PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Utah Valley (Sat, 11/11, 7pm, ACC Ntwk Xtra) Pre/In-Game Thread

JBDuke
11-10-2017, 09:21 PM
On to game #2! Much bigger team coming in to Cameron tomorrow night, but after expending a lot of energy sticking with Kentucky for a half or so and then getting on a plane to Durham, we'll see what they have left in the tank.

Bob Green
11-11-2017, 07:18 AM
One of the commentators last evening, I believe it was Gerald Henderson but I am not certain, pointed out that consistency is an unknown with freshmen so it will be interesting to see if our youngsters can put together solid back-to-back performances. I'm looking for more out of Wendell Carter, Jr tonight as he was saddled with early foul trouble against Elon so he never got into the flow of the game.

du_bb1
11-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Also to watch the evolution of Duval--8 pts, 8 assists-NO to and 3 steals-not to mention one sweet behind the back pass to Bagley.
Other than that pass quietly very efficient.

rsvman
11-11-2017, 08:31 AM
They didn't "stick with Kentucky for a half or so." They were ahead by double digits at one point and led at the half. They were down only six points with 15 seconds remaining in the game.

They "stuck with" Kentucky for the entire game.

They played a lot of full court press and "havoc" defense that produced a lot of trouble for the Wildcats. I only saw the last bit but they also appear to have at least one or two very good athletes on their team, one of which made a stunning block of a McDonald's All-American near the rim.

I think we will prevail, and I don't think Utah Valley can be that good and that intense two nights in a row, but this will be a very different test. If they go with havoc again it will be interesting to see how the team, and Duval in particular, handles it.

I an looking forward to tonight's game.

rsvman
11-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Just read the front-page article about the UVU team. Near the end, JB writes that he is not sure whether the other player named Toolson is also related to Danny Ainge. To clarify, the two Toolson players on the team are first cousins. So, he is related, at least tangentially.

BandAlum83
11-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Go Duke!!!

Tripping William
11-11-2017, 05:45 PM
Just read the front-page article about the UVU team. Near the end, JB writes that he is not sure whether the other player named Toolson is also related to Danny Ainge. To clarify, the two Toolson players on the team are first cousins. So, he is related, at least tangentially.

They also (almost) have to be related to Andy Toolson, a really good BYU player in the immediate post-Ainge era. He played for the Jazz for a time, too. One of the most textbook jump-shooting forms you’ll ever see.

Henderson
11-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Not only is Utah Valley a big team, it's an old team. Of the 16 players listed on their roster, 13 are transfers. They have 2 grad students and 2 redshirt seniors.

-jk
11-11-2017, 06:05 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

accfanfrom1970
11-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Burgess is connected to Utah valley?

Tripping William
11-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Burgess is connected to Utah valley?

I believe he is an assistant coach there.

Troublemaker
11-11-2017, 06:44 PM
From pregame radio, Marques is feeling much better, will be suiting up, and may play a few minutes tonight.

Would be nice. I don't want his first minutes this season to be against MSU.

riverside6
11-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Utah Valley, starters posted...
https://www.scacchoops.com/utah-valley-u-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-11112017

rsvman
11-11-2017, 07:11 PM
These guys are pretty good.

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Well the only good thing I can say is the FT shooting is better

slower
11-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Reality check. What's up with Duval on the bench for so long? No offensive boards at all.

jv001
11-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Waiting to see at what point there will be a jumping off the ship. UTV is for real but we're better. I'm surprised to see so much dribbling east and west. GoDuke1

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Nice run and Grayson still hasn’t scored

NM Duke Fan
11-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Reality check. What's up with Duval on the bench for so long? No offensive boards at all.

Probably wiser than picking up a 3rd foul this early in the game, ditto with Grayson!

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 07:35 PM
I wonder if there will be another game this year where three players make a three for Duke before Allen hits one...

jipops
11-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Carter playing like a man out there. Very promising 2 way big.

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 07:43 PM
Awful last couple of minutes after that blown 2 on 1 should have made it a 17 point lead.

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 07:55 PM
After it all played out, the only big complaint is defensive rebounding surprisingly

LasVegas
11-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Bagley and Carter really impress me and it’s evident Duval can’t shoot worth a lick.

MChambers
11-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Boy, is he special! Best Duke freshman since Irving, I’d say, and maybe better than Irving. If he can keep improving that shot (and the three from the corner gives me hope), his ceiling is past the roof.

Carter is awfully good, too.

Acymetric
11-11-2017, 08:37 PM
For those watching at home, what happened to the UVU player who went down?

InSpades
11-11-2017, 08:40 PM

He took a pretty hard charge, possibly an elbow to the face and he hit the ground pretty hard falling backwards. Nothing malicious but he certainly took the worse of the collision.

MChambers
11-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Caught an inadvertent forearm by Trent to his head.

curtis325
11-11-2017, 08:41 PM

Looks like a concussion. Back of his head hit the floor.

TheOldBattleship
11-11-2017, 08:47 PM
There's going to be a lot written about Bagley/Allen, and justifiably so, but I want to give Duval a shoutout; he's been phenomenal tonight (and was last game, too). He obviously is just not going to spread the floor, but he's been great moving off-ball tonight. He's such a threat off-ball as a cutter, especially given how good Bagley, Carter, and Bolden are passing out of the post, that he creates gravity even without being even a slight three-point threat. And for him to be willing to be a passer without needing to take over the game is very impressive. His assist/turnover numbers are going to be a big tell for how we look this year, I think. If he can get into double digits in assists with any regularity, we aren't going to lose many games this year.

Selover
11-11-2017, 08:52 PM
There's going to be a lot written about Bagley/Allen, and justifiably so, but I want to give Duval a shoutout; he's been phenomenal tonight (and was last game, too). He obviously is just not going to spread the floor, but he's been great moving off-ball tonight. He's such a threat off-ball as a cutter, especially given how good Bagley, Carter, and Bolden are passing out of the post, that he creates gravity even without being even a slight three-point threat. And for him to be willing to be a passer without needing to take over the game is very impressive. His assist/turnover numbers are going to be a big tell for how we look this year, I think. If he can get into double digits in assists with any regularity, we aren't going to lose many games this year.

That one handed bounce pass on the break to Grayson was amazing. Grayson's finish wasn't too bad either!

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Duval has been great. He would have completely changed the look of last year’s team.