PDA

View Full Version : 2017-2018 Announcer Thread

MChambers
11-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Post your thoughts on announcers here. I expect a majority of posts to address Mr. Bilas, who definitely has jumped the shark, but comments on Vitale, Dakich, Elmore, Burke, Bonner, etc. are welcomed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Post your thoughts on announcers here. I expect a majority of posts to address Mr. Bilas, who definitely has jumped the shark, but comments on Vitale, Dakich, Elmore, Burke, Bonner, etc. are welcomed.

Watched last night with my Tar Heel Neighbor. He was Bilas - who he had previously enjoyed - as being a Duke shill last night. I told him that Duke fans seem him quite differently. I said that he only seems really happy when ripping on the NCAA. That is what gives him joy.

CrazyNotCrazie
11-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really can't stand the use of the floating camera during live action. It is great for replays, and I got a kick out of how they used it to circumvent the managers holding up towels when Bagley was injured by going right over the top of him. But they should stop messing around and just stick with the fixed camera. I'm assuming that this generally won't be an issue as most arenas probably don't have that capability.

Otherwise, I thought the announcers were fine last night. I have started to grow tired of Bilas over the last few years, particularly with the self-deprecating humor that was getting old due to over-exposure (we are tired of the jokes about your hair and how other players were better than you), but I don't recall anything that bothered me last night - I think he did a pretty good job of letting the game breathe.

Henderson
11-15-2017, 10:43 AM

All of those folks are TV announcers. Some of us cover games more on the radio. David Shumate has been fine. My standards are pretty low, because on the radio, the only critical task of the play-by-play announcer is to paint a picture of what is happening (and what just happened) for people who are situationally sight impaired. This season, I'm getting that. That hasn't always been the case.

flyingdutchdevil
11-15-2017, 10:52 AM
I thought he was particularly unbias (ie not anti-Duke). Happy Dickie V didn't announce our game because I had to mute the KU-UK game.

Duke95
11-15-2017, 11:09 AM
I thought he was particularly unbias (ie not anti-Duke). Happy Dickie V didn't announce our game because I had to mute the KU-UK game.

I also muted the UK-KU game because of Vitale. It's really difficult to listen to his never-ending stream of recycled banalities.

Bilas was ok last night. Jay Williams is awful though.

ohioguy2
11-15-2017, 11:20 AM
My wife and I were also overjoyed that Dickie did not do our game. Is it possible he is getting worse?

elvis14
11-15-2017, 11:26 AM
I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game. I did enjoy him during the second game. I don't need much analysis and I don't need the "anti-Duke" we get from Bilas and others...I'd rather have Vitale's enthusiasm.

DangerDevil
11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I really can't stand the use of the floating camera during live action. It is great for replays

I also find the floating camera angle hard to follow for live action.

Even worse, there were a few instances were the sideline camera was in use and the “floating camera” was in the shot on top of the action. I found that quite distracting.

Olympic Fan
11-15-2017, 12:00 PM
I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game. I did enjoy him during the second game. I don't need much analysis and I don't need the "anti-Duke" we get from Bilas and others...I'd rather have Vitale's enthusiasm.

I agree. My favorite announcers are:

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)
2. Dick Vitale (love his enthusiasm(
3. Mike Gminski

My least favorite:
1. Jay Bilas
2. Len Elmore
(nobody else in third place)

Jeffrey
11-15-2017, 12:04 PM
If we can add analyst to the mix, I sure was disappointed in Jay Williams, last night, thinking the UCLA players should only be suspended for a couple games. IMO, when the POTUS has to get involved, your punishment should be greater than a 2 day suspension. I'd rather have the POTUS focused on asking China to help stop the threat of a nuclear war.

Jeffrey
11-15-2017, 12:06 PM
My favorite announcers are:

That makes two of us, and, most likely, only two of us.

MChambers
11-15-2017, 01:07 PM
That makes two of us, and, most likely, only two of us.

How do you two get in the mood for Walton? Any particular pre-game or in-game routine, legal or otherwise?

arnie
11-15-2017, 01:21 PM

2. Dick Vitale (love his enthusiasm(
3. Mike Gminski

My least favorite:
1. Jay Bilas
2. Len Elmore

You pretty much nailed it. I might add Dan Bonner to list of favorites and Mike Patrick to the bottom list.

slower
11-15-2017, 02:05 PM
I was bummed that Vitale didn't do our game.

Vitale would have been going insane about Grayson's game. Would have enjoyed that. I still love Vitale's call of Austin Rivers' UNC-beater.

flyingdutchdevil
11-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Vitale would have been going insane about Grayson's game. Would have enjoyed that. I still love Vitale's call of Austin Rivers' UNC-beater.

Pretty sure Vitale is to the DBR crowd what Grayson is to the college ball crowd: you either love him or you hate him.

Is anyone here actually lukewarm/doesn't care about Vitale? This assumes that you have to listen to him and he isn't on mute.

slower
11-15-2017, 02:13 PM

My least favorite:
1. Jay Bilas
2. Len Elmore

What about Seth Greenberg? He's rather annoying in his thinly-veiled Duke hate.

duke79
11-15-2017, 02:32 PM
Pretty sure Vitale is to the DBR crowd what Grayson is to the college ball crowd: you either love him or you hate him.

Is anyone here actually lukewarm/doesn't care about Vitale? This assumes that you have to listen to him and he isn't on mute.

Hey, I love Dickie V and his enthusiasm for college basketball (and for Duke! He's no "hater") but I really can't stand listen to him announce any game. His "schtick" (sic) has worn thin and, IMHO, he is way past his prime (if he ever had a prime).

elvis14
11-15-2017, 02:35 PM
Hey, I love Dickie V and his enthusiasm for college basketball (and for Duke! He's no "hater") but I really can't stand listen to him announce any game. His "schtick" (sic) has worn thin and, IMHO, he is way past his prime (if he ever had a prime).

I freely admit that Vitale's schtick is old and repetitive. I also think he used to be much better (he's kind of a caricature of his old self at this point). And I'll still take him all day over Bilas, Elmore and other guys that are so some degree anti-Duke. Like I said, I don't need much analysis, I've been watching hoops a long long time and I read DBR way too much, so I'd rather be entertained than p!ssed off.

WV_Iron_Duke
11-15-2017, 03:04 PM
"Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post

1. Bill Walton (pure gonzo)"

Me too:) That makes 3 of us.

rasputin
11-15-2017, 03:08 PM

I think Doris does a good job, even though she talks too much. Jimmy Dykes is also good IMO.

Jeffrey
11-15-2017, 06:50 PM
How do you two get in the mood for Walton? Any particular pre-game or in-game routine, legal or otherwise?

To be honest, I'd gladly listen to Jordan announce an NBA game.

I'd love to hear Nicklaus announce a major PGA championship.

IMO, Walton was the greatest college basketball player and I love to hear his college basketball views.

fisheyes
11-26-2017, 10:08 PM
Bill Walton is clearly a smart guy. But...

He is now in bizarro world.

Does he realize that they are playing basketball out there?

ChillinDuke
11-26-2017, 10:17 PM
He's outstanding tonight. I'm losing it time and again.

"The only thing more meaningless than a halftime score of a college basketball game is the final score of an NBA exhibition game." - Walton

Pure genius. Easily top 2 most meaningless things in universe.

- Chillin

diablesseblu
12-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Just watched Xavier-Cincinnati. Did not realize Len Elmore has moved to Fox Sports.

CameronBornAndBred
12-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Been enjoying Cory Alexander's analysis during today's game. He offers up actual useful information. (Even when it's a blowout.)

MChambers
12-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Been enjoying Cory Alexander's analysis during today's game. He offers up actual useful information. (Even when it's a blowout.)

Yes, he’s better than most.

Turk
12-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Arnie, Chillin, and yours truly takes us up to 6.

And Mark Titus makes 7, although he's a little backhanded about it - "most announcers aren't very good, so enjoy someone who's entertaining."
Walton is the best because he's funny (https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/1/16722132/college-basketball-power-rankings-bill-walton-texas-am)

Underneath that hippy-dippy Grateful Red shtick is an old-school hoops purist when he cares to show it. I caught him doing the UCLA - Tech game in China after the little shoplifting incident, and Walton went on the most blistering rant I've ever heard from him about the stupidity of the UCLA players and the disgrace and embarrassment they caused.

I've texted the young Turks: "Professor Walton's seminar is starting; attendance mandatory."

As for preparation, I gen up a couple of Bill Walton Bingo cards and hang on for the ride. http://billwaltonbingo.com/

Reilly
12-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Just watched Xavier-Cincinnati. Did not realize Len Elmore has moved to Fox Sports.

And I heard earlier this week that this year's flu vaccine may not be as effective as hoped. Distressing news all around.

Pghdukie
12-03-2017, 10:16 AM
And I heard earlier this week that this year's flu vaccine may not be as effective as hoped. Distressing

Try some of Walton's medicine !!

Turk
12-17-2017, 12:39 PM
Bill Walton on fire last night doing the Utah - BYU game with Roxy Bernstein. Roxy seems like he's having more fun and does a better job keeping up with Grateful Red on his rhetorical misadventures than Dave Pasch.

Quote of the night, on overcoming his stuttering: "Learning how to speak is my greatest accomplishment and your worst nightmare."

Turk
02-11-2018, 10:56 PM
Stayed up late on Saturday to see USC at Arizona. Walton and Pasch were grumpy and sniping at each other all night like two sisters-in-law who don't like each other (don't ask me how I know). Big Red might need a new straight man.

Turk
02-11-2018, 11:06 PM
Fox has been pairing the legendary Gus Johnson with Jimmy Jackson. They had the Duke / St John's game, and they usually do the best Big East game during the weekend. On Saturday, they had Butler-Villanova. Jackson is truly horrible, adds absolutely nothing, and takes a long time to say it, leaving Gus less air to work. No matter how bad a ref misses a call, this almost always leads to a Jackson coaching lecture on what the player should have done differently.

CameronBornAndBred
02-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Say goodbye to Mike Patrick tonight in Cameron.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22527929/mike-patrick-ended-long-run-espn

Hingeknocker
02-21-2018, 11:02 AM
Say goodbye to Mike Patrick tonight in Cameron.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/22527929/mike-patrick-ended-long-run-espn

He had been at ESPN for a very long time, and surely had his moments of greatness. But in more recent years, maybe even the last decade or so, Patrick was borderline impossible to listen to. His pairing with Len Elmore for basketball games produced some of the most error-filled broadcasts I can ever remember.

CameronBornAndBred
02-21-2018, 02:08 PM
I haven't read the words "is retiring" in any of the Mike Patrick articles, so it sounds like ESPN is kicking him out the door, but with honors. I doubt he's done announcing.
Likely one of those cost saving moves that they have been making lately.

kako
02-21-2018, 04:51 PM
He had been at ESPN for a very long time, and surely had his moments of greatness. But in more recent years, maybe even the last decade or so, Patrick was borderline impossible to listen to. His pairing with Len Elmore for basketball games produced some of the most error-filled broadcasts I can ever remember.

Agree about the errors. Age was not kind to him announcing-wise (his "joke" about Britney Spears in Georgia-Alabama game lives in infamy). But I always got the sense he loved his job announcing the ACC, and I seem to recall he had good historical references. I think you can tell some of the other guys do it for the paycheck and the sense of being famous. I thought Patrick just loved calling ACC hoops. I wish him well.

DU82
02-21-2018, 07:04 PM
I haven't read the words "is retiring" in any of the Mike Patrick articles, so it sounds like ESPN is kicking him out the door, but with honors. I doubt he's done announcing.
Likely one of those cost saving moves that they have been making lately.

IIRC, Patrick had a stroke a few years ago, and it really affected his broadcasting. Before, he was "OK", afterwards he missed a lot of things. (Couldn't find a link confirming what I remembered, however.)

sagegrouse
02-21-2018, 07:20 PM
IIRC, Patrick had a stroke a few years ago, and it really affected his broadcasting. Before, he was "OK", afterwards he missed a lot of things. (Couldn't find a link confirming what I remembered, however.)

From his bio on Wikipedia:

Since 1982, Patrick has worked for ESPN, where he is best known for his role as play-by-play announcer on the network's Sunday Night Football telecasts, with Paul Maguire and Joe Theismann from 1987–2005.[3] Patrick was briefly replaced in 2004 by Pat Summerall, while he recovered from heart bypass surgery.

I noticed he seemed different when he returned. Maybe there was a later vascular episode.

DU82
02-21-2018, 07:22 PM

I noticed he seemed different when he returned. Maybe there was a later vascular episode.

Thanks for the correction. I knew there was a health issue that clearly (to me) affected his performance.

DU82
02-21-2018, 07:26 PM
ESPN's been having technical issues with the Syracuse-Cheater game. The only cameras working were the above the basket ones, and there was no live audio. Good angle, and the studio guys (including Tom Crean) filled in.

Now the full broadcast is back, and we have to listen to Beth Mowins and Dan Dakich. Not an improvement.

53n206
02-21-2018, 08:10 PM

Frequency of minor strokes, emboli, after cardiac surgery, is more than we would like to discuss publicly.

DU82
02-21-2018, 09:13 PM
Just honored Patrick at mid court during the first media timeout. Showed the Gone in 54 seconds telecast.

MChambers
02-22-2018, 08:18 AM
From the postgame quotes by Coach K:

“Before I start, there’s a distinguished gentleman in the back [Mike Patrick], who, after 35 years of representing ACC, college football, college basketball, and being the voice that’s made our conference better, announced his retirement today. After this, we watch tape of our game and then we watch our next opponent, we stay in here for a little bit, so you’re not the only guys working, and a lot of times we turn off the sound because we feel we can coach better than the people who are doing the game, but we never turned the sound off on him. We’ve always learned a lot, thanks for being a great friend, Mike.”

Man, Coach K is a great representative of Duke.

Side note: Mike Patrick was the local sports guy in Jacksonville, FL, when I was growing up there. Makes me feel old to see him go.

killerleft
02-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Coach K nailed it. Mike Patrick was to the ACC what Bob Harris was to Duke.

CoachJ10
02-26-2018, 09:21 PM
Dan Dakich is an announcer whose schtick has always rubbed me the wrong way. He enjoys making unneccessarily negative comments on players to get social media attraction and attention.

His style is juvenile and not very classy.

86devils
02-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Maybe I was just in a bad mood last night, no doubt partly caused by Duke’s lackluster performance, but I found ESPN’s broadcast of the VT game to be thoroughly unenjoyable. Even before he brutally ripped Bagley for being “all about Bagley,” using five or six different phrases to drive home his point, Dakich was annoying me with his incessant commentary about seemingly everything BUT the game being played. He often rambled on so long that Sean McDonnough was unable to provide play-by-play coverage (or maybe Sean was just unwilling to try to break in, lest he be steamrolled by Dakich’s angry-guy rant). And while I think there is a point to be made about Bagley needing improvement in some areas, I think the harshness of Dakich’s “attack” obscured that point. He seemed to be attacking the kid’s character as much as his play, which based on everything I’ve read and heard, is totally unwarranted.

Does anyone know who is slated to cover the Duke Carolina game this Saturday? Dear god I hope it’s not Vitale.

budwom
02-27-2018, 04:23 PM
As usual, the mute button reigns supreme. Ignore it at your peril.

killerleft
02-27-2018, 04:39 PM
Dakich was unprofessional in his attack on Bagley. And attack is the right word. Bagley deserves an apology. It is one thing to criticize aspects of a player's game, quite another to question his character.

And what was that crap criticizing Coach K bending the ear of the refs? Buzz was doing it all game long, which Dakich actually brought up several times, never questioning whether the refs should be listening. Might it be factual to say that Dakich thought the refs should be listening to sweet Buzz, but not Coach K? Yes, I think it would be factual.

:mad::confused::eek:

BandAlum83
03-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Time Brando is wearing a lapel pin with two flags on it today. One is an American flag. Does nyone know what the other flag is?

HereBeforeCoachK
03-08-2018, 05:05 PM
Coach K nailed it. Mike Patrick was to the ACC what Bob Harris was to Duke.

Patrick used to always call Cameron "the mecca of college basketball" - I kind of agree.....

Reilly
03-31-2018, 10:19 PM
Raftery x1000> Packer ... thanking God for certain gifts ...

sagegrouse
03-31-2018, 11:31 PM
Raftery x1000> Packer ... thanking God for certain gifts ...

I'm hurrying to the first one to respond. Ahem. Sniff, sniff. I Boolevean you meant Raftery > 1000 x Packer.

Kindly,
Sage
'Or maybe you like Billy Packer'