PDA

View Full Version : Grayson Allen's Article on the Players' Tribune

elvis14
11-14-2017, 11:22 AM
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/grayson-allen-duke-basketball/

As if I needed something to make me a bigger fan of this kid...

elvis14
11-14-2017, 11:30 AM
So many good quotes. Here's one that I think many here have expressed in one way or another over the years:

That first day of public speaking class, I was asked why I decided to come to Duke. At the time, it seemed really simple: It’s Duke. Come on. If you love basketball, and you have the chance to go to Duke, then you’re going to Duke.

bullettoothtony
11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
That is an outstanding article. One of the best I've read.

Thank you for linking it.

atoomer0881
11-14-2017, 12:51 PM
So many good quotes. Here's one that I think many here have expressed in one way or another over the years:

That first day of public speaking class, I was asked why I decided to come to Duke. At the time, it seemed really simple: It’s Duke. Come on. If you love basketball, and you have the chance to go to Duke, then you’re going to Duke.

My favorite quote was:

"I stayed at Duke because, like most college students, I still have some growing up to do — and because there’s nowhere else I’d rather do it.

I’m back at Duke because I never left."

It's something that those "journalists" at ESPN seem to forget often... that these are just kids. And kids make mistakes sometimes. And there's no place else I'd rather watch Grayson grow up this year than here at Duke. Hoping he can leave the same way he came in -- as a champion.

OZ
11-14-2017, 01:52 PM
A really great read about one of my all-time favorite players.

But, just a side note from something Grayson pointed out in the article... "Quinn was the oldest guy on the team. He was our captain — our heart and soul."

In 2015, the media attention was most often on T Jones, Okafor and Winslow. But as I watched that team, it seemed that the deciding factor was the glue that held things together... and that was Quinn. I think that is the one piece that's been missing since... no one stepped up to take his place. Perhaps, in the person of Grayson, we have that again this year. One can hope.

Kedsy
11-14-2017, 01:55 PM
I think that is the one piece that's been missing since... no one stepped up to take his place.

Why do you think Marshall Plumlee, Amile Jefferson, and Matt Jones weren't that guy?

OZ
11-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Why do you think Marshall Plumlee, Amile Jefferson, and Matt Jones weren't that guy?

Just my opinion from what I observed. I am sure you have your own.

BandAlum83
11-14-2017, 02:17 PM
Why should an article like this bring a tear to a grown man's eye? That's just silly. Really.

elvis14
11-14-2017, 02:37 PM
Why should an article like this bring a tear to a grown man's eye? That's just silly. Really.

I have no idea what you are talking about. On an unrelated note, just before I read that article I think someone put some onions under my desk or something....

Dukehky
11-14-2017, 02:46 PM

Are you being snarky or are you asking for opinions?

The key difference is that Quinn was reliable on both ends of the floor. He was our best defender in the tournament. He did a phenomenal job on every good guard that we played. K said after the tournament, the coaches would say, what are we going to do to stop Wright, or Pangos, and K would just say, put Quinn on them. He was also our second leading scorer the entire year and our clutch free throw shooter.

I think there is a real difference based on his ability on the court to garner respect for leadership both on and off the court.

Amile was really good both offensively and defensively by the end, but he wasn't Quinn. I didn't think Jefferson set the same kind of example on the court that Quinn did. He complained. A LOT. Not that I really care, still love the kid.

Billy Dat
11-14-2017, 02:54 PM
I really hope this kid goes out with a bang this year, starting tonight in an event where he has never shown well. A big night tonight lights the candle!

BandAlum83
11-14-2017, 02:58 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about. On an unrelated note, just before I read that article I think someone put some onions under my desk or something...

It's ragweed season (or something, I'm sure)

Kedsy
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Are you being snarky or are you asking for opinions?

The key difference is that Quinn was reliable on both ends of the floor. He was our best defender in the tournament. He did a phenomenal job on every good guard that we played. K said after the tournament, the coaches would say, what are we going to do to stop Wright, or Pangos, and K would just say, put Quinn on them. He was also our second leading scorer the entire year and our clutch free throw shooter.

I think there is a real difference based on his ability on the court to garner respect for leadership both on and off the court.

Amile was really good both offensively and defensively by the end, but he wasn't Quinn. I didn't think Jefferson set the same kind of example on the court that Quinn did. He complained. A LOT. Not that I really care, still love the kid.

I was asking for opinions, but I think it's possible some people's opinions are colored by NCAA tournament results. If, for example, the 2017 team had won the championship and the 2015 team had lost to Utah (we only won by 6 points and Utah hit only 25% of their threes instead of the 40+% they shot for the season), I think we'd probably be talking about how wonderful Amile's and Matt's leadership was and how Quinn made a lot of complaining faces when things didn't go his way.

Senior leadership is great. I just don't think Quinn's stood out so much over guys like Amile and Matt and Marshall Plumlee. It's just that Quinn's team won a few more games in the Tournament.

CDu
11-14-2017, 03:29 PM
I was asking for opinions, but I think it's possible some people's opinions are colored by NCAA tournament results. If, for example, the 2017 team had won the championship and the 2015 team had lost to Utah (we only won by 6 points and Utah hit only 25% of their threes instead of the 40+% they shot for the season), I think we'd probably be talking about how wonderful Amile's and Matt's leadership was and how Quinn made a lot of complaining faces when things didn't go his way.

Senior leadership is great. I just don't think Quinn's stood out so much over guys like Amile and Matt and Marshall Plumlee. It's just that Quinn's team won a few more games in the Tournament.

To be fair, people were talking up Cook's contributions/leadership throughout the second half of 2015 (i.e., prior to the championship), which supports OZ's point. To be equally fair, folks were doing the same for Matt Jones last year though (prior to the early exit), which supports your point.

To me, Jefferson and Plumlee (for different reasons) never seemed to be the leadership guy in the way that Cook and Jones did. But I do think we had the leadership the last two years, though, in the form of Matt Jones (both years). The main difference in end result was the 2015 team was a bit more complete than either the 2016 or 2017 teams were. There weren't really any holes on the 2015 team. The 2016 team lacked depth and a PG. The 2017 team lacked health/continuity and a PG.

elvis14
11-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Another great quote:

Some nights after practice my freshman year, I would wait around the basketball facility until people cleared out. When it was mostly empty, I’d go sit alone in the stands at Cameron. I’d take some time to look around and try to make sense of the fact that I was actually there. I was a basketball player at Duke — the place where Grant Hill and J.J. Redick had played. I was blessed to be part of that brotherhood. I almost expected to wake up in my bedroom as a 12-year-old, being told the dream was over and it was time to go to middle school. It was hard for me to feel like I belonged at such a special place. Surreal … surreal.

AGDukesky
11-14-2017, 03:56 PM
Great stuff!

ChillinDuke
11-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Just an awesome letter. Really puts things in perspective. The timing of its publication seems completely on point - just as we get ready to tip the biggest game(s) of the young season. The unofficial "tip-off" event for college hoops.

For what my opinion is worth (not much), I too thought Quinn stood out above the rest. Is part of that being colored by NCAA tournament results? Probably. But it's also the way he carried himself on the floor in ways like coining the phrase "best backcourt" as motivation for Tyus that year, setting out to improve his fitness preseason and hit the 5:00 mile (which I believe is a rare feat amongst the Duke Bball Brotherhood?), and stepping to a more off-ball role while letting Tyus take the spotlight as Duke's point guard.

There is definitely some NCAA tournament coloring my view, but Quinn was an exceptional leader and really stood out on his merits. More so than I can point to compared to others.

- Chillin

OZ
11-14-2017, 05:14 PM

"I was asking for opinions"

I shared mine; and as you have pointed out, you have yours. And that's absolutely fine. Neither has to be right or wrong. I suspect there are enough STATS to support most any opinion.
I have played basketball and refed a few games. However, as a fan, I tend to shy away from the technical X's and O's and watch for the players' interactions... not only on the floor but the bench as well. Long BEFORE the NCAA tournament, IMO, there was something special about Quinn and his relationship with that team. I thought Grayson summed it up rather well ... "Quinn was the heart and soul."

I also recall an article published just prior to the quarter finals written by Joe Menzer in BR, that states my thoughts much better than I could ever expressed them:
"There are leaders in sports. And then there are leaders who are so good that over amazingly short periods of time, they teach others around them to lead as well.
That’s the way it has been this year for Cook, a senior guard seemingly surrounded at all times by freshmen, on and off the court. And these are no wide-eyed freshmen. They’ve become leaders too."

And from that same team came this insight from Tyrus:
""He’s meant a lot to me. He’s been a big brother to me since the first day I stepped on campus. He welcomed me with open arms. It says a lot about him for him to do what he’s done this year, especially for me. For him to have been the point guard for this team for the past three years and help me out the way he’s helped me out and be the teammate he’s been, it says a lot about who he is not only on the court, but off the court.”"

Most here are fans, who love this school and form attachments and/or opinions about certain teams as well as certain players. My opinion - and perhaps mine alone - is that Quinn was a special person and player, both on and off the court. He was an ever running motor and fun to watch. But what I loved most was watching him interact with the other players... laughing, encouraging, teaching, supporting, congratulating, and playing his heart out. He was a leader in more ways than one.

At the end of 2015, coach K said...""It's amazing. I have four great freshman, but they're led by a great senior in Quinn Cook. Quinn set the table for these kids, where they always felt comfortable; they always felt like they had a big brother there for them. Our MVP for this team is Quinn Cook."

Again, I refer back to this amazing article on Grayson... and the one he referenced as to making a difference in his life... "Quinn was the heart and soul."

I think we once again have someone special in Grayson. No matter how far we go, in the end, I suspect he will teach these freshmen more than basketball.
Just my opinion.

KShip21
11-15-2017, 09:29 AM
i really hope this kid goes out with a bang this year, starting tonight in an event where he has never shown well. A big night tonight lights the candle!

bang!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Something worth noting... We can all agree that the media gave disproportionate attention to Allen's struggles last year. The media loves a good villain.
But, the media also loves a redemption story. If Allen can play out of his mind while keeping his composure, we may see a very different narrative about our senior leader as the season progresses.

That's my hope.