devildeac
11-14-2017, 08:08 PM
Bagley still not out of locker room.

It's over.

MChambers
11-14-2017, 08:12 PM
Bagley still not out of locker room.

It's over.

Somebody, perhaps BD80, beat you to it in the game thread!

Anyway, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

proelitedota
11-14-2017, 08:15 PM
So can some with expert knowledge shed some knowledge about this.

Hancock 4 Duke
11-14-2017, 08:44 PM
So can some with expert knowledge shed some knowledge about this. With my very limited amount of knowledge, if he's still in the locker room/being kept out of the game, it's probably a scratched cornea. A normal jab in the eye would be cause for 5 minutes of ice and a pat on the back.

devilsadvocate85
11-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Bagley’s reaction/response to what seemed like an MSU player asking about his status in the handshake line seemed pretty positive.

slower
11-14-2017, 09:26 PM
With my very limited amount of knowledge, if he's still in the locker room/being kept out of the game, it's probably a scratched cornea. A normal jab in the eye would be cause for 5 minutes of ice and a pat on the back.

Definitely LOOKS like a scratched cornea. Javin speared him pretty well.

Bluedog
11-14-2017, 09:27 PM
No expert, but I'm guessing just needs some time to heal on own. Not like something that requires a procedure as he wouldn't have been back on the bench if that was the case.

weezie
11-14-2017, 09:29 PM
Good spot devilsadvocate!

flyingdutchdevil
11-14-2017, 09:45 PM
Coach K says Bagley has a scratched eye. What does that mean in terms of recovery?

Danke

proelitedota
11-14-2017, 09:48 PM
Coach K says Bagley has a scratched eye. What does that mean in terms of recovery?

Danke

I am a doctor. With a WebMD PHD. I saw he is out for 1-2 games. He'll take longer to heal the psychological damage.

DrChainsaw
11-14-2017, 09:51 PM

Danke

Typically, 1-2 days. More significant corneal abrasions can take longer and, rarely, they can get infected, but usually just a couple of days.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2017, 09:53 PM
Typically, 1-2 days. More significant corneal abrasions can take longer and, rarely, they can get infected, but usually just a couple of days.

What if it happened with a chainsaw, Doc?

flyingdutchdevil
11-14-2017, 09:54 PM

Someone spork OPK for me please.

tfk53
11-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Agree with likely corneal abrasion from what they are saying and how Bagley looked afterwards. Have had some from errant fingernails of my children in the past. Painful but typically clears quickly in a few days. I have had very few that I have treated that needed to be referred out.

Must say my pessimistic side was bringing up visions of Jon Scheyer and his eye injury. Praying not so.

ohioguy2
11-14-2017, 09:59 PM
I was a victim of a corneal abrasion several years ago. I would have been comfortable playing in a few days. It did take weeks for complete healing but my eye doctor told me at a routine exam last week that new procedures would hasten healing greatly. Almost all of my discomfort involved sleeping.

gotoguy
11-14-2017, 10:02 PM
I hope its only a scratched cornea but if so the trainers should have patched it in the locker room to limit more irritation.

Newton_14
11-14-2017, 10:14 PM
Somebody, perhaps BD80, beat you to it in the game thread!

Anyway, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Or when NC State beat UCLA in the 1974 National Title game in Greensboro in 3 feet of snow? :)

du_bb1
11-14-2017, 10:14 PM
I hope its only a scratched cornea but if so the trainers should have patched it in the locker room to limit more irritation.

This ! why no patch/

ohioguy2
11-14-2017, 10:15 PM

Nope, although darkness may be more comfortable, the irritation would not be limited by a patch if it really is a corneal abrasion.

Furniture
11-14-2017, 10:20 PM

Donne.

ohioguy2
11-14-2017, 10:21 PM
He is signing autographs as he walks up the aisle. Does not appear to be squinting.

Ultrarunner
11-14-2017, 10:23 PM

Can’t.

NYBri
11-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Can’t.

Done.

moonpie23
11-14-2017, 10:44 PM
wonder if he'll get fitted for some kareem goggles...

CameronBlue
11-14-2017, 10:51 PM
So can some with expert knowledge shed some knowledge about this.

Seconded! All those in favor say....

CameronBornAndBred
11-14-2017, 10:54 PM

Nope, although darkness may be more comfortable, the irritation would not be limited by a patch if it really is a corneal abrasion.

Could you imagine the fan freakout if Bagley came out in the second half looking like a pirate? Whether it would be health wise smart or not, PR wise it would have been a disaster.

OldPhiKap
11-14-2017, 10:56 PM
Could you imagine the fan freakout if Bagley came out in the second half looking like a pirate? Whether it would be health wise smart or not, PR wise it would have been a disaster.

That would have been arrrrrrrrrful.

westwall
11-14-2017, 11:07 PM
I was a victim of a corneal abrasion several years ago. I would have been comfortable playing in a few days. It did take weeks for complete healing but my eye doctor told me at a routine exam last week that new procedures would hasten healing greatly. Almost all of my discomfort involved sleeping.

Forty years ago a finger poke gave me a corneal abrasion that was painful for a couple of days. The cornea repairs itself, but the problem was that new corneal tissue could easily 'slough off', bringing back the pain and discomfort. That happened to me several times over a period of months, so I do hope that new procedures will hasten a permanent repair.

Saratoga2
11-14-2017, 11:09 PM
No expert, but I'm guessing just needs some time to heal on own. Not like something that requires a procedure as he wouldn't have been back on the bench if that was the case.

I had a scratched cornea and the doctor put a contact lens over it with medication under the lens. I was told that tissue on the surface of the cornea heals much more quickly than skin on your arm for instance and it turned out that my vision returned to a large degree in about 3 days and continued to improve to regain full vision after that.

devildeac
11-14-2017, 11:10 PM

I am currently unable to oblige, having not been promiscuous enough recently.

devildeac
11-14-2017, 11:13 PM
He is signing autographs as he walks up the aisle. Does not appear to be squinting.

Good to hear except that he's signing them Marques Bolden does bother me a bit :rolleyes:.

devildeac
11-14-2017, 11:14 PM
That would have been arrrrrrrrrful.

Somebody unspork OPK for this one. :rolleyes:

(kidding)

devildeac
11-14-2017, 11:16 PM
Paging JStuart...

DevilFalcon
11-14-2017, 11:35 PM
No need for an eye vigil. Scratch to the eye, he's probably back in a few days. Eyes heal quickly. For him to be out on the bench, with no cover and reasonably comfortable looking around, its not serious.
Someone tell Delaurier to cut his finger nails so this doesn't happen again.
When Bagley is in the NBA Hall of Fame Javin will be able to tell his kids that one time his finger was under Marvin's eyelid.... File that under odd but true.

Kedsy
11-14-2017, 11:56 PM

This happened to me while playing ball about 25 years ago. Had one-third of my cornea scraped off. Missed a week of work. Was back playing ball in about two weeks.

It was very painful. I wouldn't have been able to sit on the bench for the second half. So my guess is the same as everyone else's, that he'll be out for just a few days.

One thing that happened to me -- I was psychologically unable to play again without goggles. It wouldn't surprise me if Marvin rocks some new eyewear when he returns.

coachbob
11-15-2017, 12:04 AM
No need for an eye vigil. Scratch to the eye, he's probably back in a few days. Eyes heal quickly. For him to be out on the bench, with no cover and reasonably comfortable looking around, its not serious.
Someone tell Delaurier to cut his finger nails so this doesn't happen again.
When Bagley is in the NBA Hall of Fame Javin will be able to tell his kids that one time his finger was under Marvin's eyelid... File that under odd but true.

This is why I (and everyone should) always cut my nails before playing ball.
btw Whatever happened to the idea of a dbr pickup game? I can provide a gym on Sundays.

cbarry
11-15-2017, 12:04 AM
This ! why no patch/
I work as a PA in pediatrics. We see a fair number of traumatic corneal abrasions. Patching is no longer routinely recommended for most corneal abrasions (only very occasionally for larger abrasions). The data is mixed on +/- use of topical antibiotics, but abrasions are typically treated with antibiotic ointment if tolerated, or antibiotic drops.

The healing time varies from 1-2 days for a small abrasion to several days for larger abrasions. It totally depends on the size (and location) of the abrasion (i.e. if it is directly over the visual field). I'm sure Marvin will be well cared for by Duke's medical staff!

Great win for us tonight. The guys really pulled together, and Grayson was insane!

brlftz
11-15-2017, 01:05 AM
Forty years ago a finger poke gave me a corneal abrasion that was painful for a couple of days. The cornea repairs itself, but the problem was that new corneal tissue could easily 'slough off', bringing back the pain and discomfort. That happened to me several times over a period of months, so I do hope that new procedures will hasten a permanent repair.

there is no more awful word in our language than "slough". when i was helping my wife study for a class and the sloughing off of skin came up, i about lost it. knowing that eyes do it to is a new level of ick.

TruBlu
11-15-2017, 04:42 AM
btw Whatever happened to the idea of a dbr pickup game? I can provide a gym on Sundays.

Yes, everyone should cut their nails before games, with the exception of Antonio Lang in 1994.

DrChainsaw
11-15-2017, 06:32 AM

Live eyeball technical. Two shots and the ball....

aGDevil2k
11-15-2017, 07:39 AM
I had a scratched cornea and the doctor put a contact lens over it with medication under the lens. I was told that tissue on the surface of the cornea heals much more quickly than skin on your arm for instance and it turned out that my vision returned to a large degree in about 3 days and continued to improve to regain full vision after that.

As someone who had PRK in one eye and lasik in the other, I can testify to that

budwom
11-15-2017, 07:56 AM
I won't rest easy until an opthamologist gets a gander...for instance, can we be sure there isn't a detached retina? From what I hear from K, he had no real diagnosis...

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Good opportunity for all of us to learn how to spell ophthalmologist.
Love, Ima

Henderson
11-15-2017, 08:28 AM
I won't rest easy until an opthamologist gets a gander...for instance, can we be sure there isn't a detached retina? From what I hear from K, he had no real diagnosis...

You could detach both retinas, his entire pancreas, and half his medulla oblongata, and he'd still be a beast.

Let's look forward to a fast-healing scratch though.

davekay1971
11-15-2017, 08:58 AM
there is no more awful word in our language than "slough". when i was helping my wife study for a class and the sloughing off of skin came up, i about lost it. knowing that eyes do it to is a new level of ick.

Everything sloughs. It's just a matter of time.

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Never go in against in a civilian with death on the line. And never engage in conversation with people who work in medicine if you get grossed out by anything.

Bluedog
11-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Sounds like he's expected to be back for the next game according to Coach K:
"He’s got a scratched eye and we didn’t want to bring him back in the second half. His eye was starting to shut. At first he had a hard time seeing out of it. It’s scratched.” The Duke head coach also noted his belief that Bagley would be available for Duke’s next game against Southern on Friday in Cameron Indoor Stadium."
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Bolt/Coach-K-Updates-Marvin-Bagleys-Status--110517142

sagegrouse
11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Sounds like he's expected to be back for the next game according to Coach K:
"He’s got a scratched eye and we didn’t want to bring him back in the second half. His eye was starting to shut. At first he had a hard time seeing out of it. It’s scratched.” The Duke head coach also noted his belief that Bagley would be available for Duke’s next game against Southern on Friday in Cameron Indoor Stadium."
https://247sports.com/college/duke/Bolt/Coach-K-Updates-Marvin-Bagleys-Status--110517142

This is so disappointing1 How can we have a proper vigil unless there is serious obfuscation by Coach K and Duke athletics?? ;)

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2017, 09:16 AM

How many nails do you have, how many people does it take to cut them?! :rolleyes:

miramar
11-15-2017, 09:26 AM
The entire team should wear Louis Vuitton sunglasses on the court, just like UCLA.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 10:01 AM

And Tony Lang's ~1 mm miss of blocking Thurman's (?) 3 in 1994 is why nails should NOT be trimmed. :(

(Yes, I'm still having a difficult time with that one. :o)

(I see TruBlue beat me to it. Sorry for arriving late to the thread this AM. :o)

devildeac
11-15-2017, 10:03 AM
Everything sloughs. It's just a matter of time.

Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Never go in against in a civilian with death on the line. And never engage in conversation with people who work in medicine if you get grossed out by anything.

You forgot one:

Never trust anyone in the athletic department at "u"nc.

Maybe two:

Or the ncaa. :mad:

53n206
11-15-2017, 10:16 AM

How would you like to live in Slough, UK, a modest sized city,15-20 miles west of London? (pronounced as in "cow").

flyingdutchdevil
11-15-2017, 10:19 AM
How would you like to live in Slough, UK, a modest sized city,15-20 miles west of London? (pronounced as in "cow").

No one wants to live in Slough. I had to work there for a couple of weeks. It's miserable.

It's where the original The Office (BBC) is based.

Henderson
11-15-2017, 10:22 AM

I'm not sure I'd want to live there, but Ricky Gervais is funnier than a scratched cornea.

left_hook_lacey
11-15-2017, 10:43 AM
You could detach both retinas, his entire pancreas, and half his medulla oblongata, and he'd still be a beast.

Let's look forward to a fast-healing scratch though.

Is this what makes him ornery, leading to his competitive drive? Or is it because he got all dem teef and no toofbrush?

kAzE
11-15-2017, 10:53 AM
That's one way to get more playing time, but we'd prefer if you earned it the traditional way ;)

scottdude8
11-15-2017, 11:06 AM
I've got a sneaky suspicion that the optics (pun fully intended) played some sort of a role here, since after any hit to the head the first thought of most sports fans in this day and age is concussion. Please note I am not in any way implying that's what happened... but I am saying that from a public relations stand-point if we put him back in after a shot to the head it might just add fuel to the fire of the Duke-hatred media machine.

MCFinARL
11-15-2017, 11:22 AM
I've got a sneaky suspicion that the optics (pun fully intended) played some sort of a role here, since after any hit to the head the first thought of most sports fans in this day and age is concussion. Please note I am not in any way implying that's what happened... but I am saying that from a public relations stand-point if we put him back in after a shot to the head it might just add fuel to the fire of the Duke-hatred media machine.

Certainly possible. But you could see on the bench that his eyelid was swelling shut--so even if the ultimate damage was not very significant, he might have had a hard time playing effectively last night.

jv001
11-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Certainly possible. But you could see on the bench that his eyelid was swelling shut--so even if the ultimate damage was not very significant, he might have had a hard time playing effectively last night.

And I saw him rubbing his head as if he had a headache. GoDuke!

Jeffrey
11-15-2017, 11:54 AM
This is so disappointing1 How can we have a proper vigil unless there is serious obfuscation by Coach K and Duke athletics?? ;)

Easy solution, pour peroxide on your jersey.

SilkyJ
11-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Good to hear except that he's signing them Marques Bolden does bother me a bit :rolleyes:.

Hm? What does this mean?

El_Diablo
11-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Hm? What does this mean?

It means he has trouble seeing what he is writing, to the extent he is signing someone else's name. It's a joke.

I was going to make a similar one, saying he was signing as "Marvin Bzxxxyxgflt"...but alas, I was too slow.

proelitedota
11-15-2017, 12:38 PM
No pirate Bagley against Southern then?

Delaurier needs to be punished. He shouldnt be allowed to play 2k with more than one hand for the rest of the month.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Hm? What does this mean?

He's signing the wrong name because he can't see very well out of one eye but got the M and the B correct.

(never mind)

devildeac
11-15-2017, 12:54 PM
It means he has trouble seeing what he is writing, to the extent he is signing someone else's name. It's a joke.

I was going to make a similar one, saying he was signing as "Marvin Bzxxxyxgflt"...but alas, I was too slow.

I beat you to the poor attempt at humor but you beat me to my own explanation.

Thank you and thank you. :o

BandAlum83
11-15-2017, 12:57 PM

"Marvin will be out for an indeterminate number of games due to an unspecified above the shoulder injury for which he may or may not wear a boot (or a helmet) on any given day for which the twitterverse will follow on a minute to minute basis."

AGDukesky
11-15-2017, 01:16 PM

You should have known, Coach K has always said there is no Eye in “vigil”

Henderson
11-15-2017, 01:22 PM
"Marvin will be out for an indeterminate number of games ..."

On behalf of every old Duke guy without reliable heart function, allow me respectfully to request ...

... Please don't start a post like that.

uh_no
11-15-2017, 01:33 PM
"Marvin will be out for an indeterminate number of games due to an unspecified above the shoulder injury for which he may or may not wear a boot (or a helmet) on any given day for which the twitterverse will follow on a minute to minute basis."

hmmm....i hear nike shoes may or may not be to blame.

DukeFanSince1990
11-15-2017, 01:33 PM

And jokes are like frogs. When you dissect it, it dies. Get it? Just like a frog dies when you dissect it, so does a joke when you explain it. Basically, the frog is used as an analogy, to help people understand that jokes shouldn't be explained, because the joke will die, or more specifically, become unfunny. So, just like when a frog dies when you dissect it, so does a joke when you dissect, or explain it.

left_hook_lacey
11-15-2017, 01:39 PM
And jokes are like frogs. When you dissect it, it dies. Get it? Just like a frog dies when you dissect it, so does a joke when you explain it. Basically, the frog is used as an analogy, to help people understand that jokes shouldn't be explained, because the joke will die, or more specifically, become unfunny. So, just like when a frog dies when you dissect it, so does a joke when you dissect, or explain it.

I must spread some comments around......

CameronBornAndBred
11-15-2017, 01:45 PM

This needs some more explanation. Are you dissecting the frog while it is still alive? Or is it dead and you are saying that it died first then you are going to cut it up. Can a joke be dead before it gets sliced and diced? Or does the joke have to be funny at first, then die because you are explaining why it is funny?

Either way, I'm reporting you to PETA.

Henderson
11-15-2017, 01:45 PM
Vigil's Eyeneid went on for almost 10,000 lines. If this goes past 100, everyone should have to post in dactylic hexameter.

El_Diablo
11-15-2017, 01:49 PM

Your biology teacher sounds kind of messed up. In my class the frog was already dead when I dissected it.

BandAlum83
11-15-2017, 01:49 PM
hmmm...i hear nike shoes may or may not be to blame.

I thought it was that new Duke flooring. Not enough spring, or too much!

BandAlum83
11-15-2017, 01:54 PM

It's impossible to dissect a jumping frog, but if you boil it first, it can be done.

That's totally why you have to put a frog into a pot of cold water and then heat it instead of putting it into a pot of boiling water..you get it! Cold water = the frog dies, Boiling water and the frog jumps out, which isn't funny! Dead frogs = funny, jumping frogs = unfunny, like a dying joke.

mgtr
11-15-2017, 01:55 PM
I think we need a fuller, more complete explanation about frogs and when exactly they die. Then it might be a dead frog technical!

slower
11-15-2017, 01:55 PM
Any frog anywhere is funnier than any pun that has ever appeared here.

DBR - where amateur comedians go to die.

El_Diablo
11-15-2017, 01:57 PM
Fun fact: frogs live on both land and water--they're ambidextrous!

uh_no
11-15-2017, 02:01 PM

I dunno...I find a joke explained in a very deadpan way can be a humor of it's own.

ranantha1
11-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Glad to hear the prognosis is positive, but let's not forget our own Jon Scheyer who's career basically ended due to an eye injury.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 03:00 PM
This needs some more explanation. Are you dissecting the frog while it is still alive? Or is it dead and you are saying that it died first then you are going to cut it up. Can a joke be dead before it gets sliced and diced? Or does the joke have to be funny at first, then die because you are explaining why it is funny?

Either way, I'm reporting you to PETA.

Not a frog, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nSwRVR0sI

OldPhiKap
11-15-2017, 03:41 PM

You don’t like to be ribb(it)ed?

OldPhiKap
11-15-2017, 03:43 PM
I dunno...I find a joke explained in a very deadpan way can be a humor of it's own.

“See, they’re called ‘The Aristocrats’ because . . . .”

Reilly
11-15-2017, 03:52 PM
You don’t like to be ribb(it)ed?

You might be leaping to conclusions as to what the poster finds funny.

rasputin
11-15-2017, 04:09 PM
You might be leaping to conclusions as to what the poster finds funny.

We all have our warts.

JStuart
11-15-2017, 04:20 PM
I think we need a fuller, more complete explanation about frogs and when exactly they die. Then it might be a dead frog technical!

Schroedinger's Frog? (I don't know how to do umlauts in DBR, sorry).

BD80
11-15-2017, 04:24 PM
I'm not sure I'd want to live there, but Ricky Gervais is funnier than a scratched cornea.

Not when hosting award shows ...

Why do I get the feeling I'm in a vat of cold water?

DBR - where you'll find: "dead frog = funny"

JStuart
11-15-2017, 04:42 PM

All right, I was hoping the Duke trainers would announce better information by now, so here's a basic primer on eye surface injuries.
I have no information on Bagley's injury other than what we all saw on TV, and what we've heard so far.
Read that last sentence again.
Now, what I think is that he had a conjunctival abrasion, with the blunt finger trauma to the globe, and it could have extended to include the corneal surface, causing an abraded epithelial surface.
A pure corneal abrasion (scratched cornea) wouldn't have caused the inferior redness on the lower conjunctival surface, and wouldn't cause the amount of lid swelling seen, and reported by Coach K. It would have been painful, and would have blurred his acuity. I would have thought he would have been patched to make him comfortable, and allow healing -hopefully overnight. The trainers could have used a bandage contact lens also, which would have avoided the tight gauze patch, and I have no knowledge of how they approach this type of injury, and I'm sure they see them and have a protocol.
A pure conjunctival abrasion would become comfortable more quickly, might not require bandaging, and could explain why he was saying he couldn't see after the initial 'digital massage' he got from Delaurier.
I'm certain he got a thorough exam this AM at the Eye Center, and should be fine...he just won't look as handsome for a week or so. Subconjunctival hemorrhage can take a couple of weeks to absorb, even though everything else is back to normal.
Again, I have no other knowledge, but this isn't Scheyer-level of injury, thankfully.
JStuart, Duke Eye Center HS, '78-'81.

weezie
11-15-2017, 05:00 PM
Vigil's Eyeneid went on for almost 10,000 lines. If this goes past 100, everyone should have to post in dactylic hexameter.

No other internets board has ever, nor will it ever, see this statement again. This is a Duke post, although, I'm sure some Hahvahd wag might want to claim it was stolen from them.

DukieInKansas
11-15-2017, 05:22 PM
Your biology teacher sounds kind of messed up. In my class the frog was already dead when I dissected it.

We had to pith the frog and then dissect it. I couldn't do the pithing part.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 06:16 PM
We had to pith the frog and then dissect it. I couldn't do the pithing part.

I found myself doing a fair amount of pithing (and moaning and cursing) at the men in black (and white) last PM.

plimnko
11-15-2017, 07:31 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coach-k-gives-marvin-bagley-044639496.html

OldPhiKap
11-15-2017, 07:38 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/coach-k-gives-marvin-bagley-044639496.html

He went on after that clip to say that it would be evaluated today (duh, I guess) but I have not heard an official update today. Did I miss it?

SilkyJ
11-15-2017, 09:35 PM
He's signing the wrong name because he can't see very well out of one eye but got the M and the B correct.

(never mind)

No my fault. Sorry I’m slow today...although I don’t think ur post was exactly an English sentence, which confused me ;)

devildeac
11-15-2017, 10:10 PM
No my fault. Sorry I’m slow today...although I don’t think ur post was exactly an English sentence, which confused me ;)

Sorry about the sentence. It has a noun and a verb. I think. I also got a C+ in freshman English at Duke but we were carving the symbols on stone tablets when I attended. :o

OldPhiKap
11-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Sorry about the sentence. It has a noun and a verb. I think. I also got a C+ in freshman English at Duke but we were carving the symbols on stone tablets when I attended. :o

Use semicolons liberally. They smack of intellect; they breathe an impressive air into your pronouncements; and no one knows whether you use; them; correctly.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 10:29 PM
Use semicolons liberally. They smack of intellect; they breathe an impressive air into your pronouncements; and no one knows whether you use; them; correctly.

Many; thanks.

devildeac
11-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Many; thanks.

OTOH, a semicolon can be used to represent a wink, or, now that I think about it, a person who has been poked in the eye. :(

A valiant attempt at straying back on topic. :o

OldPhiKap
11-15-2017, 10:41 PM
OTOH, a semicolon can be used to represent a wink, or, now that I think about it, a person who has been poked in the eye. :(

A valiant attempt at straying back on topic. :o

A wink’s as good as a nod to a blind bat.

Say no more.

Oh, and on topic: apparently no news since K’s post-game presser? No reports of seeing him in an eye patch or boot on campus? Nothing?!?

Newton_14
11-15-2017, 11:09 PM
I found myself doing a fair amount of pithing (and moaning and cursing) at the men in black (and white) last PM.
College refs not good at what they do? Shut the Front Door! Surely it was legal for the Mich St kid to grab Carter's jersey while also like BandAlum opined, trying the back door trip! Had that been Grayson on either side of the fence on that one, the interwebs would have melted!

IrishDevil
11-15-2017, 11:46 PM

No other internets board has ever, nor will it ever, see this statement again. This is a Duke post, although, I'm sure some Hahvahd wag might want to claim it was stolen from them.

Well, that was #101, so...

No final news is forthcoming yet; let's hope that he's okay.
Odd that Coach K gave us info already. Marvin, please heal soon!

One only hopes that this minor event means this season is "over"
much as it was back in 2001 with that dang metatarsal.

O, weauxing gods, forbear, and deny further harm to the devils!
Let this year's squad take revenge for the hurts that afflicted Duke last year.

Let Marvin heal, please speed Duke on to April's first weekend!
Bring home the hardware, men, take up your spot in the rafters!

LasVegas
11-16-2017, 01:54 AM
Official confirmation

proelitedota
11-16-2017, 01:59 AM
Official confirmation

Now add the stump on his right foot and he'll be a true Duke pirate! :eek:

AtlDuke72
11-16-2017, 04:32 AM
Now add the stump on his right foot and he'll be a true Duke pirate! :eek:

Maybe Kareem will loan him one of the goggles he wore while with the Lakers.

OldPhiKap
11-16-2017, 07:03 AM
Bagley could pull off the Kirt Rambis look. Not many can.

BD80
11-16-2017, 07:20 AM

English?!? Hold my beer, youngin. I learned the alphabet in Sumerian!

OldPhiKap
11-16-2017, 07:36 AM
English?!? Hold my beer, youngin. I learned the alphabet in Sumerian!

UnclePK wrote a cuneiform dictionary in his earlier days. Truth.

BandAlum83
11-16-2017, 10:08 AM

Say no more.

Oh, and on topic: apparently no news since K’s post-game presser? No reports of seeing him in an eye patch or boot on campus? Nothing?!?

Two winks and two nudges; OTOH......know what I mean?

BandAlum83
11-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Say no more.

I'm expecting a helmet; not an eye; patch

BandAlum83
11-16-2017, 10:10 AM
College refs not good at what they do? Shut the Front Door! Surely it was legal for the Mich St kid to grab Carter's jersey while also like BandAlum opined, trying the back door trip! Had that been Grayson on either side of the fence on that one, the interwebs would have melted!

I like that description! And thanks for the shout out :)

Feel free to discuss on the next podcast, lol

swood1000
11-16-2017, 10:13 AM

But puns are intended to provoke groans, not laughter.

swood1000
11-16-2017, 10:45 AM
But puns are intended to provoke groans, not laughter.
I don't mean to pondificate.

devildeac
11-16-2017, 10:55 AM

Say no more.

Eye patch? Pffft. At Duke, they'll put that injury in a boot :rolleyes:

budwom
11-16-2017, 12:00 PM
I'll feel a lot better once we get word about the presumed visit to the eye doc...I didn't interpret K's "he'll be fine" comment to have been based on a true ophthamologist eye exam, but maybe I'm wrong.
Given Duke's recent injury bug experiences, I need reassurance. e.g. I remember when Kyrie's toe was going to be fine...

uh_no
11-16-2017, 01:03 PM
I'll feel a lot better once we get word about the presumed visit to the eye doc...I didn't interpret K's "he'll be fine" comment to have been based on a true ophthamologist eye exam, but maybe I'm wrong.
Given Duke's recent injury bug experiences, I need reassurance. e.g. I remember when Kyrie's toe was going to be fine...

I'm pretty sure if history of saying "he won't be back" and then players coming back is any indication, if K says that he will be fine, he'll come back with X-ray vision.

Also did he ever say kyrie's toe was going to be fine?

budwom
11-16-2017, 04:11 PM
I'm pretty sure if history of saying "he won't be back" and then players coming back is any indication, if K says that he will be fine, he'll come back with X-ray vision.

ah yes, I do remember when K said about Brand after the broken foot "in my mind he's gone for the year," which contained a whole lot of wiggle room.
No, I do not recall K saying Kyrie would be fine, but others did, just because (I imagine) how bad can a toe injury possibly be???

Moments ago just saw word that Bagley will in fact play Friday, so we can put the eye patch, the parrot and wooden leg back in storage.

cato
11-16-2017, 04:17 PM
Moments ago just saw word that Bagley will in fact play Friday, so we can put the eye patch, the parrot and wooden leg back in storage.

Out of curiousity, where did you see this? I have not replace Laura Keeley’s Twitter feed as a good source of info.

sagegrouse
11-16-2017, 04:24 PM

K couldn't talk about "Kyrie's toe." It is not generally known, but there was a pact with the Devil (the real one, not the Blue one) before the Butler-Duke game for the national championship. In return for Duke's winning, our best player would become injured next year in the scheduled game against Butler at the foreboding Meadowlands (Hoffas disappearance, etc.). K was forbidden to talk about "the deal with the Devil."

budwom
11-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Out of curiousity, where did you see this? I have not replace Laura Keeley’s Twitter feed as a good source of info.

forwarded to me by a friend, seems to be a tweet from ESPNU Radio...

devildeac
11-16-2017, 04:27 PM
ah yes, I do remember when K said about Brand after the broken foot "in my mind he's gone for the year," which contained a whole lot of wiggle room.
No, I do not recall K saying Kyrie would be fine, but others did, just because (I imagine) how bad can a toe injury possibly be???

Don't forget the hook:

proelitedota
11-16-2017, 04:30 PM

Good call on him keeping his hook because it's unstoppable.

jimsumner
11-16-2017, 06:46 PM
RE: Kyrie Irving's toe injury.

We were originally told it would keep him out for a couple of weeks.

If only.

Lunchab1es
11-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Here you go:

https://mobile.twitter.com/espnuonsiriusxm/status/931235531291283457

proelitedota
11-16-2017, 08:36 PM
I think all of our big men should wear protective eyewear for the rest of the season. Can't hurt to protect ourselves. :rolleyes:

BD80
11-16-2017, 10:17 PM
I think all of our big men should wear protective eyewear for the rest of the season. Can't hurt to protect ourselves. :rolleyes:

Head to toe bubble wrap ...

Whole new meaning to pick-n-pop

CameronBornAndBred
11-16-2017, 10:49 PM
Head to toe bubble wrap ...

Whole new meaning to pick-n-pop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZhVjFevpZs

OldPhiKap
11-17-2017, 06:41 AM
Something more official than a second-hand tweet — Bagley cleared to play tonight:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article185142988.html

plimnko
11-17-2017, 06:47 AM
Something more official than a second-hand tweet — Bagley cleared to play tonight:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article185142988.html

so, can we consider this vigil over???

Reilly
11-17-2017, 11:38 PM

2017 version of Bill Brill's 'I was in the room'.