PDA

View Full Version : Pats trade Garopallo

duketaylor
10-30-2017, 09:22 PM
for 2nd round pick to SF, wow!! Surprising to see that unless the Pats have a fancy for another young QB this year or next.

diablesseblu
10-30-2017, 10:23 PM
for 2nd round pick to SF, wow!! Surprising to see that unless the Pats have a fancy for another young QB this year or next.

The Dan Patrick Show will be fascinating in the AM. They have been joking about how the Patriots always make moves before the trade deadline. However, I don't think they had any inkling this was coming.

This seems like a very risky move.

BD80
10-31-2017, 10:22 AM
The Dan Patrick Show will be fascinating in the AM. They have been joking about how the Patriots always make moves before the trade deadline. However, I don't think they had any inkling this was coming.

This seems like a very risky move.

They weren't going to pay him next year, so they got essentially a first round pick (at a second round salary) for 1/2 year of insurance policy as a back-up.

CDu
10-31-2017, 10:35 AM
They weren't going to pay him next year, so they got essentially a first round pick (at a second round salary) for 1/2 year of insurance policy as a back-up.

The only weird part is that they reportedly could have gotten more in last offseason.

BD80
10-31-2017, 11:55 AM
The only weird part is that they reportedly could have gotten more in last offseason.

But they are in "win now" mode.

During the offseason they were prohibitive favorites to repeat and had a 40 yo quarterback. Keeping a back-up qb that could keep the championship hopes alive was the percentage play.

Eight games in, Brady is a decent bet to finish the season: reducing the value of the back-up. The trade deadline forces the Pats hand.

JasonEvans
10-31-2017, 12:13 PM

Yeah, they supposedly could have gotten a decent 1st round pick had they traded him prior to the draft this past summer.

Worth noting that the Pats drafted Garopallo in the 2nd round of the draft 3 years ago. So, their second round pick in 2014 played in a couple games for them over 3 seasons and then they turned him into a slightly better 2nd round pick. Seems like a somewhat wasted opportunity.

I usually think Belichick and the Pats are the smartest guys in the room, but this one feels like a rel "meh" move.

-Jason "now the Pats will need to draft another QB prospect in this year's draft too... perhaps they use that early 2nd rounder to take someone" Evans

cato
10-31-2017, 02:26 PM
I don’t see what the big deal is. Garopallo was only going to see the field in a meaningful situation if Brady got hurt.

When has a back-up quarterback ever come in to replace an injured starter and lead a team to a Super Bowl Championship?

;)

Faustus
10-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Earl Morrall (almost) for the Colts when Johnny Unitas went down (they did win the NFL championship, but that Joe Namath guy got in the way...) then with the Dolphins replacing Bob Griese.

fuse
10-31-2017, 06:12 PM
I don’t see what the big deal is. Garopallo was only going to see the field in a meaningful situation if Brady got hurt.

When has a back-up quarterback ever come in to replace an injured starter and lead a team to a Super Bowl Championship?

;)

Not likely what you were after (acknowledging your winky smiley), Doug Williams for Jay Schroeder immediately came to mind.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-31-2017, 09:43 PM

;)

Jeff Hostetler took over the Giants after Simms was hurt late in the season and won the Super Bowl.

cato
11-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Hmm. My winking smiley may not have been clear enough. I was referring to Mr. Brady himself.

ricks68
11-01-2017, 10:38 AM
Earl Morrall (almost) for the Colts when Johnny Unitas went down (they did win the NFL championship, but that Joe Namath guy got in the way...) then with the Dolphins replacing Bob Griese.

You know, Morrall went 10-0 until Griese came back to win out. What a team! By the way, anyone know who beat the Dolphins that year?

ricks

BD80
11-01-2017, 12:52 PM
You know, Morrall went 10-0 until Griese came back to win out. What a team! By the way, anyone know who beat the Dolphins that year?

ricks

Bye?