PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke 31, Wake Forest 23 (Bowl Eligible!!!!)

awhom111
11-18-2017, 07:17 PM
Currently we only have the list of stations carrying the game:
http://www.theacc.com/sports/2017/11/13/rsn-football-171125.aspx

The blackout map and ESPN College Extra information will be available later in the week. The blackout area should be similar to the one for the Georgia Tech game.

TKG
11-18-2017, 07:25 PM
The Wake game is our bowl game. That is the mindset.

killerleft
11-18-2017, 09:50 PM
The Wake game is our bowl game. That is the mindset.

The Wake game is the first of two bowl games.:) Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
11-18-2017, 10:01 PM
This season has been the best of times, the worst of times — yet we have a single game and a Bowl game as the prize.

We win out six or we do not. The guys know what needs to happen. Make it so.

LGD!!!!

Devilwin
11-19-2017, 05:21 AM
We can win this one too. But as the wife reminded me last night, seems like every time we play them, we get jobbed by the refs (and she's right). Just get ready boys, and go get that bowl game!

TKG
11-19-2017, 12:05 PM
We can win this one too. But as the wife reminded me last night, seems like every time we play them, we get jobbed by the refs (and she's right). Just get ready boys, and go get that bowl game!

We can but it will be a tall task. Wake is good; much better than Tech and better coached. Wake beat State last night without their best defensive player (Ejiofor). Wolford is a senior and a good QB, he will test our defensive backfield. We will need a complete 60 minutes of mistake free (physical and mental) football.

sagegrouse
11-19-2017, 12:14 PM
We can but it will be a tall task. Wake is good; much better than Tech and better coached. Wake beat State last night without their best defensive player (Ejiofor). Wolford is a senior and a good QB, he will test our defensive backfield. We will need a complete 60 minutes of mistake free (physical and mental) football.

Wake beat State after State fumbled when a receiver pushed the ball towards the goal line, which would have given the Pack the lead and likely the game. And even without the score on the play, it would have been first down ont he one-yard line. Bad luck for State due to an error by a freshman.

PackMan97
11-19-2017, 03:39 PM
Wake beat State after State fumbled when a receiver pushed the ball towards the goal line, which would have given the Pack the lead and likely the game. And even without the score on the play, it would have been first down ont he one-yard line. Bad luck for State due to an error by a freshman.

My only comment is to make sure you have goal line cameras for your game. I haven't seen the play in question, but from what I hear it was very close and the play was not reviewable due to lack of a goalline camera.

DU82
11-19-2017, 04:25 PM
My only comment is to make sure you have goal line cameras for your game. I haven't seen the play in question, but from what I hear it was very close and the play was not reviewable due to lack of a goalline camera.

I don't understand why this isn't the standard. I know they make cameras they put in the pylon, can't all Power 5 teams afford this?

(Watching the replays, I thought from the angles shown that the player was clearly not across the goal line, and the ball wasn't either although it was close.)

sagegrouse
11-19-2017, 04:31 PM

Yes, the "goal line" camera was at angle, so there was no definitive answer.

CameronBlue
11-19-2017, 05:05 PM
As an old country Baptist preacher once told me "you can't kill a snake with two feet in the bucket." Wise beyond his years.

GO DUKE!!

Reilly
11-19-2017, 08:29 PM
We're 12.5 point underdogs. Yikes. We need to win the kicking game.

Better than the 14 (South Carolina) or 16 (UNC) spreads ...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/lines

dukelifer
11-19-2017, 09:52 PM
We're 12.5 point underdogs. Yikes. We need to win the kicking game.

Better than the 14 (South Carolina) or 16 (UNC) spreads ...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/lines

Wake is a very good team. It will take a monumental effort. Duke will need to treat it as a bowl game and try a bit of everything.

Reilly
11-20-2017, 03:30 AM
Can our #32 defense stop WFU's #14 offense ?

Per SRS, #18 WFU (#14 offense; #38 defense) is 7.34 pts better than Duke on neutral field (10.34 w/ 3 for home; line opened 12.5) ... have beaten three teams better than #48 Duke in #32 BC, #31 Lville, and #22 NCSU ... worse loss is to #40 FSU ... beat #90 AppSt by 1 ...

+44 Presby
+36 UtSt (#71)
+24 @BC (#32)
+21 @Syr (#54)
+10 Lville (#31)
+06 NCSU (#22)
+01 @AppSt (#90)
-------------------------------
-07 FSU (#40)
-11 @ND (#2)
-14 @GT (#33)
-14 @CU (#8)

#48 Duke (#81 offense; #32 defense) has lost to 5 teams worse than #18 WFU by losing to #21, #40, #63, #65, and #75. We did beat #23 NU. Can our O do anything against WFU's D? NU had the #17 defense.

+53 nccu
+24 nu (#23)
+23 gt (#33)
+14 bay (#97)
+10 @unc (#77)
---------------------------------
-05 @army (#65)
-07 pitt (#75)
-07 @uva (#63)
-07 fsu (#40)
-21 @vt (#21)
-25 mia (#5)

Common opponents: we both lost to fsu by 7 at home ... we beat gt by 23 at our home while wfu lost to gt by 14 at gt

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

Reilly
11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
WFU's assistants include Brad Sherrod (Duke '93) and Wayne Lineburg (who had to step in as interim Univ of Richmond head coach in 2011 just before the season opener ... and beat Duke):

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/wake-m-footbl-mtt.html#coaches

devildeac
11-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Page 2? Really, Reilly?

Any update on McDuffie's (?) injury? Didn't look promising when he was helped off the field, appearing unable to put weight on one leg. :(

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
Page 2? Really, Reilly?

Any update on McDuffie's (?) injury? Didn't look promising when he was helped off the field, appearing unable to put weight on one leg. :(

He's done for Wake. (And the bowl game.) :(

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/knee-injury-sidelines-duke-safety-mcduffie-for-remainder-of-season/17131612/

devildeac
11-21-2017, 12:28 PM
He's done for Wake. (And the bowl game.) :(

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/knee-injury-sidelines-duke-safety-mcduffie-for-remainder-of-season/17131612/

Good find. Thanks. Didn't think it looked good on Saturday. :(

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-21-2017, 12:49 PM
Saturday's biggest challenge for our offense may lie in how much Wake uses a perimeter blitz..... our OL has not yet learned how to swing coverage to combat this type of blitz. I'm not being pessimistic, just recognizing what may have to be addressed to keep the offense rolling into the end zone. ;)

Bob Green
11-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Saturday's biggest challenge for our offense may lie in how much Wake uses a perimeter blitz....

Another reason to run the ball...an effective play against the blitz is the delayed run or draw play. The runner goes through the gap vacated by the blitzing defender.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Another reason to run the ball...an effective play against the blitz is the delayed run or draw play. The runner goes through the gap vacated by the blitzing defender.

Never knew a Navy man would be so big on the ground assault. ;-)

But exactly right. Unfortunately, quick dump passes to the sides also slows down the blitz.

devildeac
11-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Never knew a Navy man would be so big on the ground assault. ;-)

But exactly right. Unfortunately, quick dump passes to the sides also slows down the blitz.

Please don't get Bob started on the aerial attack...

:o;)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Please don't get Bob started on the aerial attack...

:o;)

If only Daniel Jones was amphibious. . . .

TKG
11-21-2017, 08:34 PM
If only Daniel Jones was amphibious. . . .

Is that you Cozell?

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Is that you Cozell?

No, that would be comparing him to a diminutive simian of some sort and then commenting on his ambulatory prowess.

And that would be wrong.

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 08:54 PM
No, that would be comparing him to a diminutive simian of some sort and then commenting on his ambulatory prowess.

And that would be wrong.

TKG was kind enough to PM me, letting me know that I was confusing his comment on Cozell McQueen with my assumption that he was talking about Howard Cosell. As such, my post makes no sense.

Not that such a result is unusual, of course.

CameronBornAndBred
11-21-2017, 11:58 PM
TKG was kind enough to PM me, letting me know that I was confusing his comment on Cozell McQueen with my assumption that he was talking about Howard Cosell. As such, my post makes no sense.

Not that such a result is unusual, of course.
I was too mesmerized by your new avatar to read your gibberish.

awhom111
11-22-2017, 12:58 AM
We have a blackout map:
http://a.espncdn.com/espn3/images/2010/blackout/3229727.jpg

Here are your options based on location:

Black:
-On TV on station listed in link in opening post
-Online through service provided by station listed in link in opening post (may need to be in-market subscriber)

Green:
-On TV on station listed in link in opening post
-On TV via ESPN College Extra if your provider carries it (channel assignments later this week)
-Online through service provided by station listed in link in opening post (may need to be in-market subscriber)
-Online via WatchESPN

budwom
11-22-2017, 08:14 AM
Is that you Cozell?

Bad memory. It wasn't Cozell (pretty smart guy) it was Shackleford who was ambiguously amphibious

Bob Green
11-22-2017, 04:37 PM
The over/under is set at 58 points which equates to a score of Wake 35, Duke 23. My optimism meter has been re-calibrated so I am predicting:

Duke 34
Wake 28

We will have to play as good or better than we did against GT, but I am confident the young men will get it done. :cool: It is time to get bowl eligible.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 04:52 PM
The over/under is set at 58 points which equates to a score of Wake 35, Duke 23. My optimism meter has been re-calibrated so I am predicting:

Duke 34
Wake 28

We will have to play as good or better than we did against GT, but I am confident the young men will get it done. :cool: It is time to get bowl eligible.

Sign me up for this. No backing into a bowl as a 5-7 filler (maybe). Beat Wake, and we swept the NC teams we played this year. (Good year not to have State, although watch them crumble Saturday unfortunately)

devildeac
11-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Sign me up for this. No backing into a bowl as a 5-7 filler (maybe). Beat Wake, and we swept the NC teams we played this year. (Good year not to have State, although watch them crumble Saturday unfortunately)

The Raleigh News and Observer mentioned earlier this week that if we beat WFU, we'll "tie" for the unofficial state championship. If...

I hope Bob's optimism meter has been properly calibrated. ;)

OZ
11-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Bad memory. It wasn't Cozell (pretty smart guy) it was Shackleford who was ambiguously amphibious

You are correct!

"After an ACC tournament win over Clemson in 1988, Shackleford carved his own spot in malaprop lore when he confused the words “amphibious” and “ambidextrous.”
Shackleford had 26 points and seven rebounds in the 77-72 tournament win but all most Triangle fans remember is what he said after the game. “I can shoot with both hands,” Shackleford said, “I’m amphibious.”
The News & Observer archives 1988.

OZ
11-22-2017, 07:47 PM
Saturday's biggest challenge for our offense may lie in how much Wake uses a perimeter blitz... our OL has not yet learned how to swing coverage to combat this type of blitz. I'm not being pessimistic, just recognizing what may have to be addressed to keep the offense rolling into the end zone. ;)

...and the biggest challenge to our defense... passing. With the bye, we haven't played or practiced anything but the run for three weeks. That will change Saturday.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 07:50 PM
...and the biggest challenge to our defense... passing. With the bye, we haven't played or practiced anything but the run for three weeks. That will change Saturday.

True. But defense has not been our biggest struggle it seems to me.

How is Wake’s run defense, and are we willing to call the runs in a Bob Green-pleasing way?

Tripping William
11-22-2017, 08:25 PM
The family & I will be at BB&T Field for the festivities. I have a good feeling about this. If only there were some good pre-game lubricants. Ymmm, Beer.

devildeac
11-22-2017, 10:08 PM
The family & I will be at BB&T Field for the festivities. I have a good feeling about this. If only there were some good pre-game lubricants. Ymmm, Beer.

I'm confident Stella can help you with that dilemma. Or Lowe's. Or Harris Teeter. Or Foothills...

;)

Reilly
11-22-2017, 10:35 PM
You are correct!

"After an ACC tournament win over Clemson in 1988, Shackleford carved his own spot in malaprop lore when he confused the words “amphibious” and “ambidextrous.”
Shackleford had 26 points and seven rebounds in the 77-72 tournament win but all most Triangle fans remember is what he said after the game. “I can shoot with both hands,” Shackleford said, “I’m amphibious.”
The News & Observer archives 1988.

In the 50 days leading up to the 30th anniversary of this quote next spring, we should have a DBR thread on the 30 (or 50) greatest quotes in ACC history.

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 10:37 PM
In the 50 days leading up to the 30th anniversary of this quote next spring, we should have a DBR thread on the 30 (or 50) greatest quotes in ACC history.

Thanks for reminding me my 30th graduation anniversary is nigh.

Reilly
11-22-2017, 10:41 PM

Tis but a moment ...

OldPhiKap
11-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Tis but a moment ...

If only I could remember it . . . .

awhom111
11-23-2017, 12:49 AM
ESPN College Extra channel assignments are available now (again, only for those outside the blackout zone):
DirecTV 789
AT&T U-Verse 615
Verizon FIOS 822
Spectrum Cable customers should check local listings

Reilly
11-23-2017, 03:49 AM
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

Bob Green
11-23-2017, 05:50 AM
HAPPY THANKSGIVING! :D

How is Wake’s run defense, and are we willing to call the runs in a Bob Green-pleasing way?

Wake Forest defense gives up 444.1 yards per game: 200.3 on the ground and 244.1 through the air. They are 14th in the ACC in Total Defense and 9th in Scoring Defense at 25.9 points per game. They have seven wins and are 4-3 in the ACC because they score 34.6 points per game, which is 3rd in the ACC.

In Wake's last loss, 48-37 to Notre Dame, the Irish rushed 46 times for 380 yards and passed for 330 more. Georgia Tech rushed 66 times for 427 yards; Clemson 48 for 190; FSU 43 for 149.

Duke is going to have to score points to beat Wake Forest.

The offensive strength is running the football with Wilson, Brown and Jones; however, as I've stated multiple times, the offense is best when it is balanced so the passing game is going to have to contribute. Yes, I strongly believe we should run more than we pass but we still have to successfully pass the ball to win.

Against Georgia Tech, Duke rushed 51 times and passed 28 times. That is almost two rushes per pass attempt. I hope we see a similar ratio on Saturday.

budwom
11-23-2017, 08:42 AM
^good one, Bob. Yup, run the ball, control the clock, keep Wake's offense off the field.

jv001
11-23-2017, 10:01 AM

30 years, OPK you are still young. I tell myself every day that I'm blessed to be on the right side of the dirt. God bless and Happy Thanksgiving!
GoDuke!:cool::cool::cool:

Reilly
11-25-2017, 12:01 AM
Gameday Saturday. Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 05:52 AM
Duke will be down two defensive starters today with neither Jeremy McDuffie nor Ben Humphreys available to play. Uniform combination is Gray/White/Blue:

Reilly
11-25-2017, 08:51 AM
de facto state championship: http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke-wake-forest-meet-with-strong-postseason-implications/17138301/

chrishoke
11-25-2017, 09:53 AM
Perfect football weather today. We must score 30 to have a chance. Let's go Devils!

Dukehky
11-25-2017, 12:58 PM
It would be super if a wide receiver caught a pass. Like, that would really help the situation.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-25-2017, 01:03 PM
It would be super if a wide receiver caught a pass. Like, that would really help the situation.

These are the worst receivers in Cut's tenure at Duke.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-25-2017, 01:11 PM

Also the worst red zone offense. I miss Thomas Sirk and Connette.

Dukehky
11-25-2017, 01:28 PM
I don't have much nice to say about TJ Rahming. He just can't make a good decision out there on punt returns this year.

arnie
11-25-2017, 01:51 PM
I don't have much nice to say about TJ Rahming. He just can't make a good decision out there on punt returns this year.
Yea on the last one took the easy run out of bounds rather than cut upfield. Punt returns aren’t in his DNA.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 01:54 PM

On the one that was downed at the 1 yard line, he watched as a deacon downed it. Couldn't he have cut off the angle at least and blocked the guy from the ball to hope it rolled into the end zone. I mean try at least.

fisheyes
11-25-2017, 01:59 PM
I just don't get it. RUN THE BALL!

Dukehky
11-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Jones gets so much stuff knocked down. What an atrocious play all around. Just run the freaking ball. I don't think Zac Roper is good at his job. Just one man's opinion.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Jones gets so much stuff knocked down. What an atrocious play all around. Just run the freaking ball. I don't think Zac Roper is good at his job. Just one man's opinion.

Regardless, somehow we are still in this game.

Dukehky
11-25-2017, 02:03 PM
Mark Gilbert is going to be simultaneous possessioned twice is one season, which is incredible.

Papa John
11-25-2017, 02:05 PM

Yeah... You've got 2:30 on the clock, you're on the 20, and you just put their D on their heels on the last drive by throwing... It was prime time to go to the power running game right there, to both burn clock and take advantage of that softened D... Very, very poor play call on Roper's part—no other way to describe it... It ought to be tied 17-17 at the half—he just threw away a major opportunity there, and you simply cannot do that if you want to win football games against good teams.

devilsadvocate85
11-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Yeah... You've got 2:30 on the clock, you're on the 20, and you just put their D on their heels on the last drive by throwing... It was prime time to go to the power running game right there, to both burn clock and take advantage of that softened D... Very, very poor play call on Roper's part—no other way to describe it... It ought to be tied 17-17 at the half—he just threw away a major opportunity there, and you simply cannot do that if you want to win football games against good teams.

In stadium replay showed Jones down on his back flipping the ball up as if to give it to an official. Did anyone see that on TV?

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:14 PM
According to xfinity stats, Duke 28 pass plays, 18 run plays.

The run hasn't been very effective, it seems. But the passing game doesn't seem to be doing anything to open up the run game.

I hope we can figure this out during the half. We have a legitimate shot to win this game.

CameronBlue
11-25-2017, 02:14 PM
Duke Football tests your character. Usually about half way through the 2nd quarter I've depleted my lexicon of 4-letter words.

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Jones is 15/28 for 181 with 1 TD and 2 interceptions but somehow we are still in the game at halftime. Halftime adjustments are going to be key. The offense HAS to play better in the 2nd half.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:22 PM
We really need to flip the field in the second half. We are getting killed in the punting game.

Papa John
11-25-2017, 02:27 PM
In stadium replay showed Jones down on his back flipping the ball up as if to give it to an official. Did anyone see that on TV?

No... The replay showed Jones jump up to try and catch it, but he and the D-lineman both had their hands on it as he came down on his back. The ball then fell into his gut, but Jones never truly gained possession, so when the Wake lineman yanked it out it was a live ball. Bottom line, it was just a putrid play call given the circumstances. You run the zone read there and take advantage of the fact that Wake's D is likely on their heels because you literally just shredded them from that formation moments ago. Giving it to one of your solid RBs in that situation likely results in at least a 5-yard gain, burns some clock, and gives Wake even more to think about for the 2nd down play call. Our offense had literally every conceivable advantage it could have in that situation, and Roper just flushed it all down the toilet with a truly putrid play call.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:40 PM
No... The replay showed Jones jump up to try and catch it, but he and the D-lineman both had their hands on it as he came down on his back. The ball then fell into his gut, but Jones never truly gained possession, so when the Wake lineman yanked it out it was a live ball. Bottom line, it was just a putrid play call given the circumstances. You run the zone read there and take advantage of the fact that Wake's D is likely on their heels because you literally just shredded them from that formation moments ago. Giving it to one of your solid RBs in that situation likely results in at least a 5-yard gain, burns some clock, and gives Wake even more to think about for the 2nd down play call. Our offense had literally every conceivable advantage it could have in that situation, and Roper just flushed it all down the toilet with a truly putrid play call.

Completely agree. Gotta just power it, burn clock and come away with at least 3. Especially with wake getting the ball to start the second half.

At least Rahming finally gets a good punt return at the beginning of the second half. As I said, we gotta flip this field this half.

davekay1971
11-25-2017, 02:43 PM
Duke Football tests your character. Usually about half way through the 2nd quarter I've depleted my lexicon of 4-letter words.

I am told by my wife that this is the essence of being a NCSU fan. Apparently it's good for us. Otherwise we'd be excessively spoiled by Duke Basketball.

killerleft
11-25-2017, 02:47 PM
Running average extremely poor until the last drive.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 02:53 PM
Running average extremely poor until the last drive.

We can win this game. The running in the red zone is what we should have seen at the end of the first half.

The defense has really stepped up other than that terrible mix up for the second WF touchdown.

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 03:01 PM
What a huge sack by Saxtin on 3rd and short to limit WF to a field goal. If we can scor on this drive we will definitely make a statement and hold on to the momentum.

Every play is big now, and our running game seems to be waking up!

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 03:12 PM
We've got the lead and a football game in the fourth quarter. If you are just checking in on the boards, you might want to tune in the TV for the end of this one.

Wake's last 2 possessions effectively ended by sacks, Duke's running game waking up just enough. Now let's burn a ton of clock and get in the end zone!

uh_no
11-25-2017, 03:23 PM
We've got the lead and a football game in the fourth quarter. If you are just checking in on the boards, you might want to tune in the TV for the end of this one.

Wake's last 2 possessions effectively ended by sacks, Duke's running game waking up just enough. Now let's burn a ton of clock and get in the end zone!

got back from my bike ride and turned it on....duke immediately scored to go ahead :)

LGD

Green Wave Dukie
11-25-2017, 03:26 PM

Driving back home from IL and enjoying switching between the score updates on ESPN and this thread for color commentary. Appreciate it BandAlum.

LGD

arnie
11-25-2017, 03:33 PM
We can win this game. The running in the red zone is what we should have seen at the end of the first half.

The defense has really stepped up other than that terrible mix up for the second WF touchdown.

Watching sporadically - we have a chance😀

killerleft
11-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Proud of the Duke support in the stands. Quite a few of us here!

gray
11-25-2017, 03:36 PM
If we can get any more points on the board here, or just get a couple more first downs, we've got it. We need to go all out for the last 4:47.

djp10
11-25-2017, 03:43 PM
special teams is so bad

uh_no
11-25-2017, 03:45 PM
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-college-football-predictions/

I think that number is about 100% right now

WOOOOO

Green Wave Dukie
11-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Oh baby

Duke79UNLV77
11-25-2017, 03:46 PM
Beautiful pick!

dukelifer
Wow. That was impressive!

Native
Yesss!

Dukehky
OH MY GOD I TAKE IT ALL BACK!!!!!

Mark Gilbert is a professional cornerback and has been awesome all year. Hot damn!

uh_no
11-25-2017, 03:47 PM
giddyup boys. hell of a year!

Amazing turnaround for this team.

DukieInKansas
11-25-2017, 03:48 PM
I like this type of ending - running out the clock.

killerleft
11-25-2017, 03:49 PM
Yip!

dukelifer
11-25-2017, 03:50 PM
Started great and ended great

Papa John
11-25-2017, 03:51 PM
Pull out your bowlin' shoes, y'all!

Outstanding job today!

TKG
11-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Daaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Never thought they would pull this off.

I like Texas Pete with my crow!

uh_no
11-25-2017, 03:52 PM
Pull out your bowlin' shoes, y'all!

Outstanding job today!

norm isn't the only duke bowling this year!

YmoBeThere
11-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Wow, I've been watching since we were down 17-3. I didn't think we would see this. My fault for doubting Coach Cut.

fidel
11-25-2017, 03:54 PM
Uh...yeah!!! Great game by the Devils!

DukeDevil
11-25-2017, 03:55 PM
Daaaaaaammmmmmmmnnnnnnn.

Never thought they would pull this off.

I like Texas Pete with my crow!

Which is appropriately made in Winston Salem!

uh_no
11-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Which is appropriately made in Winston Salem!

really?

excuse me....brb.

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 04:00 PM
Unconventional path...

4-0
0-6
2-0

But the end result is bowl game eligibility! :cool:;):cool:

SCMatt33
Wow, I've been watching since we were down 17-3. I didn't think we would see this. My fault for doubting Coach Cut.

You gotta give him a ton of credit for staying agressive on some of those fourth downs late. He's normally pretty conservative, but this fourth down conversions really helped put it away. Also a great job handing the last three plays as it can be really easy to mess that up when you need to take 1:30 off in two plays. Think about Michigan Michigan State from a few years ago. They weren't at the point of taking knees, but ensuring Duke didn't need to snap on fourth was a big deal

ehdg
So proud of the way this team closed out the season against G tech and Wake today!! Defense came to play as usual and we picked it up offensively in the 2nd half for two weeks in a row!! Jones made some really good throw and Rahming made one hell of a catch for us as did Taylor. Wilson played really well again to close out his senior season. Kwanzi (?) came on so well in replace of Humphries for us and really helped Giles Harris. Also Carter came up nice today filling in of McDuffie and another good game by Gilbert for us in coverage!! So very proud of what this team did with their backs against the wall to get us bowl eligible and battling back from from that 6 game losing streak. They never quit on Coach Cut and kept fighting and battling for him. Way to go Duke!! Bowl here we come!!

Olympic Fan
11-25-2017, 04:01 PM
Okay, allow me to be the first to speculate ...

we're going to be in a bottom tier ACC bowl -- that means Military Bowl, Quick Lane Bowl or Independence Bowl.

I don't think it will be the Military Bowl. My understand is that Army is already committed as the host team there and while I'd love another shot at the Cadets, I doubt the bowl will set that up.

That means Quick Lane --Dec. 26 in Ford Field Detroit against a Big Ten team -- or Independence -- Dec. 27 in Shreveport, La., against an SEC team.

sagegrouse
11-25-2017, 04:02 PM

Also the worst red zone offense. I miss Thomas Sirk and Connette.

On the one that was downed at the 1 yard line, he watched as a deacon downed it. Couldn't he have cut off the angle at least and blocked the guy from the ball to hope it rolled into the end zone. I mean try at least.

I just don't get it. RUN THE BALL!

Satisfied with the play in the second half?

Native
11-25-2017, 04:02 PM
We must score 30 to have a chance.

Can't spork you, but good call.

Reilly
11-25-2017, 04:05 PM
... My understand is that Army is already committed as the host team there and while I'd love another shot at the Cadets, I doubt the bowl will set that up.

That means Quick Lane --Dec. 26 in Ford Field Detroit against a Big Ten team -- or Independence -- Dec. 27 in Shreveport, La., against an SEC team.

I thought Army is locked into Ft Worth bowl before Xmas?

Ah, I see the confusion ... Army is in Texas for the Armed Forces Bowl and the ACC one is called the Military Bowl (in the Annapolis).

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 04:06 PM
I don't think it will be the Military Bowl. My understand is that Army is already committed as the host team there and while I'd love another shot at the Cadets, I doubt the bowl will set that up.

Army will not be the host team at the Military Bowl. They have already accepted a bid to the Lockheed-Martin Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas.

Olympic Fan
11-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Army will not be the host team at the Military Bowl. They have already accepted a bid to the Lockheed-Martin Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth, Texas.

My bad ... in that case, add the Military Bowl to the Quick Lane and Independence Bowl as a possible destination.

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 04:15 PM
My bad ... in that case, add the Military Bowl to the Quick Lane and Independence Bowl as a possible destination.

Absolutely, it will be one of those three! I'm hoping for the Military Bowl in Annapolis. :cool:

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 04:20 PM

Absolutely! I never gave up, but I still do wonder about this: On the one that was downed at the 1 yard line, he watched as a deacon downed it. Couldn't he have cut off the angle at least and blocked the guy from the ball to hope it rolled into the end zone.

What are the rules around him. Locking out a player to prevent him from downing the ball?

The same way a basketball player or soccer player blocks out an opposing player as he tries to save the ball from going out of bounds.

cato
11-25-2017, 04:26 PM

Duke 34
Wake 28

Pretty. Well. Done.

ipatent
11-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Great win over a good team on the road. Making a bowl should help recruiting.

Bob Green
11-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Pretty. Well. Done.

Thank you!

dukefan_828
11-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Ramming is not a good #1 option... how does he drop the beautifully thrown deep ball by DJ out of the wake end zone?? PERFECT PASS!!!

BandAlum83
11-25-2017, 04:29 PM
The 3 (3!) 4th down conversions down the stretch were huge...........HUGE!!!

sagegrouse
11-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Ramming is not a good #1 option... how does he drop the beautifully thrown deep ball by DJ out of the wake end zone?? PERFECT PASS!!!

Thes reads like one of the President's haikus.... Are you auditioning?

chrishoke
11-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Absolutely, it will be one of those three! I'm hoping for the Military Bowl in Annapolis. :cool:

Agreed. That would be sweet.

dukefan_828
11-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Thes reads like one of the President's haikus... Are you auditioning?

I've been compared to the president, that must mean i've done something right!:rolleyes::rolleyes: GO DUKE!!!

Dukehky
11-25-2017, 05:26 PM

I mean, it worked out, but no. The last two games haven't convinced me that our Special Teams or Offensive Coordinators should be the same next year as they are now.

That being said, relieved and excited that this team made a bowl game after the dumpster fire that was the middle 6 weeks of the season. Hopefully this helps recruiting and our next season. We're gonna have to beef up and be ready for the start of 2019 season, I don't want to get beat by 65 by Alabama on opening night...

That's pretty far ahead, but thats kind of the reason for bowl games, to help you moving forward, since the game itself is kind of meaningless. Not meaningless for the coaches, players, or recruits, you know what I mean though.

Faison1
11-25-2017, 05:29 PM
So Psyched!!!

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

This team really salvaged a bad situation. Nice recovery, Guys!! Very proud of you!

fisheyes
11-25-2017, 05:32 PM

Heck yes!

But to be fair, I stand by my comment which was referring to the play at the end of the first half where they had the interception and just over 2 minutes on the clock from the Wake 20ish. Should have run there.

But...GO DUKE!!!

dukefan_828
11-25-2017, 05:55 PM
It defiantly had it's ups and downs but this team showed heart to put two W's in the score column to end the season after falling short 6 straight weeks of either last drive heart breaks or blowouts!! Major achievement for the program to rally for two consecutive wins as underdogs to end the regular season now we get extra practice, exposure and something to build on for next year by earning the bowl bid.

DJ caught fire in the second alongside a steady running game and the solid defensive play we've gotten accustom to!! Lets hope our receiving core can use the extra reps to improve their ability to haul in contested but catch-able passes and add some more hardware to the duke football trophy case!!!

What a halftime call by coach cut... Duke Football, Hell Yeah Duke Football!!!

Tripping William
11-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Back from the BB&T festivities. What a great time. Lots of Blue Devils in the building. We were right behind the Duke bench, at about the 40 yard line on the north side. Cut was super-active all game. The D really, really got after it in the second half, and especially in the fourth quarter. Holding the Deacs to field goals turned out to be YUGE. And the O — behind those fourth down calls — did just enough to win. Really pleased with the persistence and determination these guys showed today. Fun to watch.

chrishoke
11-25-2017, 06:09 PM
It defiantly had it's ups and downs but this team showed heart to put two W's in the score column to end the season after falling short 6 straight weeks of either last drive heart breaks or blowouts!! Major achievement for the program to rally for two consecutive wins as underdogs to end the regular season now we get extra practice, exposure and something to build on for next year by earning the bowl bid.

DJ caught fire in the second alongside a steady running game and the solid defensive play we've gotten accustom to!! Lets hope our receiving core can use the extra reps to improve their ability to haul in contested but catch-able passes and add some more hardware to the duke football trophy case!!!

What a halftime call by coach cut... Duke Football, Hell Yeah Duke Football!!!

Amazing halftime call by Cut, he was so sure of a complete turnaround and was obviously right. I'M STILL CELEBRATING! :D:D:D

killerleft
11-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Can't spork you, but good call.

Fair call, Only needed 24. Minor point, though.:)

coachbrent
11-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Aren't we "state champions" as well. Big 4 records head to head.
Duke 2-0
Wake 1-1
NCSU 1-1
Cheats 0-2

uh_no
11-25-2017, 09:35 PM
Aren't we "state champions" as well. Big 4 records head to head.
Duke 2-0
Wake 1-1
NCSU 1-1
Cheats 0-2

yessir!

unfortunately there are no NCSU "Our State" billboards on 147 on the way into Durham this time around :D

TNTDevil
11-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Unconventional path...

4-0
0-6
2-0

But the end result is bowl game eligibility! :cool:;):cool:I was watching the replay of the Georgia Tech game and they had a stat that showed Duke had not won another ACC game after beating UNc ever since we moved the game forward in the schedule. Of course, the Tech game's outcome began to balance that stat. Today will help as well.

peloton
11-25-2017, 09:48 PM
Wow...what a game. I haven't read all the messages in this thread so I'll probably be simply regurgitating what everyone else has already said. I don't care though - I'm currently inhabiting cloud nine and will probably be here for awhile. I had the immense pleasure of being in Winston-Salem today with my 2 sons and one of my brothers for an impressive display of determination by the guys from Durham. I'm almost as much an optimist as Ozzie, but the way we played early on today, I was thinking this could get pretty ugly in a hurry. While our defense has been prone to give up big plays this year, they once again though set the tone for the team and as the game went on they only raised their level of play.

I could go on but there's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. It's really gratifying to see the offense start to regain their mojo. I couldn't be more happier for the guys and the seniors on this team. We had great seats right behind the Duke bench and it was very cool listening to the interaction between Knowles, other defensive coaches, and the players. A beautiful day in the Triad was made all the sweeter with a hard fought Duke victory. Sincerest congrats to the team and coaching staff - you guys had your big boy pants on today. But like most of my fellow Duke fans, I'm still hungry...I want one more win!

budwom
11-25-2017, 09:56 PM
for the past five games, and ten of the twelve in the season, Duke has given up fewer than 25 points/game. I am too lazy to look up records, but I suspect it's the first time we've done that in a long time.

Reilly
11-25-2017, 11:17 PM
DJ seemed to do a much better job today of throwing the ball away and not taking sacks.

budwom
11-26-2017, 08:13 AM
and somehow we survived a truly horrific performance by special teams in the first half. Kudos to the defense for dealing with Wake getting such good field position. Gotta think there will be changes in that unit (ST) in the not too distant future.

Bob Green
11-26-2017, 08:25 AM
With the exception of the one Wake TD pass where Duke seemed totally confused and/or disorganized, the defense played another very solid game. Sophomore cornerback Mark Gilbert (#28) with two interceptions had a standout game. He is going to be on some All ACC ballots.

Sophomore linebacker Koby Quansah (#49) led the team in tackles with 10 and forced/recovered a fumble.

The participation report at GoDuke.com list freshman Marquis Waters (#10) as playing but I did not notice him on the field with sophomore Dylan Singleton (#16) getting the start at Safety in place of Jeremy McDuffie recording nine tackles, a forced fumble and a pass breakup. Waters had an impact performance against Georgia Tech but was invisible against Wake Forest so I hope he wasn't banged up in practice.

The youngsters on the defense are growing up, which bodes well for the future.

sagegrouse
11-26-2017, 08:36 AM
and somehow we survived a truly horrific performance by special teams in the first half. Kudos to the defense for dealing with Wake getting such good field position. Gotta think there will be changes in that unit (ST) in the not too distant future.

We lost the field position battle in the first half. Part of it was untimely turnovers (I believe a "timely turnover" has apples and cinnamon). Part of it was the punting exchanges -- 74 yards to the one-yard line, followed by a 25-yard net punt by Duke giving Wake the ball inside our 30.

arnie
11-26-2017, 08:38 AM
With the exception of the one Wake TD pass where Duke seemed totally confused and/or disorganized, the defense played another very solid game. Sophomore cornerback Mark Gilbert (#28) with two interceptions had a standout game. He is going to be on some All ACC ballots.

Sophomore linebacker Koby Quansah (#49) led the team in tackles with 10 and forced/recovered a fumble.

The participation report at GoDuke.com list freshman Marquis Waters (#10) as playing but I did not notice him on the field with sophomore Dylan Singleton (#16) getting the start at Safety in place of Jeremy McDuffie recording nine tackles, a forced fumble and a pass breakup. Waters had an impact performance against Georgia Tech but was invisible against Wake Forest so I hope he wasn't banged up in practice.

Yes, I think our D will be very strong next season and if Cut can get special teams straightened out we could be very good. Will Humphreys play in the bowl game??

budwom
11-26-2017, 08:47 AM

I had the same question about Waters...our pal Jersey Mike saw him on special teams at one point, so we're not sure if he didn't play on defense because of health or matchups. He WAS great vs GT.
Quansah played great as you say, heavily recruited guy, I can see why. Frankly at this point he's playing better than a hobbled Humphreys who has not been the same since his initial injury a few weeks ago...
Nice to see a level of depth and talent on defense we have not seen in a very very long time.

ehdg
11-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Now not to pour rain on a big win I still honestly believe that even with the last 2 big wins in the off season Coach Cut needs to make some changes with the coaching staff. For starters Ropers needs to be either demoted or out rightly fired. A new Offensive Coordinator/Play caller needs to be hired and preferably one with experience and a track record. Also might be time for a new Special Teams coach as well.

Bob Green
11-26-2017, 01:12 PM
A new Offensive Coordinator/Play caller needs to be hired and preferably one with experience and a track record. Also might be time for a new Special Teams coach as well.

A 10th assistant coach is authorized next season so hopefully Coach Cutcliffe goes outside the life lines and brings in someone with experience to shore up the staff. Offensive coordinator, special teams and wide receivers are the three positions in need of an immediate upgrade.

budwom
11-26-2017, 01:14 PM
^"might be?" Cut used to brag about special teams, this year they've largely been a horror show, though Parker has stepped up kicking FGs.
Between punting and (non) punt returns, we've lost a lot of field position. The fact that Wake had such a huge advantage punting in the first half (and didn't score all that much) is a testament to the toughness of our defense.

ehdg
11-26-2017, 01:23 PM
A 10th assistant coach is authorized next season so hopefully Coach Cutcliffe goes outside the life lines and brings in someone with experience to shore up the staff. Offensive coordinator, special teams and wide receivers are the three positions in need of an immediate upgrade.

I agree Bob and was debating about the WR's coach as well.

Question Bob with the addition of a 10th AC does this mean that Roper could be retained and just demoted with a new hiring for OC/Play Caller?

jimsumner
11-26-2017, 01:43 PM
I agree Bob and was debating about the WR's coach as well.

Question Bob with the addition of a 10th AC does this mean that Roper could be retained and just demoted with a new hiring for OC/Play Caller?

A more likely scenario, IMO, is to retain Faris for his recruiting acumen, while upgrading the WR-coach-position.

Roper could move back to special-teams coach and perhaps upgrade two spots.

And that does imply losing one current staff member.

And I'm okay with that.

richardjackson199
11-26-2017, 01:46 PM
A more likely scenario, IMO, is to retain Faris for his recruiting acumen, while upgrading the WR-coach-position.

And I'm okay with that.

That would be fabulous.

peloton
11-26-2017, 01:48 PM
DJ seemed to do a much better job today of throwing the ball away and not taking sacks.

Absolutely. Daniel was not only on target more with his receivers, he was mentally much more sharp. One of my sons doesn't really follow football and I explained to him about DJ throwing it away outside of the sidelines once (near where we were sitting) and his response was, "that's pretty smart".

Now not to pour rain on a big win I still honestly believe that even with the last 2 big wins in the off season Coach Cut needs to make some changes with the coaching staff. For starters Ropers needs to be either demoted or out rightly fired. A new Offensive Coordinator/Play caller needs to be hired and preferably one with experience and a track record. Also might be time for a new Special Teams coach as well.

I'll only speak for myself here but regarding your pouring rain on a big win - not going to happen. I'm still jacked from yesterday's win (or is it still the late morning coffee?) While I'm going to refrain from passing judgement on the coaching staff and what may or may not need to happen, I do agree with you, Budwom, and countless others that special teams is a big disappointment. I know that this is a painful thorn in the side of Cutcliffe and I trust that he'll do what needs to be done to upgrade this facet of our game.

peloton
11-26-2017, 01:54 PM

And I'm okay with that.

Totally in agreement, Jim. Most of us who follow Duke football and the recruiting involved, know Faris is a valuable recruiter - I certainly hope that we don't lose him due to his prowess on the recruiting trail. I really like this scenario - let's hope that whatever happens, we're a better team next year in all these aspects of the game.

Bob Green
11-26-2017, 01:59 PM

And I'm okay with that.

Thanks Jim. Your scenario makes a lot of sense. We need to upgrade in multiple places.

Devil549
11-26-2017, 07:46 PM
I would not be upset if we hire new OC but another way to look at this season is in the 6 games we won the offense played pretty good at times. Probably UNC and Baylor worst 2 offensive games that we won.

Army game was biggest disappointment as well as puzzling b/c we should have run the ball then killed them with the pass. Now our WRs have been disappointing this year but TEs are pretty good and RBs pretty good. The OL looked awful a couple of games and decent in other games.....probably reason the offense was so up and down....the old “games are won in the trenches” belief most if not all coaches have.

Now our defense was much improved and IMO this was the best DL Duke has had in the Coach Cut era. I like the potential of our defense for next year and hope the kicking game keeps improving.....need a new punt returner Rhaming does not look good back there and will need a replacement for Wilson who has given us a home run threat this year as kick returner.

devildeac
11-27-2017, 11:52 AM
Cut quite happy with this win:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article186540633.html

“I would call it critical,” Cutcliffe said. “Every aspect of it. The bonding that you get. The work that the young people get. Our ability to evaluate our young people. It boosts recruiting. I’m going to feel a whole lot better heading into homes.”

rtnorthrup
11-27-2017, 02:04 PM

And I'm okay with that.

At the beginning of the season, I seem to recall that Duke hired an Asst. Coach (from Purdue I think???) that had some DUI baggage. The article seemed to imply that there was a good chance that this Asst.Coach would be added next season when the NCAA upped the on field coach limit. Not sure where that stands right now, but it could still be in the pipeline.

It would be highly irregular for Coach Cut to demote an Asst. Coach. His prior MO, when he wants to move on from a Coach, is to help find that Coach a lateral move. Roper going from Off. Coordinator to Special Teams coach would be unusual. More likely is that Cut wold take over play calling duties; Roper is moved to a "passing game" coordinator, and takes on Special Team duties as well. That would allow Cut to move Bridge on and bring in a "run game" coordinator if he wants, or if the coach already on staff could take that position.

Coach Cut was pretty defensive about Roper in the post GaTech game interviews. It didn't sound like he was thinking of moving on from him. Who knows.

Olympic Fan
11-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Second week in a row that Duke pulls a big conference upset, then gets blanked on ACC Player of the week awards.

There were 11 awards )two were split) and Duke got none of them -- again.

The funny thing is that the awards almost always go to players off winning teams (one reason we didn't win an award after the UNC game). But this week, both Wake and Syracuse -- losers on the field -- go POW winners.

Jones lost to Lamar Jackson for offensive back, despite outgaining him 383 to 376 yards and accounting for three touchdowns to two for Jackson.