PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Joey Baker!

Furniture
10-29-2017, 09:38 PM
http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball-recruiting/breaking-2019-5-star-joey-baker-commits-to-duke-dukeofhoops/amp/

“I’m trembling,” Baker said moments after his commitment. “It’s cool.”
“I just feel like I fit there on the court and off the court,” Baker said. “They are a family and I feel like I fit in there. I talked to the coaches and I took a good amount of visits. It’s where I want to be and I’m comfortable.”

sagegrouse
10-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Joey attends Trinity Christian School in Fayetteville, NC. Hi is reported on scout to be 6-7, 190.

moonpie23
10-29-2017, 09:47 PM
welcome, joey.....let's rock!!!

OldPhiKap
10-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Let’s get cooking, Mr. Baker!

UrinalCake
10-29-2017, 09:57 PM
It's too bad Quinn Cook and Joey Baker never got to play together.

CPDUKEGUY24
10-29-2017, 10:05 PM
It appears Joey has a great motor and feel for the game, you couldn't ask for a better response to his commitment either. Always nice to have a recruitment end early and without any drama.

Welcome aboard and congrats Mr. Baker

arnie
10-29-2017, 10:09 PM
It appears Joey has a great motor and feel for the game, you couldn't ask for a better response to his commitment either. Always nice to have a recruitment end early and without any drama.

Welcome aboard and congrats Mr. Baker

Glad to see another NC high school commitment and likely multi-year student at Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-29-2017, 11:54 PM
Welcome Joey!

proelitedota
10-30-2017, 01:42 AM
This is the most surprised that I have ever been for a commit. I've only seen this name cursorily mentioned before.

Skitzle
10-30-2017, 07:37 AM

Would have been quite Amile?

wilson
10-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Would have been quite Amile?Even without Curry.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-30-2017, 09:40 AM

Or former walk-on Baker Perry. Now we just need to sign Butcher and CandlestickMaker. Welcome to Duke, Joey! I always love getting kids who really, really want to be at Duke, and that seems to be the case here.

rsvman
10-30-2017, 09:48 AM
Awesome news! Welcome to Duke. You're going to love it, and we're going to love having you.

Li_Duke
10-30-2017, 09:57 AM
Glad to see another NC high school commitment and likely multi-year student at Duke.

Welcome to Duke, Joey Baker! Nice to get a 2019 recruit before the 2017-2018 season begins!

I've seen "likely multi-year" posted a few times about him. Is there some reason why folks think that? He is rated #13 in his class and could rise; his game (from what little I've read) seems to be that of a stretch power forward, which is suited to the current style of the NBA. Just trying to get more information about our newest recruit.

NM Duke Fan
10-30-2017, 10:03 AM
I just watched some of the highlights video . Very impressed and really liked what I saw. Quite a few blocked shots with control, diving for loose balls, excellent dunks, assists, outside shots, excellent body control. And with a few more pounds will be even more effective inside. Joey looks to be a very well-rounded player with considerable skills already honed!

Henderson
10-30-2017, 10:22 AM
This looks like a great match of player, program, and university. Welcome, Mr. Baker.

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Can and will probably play some 4 at Duke. But I like his size for the 3, assuming he can hit 3s (which it sounds like he can).

Best looking Dukie since Winslow? I told my wife to calm down as he's only 16. She responded that she can look all she wants. Sigh...

Henderson
10-30-2017, 10:47 AM
If I see him making one-bounce shots from the top of Duke chapel, I might start making comparisons. No pressure.

Billy Dat
10-30-2017, 11:01 AM
Anytime a recruit who won't hit campus for a few years talks about playing for K, I get very happy. Welcome aboard, Joey!

sagegrouse
10-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Anytime a recruit who won't hit campus for a few years talks about playing for K, I get very happy. Welcome aboard, Joey!

I am hoping he makes me forget the other Joey B.

devildeac
10-30-2017, 11:36 AM
Would have been quite Amile?

Even without Curry.

Welcome to Duke!

Gotta figure out some way to work a Boozer in with these culinary references...

TKG
10-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Welcome to Duke!

Gotta figure out some way to work a Boozer in with these culinary references...

You got any eligibility left? :cool:

NSDukeFan
10-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Great news to start the day. Welcome and congratulations Joey!

devildeac
10-30-2017, 11:45 AM
You got any eligibility left? :cool:

Exhausted that decades ago, along with my vertical (measured in millimeters) and 40 and 100 yard dash times, measured with a sundial. :o

elvis14
10-30-2017, 12:15 PM
Nice to see some good news to start the day, especially on a Monday (and in particular THIS Monday).

Watched some of the highlight video and liked what I saw for a kid his age. Looking forward to seeing more as he progresses.

kAzE
10-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Can and will probably play some 4 at Duke. But I like his size for the 3, assuming he can hit 3s (which it sounds like he can).

Best looking Dukie since Winslow? I told my wife to calm down as he's only 16. She responded that she can look all she wants. Sigh...

I agree, after watching the youtube video in the link, he strikes me as an undersized 4, which is okay, but I think he's being recruited as a 3. He's got a lot of developing left to do, so hopefully he can improve enough (and possibly grow an inch or 2?) to where Coach K is comfortable playing him at either forward position. Those type of guys are always nice to have.

In any case, welcome to Duke, Joey!

lotusland
10-30-2017, 01:34 PM
http://dukereport.com/duke-basketball-recruiting/breaking-2019-5-star-joey-baker-commits-to-duke-dukeofhoops/amp/

“I’m trembling,” Baker said moments after his commitment. “It’s cool.”
“I just feel like I fit there on the court and off the court,” Baker said. “They are a family and I feel like I fit in there. I talked to the coaches and I took a good amount of visits. It’s where I want to be and I’m comfortable.”

Kid has skilz and is amphibious!

redick4pres
10-30-2017, 02:25 PM
Just a quick FYI...this was not a surprise commitment to those around Joey. He wanted to be a Blue Devil all along. I believe I posted about that on another thread a few weeks ago, but he and his mom were just waiting for Duke to offer.

Great friends of mine are best friends with his mom and Joey's family. Have dinner with them on the regular. Went to their house yesterday after he committed on Saturday. I say all that to say...we are getting another quality kid and family here. They were very impressed by Duke and Coach K and how he welcomed them in as if they were already family. Coach even apologized for using a colorful word in front of her, which was very impressive to her.

I can't wait to see how Joey matures and grows these last to years in preparation for Duke. He's got a great chance to be a very good basketball player at Duke!

cato
10-30-2017, 02:36 PM

Joey who?

😜

Billy Dat
10-30-2017, 04:18 PM
Just a quick FYI...this was not a surprise commitment to those around Joey. He wanted to be a Blue Devil all along. I believe I posted about that on another thread a few weeks ago, but he and his mom were just waiting for Duke to offer.

Great friends of mine are best friends with his mom and Joey's family. Have dinner with them on the regular. Went to their house yesterday after he committed on Saturday. I say all that to say...we are getting another quality kid and family here. They were very impressed by Duke and Coach K and how he welcomed them in as if they were already family. Coach even apologized for using a colorful word in front of her, which was very impressive to her.

I can't wait to see how Joey matures and grows these last to years in preparation for Duke. He's got a great chance to be a very good basketball player at Duke!

Thanks for the intel. If you can find out, I'd be interested in hearing how K talked to him about how much longer he'll coach. I guess there is one-and-done potential with any kid, but if we assume he's a multi-year player, then he's counting on K being around through 2020 which is when I speculate he'll be ready to hang it up. Naturally, K always says that he won't know he wants to hang it up until he knows, but I always saw 2020 as a nice round number...40 years at Duke, etc.

Pghdukie
10-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Now if Mr Baker can sway Matthew Hurt from Minnesota, we will have a very solid base in which to build around. Add in a 5☆ low post, and I think we can get excited !

richardjackson199
10-30-2017, 10:28 PM
We should probably be even more excited about this. This isn't a guy most of us knew all that much about, and it happened so quickly, without years of following his every T-shirt, tweet, or color of chosen tie.

But I'm guessing when this kid's career is over, we are going to be very thankful he picked Duke. I am thankful he was so sure he wanted to be here that he picked us immediately without fanfare, drama, and hoopla.

So I'm excited! He's going to be a very good one, and he sounds like a consummate Duke guy.

kAzE
10-30-2017, 10:52 PM
We should probably be even more excited about this. This isn't a guy most of us knew all that much about, and it happened so quickly, without years of following his every T-shirt, tweet, or color of chosen tie.

But I'm guessing when this kid's career is over, we are going to be very thankful he picked Duke. I am thankful he was so sure he wanted to be here that he picked us immediately without fanfare, drama, and hoopla.

So I'm excited! He's going to be a very good one, and he sounds like a consummate Duke guy.

It's only because he committed super early. He's a 5 star recruit, people are going to know his name by this time next year. Didn't Grayson also commit really early on? I believe he was the first commit in that 2014 class.

atoomer0881
10-31-2017, 10:31 AM
It's only because he committed super early. He's a 5 star recruit, people are going to know his name by this time next year. Didn't Grayson also commit really early on? I believe he was the first commit in that 2014 class.

I believe you are right about Grayson. And IIRC, didn't Tatum commit pretty early too? I feel like I remember him saying he was sure where he wanted to go, so there was no need to wait and string along any other coaches.

Bluedog
10-31-2017, 11:00 AM
I believe you are right about Grayson. And IIRC, didn't Tatum commit pretty early too? I feel like I remember him saying he was sure where he wanted to go, so there was no need to wait and string along any other coaches.

Baker (HS class of 2019) has committed near the beginning of his junior year.
Grayson (c/o 2014) committed on April 24, 2013, the spring of his junior year.
Tatum (c/o 2016) commited July 12, 2015, the summer before his SENIOR year.

So, Baker is much much earlier of a commit than Tatum and several months earlier than Grayson, who was the first commit in the class of 2014 and was without much fanfare because he did commit pretty quickly after the offer was made. These days, seems like the top prospects wait much longer beacuse the makeup of the rosters are more in flux until the last minute. I remember when DeMarcus Nelson committed after his sophomore year...and we all thought the trend was going that direction.

In any event, really glad to have somebody on board who really wants to be at Duke and by all accounts is a great player and person! Looking forward to watching him in Duke Blue! I think he'll fit in nicely.

atoomer0881
10-31-2017, 11:17 AM
Baker (HS class of 2019) has committed near the beginning of his junior year.
Grayson (c/o 2014) committed on April 24, 2013, the spring of his junior year.
Tatum (c/o 2016) commited July 12, 2015, the summer before his SENIOR year.

So, Baker is much much earlier of a commit than Tatum and several months earlier than Grayson, who was the first commit in the class of 2014 and was without much fanfare because he did commit pretty quickly after the offer was made. These days, seems like the top prospects wait much longer beacuse the makeup of the rosters are more in flux until the last minute. I remember when DeMarcus Nelson committed after his sophomore year...and we all thought the trend was going that direction.

In any event, really glad to have somebody on board who really wants to be at Duke and by all accounts is a great player and person! Looking forward to watching him in Duke Blue! I think he'll fit in nicely.

Thanks for finding the dates. To be fair, the difference in commitment time between Grayson and Jayson was less than three months. So I still think my original statement stands -- that Jayson committed pretty early. I don't think you see very often a top 3 player committing to a school in July before his senior year of HS. Most these days seem to wait until Oct/Nov or the spring of their senior year. Even Tre Jones committed this year in August, which again was pretty early for a top player, and that was a full month later than when Jayson committed.

Still, as your dates show, Grayson committed even earlier, and Baker even earlier still. Always love when a player commits early -- shows there's no question of where they want to be.

TKG
10-31-2017, 11:31 AM
Joey who?

��

Joey Beard.

cato
10-31-2017, 11:55 AM
Joey Beard.

Hmm. I have some vague recollection of someone with that name. Didn’t he play somewhere in the northeast?

(Okay, okay. I was T ‘98 and recall Joey Beard)

I have always been more fond of bakers than beards.

BD80
10-31-2017, 12:00 PM

I have always been more fond of bakers than beards.

What about Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes?

CameronBlue
10-31-2017, 12:31 PM
Joey the "Baker" good Mafia nickname
Joey "Bag o' donuts" better Mafia nickname

cato
10-31-2017, 12:37 PM
What about Mimi Rogers, Nicole Kidman and Katie Holmes?

Some beards are better than others.

TKG
10-31-2017, 01:22 PM

Elaine Benes

Pghdukie
10-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Do we have any Intel of cinder blocks? Seems over the years this has become normal ! And with or without shoes height ? Oh the enjoyment of welcoming a new recruit !

Henderson
10-31-2017, 08:15 PM

Broadway Danny Rose

Neals384
11-02-2017, 08:29 AM
Joey who?

😜

This one?

rasputin
11-02-2017, 11:48 AM
This one?

Nobody's perfect.

miramar
11-02-2017, 12:12 PM

Justise made seven straight shots for the Heat and his shooting percentage is up to 50%, which is way better than year's injury-plagued 35.6%.

Pat Riley must think he's getting better looking by the minute.

DavidBenAkiva
11-02-2017, 02:41 PM
Do we have any Intel of cinder blocks? Seems over the years this has become normal ! And with or without shoes height ? Oh the enjoyment of welcoming a new recruit !

Draft Express used to do write-ups of measurements of recruits until Mike Schmitz was hired by ESPN. Here's a summary of Baker from the early part of summer, about 6 months ago:

"An exceptionally skilled forward out of Trinity Christian (NC), Joey Baker has been one of the most productive scorers in the UAA early on. Standing 6'8 in shoes with a 6'9 wingspan and 197-pound frame, Baker already has similar dimensions to UCLA's T.J. Leaf at the same age and just 16 years old at the moment, could wind up roughly the same size as Dario Saric who measured 6'10 with a 6'10 wingspan at the 2012 Nike Hoop Summit. A candidate to play either forward spot at the next level, Baker's skill level figures to give the coach at whatever school he commits to great freedom when putting together lineups. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/under-armour-association-measurements-analysis-5924/ ©DraftExpress"

Enticing.

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Justise made seven straight shots for the Heat and his shooting percentage is up to 50%, which is way better than year's injury-plagued 35.6%.

Pat Riley must think he's getting better looking by the minute.

Yeah, but his 3pt shooting is at 17% this year. Yes, small sample size. But it's fair to say that Justise's 3pt shooting percentage at Duke was a fluke. Fortunately, we were able to embrace that fluke.

Kedsy
11-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Yeah, but his 3pt shooting is at 17% this year. Yes, small sample size. But it's fair to say that Justise's 3pt shooting percentage at Duke was a fluke. Fortunately, we were able to embrace that fluke.

Huuuuuge difference between the college three-point line and the NBA three-point line. Also, Justise's 64% free throw shooting at Duke strongly suggested his college three-point success wouldn't translate to the longer shot at the next level.

flyingdutchdevil
11-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Huuuuuge difference between the college three-point line and the NBA three-point line. Also, Justise's 64% free throw shooting at Duke strongly suggested his college three-point success wouldn't translate to the longer shot at the next level.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on both points. I was the one arguing that Winslow likely wouldn't be a good 3pt shooter in the NBA because college FT shooting correlates better with NBA 3pt shooting than college 3pt shooting. Ingram is another good example as he only shot 68% from the FT line and he's struggling at the 3pt line in the NBA (career 30%).