PDA

View Full Version : NC State dodged a high Cali-ber bullet

Zeb
10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Andy Katz article on Calipari (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3066270)

This is an interesting article for two reasons:

1) I never knew how close Calipari was to jumping to NC State.

2) There are several amusing sentences that (intentionally or not) make it sound like the program is the best FedEx money can buy. My favorite:

Sure, an NBA team is now in town with the Grizzlies, but the school, like many major universities in the South, is akin to a pro team.(emphasis added)

Bluedawg
10-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I think State made the right choice. I like Sidney.

Ignatius07
10-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I also think NC State got lucky when Calipari didn't commit. I can't even dislike them at all because Lowe seems like such a good guy.

Calipari was enticed by NC State's commitment to the program, the financial considerations for his staff, and the challenge of facing the blue bloods at Duke and North Carolina.

I distinctly remember this being the reason he didn't come to NC State. I recall reading that Calipari didn't think he could recruit well with Durham and Chapel Hill so close. Does anybody else remember this?

VaDukie
10-23-2007, 12:20 AM
I remember he said he couldn't recruit with NC State's 'stringent' academic standards.

hurleyfor3
10-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Calipari would've been the next Jimmy V, but not in a good way.