Price -- who said he was "shocked" by the move.

throatybeard
12-15-2017, 08:43 AM

It's kind of impressive that a guy could rack up 327 career wins without ever getting anywhere near the NCAA Tournament.

OldPhiKap
12-15-2017, 09:00 AM
Oh no! Not Lebo!

JasonEvans
12-15-2017, 10:24 AM
It's kind of impressive that a guy could rack up 327 career wins without ever getting anywhere near the NCAA Tournament.

Well, his 2009 Auburn team was 22-11 (10-6 in SEC) and was probably one of the last few teams to miss getting an at-large bid. They were given a #1 seed in the NIT, which typically indicates a team that came really close to making the NCAAs. Also, his last two Tennessee Tech teams dominated the Ohio Valley, winning the regular season race and seemed very likely to get NCAA bids, but they each lost in the conference tourney and did not get an at-large invite.

Still, 20 years and only 5 post-season tournaments (2 NIT, 3 CIT) is sorta amazing.

Lebo is only 51. I'm not sure if he was pushed out or just decided to hang it up. His Auburn contract was paying him $750k a year and I would imagine he has a few million in the bank after being a head coach for so many seasons, but 51 feels like a young age to just hang it up. Maybe he will try to get into broadcasting or something like that.

-Jason "as least he has a Carolina degree to fall back upon... cause I'm sure he earned every credit he got, right?" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
02-08-2018, 09:26 PM
Colorado State will fire men’s basketball Larry Eustachy for violating a zero-tolerance policy implemented after previous abusive behavior toward players and staff, the Denver Post reported Thursday, citing an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the situation.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/colorado-state-to-fire-mens-basketball-coach-larry-eustachy-report-says/ar-BBIS85I?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

superdave
02-08-2018, 10:14 PM
Tech ought to be readying the guillotine for Pastner. This is turning into a disaster.

CameronBornAndBred
02-12-2018, 09:06 PM
The Ole Miss job will be open at season's end.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22409723/andy-kennedy-ole-miss-rebels-part-ways-season

lotusland
02-12-2018, 09:49 PM
The Ole Miss job will be open at season's end.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22409723/andy-kennedy-ole-miss-rebels-part-ways-season

I don’t know much about Kennedy but Parrish and Norlander discussed his plight at Ole Miss on their CBS podcast. Their take was that Kennedy did well at a very bad division 1 job and they speculated that the next coach will probably win fewer games. Good programs want to be great, average programs want to be good and they’re willing to risk being worse for a shot at being better. Jamie Dixon and Herb Sendek can relate.

BD80
02-12-2018, 09:59 PM
... Good programs want to be great, average programs want to be good and they’re willing to risk being worse for a shot at being better. Jamie Dixon and Herb Sendek can relate.

Jamie Dixon left Pitt. It wasn't an attempt by Pitt to get better. Dixon saw what talent he had at Pitt and what was waiting at TCU (his alma mater) and bolted. Pitt lost most if not all of the recruits that had signed LOIs.

CameronBornAndBred
02-26-2018, 08:23 PM
Colorado State has an open position. Larry Eustachy resigns.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/embattled-eustachy-resigns-as-colorado-states-coach/ar-BBJDiAO?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

lotusland
02-27-2018, 06:58 AM
Jamie Dixon left Pitt. It wasn't an attempt by Pitt to get better. Dixon saw what talent he had at Pitt and what was waiting at TCU (his alma mater) and bolted. Pitt lost most if not all of the recruits that had signed LOIs.

Idk what the mood was at Pitt about Dixon but Gary Parrish described a preemptive move. Being an overachieving perennial bubble team takes good coaching but isn’t appreciated long term. He knew he wasn’t going to compete for a Conference title in the ACC and consistent middling success would wear thin eventually. Buzz Peterson is in a similar spot. He’s a pretty well respected coach with mediocre results. He needs a top 10 finish type year. Then he can decide if he wants to plant his flag at VT or move on while there’s a positive buzz (pun intended) around him. Sort off like he did at Marquette.

arnie
02-27-2018, 07:17 AM
Idk what the mood was at Pitt about Dixon but Gary Parrish described a preemptive move. Being an overachieving perennial bubble team takes good coaching but isn’t appreciated long term. He knew he wasn’t going to compete for a Conference title in the ACC and consistent middling success would wear thin eventually. Buzz Peterson is in a similar spot. He’s a pretty well respected coach with mediocre results. He needs a top 10 finish type year. Then he can decide if he wants to plant his flag at VT or move on while there’s a positive buzz (pun intended) around him. Sort off like he did at Marquette.

Buzz Peterson? Must be inside William’s sweaty shirt.

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Is Tubby the next to go? Think Memphis might be looking for a quick recruiting advantage?

Memphis is considering firing head coach Tubby Smith and replacing him with Penny Hardaway, according to a report Tuesday by CBSSports.com.
Hardaway, who played for the Tigers from 1991 to '93 before becoming a four-time NBA All-Star, currently coaches East High School (Memphis, Tenn.) and runs the Team Penny AAU program on the Nike EYBL circuit. He coaches ESPN 60 No. 1 junior James Wiseman at East, as well as five-star junior Chandler Lawson (No. 26). Five-star junior D.J. Jeffries (No. 17) also plays for Team Penny.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

OldPhiKap
03-07-2018, 09:49 AM
Is Tubby the next to go? Think Memphis might be looking for a quick recruiting advantage?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

Will Lil' Penny be an assistant coach?

SavDukeGrad
03-07-2018, 09:55 AM

That would be great, because Kentucky thinks they have Wiseman locked up! Also, there has been a lot of speculation that he might reclassify to the 2018 class.

chrishoke
03-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Will Lil' Penny be an assistant coach?

Big man coach.

mgtr
03-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Buzz Peterson? Must be inside William’s sweaty shirt.

I heard he was Alex McConnell's uncle!;)

CameronBornAndBred
03-07-2018, 03:03 PM
Colorado State will fire men’s basketball Larry Eustachy for violating a zero-tolerance policy implemented after previous abusive behavior toward players and staff, the Denver Post reported Thursday, citing an unidentified source with direct knowledge of the situation.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/colorado-state-to-fire-mens-basketball-coach-larry-eustachy-report-says/ar-BBIS85I?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

This would be very cool to see.

Becky Hammon has spent the last four seasons as an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs, and Colorado State has the former WNBA star on its radar.
According to Pete Thamel of Yahoo Sports, a source at the university said Hammon is considered one of the top candidates by the administration.
Hammon is a legend at the school, having secured three All-American honors during a prolific career. She shattered program records, and her No. 25 jersey is retired.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/report-becky-hammon-a-top-candidate-for-colorado-st-job/ar-BBJZ1OH?ocid=spartandhp

Tripping William
03-08-2018, 10:15 AM
Just saw an ESPN notification on my phone, and now see this link (http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/08/sources-pitt-has-fired-kevin-stallings/) that Kevin Stallings it out at Pitt.

ChillinDuke
03-08-2018, 10:24 AM
Just saw an ESPN notification on my phone, and now see this link (http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/08/sources-pitt-has-fired-kevin-stallings/) that Kevin Stallings it out at Pitt.

Wow, that's pretty surprising. He only got 2 years there, and he had a decent history at Vandy. Not sure why they wouldn't give him at least 2 more years. Feel like 4 years is a standard "cycle" for a new coach.

Obviously, I wasn't particularly impressed with his coaching this year to get Pitt any semblance of competitiveness in the conference. Losing Cam Johnson was certainly a net negative for this season.

- Chillin

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM
Wow, that's pretty surprising. He only got 2 years there, and he had a decent history at Vandy. Not sure why they wouldn't give him at least 2 more years. Feel like 4 years is a standard "cycle" for a new coach.

Obviously, I wasn't particularly impressed with his coaching this year to get Pitt any semblance of competitiveness in the conference. Losing Cam Johnson was certainly a net negative for this season.

- Chillin

Weird that they'd rather pay 10 million to fire him than to give him another season to right the ship.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-08-2018, 10:43 AM

- Chillin

I just finished reading an article that was linked from the DBR home page about the sad state of the Pitt program. I believe it said he has a buyout of close to $10 million. They had asked him to reduce it but he had declined. I think his lack of success is compounded by a somewhat toxic personality, which might have expedited his departure. And the AD who hired him (under unique circumstances) is no longer there to support him.

I know that when Stallings was hired there was a big push by many for them to hire former player/assistant coach Brandin Knight, who ended up as an assistant at Rutgers. I would think that might be a smart move as they could probably get him at a reasonable price and he has strong ties to the NY/NJ area that Pitt has historically harvested for players as he grew up there and now is working there, and he obviously has great ties to the school.

dudog84
03-08-2018, 10:53 AM

- Chillin

Really not surprised at this. Not only is their record terrible, their recruiting might be worse. I don't think he has ever gotten a top-100 player, and recruiting is the life's blood of any program. Being a great Xs and Os coach might get you some success, but it will also get you some recognition for that and therefore players. Things were not going to get better.

I was never impressed with the hire. Pitt is smart to move on. Should've been smart 2 years ago.

OldPhiKap
03-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Stallings was a disaster from the get-go, Pitt is smart to just cut and run.

Thad Motta is interviewing at Ole Miss today and UGA fans are mentioning him if/when Mark Fox gets fired. Pitt would be smart to talk to him.

FerryFor50
03-08-2018, 11:34 AM

Thad Motta is interviewing at Ole Miss today and UGA fans are mentioning him if/when Mark Fox gets fired. Pitt would be smart to talk to him.

Ugh. I don't want that smarmy dude anywhere near the ACC.

UrinalCake
03-08-2018, 11:53 AM
Not a big shock after a winless season in the ACC. Maybe beating ND could have saved his job. It’s too bad they didn’t give him more time, he was starting five freshmen, his best player from last season transferred away and his most experienced player this season got injured. I feel like he deserved more time to see what he could do.

Who is Pitt going to be able to hire now? They ran off Jamie Dixon who was consistently making the tournament, then gave Stallings the ax after two seasons. What Coach in their right mind would want to go there?

uh_no
03-08-2018, 11:56 AM
Not a big shock after a winless season in the ACC. Maybe beating ND could have saved his job. It’s too bad they didn’t give him more time, he was starting five freshmen, his best player from last season transferred away and his most experienced player this season got injured. I feel like he deserved more time to see what he could do.

Who is Pitt going to be able to hire now? They ran off Jamie Dixon who was consistently making the tournament, then gave Stallings the ax after two seasons. What Coach in their right mind would want to go there?

i'm guessing kevin ollie will be looking for a job in the near future...

devildeac
03-08-2018, 12:01 PM

- Chillin

Always a good plan to blame the h**ls. :rolleyes:

wilson
03-08-2018, 12:02 PM

Who is Pitt going to be able to hire now? They ran off Jamie Dixon who was consistently making the tournament, then gave Stallings the ax after two seasons. What Coach in their right mind would want to go there?Deadspin did a really good piece (https://deadspin.com/who-killed-pitt-basketball-1823270654) on Pitt's decline earlier this week. Among other things, they pointed out that Stallings was an unpopular hire in the first place, and that AD Scott Barnes, who hired him, left Pitt 9 months later (after a total tenure of only 18 months at Pitt), leaving Stallings with little administrative support.
I'm not sure I agree with the notion that Pitt "ran off Jamie Dixon"; it looked more to me like Dixon really wanted to go to TCU (his alma mater), and Pitt made it easier for him to leave by decreasing his contractually mandated buyout (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15035722/jamie-dixon-leaving-pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job), partly because Pitt basketball was in at least a soft decline already (http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/9379837-74/pitt-dixon-panthers) following the move from the Big East to the ACC.
At any rate, the program is an undeniable train wreck right now. It will be interesting to see what kind of nibbles they can get from potential hire, and for anyone, that looks to be a long road back to where the program was 8-10 years ago.

kAzE
03-08-2018, 12:03 PM
Kevin Stallings is a good coach, but perhaps this just wasn't a good fit. 0-19 in the league is hard to defend.

Stallings will land somewhere. His career record still looks pretty good overall. The ACC just might not the best place for him, and this move might actually be better for Stallings than Pitt. Pittsburgh basketball doesn't sound like a great organization to work for at the moment.

dukelifer
03-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Look to some mid-major than gets to th sweet 16. The hire will need to be young as Pitt needs to pay 10M to buyout.

devilseven
03-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Always a good plan to blame the h**ls. :rolleyes:

Yes, his ole buddy Roy, recruited and stole his best player, Cam Johnson. Maybe Roy will help him get another job.

sagegrouse
03-08-2018, 12:36 PM
Really not surprised at this. Not only is their record terrible, their recruiting might be worse. I don't think he has ever gotten a top-100 player, and recruiting is the life's blood of any program. Being a great Xs and Os coach might get you some success, but it will also get you some recognition for that and therefore players. Things were not going to get better.

I was never impressed with the hire. Pitt is smart to move on. Should've been smart 2 years ago.

Moreover, the good players he inherited -- and there were a few, including Cam Johnson -- bailed on him.

jimsumner
03-08-2018, 12:39 PM
Ten millions dollars to not coach Pitt.

Is this a great country or what?

For the record, I'd take a lot less to not coach Pitt.

rthomas
03-08-2018, 12:54 PM

Calling Pitt smart? Pitt is a dumb***. They should have never run their previous coach out of town. He has now taken TCU from 4 losing seasons to 2 20+ win seasons.

Jamie Dixon is looking like a pretty good coach, right now.

kako
03-08-2018, 01:07 PM
The hire will need to be young as Pitt needs to pay 10M to buyout.

They'd be smart to give a young coach that's had success in the mid or lower majors a chance rather than go with another retread. South Dakota State out of the Summit has made the post-season consistently this decade, though T.J. Otzelberger has only coached them since 2016. And he has a pro prospect in Mike Daum - when he leaves, what will happen? But how worse could Pitt get? Roll the dice. Turned out well for Duke.

dudog84
03-08-2018, 01:10 PM
Calling Pitt smart? Pitt is a dumb***. They should have never run their previous coach out of town. He has now taken TCU from 4 losing seasons to 2 20+ win seasons.

Jamie Dixon is looking like a pretty good coach, right now.

Just nitpicking, but Jamie Dixon has always looked like a pretty good coach. Just never did very well in the NCAAs.

wilson
03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

Jamie Dixon is looking like a pretty good coach, right now.Pitt did not run Dixon out. He wanted to go to TCU because it's his alma mater. Pitt had been in something of a slide up until then, and then Pitt actually decreased his buyout in order to allow him to pursue a job he wanted. They might not have moved mountains to keep him, but they didn't push him out.

chris13
03-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Ten millions dollars to not coach Pitt.

Is this a great country or what?

For the record, I'd take a lot less to not coach Pitt.

I do get why Stallings wouldn't reduce his buyout. Here take 10 million to do nothing or work another year, get your head beat in and then we'll fire you and give you less of a buyout.

Sounds like he was not a good fit from the get go and only took the job because Vandy was thinking of showing him the door.

RPS
03-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Yes, his ole buddy Roy, recruited and stole his best player, Cam Johnson. Maybe Roy will help him get another job.Coaches change jobs all the time despite existing contracts but a player who graduates with remaining eligibility and transfers -- typically the only hoops transfer that doesn't require sitting out a year (Elliot Williams notwithstanding) -- is "stolen"? That's horribly unfair to players, who have all too few rights once they commit to a school. Kids can't transfer freely, leave when their coaches leave, etc. But their scholarships can be pulled for any or no reason on a year-to-year basis.

DangerDevil
03-10-2018, 10:24 AM
ESPN reports that Ollie is out at UCONN, for cause.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Coaches change jobs all the time despite existing contracts but a player who graduates with remaining eligibility and transfers -- typically the only hoops transfer that doesn't require sitting out a year (Elliot Williams notwithstanding) -- is "stolen"? That's horribly unfair to players, who have all too few rights once they commit to a school. Kids can't transfer freely, leave when their coaches leave, etc. But their scholarships can be pulled for any or no reason on a year-to-year basis.

The scholarships should not be able to be pulled, and I don't know how often that happens, in basketball at least. As for it being horribly unfair, I would not go that far. By the time you are 17-18, you should realize that the school is permanent, the coach is not. Coaches get fired, get sick, take other jobs all the time. This is not a secret. This is life, with any student or any job applicant or anything else. That's not to say there aren't some tweaks that would be appropriate, but every year we learn that coaches are not permanent.

CameronBornAndBred
03-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Georgia has an opening available.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22714343/georgia-bulldogs-part-ways-mark-fox

CameronBornAndBred
03-10-2018, 03:07 PM

ECU just negotiated a buyout with their AD. He wasn't very popular, with fans even hiring a plane to fly over the football stadium with a banner saying "Fire Compher". (He was instantly despised when he fired FB coach Ruffin McNeill, and Scottie Montgomery unfortunately hasn't done much to back up his decision.)
So the new AD will get a chance to make a statement hire when he looks at the basketball coach position. Seeing as how the Pirates ended the season at 10-15, it's safe to say the interim guy won't be keeping the job.

SavDukeGrad
03-10-2018, 04:32 PM
Georgia has an opening available.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22714343/georgia-bulldogs-part-ways-mark-fox

The scuttlebutt here in Georgia is that Tom Crean is high on their list.

TruBlu
03-10-2018, 05:12 PM

You would think Georgia would be gun shy about hiring slimeballs after their experience with Harrick.

MartyClark
03-10-2018, 05:31 PM
You would think Georgia would be gun shy about hiring slimeballs after their experience with Harrick.

What have I missed on Crean? I know he has an odd personality and antagonized some people at I.U. Not arguing but I don't know what you are referring to.

TruBlu
03-10-2018, 05:34 PM
What have I missed on Crean? I know he has an odd personality and antagonized some people at I.U. Not arguing but I don't know what you are referring to.

Yep. I think I had him confused with someone else in a galaxy far far away. Sorry bout that.

burnspbesq
03-11-2018, 11:01 AM
ESPN reports that Ollie is out at UCONN, for cause.

To be completely accurate, the espn.com article says the school has started a “disciplinary process” with the apparent objective of firing him for cause. Whether they are serious about that, or whether it’s a negotiating ploy, time will tell.

ESPN speculating that Dan Hurley is the leading candidate for both Pitt and UConn. If anyone would like to try convincing me that either of those situations are better than URI, I’m willing to listen.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-11-2018, 12:11 PM
To be completely accurate, the espn.com article says the school has started a “disciplinary process” with the apparent objective of firing him for cause. Whether they are serious about that, or whether it’s a negotiating ploy, time will tell.

ESPN speculating that Dan Hurley is the leading candidate for both Pitt and UConn. If anyone would like to try convincing me that either of those situations are better than URI, I’m willing to listen.

I think UConn is a terrible basketball job now, with their conference affiliation. Pitt would get the nod over URI in many people's minds simply due to the ACC. That said, URI might be a better fit for Danny Hurley. It's closer to his roots, and much more similar in culture to his roots.

I would not try to convince you either is better, only would say UConn is a death bed for future coaches, and Pitt is debatable.

BandAlum83
03-11-2018, 12:22 PM

10 million buyout for being axed after 2 years? I think plenty of coaches would take a contract like that.

DU82
03-11-2018, 12:44 PM

He turned down a P5 job at Rutgers, his home state, to stay at URI. I would be surprised if he jumped to Pitt.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Someone on sports radio this morning was throwing around Pitino as a possible replacement in Pitt.

Are they completely talking out of their posterior, or is this being discussed?

burnspbesq
03-11-2018, 01:36 PM
He turned down a P5 job at Rutgers, his home state, to stay at URI. I would be surprised if he jumped to Pitt.

As a Jersey guy, I don’t have any difficulty understanding that.

budwom
03-11-2018, 01:43 PM
I think UConn is a terrible basketball job now, with their conference affiliation. Pitt would get the nod over URI in many people's minds simply due to the ACC. That said, URI might be a better fit for Danny Hurley. It's closer to his roots, and much more similar in culture to his roots.

I would not try to convince you either is better, only would say UConn is a death bed for future coaches, and Pitt is debatable.

And a tip of the hat (once again) to BC for relegating UCONN to hoop irrelevance. Thank you, Beagles!

brevity
03-13-2018, 10:45 AM
Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine, Mark Gottfried to California State Northridge (http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-mark-gottfried-csun-20180312-story.html) (per Los Angeles Times).

The article points out that both were assistant coaches on UCLA's 1995 title team. I mention that because...

And former UCLA coach Jim Harrick could be joining Gottfried.

Harrick said Monday: "I'm back in it," but wouldn't reveal specifics pending a Tuesday news conference.

This is fun. Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are back in the NCAA Tournament. Anything goes, and everything old and dirty is new and clean again. Where's the petition to make Rick Pitino the next ACC Commissioner?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-13-2018, 10:56 AM
[URL="http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-mark-gottfried-csun-20180312-story.html"]

This is fun. Bruce Pearl and Kelvin Sampson are back in the NCAA Tournament. Anything goes, and everything old and dirty is new and clean again. Where's the petition to make Rick Pitino the next ACC Commissioner?

I didn't realize Sampson was now HC at Houston.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-13-2018, 10:59 AM
And a tip of the hat (once again) to BC for relegating UCONN to hoop irrelevance. Thank you, Beagles!

A number of years ago, a televised U-CON game featured a lot of their fans in DUCK FUKE tee shirts......and they weren't even playing Duke. Made me despise them even more (which was already at a high level, given the "screw Shavlik Randolph" semi final fiasco and Calhoun's smarmy comments afterwards.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-13-2018, 11:01 AM
Lorenzo Romar to Pepperdine, Mark Gottfried to California State Northridge (http://www.latimes.com/la-sp-mark-gottfried-csun-20180312-story.html) (per Los Angeles Times).

The article points out that both were assistant coaches on UCLA's 1995 title team. I mention that because...

Harrick turns 80 this summer. I wonder what his role will be. At this rate, perhaps Myron Piggie and Fats Thomas are in line for assistant jobs somewhere...

ChillinDuke
03-13-2018, 11:33 AM

LOL.

It is fun, now isn't it?

- Chillin

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Someone on sports radio this morning was throwing around Pitino as a possible replacement in Pitt.

Could the ACC step in? "Umm, that guy has embarrassed this league twice now, so no."

BD80
03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

The interview lasted less than a minute ...

devildeac
03-13-2018, 01:42 PM
I didn't realize Sampson was now HC at Houston.

Kelvin called me. (clap, clap, clap/clap/clap)

(maybe you had to be at CIS for that game :o)

Turk
03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Pitt using Fogler Consulting to help with its search (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/13/pitt-coaching-search-eddie-fogler-consulting-firm-kevin-stallings-fired-pittsburgh-candidates/stories/201803130107)

Yes, that Fogler. He's in the basketball headhunting business now! I like some of the guys he's placed (too bad Tony Bennett wasn't on that list), and I'm glad I don't see any unc retreads (DOH!) or suspected sleazeballs on there. So I see this as a good move by Pitt to use a firm run by someone who actually wasn't bad at coaching basketball.

Pitt is learning from its mistakes, when the former AD, Scott "West Coast Basketball Guy" Barnes paid some executive search firm run by his former boss (another AD, not a coach) at least $1,000,000,000,000 to dig up a 55 year old mediocrity like Kevin Stallings before beating feet to Oregon State.

And then those hypocrites had the nerve to give Cam Johnson a hard time when he wanted to transfer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2018, 01:56 PM
The interview lasted less than a minute ...

Thanks. I was in the car and listening to one of my least favorite sports radio programs, so I am pleased to learn it isn't resonating anywhere else.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2018, 01:57 PM
Pitt using Fogler Consulting to help with its search (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/13/pitt-coaching-search-eddie-fogler-consulting-firm-kevin-stallings-fired-pittsburgh-candidates/stories/201803130107)

Yes, that Fogler. He's in the basketball headhunting business now! I like some of the guys he's placed (too bad Tony Bennett wasn't on that list), and I'm glad I don't see any unc retreads (DOH!) or suspected sleazeballs on there. So I see this as a good move by Pitt to use a firm run by someone who actually wasn't bad at coaching basketball.

Pitt is learning from its mistakes, when the former AD, Scott "West Coast Basketball Guy" Barnes paid some executive search firm run by his former boss (another AD, not a coach) at least $1,000,000,000,000 to dig up a 55 year old mediocrity like Kevin Stallings before beating feet to Oregon State.

And then those hypocrites had the nerve to give Cam Johnson a hard time when he wanted to transfer.

I wonder if Fogler will use the Dick-Chaney-heading-the-VP-search-committee trick of '00.

freshmanjs
03-13-2018, 02:07 PM
I wonder if Fogler will use the Dick-Chaney-heading-the-VP-search-committee trick of '00.

Fogler does lots of searches. This is his business now.

freshmanjs
03-13-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks. I was in the car and listening to one of my least favorite sports radio programs, so I am pleased to learn it isn't resonating anywhere else.

That was a joke about Pitino's "performance" ...

FerryFor50
03-13-2018, 02:12 PM
That was a joke about Pitino's "performance" ...

Scenes From an Italian Restaurant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUz48xw_OiM

devildeac
03-13-2018, 02:17 PM
Harrick turns 80 this summer. I wonder what his role will be. At this rate, perhaps Myron Piggie and Fats Thomas are in line for assistant jobs somewhere...

Academic advisor?

:rolleyes:

(Do I get 3 points for my answer?)

:o

devildeac
03-13-2018, 02:19 PM

Well, the current one is also well experienced in, umm, irregularities.

:mad:

TKG
03-13-2018, 02:27 PM

As two Dean Smith lackies, wonder if Fogler will get Jeff Lebo an interview with Pitt? Or maybe Jordan will find a place on the Hornets bench for Lebo...

wilson
03-13-2018, 02:50 PM

You would think Georgia would be gun shy about hiring slimeballs after their experience with Harrick.Thad Matta has reportedly been offered the Georgia job (https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/after-visit-athens-thad-matta-remains-main-target-for-uga/UKSZr566zbBK4ALhhmTPUK/), with a decision expected by tomorrow.

SavDukeGrad
03-13-2018, 03:14 PM
Thad Matta has reportedly been offered the Georgia job (https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/after-visit-athens-thad-matta-remains-main-target-for-uga/UKSZr566zbBK4ALhhmTPUK/), with a decision expected by tomorrow.
Interesting.... My comment came from a conversation with someone whom I consider to be very "plugged in" to the goings on in Athens. I saw later that it was also being reported by some in the national media, at least at Sporting News. These from Saturday:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-coaching-rumors-tom-crean-georgia-bulldogs-news-update/1bjsu03e3blkf13ihplq0om33d

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/mark-fox-fired-georgia-basketball-ncaa-college-tom-crean-coach/1n9eyh6d3iwbs1df6lol75cjw2

It will be interesting to see what happens....

Reilly
03-13-2018, 03:41 PM
As two Dean Smith lackies, wonder if Fogler will get Jeff Lebo an interview with Pitt? Or maybe Jordan will find a place on the Hornets bench for Lebo...

It's time for another Larry Brown re-appearance, isn't it?

BD80
03-13-2018, 03:45 PM

I think the appropriate term is "lay-over" ...

OldPhiKap
03-13-2018, 03:54 PM

"infestation" came to my mind.

MChambers
03-13-2018, 05:46 PM

Hire Larry and you get his suitcase, too!

mgtr
03-13-2018, 06:25 PM

Then maybe they should hire Rick Pitino!;)

Reilly
03-13-2018, 11:57 PM
Terrific David Teel piece on how UVa got Tony Bennett:

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/uva/dp-spt-tony-bennett-uva-0314-story.html

BD80
03-14-2018, 01:30 PM
Tubby canned: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22761317/coach-tubby-smith-fired-memphis-tigers-21-win-season

No Matta in Georgia: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22761186/former-ohio-state-coach-thad-matta-says-withdrawn-georgia-coach-search

Owen Meany
03-14-2018, 01:36 PM
Tubby canned: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22761317/coach-tubby-smith-fired-memphis-tigers-21-win-season

No Matta in Georgia: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22761186/former-ohio-state-coach-thad-matta-says-withdrawn-georgia-coach-search

There have been rumors Memphis intended to fore Tubby and bring in Anfernee Hardaway. As an added bonus, Hardaway would bring James Wiseman, #1 2019 recruit, with him, who some think was a Kentucky lock.

devildeac
03-14-2018, 01:39 PM
There have been rumors Memphis intended to fore Tubby and bring in Anfernee Hardaway. As an added bonus, Hardaway would bring James Wiseman, #1 2019 recruit, with him, who some think was a Kentucky lock.

And, if those dots become connected, Cal might still find a way to throw some shade at K.:rolleyes:

Oh, wait, wrong thread. :p

Truth&Justise
03-14-2018, 01:48 PM

It's no-matta, they can try to hire Crean.

BD80
03-14-2018, 01:54 PM
It's no-matta, they can try to hire Crean.

A Crean slate?

devildeac
03-14-2018, 02:04 PM
A Crean slate?

Tom'mon now, you can do better than that.

Green Wave Dukie
03-14-2018, 02:46 PM
A Crean slate?

Hey BD80, if they don't think they hire Crean, then hoosier choice?

BD80
03-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Not sure, but I hear Georgia's bullish on a couple dogs ...

HereBeforeCoachK
03-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Wojo? Marquette down.

Turk
03-14-2018, 03:10 PM
Ollie know is what I read on the interwebz.

devildeac
03-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Ah, then's not all well in the Peach State.

BD80
03-14-2018, 03:39 PM
Pitt trying to Crean house?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22763005/pittsburgh-panthers-meet-tom-crean-opening-basketball-coach

DangerDevil
03-15-2018, 09:34 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22782850/georgia-bulldogs-finalize-deal-hire-tom-crean-new-head-coach

AtlDuke72
03-15-2018, 09:41 PM
Crean was a disaster at Indiana. Why would anyone think he can win at Georgia?

OldPhiKap
03-15-2018, 09:48 PM

He did really well at Marquette, and was both a national COY and a conference COY at IU IIRC. He ain’t chopped liver.

His stint at Indiana did not end well. Some of that was his fault, some was not.

Once Matta said “no,” this may be the best option out there. The other names being floated were Tubby and Pitino. Ugh and ugh.

Reilly
03-15-2018, 10:35 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22782850/georgia-bulldogs-finalize-deal-hire-tom-crean-new-head-coach

So you don't think the hire is just peachy-crean?

gocanes0506
03-15-2018, 10:49 PM

UGA, along with the rest of the SEC, are looking to improve their basketball footprint. They are hiring big names to give the program some allure.

WiJoe
03-15-2018, 11:16 PM
He did really well at Marquette, and was both a national COY and a conference COY at IU IIRC. He ain’t chopped liver.

His stint at Indiana did not end well. Some of that was his fault, some was not.

Once Matta said “no,” this may be the best option out there. The other names being floated were Tubby and Pitino. Ugh and ugh.

Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade. The previous coach, Mike Deane, and his staff were in on Wade before the high-heeled tan man got there. Crean has so little class that his final marquette team found out he was leaving for Hoosierville via espn. He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. Good riddance. The further away from Wisconsin he is, the better.

Which group voted him coach of the year at Marquette?

OldPhiKap
03-15-2018, 11:43 PM
Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade. The previous coach, Mike Deane, and his staff were in on Wade before the high-heeled tan man got there. Crean has so little class that his final marquette team found out he was leaving for Hoosierville via espn. He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. Good riddance. The further away from Wisconsin he is, the better.

Wow.

I ain’t pumping Crean, but when someone is attacking a guy’s wife well — it’s beyond me,

Not trying to build a case for Crean. But Matta, Shaka Smart, and Chris Mack apparently already said no. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ex-indiana-coach-tom-crean-finalizing-deal-to-take-over-georgia-basketball/ . So, who should they hire — Pitino? Lebo?

WiJoe
03-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Wow.

I ain’t pumping Crean, but when someone is attacking a guy’s wife well — it’s beyond me,

Not trying to build a case for Crean. But Matta, Shaka Smart, and Chris Mack apparently already said no. https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ex-indiana-coach-tom-crean-finalizing-deal-to-take-over-georgia-basketball/ . So, who should they hire — Pitino? Lebo?

I don't care who they hire. But six years. His agent must be one of the best ever. If memory serves (shaky), he got an extension at Indiana before he coached a game.

Geez, all I typed was his wife was a beauty. Hardly attacking. Believe me, I could have hammered her.

Attack: take aggressive action against (a place or enemy forces) with weapons or armed force, typically in a battle or war.

YmoBeThere
03-16-2018, 04:12 AM

So, Wade played in Crean's 3rd and 4th seasons at Marquette, but all credit goes to the prior coach?

And how was he fraudulent?

I'm no Crean fan but while 4 trips to the Sweet Sixteen may only make him a couple better than Kevin Stallings, it doesn't really support your fraud claims.

BD80
03-16-2018, 06:20 AM
Crean a 100% fraud. ... He's married to Harbaugh's sister, another beauty. Yuck. ...

Which Harbaugh? John or Jim?

She may not be a beauty, but I thought we were above that sort of thing since the Crazies were chastised for voting Mike O'Koren to the All-ACC ugly team.

TKG
03-16-2018, 07:55 AM

I am a little confused as to where you stand on this issue.......

Steven43
03-16-2018, 01:24 PM
UGA, along with the rest of the SEC, are looking to improve their basketball footprint. They are hiring big names to give the program some allure.

I get it, but is Tom Crean actually a big name? Who other than basketball junkies has even the slightest clue who he is?

53n206
03-16-2018, 02:22 PM

You have any skin in the game?

Dev11
03-16-2018, 02:24 PM
I get it, but is Tom Crean actually a big name? Who other than basketball junkies has even the slightest clue who he is?

How big of a name could Georgia get? He's been to a Final Four, although not recently, and he won a couple Big Ten regular season titles at a famous program. That's pretty good for Georgia.

ChillinDuke
03-16-2018, 02:33 PM

How big of a name could Georgia get? He's been to a Final Four, although not recently, and he won a couple Big Ten regular season titles at a famous program. That's pretty good for Georgia.

Even more to the point than Dev, how many "Big Names" even exist? I wouldn't call more than 15-20 coaches a Big Name. Whether or not Crean is in that group is certainly debatable. He would be cuspy.

And then from there, could Georgia really land a Big Name? I probably could name 15-20 programs that should be in the market for a Big Name. Georgia would not be on my list, and they would probably not be cuspy.

So from that perspective (my perspective), they did well here.

- Chillin

-bdbd
03-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Any Duke-connected assistants potentially in play for HC gigs this off-season? Such as Capel, or Carrawell (under Wojo at Marquette), or an upgrade for a former Duke assistant?

I hear that Pitt may have an opening...
(but no team left!)

Wildling
03-16-2018, 02:45 PM
Crean a 100% fraud. Had one exceptional season at Marquette, thanks to another fraud, Wade.

Why is Wade a fraud? He's one of the few NBA players that I have a major amount of respect for on, and more importantly off the court.

Listening to the talking heads today, it's widely assumed Miller is going to lose his job in Arizona? This would be a shame considering there has been no proof of any wrongdoing. I fear for this country watching a lot of people being assumed guilty in the court of public appeal over allegations that may, or may not be true. The fire them, or suspend them, and ask questions after mentality is worrisome.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 02:50 PM
Why is Wade a fraud? He's one of the few NBA players that I have a major amount of respect for on, and more importantly off the court.

Listening to the talking heads today, it's widely assumed Miller is going to lose his job in Arizona? This would be a shame considering there has been no proof of any wrongdoing.

Well, his team was evidence of wrongdoing last night.

I would suggest that would be strong rationale for dismissal.

devildeac
03-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Even more to the point than Dev, how many "Big Names" even exist? I wouldn't call more than 15-20 coaches a Big Name. Whether or not Crean is in that group is certainly debatable. He would be cuspy.

And then from there, could Georgia really land a Big Name? I probably could name 15-20 programs that should be in the market for a Big Name. Georgia would not be on my list, and they would probably not be cuspy.

So from that perspective (my perspective), they did well here.

- Chillin

Krystkowiak is a pretty "big name." Not sure he's available.

BD80
03-16-2018, 03:21 PM
Krystkowiak is a pretty "big name." Not sure he's available.

One letter bigger than Krzyzewski

devildeac
03-16-2018, 03:28 PM
One letter bigger than Krzyzewski

Yep, I counted it out before posting. ;)

Wojciechowski. Even bigger. But can't coach bigs.

Also, likely not available.

Turk
03-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Well, his team was evidence of wrongdoing last night.

I would suggest that would be strong rationale for dismissal.

I beg to differ. When you get to the NCAAT often enough, this happens to everyone. Need I remind folks of VCU, Lehigh, Mercer?
Ol Roy, Bill Self, Boeheim have all had their misadventures.

#13 Marshall is getting ready to take out #4 Wichita St right now. Should Gregg Marshall be dismissed?

Let's see what the FBI actually files in court or the NCAA charges Arizona before writing off Sean Miller.

duke79
03-16-2018, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised that Jeff Capel's name has not been mentioned with some of these openings. Given his talent for recruiting and his long-time association with Coach K, I would think he would be in demand (but what do I know?).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2018, 04:00 PM
I beg to differ. When you get to the NCAAT often enough, this happens to everyone. Need I remind folks of VCU, Lehigh, Mercer?
Ol Roy, Bill Self, Boeheim have all had their misadventures.

#13 Marshall is getting ready to take out #4 Wichita St right now. Should Gregg Marshall be dismissed?

Let's see what the FBI actually files in court or the NCAA charges Arizona before writing off Sean Miller.

My point is his chronic underachieving in March and lack of any recruits might leave him without a job. I was mostly being snarky about last night, but yes, I think a team that seems to always have lots of talent and can't get maximize results might get you fired with or without the FBI.

BD80
03-16-2018, 04:21 PM
... #13 Marshall is getting ready to take out #4 Wichita St right now. Should Gregg Marshall be dismissed?

Marshall beat Marshall?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Marshall beat Marshall?

It was the Marshall Plan

OldPhiKap
03-16-2018, 04:33 PM
Marshall beat Marshall?

Kind of like a team of tiny Ditka's against one full-sized Ditka.

superdave
03-17-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm surprised that Jeff Capel's name has not been mentioned with some of these openings. Given his talent for recruiting and his long-time association with Coach K, I would think he would be in demand (but what do I know?).

I assume Capel is seen as untouchable because he has bigger things coming. He turned down Arizona State and maybe 1-2 other jobs the last few years. Plus he's filled Coach K's shoes on an interim basis.

Turk
03-17-2018, 09:52 AM
"Sources" say that Thad Matta has interviewed with Pitt. The current AD, Heather Lykes, was working in the Ohio State athletic department when Matta was coaching there. The biggest concern about Matta is his health, but I think he would be very good at Pitt.

As for the current players asking for their release, that's exactly what they should do to keep their options open. If they can find a better school or basketball situation, they should be allowed to go for it. (Maybe they might even follow Kevin Stallings to his next job, since there's so much unfinished work for them to do.)

Thad Matta interviews with Pitt (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/16/thad-matta-pitt-coaching-search-pittsburgh-panthers-ohio-state-heather-lyke/stories/201803160165)

dudog84
03-17-2018, 02:23 PM
"Sources" say that Thad Matta has interviewed with Pitt. The current AD, Heather Lykes, was working in the Ohio State athletic department when Matta was coaching there. The biggest concern about Matta is his health, but I think he would be very good at Pitt.

As for the current players asking for their release, that's exactly what they should do to keep their options open. If they can find a better school or basketball situation, they should be allowed to go for it. (Maybe they might even follow Kevin Stallings to his next job, since there's so much unfinished work for them to do.)

Thad Matta interviews with Pitt (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2018/03/16/thad-matta-pitt-coaching-search-pittsburgh-panthers-ohio-state-heather-lyke/stories/201803160165)

Kevin Stallings' next job!?!?! Where might that be? :D I know you're probably thinking some mid-major will pick him up, but if I'm an AD I'm taking a shot at a young coach. Or maybe that was sarcasm.

Edit: I had to check out my view of him, that was a bit knee-jerk. But in 25 years as a head coach he's made the Sweet 16 twice. 16 of those years he hasn't even made the NCAAs. In the last 6 years, he lost in the First Four. He needs to take his buy-out and put his feet up. If I was a Pitt booster/donor I'd be pretty livid right now.

BD80
03-17-2018, 03:49 PM

How about UMBC's coach? Pretty hot candidate right now ...

SavDukeGrad
03-17-2018, 05:07 PM
How about UMBC's coach? Pretty hot candidate right now ...

Ryan Odom, Dave Odom's son. Dave was an assistant at UVa, and he was head coach at Wake Forest and South Carolina. Dave coached Tim Duncan. Ryan definitely has ACC roots.

DangerDevil
03-17-2018, 05:25 PM
Ryan Odom, Dave Odom's son. Dave was an assistant at UVa, and he was head coach at Wake Forest and South Carolina. Dave coached Tim Duncan. Ryan definitely has ACC roots.

And he was born in Durham.

Spanarkel
03-17-2018, 05:27 PM

Matta told UGA 3 days ago that he wasn't going to be able to give the school what it deserves.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/matta-back-home-mulling-lucrative-offer-from-georgia/eT6YDAAOfd1BJiptuUYgGL/

OldPhiKap
03-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Matta told UGA 3 days ago that he wasn't going to be able to give the school what it deserves.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/matta-back-home-mulling-lucrative-offer-from-georgia/eT6YDAAOfd1BJiptuUYgGL/

Maybe Pitt deserves less?

BD80
03-17-2018, 06:02 PM

Maybe Pitt deserves less?

Sounds a little bit like: "It's not you, it's me..."

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 07:05 PM
Danny Hurley's name should get floated around. i am very impressed with his coaching, his manner, his class.

Then again, he might be one of those guys who digs in at a mid major and becomes an institution. URI seems to suit him.

sagegrouse
03-17-2018, 07:10 PM
Danny Hurley's name should get floated around. i am very impressed with his coaching, his manner, his class.

Then again, he might be one of those guys who digs in at a mid major and becomes an institution. URI seems to suit him.

Oh, I think Hurley is definitely in play. He grew up in New Jersey, played at Seton Hall and coached at Wagner and URI. I don't see him straying far from the Northeast.

freshmanjs
03-17-2018, 07:11 PM
Oh, I think Hurley is definitely in play. He grew up in New Jersey, played at Seton Hall and coached at Wagner and URI. I don't see him straying far from the Northeast.

UConn

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 07:20 PM
UConn

I don't think so. That's not a very good job anymore.

DangerDevil
03-17-2018, 07:45 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22811216/rhode-island-rams-coach-dan-hurley-not-ready-talk-potential-job-openings-ncaa-tournament-loss

"Listen, I could give a crap about who's got an opening anywhere," Hurley said.

“Sources also told ESPN that Pittsburgh is interested in Hurley, but he would prefer UConn over a Panthers program in which nine players have received their release to explore a transfer.”

HereBeforeCoachK
03-17-2018, 10:21 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22811216/rhode-island-rams-coach-dan-hurley-not-ready-talk-potential-job-openings-ncaa-tournament-loss

So tacky and untimely and inappropriate to ask that question right after an NCAAT loss. Sometimes the media is easy to loathe.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2018, 11:46 PM
So tacky and untimely and inappropriate to ask that question right after an NCAAT loss. Sometimes the media is easy to loathe.

But it is funny when it is Roy. Seriously.

BD80
03-18-2018, 02:57 PM

“Sources also told ESPN that Pittsburgh is interested in Hurley, but he would prefer UConn over a Panthers program in which nine players have received their release to explore a transfer.”

Danny is only 45?

Great googly moogly, he looks 60+

sagegrouse
03-18-2018, 04:12 PM
Danny is only 45?

He is 59, per Google (https://www.google.com/search?q=danny+ainge+date+of+birth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1).

HereBeforeCoachK
03-18-2018, 04:15 PM
He is 59, per Google (https://www.google.com/search?q=danny+ainge+date+of+birth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1).

That's Danny Ainge....I believe the topic was Danny Hurley

MChambers
03-18-2018, 05:20 PM
That's Danny Ainge...I believe the topic was Danny Hurley

Danny Ferry is 52. Just sayin’.

dudog84
03-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Danny Bonaduce is 58.

Or am I getting off-topic?

Spanarkel
03-19-2018, 10:41 AM
Danny Bonaduce is 58.

Danny Federici was 58 when he passed. RIP.

devilseven
03-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Danny Devito is 74. Taxi anyone?

BD80
03-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Speaking of leprechauns, "Danny Boy" was written in 1910.

devildeac
03-19-2018, 10:51 AM

And Danny Thomas was born 1/6/12. Make Room.

BD80
03-19-2018, 11:57 AM
A Penny for Memphis' thoughts ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22834086/penny-hardaway-agrees-memphis-tigers-coach

Reilly
03-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Danny is only 45?

That's Danny Ainge...I believe the topic was Danny Hurley

Danny Ferry is 52. Just sayin’.

Danny Bonaduce is 58.

Danny Federici was 58 when he passed. RIP.

Who's your Danny? Battier.

dudog84
03-19-2018, 01:03 PM
A Penny for Memphis' thoughts ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22834086/penny-hardaway-agrees-memphis-tigers-coach

Penny Hardaway could be a really good hire for Memphis. Really good. Or he could be Danny Manning (though Manning is not at Kansas). Will be interesting at least, and I bet season ticket sales just went way up.

Troublemaker
03-19-2018, 01:06 PM
I assume Capel is seen as untouchable because he has bigger things coming. He turned down Arizona State and maybe 1-2 other jobs the last few years. Plus he's filled Coach K's shoes on an interim basis.

I think it's more that our cone of silence is impenetrable rather than that promises have been made. I wouldn't be surprised to see Coach Capel elsewhere within two years.

SavDukeGrad
03-19-2018, 01:08 PM
Penny Hardaway could be a really good hire for Memphis. Really good. Or he could be Danny Manning (though Manning is not at Kansas). Will be interesting at least, and I bet season ticket sales just went way up.

I hope he takes Wiseman with him. Kentucky fans have been pretty confident they were going to get him, whether he reclassifies or not.

BD80
03-19-2018, 01:23 PM
I hope he takes Wiseman with him. Kentucky fans have been pretty confident they were going to get him, whether he reclassifies or not.

Do you really think Memphis would give the HC hob and millions of $ to Penny if he WEREN'T bringing a significant asset?

sagegrouse
03-19-2018, 01:34 PM

That's the lyrics, written by an Englishman. The music is ancient. I once heard the famous Irish* flautist James Galway in a performance at the Kennedy Center. His remarks before the encore were, "Due to the shocking absence of Irish composers on the program tonight, I will try to fix that now. Actually, there are only two well-known Irish composers, Mr. Anonymous and Mr. Traditional." Then he played "Danny Boy," which was by Mr. Traditional ("Londonderry Air," I think).

Kindly,
Sage
*Belfast born and English trained, but Belfast is on the Emerald Isle. Besides, and who could doubt his Irishness with the name o' Galway?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-19-2018, 01:44 PM

Penny was hired for his local connections - I think he has ties to a number of really talented local recruits. Other than high school, he has virtually no coaching experience. One would hope that they hire someone with a lot of experience as his associate coach to help him along. Manning was an assistant at Kansas for about six years before getting the Tulsa job, so he was a lot more legit on that front, though I don't think he brought the recruiting connections that Penny has.

Owen Meany
03-19-2018, 01:53 PM
Penny was hired for his local connections - I think he has ties to a number of really talented local recruits. Other than high school, he has virtually no coaching experience. One would hope that they hire someone with a lot of experience as his associate coach to help him along. Manning was an assistant at Kansas for about six years before getting the Tulsa job, so he was a lot more legit on that front, though I don't think he brought the recruiting connections that Penny has.

Back when the Penny rumors started, it was said they he would bring Larry Brown on as an assistant. Seriously. And the initial rumors were dead on. Now to see if Wiseman follows him (I'm assuming he will).

rasputin
03-19-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm late to the thread (and for St. Patrick's Day), but this rendition of Danny Boy is priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULB_QisXSbs

DangerDevil
03-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Penny is a Memphis native.

Like you said, I think he was brought in mainly for his recruiting ties (not only is he Wiseman’s high school coach at East Memphis, I believe he has been the coach of his own AAU team that has/had several highly rated prospects). Following his NBA career he has been very involved in the Memphis sports scene (he was part of a group with Peyton Manning that attempted to buy the Grizziles), the other hope is that beyond bringing in better talent his local ties will increase local interest in the program.

budwom
03-19-2018, 02:22 PM
checking out a zillion games in the last few days, I was reminded of what a red hot commodity Shaka Smart was just a few years ago, and now he's kind of floundering at Texas...watching them
play, I'm just as happy we didn't end up with Mohamed Bamba...his on court demeanor doesn't seem especially positive (I admit I haven't watched more than a few times)...

dudog84
03-19-2018, 02:52 PM
I was about to say that recruiting is over 50% of college ball, but realize that is too simple/exaggerated. But it is very important at a major program. Mid-majors can get away with building a system and getting hot every 5-7 years in the NCAA, but Power 5 programs want more. While Memphis is not in a Power 5 conference, due to my age I consider them a major program and they have the history, recruiting base, and potential to be better than most Power 5 programs.

So anyway, you need both recruiting and coaching. Looking at Shaka Smart (who I don't think should be given up on yet) and countless other one-time HOT coaches just shows how getting the right coach is such a crap shoot.

And why we should feel VERY VERY lucky that we have Coach K...and that Tom Butters had patience.

BD80
03-19-2018, 03:10 PM
Tough week for UVA, they lose top assistant who has been with Bennett for 12 years:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22835648/charlotte-49ers-hire-virginia-assistant-ron-sanchez

OldPhiKap
03-19-2018, 03:12 PM
That's the lyrics, written by an Englishman. The music is ancient. I once heard the famous Irish* flautist James Galway in a performance at the Kennedy Center. His remarks before the encore were, "Due to the shocking absence of Irish composers on the program tonight, I will try to fix that now. Actually, there are only two well-known Irish composers, Mr. Anonymous and Mr. Traditional." Then he played "Danny Boy," which was by Mr. Traditional ("Londonderry Air," I think).

Kindly,
Sage
*Belfast born and English trained, but Belfast is on the Emerald Isle. Besides, and who could doubt his Irishness with the name o' Galway?

Last time I was in Ireland, several referred to Belfast and the six northern counties as "the unfinished business of 1916"

So, there's that.

Erin go Bragh!

Reilly
03-19-2018, 03:41 PM
... Memphis ... due to my age I consider them a major program and they have the history, recruiting base, and potential to be better than most Power 5 programs ...

Maybe Keith Lee or someone like him will be walking through that door?

-jk
03-19-2018, 03:52 PM
Last time I was in Ireland, several referred to Belfast and the six northern counties as "the unfinished business of 1916"

So, there's that.

Erin go Bragh!

I wear orange on St Pat's day. Magruder family tradition...

-jk

sagegrouse
03-19-2018, 03:54 PM
I wear orange on St Pat's day. Magruder family tradition...

-jk

Not in Boston, you won't.

Reddevil
03-19-2018, 03:59 PM
Maybe Keith Lee or someone like him will be walking through that door?

I think after the Dana Kirk era of questionable ethics they rebranded themselves Memphis instead of Memphis State.

On another note, if I were Pitt, I would be all over Musselman as soon as possible with a dumptruck full of cash and a six year guarantee.

RPS
03-19-2018, 05:14 PM
So anyway, you need both recruiting and coaching. Looking at Shaka Smart (who I don't think should be given up on yet) and countless other one-time HOT coaches just shows how getting the right coach is such a crap shoot.

And why we should feel VERY VERY lucky that we have Coach K...and that Tom Butters had patience.Smart's record at Texas after three years is way better than Coach K's after the same amount of time. There is very good reason to think that Shaka is very good. I'd be patient.

Troublemaker
03-19-2018, 05:39 PM
Smart's record at Texas after three years is way better than Coach K's after the same amount of time. There is very good reason to think that Shaka is very good. I'd be patient.

Shaka's situation is interesting because, through 3 years at Texas, he basically hasn't been able to implement his Havoc full-court defense. You would think it'd be EASIER to find the players and depth to play Havoc at Texas than at VCU, but that hasn't been the case.

The following Texas SBNation article (and the comments) provide some insight as to why: https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/3/18/17135370/shaka-smart-texas-longhorns-havoc-fullcourt-pressure-vcu

Dukehky
03-19-2018, 05:45 PM
Danny Hurley close to a deal with UConn.

-jk
03-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Not in Boston, you won't.

It was rough in Dur'm, too...

Family is family!

-jk

duke79
03-19-2018, 05:56 PM

UCon? Ugh.

Dev11
03-19-2018, 06:06 PM

Good for him if it means considerably more money, but at this point UConn and URI probably have similar trajectories. URI may not have cash reserves like Wichita has in the Koch fund that keeps Gregg Marshall around.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-19-2018, 08:13 PM
Good for him if it means considerably more money, but at this point UConn and URI probably have similar trajectories. URI may not have cash reserves like Wichita has in the Koch fund that keeps Gregg Marshall around.

UConn got hit harder by the big round of conference shifts than anyone else as none of the power 5 wanted them but they couldn't go back to the big east and abandon football. So they are stuck in a miserable purgatory of a second tier conference with lots of games all over the country and fans who still think they are a top tier program. You couldn't pay me enough to take that job.

And then compare it to Rhode Island, where most fans are thrilled to get to the second round. Dan should take a lesson from his dad, who turned down countless offers to stay at St Anthony's.

53n206
03-19-2018, 10:36 PM
[Q

And then compare it to Rhode Island, where most fans are thrilled to get to the second round. Dan should take a lesson from his dad, who turned down countless offers to stay at St Anthony's.[/QUOTE]

Cash talks

CrazyNotCrazie
03-20-2018, 09:04 AM
[Q

And then compare it to Rhode Island, where most fans are thrilled to get to the second round. Dan should take a lesson from his dad, who turned down countless offers to stay at St Anthony's.

Cash talks[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But all-in he is making north of $1 million a year, living in a relatively lower cost part of Rhode Island. He has been there six years. He has kids who are likely in school there. Everyone loves him and appreciates him. As he likely learned from his father, sometimes you appreciate your place in life and it isn't worth uprooting everything for a job that might pay a lot more but otherwise is no better.

If a true power 5 and/or top tier Big East school was knocking on his door, it would be a different situation. Though the cupboard is totally bare and there are a lot of challenges being in the ACC, I think Pitt is right now a better job than UConn.

devilseven
03-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Cash talks

Agreed. But all-in he is making north of $1 million a year, living in a relatively lower cost part of Rhode Island. He has been there six years. He has kids who are likely in school there. Everyone loves him and appreciates him. As he likely learned from his father, sometimes you appreciate your place in life and it isn't worth uprooting everything for a job that might pay a lot more but otherwise is no better.

If a true power 5 and/or top tier Big East school was knocking on his door, it would be a different situation. Though the cupboard is totally bare and there are a lot of challenges being in the ACC, I think Pitt is right now a better job than UConn.[/QUOTE]

Plus, the state of Connecticut and its major cities are teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. Will there be enough money to pay Hurley?

DangerDevil
03-20-2018, 09:40 AM

https://www.cardiachill.com/2018/3/19/17141296/dan-hurley-pitt-uconn-spoke-monday-coach-search-vacancy-open-position-basketball-ncaaa-carousel

“Rhode Island head coach Dan Hurley was said to be close to signing with UConn, according to a report on Monday, but Adam Zagoria of Zagsblog, citing a source close to the situation, later revealed that the report was inaccurate. He also noted that both Pitt and UConn spoke with Hurley on Monday about their respective coaching vacancies.

“A report that UConn is close to signing Hurley is inaccurate,” Zagoria wrote. “No decision is imminent.”

Jeff Goodman of ESPN also reported on Monday’s developments and said that Hurley has yet to make a decision on his future. Both Zagoria and Goodman added that he will talk to Rhode Island athletic director Thorr Bjorn on Tuesday before moving forward in the process.”

Dev11
03-20-2018, 05:10 PM
Per Jon Rothstein at CBS Sports, Pitt is now in the mix for Dan Hurley and has offered over $3M for him to preside over their ashes next year.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/976178870880792577?s=09

Poor Dan, getting exposure for a major job when there are all these crummy jobs needing to be filled.

Papa John
03-20-2018, 05:21 PM
Though the cupboard is totally bare and there are a lot of challenges being in the ACC, I think Pitt is right now a better job than UConn.

Totally agree. Given that UConn was one of the schools without a seat in the game of conference-shifting-musical-chairs, I’d consider a move from URI to UConn as borderline lateral. Pitt, on the other hand, is in arguably the best basketball conference in D1, the expectations will be low and they will give a lot of time since it will basically be a complete program rebuild from the ground up, plus Pittsburgh is a great town. I’d either head there or stand pat for a more prominent opening. Hurley has all the leverage, so no need to rush his decision.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2018, 05:24 PM
Totally agree. Given that UConn was one of the schools without a seat in the game of conference-shifting-musical-chairs, I’d consider a move from URI to UConn as borderline lateral. Pitt, on the other hand, is in arguably the best basketball conference in D1, the expectations will be low and they will give a lot of time since it will basically be a complete program rebuild from the ground up, plus Pittsburgh is a great town. I’d either head there or stand pat for a more prominent opening. Hurley has all the leverage, so no need to rush his decision.

Pitt is not a bad job, although it is a total rebuild. Great conference, and the big name coaching competition is getting a bit long in the tooth. The next generation is starting to build now, he can get in at a good time. Pittsburgh is a neat town.

UConn is stuck in a small conference and is arguably overshadowed by Gino's women's program. Plus, you are in Storrs.

URI seems like a better job than UConn to me, although it comes down to personal decisions for Danny. My guess is that URI would make the money right if that was the prime consideration.

devildeac
03-20-2018, 05:30 PM
Pitt is not a bad job, although it is a total rebuild. Great conference, and the big name coaching competition is getting a bit long in the tooth. The next generation is starting to build now, he can get in at a good time. Pittsburgh is a neat town.

UConn is stuck in a small conference and is arguably overshadowed by Gino's women's program. Plus, you are in Storrs.

URI seems like a better job than UConn to me, although it comes down to personal decisions for Danny. My guess is that URI would make the money right if that was the prime consideration.

Maybe he could recruit Cam Johnson as a grad transfer...

DangerDevil
03-20-2018, 05:45 PM
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/19/sources-kevin-willard-in-the-mix-for-pitt-job/

I didn’t realize Willard played at Pitt.

Maybe Danny is waiting for him to leave Seton Hall so he can go back to his alma mater.

Ian
03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
The rumor is Pitt offering him 7 years/25 million.

I think stuff like this does pose a challenge to the argument against paying players because "the money is not there, the Ath. Dept of most schools are barely breaking even". Yeah, they're barely breaking even because coaches are making 20 times what a normal professors at those schools make. Danny Hurley isn't even an established top-tier coach, he's just an up and comer with potential and Pitt is willing to pay Stallings $10 million to go away so they can give Hurley $25 million.

Stuff like this make me want the NCAA end it's amatuerism requirement tomorrow.

BD80
03-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Per Jon Rothstein at CBS Sports, Pitt is now in the mix for Dan Hurley and has offered over $3M for him to preside over their ashes next year.

The Pittsburgh Phoenix?

The job might not be so bad. The 9 players who have been given their release can still be recruited.

MrPoon
03-20-2018, 09:11 PM

The most dangous coaching jobs are those at programs who were once good or great but arn’t any longer. The alums and school leadership expect results that are no longer attainable and they keep firing coaches and making worse decisions chasing past glory. See: Tenn football. UConn smells of this type of situation to me.

JasonEvans
03-20-2018, 10:08 PM
Anyone taking the Pitt job is going to need a loooong term contract because the rebuild there is a pretty major one (depending on how many -- if any -- of the transferring players can be lured back). 7 years is a ton of security for Danny in a profession that does not provide much security. Plus, if he even gets them to be competitive in the ACC, he looks like a major hero.

And there is no question that, over the long haul, the ACC (even Pitt) is a waaaay better situation than UConn or RI.

-Jason "I hope he takes it... I think he's got a nice future and is a solid coach and the ACC could use that at Pitt" Evans

OZZIE4DUKE
03-20-2018, 10:22 PM
The most dangous coaching jobs are those at programs who were once good or great but arn’t any longer. The alums and school leadership expect results that are no longer attainable and they keep firing coaches and making worse decisions chasing past glory. See: Tenn football. UConn smells of this type of situation to me.
Duke basketball in 1972-74. Duke football for the 70's, part of the 80's and 90's, all of the 00's. You'd have to be crazie to take a job there..... :cool:http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

PackMan97
03-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Anyone taking the Pitt job is going to need a loooong term contract because the rebuild there is a pretty major one (depending on how many -- if any -- of the transferring players can be lured back). 7 years is a ton of security for Danny in a profession that does not provide much security. Plus, if he even gets them to be competitive in the ACC, he looks like a major hero.

And there is no question that, over the long haul, the ACC (even Pitt) is a waaaay better situation than UConn or RI.

-Jason "I hope he takes it... I think he's got a nice future and is a solid coach and the ACC could use that at Pitt" Evans

I don't know about that. Not since Coach Gutheridge took the FB job at Duke have a seen an opening as bleak and depressing as Pitt. That said, at least Duke FB didn't have 75% of the team transferring out before Gut was hired. So, it's even worse than that at Pitt...and even then Duke had no recent history of FB success.

I really don't know what Pitt did to upset Dixon, but wow....what a mistake. Just about as bad as Wake hiring Bzdelik.

dudog84
03-20-2018, 11:06 PM
I don't know about that. Not since Coach Gutheridge took the FB job at Duke have a seen an opening as bleak and depressing as Pitt. That said, at least Duke FB didn't have 75% of the team transferring out before Gut was hired. So, it's even worse than that at Pitt...and even then Duke had no recent history of FB success.

I really don't know what Pitt did to upset Dixon, but wow...what a mistake. Just about as bad as Wake hiring Bzdelik.

Uh, I know you're a Wuffie (I hope that's not a bad term, I don't mean it that way), but our FB coach is Cutcliffe, Coach Cut to some.

I think you've got him confused with a certain BB coach from 20 years ago with a different shade of blue...which is a hangable offense around here!

ChillinDuke
03-21-2018, 08:53 AM
At this point I think some people have gone too far overblowing the Pitt situation. And comparisons to football aren't all that apt. Basketball is a 12-player sport, and more realistically a 5-player sport, or even less in terms of the players that have a major impact. This sort of drop-off isn't unheard of in basketball programs, and people come in and are able to rebuild a program in relatively short order.

Jim Christian inherited Steve Donahue's BC team that was 8-24, coincidentally the same as this year's Pitt team. Luckily, Christian still had stud Olivier Hanlan in the fold for his first year, along with returnees Eddie Odio and Patrick Heckmann. That was about all that returned to BC. Christian's first season was OK, given the circumstances, 13-19 with OOC wins over Providence and Harvard, but only a 4-14 conference record and a win in the ACCT.

Hanlan moved on and Christian's second season was rough. 7-25 and winless in the ACC. The only players of significance returning to BC that season were Dennis Clifford (who I think was injured most of the year?) and Garland Owens. Rough year. But BC and Christian welcomed Jerome Robinson as a major building block.

Then in 2016-17, Christian started his uptrend. Barely. Going 9-23 and 2-16 in conference, with a solid 15-pt home win over Syracuse. Robinson was joined by freshmen Ky Bowman and Nik Popovich as well as BYU-transfer Jordan Chatman.

Fast forward to this year and BC finished 19-16 and 7-11 in conference. And with no headlining seniors, I expect BC to make the NCAA Tournament next year.

Is Pitt a rebuilding job? I mean, yeah, I guess technically. But I wouldn't call it some sort of Armageddon scenario. Jim Christian basically had 2-3 returning players (and really only 1 returnee of significance) twice already in his 4 years at BC. And I'd say he's already on the cusp of bringing them back to relevance.

I don't think the Pitt job is any worse that the scenario described above. (Unless there are some underlying issues at the school I'm not aware of)

- Chillin

ETA - Again analagous, Pitt is also one coach removed from their previous highs. Dixon>Stallings just as Skinner>Donahue.

uh_no
03-21-2018, 09:07 AM
UConn got hit harder by the big round of conference shifts than anyone else as none of the power 5 wanted them but they couldn't go back to the big east and abandon football. So they are stuck in a miserable purgatory of a second tier conference with lots of games all over the country and fans who still think they are a top tier program. You couldn't pay me enough to take that job.

perhaps you haven't seen the recent attendance......fans are under no delusions.

That said, uconn athletics is very well funded, and there's no fundamental reason they shouldn't be able to succeed even in a weak conference. Memphis did. Gonzaga does. Cincinatti and WSU do it in the same conference.They can get plenty of OOC games against good teams like memphis did. They had some recruiting success early in KO's tenure....but having a coach that can't win with his own guys hurts....and they didn't.

I'm not saying the next coach doesn't have a tall order. I'm saying that a program as well funded as connecticut should be able to do better than eighth in a, as you say, second tier conference.

Football, on the other hand, is another story.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 09:16 AM
perhaps you haven't seen the recent attendance...fans are under no delusions.

That said, uconn athletics is very well funded, and there's no fundamental reason they shouldn't be able to succeed even in a weak conference. Memphis did. Gonzaga does. Cincinatti and WSU do it in the same conference.They can get plenty of OOC games against good teams like memphis did. They had some recruiting success early in KO's tenure...but having a coach that can't win with his own guys hurts...and they didn't.

I'm not saying the next coach doesn't have a tall order. I'm saying that a program as well funded as connecticut should be able to do better than eighth in a, as you say, second tier conference.

These are all good points. The key to me is that UConn is in a non-P5 conference so it seems like a lateral move (to me) from URI. Pitt, by contrast, is definitely moving up. And unless there are issues with the AD or other considerations, Pitt is not in a markedly worse position than UConn right now. Both are total rebuild jobs, something Hurley did well at URI.

wilson
03-21-2018, 09:26 AM
perhaps you haven't seen the recent attendance...fans are under no delusions.

That said, uconn athletics is very well funded, and there's no fundamental reason they shouldn't be able to succeed even in a weak conference. Memphis did. Gonzaga does. Cincinatti and WSU do it in the same conference.They can get plenty of OOC games against good teams like memphis did. They had some recruiting success early in KO's tenure...but having a coach that can't win with his own guys hurts...and they didn't.

These are all good points. The key to me is that UConn is in a non-P5 conference so it seems like a lateral move (to me) from URI. Pitt, by contrast, is definitely moving up. And unless there are issues with the AD or other considerations, Pitt is not in a markedly worse position than UConn right now. Both are total rebuild jobs, something Hurley did well at URI.Good discussion here. I think another question to ask is what exactly constitutes a successful rebuild for UConn fans. uh_no, you make good points that Gonzaga, Wichita State, et al serve as good examples of successful programs in non-major conferences, but is this gonna be good enough for Husky fans? Going from the days of winning titles to regularly making the Sweet 16 and occasionally cracking a Final Four, like the Gonzagas and Wichita States of the world, might not fully satisfy UConn fans who still have multiple championships in recent memory, and who might not consider general respectability to be a full rebuild.

uh_no
03-21-2018, 09:35 AM
Good discussion here. I think another question to ask is what exactly constitutes a successful rebuild for UConn fans. uh_no, you make good points that Gonzaga, Wichita State, et al serve as good examples of successful programs in non-major conferences, but is this gonna be good enough for Husky fans? Going from the days of winning titles to regularly making the Sweet 16 and occasionally cracking a Final Four, like the Gonzagas and Wichita States of the world, might not fully satisfy UConn fans who still have multiple championships in recent memory, and who might not consider general respectability to be a full rebuild.

i'd be satisfied with competing with the directional schools in our own league, to start....just give me something to be interested in watching....and maybe a sweet 16/elite 8 threat every few years.

JasonEvans
03-21-2018, 09:36 AM
It is also worth noting that though a bunch of kids have asked for their release from Pitt, I am betting that the new coach will be able to convince several of them to come back. They reacted quickly to Stallings being let go, but once a new coach is there to sweet talk them and tell them about the big playing time they will get going forward, I bet at least some of them come back.

What's more, the team's leading scorer, Jared Wilson-Frame has not asked for a transfer (though I think he is not all that good of a player- he scored because he shot... and missed... a lot). The guy who really appears to have value is freshman Parker Stewart. He's an ACC talent, for sure. Hurley, or whoever, will really work hard to get him back, I suspect.

-Jason "Hurley will supposedly make his decision between Pitt, UConn, and RI today" Evans

P.S. - There is a strange scenario where Hurley turns down Pitt so Pitt turns to Seton Hall's Kevin Willard which opens up the Seton Hall job... and Hurley played at Seton Hall so he might take that gig. He could also choose to wait and see if Xavier opens up as Chris Mack is expected to be a major contender for Louisville.

PackMan97
03-21-2018, 09:44 AM
Uh, I know you're a Wuffie (I hope that's not a bad term, I don't mean it that way), but our FB coach is Cutcliffe, Coach Cut to some.

I think you've got him confused with a certain BB coach from 20 years ago with a different shade of blue...which is a hangable offense around here!

Can I have a mulligan on this one. I'm so embarrassed, I just might ban myself.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2018, 09:46 AM
It is also worth noting that though a bunch of kids have asked for their release from Pitt, I am betting that the new coach will be able to convince several of them to come back. They reacted quickly to Stallings being let go, but once a new coach is there to sweet talk them and tell them about the big playing time they will get going forward, I bet at least some of them come back.

What's more, the team's leading scorer, Jared Wilson-Frame has not asked for a transfer (though I think he is not all that good of a player- he scored because he shot... and missed... a lot). The guy who really appears to have value is freshman Parker Stewart. He's an ACC talent, for sure. Hurley, or whoever, will really work hard to get him back, I suspect.

-Jason "Hurley will supposedly make his decision between Pitt, UConn, and RI today" Evans

P.S. - There is a strange scenario where Hurley turns down Pitt so Pitt turns to Seton Hall's Kevin Willard which opens up the Seton Hall job... and Hurley played at Seton Hall so he might take that gig. He could also choose to wait and see if Xavier opens up as Chris Mack is expected to be a major contender for Louisville.

Smart move by the Pitt players to hedge their bets. Not knowing where things are headed, giving yourself an out makes a lot of sense.

I agree that the correct hire could potentially save next season.

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2018, 09:47 AM

I really don't know what Pitt did to upset Dixon, but wow...what a mistake. Just about as bad as Wake hiring Bzdelik.

Coach Gutheridge only lasted a few hours, so we tend to forget about him. His wife threatened divorce if he "did anything as stupid as coach the worst team in the country", so he caved and left before signing a contract. Thankfully, Coach Cutcliffe's family was far more supportive.

killerleft
03-21-2018, 10:03 AM

That was a great laugh early this morning - but Roseanne Roseannadanna said it best: "Never mind."

RIP Gilda Radnor, always.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Can I have a mulligan on this one. I'm so embarrassed,

No worries, it was pretty funny.

jv001
03-21-2018, 10:11 AM

Anyone that hates the cheats as much as I do, can have two mulligans. For free!!!!!!!! GoDuke!

BD80
03-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Penny reels in his first recruit: Wichita State signed commit 4* Alex Lomax.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita-st-releases-4-star-recruit-play-hs-coach-penny-hardaway-memphis-032324084.

Gregg Marshall released the kid from his LOI - incredibly classy move. I do mean incredible - I don't believe it. Releasing a kid to a conference rival?

Will Memphis suck that badly next year? Is Marshall planning on leaving Wichita?

Or is there really an honest and decent D-1 basketball head coach?

Dev11
03-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Penny reels in his first recruit: Wichita State signed commit 4* Alex Lomax.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wichita-st-releases-4-star-recruit-play-hs-coach-penny-hardaway-memphis-032324084.

Gregg Marshall released the kid from his LOI - incredibly classy move. I do mean incredible - I don't believe it. Releasing a kid to a conference rival?

Will Memphis suck that badly next year? Is Marshall planning on leaving Wichita?

Or is there really an honest and decent D-1 basketball head coach?

Once upon a time, coaches and universities could control the narratives around their programs more, because they had all the media access and students weren't on social media. Without that control, they lose a lot of leverage in the PR battle on these transfers. It's admirable that Marshall let the kid go, but if he didn't, he'd be thoroughly shamed on social media and every coach would use it to recruit against him. Also, not that Wichita scores top recruits every year, but Marshall has sustained the program at a high level for a while now, so he probably has some margin for error. If this was, say, LSU allowing then top prospect Ben Simmons to leave before arriving, I'd be more surprised.

Still, credit to Marshall for reading the obvious tea leaves in this situation. Given his experience with youth basketball, I think Penny is going to be more successful than your average brand new head coach, and Memphis can support a top team when they're good.

Tripping William
03-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Just received a telephone push-alert from ESPN that David Padgett will not be back as Louisville's head coach.

JasonEvans
03-21-2018, 03:06 PM
Louisville has told David Padgett he will not be retained as head coach at Louisville. For the moment, this makes Lou the biggest job opening in the sport.

Also, there is talk that Sean Miller has reached out to Pitt about perhaps taking over there. I would think he would be persona non-grata for any program until we know what the FBI investigation is going to find, but the fact that he is talking to Pitt tells me he thinks he has worn out his welcome in Arizona.

-Jason "the dominoes that Miller could create would be really interesting to watch... though Arizona is a major major rebuild at this point with everyone jumping ship and no meaningful recruits signed up" Evans

brevity
03-21-2018, 03:14 PM
Louisville has told David Padgett he will not be retained as head coach at Louisville. For the moment, this makes Lou the biggest job opening in the sport.

Also, there is talk that Sean Miller has reached out to Pitt about perhaps taking over there. I would think he would be persona non-grata for any program until we know what the FBI investigation is going to find, but the fact that he is talking to Pitt tells me he thinks he has worn out his welcome in Arizona.

-Jason "the dominoes that Miller could create would be really interesting to watch... though Arizona is a major major rebuild at this point with everyone jumping ship and no meaningful recruits signed up" Evans

It would never happen, because blood is thicker than money, but Danny Hurley to Arizona would be hilarious.

FerryFor50
03-21-2018, 03:15 PM

So what was the final straw for Zona?

FBI investigation or losing to Buffalo in the first round?

-jk
03-21-2018, 03:18 PM

Must it be binary?

-jk

DangerDevil
03-21-2018, 03:23 PM
Just received a telephone push-alert from ESPN that David Padgett will not be back as Louisville's head coach.

I hope Paulus finds a landing spot on someone’s staff quickly.

OldPhiKap
03-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Yes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-21-2018, 03:28 PM
It would never happen, because blood is thicker than money, but Danny Hurley to Arizona would be hilarious.

The Hurley Home and Home would be must watch TV

MChambers
03-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Long Washington Post article on Pitino and his claim of innocence:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/defiant-and-wounded-rick-pitino-insists-he-did-nothing-wrong--and-wants-back-in/2018/03/21/681d3616-2c6d-11e8-8688-e053ba58f1e4_story.html?utm_term=.4e804d0be7cd

Billy Dat
03-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Miller shot this down about an hour ago via a released statement. He also said that the chance to coach Chase Jeter was, essentially, what gets him out of bed each morning. Only part of what I typed may be true.

fisheyes
03-22-2018, 07:52 AM
Well this is interesting:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22862828/dan-hurley-leave-rhode-island-become-uconn-men-basketball-coach

DangerDevil
03-22-2018, 07:52 AM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22862828/dan-hurley-leave-rhode-island-become-uconn-men-basketball-coach

freshmanjs
03-22-2018, 08:00 AM
I don't think so. That's not a very good job anymore.

Thanks for the feedback, but Hurley is taking the UCONN job.

budwom
03-22-2018, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the feedback, but Hurley is taking the UCONN job.

Ain't what they used to be....UCONN is mired in hoop irrelevance, thank you BC for keeping them out of the ACC.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2018, 08:39 AM
If that is what Danny chooses to do, I wish him well.

uh_no
03-22-2018, 09:01 AM
Ain't what they used to be...UCONN is mired in hoop irrelevance, thank you BC for keeping them out of the ACC.

good thing you nipped that in the bud with UL instead. Along with UNC, Miami, and syracuse, Uconn would have fit right in!

CrazyNotCrazie
03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
If that is what Danny chooses to do, I wish him well.

I wish him well but I think that in a year or two when he is listening to alums grumble about the good old days between his conference road trips to Tulsa, Wichita, Houston and Tampa, he will be questioning whether the extra money was truly worth it.

I am very curious to see who Louisville goes after. That is another program with incredibly high expectations but a lot of uncertainty due to the scandal - I don't think anyone would leave a remotely stable situation for Louisville, but as we have seen many times before, money often speaks loudest. The question is whether Louisville has the money to offer.

uh_no
03-22-2018, 09:37 AM
The question is whether Louisville has the money to offer.

well, I hear they're going to save a lot on their previous entertainment budget.

Troublemaker
03-22-2018, 09:51 AM
I wish him well but I think that in a year or two when he is listening to alums grumble about the good old days between his conference road trips to Tulsa, Wichita, Houston and Tampa, he will be questioning whether the extra money was truly worth it.

I am very curious to see who Louisville goes after. That is another program with incredibly high expectations but a lot of uncertainty due to the scandal - I don't think anyone would leave a remotely stable situation for Louisville, but as we have seen many times before, money often speaks loudest. The question is whether Louisville has the money to offer.

The target is apparently Chris Mack (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/louisville-basketball-chris-mack-coaching-rumors-top-replacement-scott-padgett-xavier/jl3k7dc494qv1dtzyu1wrf8fj).

He'd be another very good coach added to the ACC.

weezie
03-22-2018, 09:57 AM
I hope Paulus finds a landing spot on someone’s staff quickly.

Ain't that the truth?! But, I have a feeling that he's going to catch on and hold somewhere. Have to think he's got a good basketball mind and someone is bound to recognize that for keeps.

budwom
03-22-2018, 10:20 AM
my understanding is that the last words the UCONN AD had for their departing coach were "it's a fine fix you've gotten us into, Ollie." Gotta be a geezer to grasp this one.

budwom
03-22-2018, 10:24 AM
good thing you nipped that in the bud with UL instead. Along with UNC, Miami, and syracuse, Uconn would have fit right in!
I get the sentiment, but the barn door was left perilously wide open ever since they admitted the Seminoles.

fisheyes
03-22-2018, 10:30 AM
my understanding is that the last words the UCONN AD had for their departing coach were "it's a fine fix you've gotten us into, Ollie." Gotta be a geezer to grasp this one.

An oldie and a goodie.

I, for one, possibly with uh_no, think that UCONN would actually be a good fit as our 16th member in the ACC. BC thinks otherwise for sure.
It recreates some old Big East rivalries, gives us another safe football win ( ;) ), and selfishly I might get to see them play in CT.
The president of UCONN is a Duke grad. So maybe someday.

AtlDuke72
03-22-2018, 10:39 AM

Louisville usually goes after the scuzziest (???) coach available as long as they can win. That would be Pitino so maybe they will hire him back.

ChillinDuke
03-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Why didn't the AD do something to help him?

- Chillin

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Ain't what they used to be...UCONN is mired in hoop irrelevance, thank you BC for keeping them out of the ACC.

If they were in the ACC they likely would not be irrelevant.

rasputin
03-22-2018, 10:51 AM
I get the sentiment, but the barn door was left perilously wide open ever since they admitted the Seminoles.

True, but without the Seminoles we never would have had the "wine and cheese crowd" moniker applied to the Nose Dome.

uh_no
03-22-2018, 10:54 AM
If they were in the ACC they likely would not be irrelevant.

given what I saw of KO, they would still have stunk the past few years, though.

Troublemaker
03-22-2018, 11:06 AM

He should've taken those NBA jobs after winning the title. Stars can fade fast.

On that note, I wonder if Ryan Odom is going to leave UMBC this offseason. Lyles and Maura, that wonderful backcourt, are both seniors.

Pghdukie
03-22-2018, 11:08 AM
Clemson at UCONN football game would end up 99-0 in front of 18,000 fans. Of which 17,500 are Tiger fans.

Billy Dat
03-22-2018, 11:26 AM

uh_no, if memory serves, you are a UConn fan, right? It seems like their natural home is back in the Big East but they are chasing the football dream. Do you think there is any chance they give that up and slide back into their old conference?

UConn, under Calhoun, was a great rival for Duke. I really think Hurley can bring back that swagger, but it would be so much better if there were back in the Big East.

chrishoke
03-22-2018, 11:29 AM
D. Hurley to UConn.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22862828/dan-hurley-leaves-rhode-island-become-uconn-men-basketball-coach

uh_no
03-22-2018, 12:00 PM
uh_no, if memory serves, you are a UConn fan, right? Yep. One of the hardest things I ever had to do was get over my hate for Duke.

Do you think there is any chance they give that up and slide back into their old conference? They were gauging interest in some combo solutions for a while...Big 12 in fball, BE in everything else. That was when the B12 thought they might add another team to get a title game. UWV wanted someone closer. Whether any such deal is posisble with any conference, who knows.

it would be so much better if there were back in the Big East. "back" in the big east is a bit of a nonstarter becuase the "big east" is dead. There is a new conference with the same name and a few of the same teams...but the feel is gone.

In the big east of the late 90's and 2000's, when uconn had its major successes, the main people that one would want to continue to see would have been

-Pitt
-Cuse
-BC
-Georgetown

Those four teams and Connecticut comprised every big east champion but one from 1996-2008, and 26/30 title game participants over the same time span. 23/29 Big east champions through 2009.

If you ask uconn fans who they would choice if they had a chance to play the old big-east teams in the ACC, or the old big-east teams in the new-big-east, almost all of them would take pitt, cuse, and BC in a heartbeat.

UrinalCake
03-22-2018, 12:06 PM
Why doesn’t Louisville hire Sean Miller and Arizona hire Rick Pitino? They can blame each other for all of their problems, and the schools can work out a deal to both pay the previous coach’s salary.

JasonEvans
03-22-2018, 12:34 PM
D. Hurley to UConn.
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22862828/dan-hurley-leaves-rhode-island-become-uconn-men-basketball-coach

As the third person to provide the same link (only 4 hours after the original links), Chris wins 2 cans of Schafers beer!

http://pabstbrewingco.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/schaefer1.png

-Jason "Schafers, it'll get ya drunk" Evans

rasputin
03-22-2018, 12:45 PM
As the third person to provide the same link (only 4 hours after the original links), Chris wins 2 cans of Schafers beer!

How many of you remember their old jingle, "Schafer . . . . is the . . . . one beer to have, when you're having more than one"?

chrishoke
03-22-2018, 01:42 PM

LOL. Cheers.

Billy Dat
03-22-2018, 01:57 PM
"back" in the big east is a bit of a nonstarter becuase the "big east" is dead. There is a new conference with the same name and a few of the same teams...but the feel is gone.

In the big east of the late 90's and 2000's, when uconn had its major successes, the main people that one would want to continue to see would have been

-Pitt
-Cuse
-BC
-Georgetown

Those four teams and Connecticut comprised every big east champion but one from 1996-2008, and 26/30 title game participants over the same time span. 23/29 Big east champions through 2009.

If you ask uconn fans who they would choice if they had a chance to play the old big-east teams in the ACC, or the old big-east teams in the new-big-east, almost all of them would take pitt, cuse, and BC in a heartbeat.

Yes, I should have qualified my statement as you have done. However, I still think this iteration of the Big East, with its basketball-is-king ethos is a good fit for UConn. I know the program has fallen on hard times, but it's glorious success is not that far in the past....2 of the last 7 natties!

wilson
03-22-2018, 02:00 PM
The question is whether Louisville has the money to offer.

well, I hear they're going to save a lot on their previous entertainment budget.I'm pretty sure those line items have been stripped from the program budget.

I'll see myself out.

Reilly
03-22-2018, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure those line items have been stripped from the program budget ...

Even so, couldn't they be pasted back in?

rasputin
03-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Even so, couldn't they be pasted back in?

That would take a lot of 1-dollar bills.

BigWayne
03-22-2018, 02:45 PM
How many of you remember their old jingle, "Schafer . . . . is the . . . . one beer to have, when you're having more than one"?

Smart marketing. Hard to make money selling beer to guys that only drink one.

Growing up in New England, I remember Schaefer as the Red Sox beer. I think the Yankees had Knickerbocker and the Mets were sponsored by Ballantine.

In the early 80's Schaefer became our beer of choice in Durham when Stroh's bought the Schlitz factory in Winston-Salem and started making Schaefer there as their low end beer.