PDA

View Full Version : Can A Thread Be Blocked/Ignored?

slower
11-10-2017, 11:24 AM
I haven't found any way to do this.

If, like me, you are offended by threads relating to particularly repugnant topics, your enjoyment of DBR is diminished every time you see these threads climb their way back to the top of Page 1. It's as if we're being cheated - yes, CHEATED - of our rights as DBR patrons.

We need a hero! Someone to find a way to banish these vile topics - to send them back to the hell-hole from whence they slithered - and to receive the grateful sporks of thousands. Let's hope our hero shows up soon. :p

OldPhiKap
11-10-2017, 12:19 PM

If, like me, you are offended by threads relating to particularly repugnant topics, your enjoyment of DBR is diminished every time you see these threads climb their way back to the top of Page 1. It's as if we're being cheated - yes, CHEATED - of our rights as DBR patrons.

We need a hero! Someone to find a way to banish these vile topics - to send them back to the hell-hole from whence they slithered - and to receive the grateful sporks of thousands. Let's hope our hero shows up soon. :p

Sign me up too, please.

jv001
11-10-2017, 01:14 PM
Sign me up too, please.

Please sign me up as well. GoDuke!

elvis14
11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Some of us have been known to over-post in some threads in a blatant attempt to move other threads down to where we don't see them. I mean, of course, I'd never do such a thing, every one of my posts is well thought out pieces of literary gold but some.... :-)

TKG
11-10-2017, 01:46 PM
Perhaps the mods can banish them to the Off-Topic board.

tteettimes
11-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Please sign me up as well. GoDuke!

^^^^me too

elvis14
11-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Well, the main board is mostly concerned with STUDENT athletes, so yeah, that might be valid.

PackMan97
11-10-2017, 02:08 PM
I have not done this, so your mileage may vary and this is very much use at your own risk.
-------------------------
There is a plugin for Firefox called Greasemonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/) and for Chrome it's called Tampermonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en). This allows you to run small JavaScript programs other people wrote to modify various webpages. There appears to be one for vBulletin4 that says it will hide threads and users. It can be found here: https://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/120455
-----------------------

I make no claims of what will actually happen, but in theory it should work.

slower
11-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Some of us have been known to over-post in some threads in a blatant attempt to move other threads down to where we don't see them. I mean, of course, I'd never do such a thing, every one of my posts is well thought out pieces of literary gold but some... :-)

Yes, some of us have been known to do the same thing, only to have all of our hard work undone by just ONE post from someone who does not share our concerns. It gets to be VERY labor-intensive. :p

BandAlum83
11-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Yes, some of us have been known to do the same thing, only to have all of our hard work undone by just ONE post from someone who does not share our concerns. It gets to be VERY labor-intensive. :p

Perhaps we could deploy some Russian bots to assure page 2 status for any unwanted threads?

jv001
11-10-2017, 02:36 PM
I like the Off-Topic idea because to some of us, it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic. GTHC & GoDuke!

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Apparently you can rate threads... though I have no idea what happens based on said ratings.

mgtr
11-10-2017, 02:42 PM
I have not done this, so your mileage may vary and this is very much use at your own risk.
There is a plugin for Firefox called Greasemonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/) and for Chrome it's called Tampermonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo?hl=en). This allows you to run small JavaScript programs other people wrote to modify various webpages. There appears to be one for vBulletin4 that says it will hide threads and users. It can be found here: https://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/120455
-----------------------

If this works, it might bring out the hidden moderator in each of us. Just don't let Rand Paul's neighbor learn of your whereabouts!:D

jv001
11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Apparently you can rate threads... though I have no idea what happens based on said ratings.

Please refer to the Cheat Skate thread. GoDuke!

slower
11-10-2017, 02:50 PM
I think our advertising rates either go up or down.

BD80
11-10-2017, 02:55 PM
As long as all discussion of minutes is confined to a single thread that I can ignore, I'm happy.

El_Diablo
11-10-2017, 03:22 PM

Time for some poll skewin'...I have done my part.

DrChainsaw
11-10-2017, 03:23 PM
Perhaps there’s a little piece of software that could surgically remove the puns that some mistakenly find humorous and hijack otherwise worthwhile threads? 😏

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Perhaps there’s a little piece of software that could surgically remove the puns that some mistakenly find humorous and hijack otherwise worthwhile threads? 😏

Or, could highlight them for those of us who do?

sagegrouse
11-10-2017, 03:33 PM
Well, I like the self-administered psyschology test that some of us fail. We post to complain about a thread, thereby ensuring it rises to the top.

NSDukeFan
11-10-2017, 03:36 PM
How can I get rid of the blasphemous posts in this thread that want to confine the unconfineable minutes discussions and puns to one thread? 😀

slower
11-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Well, I like the self-administered psyschology test that some of us fail. We post to complain about a thread, thereby ensuring it rises to the top.
Hence, the need for my solution. We can cure this in our lifetimes, folks!

cato
11-10-2017, 03:37 PM

But if we post to complain about a thread in another thread, the thread we are complaining about gets pushed down.

slower
11-10-2017, 03:47 PM
But if we post to complain about a thread in another thread, the thread we are complaining about gets pushed down.

If you do that, just make sure the mods consider your post to be "a basketball play" and not an intentional foul.

moonpie23
11-10-2017, 04:24 PM
or, we could all go over there and spew some hate about their cheating aaaz ezz and take a couple of infractions .....nay ....take a BUNCH of infractions......enough for them to lock the thread....

whereinthehellami
11-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Sign me up. At the very least, I would think the mods could come up with a better thread name for the UNC trolls and lame Duke fans that want to pollute this Duke board. Disappointed with all that participate in the cheater protected and therefore endorsed thread.

slower
11-10-2017, 04:43 PM
You guys make me proud! I should have called this "THREAD OF HEROES!!"

Remember, remember, the 10th of November.

BLPOG
11-10-2017, 04:45 PM

We need an "in bad taste" board.

El_Diablo
11-10-2017, 04:59 PM
The Wheels for Heels improper benefits scandal is technically not part of the academic cheating scandal, right? Asking for a friend....

MarkD83
11-10-2017, 05:03 PM

I second third and fourth this recommendation!!!!!

-jk
11-10-2017, 05:08 PM
Sign me up. At the very least, I would think the mods could come up with a better thread name for the UNC trolls and lame Duke fans that want to pollute this Duke board. Disappointed with all that participate in the cheater protected and therefore endorsed thread.

I like the fact that even the hoops only thread references the scandal.

-jk

MarkD83
11-10-2017, 05:09 PM
In an attempt to see if moving a topic to the off-topic board I have comments about you know who on the off-topic board....

MarkD83
11-10-2017, 05:15 PM
Now that I have tried the off-topic board route....It is game day and there is an important recruiting announcement coming up....so even though I may be band and the definition of insanity tells me my efforts will be fruitless....I will now try to put the important threads at the top of this board.....

El_Diablo
11-10-2017, 05:16 PM
Now that I have tried the off-topic board route...It is game day and there is an important recruiting announcement coming up...so even though I may be band and the definition of insanity tells me my efforts will be fruitless...I will now try to put the important threads at the top of this board....

That was referencing the wrong thread though....

cato
11-10-2017, 06:45 PM
If you do that, just make sure the mods consider your post to be "a basketball play" and not an intentional foul.

So, add a minute projection to each post. I project that Grayson will play more than 30 minutes a game this season, barring injury.

devildeac
11-10-2017, 11:19 PM

-jk

That may be true only in the posts contained in the thread that was merged with the basketball "only" thread. I'm almost certain of that as I had a couple posts deleted from "that" thread that I posted after the threads were merged. Since that time, I've chosen to ignore "that" thread.

In fact, during our breakfast this AM, I first selected an individually wrapped bagel and started to open the bag but decided not to complete the task when I noted it was labeled wheat so I chose the gluten-free option instead.

-jk
11-11-2017, 08:26 AM
You can always ignore individual members, though I think you might still see their stuff when they’ve been quoted. (Mods can’t ignore members...)

-jk

CameronBlue
11-11-2017, 08:46 AM
In fact, during our breakfast this AM, I first selected an individually wrapped bagel and started to open the bag but decided not to complete the task when I noted it was labeled wheat so I chose the gluten-free option instead.
There is brilliance in evidence here I can not allow to pass unnoticed. Incidentally on the topic of passing I’vE definitely found that the gluten-free option is the way to go. Better a thread or poster be blocked than my bowels.

devildeac
11-11-2017, 09:33 AM
There is brilliance in evidence here I can not allow to pass unnoticed. Incidentally on the topic of passing I’vE definitely found that the gluten-free option is the way to go. Better a thread or poster be blocked than my bowels.

Thank you (publicly and privately ;)). It's been a long, long time since someone accused me of that. :o

devildeac
11-11-2017, 09:35 AM
You can always ignore individual members, though I think you might still see their stuff when they’ve been quoted. (Mods can’t ignore members...)

-jk

That is true.

wilson
11-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Let's move the thread in question to the PPB.

cato
11-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Let's move the thread in question to the PPB.

Best advice yet

hudlow
11-11-2017, 10:45 AM
Could it at least be re-titled to this...?

Kisigino kinataja mjadala 17-18 hakuna mjadala wa mashindano

fidel
11-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Could it at least be re-titled to this...?

Kisigino kinataja mjadala 17-18 hakuna mjadala wa mashindano

Hans? Is that you??

hudlow
11-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Hans? Is that you??

Just travelin' through...;)

BandAlum83
11-11-2017, 11:30 AM

-jk

Personally, I wouldn't know. I haven't gone to THAT THREAD for quite some time.

mph
11-11-2017, 09:34 PM
-----------------------

Just curious if anyone has tried this yet and, if so, how it’s working.

jv001
11-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Personally, I wouldn't know. I haven't gone to THAT THREAD for quite some time.

I have not opened the thread, but I notice a certain fisherman continues to make sure it stays on the front page:( GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-11-2017, 09:55 PM
I have not opened the thread, but I notice a certain fisherman continues to make sure it stays on the front page:( GoDuke!

It’s almost like the fisherman is trolling.

And I’m sure someone is getting a laugh at getting the trolling sanctioned so it will remain on the front page all season.

But at least there’s pie. Gluten-rich pie.

jipops
11-11-2017, 10:05 PM
I also vote that when the game with the pale blue typos rolls around, no thread exists for it on this board. None at all. And when the second obligatory matchup occurs, same.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Are we talking about the bowl vigil thread? I just don't visit it, simple solution.

PackMan97
11-11-2017, 11:22 PM
Just curious if anyone has tried this yet and, if so, how it’s working.

Yes, I did! Seems to be working well. Only annoying thing is it puts an extra icon in front of each thread you can use to block.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:19 AM
Are we talking about the bowl vigil thread? I just don't visit it, simple solution.

That one’s gonna sink down on its own pretty soon. Ugh.

whereinthehellami
11-12-2017, 08:23 AM
It’s almost like the fisherman is trolling.

And I’m sure someone is getting a laugh at getting the trolling sanctioned so it will remain on the front page all season.

But at least there’s pie. Gluten-rich pie.

Totally agree. A bunch of sweater-vest wearing mouth breathers.

Reilly
11-12-2017, 10:31 AM
If moving the thread down does not work, and if moving it to another board is not an option, perhaps just re-titling it "Delusional, irrelevant musings" would suffice?

Reilly
11-12-2017, 10:33 AM
That one’s gonna sink down on its own pretty soon. Ugh.

Not until the last 5-7 bowl-slot-based-on-grades is awarded .... we have miles to go before we sleep ...

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 02:08 PM
Totally agree. A bunch of sweater-vest wearing mouth breathers.

Lol got flamed for my post. A first in however long I’ve been on this forum I think.

El_Diablo
11-12-2017, 03:16 PM
Lol got flamed for my post. A first in however long I’ve been on this forum I think.

Well, I believe this IS technically the "Duke and Carolina Basketball Report," after all, so unrepentant Carolina fans who come here immediately after the program gets a pass for decades of cheating and create a UNC basketball thread that is not allowed to reference the decades of cheating (because reasons) could never be considered trolls. And when they bump it to the first page day after day, they still could never be considered trolls. Even when they post videos of past blowout victories over NC State in such thread in response to comments from fans of NC State, that's not troll behavior at all--it is directly relevant to this year's UNC team and is therefore permitted (because reasons). In summary, you deserved that flame, and whoever gave it to you is the real hero of the Duke and Carolina Basketball Report.

Reilly
11-12-2017, 05:46 PM
... got flamed for my post. A first in however long I’ve been on this forum ...

You've been coddled too long, obviously.

I'm just happy there are finally deep thinkers in these parts. Maybe it's time to engage those thinkers directly, in said thread, and exchange views on ... oh, I don't know ... maybe thoughts about our current president, our last president, bbq (both Texas and NC (east and west)), bathroom bills, religion, abortion, the root causes of the Civil War, whether Dean is the greatest basketball coach who ever lived or the greatest human who ever lived, and Woodrow Wilson. If there's going to be a Teflon thread, we might as well make use of it.

cato
11-12-2017, 06:00 PM

And yet we’ll deserved sporks were denied. How deep does this conspiracy go?

jv001
11-12-2017, 06:45 PM

I received one my self. Bet ours came from the same poster. GoDuke!

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:49 PM

1. I can’t send Sporkz to several right-minded posters. Able to run the blockade on a few others — so far.

2. The killer rabbit thread gets locked.

3. Nate Britt elevated to cherished national treasure.

It’s like a clockwork turned orange.

(To be fair, I think I earned the flame. Actually, pretty sure I did although I stand by the posts that earned it. I’ll survive.)

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:53 PM
I received one my self. Bet ours came from the same poster. GoDuke!

Let’s just say that if I ground him up and flamed him, he would be toast.

But, c’est la vie. Gonna be a long season of this. 9F the guys down the road.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 08:14 PM
Let’s just say that if I ground him up and flamed him, he would be toast.

But, c’est la vie. Gonna be a long season of this. 9F the guys down the road.

So I was responding to inaccurate attacks on UNC's crowd size in the one thread designated to discuss UNC so as to not clutter the board with lots of UNC threads, which I understand and support, and you guys accuse me of bumping it up just to troll you? (All the while I'm followed around by the same 4-5 posters trying to troll me, and nobody seems to mind?).

Those posts were not truthful and inflammatory, and deserved the negative sporks.

jv001
11-12-2017, 08:26 PM
So I was responding to inaccurate attacks on UNC's crowd size in the one thread designated to discuss UNC so as to not clutter the board with lots of UNC threads, which I understand and support, and you guys accuse me of bumping it up just to troll you? (All the while I'm followed around by the same 4-5 posters trying to troll me, and nobody seems to mind?).

Those posts were not truthful and inflammatory, and deserved the negative sporks.

But we didn't call any names, :cool: Wheat, I actually like you and some of your posts have been spork worthy(as you know). There's just a difference in some of your posts as opposed to say, the Virginia fans on DBR. It's when you throw little digs toward our Blue Devils that I get frustrated because this is a Duke website. Now back to our regular broadcast. GoDuke!

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 08:39 PM
But we didn't call any names, :cool: Wheat, I actually like you and some of your posts have been spork worthy(as you know). There's just a difference in some of your posts as opposed to say, the Virginia fans on DBR. It's when you throw little digs toward our Blue Devils that I get frustrated because this is a Duke website. Now back to our regular broadcast. GoDuke!

My "little digs" are always in response to a dig at me or the Heels, I don't initiate them, and never try to be mean spirited.

I'm a competitive guy, and not going to lay down just because I'm at a rival fans web site. I'm going to be respectful and tell it like it is, or at least how I see it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2017, 08:46 PM
My "little digs" are always in response to a dig at me or the Heels, I don't initiate them, and never try to be mean spirited.

I'm a competitive guy, and not going to lay down just because I'm at a rival fans web site. I'm going to be respectful and tell it like it is, or at least how I see it.

I have sporked/defended you in the past, but dude, why are you piping up on this thread? What does it accomplish?

jv001
11-12-2017, 08:46 PM

I think you, myself and a few more of us, say, Duke fans, Wahoo fans, State fans, Cuse fans, & Clemson fans start a thread on "Student athletes and academics". I'm sure we can discuss the topic without being mean spirited. I'm not good at starting threads so why don't you do it. GoDuke!

richardjackson199
11-12-2017, 08:48 PM

So it's 100% whole wheat. Got it.

That's good, some of you might think these opinions regarding the holes are just crap, but the high fiber is better on the bowels. :p

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 09:05 PM
I think you, myself and a few more of us, say, Duke fans, Wahoo fans, State fans, Cuse fans, & Clemson fans start a thread on "Student athletes and academics". I'm sure we can discuss the topic without being mean spirited. I'm not good at starting threads so why don't you do it. GoDuke!

If I thought for a minute that I could have a rational discussion here on that subject, I would gladly throw in my two cents on the topic.

I'm not about to start it, but if somebody does and I see it's civil, I'd participate and give an honest opinion and assessment.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 09:08 PM
I have sporked/defended you in the past, but dude, why are you piping up on this thread? What does it accomplish?

I sleep better knowing I don't allow myself to get walked all over.

When I get attacked, I will respond.

jv001
11-12-2017, 09:08 PM
If I thought for a minute that I could have a rational discussion here on that subject, I would gladly throw in my two cents on the topic.

I'm not about to start it, but if somebody does and I see it's civil, I'd participate and give an honest opinion and assessment.

Fair enough. What do you say, PackMan97 or Newt? GoDuke!

duke4ever19
11-12-2017, 09:09 PM

I've diagnosed him with "UNCheat Fan Masochism Disorder," or "UNCFMD" for short.

Sure, it's not in the DSM . . . yet, but with Wheat's permission, we will press on to get his disorder recognized by the American Psychiatric Association.

I'm even going to make some of those plastic bracelet thingies to raise awareness. :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2017, 09:13 PM

Noted. But when a thread exists solely to discuss some posters' frustration with your program and your posts in particular... not that you will pay attention to me, but maybe give Duke fans some space on their own board to voice their annoyances.

Anyways, as you were. Just don't be surprised if you get attacked when you are posting in the thread created to complain about your posts.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 09:13 PM

I didn’t mention any of those posts. I have sporked you in the past, and never flamed you even when it would have been easy. Carolina Way, I guess.

Except when you tell Duke fans how to feel about the cheating that UNC systemized for two decades. Or accuse K of teaching players how to kick out their legs to draw phantom fouls. Or intimate a Duke player did something dirty, then pretend you didn’t mean to imply that. Etcetera etcetera etcetera. You don’t start digs when attacked. You dig, then play martyr.

#Tagline #SOS #YadaYadaYada

cato
11-12-2017, 09:22 PM

There isn’t an eye roll big enough for you getting righteous about what helps you sleep better.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 09:28 PM
I didn’t mention any of those posts. I have sporked you in the past, and never flamed you even when it would have been easy. Carolina Way, I guess.

Except when you tell Duke fans how to feel about the cheating that UNC systemized for two decades. Or accuse K of teaching players how to kick out their legs to draw phantom fouls. Or intimate a Duke player did something dirty, then pretend you didn’t mean to imply that. Etcetera etcetera etcetera. You don’t start digs when attacked. You dig, then play martyr.

#Tagline #SOS #YadaYadaYada

I can't ever recall implying Duke did something dirty...and where have I ever told Duke fans how to feel?

As for the leg kick out on the three, I absolutely do believe coach K encourages it when a player shooting the 3 sees a defender closing in out of control to draw a foul. Seen it too many times...and there's nothing wrong with that. Make a defender pay if he's late. Other coaches encourage it too.

Never understood why people think that's a bad thing for a coach to make his shooters aware of...drawing fouls is part of the game.

Wheat/"/"/"
11-12-2017, 09:36 PM
I've diagnosed him with "UNCheat Fan Masochism Disorder," or "UNCFMD" for short.

Sure, it's not in the DSM . . . yet, but with Wheat's permission, we will press on to get his disorder recognized by the American Psychiatric Association.

I'm even going to make some of those plastic bracelet thingies to raise awareness. :)

There may be a hint of truth to that diagnosis, although I'd add an "S" in there somewhere for stubbornness :)

LasVegas
11-12-2017, 09:43 PM
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

TKG
11-12-2017, 09:55 PM

Now, where have I heard a similar quote? Oh, that's right, from the guy Alec Baldwin lampoons on SNL.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 10:02 PM
Now, where have I heard a similar quote? Oh, that's right, from the guy Alec Baldwin lampoons on SNL.

I thought it was a Zen proverb.

Maybe someone needs to start a “can you block a thread about blocking threads” to get away from this crap on DBR. Or maybe this is just the new normal.

slower
11-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Which one of you let that guy in my thread?:p

But i guess we can't do a lot, since some of the mods seem eternally determined to bend over backward for him.

Some people just don't understand when they're not appreciated. Or they do understand, and secretly enjoy yanking our chains, with the seeming blessing of the mods.

BD80
11-12-2017, 10:33 PM
Time to ignore this thread ...

devildeac
11-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Covered you and "coddled" OPK for you and Reilly, respectively. ;)

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Covered you and "coddled" OPK for you and Reilly, respectively. ;)

Many thanks. Just speak well of me when I’m gone.

PackMan97
11-12-2017, 11:46 PM
So I was responding to inaccurate attacks on UNC's crowd size

The only thing more inflated than UNC's crowd size estimates are UNC's graduation rates. No one was unfairly attacking anything about Carolina. Show me an attendance total from a Dean's Myth Center game and unless it's a sell out, I'll show you some numbers as fake as Julius Peppers transcript.

As for your "scoreboard" post, I hate to tell you but this poster doesn't give aflip anymore. Any "scoreboard" over the past 30 years is the product of cheating. Unlike Duke, State hasn't been blessed with one of the best college coaches of all time to level the playing floor. So you beat us regularly? Fantastic. Your school is very good at cheating, I think y'all have proven that to everyone. Well done. I'm slow clapping you right now.

I know what your feelings are on the scandal, because you are still a Carolina fan that has no shame. That tells me all I need to know. There is no discussion with you that I would enjoy.

Peace out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2017, 11:52 PM
I thought it was a Zen proverb.

Maybe someone needs to start a “can you block a thread about blocking threads” to get away from this crap on DBR. Or maybe this is just the new normal.

The irony of what this thread has turned into is way too thick.

JBDuke
11-13-2017, 02:25 AM
Keeping this thread open any longer serves no purpose. The original question has been answered, and now it's devolving into complaints about Wheat, about the moderators, about how the moderators handle Wheat, about UNC in general, etc. There are other places to discuss the legitimate stuff. As for the rest, it has no place on these boards.

This thread is CLOSED.