PDA

View Full Version : Football Coaching Carousel 2017

TKG
11-26-2017, 12:02 PM
So the guy has a winning record, has focused his players on academics and has a .500 bowl record and still got fired. Sounds like ASU needs a reality check.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21569698/arizona-state-sun-devils-fire-coach-todd-graham

TKG
11-26-2017, 04:28 PM
Finishes season at 7-5.

51 - 26 over six seasons.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21574091/texas-aggies-fire-coach-kevin-sumlin-six-seasons

Bob Green
11-26-2017, 05:59 PM
We should keep an eye out for a fired head coach with a history of success as a P5 offensive coordinator.

-jk
11-26-2017, 06:04 PM
We should keep an eye out for a fired head coach with a history of success as a P5 offensive coordinator.

What's Spurrier up to these days?

-jk

YmoBeThere
11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
The seat has got to be getting warm in Greenville...

TKG
11-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Bob, I was thinking the same thing but wonder if Cut will use the past two weeks as rationale for giving our current OC another season?

TKG
11-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Mullen leaves Mississippi State for the Gators.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21572374/florida-gators-make-mississippi-state-dan-mullen-new-head-coach

TKG
11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Bruins will pay Chip Kelly $23.3 million over five years.

Reilly
11-26-2017, 06:44 PM
What's Spurrier up to these days?

-jk

Making Outback commercials. I wonder what he gets paid for that.

This coaching carousel season seems to the "recently coached against Duke in a bowl" axe season with Graham and Sumlin. And the Indiana guy was already gone, wasn't he? The Cincy guy was interim when we played them, but Butch Jones who coached that 2012 team is done at UT, and Tuberville who took over Cincy has been gone a year. I love the stability and integrity we've had with Cut.

TKG
11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Nebraska fired Mike Riley after three seasons. Frost from UCF leading candidate for Cornhusker job.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21553488/mike-riley-fired-nebraska-cornhuskers-coach-three-seasons

Devil549
11-26-2017, 07:09 PM
IMO Coach Cut will keep staff as is but hopefully he will more involved with offensive play calling.

I know offensively we have been very bad this year but in 6 wins we looked unstoppable at times. I do think our WRs are not as good as past groups but we have an above average TE group. Bracey has not lived up to expectations but we need other WR to step up also. The RBs are pretty solid and OL should be better next year.

Defensively we should be solid next year..... biggest challenge will be finding a CB to replace Fields. Would also like to see the field goal kicker improve or bring in a new recruit.....Martin was very good for 4 years maybe we were just lucky.

Glad for Seniors and the program we are going bowling but with our great start could have been a 9/10 Win season.....GO DUKE!!!!!

TKG
11-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Looks like Greg Schiano will not be the next coach at Tennessee.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21579125/tennessee-volunteers-no-longer-hire-greg-schiano-head-coach

OldPhiKap
11-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Looks like Greg Schiano will not be the next coach at Tennessee.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21579125/tennessee-volunteers-no-longer-hire-greg-schiano-head-coach

That is going to be a hard job to fill as is. This misstep won’t help.

DangerDevil
11-26-2017, 10:23 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21579852/ole-miss-rebels-remove-interim-tag-head-coach-matt-luke

Not bad for the former Duke and Coach Cut Assistant.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-26-2017, 10:26 PM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21579852/ole-miss-rebels-remove-interim-tag-head-coach-matt-luke

Not bad for the former Duke and Coach Cut Assistant.

He's earned the job. The challenge will be staying there.

devildeac
11-26-2017, 11:49 PM

I see what you did there, Bob. ;)

DangerDevil
11-27-2017, 09:52 PM
According to ESPN radio, Chris Low reported that Tennessee reached out to Cut about their opening and he informed them he was not interested and wanted to remain at Duke!

60sDukie
11-28-2017, 07:59 AM
According to ESPN radio, Chris Low reported that Tennessee reached out to Cut about their opening and he informed them he was not interested and wanted to remain at Duke!

I’ve been waiting on that shoe to drop. Hopefully it has been kicked back in the closet.

weezie
11-28-2017, 08:07 AM
What a stinking mess over there in TN. Still pining away for Cut. I don't claim any intelligence when it comes to football, but do they operate their whole athletic department with ham fists?

Avvocato
11-28-2017, 08:23 AM

Here's the ESPN.com link: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21591832/david-cutcliffe-duke-told-tennessee-not-interested-vols-head-coaching-vacancy

arnie
11-28-2017, 09:20 AM
What a stinking mess over there in TN. Still pining away for Cut. I don't claim any intelligence when it comes to football, but do they operate their whole athletic department with ham fists?

Will be great news when UT hires their next coach not named Cutcliffe. I don’t believe he’ll take another job anyway, but sure will feel better when the Tennessee job opening is filled.

wilson
11-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Here's the ESPN.com link: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21591832/david-cutcliffe-duke-told-tennessee-not-interested-vols-head-coaching-vacancyThe audio comments from Low in that link are particularly pride-inducing. He went further than just reporting that Cutcliffe has (again) rebuffed UT, to say that Coach Cut "is really, really happy at Duke," and that "[his current players] are the kids he wants to coach."
We are so fortunate to have such commitment and loyalty from our head guy.

vfefrenzy
11-28-2017, 11:05 AM

Yes. Our ADs have been pretty uniformly terrible for a while now. Currie seems to have botched every step of this process. He kept Jones too long after every recruit in the country could see he was a dead man walking. He apparently didn’t spend that time getting a new coach lined up. Then he tried to hire Schiano which shows that he either doesn’t understand Tennessee fans or doesn’t give a crap about us. I can’t blame Cut for not wanting to be UT’s 5th or 6th choice. I can only hope that we get lucky and find a young stud coach because I have no faith in this administration’s ability to make a wise decision.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Yes. Our ADs have been pretty uniformly terrible for a while now. Currie seems to have botched every step of this process. He kept Jones too long after every recruit in the country could see he was a dead man walking. He apparently didn’t spend that time getting a new coach lined up. Then he tried to hire Schiano which shows that he either doesn’t understand Tennessee fans or doesn’t give a crap about us. I can’t blame Cut for not wanting to be UT’s 5th or 6th choice. I can only hope that we get lucky and find a young stud coach because I have no faith in this administration’s ability to make a wise decision.

Good to see a UT fan here, always enjoy the perspective of other fans who come to discuss sports without trolling.

Good luck on the search, may Rocky Top ring loudly once again.

75Crazie
11-28-2017, 11:48 AM
...Then he tried to hire Schiano which shows that he either doesn’t understand Tennessee fans or doesn’t give a crap about us...
Spouse of a UT Vol grad here. Can you elaborate on why you feel that the Schiano hire was not palatable to UT fans? Do those fans believe the innuendo about him raised by what appears to be a chance remark in the Penn St investigation? Because that is all that I am aware of. It might be reasonable to argue that Currie did not do an adequate job of vetting Schiano and finding the existence of that innuendo ... but the reaction of the fans in tarring Schiano and ruining his reputation, in the absence of any substantive facts, is incredible to me. Aside from that, the only negative I can find in Schiano is that he bounced around a lot; the positive is that he temporarily made Rutgers a force in football, and that was probably a more difficult job than Cutcliffe had with Duke. I'm not getting the level of vitriol here, but I'm not that close to UT to be able to see it.

YmoBeThere
11-28-2017, 12:03 PM
may Rocky Top ring loudly once again.

As a Vandy alum, I’m fine with it not echoing in the hollows...

TruBlu
11-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Good to see a UT fan here, always enjoy the perspective of other fans who come to discuss sports without trolling.

Good luck on the search, may Rocky Top ring loudly once again.

Seconded.

I was fortunate enough, with a small group of other Duke football fans, to see Duke upset the Vols in Knoxville in 1981. As we were leaving the stadium, we thought we might run into some hostile Vol fans. Instead, all we ran into was very nice and gracious Vol fans who offered congratulations.

I have been somewhat of a Vol fan ever since. Especially when they play Georgia (whose fans are almost as obnoxious as unc fans).

sagegrouse
11-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Spouse of a UT Vol grad here. Can you elaborate on why you feel that the Schiano hire was not palatable to UT fans? Do those fans believe the innuendo about him raised by what appears to be a chance remark in the Penn St investigation? Because that is all that I am aware of. It might be reasonable to argue that Currie did not do an adequate job of vetting Schiano and finding the existence of that innuendo ... but the reaction of the fans in tarring Schiano and ruining his reputation, in the absence of any substantive facts, is incredible to me. Aside from that, the only negative I can find in Schiano is that he bounced around a lot; the positive is that he temporarily made Rutgers a force in football, and that was probably a more difficult job than Cutcliffe had with Duke. I'm not getting the level of vitriol here, but I'm not that close to UT to be able to see it.

Here are the relevant paragraphs in the Washington Post story:

The main objection to Schiano, a former head coach at Rutgers and for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, was his association with the child-sex scandal at Penn State, in which former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky was sentenced to 30 years in prison. In a 2015 deposition that was unsealed last year, former Nittany Lions assistant coach Mike McQueary testified that another Penn State coach had told him that Schiano had talked of seeing Sandusky abusing a boy in the early 1990s.

“Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower,” McQueary said he heard of Schiano, who worked under Sandusky at Penn State from 1990 to 1995, according to the court document. Schiano, however, denied saying such a thing, telling ESPN’s Adam Schefter last year, “I never saw any abuse, nor had reason to suspect any abuse, during my time at Penn State.”

75Crazie
11-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Still looks like innuendo to me, Sage. I mean, it's not as if McQueary didn't have any significant motivation to try to deflect blame or anything. Since it evidently has not been followed up on, I think benefit of the doubt has to be given to Schiano here.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Would be hearsay in a court of law.

Enough to convict in the court of public opinion, apparently.

UT should have at least vetted how this would be received, right or wrong.

wilson
11-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Would be hearsay in a court of law.

Enough to convict in the court of public opinion, apparently.

UT should have at least vetted how this would be received, right or wrong.I for one don't for a second believe that Vol fans were truly outraged about the Penn State maybe-situation. Rather, I think it was a convenient pretext to register their displeasure at the impending hire of a New Jersey native with generally middling career results (even though "middling" results at Rutgers should probably be regarded as an accomplishment).

75Crazie
11-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I for one don't for a second believe that Vol fans were truly outraged about the Penn State maybe-situation. Rather, I think it was a convenient pretext to register their displeasure at the impending hire of a New Jersey native with generally middling career results (even though "middling" results at Rutgers should probably be regarded as an accomplishment).
That is my suspicion as well, Wilson, which is why I asked the question of vfefrenzy. And I tend to discount NFL coaching results when assessing college coaching qualifications; I feel his success at Rutgers speaks volumes and far exceeds his lack of success with Tampa Bay. So, setting aside the possible but hearsay connection with the Sandusky situation, he seems to be a good candidate for a power conference coaching job. I do not want to come across as a shill for Schiano ... I just feel the level of vitriol in UT fans was excessive, possibly mis-guided, and potentially actionable. Kind of reminds me of a situation with a particular Duke coach and program about 10 years ago.

RPS
11-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Would be hearsay in a court of law.It *is* hearsay, but would almost surely be admissible in court as a present sense impression, an excited utterance, an admission of a party opponent, and/or an admission against interest (depending upon how the statement comes up during trial).

Olympic Fan
11-28-2017, 02:33 PM
FWIW, Tennessee fans are tracking flights and Vol officials are currently on their way to Stillwater, Okla., apparently to talk to Mike Gundy.

Hope the Vol fans like mullets!

wilson
11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
FWIW, Tennessee fans are tracking flights and Vol officials are currently on their way to Stillwater, Okla., apparently to talk to Mike Gundy.

Hope the Vol fans like mullets!Interesting.
Is Tennessee > Oklahoma State really a given? Since Tennessee's last double-digit win season (2007), Oklahoma State has won double digit games 5 times. Oklahoma State's path to major bowls is easier out of the Big 12 than is Tennessee's out of the SEC. Mike Gundy is an Oklahoma native and widely loved by OK State fans. And T. Boone Pickens presumably has more money than any Tennessee alum ever.
If Gundy leaves for Knoxville, I'd see it as a head-scratcher.

Olympic Fan
11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Interesting.
Is Tennessee > Oklahoma State really a given? Since Tennessee's last double-digit win season (2007), Oklahoma State has won double digit games 5 times. Oklahoma State's path to major bowls is easier out of the Big 12 than is Tennessee's out of the SEC. Mike Gundy is an Oklahoma native and widely loved by OK State fans. And T. Boone Pickens presumably has more money than any Tennessee alum ever.
If Gundy leaves for Knoxville, I'd see it as a head-scratcher.

The only thing I could suggest is that for all his success and advantages at Oklahoma State, Grundy will always be No. 2 in that state.

Succeed or fail at UT and he's still the No. 1 team in that state.

OldPhiKap
11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Dear Mississippi State:

Please do not take Larry Fedora from us.

Sincerely, every ACC team outside of Chapel Hill

BD80
11-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Interesting.
Is Tennessee > Oklahoma State really a given? ...

Is Tennessee > Rutgers?

sagegrouse
11-28-2017, 03:17 PM

Hope the Vol fans like mullets!

Hey, Oly, are the Vols fans likely to shoot down the plane?

camion
11-28-2017, 03:23 PM
Another coaching change.

Davidson College announced that their current football coach was not having his contract renewed and they were mounting a national search for a replacement.

And to help you understand Davidson's priorities it is useful to note that the Library towers over the football stadium. :)

budwom
11-28-2017, 03:29 PM
It *is* hearsay, but would almost surely be admissible in court as a present sense impression, an excited utterance, an admission of a party opponent, and/or an admission against interest (depending upon how the statement comes up during trial).

further complicating things, the PTI guys were saying that the coach who was credited with telling McQueary about the incident claims he never did so.....

Reddevil
11-28-2017, 03:43 PM
if I am Schaino, and I am telling the truth, I would be all over a lie detector test and then say, "Look, I have been telling the truth. What more would you have me do?" The risk of an inconclusive result is worth it since he has already been deemed guilty by so many. Right?

devildeac
11-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Another coaching change.

Davidson College announced that their current football coach was not having his contract renewed and they were mounting a national search for a replacement.

And to help you understand Davidson's priorities it is useful to note that the Library towers over the football stadium. :)

So does this at a prominent university in upstate Indiana (kinda/sorta) :

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ee/University_of_Notre_Dame%27s_Hesburgh_Library.JPG/220px-University_of_Notre_Dame%27s_Hesburgh_Library.JPG

CameronBornAndBred
11-28-2017, 03:46 PM
Another coaching change.

I nominate Zac Roper!

CrazyNotCrazie
11-28-2017, 03:51 PM
Another coaching change.

Out of curiosity, I went to Davidson's web site to look him up. The fired coach is 36 years old - he got the head coaching job when he was 31. And his running backs coach was Laymarr Marshall, who played running back for Duke during the Fred Goldsmith era (mid-late 90s).

Also, given that you have to walk down into Wally Wade, you could argue that the library (and every other building at Duke) also towers over the football stadium.

cato
11-28-2017, 03:57 PM
It *is* hearsay, but would almost surely be admissible in court as a present sense impression, an excited utterance, an admission of a party opponent, and/or an admission against interest (depending upon how the statement comes up during trial).

Does that work with, uh, “double” hearsay? The guy being deposed testified about a third party telling a story about another third party.

[/transactional lawyer question]

RPS
11-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Does that work with, uh, “double” hearsay? The guy being deposed testified about a third party telling a story about another third party.

[/transactional lawyer question]There needs to be an exception at each level. I had read the Post story as saying that McQueary heard Schiano say it. A second (closer) reading suggests that I was wrong.

BD80
11-28-2017, 04:24 PM
There needs to be an exception at each level. I had read the Post story as saying that McQueary heard Schiano say it. A second (closer) reading suggests that I was wrong.

Triple hearsay?

Were you excited upon reading it?

RPS
11-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Triple hearsay?Nah. I won't make any effort to testify about it nor would anyone have a reason to try to get me to do so.

DU82
11-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Is Tennessee > Rutgers?

Rutgers is making strides in improving facilities. A good football stadium, and building a new practice facility. Fan support is good, even though the fans are a lot like NC State, a bit delusional about how good they really are in the scheme of things, and then turn around and want to fire the coach after a loss. Regarding Schiano, Rutgers would like him back about as much as some DWB fans want Coach G back (in other words, a lot.)

But the level of fanatics is nowhere near the level at Rocky Top. More money available at UT for sure.

Speaking of NC State, SI reports that UT has reached out to Dave Doreen. (https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/28/tennessee-coaching-search-mike-gundy-dave-doeren)

Reilly
11-28-2017, 09:22 PM
... you could argue that the library (and every other building at Duke) also towers over the football stadium.

Yeah, but wasn't the football stadium finished before the Chapel, and didn't FB $$ pay for the indoor stadium (Cameron)? Football is the cornerstone of Duke U.

dukejim1
11-28-2017, 10:04 PM
So the guy has a winning record, has focused his players on academics and has a .500 bowl record and still got fired. Sounds like ASU needs a reality check.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21569698/arizona-state-sun-devils-fire-coach-todd-graham

ASU interviewing Herm Edwards, that would probably be an upgrade. Appears to be a person of high character who would be an excellent leader of young men. His name recognition could be a boost to recruiting.

sagegrouse
11-28-2017, 10:13 PM
ASU interviewing Herm Edwards, that would probably be an upgrade. Appears to be a person of high character who would be an excellent leader of young men. His name recognition could be a boost to recruiting.

No question he's an innovator -- in 1978 his play (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlmUw2zcc8Q) led to the universal use of "take-a-knee" at the end of games..

Pghdukie
11-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Penn St OC, Joe Morehead heading to Mississippi St.

Bob Green
11-29-2017, 05:19 PM
Speaking of NC State, SI reports that UT has reached out to Dave Doreen. (https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/28/tennessee-coaching-search-mike-gundy-dave-doeren)

It is front page on ESPN now:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21609976/tennessee-focus-vols-next-coach-shifts-nc-state-wolfpack-dave-doeren

The best part of the article is:

The Vols also reached out to Duke's David Cutcliffe about the job earlier in the week, but Cutcliffe told Tennessee officials he intended to finish his coaching career at Duke.

Hingeknocker
11-29-2017, 05:40 PM

As a Kansas City native and Chiefs fan who lived through the Herm Edwards years, and has heard him on local radio for many years after that, I'm not sure if he actually is an "excellent leader of young men." He definitely plays one on TV, though!

Don't forget that he's been out of coaching entirely for, what, 10 years? And I believe he hasn't coached in college in any capacity since the late 1980s. I'm not so sure he'd be an upgrade at all.

sagegrouse
11-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Here's a story (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21609976/tennessee-focus-vols-next-coach-shifts-nc-state-wolfpack-dave-doeren) indicating the Vols will pursue Dave Doeren of NC State.

Tripping William
11-30-2017, 12:38 PM
Here's a story (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21609976/tennessee-focus-vols-next-coach-shifts-nc-state-wolfpack-dave-doeren) indicating the Vols will pursue Dave Doeren of NC State.

Look's like Doeren is going to decide (http://abc11.com/sports/will-he-stay-or-will-he-go-doeren-considering-tennessee/2717281/) today.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Look's like Doeren is going to decide (http://abc11.com/sports/will-he-stay-or-will-he-go-doeren-considering-tennessee/2717281/) today.

Report I heard was that Doeren said no to the Vols

Also hearing that Jimbo will be announced as new Texas A&M coach this afternoon

jv001
11-30-2017, 12:43 PM

Sure hope you're right about that OPK. Even if it may mean a Duke loss down the road to State, but I want State to do well. Especially against that team fails to play by the rules. GoDuke!

Tripping William
11-30-2017, 12:44 PM

Also hearing that Jimbo will be announced as new TTech coach this afternoon

TTech? Or A&M?

OldPhiKap
11-30-2017, 12:46 PM
TTech? Or A&M?

Sorry, A&M. Have Tech in the brain from the Spurrier discussion.

RPS
11-30-2017, 12:54 PM
Also hearing that Jimbo will be announced as new Texas A&M coach this afternoonI don't get this at all. He is paid well at FSU. He has a solid program where he can consistently compete at the highest level. He doesn't have to live in College Station (Tallahassee is way better). And he doesn't have to play in the SEC.

PackMan97
11-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Dave Doeren is staying at NC State and will sign a contract extensions. Turned down $4 million a year from Tenn.

Reilly
11-30-2017, 12:56 PM
Re: Jimbo/FSU -- I had forgotten that Stan Wilcox (formerly of Duke) was the FSU AD.

PDDuke85
11-30-2017, 01:00 PM
Dave Doeren is staying at NC State and will sign a contract extensions. Turned down $4 million a year from Tenn.

I'm going to use the threat of coaching Tennessee to my advantage of seeking a pay raise from now on.

devildeac
11-30-2017, 01:11 PM

Good for him and NCSU. Congrats. As long as he keeps beatin' the cheatin'...

;)

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 01:14 PM
I don't get this at all. He is paid well at FSU. He has a solid program where he can consistently compete at the highest level. He doesn't have to live in College Station (Tallahassee is way better). And he doesn't have to play in the SEC.

Because he could be paid better.

Texas A&M sources have indicated to ESPN that the Aggies are prepared to make Fisher one of the sport's three highest-paid coaches with an annual salary of more than $7 million, which would rank behind only Alabama's Nick Saban ($11.1 million in total compensation this year, average of $8.27 million over eight years) and would surpass Clemson's Dabo Swinney ($8.5 million this year, average of $6.75 million over eight years).

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21617765/jimbo-fisher-urged-make-decision-florida-state-seminoles

PackMan97
11-30-2017, 01:18 PM
Good for him and NCSU. Congrats. As long as he keeps beatin' the cheatin'...

;)

I know it's a tough job at State. Beat the cheats or get fired at the end of the season.

RPS
11-30-2017, 01:26 PM
Because he could be paid better.Yes. But how much better? He's (I think) #6 now. A&M might move him to #3. I would expect FSU to give him a bump for staying. I think there has to be more to this because FSU is a much better job than A&M.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Yes. But how much better? He's (I think) #6 now. A&M might move him to #3. I would expect FSU to give him a bump for staying. I think there has to be more to this because FSU is a much better job than A&M.

I agree. At some point you stop climbing the ladder and appreciate where you are. The guy has made enough money to retire many times over. His Wiki page says he was divorced a few years ago and has a kid with serious medical issues, so I'm guessing/hoping that issues other than football and money factor into this. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to uproot my family to move to College Station, TX (no offense) and jump out of one pressure cooker into another. But at the same time, perhaps he is miserable at FSU and is looking for a change of scenery. Regardless, I don't think the money would be driving this decision.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Yes. But how much better? He's (I think) #6 now. A&M might move him to #3. I would expect FSU to give him a bump for staying. I think there has to be more to this because FSU is a much better job than A&M.

According to that article, FSU is basically in "Hurry up and decide" mode, not "here's some more money for you to stay" mode. And after a 6-6 season, you can't blame them. (Not saying he's not worth fighting for, but until they win their cupcake game this weekend, they are in a losing season...not the best bargaining power.)

RPS
11-30-2017, 02:30 PM
Apparently Chip Kelly listens to advice from David Cutcliffe. According to ESPN (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21602533/chip-kelly-had-pick-job-here-why-chose-ucla), he took less money to go to UCLA because of what he learned from Cut.

That group that met with Kelly included Guerrero [the AD], university chancellor Gene Block and associate athletic director for external relations Josh Rebholz. They met at a residence Block has in the city and spent several hours getting to know each other and sharing their respective visions for how a program should be run.

For Kelly, the meeting was key because he had already determined his decision on where to coach would not necessarily be based on the program's prestige or money. His priorities were elsewhere.

"Where would I fit the best and what's the best situation for me?" Kelly said. "Because it's a great game and I love football and I'm very, very passionate about it, but to be aligned and be with the right people is the most important thing."

He attributes that approach to advice from Duke coach David Cutcliffe, whom he spent time around in the spring.

OldPhiKap
11-30-2017, 03:38 PM
Apparently Chip Kelly listens to advice from David Cutcliffe. According to ESPN (http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21602533/chip-kelly-had-pick-job-here-why-chose-ucla), he took less money to go to UCLA because of what he learned from Cut.

That should make every Duke fan proud on several levels. I know that I am.

A-Tex Devil
11-30-2017, 03:47 PM
According to that article, FSU is basically in "Hurry up and decide" mode, not "here's some more money for you to stay" mode. And after a 6-6 season, you can't blame them. (Not saying he's not worth fighting for, but until they win their cupcake game this weekend, they are in a losing season...not the best bargaining power.)

If you believe FSU fans, they are sick of Jimbo doing this each year. He doesn't want to go to College Station, but his bluff was called and now he has to leave.

If you believe Aggie fans, the lure of SEC and bringing Texas A&M to football glory is too lucrative to pass up given their facilities and FSU's unwillingness to keep up with the arms' race.

I am sure it's somewhere in between -- Jimbo would prefer to stay, but the market is valuing him higher (both in pay and program investment) than FSU is willing to match, so it makes sense for him to go.

Either way, it is the strangest move since Bielema to Arkansas in my view, but on a much larger scale. Not dissimilar to Gary Anderson coming off a Big Ten CCG appearance going from Wisconsin to Oregon St. On the surface, a head-scratcher, but when you peel back the onion, things weren't all hunky dory, so the exit made more sense.

sagegrouse
11-30-2017, 03:50 PM
If you believe FSU fans, they are sick of Jimbo doing this each year. He doesn't want to go to College Station, but his bluff was called and now he has to leave.

If you believe Aggie fans, the lure of SEC and bringing Texas A&M to football glory is too lucrative to pass up given their facilities and FSU's unwillingness to keep up with the arms' race.

I am sure it's somewhere in between -- Jimbo would prefer to stay, but the market is valuing him higher (both in pay and program investment) than FSU is willing to match, so it makes sense for him to go.

Either way, it is the strangest move since Bielema to Arkansas in my view, but on a much larger scale. Not dissimilar to Gary Anderson coming off a Big Ten CCG appearance going from Wisconsin to Oregon St. On the surface, a head-scratcher, but when you peel back the onion, things weren't all hunky dory, so the exit made more sense.

FSU President John Thrasher mentioned that there are always "personalities" involved in these issues. I expect "personality #1" is Jimbo Fisher.

Olympic Fan
11-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Obviously, a lot of stuff on the NC State message boards about the Tennessee coaching search ... obviously, a lot of gloating since Doeren turned them down.

Great post: "It's pretty sad when you're getting mocked by NC State fans about how you are conducting your coaching search."

Funny line, but this might be the first search I've seen that's more inept than the State search after Herb Sendek bailed (and the Pack finally settled for Sidney Lowe)

DangerDevil
11-30-2017, 11:12 PM
Tennessee supposedly struck out again, Sumlin supposedly not interested. I am a little skeptical of the reporting source 😃

Doug Gottlieb

@GottliebShow
Good source - Sumlin not interested in #Tennessee job
7:42 PM - Nov 30, 2017
206 206 Replies 531 531 Retweets 1,074 1,074 likes

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/next-man-kevin-sumlin-reportedly-not-interested-tennessee/

Also reports starting to pop up that Jimbo Fisher and Texas A&M have agreed to a 10 year $75 million contract. I think that is roughly a $2 million dollar annual raise for Fisher. I think FSU is the better job but that is a pretty big incentive to leave.

DangerDevil
12-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Not surprising but Vols AD John Currie is out at Tennessee after the bungled coaching search.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 10:46 AM
Not surprising but Vols AD John Currie is out at Tennessee after the bungled coaching search.

According to ESPN, he was ordered back to Tennessee and told not to negotiate with Mike Leach, whom he was interviewing. Gotta wonder if they saw more protests on the horizon if he were to offer another coach with lots of controversial baggage.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21629194/tennessee-volunteers-athletic-director-john-currie-part-amid-tumultuous-coaching-search

ehdg
12-01-2017, 10:56 AM
According to ESPN, he was ordered back to Tennessee and told not to negotiate with Mike Leach, whom he was interviewing. Gotta wonder if they saw more protests on the horizon if he were to offer another coach with lots of controversial baggage.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21629194/tennessee-volunteers-athletic-director-john-currie-part-amid-tumultuous-coaching-search

Now this is a bit scary!! They're reporting that Phillip Fulmur will take a more active role in hiring the next HC for Tennessee. If he call up Coach Cut and asks will Coach Cut feel like he owes it to his old boss? I really hope not but one never knows they where supposedly very tight and Coach Cut did work for him before and after Ole Miss.

JasonEvans
12-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Now this is a bit scary!! They're reporting that Phillip Fulmur will take a more active role in hiring the next HC for Tennessee. If he call up Coach Cut and asks will Coach Cut feel like he owes it to his old boss? I really hope not but one never knows they where supposedly very tight and Coach Cut did work for him before and after Ole Miss.

The rumor mill says Fulmer has been sabotaging the coaching search and other stuff in the hope of becoming the new Tennessee AD.

-Jason "I'm not worried about Cut... he is happy and has no desire to go to a messy situation" Evans

vfefrenzy
12-01-2017, 11:51 AM
First, sorry to the person who asked me about Schiano. I meant to respond to you, but I didn't have time early in the week, and things have gone crazier since then.

Second, what the tar heel* is going on with this school? There is no part of this situation they haven't made a mess of. I thought the craziest part was going to be when they offered Doeren and we fans were praying to be rejected. Then we get to the verge of hiring a pretty good coach who seems to want the job, and we fire the AD to stop it from happening.

I need more basketball games to save me from utter despair.

*Dirtiest word I know

75Crazie
12-01-2017, 11:58 AM
... what the tar heel* is going on with this school? ...

*Dirtiest word I know
And this is a UT Vol, folks, making this statement. This begs for special commendation!

dudog84
12-01-2017, 12:12 PM
I agree. At some point you stop climbing the ladder and appreciate where you are. The guy has made enough money to retire many times over. His Wiki page says he was divorced a few years ago and has a kid with serious medical issues, so I'm guessing/hoping that issues other than football and money factor into this. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to uproot my family to move to College Station, TX (no offense) and jump out of one pressure cooker into another. But at the same time, perhaps he is miserable at FSU and is looking for a change of scenery. Regardless, I don't think the money would be driving this decision.

Unfortunately, it seems money drives most everything these days. Probably always has, I'm just getting more cynical by the day in the current environment.

A-Tex Devil
12-01-2017, 12:48 PM

How is Leach controversial other than being railroaded by a stage dad with an ESPN gig? #CJK5H

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 01:27 PM
How is Leach controversial other than being railroaded by a stage dad with an ESPN gig? #CJK5H

More than one player in his past has accused him of physical abuse. After Schiano, it's an accusation that UT might not want to deal with.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2017, 01:30 PM
Jimbo out at FSU. Color me confused by his choice.

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 01:42 PM

Wasn't Jimbo Bobby Sr's hand picked successor?

DangerDevil
12-01-2017, 01:53 PM

I agree that FSU is the better job but I think Jimbo had wornout his welcome and was ready to get outta town. The Aggies reported $75 million was a pretty good parting gift.

Stray Gator
12-01-2017, 01:57 PM

I think Dumbo resorted to his annual public whining for more money and fancier facilities one time too many -- and picked a particularly bad time to wail, after a season in which the Noles had to scramble late to reschedule a cupcake game just to limp into a .500 record and keep their bowl streak alive. It appears to me that, in the process, he miscalculated his indispensability, pushed his protest too far, and snookered himself out of a huge buyout from FSU. But he did manage to hoodwink TAMU into giving him a fat contract. Without another Jameis Winston, and having to face (IMO) more consistently tough opponents in the SEC each season, I doubt he'll be able to compile a better record than Sumlin.

budwom
12-01-2017, 02:19 PM
I think Dumbo resorted to his annual public whining for more money and fancier facilities one time too many -- and picked a particularly bad time to wail, after a season in which the Noles had to scramble late to reschedule a cupcake game just to limp into a .500 record and keep their bowl streak alive. It appears to me that, in the process, he miscalculated his indispensability, pushed his protest too far, and snookered himself out of a huge buyout from FSU. But he did manage to hoodwink TAMU into giving him a fat contract. Without another Jameis Winston, and having to face (IMO) more consistently tough opponents in the SEC each season, I doubt he'll be able to compile a better record than Sumlin.

I also think it's true that the gargantuan mess his ex wife made did him no favors, as interesting as some of the stories may have been.

PackMan97
12-01-2017, 02:21 PM

The coaching search at Tennesse has cost the job of the recently hired AD Currie. ESPN is reporting he's being canned due to the incompetent job search. Phil Fulmer will now head the coaching search. Rocky Top could owe Currie as much as $5.5 million if he's fired without cause.

Tripping William
12-01-2017, 02:34 PM

As a colleague of mine said (he's also a Gator, in the interest of full disclosure): "So that means that FSU is a 'stepping stone' to a program that hasn’t won a conference title since 1998 or a National Championship since 1939…"

CameronBornAndBred
12-01-2017, 03:55 PM

Looks like Fulmer will sign a 2 year contract as UT's new AD.

vfefrenzy
12-01-2017, 04:26 PM
We've got a volunteer for UT's next coach: https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/936650846082949121/photo/1

tux
12-01-2017, 05:53 PM
We've got a volunteer for UT's next coach: https://twitter.com/RicFlairNatrBoy/status/936650846082949121/photo/1

I hope you guys realize this absolutely puts our coach back in play...

75Crazie
12-01-2017, 06:08 PM
No, it doesn't, I feel confident in saying that will never happen.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2017, 06:43 PM

How does it put him in play when he already said "no thanks?"

tux
12-01-2017, 06:46 PM
How does it put him in play when he already said "no thanks?"

Because of his history with Fulmer and the $4 million salary. I hope not, but I think Fulmer will reach out to Cutcliffe again.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
12-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Because of his history with Fulmer and the $4 million salary. I hope not, but I think Fulmer will reach out to Cutcliffe again.

I guess. I just don't see the same question getting a different answer just because it comes from a different person.

chris13
12-01-2017, 06:59 PM
As a colleague of mine said (he's also a Gator, in the interest of full disclosure): "So that means that FSU is a 'stepping stone' to a program that hasn’t won a conference title since 1998 or a National Championship since 1939…"

If only Jimbo were smart he would have gone 8-0 against Florida, instead of 7-1. Having said that I believe it was Steve Spurrier who said not to stay too long in one place. Something about every year they like you a little less and you like the place a little more. In fact maybe the old ball coach could continue his tour of the SEC East and take the Tennessee job. Can't see him working for Fulmer, though.

Finally, if they have $8 million a year to pay the coach they have money to pay the players.

Tripping William
12-01-2017, 07:00 PM
I guess. I just don't see the same question getting a different answer just because it comes from a different person.

And UTK is certainly no *less* a dumpster fire now than it was when he last said no. In fact, to mix metaphors, they’ve dog-gak’ed this (orange and all) even more since then.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2017, 07:38 PM

I don't believe Coach Cutcliffe will be influenced by money at this point in his career. That point is reinforced in recent interviews of Chip Kelly who cited Coach Cutcliffe's advice before Kelly accepted his next coaching job. Coach Cutcliffe has also spoken of Duke as his dream job. Even with his friend Phil Fulmer conducting the search, the other criterion Coach will use is whether the job is a good fit for him and what he wants to accomplish. He's been there twice and turned Tennessee down during two different searches.

Olympic Fan
12-01-2017, 07:40 PM
I think Jimbo jumped to get to an easier conference.

He's leaving the best division of the best conference over the last two years ... moving admittedly to the second best division in college football in the second-best conference.

I know people don't like to admit that but in 2016 and 2017, the ACC has been better than the SEC and the ACC Atlantic Division is better than the SEC West.

Look and what FSU faces in the coming years, compared to what Texas A&M faces:

1) Clemson instead of Alabama ... the two have been close, but the two teams have split the last two national title games. Clemson is currently No. 1 in the rankings, while Bama is No. 5 (and out of the playoffs at the moment) ... very slight edge to Clemson.

2) Miami (not in the Atlantic, but they are FSU's partner and they meet every year) vs. Auburn/ I know that 2-loss Auburn is ranked slightly higher than one-loss Miami, but over the last seven years, both programs have won exactly 56 games. Auburn might finish as the slightly better team this year, but Fisher knows that Richt is recruiting like crazy at Miami and will have the 'Canes back to superpower status very soon (if they are not there already).Note Texas A&N's crossover partner is South Carolina.

3) Louisville-NC State vs. LSU-Mississippi State
4) Wake Forest-BC-Syracuse vs. Ole Miss-Arkansas -- note the only team in the Atlantic not going to a bowl this year is Syracuse. Every other Atlantic team is in a bowl for at least the second straight year. In the SEC West, Arkansas is in shambles and Ole Miss is facing major NCAA penalties.

4) Florida vs. ?? FSU plays Florida every year, home and away. Texas AIM used to have a rivalry like that with Texas, but they haven't played since 2011. I know Florida is down, but it has been a superpower very recently.

5) Notre Dame vs. ?? Because of the ACC contract with Notre Dame, FSU will be scheduled to play Notre Dame at least one year in three.

Meanwhile, the SEC is in turmoil with new coaches almost everywhere (even Auburn's Gus Malzan is rumored to be looking at Arkansas). After Saban is there a good coach in the league? The ACC has better coaches and more stability (at least two ACC coaches turned down Tennessee).

Anyway, it was a no brainer for Fisher -- more money and an easier annual schedule.

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Budweiser's now involved in the Tennessee search for a new football coach. The company is offering free beer to anyone who turns down the Volunteers.

devildeac
12-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Budweiser's now involved in the Tennessee search for a new football coach. The company is offering free beer to anyone who turns down the Volunteers.

If I accept the Volunteers' HC job, may I turn down the free "beer?"

:o:rolleyes:

Stray Gator
12-01-2017, 08:36 PM
. . . I know people don't like to admit that but in 2016 and 2017, the ACC has been better than the SEC . . . .

As an alumnus, fan, and season-ticket holder of schools with a team in each of those conferences -- FWIW, I attended four Duke games and six Florida games this season, and watched most of the games of both teams that I was unable to attend in person -- it doesn't really matter much to me which is regarded as "better." I'm delighted that I get to see high quality college football in both conferences; indeed, of the last ten national championships, nine have been from either the SEC (7) or the ACC (2).

But for the record, so far in 2017 the SEC leads the head-to-head matchups by a 5-4 margin. (Of course, the playoffs and bowl games may alter those numbers.) And while the ACC had the better record against the SEC in 2016 by an impressive 10-4 count, the SEC came out on top in 2015 by a tally of 6-4. In fact, although the SEC held the upper hand pretty consistently through 2013, the conferences have alternated winning records against one another since then. So I'd be cautious about declaring that either conference is currently "better" than the other.

budwom
12-02-2017, 09:16 AM
I really wouldn't consider the UT job to be more money for Cutcliffe when you realize that if he has a few mediocre seasons at UT he'll be cut loose, versus
a pretty solid tenured position at Duke. Six wins a year at Duke (and a bowl) will keep him on easy street.

Bob Green
12-02-2017, 01:56 PM
Rice has fired their head coach and one of the candidates to replace him is South Carolina OC Kurt Roper:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/Rice-fires-head-coach-david-Bailiff

Among the candidates expected to get consideration for the Rice vacancy are Stanford defensive coordinator Lance Anderson as well as Cardinal offensive coordinator Mike Bloomgren and South Carolina OC Kurt Roper, a former Owls player.

If Roper gets the job, he will need to assemble a staff so perhaps he will ask his brother to join him in Houston.

devildeac
12-02-2017, 02:10 PM
Rice has fired their head coach and one of the candidates to replace him is South Carolina OC Kurt Roper:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/Rice-fires-head-coach-david-Bailiff

If Roper gets the job, he will need to assemble a staff so perhaps he will ask his brother to join him in Houston.

I see what you did there. Was it at one of our tailgates this year that we discussed the Gamecock's dissatisfaction with their current OC? :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2017, 02:33 PM

Yes please. Regardless of Zac, it's cool that Kurt is being looked at.

Bob Green
12-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Was it at one of our tailgates this year that we discussed the Gamecock's dissatisfaction with their current OC? :rolleyes:

Yep. One of my co-workers is a Gamecocks fan and he has commented multiple times about needing an OC.

DangerDevil
12-02-2017, 03:51 PM
UCF’s game isn’t done yet but ESPN is reporting that Scott Frost is leaving for Nebraska.

Wander
12-02-2017, 03:53 PM
UCF’s game isn’t done yet but ESPN is reporting that Scott Frost is leaving for Nebraska.

Everyone knew this was happening but lmao/wtf at the timing of the reports coming out at the start of UCF's double overtime championship game.

DangerDevil
12-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Everyone knew this was happening but lmao/wtf at the timing of the reports coming out at the start of UCF's double overtime championship game.

I don't think they were counting on the game going to overtime when they came up with time of the release!

OldPhiKap
12-02-2017, 05:02 PM

The Navy is relentless. ;-)

peloton
12-02-2017, 10:05 PM
Yes please...

If Zac runs, take a drink.

I will be. ;)

Hingeknocker
12-04-2017, 09:55 AM
Returning to the Herm Edwards to Arizona State news, the press release that ASU put out to announce the hire makes me even more bearish on this than I already was:

The department's New Leadership Model will be similar to an NFL approach using a general manager structure. It's a collaborative approach to managing the ASU football program that includes sport and administrative divisions, which will operate as distinct, but collective units focused on elevating all aspects of Sun Devil Football. This structure will allow the department to form a multi-layered method to the talent evaluation and recruiting processes, increase its emphasis on both student-athlete and coach development and retention, and provide a boost in resource allocation and generation.

"Our goal for this football program is to reach unprecedented heights, and therefore we need to find a way to operate more innovatively and efficiently than we have in the past," Anderson said. "In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

I look forward to seeing the answer to the question, "What happens if we turn our football program over to some marketing consultants?"

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/3/16732520/herm-edwards-hired-arizona-state-head-coach-announcement

sagegrouse
12-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Returning to the Herm Edwards to Arizona State news, the press release that ASU put out to announce the hire makes me even more bearish on this than I already was:

I look forward to seeing the answer to the question, "What happens if we turn our football program over to some marketing consultants?"

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/12/3/16732520/herm-edwards-hired-arizona-state-head-coach-announcement

Interesting development. Could it be a healthy sign? Here is a school that is not trying to hire a head coach that becomes an all-knowing divinity who controls every stinking thing at the university, including the AD and the president.

Hingeknocker
12-04-2017, 11:36 AM
Interesting development. Could it be a healthy sign? Here is a school that is not trying to hire a head coach that becomes an all-knowing divinity who controls every stinking thing at the university, including the AD and the president.

I agree that the head football coach's power should be appropriately balanced within the university. I'm just extremely skeptical that a guy 20-years removed from college football, combined with some marketing buzzwords that don't mean anything, is the right answer.

BigWayne
12-04-2017, 06:03 PM

More like an MBA class project. It's going to be a disaster,

Wander
12-04-2017, 06:15 PM
I agree that the head football coach's power should be appropriately balanced within the university. I'm just extremely skeptical that a guy 20-years removed from college football, combined with some marketing buzzwords that don't mean anything, is the right answer.

I'm pretty sure I could have read the quote you posted with the school name removed and guessed it was Arizona State. Do you think all the press conferences will be held in the form of TED talks? Will plays be called by fans voting via a startup smartphone app? I'm sure this will all turn out really well for ASU.

Hingeknocker
12-05-2017, 10:54 AM
I'm stealing this joke from the multiple times I saw it on Twitter yesterday, but this sums up the ASU hire neatly:

Apologies to any Fuqua grads on here, but this is what happens when people take you guys too seriously. I'm excited to watch this go down in flames for ASU, though.

Dev11
12-05-2017, 12:16 PM
There's some cognitive dissonance in hiring an old school football guy who hasn't been involved in college football in your players' lifetimes and then restructuring the program around new business models. Maybe Herm won't be asked to do as much and can spend more time motivating and demonstrating good enunciation?

throatybeard
12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
If only Jimbo were smart he would have gone 8-0 against Florida, instead of 7-1.

I'm glad you demonstrated the respect to call him by his actual name. That's apparently in short supply in this thread.

throatybeard
12-05-2017, 02:51 PM
I think Jimbo jumped to get to an easier conference.

He's leaving the best division of the best conference over the last two years ... moving admittedly to the second best division in college football in the second-best conference.

I know people don't like to admit that but in 2016 and 2017, the ACC has been better than the SEC and the ACC Atlantic Division is better than the SEC West.

Look and what FSU faces in the coming years, compared to what Texas A&M faces:

1) Clemson instead of Alabama ... the two have been close, but the two teams have split the last two national title games. Clemson is currently No. 1 in the rankings, while Bama is No. 5 (and out of the playoffs at the moment) ... very slight edge to Clemson.

2) Miami (not in the Atlantic, but they are FSU's partner and they meet every year) vs. Auburn/ I know that 2-loss Auburn is ranked slightly higher than one-loss Miami, but over the last seven years, both programs have won exactly 56 games. Auburn might finish as the slightly better team this year, but Fisher knows that Richt is recruiting like crazy at Miami and will have the 'Canes back to superpower status very soon (if they are not there already).Note Texas A&N's crossover partner is South Carolina.

3) Louisville-NC State vs. LSU-Mississippi State
4) Wake Forest-BC-Syracuse vs. Ole Miss-Arkansas -- note the only team in the Atlantic not going to a bowl this year is Syracuse. Every other Atlantic team is in a bowl for at least the second straight year. In the SEC West, Arkansas is in shambles and Ole Miss is facing major NCAA penalties.

4) Florida vs. ?? FSU plays Florida every year, home and away. Texas AIM used to have a rivalry like that with Texas, but they haven't played since 2011. I know Florida is down, but it has been a superpower very recently.

5) Notre Dame vs. ?? Because of the ACC contract with Notre Dame, FSU will be scheduled to play Notre Dame at least one year in three.

Meanwhile, the SEC is in turmoil with new coaches almost everywhere (even Auburn's Gus Malzan is rumored to be looking at Arkansas). After Saban is there a good coach in the league? The ACC has better coaches and more stability (at least two ACC coaches turned down Tennessee).

Anyway, it was a no brainer for Fisher -- more money and an easier annual schedule.

I don't really have a stake in these territory fights over whose conference is better, but I find it difficult to believe that the SEC West is some sort of haven for people from the ACC, to escape to.

chris13
12-05-2017, 02:59 PM
I don't really have a stake in these territory fights over whose conference is better, but I find it difficult to believe that the SEC West is some sort of haven for people from the ACC, to escape to.

To bolster your point, the 2nd place team in the SEC West is Alabama and the 2nd place team in the Atlantic is NC State.

There is no way the coach at Texas A&M has an easier path to a CFP spot than the coach at Florida State.

budwom
12-05-2017, 03:25 PM
To bolster your point, the 2nd place team in the SEC West is Alabama and the 2nd place team in the Atlantic is NC State.

There is no way the coach at Texas A&M has an easier path to a CFP spot than the coach at Florida State.

agree with you guys heartily. tough to be objective, but Sagarin has ratings for all the major divisions, and SEC WEst is on top at 81.7, ACC Atlantic is second at 80.6, followed by Big Ten East, Pac 12 North,
Big 12, ACC Coastal (hello), Big 10 West, Pac12 South, and bringing up the rear by a solid margin is the SEC East.
p.s. Sagarin has Lewisville as second best in the ACC Atlantic, a tad ahead of State, does not change the conclusion.

Avvocato
12-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Willie Taggart is leaving Oregon to take over at FSU. Espn.com link is here: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21679513/willie-taggart-leaving-oregon-take-florida-state-coaching-job.

sagegrouse
12-05-2017, 04:28 PM

Rationale for Jimbo to leave FSU:

1. Money.

2. He wore out his welcome at FSU through constant demands for new facilities without building good personal relationships at the University and among the donors.

3. He had a very bad season. Perhaps it was an anomaly, but one more "anomaly" and he would be in real trouble in Tallahassee.

budwom
12-05-2017, 04:46 PM
^ hideous, high profile divorce was not helpful either.

luvdahops
12-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Rationale for Jimbo to leave FSU:

1. Money.

2. He wore out his welcome at FSU through constant demands for new facilities without building good personal relationships at the University and among the donors.

3. He had a very bad season. Perhaps it was an anomaly, but one more "anomaly" and he would be in real trouble in Tallahassee.

This plus the hideous, high profile divorce, as noted by budwom. I think Jumbo knew he was on shaky ground at FSU, and looked around for the best new alternative. While the SEC West's level of competition, top to bottom, may have fallen off in recent years, all 7 seven programs take football very seriously, with demanding ADs and fans that generally expect their teams to be ranked and play in higher profile bowls at a minimum. I don't think the same can be said for the ACC Atlantic, or the Big Ten East for that matter.

Olympic Fan
12-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Willie Taggart is leaving Oregon to take over at FSU. Espn.com link is here: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21679513/willie-taggart-leaving-oregon-take-florida-state-coaching-job.

Does anybody understand the appeal of Taggart?

I look as his resume and see that he took a bad Western Kentucky team to mediocrity. He took a slumping South Florida program, but one that averaged 8.5 wins a year between 2006-2010 under Jim Leavitt. He did improve that program back to where it was -- winning 2-4-8-10 games. Then he goes to Oregon and goes 7-5. I know that was better than the 4-8 record in 2016, but remember, the Ducks won 13 games in 2014 and were ranked No. 19 in the final poll in 2015. In that context, 7-5 isn't bad, but it's nothing to get excited about.

He was involved in a scandal there last spring, when three Oregon players were hospitalized after brutal off-season workouts. If I was an FSU fan, I'd be demonstrating for Greg Schiano.

Stray Gator
12-05-2017, 05:43 PM

I look as his resume and see that he took a bad Western Kentucky team to mediocrity. He took a slumping South Florida program, but one that averaged 8.5 wins a year between 2006-2010 under Jim Leavitt. He did improve that program back to where it was -- winning 2-4-8-10 games. Then he goes to Oregon and goes 7-5. I know that was better than the 4-8 record in 2016, but remember, the Ducks won 13 games in 2014 and were ranked No. 19 in the final poll in 2015. In that context, 7-5 isn't bad, but it's nothing to get excited about.

He was involved in a scandal there last spring, when three Oregon players were hospitalized after brutal off-season workouts. If I was an FSU fan, I'd be demonstrating for Greg Schiano.

Taggart brings with him the reputation of a highly effective recruiter in the Florida market. That's probably the main appeal. Whether he has the chops as a master of Xs and Os and game planning is likely a secondary consideration, because I'd expect the success of his teams, like most these days, to depend largely on the assistant coaches and staff he assembles.

dudog84
12-05-2017, 06:10 PM
I put the over/under on Jimbo at 5-1/2 years at Texas A&M. Not that I don't think he's a good coach (though I certainly don't think he's one of the three best), but they're paying him a lot of money to win now in a tough division of a tough conference and I don't foresee much patience.

He'll have a big pile of dough to cushion his fall.

OldPhiKap
12-05-2017, 06:26 PM

Wasn’t he Hedley LaMarr’s henchman?

DangerDevil
12-05-2017, 06:49 PM

As previously mentioned Taggart is concerned to be a great recuiter, particularly in his native Florida.

His record at Oregon could have been much better, they went 1 and 4 while their starting QB Justin Herbert was out with an injury.

CameronBornAndBred
12-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Ahhh...it's not about the money, it's about the harrumphs!

BigWayne
12-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Yep.http://www.suprmchaos.com/hedymelb13_randall.jpg

jjasper0729
12-06-2017, 08:24 AM

So when he has his first bad year, does that mean the boosters will work up a number 6 on him?

TKG
12-06-2017, 11:30 AM
The South Carolina version.....

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21688087/south-carolina-gamecocks-fire-offensive-coordinator-kurt-roper

Avvocato
12-06-2017, 12:22 PM
And now Chad Morris leaving SMU for Arkansas. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21688241/arkansas-razorbacks-finalize-deal-make-smu-chad-morris-coach

JasonEvans
12-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Thanks for reminding me of this amazing moment...

Taggart: I got it! I got it!
Hedley Lamarr: You do?
Taggart: We'll work up a Number 6 on 'em.
Hedley Lamarr: [frowns] "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.
Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a-whompin' and a-whumpin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.
Hedley Lamarr: You spare the women?
Taggart: Naw, we rape the !#^% out of them at the Number Six Dance later on.
Hedley Lamarr: Marvelous!

devildeac
12-08-2017, 05:40 PM
Oregon promotes Cristobal:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ap-source-oregon-to-promote-cristobal-to-head-coach/ar-BBGp2RD?ocid=iehp

OldPhiKap
12-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Thanks for reminding me of this amazing moment...

I hope this is not his recruiting strategy:

Taggart: What do you want me to do, sir?

Hedley Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down.

[Taggart looks for a pen and paper while Hedley talks]

Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull d***s, train robbers, bank robbers, [butt]-kickers, [butt]-kickers and Methodists.

Taggart: [finding pen and paper] Could you repeat that, sir?

CameronBornAndBred
12-08-2017, 06:30 PM

Hedley Lamarr: I want you to round up every vicious criminal and gunslinger in the west. Take this down.

Hedley Lamarr: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull d***s, train robbers, bank robbers, [butt]-kickers, [butt]-kickers and Methodists.

That was Frank Beamer's recruiting guidebook.

BD80
12-08-2017, 07:20 PM

Just don't let him help you look for "Froggy."

Jim3k
12-09-2017, 01:51 AM
And now Chad Morris leaving SMU for Arkansas. http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21688241/arkansas-razorbacks-finalize-deal-make-smu-chad-morris-coach

Boy, that video show a really hyped Morris. Maybe too hyped.

TKG
12-24-2017, 09:10 AM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/nc-state/article191320234.html

Reilly
12-24-2017, 09:54 AM

I want Al Groh and Ted Roof to write a book about working with Paul Johnson.

budwom
12-24-2017, 09:55 AM
whenever I think of Christmas cheer and good will towards men, I think of Paul Johnson.

CameronBornAndBred
12-24-2017, 09:56 AM

That seems so odd, unless he didn't like living in Atlanta. Why would he leave as DC to be a co-DC?

OldPhiKap
12-24-2017, 09:58 AM
I want Al Groh and Ted Roof to write a book about working with Paul Johnson.

whenever I think of Christmas cheer and good will towards men, I think of Paul Johnson.

The milk of human kindness flows freely through him, like an endless bounty of empathy and compassion cascading down upon the souls of the needy and oppressed.

TKG
12-24-2017, 10:14 AM
The milk of human kindness flows freely through him, like an endless bounty of empathy and compassion cascading down upon the souls of the needy and oppressed.

Step away from the still, OPK, step away.

OldPhiKap
12-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Step away from the still, OPK, step away.

Paul Johnson is truly a beautiful person. Alas, a prophet is never loved in his own land I suppose.

Also, I’m drunk.

Reilly
12-24-2017, 10:26 AM
That seems so odd, unless he didn't like living in Atlanta. Why would he leave as DC to be a co-DC?

Serious question: has anyone ever liked living in Atlanta?

It sounds like maybe he was going to be fired? That, or wanted to avoid having too many laugh lines from working daily with PJ.

arnie
12-24-2017, 10:35 AM

It sounds like maybe he was going to be fired? That, or wanted to avoid having too many laugh lines from working daily with PJ.

Agree - he knew he was on the chopping block.

Acymetric
12-24-2017, 11:08 AM

Was he "associate head coach" in Atlanta or just the coordinator?

OldPhiKap
12-24-2017, 11:14 AM

I did.

Daddylawman
12-24-2017, 11:46 AM

I do - love it. Nowhere I'd rather be.

chrishoke
12-24-2017, 12:07 PM
Was he "associate head coach" in Atlanta or just the coordinator?

Here is how he is listed on the GT official site.

Ted Roof - Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers

They don't have an offensive coordinator. I guess Paul Johnson is offensive enough on his own.

budwom
12-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Maybe there's nothing wrong with living in Atlanta, but you can't get anywhere from there given their sclerotic road system, and their airport can't even figure out how to
keep the lights on. (Hint to facilities department: don't locate your backup electrical sytem directly next to where the primary system resides, you dolts).

throatybeard
12-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Certainly Atlanta is Atlanta. They're on TV more than Leave it to Beaver, reruns.

Green Wave Dukie
12-24-2017, 01:49 PM
Maybe there's nothing wrong with living in Atlanta, but you can't get anywhere from there given their sclerotic road system, and their airport can't even figure out how to
keep the lights on. (Hint to facilities department: don't locate your backup electrical sytem directly next to where the primary system resides, you dolts).

Amen to that. My daughter flew thru Hartsfield last Sunday. No fun.

devildeac
12-24-2017, 02:10 PM

Two words:

Bah.

Humbug.

OldPhiKap
12-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Two words:

Chop

Block.

FIFY.

sagegrouse
12-24-2017, 05:06 PM
This year Georgia Tech was 33rd in Div. I in yards allowed per game, which ain't bad, but 66th in points allowed per game, which ain't good. Both were better than the Jackets' offensive performance, 71st and 70th, respectively.

Duke was 22nd in YPG-defense and 25th in points per game. Duke was 93rd in YPG-offense and 84th in PPG-offense.

devildeac
12-24-2017, 10:38 PM
FIFY.

That works, too.

:mad::mad: