PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Furman (Mon, 11/20, 7pm, ACC Ntwk) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Devilwin
11-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Who is carrying the Furman game tomorrow?

DevilFalcon
11-19-2017, 05:10 PM
Not on Spectrum or WatchESPN.

Xtgdan
11-19-2017, 05:25 PM
It’s listed on the ACC channel on WatchESPN.

mgtr
11-19-2017, 05:29 PM
It is the same deal as, say, Elon was. It is called ACC Network Extra, which really means WatchESPN. If you look under NCAAM, upcoming, at 7PM on the 20th, Furman at Duke. So, if you could see Elon, then you should be good to go tomorrow.

Devilwin
11-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Good. I have that.
Thanks.

DevilFalcon
11-19-2017, 07:02 PM
It isn't showing on my upcoming list on WatchESPN. Hopefully it will reveal itself before tip.

dukefan_828
11-19-2017, 08:27 PM
This has gotta be one of the few seasons i can remember in the past 10 years where more than one maybe two duke games where not watchable on some television broadcast. Doesn't really bother us millennials w streaming abilities but i do feel bad for the older crowd like my dad who just can't or don't want to grasp the whole technology thing. The poor old man feels left out for christsakes.. not watching a DMBB game on the television cassette is simply un-amercian ... but seriously anyone know the deal on this?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-19-2017, 08:33 PM
This has gotta be one of the few seasons i can remember in the past 10 years where more than one maybe two duke games where not watchable on some television broadcast. Doesn't really bother us millennials w streaming abilities but i do feel bad for the older crowd like my dad who just can't or don't want to grasp the whole technology thing. The poor old man feels left out for christsakes.. not watching a DMBB game on the television cassette is simply un-amercian ... but seriously anyone know the deal on this?

My dad will also raise some heck.

dukefan_828
11-19-2017, 08:43 PM
My dad will also raise some heck.

lol yup im dreading the phone call tomorrow around 4:30 as he struggles to search for the game only to come up empty handed after 5 wrong spelling search attempts, then calling me to demand a f***** explanation for such an out cry, actually now that i think of it i'm kind of looking forward to it:o:cool:

Devilwin
11-19-2017, 08:52 PM
I checked earlier, and it was not on the WatchESPN game list. I checked again a few minutes ago, it's on there now.

BandAlum83
11-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Go Duke!!!

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2017, 09:20 AM
Looking into Furman's stats and two clear trends emerge: versatility and shooting.

So far on the young season,the Furman Paladins have gone 2-1 with a close win over Elon (76-67) and a loss to Butler (65-82). The Paladins do not employ a particularly tall team, featuring three players listed under 6 feet among their top 8 in the rotation. They do have experience, having won 23 games last season. Only 1 senior left the team and the 2017-18 edition features 3 seniors and 2 juniors in the starting lineup. This is a good team and should be a good test for Duke.

Versatility and Shooting
Everyone shoots and everyone passes the ball. Among their top 8 players, everyone takes shots from beyond the arc. That includes leading rebounder, 6'8" Matt Rafferty. The junior forward averages nearly a double-double so far at 10.3 pts, 9.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals a game for good measure. No other player averages more than 2.7 assists, so it's point guard by committee. And three players have averaged 5.3 3-point attempts per game so far, including leading scorer Devin Sibley. The senior Sibley is a darn good shooter, connecting on 56.3% of his three point attempts. That's not much of a fluke, either, as Sibley made almost 45% of his 3 point attempts last season when he won the Southern League Player of the Year award.

Keys to the Game
Look sharp
Rebounding long boards off of missed 3's
Play inside-out on offense

After a lackluster effort against Southern, Duke looks to come out sharp and play to their potential before the long flight and big lights of the PK80 invitational. Furman is going to jack up a ton of 3's in this game. Duke's guards will need to be prepared to gather long rebounds and to initiate transition offense. When Duke has the ball, expect the big men to go to work. Furman is not tall or particularly deep in the post. This is another game where Bagley III and Carter, Jr. will have a chance to achieve a double-double.

Troublemaker
11-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Furman's been consistently prone to turnovers over the years, with this season not being an exception. Let's see if our m2m can force 15+ from them.

uh_no
11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
Looking into Furman's stats and two clear trends emerge: versatility and shooting.

So far on the young season,the Furman Paladins have gone 2-1 with a close win over Elon (76-67) and a loss to Butler (65-82). The Paladins do not employ a particularly tall team, featuring three players listed under 6 feet among their top 8 in the rotation. They do have experience, having won 23 games last season. Only 1 senior left the team and the 2017-18 edition features 3 seniors and 2 juniors in the starting lineup. This is a good team and should be a good test for Duke.

Versatility and Shooting
Everyone shoots and everyone passes the ball. Among their top 8 players, everyone takes shots from beyond the arc. That includes leading rebounder, 6'8" Matt Rafferty. The junior forward averages nearly a double-double so far at 10.3 pts, 9.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals a game for good measure. No other player averages more than 2.7 assists, so it's point guard by committee. And three players have averaged 5.3 3-point attempts per game so far, including leading scorer Devin Sibley. The senior Sibley is a darn good shooter, connecting on 56.3% of his three point attempts. That's not much of a fluke, either, as Sibley made almost 45% of his 3 point attempts last season when he won the Southern League Player of the Year award.

Keys to the Game
Look sharp
Rebounding long boards off of missed 3's
Play inside-out on offense

After a lackluster effort against Southern, Duke looks to come out sharp and play to their potential before the long flight and big lights of the PK80 invitational. Furman is going to jack up a ton of 3's in this game. Duke's guards will need to be prepared to gather long rebounds and to initiate transition offense. When Duke has the ball, expect the big men to go to work. Furman is not tall or particularly deep in the post. This is another game where Bagley III and Carter, Jr. will have a chance to achieve a double-double.

Problem with this is against a short team, we have no reason to go back out once we've gone inside. carter and bagley are efficient enough in general, and against a short team that's not playing hack-a-whoever, should have no problem. I expect to see double doubles for both of them again tonight.

hopefully a few more shots fall and we don't get fouled 16 times in the first half.

chrishoke
11-20-2017, 09:40 AM
I'm taking my Furman grad son with me to the game tonight. Can't wait. We are also excited that the Furman football team made the FCS tournament announced yesterday and will play at Elon next Saturday. Go football Paladins! My son is also an Elon Law school grad. Makes for an interesting week.

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Problem with this is against a short team, we have no reason to go back out once we've gone inside. carter and bagley are efficient enough in general, and against a short team that's not playing hack-a-whoever, should have no problem. I expect to see double doubles for both of them again tonight.

hopefully a few more shots fall and we don't get fouled 16 times in the first half.

My statement about playing inside out wasn't meant to suggest that Duke should post up just to kick out to open shooters. Rather, establish the post. Then, as Furman adjusts to cut off interior scoring, allow the perimeter players to start contributing. If the interior scoring is available all night, then by all means keep feeding the post.

uh_no
11-20-2017, 10:36 AM
My statement about playing inside out wasn't meant to suggest that Duke should post up just to kick out to open shooters. Rather, establish the post. Then, as Furman adjusts to cut off interior scoring, allow the perimeter players to start contributing. If the interior scoring is available all night, then by all means keep feeding the post.

makes sense.

Duke already has one team that will pass the ball away from some of our most efficient players...we don't need another :P

English
11-20-2017, 02:23 PM
For the gambling inclined, it seems that Duke is now a 23-point favorite over the Paladins tonight, which is an appealing line coming off the less-than-stellar showing on Friday. My educated thought, from institutional knowledge and seeing the Southern post-game quotes from K and team, is that a message was sent and this will be an opportunity to show that the message has been received.

Furman may be a veteran squad, but the talent disparity will be stark, as will the size gap. Either way, I'm eager to see how the fellas respond in the wake of a letdown game on Friday, preceding a stretch of more high-profile, competitive PK80 games upcoming.

uh_no
11-20-2017, 02:36 PM
For the gambling inclined, it seems that Duke is now a 23-point favorite over the Paladins tonight, which is an appealing line coming off the less-than-stellar showing on Friday. My educated thought, from institutional knowledge and seeing the Southern post-game quotes from K and team, is that a message was sent and this will be an opportunity to show that the message has been received.

Furman may be a veteran squad, but the talent disparity will be stark, as will the size gap. Either way, I'm eager to see how the fellas respond in the wake of a letdown game on Friday, preceding a stretch of more high-profile, competitive PK80 games upcoming.

eh. I didn't read that so much as some others.

My interpretation is that
1) silly NCAA regulations put the team in a tough spot
2) the team didn't react as well to that situation as they should have

But to me, it was more of how you would address negatives of any game rather than we're going to run stairs for the next 5 hours kind of "message"

now if they came out tonight and looked the same, then I'd expect you'd see some extra wear on the steps in wally wade, metaphorically.

whereinthehellami
11-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Furman's been consistently prone to turnovers over the years, with this season not being an exception. Let's see if our m2m can force 15+ from them.

True enough, they are averaging more TO's than assists (13:14), that doesn't bode well for them. Their leading scorer, Sibley is averaging more TO's than assists (2.0:3.3), which as a 6-2 senior guard is not a good thing, considering the length of the Duke defenders.

Fun fact, Allen has made more 3's than Sibley has attempted (17:16).

Interesting Duke stats:

Carter has 13 blocks already, 3.3 a game
Duval has 12 steals, 3.0 a game
DeLaulier has more rebounds than points (24:17)
Bagley is winning the rebound race with Carter 37:36
Carter has more offensive rebounds than Vrank and Bolden have combined offensive/defensive rebounds (15:12)

uh_no
11-20-2017, 06:03 PM
fyi... game delayed until 715 due to fire alarm in Cameron.... will update if i find out why it went off.

DU82
11-20-2017, 06:08 PM
fyi... game delayed until 715 due to fire alarm in Cameron... will update if i find out why it went off.

The inferno from Chapel Hill finally reached Durham?

duke4ever19
11-20-2017, 06:29 PM

Chapel Hill . . . where the worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

-jk
11-20-2017, 06:32 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

brevity
11-20-2017, 06:49 PM

The ceiling is the roof, and the roof is on fire.

riverside6
11-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Furman, starters posted...

https://www.scacchoops.com/furman-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11202017

fuse
11-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Anyone else stuck at the event about to begin screen?

duke4ever19
11-20-2017, 07:06 PM

Someone said a fire alarm went off earlier, which delayed the start time to 7:15.

I have no verification for that other than that post, though. Meanwhile, enjoy the Wichita St. Cal game. It's a good one.

Bob Green
11-20-2017, 07:06 PM

See post #21.

MarkD83
11-20-2017, 07:07 PM
yes

i believe it is due to fire

uh_no
11-20-2017, 07:23 PM
smoking in the bathroom

WiJoe
11-20-2017, 07:25 PM
anyone having problems getting game on watchespn.com?

-jk
11-20-2017, 07:27 PM
anyone having problems getting game on watchespn.com?

Working well for me (Apple TV and Comcast on a wired connection)

-jk

wgl1228
11-20-2017, 07:37 PM
It's coming on a decade now that I've been saying we have to play zone.

MChambers
11-20-2017, 07:38 PM
It's coming on a decade now that I've been saying we have to play zone.

Did you say it in 2010? :-)

rsvman
11-20-2017, 07:39 PM
smoking in the bathroom

I thunk the quote is "smokin in the boys room."

'Cause everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school. ;-)

pfrduke
11-20-2017, 07:46 PM
Every half-court possession on offense, the ball needs to go to the post. Every single time. Furman can't really stop us down there. We're doing a good job letting the big guys eat.

BigZ
11-20-2017, 07:53 PM
These Freshmen are the best Duke has ever had

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2017, 07:54 PM

Sure seems like it. Bagley, Duval, and Carter all can score pretty much whenever they want.

Still sad we never saw 100% Giles.

AGDukesky
11-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Hope Allen finds his stroke again before Portland

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Bolden has looked great in the first half today. A lot more active and bouncy. Sure can move his feet well for a 7' guy.

pfrduke
11-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Great minutes from Bolden in the first half. Like his energy.

wavedukefan70s
11-20-2017, 08:07 PM
yes he did.thanks for the heads up on espn watch guys /girls.

ncexnyc
11-20-2017, 08:07 PM
Sitting at 49 points, after what looked like an ugly first half, not bad.

flyingdutchdevil
11-20-2017, 08:09 PM

Couldn’t agree more. With an active Bolden, good luck opposing frontlines. Bagley, carter, delaurier, Bolden... oh my lordy

MChambers

Loved his efforts on the perimeter. Really moving his feet.

Troublemaker

gotta go with Okafor-TJones-Winslow-Allen personally, but these guys are really good, too

DavidBenAkiva
11-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Love that Bolden is acting more like he realizes that he is a huge human being with very long arms.

whereinthehellami
11-20-2017, 08:24 PM
gotta go with Okafor-TJones-Winslow-Allen personally, but these guys are really good, too

I kinda of agree but we are only 4 games in. The potential for these freshmen is pretty dang high. It'll be a fun ride to find out!

BigZ
11-20-2017, 08:28 PM

This group plays much better defense. Winslow was the only good defender of the 2015 class and Allen didn't really play much (he saved it for the chip)

WHOneedsSOX
11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
This group plays much better defense. Winslow was the only good defender of the 2015 class and Allen didn't really play much (he saved it for the chip)

I suppose this year's freshmen defense is better but the team defense that year was better. No Cook or Jones on this team. The perimeter defense if this team so far doesn't look very good. Way too easy drives for the other team.

flyingdutchdevil
11-20-2017, 08:31 PM

With regards to efficiency, yes. But a joy to watch? Not even close. These alarmingly athletic devils are frightening.

BigZ
11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
I suppose this year's freshmen defense is better but the team defense that year was better. No Cook or Jones on this team. The perimeter defense if this team so far doesn't look very good. Way too easy drives for the other team.

This team plays much better interior defense and a lot better rebounding.

rsvman
11-20-2017, 08:38 PM
Too soon to anoint them, imo. But they are very talented.

curtis325
11-20-2017, 08:49 PM
He seems to be serviceable, which is all he need to be this season.

BigZ
11-20-2017, 08:52 PM
O'Connell will be the next hated Duke player

flyingdutchdevil
11-20-2017, 08:57 PM
O'Connell will be the next hated Duke player

Lol. I was thinking the same thing. Where’s Dana O’Neill at?

Troublemaker
11-20-2017, 09:11 PM

Not yet.

With regards to efficiency, yes. But a joy to watch? Not even close. These alarmingly athletic devils are frightening.

To each his own. I enjoyed and enjoy both tremendously.