PDA

View Full Version : FB: Army 21, Duke 16

devildeac
11-06-2017, 04:03 PM
I guess if I started a thread for the 11/18 game, I should have started one for this game first :o.

After a tough game vs Bye last week, will we come out and establish a dominant land assault or will we attack through the air again? Discuss.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Must win game.

wobatus
11-06-2017, 04:14 PM
I guess if I started a thread for the 11/18 game, I should have started one for this game first :o.

After a tough game vs Bye last week, will we come out and establish a dominant land assault or will we attack through the air again? Discuss.

Definitely a great place to go see a game, maybe tour West Point. I'd urge anyone to go to Michie Stadium one of these days. The area is really nice in the Fall.

https://stadiafile.files.wordpress.com/2014/12/michie_stadium_south.jpg

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-06-2017, 04:22 PM
Two weeks to practice for that wacky Army offense. Let's go Duke!

Bob Green
11-06-2017, 04:25 PM
Two weeks to practice for that wacky Army offense. Let's go Duke!

Last Saturday Army beat Air Force 21-0 and did not attempt a forward pass. The Black Knights ran 59 running plays rushing for 392 yards.

devildeac
11-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Last Saturday Army beat Air Force 21-0 and did not attempt a forward pass. The Black Knights ran 59 running plays rushing for 392 yards.

Yikes, that's better than 6.6 YPC:eek:. Our DL and LB better be well rested and our *ffense &^%$ better be able to keep our D off the field for extended periods of time.

chrishoke
11-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Duke is an early 2 point favorite - not sure I agree with that.

If our wide receivers can't get separation this week, they never will. Hopefully our QB has gained some confidence with 2 weeks of practice repitition.

Reilly
11-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Forecast showing a high of 39 degrees Saturday.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-06-2017, 05:04 PM

If our wide receivers can't get separation this week, they never will. Hopefully our QB has gained some confidence with 2 weeks of practice repitition.

That is very surprising to me.

A few weeks ago I mentioned here that Army was looking like a tough matchup and folks were unimpressed. Timeshave changed a bit.

Bob Green
11-06-2017, 05:16 PM
The over/under is currently set at 47.5 points. The past seven Duke games have been under:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/duke

Reilly
11-06-2017, 10:22 PM

Per the SRS, Duke is rated as about 1 point better on a neutral field .. so if Army gets 3 points for home field, Army would be a 2 point favorite. And it is Veterans Day.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2017-ratings.html

Has Army been getting big crowds? Surprised at the Stubhub prices.

Reilly
11-06-2017, 10:35 PM
Army's 2017 results, ordered by margin of victory/loss. Opponent # is where the opponent is in the SRS. The highest ranked team they've beaten is #81 EMU.

Fordham +58 (FCS)
@Rice +37 (#124)
@AFA +21 (#87)
UTEP +14 (#130 ... of 130 teams)
Buffalo +04 (#88)
Temple +03 (#89)
EMU +01 (#81)
---------------------------
@Tulane -04 (#85)
@Ohio State -31 (#7)

Bob Green
11-07-2017, 04:55 AM
And it is Veterans Day. :confused:

That is irrelevant. I'm a 30 year veteran of the U.S. Navy but when I play golf on Veteran's Day, my score does not improve.

du_bb1
11-07-2017, 07:59 AM
USAF Vet here--on Veterans day we allowed to play from the red tees.........

Bob Green
11-07-2017, 08:46 AM
USAF Vet here--on Veterans day we allowed to play from the red tees.....

I thought you Air Force guys always play from the red tees. :D

CrazyNotCrazie
11-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Per the SRS, Duke is rated as about 1 point better on a neutral field .. so if Army gets 3 points for home field, Army would be a 2 point favorite. And it is Veterans Day.

Has Army been getting big crowds? Surprised at the Stubhub prices.

I was also surprised at the prices. I think face was close to $50, and now it looks like the cheapest seats on Stubhub are $80. It is the last home game of the year and senior day (and Veterans Day), and Army is playing dramatically better than in past years, but this seemed very high to me. But if Army can fill the stadium at those prices, then my hat is off to them. I live in the area but unfortunately cannot make it, but I strongly recommend the trip to anyone who can go. Get there early for all of the parades, etc. And it is a beautiful stadium with the leaves changing. The forecast is for 45 and sunny on Saturday.

devildeac
11-07-2017, 09:40 AM
USAF Vet here--on Veterans day we allowed to play from the red tees....

I thought you Air Force guys always play from the red tees. :D

Zing. I'll bet you've seen your last air support for any of your fishing trips:rolleyes:.

Dev11
11-07-2017, 10:36 AM
I'll be there, so Duke better win.

Curious to see how we defend a totally one-dimensional offense. The defense this year has been most susceptible to the big play, but it's hard for an offense to produce a big play without a passing game. This could be a nice way for us to end the losing streak.

Bob, if you have anti-Army propaganda you want me to spread, I'm open for business.

Henderson
11-07-2017, 11:26 AM

That's pretty interesting. I like that kind of creative stuff, like the high school teams that never punt.

Reilly
11-07-2017, 12:24 PM
... now it looks like the cheapest seats on Stubhub are $80 ...

And an $85 Stubhub ticket comes with about $25+ in fees, too (UPS, etc ..).

Bob Green
11-08-2017, 06:35 PM
Coach Cutcliffe on practice:

Andrea Adelson
ESPN Staff Writer

Duke coach David Cutcliffe said he had his scout team go live -- including cut blocking -- against his starting defense to simulate what Army does on offense. "I don't think you can stand and stare at that offense to have a chance to stop to it," Cutcliffe said. "We went full tilt, so hopefully that will help us."

Dukelogger
11-09-2017, 10:33 AM
The season ends with three "quality" (probably reaching here) opponents that we match up favorably against. My concern is facing two option, cut-blocking teams in back to back weeks might result in a depleted d-line, but if we win out I think the Independence Bowl is still a distant possibility, meaning my hopes for the 2017 season are still in play:
1. Beat the goats in Chapel Hole
2. Win vs. Big Ten, Big 12, and SEC in same season
3. Two Bowl Game winning streak

This will probably be my last Duke FB post if we lose Saturday, but...I'm saying there's a chance!

chrishoke
11-09-2017, 11:03 AM
The season ends with three "quality" (probably reaching here) opponents that we match up favorably against. My concern is facing two option, cut-blocking teams in back to back weeks might result in a depleted d-line, but if we win out I think the Independence Bowl is still a distant possibility, meaning my hopes for the 2017 season are still in play:

This will probably be my last Duke FB post if we lose Saturday, but...I'm saying there's a chance!

SEC?

CameronBornAndBred
11-09-2017, 11:15 AM
SEC?

Depending on a possible bowl opponent, it could happen.

devildeac
11-09-2017, 11:19 AM

SEC?

Probably confused with #1 in the list and meant Severely Ethically Challenged. ;)

Bob Green
11-09-2017, 01:57 PM
The good guys will be wearing all white against the Black Knights!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOM5ECoUEAAzPwn.jpg

Dukelogger
11-09-2017, 02:13 PM
Probably confused with #1 in the list and meant Severely Ethically Challenged. ;)

Well done. And yes, I meant the highly unlikely pipedream that everything falls into place and we back into a bowl bid matching us up with an SEC team (Shreveport/Birmingham) but now I realize I can use that joke on UNCheat friends for an entire year if (when) we do not play and beat an SEC team in the bowl, so I'm torn. Still, not a bad consolation prize!

budwom
11-09-2017, 02:38 PM

I don't see how we match up favorably against either Wake or GT at this point. Both are winnable games, but the offense needs to re-invent itself.

Reilly
11-09-2017, 09:52 PM
... the offense needs to re-invent itself.

Joe Gibbs was a famed co-architect of Air Coryell in SD, tried to do it in DC, started 0-5, and so began handing off to John Riggins and deploying an H-back/two TEs. Been thinking we should do the same this year, w/ SW and BB playing the Riggo role, and using all our TEs, and just forget about the WRs for now.

duke2x
11-09-2017, 10:24 PM

The season really breaks down to Army, GT, and Wake in that order of difficulty. Army is a very confident team and very good at home. Duke is their 2nd most talented opponent on the year behind Ohio State (38-7 L). GT fans are really down on their somewhat enigmatic team. They still need 2 wins of VT, @Duke, and UGA to bowl unless they make up @UCF. Wake is playing much better this year despite our general history of playing them close.

I'm not getting the Indy Bowl vibe, particularly with FSU rescheduling its home game against LA-Monroe on 12/2 in a panic. I've been saying for a while Duke might get a better bowl if it gets snubbed by the ACC, but we really need to be 6-6 instead of 5-7 + a record DBR vigil.

OldPhiKap
11-09-2017, 10:32 PM
Big game, feeling good. Get it done, gents. Get it done.

devildeac
11-10-2017, 12:42 AM
If we don't win, we get the N&O to vote us the worst FB team in the ACC next week now that the cheaters won their game this week. :mad:

OldPhiKap
11-10-2017, 07:05 AM
If we don't win, we get the N&O to vote us the worst FB team in the ACC next week now that the cheaters won their game this week. :mad:

We got this one. No worries.

duke79
11-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Cold day tomorrow at West Point. High at game time around 32 but, luckily, light winds and plenty of sunshine. Let's hope the team is ready, psychologically and physically, for the colder temps. I like about 1.5 hours north of West Point and very windy and cold today with snow flurries in the air. Brrrrr!

Avvocato
11-10-2017, 09:59 AM
I live in the area but unfortunately can't make the game. I hope plenty of others can make it out. It's a great scene and atmosphere. Enjoy.

Army is definitely a different team than what we've faced the past few years. They are tough and confident and a real threat. With that said, we have to win this game (master of the obvious here). The good thing is that we have actually played well against option teams the past few years (having played both Army and Ga Tech each year the past few years). With our vastly improved defensive line and our depth and talent at linebacker, I expect our defense to play well. Although we have been offensively challenged the past few weeks (as I said, master of the obvious), if we can get a lead against Army, you can pull them out of their comfort zone and force them to have to pass more. Let's get our confidence back, end the losing streak, and get ready to close out the season. There's still time to salvage this season, but it starts Saturday. Get a win, and then we should be feeling good getting ready to play another option attack.

I haven't posted in a few weeks, so just a few other thoughts. I won't get into specific games, but the one thing that has truly amazed and disappointed me is that typically, you see teams progress over the course of the season. Last year, although the record wasn't great, you saw the growth in Jones and the younger players. We've seen a regression with the offense and we haven't seen a real plan to change it or any meaningful progress. That's on the players, but it's also very much on the coaches. They need to assess where the team is at and make adjustments, whether it's personnel, scheme, etc. I feel like we are seeing the same movie each week on offense for the most part (hat off to the defense). Also, I've never seen a team that plays to its weakness and away from its strength the way Duke has. We all know that we have run the ball well. Yet we continue to ignore the running game as a significant weapon. I'm not one that says to just run the ball all day, but play to your strength. Run more to set up the pass, especially when the passing game is not clicking the way it should. If you are not doing a great job pass protecting, or guys need more time to get open, run the ball more, set up more third and shorts, set up play action passes, etc. Possess the ball, help your defense, and wear down the opposing team's defense. I know we are all frustrated about it, but that was my two cents.

With that said, I believe that we can get on track this week. I think that Jones will be able to pass some, I think we will run effectively, and while I believe Army will play tough, I think we have a little too much size and talent and will get a much needed win. But don't assume anything. Time to man up, play to your potential, the coaches better be on it, attack, be aggressive, and take care of business. The season starts Saturday. Let's get it done. Let's go Duke!

Bob Green
11-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Army is a very confident team and very good at home.

This game is very similar to the Duke - Navy game on October 12, 2013 with the obvious exception of Duke being on the road instead of the service academy team. Navy arrived in Durham with a 3-1 record led by a dynamic quarterback (Keenan Reynolds) to face the 3-2 Blue Devils. Duke whipped the Midshipmen 35-7. Navy was a talented team which went on to finish the season 9-4 beating Middle Tennessee State 24-6 in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Army at 7-2 is a talented football team led by a dynamic quarterback (Ahmad Bradshaw) and they have already accepted an invitation to play in the Armed Forces Bowl.

The offense must find a way to string together positive plays to sustain drives and score points. Jumping out to an early lead to force Army to play from behind would create an advantage. The defense is strong against the run so I am confident we can contain Bradshaw especially if we can force him out of his comfort zone by forcing him to pass the ball.

Special teams creating a little magic would be helpful.

jv001
11-10-2017, 01:09 PM
This game is very similar to the Duke - Navy game on October 12, 2013 with the obvious exception of Duke being on the road instead of the service academy team. Navy arrived in Durham with a 3-1 record led by a dynamic quarterback (Keenan Reynolds) to face the 3-2 Blue Devils. Duke whipped the Midshipmen 35-7. Navy was a talented team which went on to finish the season 9-4 beating Middle Tennessee State 24-6 in the Armed Forces Bowl.

Army at 7-2 is a talented football team led by a dynamic quarterback (Ahmad Bradshaw) and they have already accepted an invitation to play in the Armed Forces Bowl.

The offense must find a way to string together positive plays to sustain drives and score points. Jumping out to an early lead to force Army to play from behind would create an advantage. The defense is strong against the run so I am confident we can contain Bradshaw especially if we can force him out of his comfort zone by forcing him to pass the ball.

Special teams creating a little magic would be helpful.

The only way I'm concerned about Duke's defense is if the offense doesn't hold up their end. A tired Duke defense will more than likely mean defeat. Play calling will have to be better, the offensive line must show improvement and Daniel will have to get back to last season's form. Do all three and we should come out on top. Worst case scenario is my branch of the service wins. GoDuke!

Reilly
11-10-2017, 02:51 PM
"Tangled Up in Blue" came on the car radio as I was driving toward West Point this afternoon. Perhaps a good sign.

jv001
11-10-2017, 02:53 PM
"Tangled Up in Blue" came on the car radio as I was driving toward West Point this afternoon. Perhaps a good sign.

Let's hope so. GoDuke!

budwom
11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Joe Gibbs was a famed co-architect of Air Coryell in SD, tried to do it in DC, started 0-5, and so began handing off to John Riggins and deploying an H-back/two TEs. Been thinking we should do the same this year, w/ SW and BB playing the Riggo role, and using all our TEs, and just forget about the WRs for now.

as good an idea as any...our WRs can't get separation, we have a plethora of good tight ends whom we currently use insufficiently....plus they can block...I did advocate here or TDD a few weeks ago we go with three
tight ends since at least they could block and couldn't be any worse at pass catching...

Reilly
11-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Gameday Saturday. Fight, fight Blue Devils ...

YmoBeThere
11-11-2017, 05:54 AM
For the cord cutters out there, any ideas how to see CBSSN?

OldPhiKap
11-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Go Duke!!

Bob Green
11-11-2017, 07:23 AM
I'm going to say it early this morning and then let it go. We will all see how it plays out. Run the Ball! I desire to see us run more than we pass. Hopefully, the game plan includes two back sets and double tight end formations. Let's play some smash mouth football.

Go Duke! Beat Army!!

du_bb1
11-11-2017, 07:51 AM
I'm going to say it early this morning and then let it go. We will all see how it plays out. Run the Ball! I desire to see us run more than we pass. Hopefully, the game plan includes two back sets and double tight end formations. Let's play some smash mouth football.

Go Duke! Beat Army!!

As told by a TRUE Navy man ! :cool:

CameronBlue
11-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Glad to have the Bye game in the rear-view mirror (bye-bye Bye...hmmm, I wonder...nah). So as I’ve been tearing my hair out the past few games screaming for a more run oriented attack to various gods not in evidence, I did so in recognition that I may not be seeing what Cut sees. He’s the QB whisperer the brain in the Duke FB braintrust that I trust the most. With a young QB wiho apparently has pro potential maybe he has vision for this kid and this offense I am just not seeing. Sometimes you have to take your lumps in pursuit of grander dreams I get that. But here we are lining up against a team that we should beat, a team that on paper we out-talent. If Cut stays with this “look” we must see better execution on the field and better situational awareness from the coaches. If not I will truly begin to wonder whether Cut knows where he is headed with this group of kids—his recruits. This is a “program” game imho. GGGGGGOOOOOO. DUKE!

-jk
11-11-2017, 11:36 AM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

budwom
11-11-2017, 11:45 AM

Go Duke! Beat Army!!

yup, against a ball control team, we simply can't afford the plethora of three and outs we've suffered in recent weeks. We have significantly more talent than Army....it's time to use it properly.

riverside6
11-11-2017, 12:07 PM
Live stats and play analysis for Duke/Army

https://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-army-football-live-stats-11112017

peloton
11-11-2017, 12:30 PM
It's time to show we've still got some fight left in us...this season isn't over, no sir. Let's go Duke!!

TKG
11-11-2017, 12:38 PM
yup, against a ball control team, we simply can't afford the plethora of three and outs we've suffered in recent weeks. We have significantly more talent than Army...it's time to use it properly.

Not so sure about the talent gap. They seem to be our equal on lateral speed and their O line is moving our D line pretty easily (and we know what is coming - Army did not attempt a single pass in the 1Q). If it is a matter of desire then we may be in deep trouble.

peteandpete
11-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Gee, so glad we had an extra week to prepare.

fuse
11-11-2017, 12:43 PM
I’m going to try to stay positive and say it is a testament to how far the program has come to be so excrutiatingly disappointed in Duke’s football team’s performance this year.

Honestly struggling with why and how. #notgoingbowling

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-11-2017, 12:46 PM
Looks like I tuned in just in time to tune back out. Sheesh.

TKG
11-11-2017, 12:47 PM
We are just awful, in all phases.

tteettimes
11-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Need to change QBs.....how could it be any worse?

TKG
11-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Where is the bottom for this team? Jones has a Intentitional Grounding, a ball batted down at the line of scrimmage and a fumble and it is not even halftime.

OZ
11-11-2017, 12:55 PM
We may come back and win by fifty; but right now we are just awful... O, D and special teams. They are sleep walking. They are being outplayed, out manned and out hustled.

TKG
11-11-2017, 12:58 PM
TD Army.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

AGDukesky
11-11-2017, 12:59 PM
I really like Cutcliffe as a human being and he has done some great things at Duke. However he really benefitted from easy schedules and some bad years for the ACC where Duke typically avoided the only good teams.

peteandpete
11-11-2017, 01:01 PM
Just wow.

Sixthman
It would appear we redesigned our defense with a week off and the result is our best defensive player, Joe Giles-Harris, has been taken out of the game.

paris95
This is a pathetic effort coming out of a bye week. I don't care how solid this Army team is and how much better they've gotten, there is no excuse for a team with as much raw talent as we have getting absolutely blown off the field in all three phases by Army.

Cut HAS to see that some big things need to change on the coaching front. There is no other option. We cannot keep the same coaching going forward. I'm a long way from saying Cut has to go, he's done way too much to get us to where we are and where we can be, but if he isn't willing to make some serious changes, he will have one more year before his chair needs to warm up.

fuse
11-11-2017, 01:04 PM
For the cord cutters out there, any ideas how to see CBSSN?

At this point, I’d say it’s no small mercy to be unable to watch.

Locally, TV options like Ant Man and Chronicles of Riddick appear to be better uses of time.

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-11-2017, 01:04 PM
A good start would be to can Roper. Same damn stupid crap every week.

TheDevilMadeMeDoIt
11-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Finally a good drive, but I still hate the stupid tick play, which as usual didn't work. Am I becoming optimistic to just have my spirit crushed. I should know better after 50 years of this crap!

killerleft
11-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Great drive. The way this game was going, a touchdown was a must. Gotta pick up the defense now.

dukelifer
11-11-2017, 01:15 PM
I really like Cutcliffe as a human being and he has done some great things at Duke. However he really benefitted from easy schedules and some bad years for the ACC where Duke typically avoided the only good teams.

And to what period are you comparing? Duke will always struggle to be a consistently good football program in the current era. This team is competitive but not winning. Cut is the right head coach but getting and keeping good assistant coaches requires a lot of resources. That is an issue and not easily solved at Duke without a significant influx of cash - which usually comes from the gate.

killerleft
11-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Agree with the announcers. Bad time out. We had plenty of time to score without calling it. Of course, it DOES show some confidence in the team, which clearly could use some.

75Crazie
11-11-2017, 01:17 PM
We cannot keep the same coaching going forward. I'm a long way from saying Cut has to go, he's done way too much to get us to where we are and where we can be, but if he isn't willing to make some serious changes, he will have one more year before his chair needs to warm up.
(Emphasis is mine) All I can do is shake my head. I'll say this once and shut up ... Cutcliffe has done enough in his 10 years at Duke to get a pass for life from me, as long as there are no criminal or moral shenanigans that are exposed (and I do not expect either to happen). This suggestion that he might have one more year almost makes me physically sick.

TKG
11-11-2017, 01:25 PM
DJ - smh.

killerleft
11-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Well, I knew to whom Jones was going to throw, since he never took his eyes off Rahming for a second.

CameronBlue
11-11-2017, 01:31 PM
(Emphasis is mine) All I can do is shake my head. I'll say this once and shut up ... Cutcliffe has done enough in his 10 years at Duke to get a pass for life from me, as long as there are no criminal or moral shenanigans that are exposed (and I do not expect either to happen). This suggestion that he might have one more year almost makes me physically sick.

Agree.

jafarr1
11-11-2017, 01:31 PM
I don't care if we're playing Army or Alabama, there is no excuse for putting forth an effort like this coming out of a bye week. None.

CameronBlue
11-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I don't care if we're playing Army or Alabama, there is no excuse for putting forth an effort like this coming out of a bye week. None.

Also agree. The most impressive characteristic of Cut-coached teams to date has been effort. Not today, this is putrid.

YmoBeThere
11-11-2017, 01:37 PM
At this point, I’d say it’s no small mercy to be unable to watch.

Locally, TV options like Ant Man and Chronicles of Riddick appear to be better uses of time.

Youtube TV 7 day trial is the option I took. I'll cancel before it is over. I use Sling which gets me the ACC Network, which meets most of my Duke watching needs.

Thankfully, I waited until late in the second quarter to start watching. In my mind it is 7-7 as long as I don't look at the scoreboard.

Mabdul Doobakus
11-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Any talk of removing Cutcliffe is about 5 years premature. Assistant coaches are a different matter.

I haven't seen a second of today's game, but if the effort is as has been described on here, then that's obviously disappointing. Nonetheless, looking at the box score, it doesn't seem like we're getting blown off the field by any means. Two turnovers and a blocked punt and we're still in it.

paris95
11-11-2017, 01:55 PM

Let me clarify as I don't think we're as far off as it might seem. I believe Cut has damn near walked on water for bringing the Duke program literally back from the dead. I would never have believed that Duke could have achieved the success we've achieved the last 5 years. I would have bet my life against it, in fact. That success was entirely possible from Cut, the players, and the coaches that made it happen. I'm in the camp that he deserves a statue, or "David Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade" type of recognition based on what he's done so far, regardless of anything that happens in the future. I also agree that he deserves and has earned a lot of leeway for this success. Those that are saying he should go now are out of their minds crazy, and not even worth responding too. We don't have many on this board and maybe I'm spending too much time on 247.

We also have to have reasonable expectations for Duke. Just because we've had some good years doesn't mean we're going to be good year in and year out. We're not at Stanford level consistency although I think that should be the goal. Having a few 4-8 years is just going to happen to Duke FB for a while, and those are much more palatable when there are some 8, 9, 10 win ones in there periodically.

At the same time, saying he has a lifetime pass is over the top. I did not mean that he should be gone if we have another year like this one next season. What I said was, there needs to be some pressure on Cut if we have another year like this. Not that he should be shown the door, but more of a Kevin White message of, "We can and should do better, what are you going to do to get us there" type of conversation and not accepting a plan that doesn't involve some changes. We've come too far already and have too much talent to have 4 win seasons three years in a row. Last year can be dismissed because of injuries, this year we're really young (still should be doing better in my book but if we were progressing but still losing I'd be ok), but past that, should we really accept 4 win seasons? Cut has shown that we can do better and I think he is the guy to get us there, but he may need some pushing to make changes that will get us there.

Am I getting ahead of myself a bit? Probably, but praising Cutcliffe for what he's done and yet pushing for us to be better than the ineffective team we've been for big chunks of the last two seasons are not mutually exclusive.

peteandpete
11-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Third & eight.....Army is dropping into coverage.....why not run twice....and where is Wilson?

4Gen
11-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Daniel, throw the ball in there and see what happens. Even an interception would have been better than an incompletion, probably.

killerleft
11-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Another must-have TD. Go Defense!

paris95
11-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Needed that TD. Defense has played very well so far, but we need another big stop from them now. Army working the body, so to speak, with the FB up the gut. Gotta keep them out of the end zone here. Offense showing some signs of life, but I don't think we can muster two more TDs.

TKG
11-11-2017, 02:43 PM
Time for Roper and DJ to step up....

peloton
11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Let's do this! C'mon Blue Devils!!

killerleft
11-11-2017, 02:46 PM
'Nother big play! Ramsay with the block!

DownEastDevil
11-11-2017, 02:55 PM
DJ just holds the ball to long. Don't we have any quick slants in the playbook?

peteandpete
11-11-2017, 03:02 PM
Defense gives up 14 and we still lose.

JD for Three!
11-11-2017, 03:04 PM

Amen! It creates sacks and goofy plays in the backfield. It also lets the defense close any space that our receivers create. It is a consistent thing that he does. It should be something the coaches can fix. Hopefully the examples from this game will be obvious. Throw a few more incompletions instead of taking so many losses

paris95
11-11-2017, 03:05 PM

We seem to get desperate in these situations and think we have to get it all in big chunks, leading us to run long routes that develop slowly. 4 minutes is a ton of time, particularly with two timeouts, and plenty of time to mix in some runs and short passes to get down the field and give ourselves a chance. Experience, both on the field and up in the press box (I'm talking about OC calling plays, not Cut) would be helpful but we don't have that right now. Our QB is a soph who is still learning and our OC is only in his second year of coaching offense and obviously still learning as well.

Assuming this score holds up, this probably means goodbye to our bowl chances as I don't see us beating both GT and Wake. Will take a pretty big upset to win either game at this point.

richardjackson199
11-11-2017, 03:08 PM
Budwom looks safe to not be waxing anybody's car

YmoBeThere
11-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Assuming this score holds up, this probably means goodbye to our bowl chances as I don't see us beating both GT and Wake. Will take a pretty big upset to win either game at this point.

I'll go out on a limb and say that an 8 game losing streak is how we finish the season.

I'm disappointed in J G-H, I think we have to face it that his play is not all above board.

Hope Humphries is okay.

JD for Three!
11-11-2017, 03:14 PM
We seem to get desperate in these situations and think we have to get it all in big chunks, leading us to run long routes that develop slowly. 4 minutes is a ton of time, particularly with two timeouts, and plenty of time to mix in some runs and short passes to get down the field and give ourselves a chance. Experience, both on the field and up in the press box (I'm talking about OC calling plays, not Cut) would be helpful but we don't have that right now. Our QB is a soph who is still learning and our OC is only in his second year of coaching offense and obviously still learning as well.

I don’t think it is the way the plays are designed. It feels like Jones just doesn’t yet understand how to read the defense, go through the reads and throw it away if necessary. It even feels like he delays the running plays that are called for him. All of the blocking schemes are gone by the time he takes off.
I’m not a hater. He is very talented, and I think he will continue to grow. Just would like to see the coaches speed up the time he holds the ball.
Disappointing loss. Didn’t feel like a really inept ACC officiating crew helped much

jafarr1
11-11-2017, 03:18 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that an 8 game losing streak is how we finish the season.

That's not really going out on a limb.

YmoBeThere
11-11-2017, 03:22 PM
That's not really going out on a limb.

Okay, true statement. LOL! Going out on a limb would be saying we will be bowl eligible...

OZ
11-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Our defense adjusted and had a shutout in the second half. Over all, our offense looked the same... even coming up short again in the red zone. Against Army's defense - which has given up 38 to Ohio State, 17 to Buffalo, 21 to Tulane, 21 to UTEP, 27 to E. Mich and 28 to Temple - we got 16 points. Same plays... same results.
Just wondering why our special team plays - kick offs, punts and kick off receiving - looked like kindergarten fire drills?
Oh well; on my way to Cameron.

paris95
11-11-2017, 03:25 PM
I don’t think it is the way the plays are designed. It feels like Jones just doesn’t yet understand how to read the defense, go through the reads and throw it away if necessary. It even feels like he delays the running plays that are called for him. All of the blocking schemes are gone by the time he takes off.
I’m not a hater. He is very talented, and I think he will continue to grow. Just would like to see the coaches speed up the time he holds the ball.

Agree, that's part of it too. He's holding the ball too long. The OL/RBs aren't always giving him a lot of time, but he's got to get rid of the ball quicker. He just hasn't seemed comfortable in a while. He's throwing off of his back foot and turning his body sideways which is killing his accuracy. We're also not running the ball enough or well enough when we do run it to help him out. No easy answers for sure, but I do believe we've had better offenses with less talent than we have now. The defense has been great this year, our health has been remarkable, and yet we're likely going to end the year with 4 wins because our offense can't seem to muster more than 2 TDs a game.

jv001
11-11-2017, 03:36 PM
To say that D. Jones has regressed this season from last, is an understatement. He can't read the progressions when he does have time to throw. On a couple of occasions it looked like Coach Cut had some stern words for him on the sideline. Those in attendance could probably add more. I really thought our tight ends would have been used more often and our special teams play today was bad as well. I'm glad that bb season has finally arrived. Maybe that will make me feel better. GoDuke!

JD for Three!
11-11-2017, 03:49 PM
My big issue with the refs was the ticky-tack personal foul calls that happened admittedly against both teams. Not representative of D1 ball, and I think the timing of the calls against Duke cane at critical points of the game.

A balanced, really poorly called game.

53n206
11-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Yes, Jones does hold the ball too long. But even the premier passing quarterbacks in college football would seem to hold the ball to long if they've faced the pressure Jones has on him. Even then , our open receivers seem to be wasted.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2017, 04:28 PM
I don't have anything nice to say, so I will keep it to "I'm happy we have a 3:30 KO next week and get to enjoy a fun last tailgate".

Devilwin
11-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Had to work so I recorded the game. Listened to it, however. Mrs Devilwin deleted it for me, bless her heart. Saved me the agony. Sounds like Jones had no chance. All I heard was sack, sack, and sack. We made a few good plays but the anemic offense let us down again. I tend to agree with those that say we've won our last game.. But hope springs eternal..Don't it, folks?
:confused:

budwom
11-11-2017, 04:38 PM
Budwom looks safe to not be waxing anybody's car

Regrettably this is true, Turtle Wax goes to the basement until next year. After a very promising start, what a soul crushing season it has been. Little chance of winning either of the last two.
The offensive collapse is just overwhelming, we're so bad in every respect....nonetheless, I'll be back for more (punishment or reward?) next Fall.

BandAlum83
11-11-2017, 04:47 PM
Oh well...

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Sounds like Jones had no chance. All I heard was sack, sack, and sack.

He had lots of chances. More than a few of those sacks are on him. Bad decision making. GET RID OF THE BALL!

devildeac
11-11-2017, 04:53 PM
Oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjfjO2Y1H4

"I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"

brlftz
11-11-2017, 05:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjfjO2Y1H4

"I can't help about the shape I'm in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty and my legs are thin
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to"

The last 2/3 of that clip were pretty surprisingly fitting for this topic also

jafarr1
11-11-2017, 05:18 PM
He had lots of chances. More than a few of those sacks are on him. Bad decision making. GET RID OF THE BALL!

Delayed weak-side blitz. Jones holds the ball too long. Sack. Drink.

Olympic Fan
11-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Heartbreaking loss to essentially end a heartbreaking season.

What kills me is that in 2013, 2014, 2015, I thought Duke was one of the best coached teams in the country -- few mistakes, great special teams, smart QB play.

Last year, I give the staff a pass -- that was year dominated by injuries and youth at key positions.

But this team has experience, almost no injuries and suddenly looks like they don't know how to play the game.

Take Shaun Wilson, who did have a strong KO return to open the second half. But three times in the first half, he let the ball drop in front of him and we get nothing on those returns. Late in the half, we're going to get good field position on an Army punt and TJ Rahming lets the ball hit in front of him.

I agree that most of the sacks were Daniel Jones' fault. They talk about having a clock in your head ... I think Jones is relying on a calendar.

Ah, well, the 2017 football season ended for me today about 3 p.m. I know it's still mathematically possible for Duke to earn a bowl trip, but I can't see it happening.

At least we have basketball to look forward to.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2017, 05:30 PM
But this team has experience, almost no injuries and suddenly looks like they don't know how to play the game.

Nothing about your post I disagree with, and again, I'm stressing this, so I'm using this quote to reiterate.

"The fastest, most talented team we've had yet."
Not a direct quote since I can't find it, but essentially those are the words we heard over and over again going into this season. Beyond disappointing.
Has any Duke team had a 6 game slide since Cutcliffe took the helm? Certainly not one with lofty expectations from the staff themselves.

TNTDevil
11-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Yes, Jones does hold the ball too long. But even the premier passing quarterbacks in college football would seem to hold the ball to long if they've faced the pressure Jones has on him. Even then , our open receivers seem to be wasted.I'll sign-on to most of this but, the biggest disappointment, for me, is that there's almost no one on the offense who can consistently make plays.

Recent years past we may not have been as quick and/or talented but, we had guys who made plays.

As for Jones' regression, I'm as baffled as the rest of us.

Devilwin
11-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Maybe we should recruit Napoleon's Uncle Ricco. Back in '82, he could throw a football a quarter mile...lol

Bob Green
11-11-2017, 06:16 PM
I'm extremely disappointed in the results on the field...

Not a lot of comments about today's game seeing as I didn't get to see it plus was unable to follow it on social media except for most of the 1st quarter. I had a social engagement today, the type of social engagement you don't say no to.

Looking over the box score and videos I find it incomprehensible that we had a punt blocked and returned for a TD. Unbelievable! I'll defer to those who actually watched the game for detailed analysis of what went wrong but the wheels came off this team at some point and it completely baffles and saddens me.

I'll still be in the stands next week but my heart will not be in it. Football season is over. :mad: Changes must be made.

Sigh!

JD for Three!
11-11-2017, 07:55 PM
With all of the things we can pick at, the real frustration is that they are not far from having a very different record. I guess maybe that is where the assistant coaches become big factors. Coach Cut has shown he can create a game plan to take on anyone. Maybe the assistants need to execute that plan better.
Frustrating for a fan, but imagine how these good young men must feel.

CameronBornAndBred
11-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Not a lot of comments about today's game seeing as I didn't get to see it plus was unable to follow it on social media except for most of the 1st quarter. I had a social engagement today, the type of social engagement you don't say no to.

Looking over the box score and videos I find it incomprehensible that we had a punt blocked and returned for a TD. Unbelievable! I'll defer to those who actually watched the game for detailed analysis of what went wrong but the wheels came off this team at some point and it completely baffles and saddens me.

I'll still be in the stands next week but my heart will not be in it. Football season is over. :mad: Changes must be made.

Sigh!
The irony of your statement, Bob, is that had you been able to watch, you would have LOVED the opening. We coughed up a big return on the kickoff, and then played strong D. And then, WE RAN THE BALL! That's how we drove up to the redzone, which once again we didn't capitalize on. But, it was early, and we got three, and we did it by RUNNING THE BALL! I even said in chat, "Well, at least Bob will be happy".
And then, you never smiled again. Well maybe a slight weak one, but not a "hell yeah we're gonna win this" smile.

devildeac
11-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Nothing about your post I disagree with, and again, I'm stressing this, so I'm using this quote to reiterate.

Not a direct quote since I can't find it, but essentially those are the words we heard over and over again going into this season. Beyond disappointing.
Has any Duke team had a 6 game slide since Cutcliffe took the helm? Certainly not one with lofty expectations from the staff themselves.

To add to what you posted, I thought I remember hearing (at various times), the strongest, fastest, deepest, most talented team since Cut has been here. Highly, and sadly, disappointing. Not an obituary, as another earlier thread insinuated as the season isn't over yet, but my expectations are extremely deflated after the loss today.

devildeac
11-11-2017, 09:30 PM

Sigh!

And the devildeacs will be seated nearby, still trying to cheer, but it will be rather difficult. :(

chrishoke
11-11-2017, 09:45 PM
And the devildeacs will be seated nearby, still trying to cheer, but it will be rather difficult. :(

I'll be there with my gang. It won't be hard to cheer. I've been doing it for 55 years, through lots of misery, almost beyond imagination. But it will be impossible to be optimistic or even hopeful. This season is toast. We are once again a poorly coached team - on offense.

AustinDevil
11-11-2017, 10:01 PM
I'll be there with my gang. It won't be hard to cheer. I've been doing it for 55 years, through lots of misery, almost beyond imagination. But it will be impossible to be optimistic or even hopeful. This season is toast. We are once again a poorly coached team - on offense.

Not just on offense. And I’ll be in Wally Wade this coming Saturday as well.

JD for Three!
11-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Not just on offense. And I’ll be in Wally Wade this coming Saturday as well.

I envy all of you that live close to Duke. I would love to increase attendance at Wally Wade by one (two if I could find a date!)

Reilly
11-11-2017, 10:19 PM
... I had a social engagement today, the type of social engagement you don't say no to ...

This sounds suspicious/illegal.

tteettimes
11-11-2017, 10:28 PM

Yeah.....did you have to defend yourself ?..

Bob Green
11-11-2017, 10:42 PM

Yeah....did you have to defend yourself ?..

It is Veteran's Day. I spent 30 years and 26 days on active duty in the United States Navy. Today, I was invited to a social event. I attended that social event. It trumped Duke football. And those that know me well, know it takes a great deal to trump Duke football.

Reilly
11-11-2017, 11:02 PM
It is Veteran's Day ...

Don't know if they showed this on TV, but one of the highlights of the game in the stadium was when they introduced two West Point alums: a 96 y.o. WWII veteran who had spent time as a prisoner in Germany, and also a Vietnam vet who had spent 1800+ days as a prisoner. That, and the parachutists coming in pre-game, and the field-size flag at halftime, were all wonderful. As were the long-suffering Army fans who had good humor about their good fortune this year.

Most court proceedings are public, so we'll find out what you were up to eventually, Bob.

devilirium
11-12-2017, 12:33 AM
"With all of the things we can pick at, the real frustration is that they are not far from having a very different record"

The three game stretch prior to the VT loss--I suppose that you could make that case. But zero injuries, a returning QB, a decent defense, and the product (specifically the offense) gets worse every week. May have something to do with hiring a guy who had zero experience at calling plays. That seat is going to get plenty warm for Cut if the losing continues. He's pulling close to 3 mil and won 8 out of 22 (with 2 wins against a challenged NCCU team). That's unacceptable.

Benchwarmer
11-12-2017, 07:23 AM
"With all of the things we can pick at, the real frustration is that they are not far from having a very different record"

The three game stretch prior to the VT loss--I suppose that you could make that case. But zero injuries, a returning QB, a decent defense, and the product (specifically the offense) gets worse every week. May have something to do with hiring a guy who had zero experience at calling plays. That seat is going to get plenty warm for Cut if the losing continues. He's pulling close to 3 mil and won 8 out of 22 (with 2 wins against a challenged NCCU team). That's unacceptable.

The defense has played well enough to make us 8-2 if the offense were even half decent. The pass blocking is abysmal. Of all the receivers, only Rahming gets separation somewhat consistently. And yet with a mobile dual threat QB Roper insists on passing from the pocket 80-90% of the time. The OC and OL coach are going to get Daniel Jones killed. Cut lost his gig at Ole Miss because he wouldn't can assistants. Hopefully common sense will trump loyalty when the season is over. If not, I would have to say that he has taken the program as far as he can.

Bob Green
11-12-2017, 08:09 AM
Cut lost his gig at Ole Miss because he wouldn't can assistants. Hopefully common sense will trump loyalty when the season is over. If not, I would have to say that he has taken the program as far as he can.

The offensive game plan has to change! Shaun Wilson had seven carries against Army. Here are rushing attempts for several backs as a comparison:

Bryce Love (Stanford) - 30
Saquon Barkley (Penn St) - 14
Nyheim Hines (N.C. St) - 19
Justin Jackson (NW) - 25
Travis Etienne (Clemson) - 14
Travis Homer (Miami) - 18

I could go on but I've made my point. Give the ball to your most talented player - it isn't rocket science.

peteandpete
11-12-2017, 08:47 AM
Even the 4-0 start did not hide the fact that we had some problems scoring. Only a high scoring game against NCCU provides the illusion that the offense is nearly as productive as last season. Thankfully, the defense is much better. More talent, more experience, and fewer injuries should have resulted in a better record. In spite of all the ridiculous new ways we have discovered to hurt ourselves (blocked kicks, pick sixes, strange play calling, etc.), we have lost three games by one TD each and now one by five points (in which we elected to pass on a couple of FG opportunities). We beat #25 Northwestern, beat Baylor by a larger margin than did Oklahoma, and lost to Miami by less points than Notre Dame did. We should be at least 8-2. This team/program is being done a huge disservice if we continue to judge them according to bad performances from the bad old days. Bob Green's constant reminders about the abandonment of the running game are spot on. A coach's job is to prepare the athletes and put them in positions where they are more likely to be successful in reaching their potential. This has not happened this year. Last year's banged up group came much closer to reaching their potential. Unfortunately, this year, our program has taken a step back. I think it's time for some motivational activity for coaches and players. Love Duke football and plan to be there Saturday after a long drive from SC and it hurts to see such an opportunity for a great season gone. Time to do something about it guys. Time to get angry and take it out on Tech & Wake.

peteandpete
11-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Even the 4-0 start did not hide the fact that we had some problems scoring. Only a high scoring game against NCCU provides the illusion that the offense is nearly as productive as last season. Thankfully, the defense is much better. More talent, more experience, and fewer injuries should have resulted in a better record. In spite of all the ridiculous new ways we have discovered to hurt ourselves (blocked kicks, pick sixes, strange play calling, etc.), we have lost three games by one TD each and now one by five points (in which we elected to pass on a couple of FG opportunities). We beat #25 Northwestern, beat Baylor by a larger margin than did Oklahoma, and lost to Miami by less points than Notre Dame did. We should be at least 8-2. This team/program is being done a huge disservice if we continue to judge them according to bad performances from the bad old days. Bob Green's constant reminders about the abandonment of the running game are spot on. A coach's job is to prepare the athletes and put them in positions where they are more likely to be successful in reaching their potential. This has not happened this year. Last year's banged up group came much closer to reaching their potential. Unfortunately, this year, our program has taken a step back. I think it's time for some motivational activity for coaches and players. Love Duke football and plan to be there Saturday after a long drive from SC and it hurts to see such an opportunity for a great season gone. Time to do something about it guys. Time to get angry and take it out on Tech & Wake.

And UNC beat Pitt. They could finish ahead of us in the Coastal. Are we going to let that happen?

75Crazie
11-12-2017, 09:00 AM
That seat is going to get plenty warm for Cut if the losing continues. He's pulling close to 3 mil and won 8 out of 22 (with 2 wins against a challenged NCCU team). That's unacceptable.
No, what's unacceptable is your quote. I truly cannot believe the things I am reading here, and I've just about had it with following this board. I'll leave the room with this quote from J.D.'s home page article, which says it much more elegantly than I ever could:

David Cutcliffe could have bailed on us when Tennessee came calling but he proved that he is a loyal man and loyalty given deserves it back. We hope Coach Cut is Duke’s coach for just as long as he wants to be. He’s a damn good man and a good coach going through a tough stretch. This is the time to return the loyalty he has shown to all of us.

TKG
11-12-2017, 09:02 AM
And UNC beat Pitt. They could finish ahead of us in the Coastal. Are we going to let that happen?

Well, GT beat VT today and Wake put up 60+ points on Syracuse.

budwom
11-12-2017, 09:06 AM

We also have an inexperienced OL coach (and it shows), an inexperienced WR coach (and it shows) and a bad special teams coach (and it shows). I think we all have good feelings about Cutcliffe as he (along with the required HUGE commitment from the university, e.g. $100 million facility upgrade, competitive coaching salaries, etc) brought us back from the depths.

But this is a bad football team now, I believe quite clearly the very worst in the ACC once again (yes, we beat UNC, but they are improving, and have a rash of major injuries, while we have essentially none).

I thought Cut would make some changes after last season, but he didn't. It's pretty clear that MAJOR changes are needed. Good time for Cut to sit down with Kevin White to figure out what we do next.

For sure most of the loyal fans on this board will be back at WW for more next season, but at this point I see zero reason for optimism.

YmoBeThere
11-12-2017, 09:59 AM
Just for reference, we have won 56 games over the last 10 years(with two left to be played). The 20 years prior to that we won 58 games.

Devil549
11-12-2017, 10:53 AM
OL is not very good plain and simple, WR are not very good, did Bracey even play? QB has not played well since NW game and RB need to touch the ball more.....I think we can all agree with what I have just typed.

Special teams have gone from a strength to a liability past 2 seasons, exception Wilson on kick returns....again we all should be able to agree.

Defense has improved this year, good enough to give us a chance to win....IMO.

I really don't think we can beat either GT or WF because of our offense.

So at the end of this season I hope Coach Cut makes some tough decisions about schemes and staff. I do not believe Coach should be fired or the AD tell him to make staff changes HE must realize that and lead this program. If he does not then if we are not going to a bowl game next year the AD should make a change.

Coach K is a master at making changes but keeping core concepts and having a successful program. Now there are very few Coach K out there in all sports but if Coach Cut is the coach I think he is he makes necessary changes.

Finally I support Coach Cut and the team, always have always will but Dr White and the Duke administration have the rest of this season and next to make sure this football program never goes back to the type of program we had pre-Cut.

Reilly
11-12-2017, 10:57 AM
... did Bracey even play? ...

I believe I saw him out there -- but only noticed him out there for one play (may have been more, however).

AtlDuke72
11-12-2017, 11:01 AM
No, what's unacceptable is your quote. I truly cannot believe the things I am reading here, and I've just about had it with following this board. I'll leave the room with this quote from J.D.'s home page article, which says it much more elegantly than I ever could:

Amen!

AustinDevil
11-12-2017, 11:23 AM
I envy all of you that live close to Duke. I would love to increase attendance at Wally Wade by one (two if I could find a date!)

I live 1,338 miles from Duke.

TKG
11-12-2017, 11:27 AM
I live 1,338 miles from Duke.

So beyond the blast zone?

ehdg
11-12-2017, 12:03 PM
I took my wife and 10 year old daughter up to West Point yesterday or Veteran's Day to attend the Duke/Army football game. Let me first say it was COLD plus Army sat us behind the end zone in the shady side of the darn stadium so we had no sun for warmth!! I was very lucky to be seated next to a Duke Defensive player's family and found time to chat with the Dad and a couple of his friends with him. The dad and his friends had the same complaints that most of here have opined about. They agreed and wonder why we don't run the ball more with Wilson and Britton!! Our WR's haven't been helping Jones out much as they've dropped a lot of catch able balls and at Jones also has made some very poor decisions. They also don't blame Cut and really are frustrated with Roper and his play calling. Also for what ever the reason our football team doesn't get the same benefits as our basketball team with officiating. The football teams absolutely doesn't get the benefits of calls going their way much.

budwom
11-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Just for reference, we have won 56 games over the last 10 years(with two left to be played). The 20 years prior to that we won 58 games.

True, but we've been living on that stat for a few years now, and it's running on fumes. We're going to be dead last again in the ACC and have won only something like two of our last 13 or 14 ACC games, both
(pleasantly enough) vs the holes.

Reilly
11-12-2017, 12:44 PM
... Army sat us behind the end zone in the shady side of the darn stadium so we had no sun for warmth!! ... Also for what ever the reason our football team doesn't get the same benefits as our basketball team with officiating. The football teams absolutely doesn't get the benefits of calls going their way much.

Stubhub sat me in the sun all day b/c I chose where to sit. I felt for those in the shade ... but you make your own decisions. With Google maps, Stubhub, and knowledge of the sun's track across the sky, fans should be able to chase or avoid the sun as they need.

The Army fans around me squawked that Duke was getting all the calls. I actually thought Duke got its fair share yesterday. We had a push in the back on SW's long KO return that went uncalled. Not sure how close the DJ sack/fumble was to being a fumble (I thought he was down; the refs called him down after a long review). Army seemed to get the short end of the stick on a couple of ball spots as well.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2017, 01:11 PM
True, but we've been living on that stat for a few years now, and it's running on fumes. We're going to be dead last again in the ACC and have won only something like two of our last 13 or 14 ACC games, both
(pleasantly enough) vs the holes.

I would like to point out one more time that Duke was picked fourth or fifth in division preseason. If we pick up one or two wins our last two weeks, those prognosticators will be correct.

It was the four game win streak that stoked expections.

budwom
11-12-2017, 01:38 PM
I would like to point out one more time that Duke was picked fourth or fifth in division preseason. If we pick up one or two wins our last two weeks, those prognosticators will be correct.

It was the four game win streak that stoked expections.

That is, of course, a massive IF. I'd say our chances of winning either game are under 25%. (Wake scored 40 in the second half (!) yesterday at Syracuse, GT beat VTech).

ehdg
11-12-2017, 01:46 PM
Stubhub sat me in the sun all day b/c I chose where to sit. I felt for those in the shade ... but you make your own decisions. With Google maps, Stubhub, and knowledge of the sun's track across the sky, fans should be able to chase or avoid the sun as they need.

The Army fans around me squawked that Duke was getting all the calls. I actually thought Duke got its fair share yesterday. We had a push in the back on SW's long KO return that went uncalled. Not sure how close the DJ sack/fumble was to being a fumble (I thought he was down; the refs called him down after a long review). Army seemed to get the short end of the stick on a couple of ball spots as well.

Curious what did stub hub ask for tickets? I️ got mine through Duke for $45 each.

We didn’t like the unnecessary roughness call on our Defense they called that was reviewed. Only good thing is by reviewing the play/call they did rule it a turn over n gave us the ball. But still didn’t see any unnecessary roughness on that play specially since the play was still active with the fumble.

Plus how bout all the other calls that seemed to have gone against us this season.

sagegrouse
11-12-2017, 01:47 PM
Bob -- ON the blocked punt, Army's fullback Davidson came right up the middle. We had three blockers in position, and no one stopped him.

One problem on offense was that Jones bobbled or fumbled several snaps and then was a cycle late, resulting in a sack or a pressured pass that had no chance. He has been starting QB for two seasons now, this shouldn't be happening.

With respect to the game... well, I am happy it is basketball season.

budwom
11-12-2017, 01:55 PM
^agree with Sage, can't believe how many snaps Jones bobbled for no reason whatsoever, other than the fact he was looking downfield before he caught the ball, something he should have learned not to do in high school.

AustinDevil
11-12-2017, 02:29 PM
So beyond the blast zone?

Just refuting the assumption that living near Duke is required to make it to a game or two. Beat Tech!

uh_no
11-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Bob -- ON the blocked punt, Army's fullback Davidson came right up the middle. We had three blockers in position, and no one stopped him.

when the entire D line gets through the line, I can understand how those 3 guys had trouble.