View Full Version : FB: Duke 43, Georgia Tech 20

devildeac
11-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Hot off the keyboard.

How'd we get that time? :confused:

https://www.diehards.com/acc/acc-football-week-12-kickoff-times

jimsumner
11-06-2017, 05:43 PM
The Atlantic Coast Conference and its television partners announced the following game times and networks for the football games of November 18.

Saturday, Nov. 18
Virginia at Miami, noon, ABC or ESPN – network designation after the games of Nov. 11
Delaware State at Florida State, noon, RSN
The Citadel at Clemson, 12:20 p.m., ACC Network – split window
Pitt at Virginia Tech, 12:20 p.m., ACC Network – split window
Western Carolina at North Carolina, 3 p.m., ACC Network Extra
Syracuse at Louisville, 3:30 p.m., ESPN2 or ESPNU – network designation after the games of Nov. 11
Georgia Tech at Duke, 3:30 p.m., RSN
NC State at Wake Forest, 7:30 p.m., ESPNU

Reilly
11-12-2017, 10:13 AM
We have a lot to prove:

- want to win every time out;
- need to stop 6-game losing streak;
- beat a team we've played every year since 1933;
- need to show we can play clean football (field kickoffs! don't fumble when not hit! lead the receiver not turn him around on the swing pass! block! gameplan!);
- senior day;
- keep a .500 (or above) record and bowl eligibility hopes alive;
- how cool would it be going to play WFU w/ a bowl on the line;
- make the always smiling Paul Johnson have a scowl for once.

Go Duke.

TKG
11-12-2017, 10:25 AM
I wonder if Cut will put both players and coaches on notice that starting positions and jobs are up for grabs based on the final two games of the season. I have no knowledge that he hasn't already done so, but would love to hear him say so in this week's press conference(s). Gotta light a fire somehow.

Bob Green
11-12-2017, 06:51 PM
Georgia Tech opens as a 5.5 points favorite in Vegas. The line has moved to 6.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/odds/las-vegas/

chrishoke
11-12-2017, 07:29 PM

Unfortunately, easy money.

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:43 PM

I would have expected larger.

I will admit that I was in Clemson Saturday and missed our game. Have it taped, but having trouble bringing myself to watching it.

I hate Paul Johnson. Gotta get this one on so many levels. It ain’t over ‘til the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.

LGD!

TKG
11-12-2017, 07:54 PM
It ain’t over ‘til the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor.

How does it feel to be an Independent....... Notre Dame? (After the beat down in FL last night).

OldPhiKap
11-12-2017, 07:56 PM
How does it feel to be an Independent....... Notre Dame?

Exactly. Hung out to dry.

As long as they stay independent, ND essentially needs to go undefeated. One loss without a conference championship, or a conference lobbying for it, is not an appealing future.

jimsumner
11-12-2017, 08:43 PM

Is that six touchdowns?

arnie
11-12-2017, 09:02 PM

As long as they stay independent, ND essentially needs to go undefeated. One loss without a conference championship, or a conference lobbying for it, is not an appealing future.

I guess $$ stand in the way of ND making the top 4. The $15 million tv contract is likely keeping them from full membership; therefore limiting NC opportunities. The college sports way.

heyman25
11-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Like to see a win. However this team is a bust. Wait until next year. Like to be proven wrong but the losing streak continues.

Bluedog
11-13-2017, 06:59 AM

Well, not exactly true considering they were #3 with one loss (which was higher than the AP had them). I expect had they only had the one with victories the rest of the way, they would safely be in the top four. I recall arguments in the past that not having a conference championship was advantageous to those teams because they avoided having to beat another high quality opponent. But agreed that the future of that is perhaps tenuous as conference championships are now much more ubiquitous.

AustinDevil
11-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Well, not exactly true considering they were #3 with one loss (which was higher than the AP had them). I expect had they only had the one with victories the rest of the way, they would safely be in the top four. I recall arguments in the past that not having a conference championship was advantageous to those teams because they avoided having to beat another high quality opponent. But agreed that the future of that is perhaps tenuous as conference championships are now much more ubiquitous.

You're making the mistake of looking at their (prior-to-Miami) current #3 ranking, though. Ask TCU, which was solidly in the Top 4 a couple of years ago until the conference championship games came and then, in a Big XII with no championship game, suddenly TCU ... wasn't.

Bob Green
11-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Duke is banged up from the trip to West Point:

Stephen Wiseman‏
@stevewisemanNC

Cutcliffe said @BenHumphreys34 will have an MRI to determine extent of lower leg injury. He won't practice today. Cut said doesn't know status for Georgia Tech game yet. But everything points to Humphreys not being available. He was helped off field at Army late in 4th Q

Stephen Wiseman‏
@stevewisemanNC

In addition to Ben Humphreys, Cutcliffe said other Duke defensive players up front, like Cerenord, Giles-Harris, are beat up from all the cut blocking option teams like Army employ. "When you watch it (replayed) on the big screen, you're amazed more guys aren't hurting," he said.

Wander
11-13-2017, 06:07 PM
You're making the mistake of looking at their (prior-to-Miami) current #3 ranking, though. Ask TCU, which was solidly in the Top 4 a couple of years ago until the conference championship games came and then, in a Big XII with no championship game, suddenly TCU ... wasn't.

I think people vastly overreacted to that one situation. One can just as easily imagine a scenario where a team would be safely top 4 without a championship game, but then having a championship causes them to lose and miss out on the playoffs. In fact, I expect that we'll see this happen to Miami this year.

devildeac
11-13-2017, 11:19 PM
Duke is banged up from the trip to West Point:

Dumb question (no, not about the band) as some (many?) of mine are:

Is the cut blocking you describe legal or not?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Dumb question (no, not about the band) as some (many?) of mine are:

Is the cut blocking you describe legal or not?

This is the answer I found after a little searching: A cut block is a type of block when the offensive blocker knocks down the defensive player by hitting his knees. It is often criticized as being dirty and a players cannot cut block a defensive player that is already engaged in a block. That is called a chop block. It is legal to cut block in the nfl, but in the NCAA, you can only cut block no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and inside the tackle box.

devildeac
11-14-2017, 08:20 AM
This is the answer I found after a little searching: A cut block is a type of block when the offensive blocker knocks down the defensive player by hitting his knees. It is often criticized as being dirty and a players cannot cut block a defensive player that is already engaged in a block. That is called a chop block. It is legal to cut block in the nfl, but in the NCAA, you can only cut block no more than 5 yards off the line of scrimmage and inside the tackle box.

Thanks. I knew chop blocking was illegal but the term "cut block" was a new and somewhat confusing one.

Reilly
11-16-2017, 10:47 AM
White helmet - blue jersey - white pants combo. A good one.

Nice game start time. Looks like it'll be good weather.

GT - played every year since 1933.

Players still talking about getting to and winning a bowl.

Senior Day.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Sometimes the best games are played when there's nothing to lose.

devildeac
11-16-2017, 02:48 PM
Injury report?

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-16-2017, 03:02 PM
Injury report?

Per Steve Wiseman: Ben Humphreys will not play in the GT game. His condition is date to day. The possibility of returning to play for Wake Forest game will be determined closer to game day.

alteran
11-16-2017, 03:13 PM
Really hoping for a Renaissance this weekend.

chrishoke
11-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Per Steve Wiseman: Ben Humphreys will not play in the GT game. His condition is date to day. The possibility of returning to play for Wake Forest game will be determined closer to game day.

I hope Mr. Bere gets to play on his senior day.

Bob Green
11-16-2017, 04:31 PM

Bob Green
11-16-2017, 04:34 PM
I hope Mr. Bere gets to play on his senior day.

I agree. Bere playing is one of three desires I have for Saturday. The other two:

1. A win
2. Shaun Wilson ripping off one or more explosive TD runs

Let's go Shaun! Finish with a Big Bang!!

jimsumner
11-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Bere's knees are shot.

devildeac
11-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Bere's knees are shot.

Sad/sorry to read this. :(

Reilly
11-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Gameday Saturday.

Fight, fight Blue Devils.

Thank you seniors.

We're 60 minutes of good football from a fun last week of the (regular) season. Go Blue.

Bob Green
11-18-2017, 06:36 AM
The last home Game Day for 2017 has arrived so I'll be packing up the car and headed to Duke in a couple of hours. :cool: How time flies. It is hard to accept today is the last time I will see Shaun Wilson running the ball in Wallace Wade Stadium, it seems like just yesterday when he had his breakout performance against Kansas as a freshman. Hopefully, Shaun has a big day against the Yellow Jackets.

Let's Go Duke! We have to get win #5 today.

chrishoke
11-18-2017, 08:25 AM
Bere's knees are shot.

Thanks Jim. I had not heard that, but feared it. I even asked our D.C. at the Blue Devil Club about Bere and he said he was just overtaken by more talented guys.

chrishoke
11-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Getting ready to head out to Wally Wade for the last time this year. Thank you seniors! Here's hoping we get an outstanding, resounding win in your final home game. Go Devils, sting the Jackets!

OldPhiKap
11-18-2017, 09:13 AM
Thanks, seniors.

Beat Tech!

Avvocato
11-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Game time. Time to make a last time. Play with pride, play with effort, and play with nothing to lose. Let's go Duke.

riverside6
11-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Live stats for Duke/Georgia Tech
https://www.scacchoops.com/georgia-tech-at-duke-football-live-stats-11182017

Devilwin
11-18-2017, 03:42 PM
We can beat them..

Devilwin
11-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Wilson looks ready, but that flat pass never works..

Devilwin
11-18-2017, 03:51 PM
My God Jones.

arnie
11-18-2017, 04:13 PM
My God Jones.

This has gone south fast. Remarkable that the football gods allowed us a FG considering the repeated poor decisions by Jones. 14-3 and need a positive now.

Devilwin
11-18-2017, 04:19 PM
That will help. Now some defense!

cato
11-18-2017, 05:03 PM
Nice to see a good end to the half.

Tie game; two quarters to go. A win for the seniors would be so great.

ehdg
11-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Finally we’re getting some offense n running the damn ball! Let’s keep this up n get a win for the Seniors! So far very happy with their desire n play! Go Duke!

arnie
11-18-2017, 05:44 PM
Finally we’re getting some offense n running the damn ball! Let’s keep this up n get a win for the Seniors! So far very happy with their desire n play! Go Duke!

Should have been an easy wide open TD pass - but botched. At least our kicks have been good. If the D plays well, we win.

crdaul
11-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Paul Johnson looks like a real jerk!

TruBlu
11-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Paul Johnson looks like a real jerk!

It's not just looks.

arnie
11-18-2017, 06:04 PM
Should have been an easy wide open TD pass - but botched. At least our kicks have been good. If the D plays well, we win.

Cut better be glad the jump pass worked; otherwise Bob Green likely yanks him off the field🤤🤤

heyman25
11-18-2017, 06:09 PM
Glad I am getting to eat crow. Hope they can hang on. Defense has been the best feature of this team.

ehdg
11-18-2017, 06:12 PM

Yeah he rushed that pass, through it behind Wilson n too hard. But Defense has been big n offense is doing their part so far.

DukieInKansas
11-18-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm enjoying this so far. Wish there was less time left in the game.

Devilwin
11-18-2017, 06:31 PM
I just had a feeling we were gonna win..

fidel
11-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Big win. One to go.

OldPhiKap
11-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Wake is a challenge, but the last half of this game is as good as we have looked all year.

fuse
11-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Apologies all. Apparently it takes sacrificing a large portion of my liver to support a Duke victory.

What a win. I thought Cut had lost this team. I was wrong.

Let’s Go Duke! Beat Wake!

ipatent
11-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Heckuva effort by a banged up defense, and the running game led the way. Now keep that level of play up one more week.

dukelifer
11-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Happy for the seniors. The team just needs to get more consistent on O. A few breaks and easily a couple more wins.

TKG
11-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Push it all into the middle of the table for Wake.

CameronBlue
11-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Important game to pump some life back into a moribund season. Great game SRS! Lots of little Devil pasties to hand out particularly to the receiving corps who came up with some nice contested catches. Duke's punt return team is still a bit of a mystery to me, is Rahming returning punts or looking for 4-leaf clovers? I swear I can't tell sometimes. But great game to breathe life into Duke's post-season possibilities. Let's beat Wake and get this!

Go Duke!!

BandAlum83
11-18-2017, 07:23 PM
This game just makes me wonder what could have been this season.

Faison1
11-18-2017, 07:29 PM
This game just makes me wonder what could have been this season.

I agree, but I will instead focus on the future...it's a relatively young team that will learn from it's mistakes. Yes, this season coulda/shoulda been much better, but the fact that they pulled off the win today tells me they have a lot of character.

They must be feeling pretty good right now...and I feel really happy for them.

Doria
11-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Glad they could get a quality win to close out (almost) the season!

Devil549
11-18-2017, 07:50 PM
Hopefully this is the start to a 3 game winning streak. We looked good running and passing and now it comes down to WF game......Let’s Go DUKE!

DukePA
11-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Sometimes the best games are played when there's nothing to lose.

Exactly!!! What a game!!!

JD for Three!
11-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Awesome Senior Day for some guys who have busted their butts for four years. Happy to see the team click and do what it felt like they were on the verge of so many times. Let’s take out Wake and at least let these Seniors enjoy one more bowl game. They deserve it

CDu
11-18-2017, 08:19 PM
Wow, what an unexpected surprise today was! Great win for the team. Hope we can close out the regular season with a win and get bowl eligible.

chrishoke
11-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Just back from the Wade and HOW SWEET IT IS. The 1st quarter was miserable - same ole problems, down 14-3 and presto changeo everything was working, the defense got 2 straight 3 and outs and GT could do nothing but say uncle at the end. So happy for Shawn and the rest of the seniors. WE OUTRUSHED GT. WOW.

Dukehky
11-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Cut took a much bigger hand in the play calling tonight. Wish we could have run the ball like this (who knows if we would have been able to, because we never tried) against UVA, Army, and Pitt.

I think 5-7 may be good enough for a bowl bid, which is crucial for the team, if for no other reason than the practices.

I don't think we can beat Wake, so it'll have to be.

Jones still looked pretty shaky. Missed Wilson on that red zone pass that would have been a walk in and had a few bad reads as well, but he played better. He's got some talent, but we'll see how it looks next week. Wake is really good. I think they'll beat state tonight.

75Crazie
11-18-2017, 08:53 PM
Ok, so how many years has it been since Duke last won a football game in a season after beating Carolina?

killerleft
11-18-2017, 09:20 PM
Cut took a much bigger hand in the play calling tonight. Wish we could have run the ball like this (who knows if we would have been able to, because we never tried) against UVA, Army, and Pitt.

I think 5-7 may be good enough for a bowl bid, which is crucial for the team, if for no other reason than the practices.

Jones still looked pretty shaky. Missed Wilson on that red zone pass that would have been a walk in and had a few bad reads as well, but he played better. He's got some talent, but we'll see how it looks next week. Wake is really good. I think they'll beat state tonight.

That's quite a negative view. I expect to attend and won't be satisfied with a moral victory of some sort against Wake.

"This new offense amazes me, Sir Cutcliffe. Explain again how pig's skins can be employed to create multiple touchdowns!"

Reilly
11-18-2017, 09:22 PM
... Wake is really good. I think they'll beat state tonight.

WFU is really good this year. How? (Haven't followed them.)

They've gone from #100 (2014) to #89 (2015) to #68 (2016) to #20 (2017) in SRS:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/wake-forest/2017.html

[For comparison's sake, we went from the #68 (2012) to #31 (2013). Quite the rise -- Wake's has been even higher (for now).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/2013.html]

gep
11-18-2017, 09:44 PM

I really didn't think Duke has a prayer against GTech. And what happened?

So I'm VERY hopeful Duke can take this GTech game into Wake... and then, who knows? That's why they play the games (I think) :cool:

Reilly
11-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Apparently Wilson's jump pass/TD was described as "flea flicker" on the radio broadcast (maybe a nod to Bob?):

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211686179&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Never seen that mix-up in terminology ... as opposed to the all-too-common end around misidentified as a reverse.

Bob Green
11-18-2017, 10:42 PM
I just made it home from the game. A huge win for the team. Running the ball 51 times for 319 yards was awesome to observe. :cool: Shaun Wilson caught two TD passes and threw a third. Great Senior Day performance!

sagegrouse
11-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Ok, so how many years has it been since Duke last won a football game in a season after beating Carolina?

December 2, 1961: Duke 37, Notre Dame 13. I was there.

sagegrouse
11-18-2017, 11:03 PM
After UNC, I'd rather beat Georgia Tech than anyone else on the schedule. Sourpuss Paul Johnson and all those cut blocks -- ugh.

The Victor Dimukeje block, interception, and return for 26 yds to the GTech 27: one of the most exciting non-scoring plays in Duke football. How'd you do that, Victor?

I thought the Dimukeje play brought Mo Mentum into the game wearing a Duke jersey. While GT scored on the following drive, it took two heroic plays by TaQuon Marshall. It was great and important to block that extra point. After that, Tech did absolutely nothing on offense.

Apparently, Cut called most of the plays. OK, let's keep it up! One -- er, two -- more games.

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Some simple observations from the game (I was there):
(1) All GT's points came in the first half.
(2) GT had to rely on passing extensively in the second half. The Duke defense made run options unproductive.
(3) GT's punting looked impressive during the pregame warmups, but proved puny in live play.

Reilly
11-18-2017, 11:08 PM
Cut took a much bigger hand in the play calling tonight ...

... Apparently, Cut called most of the plays. ...

Source/link? (Believe it, just haven't looked.)

sagegrouse
11-18-2017, 11:10 PM
Source/link? (Believe it, just haven't looked.)

Claimed up-thread by Dukehky;

Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post

dukefan_828
11-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Not going to lie after VT i have turned my attention solely to Duke Basketball but glad to see Cut got the running game going and shaun having a huge sr day!! BEAT WAKE!!! BOWLING SHOES??

OZ
11-18-2017, 11:49 PM

Shaky? I wouldn't say 18-26-0-177- 2tds; plus 91 yds-1td rushing was "shaky." If so, I hope he has a case of the shakes next Saturday. Yeah, he misconnected with Wilson twice. But from my seat, it looked like the pass could have been caught. If you are going to declare him "shaky" on the pass... let's also point out the two minute drive he directed to tie the first half; and his td run that sealed the deal.

OZ
11-18-2017, 11:52 PM
Some simple observations from the game (I was there):
(1) All GT's points came in the first half.
(2) GT had to rely on passing extensively in the second half. The Duke defense made run options unproductive.
(3) GT's punting looked impressive during the pregame warmups, but proved puny in live play.

And the Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating contest was heart stopping (as well as nauseating)... I was there too.

devildeac
11-18-2017, 11:55 PM
Color me stunned. 500 yards, 30 to 15 first downs, 319 rushing, 32 to 28 ToP, 1 penalty for 15 yards, 0 TO. As someone said upthread, "Oh, what this season might have been." (or something like that)

devildeac
11-18-2017, 11:57 PM
Shaky? I wouldn't say 18-26-0-177- 2tds; plus 91 yds-1td rushing was "shaky." If so, I hope he has a case of the shakes next Saturday. Yeah, he misconnected with Wilson twice. But from my seat, it looked like the pass could have been caught. If you are going to declare him "shaky" on the pass... let's also point out the two minute drive he directed to tie the first half; and his td run that sealed the deal.

Yes, Jones has had a rough year but outside of a couple mistakes tonight, he directed the offense quite well. Impressive showing.

cato
11-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Lots of little Devil pasties to hand out

Sounds like a plan

devildeac
11-19-2017, 12:00 AM
And the Ben and Jerry Ice Cream eating contest was heart stopping (as well as nauseating)... I was there too.

New and amusing but not one I hope they bring back. :rolleyes:

cato
11-19-2017, 12:03 AM
Running the ball 51 times for 319 yards was awesome to observe. :cool:

I kept thinking this afternoon, “See!?!? Bob Green was right!”

devildeac
11-19-2017, 12:06 AM
Duke needs to invite accfanfrom1970 and his lovely wife to all the games. This was their first time ever attending a football game at Duke. ;)

YmoBeThere
11-19-2017, 05:30 AM
Duke needs to invite accfanfrom1970 and his lovely wife to all the games. This was their first time ever attending a football game at Duke. ;)

This was the first game since playing Miami that I don't recall watching. The real question is does accfanfrom1970 travel?

arnie
11-19-2017, 06:01 AM
WFU is really good this year. How? (Haven't followed them.)

They've gone from #100 (2014) to #89 (2015) to #68 (2016) to #20 (2017) in SRS:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/wake-forest/2017.html

[For comparison's sake, we went from the #68 (2012) to #31 (2013). Quite the rise -- Wake's has been even higher (for now).
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/duke/2013.html]

Wake may be the best coached program in NC. Typicallly, make few mistakes and capitize on yours. If I recall, a good mix of run and pass plays. Certainly we match up talent wise, but beating them in Winston will take efficient play and no massive screwups on special teams. I do like that Parker can be trusted on short to medium FGs, we just are kicking to many of them.

Also, maybe Cut and Roper can switch coaching positions next year😀

sagegrouse
11-19-2017, 08:36 AM
After UNC, I'd rather beat Georgia Tech than anyone else on the schedule. Sourpuss Paul Johnson and all those cut blocks -- ugh.

The Victor Dimukeje block, interception, and return for 26 yds to the GTech 27: one of the most exciting non-scoring plays in Duke football. How'd you do that, Victor?

I thought the Dimukeje play brought Mo Mentum into the game wearing a Duke jersey. While GT scored on the following drive, it took two heroic plays by TaQuon Marshall. It was great and important to block that extra point. After that, Tech did absolutely nothing on offense.

Apparently, Cut called most of the plays. OK, let's keep it up! One -- er, two -- more games.

Forgot one other observation: #1 Duke basketball faced winless Southern U. on Friday night as +/- 34-point favorite. The bedraggled football team, stumbling through a six-game losing streak faced off at home against Georgia Tech on Saturday as a six-point underdog.

Football won by 23; basketball won by only 17.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2017, 08:43 AM
Forgot one other observation: #1 Duke basketball faced winless Southern U. on Friday night as +/- 34-point favorite. The bedraggled football team, stumbling through a six-game losing streak faced off at home against Georgia Tech on Saturday as a six-point underdog.

Football won by 23; basketball won by only 17.

So by the transitive cross-sport theory of relativity, Duke footbsll is #1 baby!!!!!

(Don’t argue, let me bask in it for awhile).

Had kind of scrapped Bowl plans mentally, may need to put that back on a burner somewhere. Can’t see much enthusiasm for a trip for a 5-7 result that backs into a vacant spot, but at 6-6 could see jetting our somewhere.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2017, 09:22 AM
Sometimes, the clearest view comes from the other side of the ball:

Paul Johnson was outcoached and Georgia Tech players were outplayed, particularly in the second half. There were missed tackles from start to finish and three missed opportunities to recover Duke fumbles on the first drive alone, providing further proof of what anyone who can read the final score already knows: Duke wanted it more. They wanted it more, and they took it. It’s just that simple.

https://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2017/11/18/16674446/final-score-cutcliffe-blue-devils-thump-yellow-jackets-43-20

Ima Facultiwyfe
11-19-2017, 09:30 AM
New and amusing but not one I hope they bring back. :rolleyes:

I don't know why those guys didn't just up end the dang cartons and just drink that soup!
Love, Ima

Dukehky
11-19-2017, 11:47 AM

Having one good game, albeit one where mistakes were made, doesn't mean we didn't do things poorly that are worrisome headed into the Wake game.

That pass to Wilson was a layup, and he missed the throw. Not a super big deal looking back. He also made a bunch of bone headed passes that thankfully were not picked off. They hit defenders in the chest. Maybe that's on the WRs for not doing a good enough job shielding them off, but we were lucky those plays weren't made, especially in the first half when we were floundering a little bit.

I have a buddy who works on the staff. That's my source for Cut being more involved in the play calling. Not sure if he was calling all the plays, but at the beginning of the year, Roper had the reigns, he no longer does.

devildeac
11-19-2017, 02:34 PM
This was the first game since playing Miami that I don't recall watching. The real question is does accfanfrom1970 travel?

Yes, but not nearly as well as tyler h.;)

devildeac
11-19-2017, 02:37 PM
Having one good game, albeit one where mistakes were made, doesn't mean we didn't do things poorly that are worrisome headed into the Wake game.

That pass to Wilson was a layup, and he missed the throw. Not a super big deal looking back. He also made a bunch of bone headed passes that thankfully were not picked off. They hit defenders in the chest. Maybe that's on the WRs for not doing a good enough job shielding them off, but we were lucky those plays weren't made, especially in the first half when we were floundering a little bit.

I have a buddy who works on the staff. That's my source for Cut being more involved in the play calling. Not sure if he was calling all the plays, but at the beginning of the year, Roper had the reigns, he no longer does.

Plus, OZZIE conveniently forgot the combination for the padlock...

:rolleyes:

accfanfrom1970
11-19-2017, 04:16 PM

I wish.

That was one fun tailgate and one fun game. I will try to make more in the future. I appreciate all the hospitality.

Reilly
11-19-2017, 07:36 PM
I wish.

That was one fun tailgate and one fun game. I will try to make more in the future. I appreciate all the hospitality.

Is "hospitality" code for free food, or something untoward ... private tents and all ...

OldPhiKap
11-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Is "hospitality" code for free food, or something untoward ... private tents and all ...

He means devildeac hospitality, not Rick Pitino hospitality.

At least, I assume.

devildeac
11-19-2017, 09:05 PM

He means devildeac hospitality, not Rick Pitino hospitality.

At least, I assume.

A lot more goes into our tent/tailgating hospitality than yours truly, but you are kind to post such a statement. (lol about Pitino)

Two grills and chefs, just about everything home made by our chefs and/or tent members (except our traditional foot long Costco tradition:o), sometimes multiple main courses, side dishes and fixins, desserts and, of course, often a great variety of hand-crafted specialty ales (BYOB). Tent "members" pay for Duke to set up our tent for each home game of the season and we all put the pre-season agreed upon amount into the "jar" to cover food and all other associated expenses for each gathering. Most of our group has done this for 10+ years now, starting in one of the Blue Lots before Duke made the tents available on Devil's Alley.

Reilly
11-19-2017, 09:14 PM
... our traditional foot long Costco tradition ... a great variety of hand-crafted specialty ... Tent "members" pay ... Most of our group has done this for 10+ years now, starting in one of the Blue Lots before Duke made the tents available ...

No comment.

OldPhiKap
11-19-2017, 09:20 PM
A lot more goes into our tent/tailgating hospitality than yours truly, but you are kind to post such a statement. (lol about Pitino)

Two grills and chefs, just about everything home made by our chefs and/or tent members (except our traditional foot long Costco tradition:o), sometimes multiple main courses, side dishes and fixins, desserts and, of course, often a great variety of hand-crafted specialty ales (BYOB). Tent "members" pay for Duke to set up our tent for each home game of the season and we all put the pre-season agreed upon amount into the "jar" to cover food and all other associated expenses for each gathering. Most of our group has done this for 10+ years now, starting in one of the Blue Lots before Duke made the tents available on Devil's Alley.

Did not mean to leave out CBandB, AugustWest, DukeTaylor, Ozzie, and the whole crew. Always enjoy my trips to The Alley.

(And always a big nod to The DevilInBlueDress, the hostess with the mostest and perhaps the most ardent Duke Football fan I know)

devildeac
11-19-2017, 10:17 PM
Did not mean to leave out CBandB, AugustWest, DukeTaylor, Ozzie, and the whole crew. Always enjoy my trips to The Alley.

(And always a big nod to The DevilInBlueDress, the hostess with the mostest and perhaps the most ardent Duke Football fan I know)

Not taking anything away from DitBD, but, you've likely never sat near Bob Green at a Duke FB game. Poor fellow was distraught and almost inconsolable after the miami loss and nearly maniacally ecstatic as we exceeded 300 yards rushing and put the game out of reach against GT yesterday evening. ;)

Dude's a living, breathing Duke FB Google machine, too. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
11-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Not taking anything away from DitBD, but, you've likely never sat near Bob Green at a Duke FB game. Poor fellow was distraught and almost inconsolable after the miami loss and nearly maniacally ecstatic as we exceeded 300 yards rushing and put the game out of reach against GT yesterday evening. ;)

Dude's a living, breathing Duke FB Google machine, too. :)

And you, sir, have never sat near me when I'm wearing my glasses which are wired to hear what the coaches are saying.

korshmar
11-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Put 250 lb number 51 (who made interception) in at fullback for short yardage plays. Nobody stopping him.

arnie
11-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Put 250 lb number 51 (who made interception) in at fullback for short yardage plays. Nobody stopping him.

Yea that play showed a ton of desire, awareness and dexterity. Maybe he caught lightning in a bottle, but I’ve seen few lineman-batted balls result in that type one man show.

chrishoke
11-20-2017, 09:27 AM
Yea that play showed a ton of desire, awareness and dexterity. Maybe he caught lightning in a bottle, but I’ve seen few lineman-batted balls result in that type one man show.

I actually thought he was going to pick up the GT QB and carry him him into the end zone for the TD. What a way to celebrate yoiur birthday young man! Clearly the play of the game.

devildeac
11-20-2017, 11:14 AM
And you, sir, have never sat near me when I'm wearing my glasses which are wired to hear what the coaches are saying.

New rankings now in:

DitBD>>Bob Green.

Sorry, Bob, you may be a walking, talking Duke FB stat machine, but you ain't got the sideline connections like DitBD.

Now, if you told me you're in the booth for the WFU game this Saturday (I think they listened to your suggestions about the running game vs GT...) or next year for any game/s, I'm willing to re-rank the participants. ;)

Reilly
11-20-2017, 11:27 AM
New rankings now in:

DitBD>>Bob Green.

Sorry, Bob, you may be a walking, talking Duke FB stat machine, but you ain't got the sideline connections like DitBD.

Now, if you told me you're in the booth for the WFU game this Saturday (I think they listened to your suggestions about the running game vs GT...) or next year for any game/s, I'm willing to re-rank the participants. ;)

In Bob's defense, I understand he's one of the best Duke FB fans on every Gameday that he doesn't have something better to do (like, ahem, 'social engagements').

uh_no
11-20-2017, 11:34 AM
New rankings now in:

DitBD>>Bob Green.

Given it's WFU, i'm surprised their radio guys aren't selling spots in the box to Bob, who can then relay what they're saying to ditbd's glasses, who can then let the duke coaches know....

(for the out of the loop: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wake-forest-finds-radio-announcer-leaked-game-plans/story?id=44175665)

devildeac
11-20-2017, 11:38 AM
Given it's WFU, i'm surprised their radio guys aren't selling spots in the box to Bob, who can then relay what they're saying to ditbd's glasses, who can then let the duke coaches know...

(for the out of the loop: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wake-forest-finds-radio-announcer-leaked-game-plans/story?id=44175665)

I remember that story. :eek:

TruBlu
11-21-2017, 07:38 AM
A little late to the party, but could someone more football knowledgeable than me (doesn’t take much) please explain what defensive adjustment were made at halftime to so drastically change our being able to stop their option offense.

Or was it a change inside the helmets of players.

In any case, someone upthread mentioned that a player named Mo Mentum had a big part in the outcome. Hopefully he is healthy and suits up against the Deacons.

(Some things I post are things I want to say/ask. Some things are to un-bump the “Thread that should be on IC”.)

OldPhiKap
11-21-2017, 07:49 AM
A little late to the party, but could someone more football knowledgeable than me (doesn’t take much) please explain what defensive adjustment were made at halftime to so drastically change our being able to stop their option offense.

In any case, someone upthread mentioned that a player named Mo Mentum had a big part in the outcome. Hopefully he is healthy and suits up against the Deacons.

(Some things I post are things I want to say/ask. Some things are to un-bump the “Thread that should be on IC”.)

Cut said after the game that the hardest part of playing the option is catching up to the speed of it, because the practice squad cannot simulate it. Cut said there were no real adjustments, the players just caught up to playing the speed of the offense.

chrishoke
11-21-2017, 08:07 AM
One big thing I noticed was that our sub for the injured Ben Humphreys(sp?) Mr. Waters number 10 played the QB run on the option much much better in the second half. The QB was really gashing us in the first half. Cut mentioned how he grew up as the game progressed. Hats off to the young man.

sagegrouse
11-21-2017, 08:45 AM

I thought the shift in momentum came in the second quarter, with the amazing pass-swat and interception by Victor. Dimukeje. The Duke team went wild on the sidelines, according to the announcers.

Yep, we didn't get a TD and GT scored on its next possession, but the defensive intensity was clearly much higher after the interception. Tech's last scoring drive featured a 47-yard run on third-and-long by Marshall and, then after being stopped on two plays inside the ten, another run by Marshall. Despite those plays, we began to handle the triple option much better. Georgia Tech never mounted another drive.

The Blue Devils turned defense into offense for their final two scores as Victor Dimukeje intercepted a TaQuon Marshall pass to set up a Duke field goal, cutting the deficit to 14-6 midway through the second period. The interception was the first of the rookie’s career as he finished with two solo tackles and a quarterback hurry.

chrishoke
11-21-2017, 09:48 AM
I thought the shift in momentum came in the second quarter, with the amazing pass-swat and interception by Victor. Dimukeje. The Duke team went wild on the sidelines, according to the announcers.

Yep, we didn't get a TD and GT scored on its next possession, but the defensive intensity was clearly much higher after the interception. Tech's last scoring drive featured a 47-yard run on third-and-long by Marshall and, then after being stopped on two plays inside the ten, another run by Marshall. Despite those plays, we began to handle the triple option much better. Georgia Tech never mounted another drive.

Agreed. Victor also had a big hit in the first or second 3 and out to begin the 2nd half.

devildeac
11-21-2017, 10:00 AM
One big thing I noticed was that our sub for the injured Ben Humphreys(sp?) Mr. Waters number 10 played the QB run on the option much much better in the second half. The QB was really gashing us in the first half. Cut mentioned how he grew up as the game progressed. Hats off to the young man.

Good observation. He was 2nd on the team in tackles for the game with 9 (4 solo and 1 for a loss), behind Giles-Harris who had 14 (!). He indeed played very well.