PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football End of Half Scenarios

PeteZaHut
10-29-2017, 03:28 PM
I love Coach Cut. I hope he stays at Duke for many more years, but his management of end-of-first-half scenarios is infuriating. Whether we're up or down, the strategy appears to be run the time out no matter what. I'm a bit more accepting of that this year, given how terrible the passing game is, but this has always been the game plan. Seeing UNC and VA Tech score touchdowns with minimal time left on the clock at the end of the first half is equally aggravating.

WillJ
10-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Well, IIRC, the end-of-half touchdown by UNC was the result of *failing* to run out the clock when we should have. It was atrocious clock management, but of a different sort than you allude to here.

Aladuke
10-29-2017, 07:49 PM
End of half has definitely been a problem, but as far as I can tell it's player related. At Va Tech. if Wilson had just gone back to the huddle instead of responding to the taunt, about 8 seconds would have remained before the half. Tech would have never scored had he just walked away. Coaches get blamed for al lot, but players are complicit when it's reactionary.

Scorp4me
10-29-2017, 08:01 PM
End of half has definitely been a problem, but as far as I can tell it's player related. At Va Tech. if Wilson had just gone back to the huddle instead of responding to the taunt, about 8 seconds would have remained before the half. Tech would have never scored had he just walked away. Coaches get blamed for al lot, but players are complicit when it's reactionary.

In every scenario I can remember (I believe I can recall three) at the end of the 1st half with time running down, the coaches have decided to call pass plays resulting in very little time being run off the clock. If they had been better with their play selections there wouldn't have been any time on the clock for Wilson's penalty. His Penalty occurred this time, but the play selection (overall but specific to this situation) has been consistent all year long.

Newton_14
10-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Yes, but on the punt, the clock started back once the ball was set and the players were ready. However, when they restarted the game clock, the play clock restarted at 25 seconds. Instead of letting the play clock run down to 01 and then snap it, we snapped the ball with the play clock on 20, giving Tech 19 more seconds than we should have. That allowed Tech to score. I was screaming at the TV...

Son of Jarhead
10-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Even after Wilson's penalty there near the end of the first half at VT, if I remember correctly, VT declined the 10 second run off, so the refs started the game clock on the ready to play. There were 42 seconds at that moment, and after we punted VT started their quick TD drive with 30 seconds remaining. That punt took place, I think, with about 18 or 19 seconds left on the play clock, but with the game clock running, we could have let the game clock run down to under 20 when we punted. Now, sure the VT TD drive took only 15 seconds, but if they had so few seconds, they may have called different plays. We really messed up with regards to clock management there.

arnie
10-29-2017, 09:28 PM
Yes, but on the punt, the clock started back once the ball was set and the players were ready. However, when they restarted the game clock, the play clock restarted at 25 seconds. Instead of letting the play clock run down to 01 and then snap it, we snapped the ball with the play clock on 20, giving Tech 19 more seconds than we should have. That allowed Tech to score. I was screaming at the TV...

We debated that very play on the board during the game. I wa convinced the clock was running, others said no, only the play clock running. At any rate, I don’t think our players had any idea that closing out the clock was important. Just doesn’t seem to be any time clock awareness; that’s probably on the offensive coaches.

Of course it doesn’t really matter; as noted upstream, we were never going to score an offensive TD against VPI.

Newton_14
10-29-2017, 09:34 PM
We debated that very play on the board during the game. I wa convinced the clock was running, others said no, only the play clock running. At any rate, I don’t think our players had any idea that closing out the clock was important. Just doesn’t seem to be any time clock awareness; that’s probably on the offensive coaches.

Of course it doesn’t really matter; as noted upstream, we were never going to score an offensive TD against VPI. I suggest they pull the tape. The game clock restarted on the ref's mark. I was watching both clocks and both were running. I was expecting us to run it down and snap it late or run it down to one second and call timeout. We did neither.

And paid for it big time.

Son of Jarhead
10-29-2017, 09:44 PM
I suggest they pull the tape. The game clock restarted on the ref's mark. I was watching both clocks and both were running. I was expecting us to run it down and snap it late or run it down to one second and call timeout. We did neither.

And paid for it big time.

I was watching both clocks, too, and both were running. The full game video has not been posted to the GoDuke archive yet. I was going to watch it before I posted, but I'm pretty sure I remembered the details pretty well.

75Crazie
10-30-2017, 08:52 AM
As I mentioned in the other thread, I backed up my DVR during halftime. The game clock was stopped at 0:42 when the flag was thrown; there was 0:42 on the game clock when the snap was made for the punt. Period. Yes, the play clock was running ... but not the game clock.

El_Diablo
10-30-2017, 02:08 PM
We could also focus on start-of-half and middle-of-the-half scenarios while we are at it.