PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 11-14-17

jimsumner
11-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Senior day coming up, so I'll let some seniors go first.

Austin Davis.

"It's a real feeling knowing it's our senior day. Five years has gone by real fast. But Saturday is a wonderful opportunity. Even with the troubles we've had, we still have a chance to go to a bowl game. So, there's still a lot to fight for. I know all of our guys are rallying around that, rallying around the seniors, because it's our last chance to play at Wallace Wade Stadium.

We've got two games left and we have to get to six, that's what we're fighting for, that's our goal. That's been our goal the whole year, to get to a bowl game and win a bowl game. It's a two-game season now."

Mike Ramsay. "As leaders most of the load has to fall on us, not just to play well but to keep people motivated. There were some good things done [against Army] but also some critical errors that we definitely have to get cleaned up, especially me personally."

GT throwing the ball more than Army. "I think that's actually good for us, going back to what we normally do, attacking an offense. Against a triple-option team, you can sit back and prepare for cut blocks and things like that and get passive."

Bryon Fields. On Tech's passing. "As a defensive back, you always have to prepare for the pass first. It's a different mentality from Army. Georgia Tech has gotten a lot of explosive plays against us off the passing game. So, we're aware of that and practicing against it. You have to have good eyes and be locked in and understand that we have to limit those explosives in the passing game."

Last home game? It definitely snuck up on me. The emotions haven't set in. I'm just 100 percent focused on getting this win, which we need badly. That's been the emphasis this week, getting the team ready to go. But I know I'll have some emotions coming out of the gate Saturday afternoon."

Now to Cutcliffe.

"When you can't sleep, you might as well work."

"The only way to get to six [wins] is to get to five. You can call it pressure or a sense of urgency. But you can only take care of the present. The highest form of sanity is staying in the moment."

"We've been shooting ourselves in the foot. Whatever the circumstances are, there are ways out of them. We've got to find the right recipe."

Duke has done a good job of stopping Tech's run game in recent games but has been hurt by passes. Cutcliffe says it is easy to become so focused on stopping the run, that you over-commit to that. Duke has been working hard in practice on maintaining defensive balance. "You have to be disciplined, defeat blocks and tackle well. There are no easy answers."

Cut also praised GT's Paul Johnson for his ability to adapt to what the defense is doing.

Duke's recent personal foul penalties? No excuses from Cut. Wilson (VT) and Cerenord (Army) were described as response penalties. Joe Giles-Harris is aggressive and frustrated and let that carry over. "The moment can get you. We're not going to be that way."

The blocked punt against Army? Parker got the punt off in time. Army's guy just broke the shield. His intensity beat Duke's intensity.

Cut said he expected to get 35 plus points against Army. Not getting it in the end zone after that early drive set a bad tone.

Duke has turned to show team lose against the offense in practice this week, lots of blitzing. Duke has not done a good job of defending blitzes and that's not because of one person or position group. Systemic failure.

Like all good coaches, Cut accepts blame for defeats and gives credit to the players for victories. So, there was lots of falling on the sword from the head coach. Cut insists that things will turn around for this team and it has to be ready for it and insists that the program is in good shape.

Doesn't look good for Humphreys for Saturday. But other than that, Duke came out of the Army game in good shape.

Every football team has a bunch of redshirt juniors, players on track to graduate but with another year of eligibility. So, before the final home game, it's always interesting to see the list of players who will be introduced as seniors, a list that includes redshirt juniors not returning.

There are four: Trip McNeil, Zach Muniz, Danny Doyle and Tinashe Bere.

Returnees include the obvious, key players like Zach Harmon or Davis Koppenhaver. Christian Harris played himself into a fifth year when Gabe Brandner was out.

Two surprises, to me, are Trevon Lee and Nico Pierre. Presumably Duke is seeing enough from them in practice to justify their return.

And it's not like they asked.

Half-past three on Saturday for the Techsters. All of the cool people will be there.

Bob Green
11-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Thanks again for posting these notes each Tuesday!

"The only way to get to six [wins] is to get to five. You can call it pressure or a sense of urgency. But you can only take care of the present. The highest form of sanity is staying in the moment."

Beating Georgia Tech is priority #1. Coach Cutcliffe seems focused, hopefully the rest of the staff and players are equally focused.

Two surprises, to me, are Trevon Lee and Nico Pierre. Presumably Duke is seeing enough from them in practice to justify their return.

I'm very surprised Trevon Lee is coming back. He has one career reception.

Devil549
11-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Must win two in a row......tough year with 2 tough games to end it......GT needs win to get to 6......Coach Cut said it best “best way to get to 6 is to win 5”.