PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, R.J. Barrett!

kAzE
11-10-2017, 06:19 PM
Getting the #1 player is starting to become routine. Welcome to the brotherhood!

pfrduke
Woohoo!

Devilwin
RJ Barrett coming to Duke.

curtis325
Nice!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Woot! Smart young man making good choices.

mgtr
11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Announcement was well done, not drawn out like some. Welcome!

OldPhiKap
11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Welcome, sir!

DukeTrinity11
11-10-2017, 06:25 PM
This kid highhandedly dominated Team USA in the FIBA U18 summer championship; I see a little Kobe in him. Besides a healthy Giles, I think this is the highest upside recruit Duke has ever had.

:cool::cool::cool:

mattman91
11-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Hope he doesn't change his mind in grade 13.

proelitedota
11-10-2017, 06:27 PM
All the recruits we got in the past year:

Wendell Carter
GTJ
Jordan Goldwire
Jordan Tucker
Trevon Duvall
Marvin Bagley
Cameron Reddish
Tre Jones
Joey Baker
RJ Barret

That's an NBA team plus some front court subs.

Troublemaker
My favorite of his mixtapes due to the epic orchestral music accompanying his FIBA heroics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5oW_IcDVMM

For the French Canadians on here (or anyone who speaks French, I suppose), here's a very good breakdown (including critical analysis) of his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g3ohnmeNoY

Welcome to Duke, RJ!!!

kAzE

2018 class so far. Only 1 team in the country has a top 6 recruit to this point . . . and we have 3 of them.

NSDukeFan
11-10-2017, 06:33 PM
Since you have allowed this Canajun on your board for 10ish years, it’s only fair that Duke gets something in return.

Woohoo! Very exciting news!

OldPhiKap
11-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Since you have allowed this Canajun on your board for 10ish years, it’s only fair that Duke gets something in return.

Woohoo! Very exciting news!

Can you send some smoked salmon too, and maybe some reasonably priced medicines? Asking, y’know, for a friend and all.

kostar
11-10-2017, 06:36 PM

Tripping William
11-10-2017, 06:40 PM
Can you send some smoked salmon too, and maybe some reasonably priced medicines? Asking, y’know, for a friend and all.

And poutine, please (says the “friend”).

BD80
11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Amazing news!!!

Welcome RJ!

The staff is recruiting quality kids at a ridiculously high level/rate. The investments in the basketball facilities and the strategic foresight to include the various sports medicine aspects of Duke and the next gen technology have really paid off.

Having the GOAT on the bench doesn't hurt ...

budwom
11-10-2017, 06:45 PM

and pretty soon they'll be selling that green herbivorous medicine up there, too!

MCFinARL
11-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Announcement was well done, not drawn out like some. Welcome!

Somewhere, Tony Parker is still announcing his college choice....

sagegrouse
11-10-2017, 06:56 PM

I believe NSDukeFan knows a thing or two about meds.

weezie
11-10-2017, 06:58 PM
Wonderful news! What fun!

Dukeblue91
11-10-2017, 07:09 PM
Welcome to Duke R.J!

Billy Dat
11-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Amazing news!!!

Welcome RJ!

The staff is recruiting quality kids at a ridiculously high level/rate. The investments in the basketball facilities and the strategic foresight to include the various sports medicine aspects of Duke and the next gen technology have really paid off.

Having the GOAT on the bench doesn't hurt ...

Amazing news. Welcome RJ!!!

I hadn’t thought about our facilities and technology-driven training/development being a huge advantage along the elite schools but, now that you mention it, I wonder if we are considered #1 for that kind of stuff. It wouldn’t surprise me if we were.

bluenorth
11-10-2017, 07:21 PM
Glad that Coach K has taken on some Canadian content. It's been a while since the last one - Greg Newton I believe. Bound to turn out better.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-10-2017, 07:40 PM

2018 class so far. Only 1 team in the country has a top 6 recruit to this point . . . and we have 3 of them.

That's pretty crazy.

rsvman
11-10-2017, 07:55 PM
Welcome, RJ!! We are excited to have you!

NSDukeFan
11-10-2017, 08:08 PM

I believe NSDukeFan knows a thing or two about meds.

And OPK knows the law, so maybe he could figure out a legal way to get medications across the border. (For a friend)

BD80
11-10-2017, 08:11 PM
And OPK knows the law, so maybe he could figure out a legal way to get medications across the border. (For a friend)

Here in Deeetroit, we can go under the border to Canada. And we head south to do so ...

NSDukeFan
11-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Here in Deeetroit, we can go under the border to Canada. And we head south to do so ...
Aboot as far south as you can go in Canada.

DavidBenAkiva
11-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Barrett is a big-time get for Duke. We have gotten a lot of great players of late, but every one of them feels special to me. And Barrett seems like he could be among the very best to ever don the jersey. Can't wait to see him in those beautiful blue and white jerseys.

Doria
11-10-2017, 09:11 PM
Awesome news! Welcome to Duke!

juise
11-10-2017, 09:54 PM
Somewhere, Tony Parker is still announcing his college choice...

While sitting on the bench collecting DNP-CD's for Amile's team.

Dukerati
11-10-2017, 10:44 PM
Another amazing get. I'm trying to maintain perspective and not take these for granted, but man, what a recruiting run. Welcome RJ! You chose correctly :)

moonpie23
11-10-2017, 11:09 PM
welcome to the party, pal!!!!!!!

Bluedevil114
11-11-2017, 07:27 AM
So stoked. Three top six already committed. It feels so good to be a Duke fan.

Jackson
11-11-2017, 08:01 AM
So stoked. Three top six already committed. It feels so good to be a Duke fan.

Barrett is a transformational player. He could make next year's team great by himself. I can't help but think, does this guarantee that Gary Trent, Jr. is leaving? Was that already seen as a done deal? Jones, Reddish, Barrett and I assume DeLaurier start. Is Bolden back? Vrankovic? It's weird to even think of next year with this year just starting. With that said, Bagley is a freak of nature. His ceiling has no roof.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Barrett is a transformational player. He could make next year's team great by himself. I can't help but think, does this guarantee that Gary Trent, Jr. is leaving? Was that already seen as a done deal? Jones, Reddish, Barrett and I assume DeLaurier start. Is Bolden back? Vrankovic? It's weird to even think of next year with this year just starting. With that said, Bagley is a freak of nature. His ceiling has no roof.

I would say that after one game, there are no "done deals."

Jackson
11-11-2017, 08:50 AM
I would say that after one game, there are no "done deals."

I wasn't implying that Trent is necessarily ready to go by next season, I was simply wondering where all the pieces would fit if he does come back. I really can't imagine a scenerio in which Trent, Reddish, Barrett and Jones are all starting with one big guy. I also can't imagine any of those players coming off the bench.

moonpie23
11-11-2017, 08:53 AM
wouldn't you think that Zion is watching all this, and thinking.....hmmmmm.....there's something going on here.....???:cool:

nmduke2001
11-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Wendell Carter
GTJ
Jordan Goldwire
Jordan Tucker
Trevon Duvall
Marvin Bagley
Cameron Reddish
Tre Jones
Joey Baker
RJ Barret

Now if they all wore a Duke jersey at the same time, that would be something.

Troublemaker
11-11-2017, 09:13 AM

Gary is considered to be "likely gone" but not a virtual lock like Marvin, Wendell, and Trevon.

Troublemaker
11-11-2017, 09:16 AM
wouldn't you think that Zion is watching all this, and thinking...hmmmmm...there's something going on here...???:cool:

Hopefully Zion will be a spring decision and then we'll have several months for our staff, players, and incoming recruits to sell him on forming a super team in college.

whereinthehellami
11-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I have been enjoying RJ's youtube highlights. He seems like a gamer.

flyingdutchdevil
11-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Only three pages for the #1 recruit in the country? Duke fans are spoiled!

WELCOME TO DUKE, RJ!!!!!

Love your game. Between you and Cameron, Duke has all the backcourt scoring they'll want next year. And the beauty is the versatility. You can play the 2/3. Cameron the 2/3/4. Tre at the 1. Javin at the 4/5. Oh my god, FDD, focus on this year!

Couldn't be happier. This guy can play.

Sirop d'érable and poutine on me!!!

plimnko
11-11-2017, 09:54 AM
I have been enjoying RJ's youtube highlights. He seems like a gamer.

not only a gamer, but i VERY impressive person......a well spoken quality individual......your typical dukie

UrinalCake
11-11-2017, 10:00 AM
I really can't imagine a scenerio in which Trent, Reddish, Barrett and Jones are all starting with one big guy. I also can't imagine any of those players coming off the bench.

Curious why you would say this; I could absolutely see those 4 starting along with Javin. It would be a completely different type of lineup then we're running this year, but more typical of the style K prefers. Four guys who can drive and dish, and five guys who can hit the 3.

moonpie23
11-11-2017, 11:09 AM

I had a glassful of these tears this morning.....they were delicious....

MChambers
11-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Curious why you would say this; I could absolutely see those 4 starting along with Javin. It would be a completely different type of lineup then we're running this year, but more typical of the style K prefers. Four guys who can drive and dish, and five guys who can hit the 3.

Would be a lot of fun to watch!

SkyBrickey
11-11-2017, 11:53 AM

I agree with you. It is a much smaller team than this year, but Barrett, Redish, and Delaurier should all be plus rebounders at their positions. The length, athleticism, and skill sets of that starting 5 should more than compensate for a lack of interior bulk.

We need Delaurier back (very likely, I think) and just one of the following 3 things to happen for next year's team to be every bid as formidable as this year's team, in my opinion: 1) Trent comes back, or 2) Bolden comes back, or 3) we get Zion.

Assuming no transfers, we should have a very solid, experienced bench with Vrank, O'Connell, Tucker, White and Goldwire. And if one of these 5 needs to step into the starting lineup, we should still be a top-5 team next year.

Oh, and welcome to Duke RJ! Proud and excited to have you...

jv001
11-11-2017, 11:54 AM

I had a glassful of these tears this morning...they were delicious...

Gotta spread some sporks, but here's a big GODUKE!!!

Oh and welcome aboard young Mr. Barrett.

superdave
11-11-2017, 12:23 PM

Wendell Carter
GTJ
Jordan Goldwire
Jordan Tucker
Trevon Duvall
Marvin Bagley
Cameron Reddish
Tre Jones
Joey Baker
RJ Barret

I love it! Let's re-visit this post in 2026 and see how they look then. Some All-Stars in the mix for sure.

UrinalCake
11-11-2017, 12:47 PM
LOL at all the UK fans tweeting that K is "ruining" college basketball

BD80
11-11-2017, 01:18 PM
LOL at all the UK fans tweeting that K is "ruining" college basketball

He IS "ruining" college basketball, for UK fans.

JasonEvans
11-11-2017, 01:23 PM

I think there is a strong possibility that the 6-8 Reddish plays at least some of the time as a stretch 4 next year... if we don't get Zion ;)

Jackson
11-11-2017, 01:54 PM
I think there is a strong possibility that the 6-8 Reddish plays at least some of the time as a stretch 4 next year... if we don't get Zion ;)

I always felt that Reddish is more of a perimeter player. If he has that skillset and mindset to play that spot, then everything would fall into place. Again, I feel stupid even talking about this with the season not even underway, but am really excited to see Barrett at Duke next year. Very Kobe-esque.

left_hook_lacey
11-11-2017, 02:42 PM
And poutine, please (says the “friend”).

Going to nawlens for Christmas. Can't wait. I'm gonna come back so fat.

DukieInBrasil
11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
and pretty soon they'll be selling that green herbivorous medicine up there, too!

i don't think you're using the word "herbivorous" correctly, "bud". The medicine does not eat the herb, the medicine IS the herb!

BandAlum83
11-11-2017, 04:50 PM
A very big welcome to the family, young Mr. Barrett!!

gray
11-11-2017, 11:37 PM
The level of recruiting success we’ve experienced recently is incredible! Welcome to Duke, young man!

IrishDevil
11-12-2017, 03:51 AM
i don't think you're using the word "herbivorous" correctly, "bud". The medicine does not eat the herb, the medicine IS the herb!

I love this board. Duke lands the #1 recruit for the third time in the last five classes,and we are parsing herbivorous vs. herbaceous.

Welcome to Duke, RJ! Looking forward to seeing you try to top Marvin's opening to his freshman campaign and enjoying the ride for your season at Duke!

arnie
11-12-2017, 06:01 AM
I agree with you. It is a much smaller team than this year, but Barrett, Redish, and Delaurier should all be plus rebounders at their positions. The length, athleticism, and skill sets of that starting 5 should more than compensate for a lack of interior bulk.

We need Delaurier back (very likely, I think) and just one of the following 3 things to happen for next year's team to be every bid as formidable as this year's team, in my opinion: 1) Trent comes back, or 2) Bolden comes back, or 3) we get Zion.

Assuming no transfers, we should have a very solid, experienced bench with Vrank, O'Connell, Tucker, White and Goldwire. And if one of these 5 needs to step into the starting lineup, we should still be a top-5 team next year.

Oh, and welcome to Duke RJ! Proud and excited to have you...

If Bolden doesn’t come back where does he go? G league or Europe maybe, can’t see him transferring. A year at Duke with less competition at center should be best thing for him.

WVDUKEFAN
11-12-2017, 06:57 AM
We're not done recruiting yet. I think we have a better shot a Williamson than people think.

BD80
11-12-2017, 01:03 PM
I love this board. Duke lands the #1 recruit for the third time in the last five classes, and we are parsing herbivorous vs. herbaceous. ...

You mean parsleying herbs ...

richardjackson199
03-31-2018, 12:44 PM
RJ's Montverde on ESPN right now beating Vernon Carey's high school team in high school national championship - at halftime.

Barret's Montverde team lost in championship game last year and he really wants this one. He's having a nice game so far. Nice deep 3 point stroke. Some spectacular jams.

Vernon Carey is also a beast who can pass and break, but only 4 points so far. Paul Biancardi quoted his dad saying definitely Miami, UNCheat, and Michigan State recruiting him hardest now. Didn't mention Duke. Maybe we expect rule to change and him to be in NBA.

Go Barrett and Montverde!

HereBeforeCoachK
03-31-2018, 12:46 PM
We're not done recruiting yet. I think we have a better shot a Williamson than people think.

Dude, you got any stock tips for me?

richardjackson199
03-31-2018, 01:24 PM
Congrats R.J. Barrett!!

80 points in 3 games - new record.

25 points 16 rebounds today in a blowout championship win

dukelifer
03-31-2018, 01:43 PM
Congrats R.J. Barrett!!

80 points in 3 games - new record.

25 points 16 rebounds today in a blowout championship win

Barrett will want the ball in the hands when it matters most. Kid reminds me of Kobe at 17-18.

AtlDuke72
03-31-2018, 02:00 PM
Barrett will want the ball in the hands when it matters most. Kid reminds me of Kobe at 17-18.

We will have at least 3 guys who will want the ball in their hands. Could be a problem Just hope they are unselfish and coachable.

dukelifer
03-31-2018, 02:42 PM
We will have at least 3 guys who will want the ball in their hands. Could be a problem Just hope they are unselfish and coachable.

Reddish reminds me of Freshman Grant - will likely defer to Barrett. Not so sure about Zion. I think he is less polished as a basketball player- he just physically dominating.

bullettoothtony
03-31-2018, 04:17 PM
RJ's Montverde on ESPN right now beating Vernon Carey's high school team in high school national championship - at halftime.

Barret's Montverde team lost in championship game last year and he really wants this one. He's having a nice game so far. Nice deep 3 point stroke. Some spectacular jams.

Vernon Carey is also a beast who can pass and break, but only 4 points so far. Paul Biancardi quoted his dad saying definitely Miami, UNCheat, and Michigan State recruiting him hardest now. Didn't mention Duke. Maybe we expect rule to chang vCarde and him to be in NBA.

Go Barrett and Montverde!

Yeah what's the story here? I thought we were leading for Carey. And where did the Cheats come from??

drummerdevil
03-31-2018, 05:44 PM
Yeah what's the story here? I thought we were leading for Carey. And where did the Cheats come from??

You know, that year I actually don’t want us getting many top recruits, and here’s why: best case scenario, that team is:

Junior Goldwire
Junior AOC
Senior Jack White
Senior Javin
Senior Marques
Senior Jrob
Sophomore Tre?
Freshman Joey Baker

We could be a very good veteran team - so I only want one or two one and dones, max. And that comes from a guy who’s usually very willing to go with the one and done style.

Kedsy
03-31-2018, 09:09 PM
You know, that year I actually don’t want us getting many top recruits, and here’s why: best case scenario, that team is:

Junior Goldwire
Junior AOC
Senior Jack White
Senior Javin
Senior Marques
Senior Jrob
Sophomore Tre?
Freshman Joey Baker

We could be a very good veteran team - so I only want one or two one and dones, max. And that comes from a guy who’s usually very willing to go with the one and done style.

Sorry, but the team you've listed (especially since Tre Jones staying for his sophomore year is no better than 50/50) is at best a 6th place ACC team, and without Tre is probably more like 8th or even 10th. If that's what you want, more power to you, but I doubt many fans on this board would be satisfied with that roster.

drummerdevil
03-31-2018, 09:22 PM
Sorry, but the team you've listed (especially since Tre Jones staying for his sophomore year is no better than 50/50) is at best a 6th place ACC team, and without Tre is probably more like 8th or even 10th. If that's what you want, more power to you, but I doubt many fans on this board would be satisfied with that roster.

Obviously I want a couple more players than that, but I do want the upperclassmen to be able to play a lot for once.

jimsumner
03-31-2018, 11:05 PM
you know, that year i actually don’t want us getting many top recruits, and here’s why: Best case scenario, that team is:

Junior goldwire
junior aoc
senior jack white
senior javin
senior marques
senior jrob
sophomore tre?
Freshman joey baker

we could be a very good veteran team - so i only want one or two one and dones, max. And that comes from a guy who’s usually very willing to go with the one and done style.

NIT! Nit! Nit!

Ian
03-31-2018, 11:08 PM

I'd be ok with that if we just get a couple more freshmen in the 25-75 range.

Kedsy
03-31-2018, 11:19 PM
I'd be ok with that if we just get a couple more freshmen in the 25-75 range.

We'd still be a bubble team in that scenario.

UrinalCake
03-31-2018, 11:48 PM

That team plus Carey and another OAD superstar and we'd be in business.

Regardless, it's extremely unlikely that Jones and Bolden would both still be around.

Ian
03-31-2018, 11:51 PM

Maybe, it would still beat the annual revolving door.

CDu
04-01-2018, 08:29 AM
Maybe, it would still beat the annual revolving door.

You would rather have a bubble team than a 1/2 seed?

arnie
04-01-2018, 09:00 AM

The idea that Bolden and Jones will both be at Duke that year is unlikely, but I disagree with your assessment. A 4-year Bolden would be a stronger presence inside than most centers, a 2nd year Jones at point could be one is the best in the NCAA. An experienced Javin and O’Connell should stack up well against many NCAA tourney teams and the infusion of younger talent would provide good depth.

Additionally, using the recruiting rankings of players that you frequently reference, a projection for this”team” should be top 3 in the ACC and solid NCAA tourney team. After all, not many teams have multiple 5-star players with experience supplemented by other 4-stars around them.

proelitedota
04-01-2018, 11:55 AM
Bolden 5*
Delaurier 4*
AOC 4*
Jones 5*

And another 5* 1nd guard / SF and that is no way a bubble team. It's certainly as talented as our 2010 team.

dukelifer
04-01-2018, 12:31 PM
You would rather have a bubble team than a 1/2 seed?

I expect that Duke will need to have a bubble season before they can get to a place where they have more balance on their roster. That may coincide with the time when K steps down.

dukelifer
04-01-2018, 12:38 PM
Bolden 5*
Delaurier 4*
AOC 4*
Jones 5*

And another 5* 1nd guard / SF and that is no way a bubble team. It's certainly as talented as our 2010 team.
Time will tell but Scheyer, Smith and Singler were pretty good players with a lot of playing experience. Scheyer and Singler averaged double figures every year they played at Duke. Smith had a big jump his junior year. Right now the three most experienced players on your list have never averaged double figures and they have had just a few double figure games combined.

HereBeforeCoachK
04-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Additionally, using the recruiting rankings of players that you frequently reference, a projection for this”team” should be top 3 in the ACC and solid NCAA tourney team. After all, not many teams have multiple 5-star players with experience supplemented by other 4-stars around them.

All that is true, but another monkey wrench is that not all 4 and 5* players at age 17-18 progress, and a lot of unheralded 18 year olds become awesome 21 year old players.

Troublemaker
04-01-2018, 03:46 PM
So, R.J. is now a FIBA world champion and a high school national champion (going undefeated in the process). And he was the MVP of both runs.

Very excited to see if he can add some hardware at Duke next season.

robed deity
04-01-2018, 03:52 PM
So, R.J. is now a FIBA world champion and a high school national champion (going undefeated in the process). And he was the MVP of both runs.

Very excited to see if he can add some hardware at Duke next season.

Haven't been this impressed with a recruit in a while (maybe Kyrie?). Just hope they have enough shooting next year.

Kedsy
04-01-2018, 04:28 PM
The idea that Bolden and Jones will both be at Duke that year is unlikely, but I disagree with your assessment. A 4-year Bolden would be a stronger presence inside than most centers, a 2nd year Jones at point could be one is the best in the NCAA. An experienced Javin and O’Connell should stack up well against many NCAA tourney teams and the infusion of younger talent would provide good depth.

When I made the bubble team statement I meant without Tre Jones. With Jones and that roster, I said we'd finish approximately 6th in the ACC, which should get us in, but probably like a #8-seed.

Without Jones, there's no way that team is better than a bubble team. In my numeric system based on a combination of recruiting ranking and experience, we'd only have two players better than a 3.0 (this year, for example, we had seven such players; in 2016-17 we had nine such players). And both such players would be frontcourt players, which isn't ideal. Jordan Goldwire appears better than I thought he was, but he isn't good enough to be the starting point guard for an ACC contender. Guys like Joey Baker (in the 20s) and other freshmen "in the 25-75 range" are occasionally able to be contributors on a Duke team, but not very often. Unlikely more than one of them would be effective in the rotation.

Basically, it would be one of the three least talented Duke rosters (possibly the least talented) in Coach K's Duke career.

Bolden 5*
Delaurier 4*
AOC 4*
Jones 5*

2010:
Kyle Singler: #6 recruit in his junior year;
Nolan Smith: #18 in his junior year;
Lance Thomas: #20 in his senior year;
Brian Zoubek: #25 in his senior year;
Jon Scheyer: #28 in his senior year;
Ryan Kelly: #14 in his freshman year;
Mason Plumlee: #18 in his freshman year;
Andre Dawkins: ~#20 to #25 in his freshman year;
Miles Plumlee: #81 in his sophomore year

That's eight top 30 guys plus an overachieving 60-something (future NBA player Miles Plumlee).

Hypothetical 2019:
Marques Bolden: #11 in his senior year;
Javin DeLaurier: #35 in his senior year;
Alex O'Connell: #69 in his junior year;
Joey Baker: ~#20 to #25 in his freshman year;
Jack White: #236 in his senior year;
Jordan Goldwire: #370 in his junior year;
Justin Robinson: outside the top 400 in his redshirt senior year;

That's two top 30 guys plus a possibly overachieving 60-something.

So, no, even with Tre Jones (~#7 in his sophomore year) this hypothetical team is nowhere near as talented as the 2010 team.

sagegrouse
04-01-2018, 04:38 PM
Bolden 5*
Delaurier 4*
AOC 4*
Jones 5*

Time will tell but Scheyer, Smith and Singler were pretty good players with a lot of playing experience. Scheyer and Singler averaged double figures every year they played at Duke. Smith had a big jump his junior year. Right now the three most experienced players on your list have never averaged double figures and they have had just a few double figure games combined.

I agree, dukelifer. Scheyer (1st), Singler (1st) and Smith (2nd) were All-ACC level players in 2010. Nolan was 1st team A-A in 2011.

One reason the 2010 team was not viewed as supremely talented was the almost total absence of guards on the roster beyond Nolan and Jon, once Elliot Williams transferred. We were on pins and needles all season. A youthful Andre Dawkins agreed to reclassify and played 20 MPG as a sub. Also, no one knew that Zoubek would blow up at the end of the season and become an unstoppable force on the boards.

arnie
04-01-2018, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=Kedsy;1061545]When I made the bubble team statement I meant without Tre Jones. With Jones and that roster, I said we'd finish approximately 6th in the ACC, which should get us in, but probably like a #8-seed.

Without Jones, there's no way that team is better than a bubble team. In my numeric system based on a combination of recruiting ranking and experience, we'd only have two players better than a 3.0 (this year, for example, we had seven such players; in 2016-17 we had nine such players). And both such players would be frontcourt players, which isn't ideal. Jordan Goldwire appears better than I thought he was, but he isn't good enough to be the starting point guard for an ACC contender. Guys like Joey Baker (in the 20s) and other freshmen "in the 25-75 range" are occasionally able to be contributors on a Duke team, but not very often. Unlikely more than one of them would be effective in the rotation.

Basically, it would be one of the three least talented Duke rosters (possibly the least talented) in Coach K's Duke career. )

No, I realized your 6th place ACC finish included Tre Jones. I simply disagree with that for the reasons I stated. I don’t think 5 ACC teams would have a greater blend of talent and experience. That hypothetical team(which we agree won’t likely exist) reminds me more of the later 1980s K teams without a Danny Ferry. Would be very good but not great. Of course it depends on Bolden remain8ng healthy and continuing to improve.

richardjackson199
04-01-2018, 05:17 PM
[QUOTE=arnie;1061545]When I made the bubble team statement I meant without Tre Jones. With Jones and that roster, I said we'd finish approximately 6th in the ACC, which should get us in, but probably like a #8-seed.

Basically, it would be one of the three least talented Duke rosters (possibly the least talented) in Coach K's Duke career. )

No, I realized your 6th place ACC finish included Tre Jones. I simply disagree with that for the reasons I stated. I don’t think 5 ACC teams would have a greater blend of talent and experience. That hypothetical team(which we agree won’t likely exist) reminds me more of the later 1980s K teams without a Danny Ferry. Would be very good but not great. Of course it depends on Bolden remain8ng healthy and continuing to improve.

You realize Duke made the Final 4 three times out of four seasons from 1986 through 1989. I'd call that great. :)

ETA: My bad arnie - I missed that you were subtracting Ferry off the team for your argument.

arnie
04-01-2018, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=arnie;1061553]

You realize Duke made the Final 4 three times out of four seasons from 1986 through 1989. I'd call that great. :)

Yea but I compared the hypothetical team to the 80s teams without a Danny Ferry. Nevertheless, I wouldn’t sell the team we’re discussing short.

Kedsy
04-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Obviously we'll never know, but I don't think those late-80s Duke teams would have been very good without Ferry. Even with Ferry we finished 3rd, 3rd, and tied for 2nd/3rd/4th in an 8-team ACC (in 1987 to 1989). If Ferry was only worth 2 ACC wins a year (and he may have been worth more), we'd have finished 5th, 4th, and 5th out of 8-teams, which translates roughly to 7th to 9th place in the current 15-team ACC. So by saying 6th I think I was giving the hypothetical roster the benefit of the doubt.

Ian
04-01-2018, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=arnie;1061553]

I think his point is that those rosters in the late 80's weren't loaded with stars. Robert Brickey, Phil Henderson, Billy King, etc, weren't 5 star recruits. That is it possible to have very good teams with one star player surrounded by role players who excel at their role.

arnie
04-01-2018, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=richardjackson199;1061554]

I think his point is that those rosters in the late 80's weren't loaded with stars. Robert Brickey, Phil Henderson, Billy King, etc, weren't 5 star recruits. That is it possible to have very good teams with one star player surrounded by role players who excel at their role.

Yes, that’s my point. And some on this board don’t realize how great the 8 team ACC was in the 1986-1989 timeframe. Finishing 3rd in that league was an accomplishment.

CDu
04-01-2018, 05:31 PM

Heck, the three most experienced players of that group have barely combined to average double-figures.

It would be an awful shooting team, with just one guy who has shown any proficiency from beyond 15 feet. Only two or three (if Jones returned) guys would have any dribbling proficiency. It would be rough. We would basically be a much older but a much worse version of this year’s team, reliant on Bolden, DeLaurier, and O’Connell to carry the offense. That isn’t a comforting thought.

MChambers
04-01-2018, 05:48 PM
Not to derail this tangent, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Barrett in a Duke uniform. He seems like the real deal.

dukelifer
04-01-2018, 06:17 PM
Heck, the three most experienced players of that group have barely combined to average double-figures.

It would be an awful shooting team, with just one guy who has shown any proficiency from beyond 15 feet. Only two or three (if Jones returned) guys would have any dribbling proficiency. It would be rough. We would basically be a much older but a much worse version of this year’s team, reliant on Bolden, DeLaurier, and O’Connell to carry the offense. That isn’t a comforting thought.

Well to fair - this is a year from now - so we can project amazing growth ;) I personally have AOC with an extra 20 pounds of muscle and Kennard-like range as a junior. Javin has gone to shooting school and is now 40% from beyond the arc.

DavidBenAkiva
04-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN is at the Nike Hoops Summit and has been taking a look at R.J. Barrett. Of note, here are his measurements:

Height: 6'6.5"
Weight: 208 lbs.
Standing Reach: 8'6"
Wingspan: 6'9"

Givony also noted that Barrett has added 15 pounds in the last year. He also looked in his database of measurements and noted that he is about the same size, length, and wingspan as DeMar Derozen was at the NBA Draft combine, except that Barrett is 2 years younger. Is that good? That seems good.

CDu
04-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress/ESPN is at the Nike Hoops Summit and has been taking a look at R.J. Barrett. Of note, here are his measurements:

Givony also noted that Barrett has added 15 pounds in the last year. He also looked in his database of measurements and noted that he is about the same size, length, and wingspan as DeMar Derozen was at the NBA Draft combine, except that Barrett is 2 years younger. Is that good? That seems good.

It is also about the same size as Trent (who was 6’6” with a 6’8.5” wingspan). So, certainly not bad at all. But not noteworthy. If he is still growing, great. If he is done growing, then he has solid NBA 2 guard size.

UrinalCake
04-10-2018, 10:11 PM
Great size for a college guard/wing. I still find it hard to believe that Trent is 6'6, he always looked to be the same size as Grayson who I believe to be closer to 6'4. And he didn't "play" that big, perhaps due to his lack of elite athleticism.

nmduke2001
04-10-2018, 10:48 PM

Only if he has a reliable NBA three point shot. The biggest criticism of Derozen is that he lacks a three point shot and is too small to dominate in the playoffs with his usual style of play.

drummerdevil
04-11-2018, 07:18 AM
Only if he has a reliable NBA three point shot. The biggest criticism of Derozen is that he lacks a three point shot and is too small to dominate in the playoffs with his usual style of play.

Hopefully he has a work ethic like Derozan, who actually knows he can’t shoot and has been working on it in the off seasons and is willing to shoot them now. Either way, derozan has the bast midrange game in the nba, and is leading the east’s best team... so I’m fine with rj being a derozan

Saratoga2
04-11-2018, 08:20 AM

DeRozen was measured 6'51/4" in the Predraft camp in 2009. I assume the height you quoted here is with shoes on. In any case, he is a good size to play wing or shooting guard. Look forward to seeing him.

English
04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
DeRozen was measured 6'51/4" in the Predraft camp in 2009. I assume the height you quoted here is with shoes on. In any case, he is a good size to play wing or shooting guard. Look forward to seeing him.

Yes, the height given is with shoes on.

Truth&Justise
08-02-2018, 12:32 PM
Just saw a phenomenal article from The Stepien that goes in-depth, with lots of video clips, on RJ Barrett's strengths (https://www.thestepien.com/2018/08/02/early-2019-draft-thoughts-r-j-barrett/). Haven't heard of this site before, but this is a great breakdown of Barrett's game. It's written from the vantage point of evaluating for the 2019 draft, but obviously will translate into what we will see from Barrett this season.

High level recap: he is elite at getting to the basket and has displayed advanced finishing and playmaking abilities. He's a good shooter with his feet set, but is still working on his shot off the dribble. And he's an excellent cutter and high-IQ floor spacer, though again his ability to hit from the three point line is a work in progress.

But really, I'm not doing the article justice, it makes these points in incredible detail. Well worth the read.