PDA

View Full Version : MBB (Exh): Duke v Bowie State (Duvall, O'Connell, Goldwire all suspended!)

Billy Dat
11-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Violation of team standards....Great...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article182573581.html

kAzE
11-03-2017, 03:25 PM
Probably nothing to worry about. Let's hope this is a 1 time thing.

So . . . who gets the start at point guard? Is it Grayson, and Javin moves into the starting lineup, or does Goldwire start at PG? I could see either one happening, but it might give us a decent pulse on whether or not Goldwire is really going to play significant minutes in the rotation, depending on how much he plays tomorrow.

flyingdutchdevil
11-03-2017, 03:28 PM
Probably nothing to worry about. Let's hope this is a 1 time thing.

So . . . who gets the start at point guard? Is it Grayson, and Javin moves into the starting lineup, or does Goldwire start at PG? I could see either one happening, but it might give us a decent pulse on whether or not Goldwire is really going to play significant minutes in the rotation, depending on how much he plays tomorrow.

Grayson
Trent
Javin
Bagley
Carter

UrinalCake
11-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Without any details (which we'll probably never get), I'd say that it sounds minor and the kind of thing K would do to send a message to his player. Obviously not worried about beating Bowie State, but this is still a less-than-ideal way to start the season.

If Duval was injured then I would say Grayson moves to the point, but that's not the case and if K is trying to send the message of "you are not more important than the team, we can function with you" then I think he'd start Goldwire in Duval's place.

JasonEvans
11-03-2017, 03:33 PM
Seeing as exhibition game are about getting everyone comfortable in their assigned roles, I think Goldwire starts so everyone else is able to play where they would usually play during the season. If it was about winning at all costs, then Javin or perhaps Bolden would start and one of our bigs would be playing the "3."

I also suspect this is punishment for skipping class or being late to practice or something like that. Perfect way to send a message to Trevon and to all the other youngsters about the expectations of playing at Duke.

kAzE
11-03-2017, 03:38 PM
Seeing as exhibition game are about getting everyone comfortable in their assigned roles, I think Goldwire starts so everyone else is able to play where they would usually play during the season. If it was about winning at all costs, then Javin or perhaps Bolden would start and one of our bigs would be playing the "3."

I also suspect this is punishment for skipping class or being late to practice or something like that. Perfect way to send a message to Trevon and to all the other youngsters about the expectations of playing at Duke.

I'm also leaning towards Goldwire getting the spot start. I believe the coaches want to keep Grayson off the ball on offense as much as possible in order to allow him to hunt his perimeter shot. We need Grayson to shoot 3s, and he is a far less effective shooter when he is the point guard.

FerryFor50
11-03-2017, 03:49 PM

Hopefully if it's something minor like being late, it will be called out as such. Having such a vague "team standards" explanation opens up a can of worms.

proelitedota
11-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Besides Grayson and Nolan, which other players have we suspended in the past?

Billy Dat
11-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Duke junior Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the Duke basketball program Thursday, the school announced.

He is the first player to be kicked off the team in coach Mike Krzyzewski’s 35 years at Duke.

“Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program,” Krzyzewski said in the press release.

plimnko
11-03-2017, 03:56 PM
with a team with such high standards as duke's, it could be just an early lesson. if it was a violation of the team in chapel hill's standards......i would be more worried.

OldPhiKap
11-03-2017, 04:02 PM
A stitch in time saves nine.

No biggie.

jimsumner
11-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Duke junior Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the Duke basketball program Thursday, the school announced.

He is the first player to be kicked off the team in coach Mike Krzyzewski’s 35 years at Duke.

“Rasheed has been unable to consistently live up to the standards required to be a member of our program,” Krzyzewski said in the press release.

Note the use of the word "consistently."

elvis14
11-03-2017, 04:04 PM
Have to admit my first though was "oh no, let's not start the season this way". The more I think about it, the more I bet this is K making sure something minor doesn't grow.

budwom
11-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Goldwire has already reached Horvathian heights before playing a single regular season game. Sky's the limit for this kid! (Might he leave early?)

Billy Dat
11-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Note the use of the word "consistently."

I hear you, but when I read the wording of the Duval announcement, I was immediately taken back to Rasheed.

Duval is so freakin important to this team this year...this is a hit to "his brand", let's hope he comes correct.

MChambers
11-03-2017, 04:24 PM
It’s over.

PackMan97
11-03-2017, 04:29 PM
if it was a violation of the team in chapel hill's standards...i would be more worried.

I'm pretty sure every player at Duke violates the Tarheels standards....just by attending class.

proelitedota
11-03-2017, 04:37 PM
It’s over.

Welp pack it up boys. It's over.

duke79
11-03-2017, 04:58 PM
It’s over.

LOL, LOL.......nothing like some Friday afternoon sarcasm !

plimnko
11-03-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure every player at Duke violates the Tarheels standards...just by attending class.

touche'.......you have to have standards to violate them

BD80
11-03-2017, 05:22 PM
The exhibition game doesn't affect the minutes stats does it?

Waiting for answer with bated breath (it had been baited, but the worm wriggled off the hook) ...

I concur with Goldwire starting, but then let Grayson run the point when Goldwire sits.

Maybe let Marvin initiate the offense for a few trips.

kAzE
11-03-2017, 05:23 PM
The exhibition game doesn't affect the minutes stats does it?

Nope

COYS
11-03-2017, 05:29 PM
The last time we had a guard suspended right at the start of the season was Nolan in '09-'10 for playing in an unsanctioned summer league game. That season turned out ok. I'm just saying . . .

dukelifer
11-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Violation of team standards...Great...

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article182573581.html

Not sure what to think about this one. I have this feeling that there are some issues here that have been festering for several weeks. Duke is already thin at guard. Duke will need him to meet the standards expected of the team, or the dynamic will change very quickly.

Avvocato
11-03-2017, 06:01 PM

I agree with the rationale for why you'd want to start Goldwire, but if I were K, I wouldn't. One, I don't think K would want to put that pressure on Goldwire, even in an exhibition game. Let him get major minutes off the bench. Two, similar to your thought above, I think K would want to treat this like a regular season game in that if Duval turned an ankle, we would start Grayson at the point most likely, so let them get a feel for that situation now. That's why I would start Grayson at the point, but let Goldwire come in early and get big minutes. Now that I have expressed my view, expect the opposite to happen.

proelitedota
11-03-2017, 06:15 PM
I hope that we look noticeably worse without Duvall. I know that sounds confusing but my logic is sound.

It would mean that Duval is piece that makes our team better since we will be playing him a lot.

OZ
11-03-2017, 06:37 PM

... which is why we play exhibitions games; and with this young team, they become even more important. A "small" thing or a "biggie," it is definitely something we don't need.

Furniture
11-03-2017, 06:49 PM
Over.

dukebballcamper90-91
11-03-2017, 07:01 PM
Grayson is not a PG...we've been there done that.

jipops
11-03-2017, 07:14 PM
For all we know (nothing), it's possible he hasn't put enough work in that jumper (which really needs work). Or could just be something K wants to nip in the bud and then move on. They are all still kids after all.

mgtr
11-03-2017, 07:19 PM
I would expect that Coach K has gotten Duval's attention. That may be the whole point. I also expect that we don't really need to be full strength to win this game easily. But I would really like to be at full strength from here on out.

Bob Green
11-03-2017, 07:22 PM
They are all still kids after all.

I disagree.

They are not kids they are adults less than one year away from being millionaires. Standards have to be set, clearly communicated and consistently enforced. Coach K is doing these young men a great service by being tough. He is teaching them life lessons. I applaud him!

DBFAN
11-03-2017, 07:28 PM
No idea what he did and none of my business, but I wouldn’t worry at all about this. If I recall correctly K has a tendency to be really tough on his PG’s. He is young and K needs him to grow up extremely fast, because at end of the day the PG is the leader on the court

jv001
11-03-2017, 07:42 PM
I disagree.

They are not kids they are adults less than one year away from being millionaires. Standards have to be set, clearly communicated and consistently enforced. Coach K is doing these young men a great service by being tough. He is teaching them life lessons. I applaud him!

This^. If these OADs are set on leaving after one year, then act like grown men. If you are blessed to get a scholarship, follow the rules set forth by the coaches and the school administration. If you don't want to follow those rules, transfer to OJU. GoDuke!

uh_no
11-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Sky's the limit for this kid!

I'd put his ceiling at the roof, or thereabouts.

jipops
11-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I disagree.

Then why does K still refer to them as "kids"?

I think you may be taking this quote to a different context...as if I'm offering some excuse. Not at all. It's just reality.

Yes, standards have to be set and enforced. But I'd say the need for enforcement is very different for a 17-18 yr old than a 24 year old. It is completely unrealistic that every 18 year old at Duke isn't going to make a stupid decision at some point. And yes, discipline should most definitely be applied.

jipops
11-03-2017, 08:18 PM
This^. If these OADs are set on leaving after one year, then act like grown men. If you are blessed to get a scholarship, follow the rules set forth by the coaches and the school administration. If you don't want to follow those rules, transfer to OJU. GoDuke!

I seriously doubt K has a different expectation for a OAD player than others when it comes to team standards and conduct. I don't care how much money Duvall stands to make one year from now, it doesn't change the fact that he's still a kid. And whatever he did, no matter how minor or major it is, I hope this suspension is a valuable teaching moment for him.

BD80
11-03-2017, 08:20 PM
I disagree.

Exhibit 90 or so as to why the NBA does not want to do away with the one year minimum between high school and draft.

crimsondevil
11-03-2017, 08:23 PM
I'd put his ceiling at the roof, or thereabouts.

Nah, more like:

uh_no
11-03-2017, 09:12 PM
Nah, more like:

We're done here.

proelitedota
11-03-2017, 09:18 PM
Nah, more like:

Nominated. Front page quality post here.

unclsam1
11-03-2017, 10:05 PM
What is the correct time for tomorrow's game? Posting says 2 pm. ESPN says 1 pm.

uh_no
11-03-2017, 10:41 PM
What is the correct time for tomorrow's game? Posting says 2 pm. ESPN says 1 pm.

1pm asdfasdf;asjdf

Fish80
11-03-2017, 10:52 PM
I don’t know if we hit the ceiling or the floor, but we got a dent.

MarkD83
11-04-2017, 04:30 AM
Nah, more like:

And you just earned 6 architecture credit hours at UNC.

westwall
11-04-2017, 09:20 AM
-- is suspended for the game v. Bowie State per H-S

Neals384
11-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Previous thread on this topic has been "disappeared" so seems like mods would prefer little to no discussion on this.

grad_devil
11-04-2017, 10:01 AM
It didn't disappear - it just got renamed and moved here http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?40653-MBB-(Exh)-Duke-v-Bowie-State-(Sat-11-4-1-pm-ACC-Network-Extra)

JBDuke
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Ugh - now the suspensions are more than just Duval:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2017/11/breaking-news-oconnell-goldwire-duval-suspended/

LasVegas
11-04-2017, 12:26 PM
Ugh - now the suspensions are more than just Duval:

http://bluedevilnation.net/2017/11/breaking-news-oconnell-goldwire-duval-suspended/

Great start to the season!!!!!!!!!

devildeac
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Maybe Bagley at point forward...

JasonEvans
11-04-2017, 12:28 PM
Are Duval, Goldwire, and O'Connell rooming together? I wonder if the roomies did something they should not have.

LasVegas
11-04-2017, 12:37 PM
I honestly feel better that it’s 3 of them instead of just Duval. Easier pill to swallow as a group.

MCFinARL
11-04-2017, 12:40 PM
I honestly feel better that it’s 3 of them instead of just Duval. Easier pill to swallow as a group.

Yes--it suggests a single incident of inappropriate behavior rather than an attitude problem.

sagegrouse
11-04-2017, 12:40 PM

I think this is just practice for Coach K -- it is a warning to DBR that he plans to rig the "minutes contest." It is also a warning to the eight freshmen that he means business.

-jk
11-04-2017, 12:41 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

wgl1228
11-04-2017, 12:43 PM
I don't see the link on acc network extra page. Can anyone post it here?

mattman91
11-04-2017, 12:45 PM
Are Duval, Goldwire, and O'Connell rooming together? I wonder if the roomies did something they should not have.

We want Besser!

JBDuke
11-04-2017, 12:47 PM
According to Coach, the suspensions are for "academic reasons":

https://twitter.com/DavidShumate/status/926852159299313665

JBDuke
11-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Game is on ESPN3, or "WatchESPN":

http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3198222

devildeac
11-04-2017, 12:49 PM
According to Coach, the suspensions are for "academic reasons":

https://twitter.com/DavidShumate/status/926852159299313665

Easy explanation: They must have attended a fake class at unc.:rolleyes:

riverside6
11-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Bowie State, starters posted...
https://www.scacchoops.com/bowie-state-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-1142017-1-pm

weezie
11-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Eye rolling emoji for dealing with 18-19 year old males.

And yes, I'm looking at the grown men here, too.

MCFinARL
11-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Commentators say suspensions are for a combination of lateness and missing class. Sounds like a clear message sent.

flyingdutchdevil
11-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Commentators say suspensions are for a combination of lateness and missing class. Sounds like a clear message sent.

So happy Coach K did this. Playing is a privilege. Class is a necessity.

BLPOG
11-04-2017, 01:21 PM
So happy Coach K did this. Playing is a privilege. Class is a necessity.

Hell yeah. We aren't the cheats!

Although to be fair, I didn't go to a lot of class freshmen year. Who has time for class when you have problem sets to do? I expect it's a broader academic work ethic situation. Good to know our coaches are on top of it.

NM Duke Fan
11-04-2017, 01:22 PM
Live stats show Bolden and Carter playing together, interesting with the speculation that was not likley to happen. I can't see the game, I would imagine Bolden would be more the "center" in this duo?

JBDuke
11-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Live stats show Bolden and Carter playing together, interesting with the speculation that was not likley to happen. I can't see the game, I would imagine Bolden would be more the "center" in this duo?

With Duval, Goldwire, and O'Connell out, we're gonna see a LOT of unusual lineups tonight. Bolden is playing more in the post and Carter is playing more of a PF look on offense in the few possessions we've seen.

Truth&Justise
11-04-2017, 01:29 PM
With Duval, Goldwire, and O'Connell out, we're gonna see a LOT of unusual lineups tonight. Bolden is playing more in the post and Carter is playing more of a PF look on offense in the few possessions we've seen.

For instance, Duke currently has the biggest lineup I've ever seen:

6'5" Allen
6'7" Tucker
6'11" Bagley
6'10" Carter
7'0" Vrankovic

Skydog
11-04-2017, 01:38 PM
From twitter:

"all three missed the same class on Thursday. Duke students can miss whenever they want, but athletes have to go to each one smh"
https://twitter.com/Akhan7860/status/926862654458777602

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2017, 01:40 PM
From twitter:

"all three missed the same class on Thursday. Duke students can miss whenever they want, but athletes have to go to each one smh"

That's funny right there.

Fun to watch K experiment with a giant line up. This season could be a blast.

UrinalCake
11-04-2017, 01:45 PM
From twitter:

Nice to have an explanation. When I heard it was three players, I was worried it was something more than missing a class. I'm proud of K for making it clear that our athletes are required to be students, even above and beyond what is required of "normal" students. It's a far cry from what goes on down the road.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

6'5" Allen
6'7" Tucker
6'11" Bagley
6'10" Carter
7'0" Vrankovic

Bolden out there now, making some serious hustle plays. Great to see.

Truth&Justise

6'5" Allen
6'7" Tucker
6'11" Bagley
6'10" Carter
7'0" Vrankovic

Well, that standard has now been exceeded:

6'5" Allen
6'10" DeLaurier
6'9" Robinson
6'11" Bagley
6'11" Bolden

dukelifer
11-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Bolden out there now, making some serious hustle plays. Great to see.

I would say that another blue white scrimmage might have been a better test.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2017, 01:50 PM
I would say that another blue white scrimmage might have been a better test.

I mean, isn't suspending three players similar to playing with one hand tied behind our backs?

I do love seeing the big lineups. Makes me daydream a bit about playing UNC and just going postal on them.

proelitedota
11-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Is Javin hurt?

DU82
11-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Is Javin hurt?

Yep, he’s suffering from two fouls in the first half. Only treatment is time.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Yep, he’s suffering from two fouls in the first half. Only treatment is time.

And a walking boot

Duke95
11-04-2017, 02:18 PM
This game needs to stop. Just getting ridiculous.

Rickshaw
11-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I like spatolas insight/ duke experience

Bay Area Duke Fan
11-04-2017, 02:28 PM
I like spatolas insight/ duke experience

Family.

Native
11-04-2017, 02:34 PM
This game needs to stop. Just getting ridiculous.

elvis14
11-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Great story recently from Coach Logan on 99.9. When he was the ECU football coach he had a freshman missing classes. He told the kid that he wanted to meet with him the next day. He then called that kids Mom and told her about it just to keep her informed. The Mom, to his surprise, asked what time the meeting was and simply said "I'll be there". Coach claims the next day the kid comes to his office looks at coach, then sees his Mom, face drops. Logan claims he never said a word, just left his office and closed the door behind him. That was the end of academic issues for that kid.