PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Portland St (Thu, 11/23, 4:30ET, ESPN) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-21-2017, 11:06 PM
Duke travels to Portland for their opening game in the Phil Knight Invitational.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Do we count this as a road game or a neutral site game?

Portland State is 4-0. Scanned some box scores but don’t know enough about the competition to glean much. Lois like they play about seven deep primarily?

Preseason picked for eighth out of twelve in the Big Sky best I can find.

Bluedog
11-21-2017, 11:48 PM
Do we count this as a road game or a neutral site game?

Portland State is 4-0. Scanned some box scores but don’t know enough about the competition to glean much. Lois like they play about seven deep primarily?

Preseason picked for eighth out of twelve in the Big Sky best I can find.

Kenpom classifies it as a "semi-away" game for Duke. Traditionally, those are games in locales of one of the teams, but not in the stadium they typically play in on campus.

They are a strong offensive rebounding team (41% off reb, good for 12th in the nation) and good 3 pt shooting team at 42.5% (33rd in country). (But they're a poor FT shooting team). They also turn the ball over a lot (22%, good for 257th in the country). So, expect pressure man to man and trying to force turnovers like we always do while crashing the boards.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Kenpom classifies it as a "semi-away" game for Duke. Traditionally, those are games in locales of one of the teams, but not in the stadium they typically play in on campus.

A “s’way” game?

juise
11-22-2017, 02:55 AM
I was at the last Duke game in Portland (battle of Singlers vs. Oregon in Nov. 2010) and I remember that crowd being fairly pro-Duke. It will be interesting to see how this one shakes out. A lot of people bought full tournament passes, so there will be fans of other teams there likely pulling for the upset. I would expect the remnant of UNC fans will watch the Heels blow out UP next door and then go enjoy a Thanksgiving meal rather than mosey over to the Coliseum. Shouldn't matter either way in this one. I'm pumped!

Go Duke!

arnie
11-22-2017, 07:09 AM
UNC (guess I can’t refer to them any other way based on new posting rules) game is listed to start at 2:30. So our game can’t possibly start till after 5 pm - correct? Or if the games are on different courts, will ESPN work this out to allow us to see beginning of our game? Anyone know the actual tip off times or how this works?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 07:26 AM
UNC (guess I can’t refer to them any other way based on new posting rules) game is listed to start at 2:30. So our game can’t possibly start till after 5 pm - correct? Or if the games are on different courts, will ESPN work this out to allow us to see beginning of our game? Anyone know the actual tip off times or how this works?

I seem to remember in previous discussion that the different bracket early rounds are, in fact, in different arenas.

arnie
11-22-2017, 07:35 AM
I seem to remember in previous discussion that the different bracket early rounds are, in fact, in different arenas.

Thanks - a later start time impacts Thanksgiving plans. Either miss the entire last half or file for divorce.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Thanks - a later start time impacts Thanksgiving plans. Either miss the entire last half or file for divorce.

Well, I can see that you have a lot to mull besides cider.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 07:59 AM

Don't take it as gospel. That is just my recollection when the tournament was first discussed.

uh_no
11-22-2017, 08:14 AM

I'm sure there are a few lawyers on here that can help you out

budwom
11-22-2017, 08:21 AM

They are a strong offensive rebounding team (41% off reb, good for 12th in the nation) and good 3 pt shooting team at 42.5% (33rd in country). (But they're a poor FT shooting team). They also turn the ball over a lot (22%, good for 257th in the country). So, expect pressure man to man and trying to force turnovers like we always do while crashing the boards.

bad team + bad opponents = useless stats. They aren't 12th in the nation at anything.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 09:15 AM

The lawyers will tell you that your best option is typically to avoid divorce in these circumstances. Messy and expensive. Plus, it’s a non-conference game.

flyingdutchdevil
11-22-2017, 09:39 AM
The lawyers will tell you that your best option is typically to avoid divorce in these circumstances. Messy and expensive. Plus, it’s a non-conference game.

I counter with "It's a Duke basketball game".

But I must admit that I'm in a similar position. Thank goodness for Watch ESPN replay.

Rich
11-22-2017, 09:54 AM

A “s’way” game?

I just refer to these types of games as an "Ojeleye".

Henderson
11-22-2017, 10:03 AM

There are two venues side-by-side: The big stage is the Moda Center (fka The Rose Garden), where the Blazers now play. The smaller stage (but still a 12,000 seat arena) is the Memorial Coliseum, which is adjacent and where the Blazers used to play. The two arenas share a plaza, so people can easily walk from one to the other. ESPN's scheduling suggests they are planning to cut from one game to the other as circumstances warrant.

Kfanarmy
11-22-2017, 10:05 AM

New posting rules?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-22-2017, 10:08 AM
New posting rules?

Don't ask. You will get lots of varying opinions. If you don't already know, just carry on as though nothing has changed.

BandAlum83
11-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Don't ask. You will get lots of varying opinions. If you don't already know, just carry on as though nothing has changed.

From JBDuke:

Please note that future posts in any thread on these boards that does not advance the discussion in that thread and serves only to bash the Heels will be subject to moderation per our Posting Guidelines. (The notable exception being the "GTH Carolina / 9F" threads that pop up when a Duke-UNC game is imminent.) Needless posts, repetitive rants, uncivil posts, posts with inappropriate language, etc. are still not allowed and will be cited.

Troublemaker
11-22-2017, 11:04 AM
UNC (guess I can’t refer to them any other way based on new posting rules) game is listed to start at 2:30.

New posting rules?

What the mods want to happen on UNC-related posts going forward is laid out below. Everyone should try to read it.

With that said, I can't imagine the mods meant that you can't refer to the Cheaters as the Cheaters. If I'm wrong about that, I'll learn about it the hard way, haha. But I'm not wrong about that.

Basically, two things:
(1) There are many DBR posters who would like to discuss UNC basketball, even if they are a minority of all DBR posters. They should not be pestered. I include myself in this group.
(2) People should still be civil to Wheat.

This thread has long since passed its useful life. If there is any new development in the UNC academic/athletic scandal, we'll start a new thread. Continuing to gripe about it here doesn't serve much purpose, so this thread is CLOSED. FWIW, we've also closed the "safe" thread, too. Discussion on the Heels' current season and games belongs in the "This Week in the ACC" thread, the latest of which is here: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...CC-11-20-11-26 (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40789-This-Week-in-the-ACC-11-20-11-26)

Please note that future posts in any thread on these boards that does not advance the discussion in that thread and serves only to bash the Heels will be subject to moderation per our Posting Guidelines. (The notable exception being the "GTH Carolina / 9F" threads that pop up when a Duke-UNC game is imminent.) Needless posts, repetitive rants, uncivil posts, posts with inappropriate language, etc. are still not allowed and will be cited.

4Gen
11-22-2017, 11:51 AM

I'm a lawyer. It's a matter of priorities. You WILL lose in court if you blow off the gathering. Contemplate and make your best decision. Life is not easy.

uh_no
11-22-2017, 11:55 AM
I'm a lawyer. It's a matter of priorities. You WILL lose in court if you blow off the gathering. Contemplate and make your best decision. Life is not easy.

and you'll lose in court if you don't watch the game!

seems a lose lose!

arnie
11-22-2017, 12:18 PM

A true 4:30 start time means we’d only be 30-45 minutes late; do I still lose everything in court? If so, guess I’ll make the call part way into 2nd half. Free legal advice is great😀

BandAlum83
11-22-2017, 12:20 PM
and you'll lose in court if you don't watch the game!

seems a lose lose!

DVR!! [clap][clap][clap][clap][clap]

arnie
11-22-2017, 12:28 PM
What the mods want to happen on UNC-related posts going forward is laid out below. Everyone should try to read it.

With that said, I can't imagine the mods meant that you can't refer to the Cheaters as the Cheaters. If I'm wrong about that, I'll learn about it the hard way, haha. But I'm not wrong about that.

Basically, two things:
(1) There are many DBR posters who would like to discuss UNC basketball, even if they are a minority of all DBR posters. They should not be pestered. I include myself in this group.
(2) People should still be civil to Wheat.

I completely misinterpreted the intent of the posting rules. I thought we had to use “How Great Thou Art” or equivalent when referencing that institution of higher learning.

DavidBenAkiva
11-22-2017, 12:37 PM

Good, quick analysis! I took a deeper look into their stats and found a few surprises.

Their top player so far is Bryce Canda. The 6'4" senior guard is a native of Portland. He's the only one that has played more than 30 minutes per game so far this season. He shoots a lot of 3's - 7.3 attempts/game so far - and connects on a number of them (37.9%). That's slightly better than his free throw rate, which is just 35.7%. Canda shot nearly 80% from the charity stripe last season, so his struggles at the line this year are probably a little fluky. At any rate, he is also the team's leading rebounder. Bottling him up and keeping him off the defensive boards would be a good way to limit the Vikings.

The Portland State Vikings do have some size. Senior center Ryan Edwards is 7'1" tall. The former Gonzaga player shoots, too, and has hit half of his 6 3-point attempts this season. Despite his height advantage, he doesn't rebound the ball very well. Edwards showed more rebounding prowess at Gonzaga, so maybe that's something that could change as well.

Other than that, this team looks fairly similar to Furman on paper. They have a mix of juniors and seniors that fill out most of the rotation. A lot of guys take 3-point shots and there isn't one player that seems to be their primary point guard. The Vikings turn the ball over A LOT (17.4% of their possessions). Their offensive rebounding rates have indeed been quite good, coming in at 23rd in the nation on the young season. But that has been against inferior competition.

They have also fouled on a ton of plays. Nearly 30% of their defensive possessions has involved a foul. Their five tallest players are all committing 8.6 or more fouls per 40 minutes so far. By contrast, Antonio Vrankovic has committed 7.7 fouls per 40 minutes on the season and no one else is at 5 or more. I expect that Bagley, Carter, and Bolden will have to deliver at the foul line to keep this game out of reach.

Let's Go Duke!

BD80
11-22-2017, 02:08 PM
UNC (guess I can’t refer to them any other way based on new posting rules) ...

They don't deserve, nor does the board require, the letters be capitalized. unc

This should have been addressed in the pre-nup. Such plans should not be made to interfere with a Duke game.

... Their top player so far is Bryce Canda. ...

Give him an "eh" and he could be an immigrant from a few miles north ...

Henderson
11-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Looks like Duke is a 22-23 point favorite against Portland State.

Duke is listed as the home team, which is pretty funny given that PSU is less than 2 miles from the Moda Center.

PSU is very much an urban commuter school without much of a history of sports enthusiasm. I doubt 5% of its undergrads would even know who Neil Lomax is. Other grads include jazz bassist and vocalist Esperanza Spalding (arguably the most beautiful woman alive) and Hon. Anna Brown, who presided over the trial of the Bundy brothers et al. in Portland last year. I picked up a few credits there while in high school before matriculating at Duke.

I wouldn't count on the PSU students or alums to dominate the building. There will be a strong Duke contingent, but the locals + fans of other teams will probably make it a 70-30 away game crowd.

devildeac
11-22-2017, 05:18 PM
Looks like Duke is a 22-23 point favorite against Portland State.

Duke is listed as the home team, which is pretty funny given that PSU is less than 2 miles from the Moda Center.

PSU is very much an urban commuter school without much of a history of sports enthusiasm. I doubt 5% of its undergrads would even know who Neil Lomax is. Other grads include jazz bassist and vocalist Esperanza Spalding (arguably the most beautiful woman alive) and Hon. Anna Brown, who presided over the trial of the Bundy brothers et al. in Portland last year. I picked up a few credits there while in high school before matriculating at Duke.

I wouldn't count on the PSU students or alums to dominate the building. There will be a strong Duke contingent, but the locals + fans of other teams will probably make it a 70-30 away game crowd.

Just as long as the South Carolina and other c*rolina fans keep their miserable presence to a minimum...

4Gen
11-22-2017, 06:27 PM
A true 4:30 start time means we’d only be 30-45 minutes late; do I still lose everything in court? If so, guess I’ll make the call part way into 2nd half. Free legal advice is great😀

Uh, you'll be getting my bill.

MChambers
11-23-2017, 12:23 PM
Our Thanksgiving plans start at 4:30 at the house of two close friends, so I’ll probably have to sneak a look at the score on my phone in the bathroom, unless the man of the house manages to have the TV on. Hoping for an easy win, more work in the man-to-man, fair amount of time for the reserves.

-jk
11-23-2017, 03:39 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke! (And Happy Thanksgiving, too!)

-jk

proelitedota
11-23-2017, 03:57 PM
I am expecting us to have our second hardest game today after MSU. All that turkey needs to be worked out slowly. :rolleyes:

arnie
11-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Oh no - ESPN trying to ruin a Thanksgiving. Bilas is announcing😡

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 04:46 PM
Wow Allen is off. Two ugly bricks on 2
3's so far. Is it the right wrist that he hurt?

AGDukesky
11-23-2017, 05:03 PM
This team has got to find a way to generate turnovers

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:05 PM
This team has got to find a way to generate turnovers

They've got to find a way to defend the 3. Wide open 3's for the opponent all season so far.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 05:06 PM
Duval should be benched, barely jogging back on d. Bagley not doing much more. Some embarrassing effort.

arnie
11-23-2017, 05:07 PM
They've got to find a way to defend the 3. Wide open 3's for the opponent all season so far.

OAD defensive effort

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Duval should be benched, barely jogging back on d. Bagley not doing much more. Some embarrassing effort.

They're gassed. Even Allen looked gassed 3 minutes into the game.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Thus Portland State team brings the energy! I thunk Bolden looked pretty good out there. Carter is MIA.
We'll need Grayson to play basketball at some point. One great slam, but his shooting is way off.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Bolden has looked great the last game and a half so far.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 05:14 PM
They're gassed. Even Allen looked gassed 3 minutes into the game.

Portland state is pressing and running and getting back so no excuse

duke4ever19
11-23-2017, 05:15 PM
O'Connell is gasping for breath!!

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Portland state is pressing and running and getting back so no excuse

That's their style and clearly they're in better shape. Not an excuse but a reason why. I'd bet Allen is the most in shape player on Duke and he was breathing really hard when he was shooting free throws a few minutes into the game. If he's gassed then the whole team must be. Going to have to fight through it and play smart.

chrishoke
11-23-2017, 05:19 PM
Out rebounded, out hustled and out shot. Damn.

subzero02
11-23-2017, 05:19 PM
That's their style and clearly they're in better shape. Not an excuse but a reason why. I'd bet Allen is the most in shape player on Duke and he was breathing really hard when he was shooting free throws a few minutes into the game. If he's gassed then the whole team must be. Going to have to fight through it and play smart.

Or slow it down and use our size. I just heard that we've only forced one turnover.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:20 PM
Or slow it down and use our size. I just heard that we've only forced one turnover.

That too. I don't think Carter has a single post touch yet.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 05:22 PM

Duval is plenty happy running on o, he needs to on d.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:23 PM
Duval is plenty happy running on o, he needs to on d.

He along with most of the team is resting on defense. The last two possessions the defense has picked it up though.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Right now I'm going to predict we win this game by 17 or more.
Too many fouls for Portland State, and their shooting has to revert to the mean.

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 05:25 PM
Well i think jr summed it up .we dont look conditioned enough for this pace.

subzero02
11-23-2017, 05:29 PM
This half will do nothing good for our defensive efficiency ratings in kenpom...

Whoever had Portland state by 4 for the half with 49 points... please stand up...

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Right now I'm going to predict we win this game by 17 or more.
Too many fouls for Portland State, and their shooting has to revert to the mean.

They're shooting a little over 40% on the season from 3 so they're not too much higher than their season average. If they keep getting wide open ones I don't think they're going to go miss a whole lot in the 2nd half.

Embarrassing defense effort so far.

Tripping William
11-23-2017, 05:30 PM
Deonte North is Bootsy Thornton reincarnate.

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 05:31 PM
We look like we are just cruising waiting on someone or something to happen.

OZ
11-23-2017, 05:36 PM
...little defense... no pressure on the ball

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Let's hope for some better effort this half. 1 forced turnover and fewer than 5 offensive rebounds I'd bet.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 05:47 PM
Trent and Allen are supposed to be our deep threats. If they are both of, or margin is a lot thinner.
We need to slow the game down and get the ball inside.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 05:48 PM
That #2 on Portland must be what it's like to play Duke lol lot of flopping.

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Our o responds off of our D .we need better D.

jipops
11-23-2017, 05:56 PM
We need to get out of this zone.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 05:58 PM

Completely disagree. The zone is what is going to win us the game. It slows them down, which takes then completely out of their game.

I said it in an earlier post: the way we win this game is to slow it down and push the ball to the big guys inside.

Native
11-23-2017, 05:59 PM
Completely disagree. The zone is what is going to win us the game. It slows them down, which takes then completely out of their game.

I said it in an earlier post: the way we win this game is to slow it down and push the ball to the big guys inside.

+1. They got their largest lead while we were in man.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:00 PM

Duke's perimeter defense is just so bad though. I know it's early in the season but I fear what better guards are going to do to Duke. Someone like Joel Berry.

gray
11-23-2017, 06:00 PM

We also need to continue to get better at closing out on their shooters and limiting their second chances. They have more offensive rebounds than we do at this point.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 06:01 PM
We also need to continue to get better at closing out on their shooters and limiting their second chances. They have more offensive rebounds than we do at this point.

Agree.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:02 PM

The 3 point defense is very worrisome. Shouldn't be bad considering the length of the Duke guards.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 06:05 PM
We are giving up too many offensive rebounds.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Now is when Duke needs to pull away. Momentum slightly on Duke's side right now.

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 06:10 PM
I dont think he was trying to punch him .i do think that was a bush league step over on the guy tangled with allen.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Yup that #2 is clearly a Duke type player. Flopper and can shoot pretty well lol

gray
11-23-2017, 06:12 PM
I dont think he was trying to punch him .i do think that was a bush league step over on the guy tangled with allen.

Agreed that their player was trying to bait Grayson. Disagree about that punch. Clearly looked intentional to me.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 06:13 PM
3rd horrid charge call this game.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Agreed that their player was trying to bait Grayson. Disagree about that punch. Clearly looked intentional to me.

Yeah he clearly extended his arm towards Carter.

rsvman
11-23-2017, 06:14 PM
Seems like a lot of guys get really angry with Carter. Interesting....

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 06:15 PM
I thought he may have been trying for the ball in desperation.but its all good.
but the flop man.....;/

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 06:17 PM
3rd horrid charge call this game.

Agree .
We have to get some speration.they shoot to well.might have to start bluedevil homes.we have laid enough bricks to rebuild Biltmore.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:18 PM
8 point lead then missed 1 and 1 followed by 2 defensive breakdowns. Mental mistakes.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:20 PM
That Bagley shot was uhhh ugly lol never seen that before when a guy shot a 3 and it airbanked right back to him.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Portland state bench and especially coaches have been signaled to get off court about dozen times that I have seen, no surprise they got hit one of these times

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:27 PM
Hope Duke keeps their cool. Portland State stating to get borderline dirty. That #0 raised a forearm and stared down Trent as he ran by before that timeout.

Eternal Outlaw
11-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Not borderline dirty imo, they are there. Fans are pretty bad too

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:40 PM
A Portland State coach yelling for a Duke player to get a technical? No class.

gray
11-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Coach is still coaching with intensity!!

wavedukefan70s
11-23-2017, 06:47 PM
5 for portland state is a bag...t for clapping.footlocker is missing thier cashiers.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Bolden and O'Connell played great today.

WHOneedsSOX
11-23-2017, 07:01 PM
https://twitter.com/HankTucker13/status/933844089371426816