PDA

View Full Version : UK Attendance Down

hallcity
11-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Kentucky's attendance is down 15% or 3,500 per game (https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/uk-attendance-down-15-from-last-year.249422/) this year compared to the start of last season.

A quote from a fan (https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/uk-attendance-down-15-from-last-year.249422/):

Been to 3 or 4 games so far this year. Student upper deck is basically empty - sit wherever you want. This is the majority of the decrease. Idk if they will pick it up when we get in conference or what...

hallcity
03-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Take a look at the 8146 student section just before player introductions on Senior Night at UK yesterday. This came from the UK message board (https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/embarrasing-student-section-pic.259526/).

JasonEvans
03-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Check out (https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-rupp-arena-lowest-john-calipari-era)this chart... wow!

https://res.cloudinary.com/cmgverticals/image/upload/f_auto,q_auto/h_396,w_640/v1519868288/Screen-Shot-2018-02-28-at-8.37.29-PM_hykmpf.png

kAzE
03-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Check out (https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-rupp-arena-lowest-john-calipari-era)this chart... wow!

https://res.cloudinary.com/cmgverticals/image/upload/f_auto,q_auto/h_396,w_640/v1519868288/Screen-Shot-2018-02-28-at-8.37.29-PM_hykmpf.png

Looks like the stock market in 2018.

PackMan97
03-01-2018, 04:48 PM
Spoiled fans are spoiled?

I imagine that the one and done recruiting and lack of continuity from one season to the next is causing folks to care less about the team each year. Kentucky has ONE upperclassman this year, a Redshirt Jr who transferred from Transyvannia. His carreer stats? 10 games played, 11 minutes, 1 field goal attempted (and missed), 1 assist, 1 turnover.

If I had to guess, there are a lot of folks going to Cameron because of Allen, or to the Dean's Myth Center to see Pinson and Berry.

kAzE
03-01-2018, 04:53 PM

I imagine that the one and done recruiting and lack of continuity from one season to the next is causing folks to care less about the team each year. Kentucky has ONE upperclassman this year, a Redshirt Jr who transferred from Transyvannia. His carreer stats? 10 games played, 11 minutes, 1 field goal attempted (and missed), 1 assist, 1 turnover.

If I had to guess, there are a lot of folks going to Cameron because of Allen, or to the Dean's Myth Center to see Pinson and Berry.

We're about 2 or 3 more years of 1 and done recruiting classes from having a similar roster make up. But at least it's much harder to have empty seats in Cameron than Rupp Arena.

MCFinARL
03-01-2018, 04:55 PM
We're about 2 or 3 more years of 1 and done recruiting classes from having a similar roster make up. But at least it's much harder to have empty seats in Cameron than Rupp Arena.

Yes--and based on the Rupp student section photo earlier in the thread, it may help that the people in the student section in Cameron can actually see the court as well.

rsvman
03-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Yes--and based on the Rupp student section photo earlier in the thread, it may help that the people in the student section in Cameron can actually see the court as well.

Yep, and despite the sharp decline shown on the graph, the attendance is just shy of 22K, which is still a pretty big crowd for a college basketball game during the regular season.

uh_no
03-01-2018, 06:09 PM

I'd imagine it largely just tracks the decrease in attendance overall. College football and schools that don't land 1-and-dones see decreasing attendance too.

Dev11
03-01-2018, 06:18 PM

You're either above average height, have never stood in Section 17, or were the most dedicated fan to always have a spot in the first couple rows.

Signed,
Still hoping for 5'6"

uh_no
03-01-2018, 06:25 PM
You're either above average height, have never stood in Section 17, or were the most dedicated fan to always have a spot in the first couple rows.

Signed,
Still hoping for 5'6"

hey now, you found a way to get a decent seat for a time :)

Dev11
03-01-2018, 06:34 PM
hey now, you found a way to get a decent seat for a time :)

Clearly you never wore the old Blue Devil head. Seeing out of that thing was worse than being in the third row. Trust me, I have the scars to prove it.

uh_no
03-01-2018, 06:41 PM
Clearly you never wore the old Blue Devil head. Seeing out of that thing was worse than being in the third row. Trust me, I have the scars to prove it.

I said the seat was decent....not that one could see anything!

PeteZaHut
03-01-2018, 06:47 PM
What makes me sad is that if Duke didn't sell GA tickets to the public, our student section would look pretty thin for most games

devildeac
03-01-2018, 06:50 PM

Wait, is that you? I thought we had one of the groomsmen in the costume.:confused:

http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/download/file.php?id=1151&t=1

Truth&Justise
03-01-2018, 06:51 PM

That's a heck of an assumption. I know the author of the article made that suggestion, but lots of things can cause a decrease in attendance. Is there any reason to think it's this, and not something else (e.g. changes in cost of attendance, ticketing policy, availability of other entertainment options, student health, population numbers, overall popularity of the sport, etc.)?

As to your second point, I can only offer my own anecdotal evidence, but I went to games in Cameron to see the team play. I can't ever recall deciding to go because I wanted to see one individual player, be he a freshman or a senior. I just wanted to be in Cameron to cheer on the team, so I went to every game I could.

I don't doubt it's possible for a fan to feel less of a connection amid high-roster turnover, but I don't see any indication yet that it's pushing the overall attendance trend at UK.

cato
03-01-2018, 06:55 PM
It may be a happy accident, but the best thing that happened for Duke MBB (aside from K) was keeping Cameron small and the students in the bleachers.

Student attendance wanes? There are plenty of people who will take those seats

MCFinARL
03-01-2018, 09:40 PM

Signed,
Still hoping for 5'6"

You got me--I am a former Duke parent, not a Duke student, and I made assumptions about sight lines based on the proximity of court and seats. So I have never stood in Section 17. You know what they say-- "assume makes an a** of u and me." (not sure about whether that word passes the filter.)

MCFinARL
03-01-2018, 09:44 PM
That's a heck of an assumption. I know the author of the article made that suggestion, but lots of things can cause a decrease in attendance. Is there any reason to think it's this, and not something else (e.g. changes in cost of attendance, ticketing policy, availability of other entertainment options, student health, population numbers, overall popularity of the sport, etc.)?

As to your second point, I can only offer my own anecdotal evidence, but I went to games in Cameron to see the team play. I can't ever recall deciding to go because I wanted to see one individual player, be he a freshman or a senior. I just wanted to be in Cameron to cheer on the team, so I went to every game I could.

I don't doubt it's possible for a fan to feel less of a connection amid high-roster turnover, but I don't see any indication yet that it's pushing the overall attendance trend at UK.

Yes, and I suspect the part of attendance high-roster turnover is least likely to affect is student attendance--which probably depends more on whether going to games something cool that your friends are doing rather than on your devotion to particular players. It's the rest of us who want the continuity and story lines of multi-year players.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 08:13 AM
It may be a happy accident, but the best thing that happened for Duke MBB (aside from K) was keeping Cameron small and the students in the bleachers.

Student attendance wanes? There are plenty of people who will take those seats

Yep, because for all the bandwagon Dukies nationwide, the local population just isn't that big. If Duke had built some kind of bigger arena, or tried to expand Cameron, I think the results to the program over all might've been devastating. The atmosphere and energy is created by supply and demand, a crowded atmosphere, and a low ceiling (the ceiling is the roof or something...according to one of Dean's Myth players...)

AS A SIDE NOTE on attendance: While I love the look of the Wade Stadium renovation, I wish they had gone a different route. There are football stadia that have tremendous atmospheres with only 20-25 thousand people. Syracuse's dome is kind of that way, but there are outdoor stadia that also work while small. Maybe with the footprint of Wade that was impossible...but the U of Miami, also a private school facing empty football seats, did a better job with their reno in my opinion, at least with respects of atmosphere and noise.

Now back to basketball...

duke2x
03-02-2018, 09:28 AM
Yep, because for all the bandwagon Dukies nationwide, the local population just isn't that big. If Duke had built some kind of bigger arena, or tried to expand Cameron, I think the results to the program over all might've been devastating. The atmosphere and energy is created by supply and demand, a crowded atmosphere, and a low ceiling (the ceiling is the roof or something...according to one of Dean's Myth players...)

AS A SIDE NOTE on attendance: While I love the look of the Wade Stadium renovation, I wish they had gone a different route. There are football stadia that have tremendous atmospheres with only 20-25 thousand people. Syracuse's dome is kind of that way, but there are outdoor stadia that also work while small. Maybe with the footprint of Wade that was impossible...but the U of Miami, also a private school facing empty football seats, did a better job with their reno in my opinion, at least with respects of atmosphere and noise.

Now back to basketball...

Attending games in person has become a dying art unless you are a diehard like me that has watched Duke play in Rupp (NCAAs). Fancy TV with free trips to the fridge are the current norm. The last thing we want is to become Lawrence Joel at Wake and have 70% UNC fans at the game Saturday. That will be hard to do with Cameron after Coach K retires. I just wish Duke had a better way of filling the edges for ACC games. I'm not sure why the online system could not be extended to include location requests by floor level.

Without hijacking the thread too much for football, adding seats was necessary for the concept behind Wally Wade's expansion. Miami rents Joe Robbie Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale for football.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 10:22 AM
Attending games in person has become a dying art unless you are a diehard like me that has watched Duke play in Rupp (NCAAs). Fancy TV with free trips to the fridge are the current norm. The last thing we want is to become Lawrence Joel at Wake and have 70% UNC fans at the game Saturday. That will be hard to do with Cameron after Coach K retires. I just wish Duke had a better way of filling the edges for ACC games. I'm not sure why the online system could not be extended to include location requests by floor level.

Without hijacking the thread too much for football, adding seats was necessary for the concept behind Wally Wade's expansion. Miami rents Joe Robbie Stadium in Ft. Lauderdale for football.

Agree with you on the dying out of attendance, all the more reason to keep the stadia small.

I understand what you say about the concept behind Wade's expansion. That's my problem, the concept they decided on.... but they didn't ax my opinion......I'd rather a stadium that was kind of ugly and full and small over one that is very appealing to the eye and half empty. Kudos on the blue multi color seats....hides the empty seats better than the previous color scheme.

uh_no
03-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Agree with you on the dying out of attendance, all the more reason to keep the stadia small.

I understand what you say about the concept behind Wade's expansion. That's my problem, the concept they decided on... but they didn't ax my opinion...I'd rather a stadium that was kind of ugly and full and small over one that is very appealing to the eye and half empty. Kudos on the blue multi color seats...hides the empty seats better than the previous color scheme.

they didn't add THAT many seats....certainly not enough to make a significant difference in whether the stadium appears "full" or not.

HereBeforeCoachK
03-02-2018, 10:43 AM
they didn't add THAT many seats...certainly not enough to make a significant difference in whether the stadium appears "full" or not.

True, but they needed to subtract about 10K. Duke FB is not going to average more than about 25 - with bursts up to 40-45. There are ways to make a 25K stadium loud and hostile. But Wade's exiting footprint probably prevented that. Thank GOD they got rid of that track.