PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Florida (Sun, 11/26, 10:30pm, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

du_bb1
11-25-2017, 02:54 PM
If already started--apologies

Game plan-

since they are so hot shooting threes--pressure the shooters -make them drive
hence decrease their production by 15-20 points - throw in a few blocks by the good guys and
we are looking good !

subzero02
11-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Get that game plan to K asap...

We need heavy doses of Carter and Bagley. We have a significant advantage inside. Florida had absolutely nothing for Williams last night when they battled the Zags. I am worried about their speedy guards... we need to play defense with our feet and not our hands. It will be important for Allen and Duval to stay out of foul trouble. Hopefully O'Connell isn't overwhelmed by their perimeter speed and is able to provide some valuable minutes. It's going to take a team effort to win this game. The Gators have some serious talent and can really light it up from 3.

PackMan97
11-25-2017, 03:04 PM
If already started--apologies

Curse you! I just wasted the past 10 minutes of my life trying to figure out what the score was and hoping I hadn't missed too much of the action.

For those that don't know (like me)...game is Sunday 11/26 at 10:30p. Yikes....late game for a school night.

NM Duke Fan
11-25-2017, 03:11 PM
Perhaps a game for an extra helping or two of Javin's energy and shot blocking ability on defense when it fits the scheme. It will be very interesting to see how K comes out of the gate with the defensive alignment, since the 3 point shot is such a strength for them and it might be hard for Duke to keep pace trading too many 2 for 3.

proelitedota
11-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Keep them off the 3 line. Challenge their shots around the basket. Dont foul.

Easier said than done and I expect Florida to win comfortablely if we play like we did against PSU and Texas.

brevity
11-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Keep them off the 3 line.

That may not make a difference. Florida has a guy who can hit a 3 from inside the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ2bQwMIW9w

weezie
11-25-2017, 04:36 PM
10:30pm on a Sunday not in March?!

I am not a fan of this tournament.

du_bb1
11-25-2017, 04:40 PM
Curse you! I just wasted the past 10 minutes of my life trying to figure out what the score was and hoping I hadn't missed too much of the action.

For those that don't know (like me)...game is Sunday 11/26 at 10:30p. Yikes...late game for a school night.

need to watch my linguistics................

MChambers
11-25-2017, 04:42 PM
It will be interesting to see how Duke deals with a small but talented team with speed and great outside shooting. On the other end, I wonder how Florida will defend Bagley and Carter. From what I read, Florida’s best big (Egbunu) is out until January.

juise
11-25-2017, 05:01 PM
10:30pm on a Sunday not in March?!

I am not a fan of this tournament.

As noted in a different thread, the Duke game is in the same session (same floor) as the MSU-cheat game, so it will likely start later. I will be at the game and will encourage Roy to forfeit out of shame for the program’s transgressions, so the main event can start on time. Just a little service I offer for you Easterners. ;)

Skydog
11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Yeah, Florida is shooting an outstanding 46.9% (4th best) from behind the arc. Fortunately their team is short - no starter above 6'6" so we should kill them on the boards. But with our frequent close-out problems this is exactly the type of team we could have trouble against.

MrPoon
11-25-2017, 05:24 PM
Transition defense has been a problem for Duke all year and last... Florida attacks fast and often even on made buckets. Against a well coached Zags last night Florida ran two plays for threes while Zags were still getting ready for inbounds. Just blew the doors food of them.
Strength v weaknesses for both teams. Need GA or Trent or AOC to hit a few threes. Offensive RB could also be big. My guess is game is decided if zduke gets back on transition. If not game sets up nicely for Florida. If game slows down, Duke’s size was too much for a big Texas team, it will be a reall problem for a smaller Florida team.

CajunDevil
11-25-2017, 05:31 PM
Hudson and Egor are lights out shooters. I suspect Trent, Grayson, AOC, and DeLaurier will get opportunities to slow these guys down. Duval will need to contain Chiozza's penetration. The game turns on how we defend the threes, and how Florida defends our bigs - where we have a huge advantage.

If we are having trouble defending the threes, an interesting lineup could be DeLaurier and Bagley and Grayson, Trent and Duval. This team would have quickness to closeout on shooters, and some rim protection when/if they beat us off the dribble. I'd also be interested in seeing if K tries some zone to slow down their pace... but that would be playing with fire.

The difference in styles is fascinating. I think Duke wins 91-79... a bit larger margin of victory than you'd think because I feel Duke's bigs will dominate in the paint (scoring, rebounding, blocking/altering shots). Also, I expect Duval to bounce back, and for Grayson to be on fire. Of course, if we do not guard the three point line, it could be 91-79 the other way... but I think Duke will do a good job closing out on shooters. Historically, Duke defends the three well.

Forgot KeVaughn Allen... He's a load and their best player. A versatile, athletic and skilled guard.

duke4ever19
11-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Hudson and Egor are lights out shooters. I suspect Trent, Grayson, AOC, and DeLaurier will get opportunities to slow these guys down. Duval will need to contain Chiozza's penetration. The game turns on how we defend the threes, and how Florida defends our bigs - where we have a huge advantage.

If we are having trouble defending the threes, an interesting lineup could be DeLaurier and Bagley and Grayson, Trent and Duval. This team would have quickness to closeout on shooters, and some rim protection when/if they beat us off the dribble. I'd also be interested in seeing if K tries some zone to slow down their pace... but that would be playing with fire.

The difference in styles is fascinating. I think Duke wins 91-79... a bit larger margin of victory than you'd think because I feel Duke's bigs will dominate in the paint (scoring, rebounding, blocking/altering shots). Also, I expect Duval to bounce back, and for Grayson to be on fire. Of course, if we do not guard the three point line, it could be 91-79 the other way... but I think Duke will do a good job closing out on shooters. Historically, Duke defends the three well.

I only saw the first half, but Gonzaga featured some zone defense and I think it was surprisingly effective.

Now, I have no idea if they continued to use it in the second half or not, because Gonzaga ended up losing that game, so I don't know if it was a matter of the Gators getting hot from three again to make the zone ineffective.

weezie
11-25-2017, 06:15 PM
As noted in a different thread, the Duke game is in the same session (same floor) as the MSU-cheat game, so it will likely start later.

Jeebus, for once could sparty get that giant helmet out of his derriere and beat those mouth-breathers...For a change maybe Izzo could stop whining and try coaching.

dukefan_828
11-25-2017, 06:25 PM
Let's build on last night's momentum.. Heavy dose of Bags & Wendell sprinkle in a brilliant performance by G and prevent open 3's!! Oh and maybe just maybe we can play some transition D but hopefully Duval is who we think he is thus we don't see many turnovers??!

dukelion
11-25-2017, 08:48 PM
Man.....I can't believe we're shooting less than 33% from three through 7 games.

The FT% isn't anything to get excited about either.

Yet we're a pretty good team at this point but I got the feeling there is a ton of growth still left in this team......more so than usual.

Regardless of what happens against Florida this season gonna be a wild one.

WHOneedsSOX
11-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Man....I can't believe we're shooting less than 33% from three through 7 games.

The FT% isn't anything to get excited about either.

Yet we're a pretty good team at this point but I got the feeling there is a ton of growth still left in this team...more so than usual.

Regardless of what happens against Florida this season gonna be a wild one.

Duke is far from it's peak right now. One you mentioned the shooting is poor and the defense is mostly terrible. Tons of room to grow still.

hsheffield
11-25-2017, 09:13 PM
Myron Medcalf seems pretty sure we're going to lose tomorrow.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21556960/lessons-learned-pk80-championship-games

duke4ever19
11-25-2017, 09:30 PM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21556960/lessons-learned-pk80-championship-games

It's funny because Medcalf said this: "But Florida also has the personnel to battle Duke inside the arc even if they're not a can't-miss team from the 3-point line on Sunday."

I just finished listening to Gary Parrish's podcast and he and Matt Norlander were saying Florida doesn't have anyone who can hang with Bagley (and presumably Carter) on the inside. Parrish is convinced that Bagley will get all he wants tomorrow and pretty much every game this season.

However, both Parrish and Norlander are in agreement with Medcalf in the conviction that Florida will take us down on Sunday, so whatever.

Parrish technically picked Duke to win, but he said it was merely because he had Duke as No.1 and it would mean he wouldn't have to work too hard in changing his Top 25 list (blah blah blah).

WiJoe
11-25-2017, 09:58 PM

Like most espn clowns, myron is full of poo. Michigan State has two big ten games the first week of December, as does everyone else in the conference. this is because the big ten men's tournament is in ny the week before the power conferences

Henderson
11-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Duke opened as a 2.5 pt favorite last night, and it was bet down to 1.5 this morning.

After a day of reflection, rest, and game planning, I have to like our chances.

uh_no
11-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Duke opened as a 2.5 pt favorite last night, and it was bet down to 1.5 this morning.

After a day of reflection, rest, and game planning, I have to like our chances.

yep. I think duke wins this one. only concern is if we trade 3's for 2's with them all game....

Limit turnovers and play a clean game and duke should win. I'm taking the over in this one.

22JumpShots
11-26-2017, 12:53 PM
Anyone else getting that same vibe similar to the ACC Tournament last year? A bunch of come from behind games (today will equal 4 games total if you count Furman). The rally to come back against Texas was similar to that against the cheats, except we slaughtered the rams by the end of the game. (Always will remember the half court ally-oop to Harry over Meeks. A great moment for that season.) Title game on a Sunday against another good squad. Also remember feeling most confident on the final game than through out the tournament itself.

Ultimately I think Duke comes out on top in this one. I am just banking on our size. We are too big here. We will hopefully swallow rebounds for put backs or kick outs. I am also hoping Grayson comes out of his recent "slump" in regards to points and lack of 3-pointers.

MrPoon
11-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I said it earlier but I think our ability to avoid live ball TOs and transition points will decide this game. Don’t understand ESPN saying Florida has size with tallest player at 6’6 to matchup inside. Man to man, limit transition, rebound well, close out on threes, avoid TOs... should be easy. :rolleyes:

Glad to have the extra day of video and coaching to prepare. For our young guys could be big. GA may have a big roll to play here. Tried to do too much early to overcome team’s slow start against TX but coaches will help him there. Curious to see the Javin vs AOC min, guessing AOC more with points at a premium and strong guards. Not a great game for Bolden would be my guess unless it is the back of the zone with one of the bigs in foul trouble.

Billy Dat
11-26-2017, 01:41 PM
Forgot KeVaughn Allen... He's a load and their best player. A versatile, athletic and skilled guard.

Nice breakdown. Grayson and Marvin need to play well for us to approach our potential. Marvin has been extremely consistent and productive. Our senior leader, maybe by putting on a POY performance against MSU and raising expectations really high, has not consistently performed to a POY/First Team AA team level (a tough standard, to be sure, but Marvin is performing at that level). As for the defense...I got nothing...NOTHING! Who knows what we'll do.

It's funny because Medcalf said this: "But Florida also has the personnel to battle Duke inside the arc even if they're not a can't-miss team from the 3-point line on Sunday."

I just finished listening to Gary Parrish's podcast and he and Matt Norlander were saying Florida doesn't have anyone who can hang with Bagley (and presumably Carter) on the inside. Parrish is convinced that Bagley will get all he wants tomorrow and pretty much every game this season.

However, both Parrish and Norlander are in agreement with Medcalf in the conviction that Florida will take us down on Sunday, so whatever.

Parrish technically picked Duke to win, but he said it was merely because he had Duke as No.1 and it would mean he wouldn't have to work too hard in changing his Top 25 list (blah blah blah).

Yeah, convention college bball writer wisdom is that we are going down tonight. I can't believe I have to stay awake until 1AM EST to find out. Someone needs to write and article about how football TV $ made one of the best college basketball 2-game sets on after bedtime on a school night.

subzero02
11-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Nice breakdown. Grayson and Marvin need to play well for us to approach our potential. Marvin has been extremely consistent and productive. Our senior leader, maybe by putting on a POY performance against MSU and raising expectations really high, has not consistently performed to a POY/First Team AA team level (a tough standard, to be sure, but Marvin is performing at that level). As for the defense...I got nothing...NOTHING! Who knows what we'll do.

Yeah, convention college bball writer wisdom is that we are going down tonight. I can't believe I have to stay awake until 1AM EST to find out. Someone needs to write and article about how football TV $ made one of the best college basketball 2-game sets on after bedtime on a school night.

The two semifinal games and the 3rd place game in the motion bracket have all gone into at least 1 overtime. If the trend holds, we'll be lucky to be done by 1 am EST.

TruBlu
11-26-2017, 04:47 PM
The two semifinal games and the 3rd place game in the motion bracket have all gone into at least 1 overtime. If the trend holds, we'll be lucky to be done by 1 am EST.

If it gets delayed enough, then maybe I can watch it from the beginning when I get up at 3:00 AM for work:(. Everyone, please cheer extra loud for me tonight!

(Needless to say, I will not be watching the game tonight. I will however check the score before I even fix my coffee.)

-jk
11-26-2017, 05:39 PM
If it gets delayed enough, then maybe I can watch it from the beginning when I get up at 3:00 AM for work:(. Everyone, please cheer extra loud for me tonight!

(Needless to say, I will not be watching the game tonight. I will however check the score before I even fix my coffee.)

C'mon: if I can drive from Cameron to MoCo, MD, after a 9:35 tip and OT - and still make work in the morning - you can do this, too! (Caffeine: the favorite American drug!) Just one sleepless night every once in a while...

-jk

GeneBanksManCrush
11-26-2017, 07:07 PM

Jeez, I thought I had it rough with a 4 am wakeup. Thank God for DVRs.

TruBlu
11-26-2017, 07:10 PM
C'mon: if I can drive from Cameron to MoCo, MD, after a 9:35 tip and OT - and still make work in the morning - you can do this, too! (Caffeine: the favorite American drug!) Just one sleepless night every once in a while...

-jk

My youthfulness ain’t what it used to be.

Henderson
11-26-2017, 07:13 PM

-jk

I'd also like to point out that this is an Eastern Time Zone inconvenience. More than half the US population lives outside the Eastern Time Zone, and a majority of teams in this tournament come from outside the Eastern Time Zone too. The game starts at 7:30 pm local time at the venue, which is quite a reasonable time for a Sunday sporting event. For many US service members serving overseas, from Iraq to Afghanistan to Korea and Japan, the game will be broadcast live during daytime hours.

moonpie23
11-26-2017, 07:57 PM
i don't like late games.....:mad:

DukeBlue666s
11-26-2017, 08:08 PM
I must admit, when we went down 16 to Texas, I turned the tv off ... 30 mins later I got the notification it was going to OT.

I'm thinking I should just sit this one out. They seem to know when I'm watching and play like poo ...

dukebluesincebirth
11-26-2017, 08:32 PM
No way I can stay up late enough to watch tonight. It’s killing me! Pull them through!!

DukeBlue666s
11-26-2017, 08:36 PM
I’m letting one eye nap right now so he can watch the game.

weezie
11-26-2017, 08:46 PM
WHAT the HELL is Izzo wearing?! Nike's new supreme court chief justice tailed hoodie?

Coballs
11-26-2017, 09:03 PM
This is the without question the most moronic tournament I've ever seen Duke play in over the past 25+ years. The previous game was played well over 2 days ago on Friday afternoon and now the finals are held at 10:30PM EST on Sunday night at the very end of Thanksgiving weekend. That's absolutely ridiculous, even by west coast time. Why were these games not played on Saturday or early today....because of football? The NCAA tournament never starts this late on Sunday night. I'm going to stay up and watch, but this is extremely dumb. I would have even flown out from the east coast for this tournament, but the Sunday start time precluded any chance of that.

-jk
11-26-2017, 09:20 PM
My youthfulness ain’t what it used to be.

Mine, neither...

(Yawn!)

-jk

rickshawboycall911
11-26-2017, 09:22 PM
the gators are going to run us out of the building

WiJoe
11-26-2017, 09:24 PM
I'd also like to point out that this is an Eastern Time Zone inconvenience. More than half the US population lives outside the Eastern Time Zone, and a majority of teams in this tournament come from outside the Eastern Time Zone too. The game starts at 7:30 pm local time at the venue, which is quite a reasonable time for a Sunday sporting event. For many US service members serving overseas, from Iraq to Afghanistan to Korea and Japan, the game will be broadcast live during daytime hours.

It's an inconvenience for the central time zone also. Don't be so provincial.

duketaylor
11-26-2017, 09:25 PM
Cheats look like absolute poo so far!!:cool:

subzero02
11-26-2017, 09:29 PM

You mean Luke Maye isn't the second coming of the Bird?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-26-2017, 09:30 PM
Watching UNC score 23 in a half is keeping me awake. Or, "woke."

uh_no
11-26-2017, 09:32 PM
Watching UNC score 23 in a half is keeping me awake. Or, "woke."

I had some of whatever Bill Walton is having, and I'm good to go.

moonpie23
11-26-2017, 09:37 PM
the gators are going to run us out of the building

again, i'd like to know who you mean by "us"....

weezie
11-26-2017, 09:46 PM
If Izzo wins this game, he might decide to wear that hoodie for the rest of the season. I sure hope he does! Kind of a Hogwarts vibe going on there...:cool:

subzero02
11-26-2017, 09:48 PM
I had some of whatever Bill Walton is having, and I'm good to go.

This is the first time I have listened to one of his games this season... the man is from another planet. I literally had no earthly idea what he was talking about at one point during the first half.

chrishoke
11-26-2017, 09:49 PM
MSU is starting to com unglued like they always do against the heels.

chriso
11-26-2017, 09:51 PM
If Izzo wins this game, he might decide to wear that hoodie for the rest of the season. I sure hope he does! Kind of a Hogwarts vibe going on there...:cool:

That's weird because I am watching Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix waiting for the Duke game to start. :)

weezie
11-26-2017, 09:56 PM
Anybody think Scheyer and Nate are at the coaching tables and laughing on the inside at this game?

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-26-2017, 09:59 PM
Do we have to listen to walton’s stream of consciousness during our game as well?

chrishoke
LOL. Coach K's wife and daughter are sitting right behind the heel bench.

DukeDevil
Can someone post the attempted transition play by the cheats at 12 minutes in the second half with "yakety sax" overlaid on audio?

westwall
11-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Best Walton line of the night (so far): "At least the Tar Heels have their beautiful State to fall back on."

MrPoon
11-26-2017, 10:05 PM
33pts with 9mins to go. UNCh looks way out classed. MSU keeps turning the ball over or this would be much worse. MSU out rebounding them by 14. :D
Making our MSU win look really good... mostly without Bagley!

wavedukefan70s
11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Best Walton line of the night (so far): "At least the Tar Heels have their beautiful State to fall back on."

I thought same thing lol.

tbyers11
11-26-2017, 10:09 PM
Do we have to listen to walton’s stream of consciousness during our game as well?

Pretty sure we have Bilas and Schulman

uh_no
11-26-2017, 10:10 PM
This is the first time I have listened to one of his games this season... the man is from another planet. I literally had no earthly idea what he was talking about at one point during the first half.

This game is tame compared to the uconn/arkansas game earlier. he didn't even know he was calling this game tonight.

duke79
11-26-2017, 10:11 PM

Am I the only one who finds the new UNC uniforms to be unusually ugly? I truly can't even stand to watch their games just because of those putrid new uniforms!

duke79
11-26-2017, 10:14 PM

Have Dickie V and Bill W ever announced a game together? That would be quite a hoot.

BD80
11-26-2017, 10:16 PM

Not even close. He was discussing whether UC Berkley should be called "Cal." The other announcer raised the point that Bill called UNCCH "Carolina" even though there are other UNC campuses.

Bill responded: "There are? Do we have someone that can research that?"

MrPoon
11-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Did Pinson just take a dive? I don’t think he got hit at all.

uh_no
11-26-2017, 10:18 PM
Not even close. He was discussing whether UC Berkley should be called "Cal." The other announcer raised the point that Bill called UNCCH "Carolina" even though there are other UNC campuses.

Bill responded: "There are? Do we have someone that can research that?"

that was fantastic. along with his hydrological analysis of several watersheds.

BD80
11-26-2017, 10:19 PM
Pinson flops. More Bill: "He went down like a rock!"

"I've never known Pinson to be a flopper!"

"He seems to have recovered quickly."

Skydog
11-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Walton isn't even interested in the game. So obnoxious. And Pinson just completely flopped big time to a swinging elbow that completely missed him. He deserves an academy award for the acting job.

plimnko
11-26-2017, 10:36 PM
pinson's flop was as fake as a class in chapel hill

stingy
11-26-2017, 10:37 PM
I had to type this Walton quote out to save for posterity:

"Poor spacing, physically intimidated, the senior leadership, the veteran leadership, has been non-existent. Their best players have not been able to get anything going offensively and they turn a 3 on 2 fast break into a scoring opportunity for the other team and Roy Williams, oh my gosh, he can thankfully look back to his 9th grade algebra class where he met his wife, Wanda. In Asheville, North Carolina, one of the most beautiful spots on Earth."

subzero02
11-26-2017, 10:37 PM
I don't know if I can listen to Walton during our game.

I will congratulate MSU and my cousin Joshua Langford( 23 points and a career high) on vanquishing the evil holes tonight.

Duke79UNLV77
11-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Don't they know it's past my bedtime! Let's get this party started!

Coballs
11-26-2017, 10:39 PM
So our game won't start until after 11PM?!?! This is beyond absurd. Was Bill Walton in charge of scheduling these games?

BigZ
11-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Hey ESPN and NCAA games are longer than 2 hours

weezie
11-26-2017, 10:46 PM
I'm in no mood to listen to Seth Greenberg during regular viewing hours much less at this ungodly time of night.

WiJoe
11-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Yeah, start after 11 eastern time. It's a Nike event. It's not enough for them to just screw up the uniforms and endorse the thug culture with the as*n*ne black ensembles.

Let's go DUKE !!!!

Duke79UNLV77
11-26-2017, 10:49 PM
Top ten matchup of 2 eastern time zone schools, and it's starting after 11 p.m. eastern on a Sunday. Maybe, this is why K says college basketball needs a commissioner.

WiJoe
11-26-2017, 10:51 PM
Top ten matchup of 2 eastern time zone schools, and it's starting after 11 p.m. eastern on a Sunday. Maybe, this is why K says college basketball needs a commissioner.

I don't think a commissioner would make a difference.

It's all about the: $$$$$$$$

Mabdul Doobakus
11-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Going to bed now and gonna wake up an hour early so I can watch the game before work. They need to play this thing on a Saturday if it's gonna be this late. I mean, this is late even for the folks in Portland. I don't get it.

dukefan_828
11-26-2017, 10:59 PM
CHAT?? Also my tarhole friend sent me puns when it looked like it was going to get ugly in the 2nd half during the UT game such as "Meet me at LongHorn for Lunch?? or maybe we can do Texas Roadhouse" can some of our punsters think of anything good for the spartans win over the cheats?? Saved for after a victory by the Good Guys ofcourse... Also glad to see Kentucky w another home blowout against a middle school team what an advantage these early season tournaments give us (IMO) playing tough competition w the neutral court feel of a March game..Love it!!

But these guys are student athletes lets do a better job of scheduling next time, Phil

duke79
11-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Yeah, start after 11 eastern time. It's a Nike event. It's not enough for them to just screw up the uniforms and endorse the thug culture with the as*n*ne black ensembles.

Let's go DUKE !!!!

yea, this is another reason to hate Nike ! I refuse to buy their products.

weezie
11-26-2017, 11:02 PM
... can some of our punsters think of anything good for the spartans win over the cheats??

Sure, tell him to stick that big fat L in his pipe and smoke it. Not a pun but witty, no?

IBleedBlue
11-26-2017, 11:04 PM
hi
Does anyone have a link I can watch this game from afar?
Thanks

Coballs
11-26-2017, 11:07 PM
hi
Thanks

It's on WatchESPN

http://www.espn.com/watch/

lotusland
11-26-2017, 11:07 PM
CHAT?? Also my Tar Heel friend sent me puns when it looked like it was going to get ugly in the 2nd half during the UT game such as "Meet me at LongHorn for Lunch?? or maybe we can do Texas Roadhouse" can some of our punsters think of anything good for the spartans win over the cheats?? Saved for after a victory by the Good Guys ofcourse... Also glad to see Kentucky w another home blowout against a middle school team what an advantage these early season tournaments give us (IMO) playing tough competition w the neutral court feel of a March game..Love it!!

But these guys are student athletes lets do a better job of scheduling next time, Phil

Always hit the Beacon in Spartanburg

uh_no
11-26-2017, 11:09 PM
hi
Thanks

should be on watch ESPN

if not, there are likely, erm, other links one can find.

MrPoon
11-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Did I miss the chat link?
Sorry

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:14 PM
This team can't shoot worth a damn

InSpades
11-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Can we get a half court scrimmage going for warmups... get our terrible 5 minutes out of the way when it doesn't count.

Frustrating to start basically every game down by 8 points.

downeastdad
11-26-2017, 11:18 PM
Can we get a half court scrimmage going for warmups... get our terrible 5 minutes out of the way when it doesn't count.

Frustrating to start basically every game down by 8 points.

How about down 14?

Hauerwas
11-26-2017, 11:22 PM
Forcing shots, not running the offense, Allen has barely touched the ball, Duval is out of control, pathetic 3 point close outs... Florida might put up 150 tonight.

The defense is an absolute joke.

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:23 PM
Honestly the team is talented but not very good as a team.

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM
It looks like our big men can do what they want down low, but we can't trade two for three. Simple as that.

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM
I'm trying to stream the game bc I don't have a cable provider right now. How do I do that?

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 11:27 PM
I'm trying to stream the game bc I don't have a cable provider right now. How do I do that?

Someone on the Duke Basketball page on Facebook is live-streaming the game. There's also ESPN3, which is on their website. Sometimes you can access games.

Hauerwas
11-26-2017, 11:28 PM
That's 6 shots at or near the basket we haven't finished in the first 9 minutes. 6. We're bigger but we're not stronger at the rim.

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Okay my direct tv is fixed now

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 11:34 PM
That's 6 shots at or near the basket we haven't finished in the first 9 minutes. 6. We're bigger but we're not stronger at the rim.

Frustrating, because they are high-percentage shots. We need those to make up for their 3-point shooting.

Bagley is doing some good work. We need rebounds.

DangerDevil
11-26-2017, 11:38 PM
I think we woke up

downeastdad
11-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Bagley needs to start hitting those bunnies.

Skydog
11-26-2017, 11:44 PM
Honestly the team is talented but not very good as a team.

You were saying?

duke4ever19
11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
I think we woke up

Wow. I'm officially a fan of throwing in that 2-3 zone. We need to learn man-to-man to be able to show a variety of looks to an opposing offense, but our length makes that 2-3 zone effective.

kostar
11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
hi
Thanks

http://firstrows.xyz/

be warned, lots of pop up windows.

edit: sometimes you can get lucky on reddit, lots of people post links to free HD streams there.

WiJoe
11-26-2017, 11:47 PM
no chat?

BD80
11-26-2017, 11:51 PM
The Blue Devils were kind enough to wait for the Steelers game to conclude before beginning to play.

Unfortunately, the Gators were not so polite.

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:52 PM
Terrible last two mins

uh_no
11-26-2017, 11:52 PM
no chat?

check the front page?

YmoBeThere
11-26-2017, 11:54 PM
All it takes is 2 or 3 poor possessions and 6-8 point leads are gone.

WiJoe
11-26-2017, 11:55 PM
check the front page?

yep.

no soap, or chat, for that matter

downeastdad
11-26-2017, 11:56 PM
We're sticking with them from the field, the difference is free throws.

Hauerwas
That was street ball the last two minutes. We had a chance to be up 8-9 and are down four. Really horrible decision making, jacking up three's and not getting back. Duke normally ends halves better than anyone, that was awful. No set plays, no passing the ball, no getting it down low. K should have called a time out with 40 seconds left but he didn't. He could have set a play and we could have had the lead, but no, we jack up a three and give one up on the other end. just really poor decision making on everyone. You can't get away with that against a good team.

BigZ
On the bright side we already out scored Carolina

ehdg
11-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Very happy with the way the team came back from that huge defect early. But I still can't believe we gave up over 50 pts in the first half. We have a big advantage down low cause of our big men but what in the world is with the Defense. I'm so not use to Duke giving up so many damn points in a half. I know this team is very young and D takes longer to learn and adjust too. But come on are we really that bad defensively!
Also seems to be for some reason right now we're playing better with Tavon on the bench. Least it worked out that way to get us back in the game Saturday and he was on the bench a decent amount while we made the run tonight. Not sure why just something I've been observing.

BigZ
11-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Trent Allen and O'Connell should've the only guys allowed to shoot 3s

uh_no
11-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Trent Allen and O'Connell should've the only guys allowed to shoot 3s

marvin bagley has shot better than grayson allen in the tournament thus far....

peterjswift
11-27-2017, 12:07 AM
This is only slightly related to the game, but I was impressed by Phil Knight answering the, admittedly softball, questions from Bilas and Schulman.

Likewise, the storyline of Duke’s AD being the father of Florida’s coach was great.

Other than this obnoxiously late tipoff time, I’m pretty impressed with this tournament. I hope I feel the same way in twenty minutes.

subzero02
11-27-2017, 12:08 AM
We should have started the game in the 2-3 zone... Carter and Bagley need to dominate the 2nd half... I guess that comment was directed more so at Carter because Bagley was outstanding.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:08 AM
This is only slightly related to the game, but I was impressed by Phil Knight answering the, admittedly softball, questions from Bilas and Schulman.

Likewise, the storyline of Duke’s AD being the father of Florida’s coach was great.

Other than this obnoxiously late tipoff time, I’m pretty impressed with this tournament. I hope I feel the same way in twenty minutes.

Great experience for all the teams for March.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:14 AM
Ugly start to the half. Too lackadaisical.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:14 AM
Everytime Duke fails to finish it translates to Florida scoring

Eternal Outlaw
11-27-2017, 12:15 AM
Too many missed bunnies, make half and at least tied

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:16 AM
Too many missed bunnies, make half and at least tied

Exactly it's a four point swing every time they miss a bunny

evrim
11-27-2017, 12:16 AM
Duval's defense is pretty good but he is hurting us offensively in general IMHO and I wish he was not playing. IN fact, in the first half we were going to probably get a big lead and he just threw a very long unnecessary pass which I think he tried against Texas, and failed again. I am not a big fan of him. I think we are better with Alex in the game and Grayson running the show.

Billy Dat
11-27-2017, 12:17 AM
Ugly start to the half. Too lackadaisical.

Yes, bad body language and poor offense - no ball movement and not enough urgency to get Bagley the ball. We have also missed a few makeable shots near the rim.

We have looked bad since being up 7. Need to hit some shots soon as that seems to get our D going.

downeastdad
We should have started the game in the 2-3 zone... Carter and Bagley need to dominate the 2nd half... I guess that comment was directed more so at Carter because Bagley was outstanding.

Carter's got three fouls, which will slow him down a little.

duke4ever19
Duval's defense is pretty good but he is hurting us offensively in general IMHO and I wish he was not playing. IN fact, in the first half we were going to probably get a big lead and he just threw a very long unnecessary pass which I think he tried against Texas, and failed again. I am not a big fan of him. I think we are better with Alex in the game and Grayson running the show.

Grayson threw a horrible pass intended for Bagley late in the first half when he had a decent lead. Florida took immediate advantage.

evrim

Likewise, the storyline of Duke’s AD being the father of Florida’s coach was great..

True. Based on how quickly he came up with answers, I bet he was given the questions ahead of time.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Yes, bad body language and poor offense - no ball movement and not enough urgency to get Bagley the ball. We have also missed a few makeable shots near the rim.

We have looked bad since being up 7. Need to hit some shots soon as that seems to get our D going.

Made shots also keeps them out of transition.

Except there. There's no reason a guy should catch the ball under the basket after a made free throw.

evrim
11-27-2017, 12:24 AM
Grayson threw a horrible pass intended for Bagley late in the first half when he had a decent lead. Florida took immediate advantage.

Thought it was Duval. maybe they both did. And just as we were getting close he lost the ball again and got DeLaurier his 4th foul.

duke4ever19
Ugh DeLaurier, you're killing me with that foul!

Hauerwas
So far in the second half we've yet to run any kind of set and just dribbled down with one pass and a terrible shot. Allen launched a 28 foot three and then launched some off balanced shot in the paint. This is painful to watch, still missing simply bunnies at the rim. C'mon my god run a set one time.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:25 AM
Get Duval out of the game please

WHOneedsSOX
Bagley should be touching the ball almost every single possession.

duke4ever19
We need more Bagley. Also, Carter has to get going on offense. We need his points-per-game.

Billy Dat
11-27-2017, 12:26 AM
So far in the second half we've yet to run any kind of set and just dribbled down with one pass and a terrible shot. Allen launched a 28 foot three and then launched some off balanced shot in the paint. This is painful to watch, still missing simply bunnies at the rim. C'mon my god run a set one time.

Let’s see if K goes back to Grayson & Bagley 2 man action.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:26 AM
Dukes only defense is to score. After a made basket

Hauerwas
11-27-2017, 12:28 AM
God college refs suck, that was a complete flop against Bagley. Unreal.

Skydog
11-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Allen’s confidence hasn’t been the same since his 34 point outburst. Kinda weird.

Billy Dat
We need more Bagley. Also, Carter has to get going on offense. We need his points-per-game.

Maybe also some Hi/Lo with those 2

WHOneedsSOX
When was the last time Duke scored?

uh_no
11-27-2017, 12:30 AM
Maybe also some Hi/Lo with those 2

i'd go for any intelligible set.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:31 AM

The Harding Administration

WiJoe

Duke scoreless last 3:06.

No bigger blowhard than bilas.

Hauerwas
Standing around watching them pass it around then don't even attempt to get the defensive rebound. That was a five point swing with Duval over driving into trouble. Shots are short, we'll lose by 20. This game is absolutely over. No gas, no fight. Ball game fellas.

evrim
Duval is a disaster this game (and last 3-4 games). Not only he lost the ball, now he fouled. Good job.

Billy Dat
This is painful, but we looked really bad this late against Texas. Florida is better than Texas. No one is playing well on either end this second half. If you go back to our 7 point lead, we are down 20+.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:32 AM
Duval is a disaster this game (and last 3-4 games). Not only he lost the ball, now he fouled. Good job.

More turnovers than assists this weekend right?

BigZ
Duke doesn't have a point guard

evrim
Duke scoreless last 3:06.

No bigger blowhard than bilas.

I am not a big fan. Wait until he starts talking about football and UCF soon.

Eternal Outlaw
11-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Standing around watching them pass it around then don't even attempt to get the defensive rebound. That was a five point swing with Duval over driving into trouble. Shots are short, we'll lose by 20. This game is absolutely over. No gas, no fight. Ball game fellas.

I see Bagley trying but they are boxing him out well.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:34 AM
8 points in 10 minutes this half.

And that's not a foul on Carter. If that is then Allen should get a call every time he drives.

evrim
11-27-2017, 12:35 AM
Not sure why we gave up on zone btw. I am guessing Coach K wants these guys get humbled and learn.

downeastdad
11-27-2017, 12:36 AM
This would be a tie game if we hit half of the bunnies we've missed.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:37 AM
Do Duval and Delaurier have all the points this half?

Hauerwas
11-27-2017, 12:38 AM
Duval sees games like this as personal challenges and not team basketball. He makes horrendous decisions. Zero action, no passing, going up against a set defense. What offense are we actually half way trying to even run. My god what a joke. We're slower, less athletic, and less hungry. And at this point not as smart. we haven't run an y sets the entire second half. What exactly is K doing? Ball game. what a joke. These are mature guys playing against freshman playing street ball. This is not duke basketball. really a joke. IU waiting at home right now as we travel the country and if anyone thinks that game is a gimme based on how horrible this team is playing right now, good luck. What exactly has the coaching staff done to make any adjustments in this second half? It's unreal.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:43 AM
Carter had an easy dunk instead misses the jumper

Billy Dat
Signs of life. Florida playing smart, working the clock down on each possession. We can’t trade baskets, need some stops. Must get the lead to 6 or less in this next 2-3 minutes. We aint dead yet.

WHOneedsSOX
Carter had an easy dunk instead misses the jumper

One dribble, dunk. Easy peasy.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:44 AM
K is just a figure head right now. He coaches very little

WiJoe
11-27-2017, 12:45 AM
K is just a figure head right now. He coaches very little

that's ridiculous.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:45 AM
Get it to 6 by the 4 minute mark and Duke will have a chance.

Coballs
11-27-2017, 12:48 AM
This team has a lot of glaring problems but many of them can be attributed to youth and inexperience. They are heavily reliant on a bunch of freshmen and, although extremely talented, they are still freshmen playing in their first month of college basketball. In particular, they have a very long way to go on defense and if they aren’t able to learn to defend over the next several months then they most likely won’t be a championship caliber team. A much bigger concern at this time is the recent drop off in production and the lack of on-court leadership from Grayson Allen. Hopefully he’s just dealing with a short term injury and gets through it soon.

Billy Dat
11-27-2017, 12:49 AM
Get it to 6 by the 4 minute mark and Duke will have a chance.

That Duval follow gave us some life. Need a stop and a bucket, not dead yet, but we are running out of posessions.

BigZ
11-27-2017, 12:49 AM
What happened to Grayson's mid range game ?

evrim
11-27-2017, 12:50 AM
It's amazing for how terrible we played, this is still within reach.

WHOneedsSOX
This team has a lot of glaring problems but many of them can be attributed to youth and inexperience. They are heavily reliant on a bunch of freshmen and, although extremely talented, they are still freshmen playing in their first month of college basketball. My much bigger concern is the recent drop off in production and the lack of on-court leadership from Grayson Allen.

He was scoring well today but that Florida guy is an elite defender. Maybe should've tried some guard screens to get that guy off him.

fidel
We need more people standing around the wing when the big guys get in trouble. No reason to find an open spot for a pass. Jeez.

Hauerwas
Had a clear lane to the hoop and passed it up for a 12 foot fade away. Are you serious? Just incredibly piss poor offensive play.

YmoBeThere
11-27-2017, 12:51 AM
This is 3-4 junior/seniors showing freshmen how to play. We still have a chance but we are being outplayed in most aspects.

Skydog
11-27-2017, 12:51 AM
This team has a lot of glaring problems but many of them can be attributed to youth and inexperience. They are heavily reliant on a bunch of freshmen and, although extremely talented, they are still freshmen playing in their first month of college basketball. My much bigger concern is the recent drop off in production and the lack of on-court leadership from Grayson Allen.

This. I don’t know if I believe the espn boxscore but Allen is leading the team in turnovers with 4 and Duval just has 2.

Skydog
11-27-2017, 12:53 AM
I’m actually impressed by Bagley’s composure this game

Billy Dat
11-27-2017, 12:54 AM
Not dead yet! Down 3, let’s steal another one!

Skydog
Finally Allen!

DangerDevil
I'm not sure how we are only down by one possession with 3 minutes left but I am happy that is the case!

CDu
And here I was told this game was over and we would lose by 20.

downeastdad
11-27-2017, 12:55 AM
That's more like it. Three minutes, three points. Go Duke!!!!!

evrim
Just a testament to how good this team is - if we play in control and just keep patient, it is very hard to beat us. We just keep digging ourselves in to a big hole every time.

WHOneedsSOX

Every game they seem to have a giant brain fart for 3-4 minutes. Have to figure out why they keep happening.

YmoBeThere

Yeah, I know what you mean. I read it on the internet.

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 12:57 AM
Just a testament to how good this team is - if we play in control and just keep patient, it is very hard to beat us. We just keep digging ourselves in to a big hole every time.

I think it shows the talent moreso than the way they're actually playing if that makes sense.

downeastdad
11-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Shot clock!!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 01:00 AM
What in the world was that... Coach K should've called timeout when Bagley got trapped.

DangerDevil
I think it shows the talent moreso than the way they're actually playing if that makes sense.

I wouldn't want to play this team now and I definitely wouldn't want to play them in March!

One more stop, come on Devils!

Billy Dat
One more stop!

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 01:01 AM
One stop. One rebound. Two made free throws.

DangerDevil
11-27-2017, 01:02 AM
One stop. One rebound. Two made free throws.

Make the free throws and we won't need the rebound!

WHOneedsSOX
Trent so damn clutch today.

CDu
What in the world was that... Coach K should've called timeout when Bagley got trapped.

Coaches cannot call live ball TOs.

Skydog
11-27-2017, 01:03 AM
Never worried! :)

WHOneedsSOX
Coaches cannot call live ball TOs.

Oh I didn't know that. Thanks. Allen should've gone to demand the ball then.

Billy Dat
Trent with the reach-in foul, they miss, he follows with a reach in steal, and 2 free throws. Must foul ip 3!

downeastdad
11-27-2017, 01:04 AM
YES!!!!!

WHOneedsSOX
11-27-2017, 01:04 AM
Wow stole that one. Even more impressive than the Texas game.

CDu
11-27-2017, 01:05 AM
Wait, we didn’t lose by 20? But somebody was so sure of it.

YmoBeThere
11-27-2017, 01:05 AM
YES!!!!