PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre: Entire Alabama Bench Ejected

Native
11-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Here's something you don't see every day: the entire Alabama bench was ejected after an on-court brawl with Minnesota (https://twitter.com/ZachHalverson/status/934567242527838214). Furthermore, one of Alabama's starters fouled out, meaning they're playing 5-on-4 basketball for over 10:00 in the second half.

A fan has also been ejected from the game.

ETA: after an injury, Alabama is playing 5-on-3.

TruBlu
11-25-2017, 06:53 PM
They probably all wanted to be in the locker room anyway watching the Alabama football game. By the score, they’re not happy with that either.

uh_no
11-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Here's something you don't see every day: the entire Alabama bench was ejected after an on-court brawl with Minnesota (https://twitter.com/ZachHalverson/status/934567242527838214). Furthermore, one of Alabama's starters fouled out, meaning they're playing 5-on-4 basketball for over 10:00 in the second half.

holy cow. is the game on anywhere?

dukieox
11-25-2017, 07:10 PM
holy cow. is the game on anywhere?

This seems to be a legit stream. What a crazy game.

https://www.facebook.com/762835023903256/videos/780207395499352

DukieInKansas
11-25-2017, 07:12 PM
This seems to be a legit stream. What a crazy game.

https://www.facebook.com/762835023903256/videos/780207395499352

And they are only down 7. What was the score when the ejection festival occurred?

uh_no
11-25-2017, 07:14 PM
And they are only down 7. What was the score when the ejection festival occurred?

looks like they were down 14 at one point and still closed it to 5.....not sure if they played 4 or 3 for the end, but still awesome effort....

Hope a full game replay gets posted somewhere...would love to watch.

hallcity
11-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Does that mean they're also out for the next game as well?

Native
11-25-2017, 07:17 PM
looks like they were down 14 at one point and still closed it to 5....not sure if they played 4 or 3 for the end, but still awesome effort...

Hope a full game replay gets posted somewhere...would love to watch.

Apparently, they outscored Minnesota 30-22 while playing 5-on-3.

Wander
11-25-2017, 07:29 PM
That was awesome. But even if Minnesota wins 30 games, they should be banned from the tournament for getting outscored.

ChillinDuke
11-25-2017, 07:30 PM
How the heck did they outscore Minnesota while 5-on-3?!?! Boggles the mind!

- Chillin

duke4ever19
11-25-2017, 07:42 PM
How the heck did they outscore Minnesota while 5-on-3?!?! Boggles the mind!

- Chillin

Minnesota just started taking jump shots and I was watching it unfold and thinking "Is Pitino insane?"

The moment they took a jump shot against only 3 defenders I would have called a timeout and given them what-for. Instead, they probably took something like 8-10 completely unnecessary shots which kept Alabama within striking distance. They seemed to be completely incapable of exploiting a 2-1 zone Alabama was having to run.

fuse
11-25-2017, 08:02 PM
Watched about the last 8 minutes.

What a spectacle. Not sure basketball has seen anything like it before, or will again.

Collin Sexton is quite a player.

An interesting view on human nature.
Basically guaranteed a win, Minnesota drained the clock, made lots of passes, and got completely out of rhythm, and took bad shots, and let Alabama back in the game.

On the other end, Sexton was scoring while triple teamed.

Quite a fun game to enjoy considering Duke was not involved.

75Crazie
11-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Minnesota just started taking jump shots and I was watching it unfold and thinking "Is Pitino insane?" .
Pitino was ejected prior to the Alabama bench ejections.

subzero02
11-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Minnesota just started taking jump shots and I was watching it unfold and thinking "Is Pitino insane?"

The moment they took a jump shot against only 3 defenders I would have called a timeout and given them what-for. Instead, they probably took something like 8-10 completely unnecessary shots which kept Alabama within striking distance. They seemed to be completely incapable of exploiting a 2-1 zone Alabama was having to run.

This has had me laughing for about 3 minutes straight. I can't imagine a 2-1 zone... I must find a replay.

duke4ever19
11-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Pitino was ejected prior to the Alabama bench ejections.

Pitino was only given a technical, not ejected. He was still on the sidelines coaching till the end of the game.

PackMan97
11-25-2017, 08:56 PM
What a spectacle. Not sure basketball has seen anything like it before, or will again.

Rick Barnes and Clemon say hello from Cheater Hill circa late January 1998.

From what I recall six Clemson players fouled out. Clemson was called for over 40 fouls and the Cheaters took almost 60 free throws. Clemson had to finish the game playing only 4 players. They outscored the Tarcheats 8-4 while shorthanded. Clemson lost 88-79.

75Crazie
11-25-2017, 08:56 PM
My bad, I read the article wrong, a Minnesota player was ejected and Pitino did indeed get just the one technical foul. He would have been better off getting ejected, this (getting out-scored 5-on-3) won't look good on his resume.

juise
11-25-2017, 08:57 PM
If anyone finds a clip of the post-ejection play, I am also curious. Google wasn’t immediately available.

Bluedog
11-25-2017, 09:00 PM
If anyone finds a clip of the post-ejection play, I am also curious. Google wasn’t immediately available.

Here's a fun one:

https://streamable.com/xq3fj

duke4ever19
11-25-2017, 09:12 PM
My bad, I read the article wrong, a Minnesota player was ejected and Pitino did indeed get just the one technical foul. He would have been better off getting ejected, this (getting out-scored 5-on-3) won't look good on his resume.

No worries. And you are correct, it was bizarre that he just let them hoist jumpers.

One of my Minnesota friends texted me trying to argue that it was Minnesota's way of "showing mercy" to Alabama, but I'm not buying that for a second, because Bama was within three points with over a minute on the clock and Colin Sexton on the floor (finished with 40 points).

If you are in that situation, winning by 5 points is not any indication of "showing mercy." You show mercy by getting some dang layups, get up by 15+ points and then letting off the gas pedal a bit.

weezie
11-25-2017, 09:14 PM
As long as there wasn't any actionable clapping I guess we're all safe...for now.

BD80
11-25-2017, 09:38 PM
As long as there wasn't any actionable clapping I guess we're all safe...for now.

I just watched the replay ...

The "excuse" for ejecting the bench was that the every bench player left the bench area during a "potential situation" and thus were ejected without further penalty such as a technical.

In reality, the bench rose in unison and began a well choreographed sardonic clap, in syncopated wave form. Ref turned and threw them all out.

ipatent
11-25-2017, 09:49 PM
Bad day for Crimson Tide sports.

devildeac
11-25-2017, 11:19 PM

From what I recall six Clemson players fouled out. Clemson was called for over 40 fouls and the Cheaters took almost 60 free throws. Clemson had to finish the game playing only 4 players. They outscored the Tarcheats 8-4 while shorthanded. Clemson lost 88-79.

I (angrily) related that story to my wife as our younger son-in-law told me about the game tonight. Dirty, rotten, lying cheating scum. Have been for decades and will be for several more.

Newton_14
11-25-2017, 11:39 PM

Guys, it was a sportsmanship deal. Pitino had them hold the ball until the shot clock went down to 1 or 2 seconds and then take a jumpshot. They could have scored at will but they chose to simply win the game vs crushing Bama by 40 or something. Rightly or wrongly that's how it remained closer than expected.

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 12:05 AM
Guys, it was a sportsmanship deal. Pitino had them hold the ball until the shot clock went down to 1 or 2 seconds and then take a jumpshot. They could have scored at will but they chose to simply win the game vs crushing Bama by 40 or something. Rightly or wrongly that's how it remained closer than expected.

You are trying to tell me that Pitino was okay with his team being only up three points with around a 1:30 left in regulation vs a team with three players on the floor? Colin Sexton (he of the 40 point game today) was still on the floor. Did you watch this game? I did. It was uncomfortably close, if you are a Minnesota fan.

Sorry, but you can be a good sportsman, by getting a 10-15 point lead and then taking your foot off the gas. I don't believe for a second that Pitino was okay with how close that score was with Alabama having only three players on the floor.

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 12:19 AM
In 1961, Duke and UNC met for the first time in history when both teams were ranked in the top 5 nationally.

It was a historic game -- the one that ended when Larry Brown and Donnie Walsh mugged Art Heyman, starting the worst on-court brawl in ACC history.

What people don't generally remember is that the bad blood started early. The varsity contest was preceded by a freshman game, where UNC unleashed some thug tactics against a superior Duke freshman team (one with Jeff Mullins, Jay Buckley and Buzzy Harrison). There were two fights and so many fouls that UNC ended the game with just three players on the court.

I thought of that today when I watched the end of the Minnesota-Alabama game. And Richie Pitino may have started by slowing things down and trying to be generous, but it certainly wasn't that way the entire final 10 minutes. Bama cut the lead to two points with just one a minute left (83-81) and were within three with the ball a few seconds later -- when Sexton took and missed a shot from just inside the arch. It got extremely tense for the Gophers until that miss (which led to a breakaway and a three-point play).

subzero02
11-26-2017, 12:29 AM
You are trying to tell me that Pitino was okay with his team being only up three points with around a 1:30 left in regulation vs a team with three players on the floor? Colin Sexton (he of the 40 point game today) was still on the floor. Did you watch this game? I did. It was uncomfortably close, if you are a Minnesota fan.

Sorry, but you can be a good sportsman, by getting a 10-15 point lead and then taking your foot off the gas. I don't believe for a second that Pitino was okay with how close that score was with Alabama having only three players on the floor.

I agree with your assessment based on the limited video of the game I viewed on twitter. The two things that truly stick out: 1. Sexton is a bad man 2. If you have Sexton on your team, you only need two other guys to be competitive.
After scoring 7 unanswered points playing 3 on 5, Sexton had the ball with Bama down 80 to 83 and 1 min 30 seconds left in rregulation. The only one being shown mercy was Minnesota. The basketball gods decided that the Gophers wouldn't play the role of the antagonist in Sexton's tale of victory.

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 12:45 AM
I agree with your assessment based on the limited video of the game I viewed on twitter. The two things that truly stick out: 1. Sexton is a bad man 2. If you have Sexton on your team, you only need two other guys to be competitive.
After scoring 7 unanswered points playing 3 on 5, Sexton had the ball with Bama down 80 to 83 and 1 min 30 seconds left in rregulation. The only one being shown mercy was Minnesota. The basketball gods decided that the Gopher's wouldn't play the antagonists role in Sexton's tale of victory.

To be clear, I totally get Pitino's intentions. He wanted to be a good sportsman.

Turning the game into a glorified layup drill for Minnesota would be a bad look and draw bad press and some boos. However, there is nothing wrong with holding the ball till there's 5-6 seconds on the shot clock and then getting a layup. Once the lead is up to 10-15, then hold the ball and settle for long jumpers.

I just think Pitino was unwise here. Nice guy. Good instinct to "ease up." Bad coaching decision to let them eat up clock and then hoist up long jump shots with a one-to-two possession game, even if there's three guys on the other side.

InSpades
11-26-2017, 03:34 AM
To be clear, I totally get Pitino's intentions. He wanted to be a good sportsman.

Turning the game into a glorified layup drill for Minnesota would be a bad look and draw bad press and some boos. However, there is nothing wrong with holding the ball till there's 5-6 seconds on the shot clock and then getting a layup. Once the lead is up to 10-15, then hold the ball and settle for long jumpers.

I just think Pitino was unwise here. Nice guy. Good instinct to "ease up." Bad coaching decision to let them eat up clock and then hoist up long jump shots with a one-to-two possession game, even if there's three guys on the other side.

There was absolutely no "nice guy" or "taking it easy" on Alabama here. The only reason Minnesota slowed it down a bit was because they were worried they would lose their lead (against 3 players!). They almost never waited until the shot clock was low. Minnesota was trying to win the game and were failing against 3 players.

Layups? Against 3 men standing in the lane? Not that easy, even 5 on 3. It's not like Alabama was going to chase you outside the key.

You can watch the entire game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIe6Yj9wI0

Alabama just outplayed them.

Newton_14
11-26-2017, 06:15 AM

That's fair. I agree letting it get that close was stupid.

slower
11-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Watching this replay makes me confident that I could learn to hate college basketball as much as I hate pro football. Bunch of thugs - just play the game and shut up.

Henderson
11-26-2017, 07:59 AM
That's fair. I agree letting it get that close was stupid.

But it worked out for Pitino in the end, so there's that.

Besides, there is some thrill to seeing how far you can let the needle drop into the red without running out of gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDnAzGpxR4k

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2017, 08:21 AM
Watching this replay makes me confident that I could learn to hate college basketball as much as I hate pro football. Bunch of thugs - just play the game and shut up.

What are you talking about? It was definitely a weird and volatile situation - I thought it particularly strange that the announcers kept referring to the "playground atmosphere" and the "emotional court side fans," - and the way the game played out was rather fascinating, but I would ask you two things:

A) What did you see that was thuggish? Was it just the chatter? Watch Grayson Allen sometime. Was it the players on the bench standing up and walking three feet onto the court? Not smart, but hardly "thug" behavior. The kid rolling his ankle?

B) What conceivable corollary is there with the NFL?

Weird game, and certainly not a point of pride for either team. No one comes out looking good, but "thuggish" is rather, um, loaded language for a bunch of guys jumping off the bench.

weezie
11-26-2017, 08:24 AM
...the bench rose in unison and began a well choreographed sardonic clap, in syncopated wave form. Ref turned and threw them all out.

This clapping menace has to stop. What's next? Whole stadium of fans clapping in unison?

slower
11-26-2017, 08:30 AM
What are you talking about? It was definitely a weird and volatile situation - I thought it particularly strange that the announcers kept referring to the "playground atmosphere" and the "emotional court side fans," - and the way the game played out was rather fascinating, but I would ask you two things:

A) What did you see that was thuggish? Was it just the chatter? Watch Grayson Allen sometime. Was it the players on the bench standing up and walking three feet onto the court? Not smart, but hardly "thug" behavior. The kid rolling his ankle?

B) What conceivable corollary is there with the NFL?

Weird game, and certainly not a point of pride for either team. No one comes out looking good, but "thuggish" is rather, um, loaded language for a bunch of guys jumping off the bench.

How can you be so obtuse, warden? Is it deliberate?

"What conceivable corollary is there with the NFL?" - Are you for real? Have you watched a pro football game in the last 20 years?

"Watch Grayson Allen sometime." - yeah, I've watched him for 4 years, and have yet to see him ball up his fist or bull-rush another player. The whole Grayson false equivalency bit is very, VERY tiresome.

And I'm sorry if you think my language is "loaded." Thuggish doesn't relate to the color of one's skin. I stopped playing ball at the Y many years ago, for fear of deliberate injury. There are guys who play there who know it's a free pass to hurt somebody. Just play the game, and leave the smack talk out of it. Sadly, our culture becomes more gladiator-loving every day.

** And if you listened to the replay, you can hear a couple of courtside bonehead fans screaming throughout - pretty sure THAT is what the announcers were talking about, in case you just really couldn't hear it. Don't see how anybody with functional hearing COULD have missed it, though.

sagegrouse
11-26-2017, 08:45 AM

There really is a "book" on coaching, in the form of lore that suggests how to respond to every game situation. I doubt, however, there is a chapter titled "Five-on-Three Offense." At the next coaches convention, there may be a side session devoted to how to play in this situation.

Pitino may have chosen the path of"sportsmanship," but I bet he agrees it was a huge mistake. He could have ruined his career by losing a game against a team with three players.

fuse
11-26-2017, 11:09 AM

https://youtu.be/25m558ZhWn4

Fast forward to the two hour mark in the video, which is pretty poor quality.

I’m not sure I was aware of this game, thanks for sharing.

I think the major difference (not that it matters) is Clemson went down to four players with a minute of game time left.

Wander
11-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Um, you guys are totally insane. Minnesota got completely embarrassed, and not because they weren't trying. This game should count as like 10 losses on their resume. If Alabama had won, I would consider it the greatest upset in basketball history. Two of the three Alabama players left weren't even starters.

The closest comparison I can think of that game when Steph Curry was in college and Davidson's opponent decided to shadow Curry with 2 players the entire 40 minutes. Curry didn't score, but Davidson got to effectively play an entire game 4 on 3. Davidson won by 30 points. That's exactly what should happen in a situation like this.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2017, 01:28 PM
How can you be so obtuse, warden? Is it deliberate?

"What conceivable corollary is there with the NFL?" - Are you for real? Have you watched a pro football game in the last 20 years?

"Watch Grayson Allen sometime." - yeah, I've watched him for 4 years, and have yet to see him ball up his fist or bull-rush another player. The whole Grayson false equivalency bit is very, VERY tiresome.

And I'm sorry if you think my language is "loaded." Thuggish doesn't relate to the color of one's skin. I stopped playing ball at the Y many years ago, for fear of deliberate injury. There are guys who play there who know it's a free pass to hurt somebody. Just play the game, and leave the smack talk out of it. Sadly, our culture becomes more gladiator-loving every day.

** And if you listened to the replay, you can hear a couple of courtside bonehead fans screaming throughout - pretty sure THAT is what the announcers were talking about, in case you just really couldn't hear it. Don't see how anybody with functional hearing COULD have missed it, though.

Your willful misreading of my post is impressively patronizing. I didn't say Grayson was thuggish in anyway. Imagine for a moment:

A tense physical game like maybe Portland State is tightening up. A player has been jawing back and forth to Allen all night, and one of them makes a physically aggressive move. No punches are thrown, the Duke bench, either in concern or out of solidarity stands up and step onto the court a few steps before refs get everything under control.

Is this beyond the pale of imagination this season when we know everyone is going to push Allen's buttons, and we know Allen is happy to jaw back? Does our team become "thuggish" in this scenario?

No punches were thrown. You could easily argue that Duke has already experienced doled out more physicality in their games.

And I truly don't understand your point on the NFL and you don't seem eager to explain.

Regardless, don't pretend that "thuggish" doesn't carry harsh racial and class undertones.

slower
11-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Your willful misreading of my post is impressively patronizing. I didn't say Grayson was thuggish in anyway. Imagine for a moment:

A tense physical game like maybe Portland State is tightening up. A player has been jawing back and forth to Allen all night, and one of them makes a physically aggressive move. No punches are thrown, the Duke bench, either in concern or out of solidarity stands up and step onto the court a few steps before refs get everything under control.

Is this beyond the pale of imagination this season when we know everyone is going to push Allen's buttons, and we know Allen is happy to jaw back? Does our team become "thuggish" in this scenario?

No punches were thrown. You could easily argue that Duke has already experienced doled out more physicality in their games.

And I truly don't understand your point on the NFL and you don't seem eager to explain.

Regardless, don't pretend that "thuggish" doesn't carry harsh racial and class undertones.
Well, yes, we can all certainly "imagine" many scenarios that fit our preferred narrative. I was referring to real events.

If you don't understand what I said, then I guess you just don't understand.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2017, 01:39 PM
Well, yes, we can all certainly "imagine" many scenarios that fit our preferred narrative. I was referring to real events.

If you don't understand what I said, then I guess you just don't understand.

It does seem we are speaking different languages. I just ask you to be more careful with your word choice when using loaded language.

Enjoy the season! Let's go Duke! And yes, that was one of the strangest scenarios I have ever seen in 30+ years of watching basketball.

subzero02
11-26-2017, 01:42 PM
Um, you guys are totally insane. Minnesota got completely embarrassed, and not because they weren't trying. This game should count as like 10 losses on their resume. If Alabama had won, I would consider it the greatest upset in basketball history. Two of the three Alabama players left weren't even starters.

The closest comparison I can think of that game when Steph Curry was in college and Davidson's opponent decided to shadow Curry with 2 players the entire 40 minutes. Curry didn't score, but Davidson got to effectively play an entire game 4 on 3. Davidson won by 30 points. That's exactly what should happen in a situation like this.

I remember that game. I looked it up, Curry was averaging 35 ppg entering the contest against the Loyola greyhounds. The final score was 78 to 48 and Curry finished the game with 0 points on 0 for 3 shooting.

The Greyhounds (2-3) double teamed and face guarded Davidson star Stephen Curry, with or without the ball, for the entire 32 minutes he played. Once he realized the defensive scheme, Curry often ran to a corner and stood there with two Loyola players within a foot of him, and a third five feet away for support, while the rest of the Wildcats played 4-on-3.

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/news/2008/11/25/MBB_1125081900.aspx

Olympic Fan
11-26-2017, 01:50 PM
Allow me to bring something up that reminded me of Grayson Allen's situation ...

Before the Oklahoma-Kansas football game, the Kansas football captains refused to shake hands with Baker Mayfield during the coin toss at midfield. They very obviously put their hands behind their backs when he extended a hand for the normal pre-game handshake. Mayfield just laughed it off.

But during the game, the cameras caught a number of instances where Mayfield was subjected to cheap shots, often well away from the play.

Eventually, he got upset and flipped the Kansas bench the double bird (along with some choice words).

It was Mayfield who was lambasted by the ESPN crowd ... so much that the OU coach benched Mayfield for a series this week as punishment.

I didn't hear anything about Kansas and their unsportsmanlike behavior.

Did I miss something? Did Mayfield do or say anything before the game with Kansas to provoke such ridiculous -- and thuggish -- behavior?

It's kind of odd getting that tough guy act from what is probably the weakest P5 team in the country.

Stray Gator
11-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Allow me to bring something up that reminded me of Grayson Allen's situation ...

Before the Oklahoma-Kansas football game, the Kansas football captains refused to shake hands with Baker Mayfield during the coin toss at midfield. They very obviously put their hands behind their backs when he extended a hand for the normal pre-game handshake. Mayfield just laughed it off.

But during the game, the cameras caught a number of instances where Mayfield was subjected to cheap shots, often well away from the play.

Eventually, he got upset and flipped the Kansas bench the double bird (along with some choice words).

It was Mayfield who was lambasted by the ESPN crowd ... so much that the OU coach benched Mayfield for a series this week as punishment.

Did I miss something? Did Mayfield do or say anything before the game with Kansas to provoke such ridiculous -- and thuggish -- behavior?

It's kind of odd getting that tough guy act from what is probably the weakest P5 team in the country.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article185931318.html

slower
11-26-2017, 02:06 PM
It does seem we are speaking different languages. I just ask you to be more careful with your word choice when using loaded language.

Enjoy the season! Let's go Duke! And yes, that was one of the strangest scenarios I have ever seen in 30+ years of watching basketball.

No worries, my friend - bygones. :)

slower
11-26-2017, 02:08 PM

Sounds like the same way Grayson gets baited. What a crock. That coach should have had his back.

gep
11-26-2017, 03:15 PM
I watched the last 11-12 minutes of the game. When Alabama was down to 3 players, and the commentators mentioned that Avery Johnson would/should forfeit, Alabama came out with the 3 players and continued playing.

This seemed like a lose-lose situation for Minnesota. As others posted earlier, if they continued to play hard and blow out the game, that's poor sportsmanship. If they pulled back, which is what the mostly did, they ran a risk of losing... which would be extremely huge.

I started thinking, what if Duke's opponent was down to 3, or even 4 players available. What would Coach K/Duke do? I know that when the opponent is vastly over-matched, Coach K continues to "play hard"... to respect the game and opponent, until the last couple of minutes of the game, when he takes out the starters and puts in everyone else. What about if the opponent is down to 3 available players with 10+ minutes to go... :confused:

InSpades
11-26-2017, 03:24 PM
I watched the last 11-12 minutes of the game. When Alabama was down to 3 players, and the commentators mentioned that Avery Johnson would/should forfeit, Alabama came out with the 3 players and continued playing.

This seemed like a lose-lose situation for Minnesota. As others posted earlier, if they continued to play hard and blow out the game, that's poor sportsmanship. If they pulled back, which is what the mostly did, they ran a risk of losing... which would be extremely huge.

I started thinking, what if Duke's opponent was down to 3, or even 4 players available. What would Coach K/Duke do? I know that when the opponent is vastly over-matched, Coach K continues to "play hard"... to respect the game and opponent, until the last couple of minutes of the game, when he takes out the starters and puts in everyone else. What about if the opponent is down to 3 available players with 10+ minutes to go... :confused:

I still disagree that Minnesota "pulled back", maybe slightly though...

I think you take your cue from the other team. If the other team is giving their all and attacking on offense then you should do the same. If they are trying to win then you have to try to win as well. I think it would be poor sportsmanship to trap and run up the score if the other team was clearly giving up. If they are giving their all? There's no shame in giving your all as well.

I thought maybe Alabama should have conceded as well (not walked off the court, but maybe just run the shot clock). I was worried that Sexton might get hurt playing so hard when he was clearly exhausted. That being said... when you are actually cutting the deficit... I really can't fault him for going for the win. What an inspirational effort by those 3 players.

evrim
11-26-2017, 05:02 PM
If you watch the youtube video, at 1:41:10, when the an Alabama player gets the 5th foul, the bench of Minnesota is waiving him good bye and mocking him. Very classy. They were also celebrating when the entire bench was ejected. I don't like Alabama in any sports, nor it's a place I would ever want to live at, but that was also pretty petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDIe6Yj9wI0

-jk
11-26-2017, 05:30 PM
Minn should have played hard enough to keep about a 10 point lead. Don't extend, but don't let it get close either. I think Little Pitino was just mind-blown, and couldn't get his head around the game.

-jk

buddy
11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
You have all missed the point. The officials were just making their case to be recipients of this year's Karl Hess Excellence in Officiating Award

BD80
11-26-2017, 10:08 PM
You have all missed the point. The officials were just making their case to be recipients of this year's Karl Hess Excellence in Officiating Award

It's not about excellence, it's about dominance. You WILL respect my auth-or-it-tie ...

RaiderDevil
11-28-2017, 03:57 PM
About a hundred years ago when I played HS basketball, we played a rivalry game against a nearby team and had a similar situation. We got behind by 25 early in the second quarter, made a furious comeback, and by the end of the third were up by about 15. These were small schools, and our opponent only had 7 or 8 players. The fouled out one after another til we played against 4, and then 3. It was much more difficult than you'd expect. No one was where they were supposed to be against the zone, and going man would have been unsportsmanlike. We won, but they played us even or maybe even a basket or two better in the last few minutes. Point is, when you get in that situation, it's not something you practice, so I can't blame them for being a little out of sorts.

ChillinDuke
11-28-2017, 04:17 PM
About a hundred years ago when I played HS basketball, we played a rivalry game against a nearby team and had a similar situation. We got behind by 25 early in the second quarter, made a furious comeback, and by the end of the third were up by about 15. These were small schools, and our opponent only had 7 or 8 players. The fouled out one after another til we played against 4, and then 3. It was much more difficult than you'd expect. No one was where they were supposed to be against the zone, and going man would have been unsportsmanlike. We won, but they played us even or maybe even a basket or two better in the last few minutes. Point is, when you get in that situation, it's not something you practice, so I can't blame them for being a little out of sorts.

Can someone explain to me why so many of you all believe it's unsportsmanlike to romp a team 5-on-3?

Maybe you ease off once you're up 15 or 20. But other than that, what is unsportsmanlike about this? It's not like their whole team died on the floor. They were ejected, fouled out, and (admittedly unfortunate) injured. Other than the injury, why would I care, as a sportsman, to be nice to these opponents? The game counts, doesn't it?

I'd double team 2 guys and play one other 1-on-1 until I was up 20 points. Then I'd tell them to zone and let them shoot jumpers. If they got it to 12, I'd go back to the aggressive D.

- Chillin

DrChainsaw
11-28-2017, 04:32 PM

There was a game, perhaps from the Laettner era, where the opposing bench was short for some reason. They had a student manager play part of the game. I don't remember that Duke gave them an easy time of it, but do remember that the Duke players stepped back and let him have a free shot when the game was well in hand. If I remember correctly, the manager was a little taken aback at the gesture and promptly double-dribbled before he took the shot. I don't think he got any points that game.

flyingdutchdevil
11-28-2017, 04:35 PM
There was a game, perhaps from the Laettner era, where the opposing bench was short for some reason. They had a student manager play part of the game. I don't remember that Duke gave them an easy time of it, but do remember that the Duke players stepped back and let him have a free shot when the game was well in hand. If I remember correctly, the manager was a little taken aback at the gesture and promptly double-dribbled before he took the shot. I don't think he got any points that game.

Psychological defense. Another genius move by the GOAT.

PackMan97
11-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Can someone explain to me why so many of you all believe it's unsportsmanlike to romp a team 5-on-3?

If it were Carolina I'd tell them to go right at the kid with the most fouls and see if I could make it 5-2 :)

devildeac
11-28-2017, 04:42 PM
If it were Carolina I'd tell them to go right at the kid with the most fouls and see if I could make it 5-2 :)

As long as the cheaters could keep shooting 25% FG or less. :p

Acymetric
11-28-2017, 06:59 PM

This scenario played out almost exactly for Steve Nash and the Suns (with the players getting up off the bench being ejected and suspended), probably costing them a title.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-28-2017, 07:54 PM
This scenario played out almost exactly for Steve Nash and the Suns (with the players getting up off the bench being ejected and suspended), probably costing them a title.

Ah, but were they thuggish?

DU82
11-28-2017, 08:09 PM

It was against Clemson, and Rick Barnes suspended about half his team for not going to class (what a concept!) I believe Coach K asked the students to go easy on the team, and after a relatively quick "Go To Class" type cheer, left the subject alone. My memory of the end is that the manager finally got in the game, had a shot, but one of the Duke players blocked it.

IIRC, it was also the game when Randy Denton's son, one of the ball boys at about 13, but as Randy's son was about 6'6", was egged on by the students to try and dunk. He did, and the crowd went nuts. Later, up by a bunch, the students chanted "the ball boy's better!" (I may be combining the two events, but both were against Clemson.)

JNort
11-28-2017, 09:01 PM
How is this possible? If you're down to your last 5 guys on the court then you can't actually foul out. What happens is every foul after that results in 2 shots and possession of the ball. Maybe it was different then or just different in lower levels.

BD80
11-28-2017, 09:14 PM
It was against Clemson, and Rick Barnes suspended about half his team for not going to class (what a concept!) ...

No wonder Clemson can't beat unc, it is not a level playing field.

peterjswift
11-28-2017, 09:42 PM
How is this possible? If you're down to your last 5 guys on the court then you can't actually foul out. What happens is every foul after that results in 2 shots and possession of the ball. Maybe it was different then or just different in lower levels.

That’s an NBA rule.

RaiderDevil
11-28-2017, 10:17 PM

This was Nc High school ball in the early 90s. I have seen teams play with 3 as recently as 2 years ago though.

devildeac
11-28-2017, 10:31 PM
No wonder Clemson can't beat unc, it is not a level playing field.

Shocking. In more ways than one. :rolleyes::mad:

miramar
11-28-2017, 10:55 PM
It's hardly big-time basketball, but back in 1982 West Coast Christian College beat UC Santa Cruz despite ending the game with only one player. From the Sports Illustrated archives:

LONESOME END

When several players on the same basketball team foul out, it often means defeat. Seldom, however, does a team get into as deep a hole as the West Coast Christian College Knights did a few weeks ago against the University of California-Santa Cruz Sea Lions.

The usually well-disciplined Knights had committed an average of only 17 team fouls a game, so Coach Jerry Turner wasn't concerned when injuries left him with only eight men to play Cal-Santa Cruz. Wouldn't you know? That night his players kept getting whistled, whistled and whistled. Said Sea Lion Coach Joe Richardson, "There were some strange calls. The officiating was consistently poor." Whatever the reason, the Knights got into bad foul trouble. One player fouled out, then another, then a third. The Knights kept on fouling out until only one man, 6-foot Guard Mike Lockhart, was left. "We had started in a tandem zone," Lockhart explained afterward. "Then we went to a straight 2-3 zone. After we were down to four guys we used a 2-2 box. Then a 1-2 diamond. Then a 1-1 zone. Finally a 1."

There were two minutes and 10 seconds to play in the game when Lockhart found himself alone on the floor, with the Knights ahead 70-57. "I was scared to death," he said. "I have confidence in my ball handling, but I had four fouls myself and there was nobody to pass to. The coach told me to calm down, take my time."

Further complicating Lockhart's situation was that, when he put the ball in play after a Sea Lion score, it had to touch another player before he could retrieve it. Once he managed to bounce the ball off an opponent's leg and then grab it back. He also got a rebound after Cal-Santa Cruz missed a shot. When he got possession, he did a good job of dribbling to eat up the clock, and the Sea Lions were forced to foul him to get the ball. Lockhart made five of six free throws.

In their brief five-to-one matchup Cal-Santa Cruz beat Lockhart 10-5, but that wasn't enough to turn the game around. West Coast Christian won 75-67. "It seemed like an eternity before it was over," Lockhart said. "I just thanked the Lord."

https://www.si.com/vault/1982/02/08/564713/scorecard

ipatent
11-28-2017, 11:37 PM
Layups? Against 3 men standing in the lane? Not that easy, even 5 on 3. It's not like Alabama was going to chase you outside the key.

That's right, they had open looks from outside and were hesitant to take them.

slower
11-29-2017, 08:38 AM
Ah, but were they thuggish?
No, but they all eat loaded baked potatoes. :p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-29-2017, 08:40 AM
No, but they all eat loaded baked potatoes. :p

So... Spuddish behavior

OldPhiKap
11-29-2017, 09:42 AM
And sluggish spuddish behavior at that.

(Note: Spud Webb was not harmed during the drafting of this post)

BD80
11-29-2017, 01:22 PM
So... Spuddish behavior

Rehashing this dish? Yam good job!