PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Tucker

magjayran
11-22-2017, 09:08 AM
I apologize if this has been addressed already. I went back a few pages and couldn't find a thread on it.

Any idea why Jordan Tucker hasn't gotten any PT? Is K planning to redshirt him? It seems odd that he can't crack the lineup at all even when Duke is up 20+ late in the game and the other less acclaimed recruits like Goldwire and AOC are finding some action.

FerryFor50
11-22-2017, 09:11 AM
Oh good. I see we've found our topic to beat into the ground this season. :cool:

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-22-2017, 09:12 AM
Oh good. I see we've found our topic to beat into the ground this season. :cool:
I think it's a reasonable question but likely one without a good answer right now.

FerryFor50
11-22-2017, 09:14 AM
I think it's a reasonable question but likely one without a good answer right now.

It's not that it's not reasonable. It's just been asked a bunch already and likely will continue to be asked. And we'll likely get no answers.

fraggler
11-22-2017, 09:19 AM
I apologize if this has been addressed already. I went back a few pages and couldn't find a thread on it.

Any idea why Jordan Tucker hasn't gotten any PT? Is K planning to redshirt him? It seems odd that he can't crack the lineup at all even when Duke is up 20+ late in the game and the other less acclaimed recruits like Goldwire and AOC are finding some action.

Well, I don't know why he isn't playing, but he did get in vs Elon, so unless he gets injured severely enough for a medical hardship waiver, there is no chance for a redshirt.

AGDukesky
11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Granted he hasn’t been on the court much, but in that limited time my untrained eyes saw a player who seemed behind those getting more time.

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2017, 09:22 AM

Lighten up, Francis. It's a good question, given that O'Connell and Goldwire have found more minutes in this short season.

Troublemaker
11-22-2017, 09:25 AM

He played 6 minutes against Elon and therefore can't be redshirted.

We have 13 scholarship players and he seems to be the 13th guy right now. Usually the 13th guy won't be able to get into games. In order to get into games, he needs to begin to outperform JRob and Jack in practice. (And if he wants to be in the rotation, he'll have to outperform JGold and Alex). [And if he wants to start, he has to outperform Gary and Grayson].

As to specifically what his deficiencies have been relative to his teammates, there is nothing on the record because Coach K hasn't been asked in a press conference about him. If you want a wild-booty guess from me, I would guess defense and shot selection, based on youtube.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Granted he hasn’t been on the court much, but in that limited time my untrained eyes saw a player who seemed behind those getting more time.

Not to second guess Coach K, but I'm assuming this was apparent from the start. If there was almost no hope of him getting any PT this season, why play him a few minutes in an early game to burn his redshirt? You can always cancel the redshirt in the middle of the season if something changes, and worst case if after 4 years at Duke he decides he doesn't want to use his fifth year, no one is forcing him to, but it is nice to have that optionality. I felt the same way about Vrank's roughly 15 minutes of PT his freshman year.

Matches
11-22-2017, 09:28 AM
Not to second guess Coach K, but I'm assuming this was apparent from the start. If there was almost no hope of him getting any PT this season, why play him a few minutes in an early game to burn his redshirt? You can always cancel the redshirt in the middle of the season if something changes, and worst case if after 4 years at Duke he decides he doesn't want to use his fifth year, no one is forcing him to, but it is nice to have that optionality. I felt the same way about Vrank's roughly 15 minutes of PT his freshman year.

Vrank was offered the chance to redshirt and declined. Tucker may have been a similar case. No way for us to know.

magjayran
11-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Again I apologize if this has been brought up. I tried the search feature and tried looking for old threads. I used to be more active on forums like this but I have an 11 month old now so while I'm finding time to watch the games, I'm not finding much time to keep up with the rumors/gossip/speculation about players and potential recruits. I actually watched the Elon game and didn't remember him getting in which might actually be the answer to my question now that I think about it.

FerryFor50
11-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Again I apologize if this has been brought up. I tried the search feature and tried looking for old threads. I used to be more active on forums like this but I have an 11 month old now so while I'm finding time to watch the games, I'm not finding much time to keep up with the rumors/gossip/speculation about players and potential recruits. I actually watched the Elon game and didn't remember him getting in which might actually be the answer to my question now that I think about it.

I was just giving you a hard time. I don't feel like any topic is off limits to discuss. :)

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2017, 09:37 AM

Don't apologize. It's a good thread. My take is that Tucker is a very one-dimensional player right now. And even though this team needs 3pt shooting, I don't think adding Tucker will removing one of our core 7 adds is a net gain.

Goldwire is getting minutes because we need a 1 back up and Coach K doesn't want Allen touching the 1. O'Connell is getting burn minutes because he's just more skilled than Tucker in most aspects of the game. IMO, this may be the case of rankings not accurately reflecting playing time.

lotusland
11-22-2017, 10:46 AM
It’s a bad idea to red-shirt if you want the option to transfer later. Duke is thin at guard and it most likely wasn’t clear by the Elon game that Alex is a better option this year. JTuck could still move up to the 7th or 8th position especially in the event of an injury to a guard. Duke most likely loses 3 guard/wing starters for next year but also adds 3 OAD level guard/wings. If Trent were to stay, Alex, Justin, JGold, as wells as Jack and Trent, would actually move further down in the rotation (possible a couple minutes at 4 may be available for Jack and JTuck at 4 depending on Javin/Bolden leaving and no new bigs). Next year we’ll see how Jack, JTuck/Alex react to another year at the end of the bench. I think Jim speculated that one of those 3 may not be back next year. JGold most likely has a role and lower expectations. To my disappointment I have to admit that Jack doesn’t look like a starter or rotation guy at Duke. This off season we might find out if Jack is OK with a minimal role. The “loser” between Alex and JTuck will also be looking at a minimal role for their sophomore year and will be faced with a decision. Vrank looks like a Senior Captain and rotation guy next year. I would love to have Javin, Bolden and Jack the following year but that seems unlikely. We should have at least one and hopefully 2 seniors the following year between JGold, JTuck and Alex. Just realized idk how many yrs of eligibility JRob has.

UrinalCake
11-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Best answer I can give is that O’Connell has played better than expected and he and Tucker are kind of mutually exclusive as they are similar players.

I figured coming into the season that one of Tucker, O’Connell and White would emerge as the big guard/wing off the bench. I thought it would be Tucker but O’Connell put on some weight and is coming along nicely. And K would rather give 15 minutes to one player rather than 7-8 minutes to two players.

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2017, 11:55 AM
Best answer I can give is that O’Connell has played better than expected and he and Tucker are kind of mutually exclusive as they are similar players.

I figured coming into the season that one of Tucker, O’Connell and White would emerge as the big guard/wing off the bench. I thought it would be Tucker but O’Connell put on some weight and is coming along nicely. And K would rather give 15 minutes to one player rather than 7-8 minutes to two players.

Yeah, I think it's fairly obvious that Coach K is looking for one guy to back up both of Grayson and Gary. Right now, that guy is Alex O'Connell. That could change, but O'Connell has impressed in his albeit limited opportunities.

Looking big picture, we should be delighted to be talking about the 10th, 11th, or 13th player off the bench. It seems like the team is featuring a 9-man rotation so far. Trevon and Goldwire at the point; Grayson, Gary, and Alex on the wings; Marvin, Wendell, Javin, and Marques up front. Other than the games where Marques was getting over strep throat, that's the rotation at the moment. And frankly, I love this rotation. Play Vrankovic when there's a big lead or foul trouble. Otherwise, no complaints.

devildeac
11-22-2017, 12:14 PM
In agreement with others, I see the rotation kinda/sorta settling out (in?) and don't envision much PT for Tucker given the "two-deep" that has been outlined above/manifest already in the games we've played.

jv001
11-22-2017, 01:21 PM

You have your priorities right. Give your child/children all the time that you can. They grow up quickly and you never know what life has in store for them. God bless and GoDuke!

TruBlu
11-22-2017, 01:33 PM
You have your priorities right. Give your child/children all the time that you can. They grow up quickly and you never know what life has in store for them. God bless and GoDuke!

True words. Seems like just a few years ago that I was driving my daughters to middle school, then teaching them to drive. Now they are married and living out of state.

The good thing is that they have given me the gift of 4 granddaughters to love and spoil and watch grow up too quick.

CDu
11-22-2017, 02:16 PM

I would argue that it's a reasonable question WITH a seemingly easy answer right now. Duke under Coach K doesn't play a deep bench. He has not shown himself to be as good as O'Connell, DeLaurier, or White as a back on the wing or forward spot. He doesn't play PG, so he can't compete with Goldwire either. Thus, he doesn't play.

BandAlum83
11-22-2017, 02:42 PM

I rocked my children to a lullaby soft version of the Duke Fight Song and they could sing it at 3 yrs old. They watched games with me from a young age also.

Never to young to start :)

PeteZaHut
11-22-2017, 05:27 PM
In the one-and-done era, K has had a real knack for driving out talent by not giving them any playing time. Guys that might not be a top-3 pick in the draft that year, but have a chance to develop into really great 4-year guys. Alex Murphy, Semi Ojeleye, Chase Jeter.

There seems to be a pattern of really catering to the one-and-done guys. Kyrie got to wear #1. Austin Rivers got to wear the arm sleeve. I remember when the team had to vote to allow Zoubek to have the beard his senior year. I have a feeling there aren't any facial hair rules anymore. Is anyone else disgusted by the fact that Marvin Bagley is wearing a retired jersey?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 05:32 PM
In the one-and-done era, K has had a real knack for driving out talent by not giving them any playing time. Guys that might not be a top-3 pick in the draft that year, but have a chance to develop into really great 4-year guys. Alex Murphy, Semi Ojeleye, Chase Jeter.

There seems to be a pattern of really catering to the one-and-done guys. Kyrie got to wear #1. Austin Rivers got to wear the arm sleeve. I remember when the team had to vote to allow Zoubek to have the beard his senior year. I have a feeling there aren't any facial hair rules anymore. Is anyone else disgusted by the fact that Marvin Bagley is wearing a retired jersey?

Someone is a negative nelly out here on Thanksgiving Eve.

College basketball has changed over the years, and K has evolved with the times. Not evolving leads to Bob Knight's waning career - ousted at IU where he had once been a demigod, then forgettable years at Texas Tech. K has won consistently since the mid-80s - not sure what you want to nit pick there.

And no, I am not "disgusted" with Bagley's jersey. If Ferry gave his blessing, I don't see why I should get bent out of shape. Additionally, I would bet an entire generation of young fans were given the chance to Google "Danny Ferry" and learn some Duke ancient history.

plimnko
11-22-2017, 05:33 PM

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article167936122.html

MChambers
11-22-2017, 05:34 PM

Every school has transfers. But Duke has had some pretty great four year guys recently: all of the Plumlees, Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson, Quinn Cook, for example.

No, I’m not disgusted by wearing a retired jersey. Why would I care about that? It’s just a number, not the Shroud of Turin.

Saratoga2
11-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Alex looks close to 6'6" and weighed in at the mid 170's. When you say he has added weight how do you know that? He certainly could go up to 200 and would be better for it.

PeteZaHut
11-22-2017, 05:49 PM
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article167936122.html

I know Ferry gave it the ok. That's not the issue. The issue is that it gives the impression that at some point, Bagley requested to wear that number as part of his agreeing to come to Duke (before you attack me, I know I don't know whether that's true or not. I'm saying that it appears to be that way given how it was presented when he made his commitment announcement. Coach K has always bragged that he doesn't promise kids things like playing time when he recruits them. He wants them to invest in being part of something bigger than themselves. How is the idea that "I'm so special that I should get to wear a retired jersey" consistent with that message?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 05:52 PM
I know Ferry gave it the ok. That's not the issue. The issue is that it gives the impression that at some point, Bagley requested to wear that number as part of his agreeing to come to Duke (before you attack me, I know I don't know whether that's true or not. I'm saying that it appears to be that way given how it was presented when he made his commitment announcement. Coach K has always bragged that he doesn't promise kids things like playing time when he recruits them. He wants them to invest in being part of something bigger than themselves. How is the idea that "I'm so special that I should get to wear a retired jersey" consistent with that message?

MB: Coach, I would love to come to Duke. Can I keep my number?
K: Let's talk with Danny, it could be a cool moment tying Duke basketball today with Duke basketball in the 80's
Ferry: thanks for calling, what a neat thing

Don't try so hard to find subtext. Bagley seems like a good, hardworking young man.

PeteZaHut
11-22-2017, 06:13 PM
MB: Coach, I would love to come to Duke. Can I keep my number?
K: Let's talk with Danny, it could be a cool moment tying Duke basketball today with Duke basketball in the 80's
Ferry: thanks for calling, what a neat thing

Don't try so hard to find subtext. Bagley seems like a good, hardworking young man.
I'm not questioning Bagley's character. I'm thrilled to have him at Duke. I'm just not buying this crap from K that he hasn't change; the landscape has changed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm not questioning Bagley's character. I'm thrilled to have him at Duke. I'm just not buying this crap from K that he hasn't change; the landscape has changed.

K definitely has changed. Would you prefer Bobby Knight? I am not sure what you are arguing. No one here says K is the same coach he was at his first Final Four in 1986.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 02:57 PM
I read an observation that Tucker was sitting at the end of the bench last night, not dressed out. Is that true? Seems odd to travel and at least not be in uniform.

grad_devil
11-30-2017, 03:54 PM
I read an observation that Tucker was sitting at the end of the bench last night, not dressed out. Is that true? Seems odd to travel and at least not be in uniform.

If you watch the first 10 seconds of this game replay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnWdnaas0-U), you'll see Jordan Tucker in his warm-up gear. Not sure who wrote the observation, but it seems incorrect.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 04:21 PM
If you watch the first 10 seconds of this game replay (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnWdnaas0-U), you'll see Jordan Tucker in his warm-up gear. Not sure who wrote the observation, but it seems incorrect.

Thanks. Being an after game read, I didn't have a way to verify. Seemed odd to me. (I am way too focused to the 5 on the court to pay attention to who is sitting next to Sean Obi.)

arnie
11-30-2017, 04:33 PM
Thanks. Being an after game read, I didn't have a way to verify. Seemed odd to me. (I am way too focused to the 5 on the court to pay attention to who is sitting next to Sean Obi.)

Was Jordan on the Maryland bench too?😀

kAzE
11-30-2017, 04:34 PM

You mean on Maryland's bench? Obi's not on the team anymore :p

All kidding aside, remember when most of us thought Tucker was going to be the 7th man in the rotation? I guess that was before Bagley signed on, but still, wow were we wrong about that . . .

EDTI: Damn, I got beat to the Maryland joke.

duke4ever19
11-30-2017, 04:38 PM
Thanks. Being an after game read, I didn't have a way to verify. Seemed odd to me. (I am way too focused to the 5 on the court to pay attention to who is sitting next to Sean Obi

I think I saw the picture you were talking about. I saw it on the Duke basketball Facebook page (Not the official page, but a fan page). Tucker was sitting on the other side of the trainer and people were speculating about his body language.

It's like those people don't understand that Coach K doesn't just hand out starters minutes like Halloween candy for just being a "highly-touted recruit on the roster."
Chris Burgess is a good example of a highly-touted player that ended up having to scrap and claw for minutes, despite his reputation coming into college.

If Tucker isn't getting playing time (and he's not injured), then it's because his performance in practice isn't sufficient to knock someone else out of the rotation. I fully believe that K just wants the best players on the court, no matter who they are, and if he doesn't think Tucker is one of those players, then that's that.

djp10
11-30-2017, 05:20 PM
like it or not, Bagley is a "brand" (or at least all signs point to him becoming one when he goes pro). asking to keep his number 35 in the interest of that brand doesn't mean he isn't also interested in investing in being something bigger than himself—those aren't mutually exclusive ideas.

mattman91
11-30-2017, 05:31 PM
I did notice that he was sitting on the opposite side of the trainers and did not get any high fives or "daps" when players were checking out. Seemed strange to me.

jimsumner
11-30-2017, 06:07 PM
But has he tweeted anything? That's how we figure stuff out these days.

Jeffrey
11-30-2017, 06:21 PM
But has he tweeted anything? That's how we figure stuff out these days.

Only half of us.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Only half of us.

Actually that is only 46% of Americans, and it only counts if there is a trailing exclamation mark.

CameronBornAndBred
11-30-2017, 07:44 PM
Was Jordan on the Maryland bench too?��

So far down the end of the bench that he winds up in a different state. ;)

EDTI: Damn, I got beat to the Maryland joke.
Yer still faster than Obi.

Furniture
11-30-2017, 08:19 PM
I actually thought he has been quite supportive perhaps not to the same degree as bouncing bunny Goldwire but I would not say he was sulking at the end of the bench.

westwall
12-06-2017, 10:31 AM
What thoughts after last night's game? Espn's half-time box score indicated that Tucker made a first half appearance, but I don't recall it; a mistake? He sure looked like a shooter in the second half, but I thought he seemed reluctant to engage in physical play under the boards.

BandAlum83
12-06-2017, 10:38 AM
So after yesterday's appearance, does that mean he has burned his potential redshirt for the year, or is that only if he appears in a Conference game (or more than 10%) of the conference game?

I kid...obviously (sad I have to add this disclaimer for those who probably think I am asking a serious question)

Henderson
12-06-2017, 10:47 AM
What thoughts after last night's game? Espn's half-time box score indicated that Tucker made a first half appearance, but I don't recall it; a mistake? He sure looked like a shooter in the second half, but I thought he seemed reluctant to engage in physical play under the boards.

I think it's hard to know based on so limited game time. I think you'd have to be present for practices and team meetings to know how he's developing. I counsel patience and acknowledgment of how little we know how he's doing in practice. He's a freshman who was never projected as a OAD on a team loaded with OADs (and a few very good non-freshmen).

ChillinDuke
12-06-2017, 10:52 AM
I think it's hard to know based on so limited game time. I think you'd have to be present for practices and team meetings to know how he's developing. I counsel patience and acknowledgment of how little we know how he's doing in practice. He's a freshman who was never projected as a OAD on a team loaded with OADs (and a few very good non-freshmen).

He certainly has the size to compete, and he sure looked fluid out there (which is more than you can say for some freshmen). Unfortunately it was only mop-up duty.

Shot looked nice, but they all do when they go in.

- Chillin

DukieInBrasil
12-06-2017, 11:25 AM
I'm happy that he scored his first points, made his first collegiate FG, made his first collegiate 3FG.
We may never know if he had a minor injury or illness at the start of the year that prevented the staff from wanting him to risk further complications. He may have been perfectly healthy but just didn't meet the standards for getting PT, which is something Fr. have to adjust to from HS to Duke. It may just be that K has been trying to figure out how to get the team to play 40 minutes of intensity, and last night was the first time he felt that the combination of intensity from the starters and outcome of the game were sufficient to go deeper on the bench.
Whatever it was, J-Tuck showed that he can do positive things when given the chance. Hopefully he builds on this.

BD80
12-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm happy that he scored his first points, made his first collegiate FG, made his first collegiate 3FG.
We may never know if he had a minor injury or illness at the start of the year that prevented the staff from wanting him to risk further complications. He may have been perfectly healthy but just didn't meet the standards for getting PT, which is something Fr. have to adjust to from HS to Duke. It may just be that K has been trying to figure out how to get the team to play 40 minutes of intensity, and last night was the first time he felt that the combination of intensity from the starters and outcome of the game were sufficient to go deeper on the bench.
Whatever it was, J-Tuck showed that he can do positive things when given the chance. Hopefully he builds on this.

How many college coaches saw Tucker's performance and just shook their heads: "that is Duke's TWELVTH man?"

Kedsy
12-06-2017, 12:58 PM
How many college coaches saw Tucker's performance and just shook their heads: "that is Duke's TWELVTH man?"

Only the ones who couldn't spell. ;)

Gorilla
12-06-2017, 01:38 PM
I saw on another board that tucker liked a post saying he should have went to syracuse.

dragoneye776
12-06-2017, 01:49 PM

Arguably thirteenth, as Justin Robinson has usually been playing ahead of him on the rotation

JasonEvans
12-06-2017, 01:54 PM
I saw on another board that tucker liked a post saying he should have went to syracuse.

Yeah, umm, this sounds like rumor mongering. How exactly did Jordan Tucker "like" a post on a forum? How do we know it was Tucker who did it?

If he wants to leave, he will leave. I hope he stays and works on his game and turns into Javin Delaurier next season (little used, end of the bench freshman who becomes a very solid contributor as a soph) but if he thinks Duke is not the right place for him, I wish him well in his quest to find the right place.

CameronBornAndBred
12-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Yeah, umm, this sounds like rumor mongering. How exactly did Jordan Tucker "like" a post on a forum? How do we know it was Tucker who did it?

If he wants to leave, he will leave. I hope he stays and works on his game and turns into Javin Delaurier next season (little used, end of the bench freshman who becomes a very solid contributor as a soph) but if he thinks Duke is not the right place for him, I wish him well in his quest to find the right place.

JT is on Facebook, and that's likely where he would have "liked" something. That being said, I like things all the time, doesn't mean I agree with them, but moreso acknowledge that the person who commented bothered to say something on one of my posts.

IE..."That painting looks great, you do well with those paint by number things!" And I "like it" while thinking "screw you, buddy".

BandAlum83
12-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Whatever board that might have been, it could use a healthy dose of grammar correct.

Past participles are our friends!

I saw on another board that Tucker liked a post saying he should have gone to Syracuse.