PDA

View Full Version : Javin Delaurier Tigger Thread

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Javin is Tigger come to life! Let us use this thread to pay homage this season to the incredible heights Javin will attain!

The wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is Tiggers are wonderful things
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs

They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about Tiggers
Is I'm the only one, I'm the only one!

ChillinDuke
11-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Javin is Tigger come to life! Let us use this thread to pay homage this season to the incredible heights Javin will attain!

I'm a fan of the nickname.

Hope he is...

- Chillin

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 09:25 AM
A harbinger from last year of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1XG1u-wv4&sns=em

Lunchab1es
11-21-2017, 09:34 AM
Javin is one of my favorite players on this team to watch - he may not be one of the "stars" but he's got the potential to become a human highlight reel.

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 09:55 AM
Javin is one of my favorite players on this team to watch - he may not be one of the "stars" but he's got the potential to become a human highlight reel.

Totally! I'll be looking to post highlights in this thread!

ChillinDuke
11-21-2017, 10:18 AM
A harbinger from last year of things to come:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh1XG1u-wv4&sns=em

Ha! The more I watch this clip, the more I'm reminded of actual Tigger!

- Chillin

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 10:26 AM
Ha! The more I watch this clip, the more I'm reminded of actual Tigger!

- Chillin

In this week's podcast, Chris Burgess mentions and Jason highlights Bagley's "Second Jump." This clip definitely shows a great second jump for Tigger also!

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 10:28 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk&sns=em

elvis14
11-21-2017, 11:22 AM
Really glad to see this thread. Like others, I really like Javin and think he's a lot of fun to watch. Last season I kept wishing he'd get more playing time. This season, he's earned more PT and I think he's making the most of it. Funny thing about him is that he gets up so quickly and easily that his dunks almost look less amazing than what they are because he makes amazing look easy.

cato
11-21-2017, 11:31 AM
If you read the Pooh books to your kids, Tigger is a sad character. The cheeriness is a cover for loneliness and his boasts ring hollow.

In the tradition of DBR nicknames, it is also, well, not my cup of tea.

I love Javin though.

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 11:39 AM
If you read the Pooh books to your kids, Tigger is a sad character. The cheeriness is a cover for loneliness and his boasts ring hollow.

In the tradition of DBR nicknames, it is also, well, not my cup of tea.

I love Javin though.

LOL. Buzz Kill, buddy Boy!

While the original Tigger was the only one, Javin is part of a Brotherhood. He will never be lonely!

As for his boasts ringing hollow, do you not think Tigger is "bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!??"

Mike Corey
11-21-2017, 11:49 AM
Love the support for Mr. Delaurier; not the nickname, for the literary reasons above, and for the inevitable pratfalls it invites of a bunch of Cameron Crazies chanting "Tigger" on national television.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 12:01 PM
Love the support for Mr. Delaurier; not the nickname, for the literary reasons above, and for the inevitable pratfalls it invites of a bunch of Cameron Crazies chanting "Tigger" on national television.

Yeah, I’m kinda in this camp.

DeLaurier is really really really fun to watch. I don’t think he needs a nickname, but if so — Bounce or Springs probably less problematic.

“Javin” is cool enough for me.

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I’m kinda in this camp.

DeLaurier is really really really fun to watch. I don’t think he needs a nickname, but if so — Bounce or Springs probably less problematic.

“Javin” is cool enough for me.

Bounce Springsteen?

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 12:03 PM
Bounce Springsteen?

May he lead us to Glory Days.

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 12:07 PM
May he lead us to Glory Days.

Down Thunder (Dunk) Road!

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 12:12 PM
I don't matter to me......

If you call him Tigger. He does have noticeably Tiggerish qualities none-the-less! :)

JasonEvans
11-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Javin's sick swat lat night checks in as play #3 on the Duke top 5 last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2NlXRJkpY0

-Jason "sorta surprised his steal and dunk early in the game didn't make the top 5..." Evans

flyingdutchdevil
11-21-2017, 02:49 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2NlXRJkpY0

-Jason "sorta surprised his steal and dunk early in the game didn't make the top 5..." Evans

Has there ever been a season that can compete with this season's Top 5 plays?

Alarmingly athletic...

duke4ever19
11-21-2017, 02:50 PM
I don't matter to me...

If you call him Tigger. He does have noticeably Tiggerish qualities none-the-less! :)

You need to work on that low self-esteem! :p

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
You need to work on that low self-esteem! :p

It is a song lyric (and title), since we were "lyricing" earlier....

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Thanks, Jason. This definitely makes me want to go back and see the game. That #2 play - pass under the basket - was unreal!

I'd love to see Javin's block that someone referenced where he pinned the ball to the backboard above the square.

DukieInBrasil
11-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Thanks, Jason. This definitely makes me want to go back and see the game. That #2 play - pass under the basket - was unreal!

I'd love to see Javin's block that someone referenced where he pinned the ball to the backboard above the square.

i searched for it a bit but it didn't come up, although the massive block from behind vs Mounce does. The awesome block takes place in the 2nd half.

DukieInBrasil
11-21-2017, 04:14 PM
just thought i'd point out that Javin has now scored more points this year than he did all of last year, which he accomplished during the Furman game. He also has more rebounds (accomplished vs Southern) and minutes played so far than all of last year, as well as assists, blocks and steals.
As a FT shooter, he's nearly in MP3 category for a young big, shooting 5-13 so far for his career.

BandAlum83
11-21-2017, 04:33 PM
just thought i'd point out that Javin has now scored more points this year than he did all of last year, which he accomplished during the Furman game. He also has more rebounds (accomplished vs Southern) and minutes played so far than all of last year, as well as assists, blocks and steals.
As a FT shooter, he's nearly in MP3 category for a young big, shooting 5-13 so far for his career.

Obrigado!

nmduke2001
11-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Love the support for Mr. Delaurier; not the nickname, for the literary reasons above, and for the inevitable pratfalls it invites of a bunch of Cameron Crazies chanting "Tigger" on national television.This x 1000.

CDu
11-22-2017, 02:36 PM

i searched for it a bit but it didn't come up, although the massive block from behind vs Mounce does. The awesome block takes place in the 2nd half.

Pretty sure there isn't a block where he pinned the ball above the square. His first block (about 45 seconds to go in the half) was right at rim height. His second block (at about 12:50 to go in the game) was a bit below the rim as both players jumped from a standstill. His third block (at about 12 minutes) was a tad above the rim, as he was ranging back and blocked a scoop layup. The fourth one was also a standstill jumping block that was below the rim.

I'm guessing the block of interest is the third block, which can be visually deceiving since it happened on the far side of the basket from the camera angle (making it look higher). It was the only one that was even arguably above the rim. But none was really anywhere near the top of the square.

Still a really impressive game from him, and two of the blocks were really impressive. But not quite THAT off-the-charts.

DukieInBrasil
11-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Pretty sure there isn't a block where he pinned the ball above the square. His first block (about 45 seconds to go in the half) was right at rim height. His second block (at about 12:50 to go in the game) was a bit below the rim as both players jumped from a standstill. His third block (at about 12 minutes) was a tad above the rim, as he was ranging back and blocked a scoop layup. The fourth one was also a standstill jumping block that was below the rim.

I'm guessing the block of interest is the third block, which can be visually deceiving since it happened on the far side of the basket from the camera angle (making it look higher). It was the only one that was even arguably above the rim. But none was really anywhere near the top of the square.

Still a really impressive game from him, and two of the blocks were really impressive. But not quite THAT off-the-charts.

That sounds about right. My streaming channel was so bad that i didn't get a clear view of that play anyway, and maybe my enthusiasm for the play is overriding what my eyes actually saw...

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 12:44 PM
With only 5 minutes played, Javin didn't have significant opportunity to channel Tigger, but the incredible block from behind on the layup attempt at the end of the game was not only spectacular, it clinched Duke's victory against the spread for all you degenerates out there. ;)

I tried to find a highlight clip, but couldn't find any.

blazindw
11-25-2017, 02:41 PM

Mike has hit the nail on the head here. We don't want these problems...trust me. Just thinking about it makes me wince.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:46 PM
Mike has hit the nail on the head here. We don't want these problems...trust me. Just thinking about it makes me wince.

I am totally missing something here and feel lost and oblivious.

brevity
11-25-2017, 03:02 PM
I am totally missing something here and feel lost and oblivious.

In the past, the anti-Duke crowd/media took a fairly innocuous Crazie chant of "When's your bedtime?" to a boyish opposing player and heard it as "Where's your grandma?" because his grandmother had passed. That interpretation was a reach -- his grandmother's death was not even common knowledge -- but it stuck because Duke is such an easy target and Duke haters will believe anything.

Nothing good can come from the student section chanting "Tigger." Mishearing that as a racial slur is not particularly difficult. Wanting to mishear that as a racial slur in order to stick it to Duke is even easier.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 03:10 PM
In the past, the anti-Duke crowd/media took a fairly innocuous Crazie chant of "When's your bedtime?" to a boyish opposing player and heard it as "Where's your grandma?" because his grandmother had passed. That interpretation was a reach -- his grandmother's death was not even common knowledge -- but it stuck because Duke is such an easy target and Duke haters will believe anything.

Nothing good can come from the student section chanting "Tigger." Mishearing that as a racial slur is not particularly difficult. Wanting to mishear that as a racial slur in order to stick it to Duke is even easier.

Thanks for the explaination. It's good to know my cynicism at 56 years as not gotten bad enough to have even seen that.

Just to be clear, not calling y'all cynical. You are being realistic based on what you have previously seen.

weezie
11-25-2017, 04:41 PM
Oh please now. Time to watch some other team football. Then take a nap Sunday afternoon to get ready for the late game.

I'm happy for Javin so NEXT PLAY!