PDA

View Full Version : Travel Plans to IU

Hauerwas
11-25-2017, 09:32 PM
What’s our itinerary look like heading from Oregon to Indiana? I️ circled that game as a trap game based on the schedule and intensive travel we’ll be doing. The team isn’t flying all the way back to NC are they? Really tough turnaround even if we were playing at home.

Bluedog
11-25-2017, 09:40 PM
What’s our itinerary look like heading from Oregon to Indiana? I️ circled that game as a trap game based on the schedule and intensive travel we’ll be doing. The team isn’t flying all the way back to NC are they? Really tough turnaround even if we were playing at home.

I would assume they're going back to Durham so they can go to class on Monday and Tuesday. But yes, tough turnaround considering probably won't get back to Durham until like 5am. At least it's a Wednesday game and not Tuesday.

duke2x
11-25-2017, 09:42 PM
The game is Wednesday. I can't see Duke skipping 3 days of school, but practice will be very limited. The team flies charter. The Athletic Department has considered leaving the cheerleaders/mascot/band out west when flying commercial before, but that situation never materialized.

Indiana is 4-2 with only one quality opponent (big L @Seton Hall). Pomeroy would favor Duke by 17 at a neutral site, which is the same for BC. I think we pull out a tough one here, but I am glad we aren't playing Purdue or Minnesota.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-25-2017, 09:50 PM
I would assume they're going back to Durham so they can go to class on Monday and Tuesday. But yes, tough turnaround considering probably won't get back to Durham until like 5am. At least it's a Wednesday game and not Tuesday.

5 am is very optimistic. The game will end around 1am ET. By the time they shower, handle media responsibilities and get to the airport, they will be lucky to take off before 3 am. Assuming it is a roughly 5 hour flight, by the time they get to campus, completely exhausted, they will have already missed early Monday classes, and will likely be too tired to focus in any other classes.

They can then go to Tuesday classes before hopping on a plane to Indiana, missing Wednesday classes, then having a much shorter red-eye back to try to go to school Thursday.

Sorry to sound like an old fogey, but a schedule like this not long before exams really does de-emphasize the "student" in student-athlete. Though I prefer it to us having lost on Friday and having an earlier game, I don't see why they made the game so late.

Now get off my lawn!

WiJoe
11-25-2017, 10:01 PM
Don't remember where, but Coach K said they get back to Durham at 9 a.m. Monday.

Bluedog
11-25-2017, 10:05 PM
5 am is very optimistic. The game will end around 1am ET. By the time they shower, handle media responsibilities and get to the airport, they will be lucky to take off before 3 am. Assuming it is a roughly 5 hour flight, by the time they get to campus, completely exhausted, they will have already missed early Monday classes, and will likely be too tired to focus in any other classes.

They can then go to Tuesday classes before hopping on a plane to Indiana, missing Wednesday classes, then having a much shorter red-eye back to try to go to school Thursday.

Sorry to sound like an old fogey, but a schedule like this not long before exams really does de-emphasize the "student" in student-athlete. Though I prefer it to us having lost on Friday and having an earlier game, I don't see why they made the game so late.

Now get off my lawn!

Yeah somehow I forgot that it's a LONG flight back...and I agree with your other point. It's basically impossible for these guys to be dedicated students this time of year when basketball/transit takes up SO much time. It's not quite the Ivy League which intentionally schedules games on Friday and Saturday only during conference play to have as minimal disruption to academics as possible. I really don't understand how these guys do it.

juise
11-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Don't remember where, but Coach K said they get back to Durham at 9 a.m. Monday.

I’m pretty sure that it was the Southern or Furman post-game presser. That’s consistent with my recollection.

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 12:33 AM
Duke definitely returns to Durham from Portland very early Monday morning.

The team will leave for Bloomington in Tuesday afternoon.

They will return to Durham before dawn on Thursday.

They'll play a home game Saturday and another on Tuesday

... then Friday, they get on a plane and fly to Boston for the ACC opener vs. BC

Then they get 11 days off ... have one home game with Evansville, then get another 10 days off (for Christmas) before FSU visits Cameron.

Newton_14
11-26-2017, 06:27 AM

Agree totally. I don't know how good IU is, but this is setting up just like the year we got smoked at OSU on a Tuesday Night after winning the Maui Tourney and then travelling all the way back to the East Coast. I remember Capel, (I think) being quoted as something like "we knew when we got off the bus at OSU we had nothing left in the tank"... or something to that effect. It was the one year Silent G played for us.

I hope this year is a different outcome but the PK80 has been very hard on the team in the two wins and I expect the same in today's game.