PDA

View Full Version : All the best shows on TV are going away

JasonEvans
10-21-2007, 03:27 PM
This is (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/arts/television/20cons.html?_r=2&ref=television&oref=slogin&oref=slogin) the best explainer yet that I have seen of the ramifications of the upcoing writer's strike. It makes it clear which shows will stick around (reality crap and animation) and which will go away (pretty much everything else at different rates with Colbert, Letterman, and Daily Show going away immediately).

--Jason "with the Producers apparently intent on breaking the Writer's Union, this could be a nasty strike!" Evans

YmoBeThere
10-21-2007, 03:35 PM
What is the potential for scabs to come in and fill the slack?

JasonEvans
10-21-2007, 09:29 PM
What is the potential for scabs to come in and fill the slack?

Almost zero for the short-term because the directors, actors, and most of the other technical folks on movies and TV shows are also in unions and they would likely refuse to work with scab writers.

If the work stoppage goes long enough, you may see some buckling of all the unions though. In the short-term, a lot of non-union, low-budget, kinda stuff will get made. It could actually be a very interesting time from a film standpoint.

But TV is gonna suck, that's a given :(

--Jason "game shows and reality TV are going to be on CONSTANTLY" Evans

snowdenscold
10-21-2007, 09:44 PM
This is (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/20/arts/television/20cons.html?_r=2&ref=television&oref=slogin&oref=slogin) the best explainer yet that I have seen of the ramifications of the upcoing writer's strike. It makes it clear which shows will stick around (reality crap and animation) and which will go away (pretty much everything else at different rates with Colbert, Letterman, and Daily Show going away immediately).

--Jason "with the Producers apparently intent on breaking the Writer's Union, this could be a nasty strike!" Evans

Well this was a fun bit of trivia I learned from the article:

"On the bright side, the 1988 strike played a big role in introducing at least one guilty pleasure to a national audience. Desperate for programming, Fox plucked “Cops” from a local station and placed it on Saturday night, where it continues to run."

Lavabe
10-21-2007, 10:35 PM

What do you mean GOING TO BE? TV is already dominated by the stuff.

Hmm... whatever happened to NEWS departments?

Give me more news and more sports!
Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
10-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Almost zero for the short-term because the directors, actors, and most of the other technical folks on movies and TV shows are also in unions and they would likely refuse to work with scab writers.

If the work stoppage goes long enough, you may see some buckling of all the unions though. In the short-term, a lot of non-union, low-budget, kinda stuff will get made. It could actually be a very interesting time from a film standpoint.

But TV is gonna suck, that's a given :(

Thank God I watch more British tv than North American. That will definitely get me through the strike.

Bluedawg
10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
What do you mean GOING TO BE? TV is already dominated by the stuff.

Hmm... whatever happened to NEWS departments?

Give me more news and more sports!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Warren Littlefield, an independent producer and the former president of NBC, who was that network’s executive vice president of programming during the last writers strike, said the news divisions would be pushed to deliver spicy specials to plug holes. He noted that the CBS newsmagazine “48 Hours” rose to prominence in 1988. Sports, concerts and shows produced in Britain and Australia are also likely to pop up in prime time, depending on the length of a strike. NBC is already looking at the possibility of broadcasting the British version of “The Office.”

the problem is these are not news shows, but actually news magazine shows designed to put a point of view not to inform.

Bluedawg
10-22-2007, 08:44 AM

I know both sides want to take and not give, but i have never understood why. One would think that if both sides really want the same thing, to put out the best product possible they could come to a compromise. However, the product is not the point, the point is what is best for me . Pride in what i do is lower down the totem pole.

The art of compromise is just the latest thing to die in our society after customer service and pride in what we do.

throatybeard
10-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I think we'll survive even if new episodes of Grey's Anatomy don't surface for a little while. It is possible to turn the tube off and do something else. ;)

hurleyfor3
10-22-2007, 11:13 AM
It is possible to turn the tube off and do something else. ;)

I was gonna say, it sounds like we'll all have to get a life now.

Alternatively, basketball season does start in a couple weeks, and we can just watch that instead.

TillyGalore
10-22-2007, 11:23 AM
Thank God I watch more British tv than North American. That will definitely get me through the strike.

Amen! I heart British TV. The comedies, and the criminal dramas too.

Exiled_Devil
10-22-2007, 11:25 AM
UGH.

I wonder if we will see more sports on TV, too? What has winter seasons and are not already on the air? IT seems like ABC could rely on transferring some broadcasts from ESPN onto the main network.

Exiled

colchar
10-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Amen! I heart British TV. The comedies, and the criminal dramas too.

The vast majority of what I watch right now is British so this looming strike won't have any real impact on me at all.

merry
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I think we'll survive even if new episodes of Grey's Anatomy don't surface for a little while. It is possible to turn the tube off and do something else. ;)

Well sure, but...no Daily Show or Colbert? Come on, man!

throatybeard
10-22-2007, 01:22 PM

I think those guys could ad lib if they wanted to.

hc5duke
10-22-2007, 01:35 PM
I think those guys could ad lib if they wanted to.

Oh great, it'll be Norm McDonald on Weekend update all over again...

greybeard
10-22-2007, 02:31 PM
If a strike comes, I suggest that those who are interested check out the firm resumes of the lawyer/negotiators for management, see what they sell and how they sell themselves. Check out their other clients, those who have the more average working stiffs in their workforces. See what passes for enlightened labor-relations experts, who these networks have been hiring in modern times to deal with the real talent behind the talent.

I mean it. Identify who these lawyer/negotiators are and ask yourself, "What have they done to justify getting the portfolios they have to deal with writers on behalf of the networks." Given their track records, it might not be a bad idea to rent some "made in India" films. Everything else of value that they've touched has headed off shore or been crushed into mere peebles of what used to be decent professions. Don't say you weren't warned. Bollywood, here we come.

bdh21
10-22-2007, 02:50 PM
If a writer's strike means less ESPN "original programming" and more actual sporting events then I hope this strike drags on for years.

colchar
10-22-2007, 05:16 PM
If a writer's strike means less ESPN "original programming" and more actual sporting events then I hope this strike drags on for years.

Since it won't affect Hocket Night in Canada on the CBC or Corner Gas on CTV then I don't care all that much. All I will really miss will be How I Met Your Mother.

Exiled_Devil
10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
I just realized another possibility - we could see a lot more live concert events.

This could be good, except I have a bad feeling it means we are doomed to have "Brittany Spears LIVE" on all the network channels in January.

Exiled

colchar
10-25-2007, 12:43 AM

Colbert's too busy with his run for President right now anyway.

colchar
10-25-2007, 12:44 AM
I just realized another possibility - we could see a lot more live concert events.

This could be good, except I have a bad feeling it means we are doomed to have "Brittany Spears LIVE" on all the network channels in January.

Exiled

In a perfect world they would be televising the upcoming Zeppelin concert. I'd give my left you-know-what to be there.

JasonEvans
10-25-2007, 01:00 PM
Colbert's too busy with his run for President right now anyway.

He is going to run into some real trouble if he continues to treat it as a real thing. There are all kinds of campaign finance laws that he is violating. I heard that Comedy Central hired some lawyers to look into it but the general consensus is that if Colbert truly gets on the ballot in SC then he runs the risk of committing numerous felonies.

--Jason "there has been rumbling about this in the blogs the past few days and now the mainstream media (http://www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=3766656&page=1) is picking up on it" Evans

YmoBeThere
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
he runs the risk of committing numerous felonies.

And how does that differ from the typical politician?

xenic
10-25-2007, 09:08 PM

The vast majority of what I watch right now is British so this looming strike won't have any real impact on me at all.

coulchar, do you watch British TV?

xenic
10-25-2007, 09:11 PM
If a strike comes, I suggest that those who are interested check out the firm resumes of the lawyer/negotiators for management, see what they sell and how they sell themselves. Check out their other clients, those who have the more average working stiffs in their workforces. See what passes for enlightened labor-relations experts, who these networks have been hiring in modern times to deal with the real talent behind the talent.

I mean it. Identify who these lawyer/negotiators are and ask yourself, "What have they done to justify getting the portfolios they have to deal with writers on behalf of the networks." Given their track records, it might not be a bad idea to rent some "made in India" films. Everything else of value that they've touched has headed off shore or been crushed into mere peebles of what used to be decent professions. Don't say you weren't warned. Bollywood, here we come.

I understand all the words in your post, but I have no idea what your message is.

Clipsfan
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM
I understand all the words in your post, but I have no idea what your message is.

I'm glad someone else said something...I have that problem at times with his posts.

colchar
10-26-2007, 03:31 PM
coulchar, do you watch British TV?

I'm impressed you managed to figure that out.

snowdenscold
10-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm glad someone else said something...I have that problem at times with his posts.

Don't worry - I read the whole thing twice and still didn't get it either.

colchar
10-27-2007, 02:46 PM
Maybe we should start some sort of petition asking network execs to fill in the time-slots during the strike with classic shows that aren't on in prime time any more. We couldn't really ask for dramas as it would suck to get caught up in the story again only to have the strike end. But maybe we could get them to show classic comedies during prime time. You know, get shows like MASH, WKRP, etc. back on the air in prime time for a few weeks at least. It would be much more entertaining that whatever reality crap they are going to use to fill the time.

hurleyfor3
10-28-2007, 12:16 AM
or maybe we should unplug our teevee and get a life

billybreen
10-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Oh, word (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694).

hurleyfor3
10-28-2007, 12:51 AM
OK, but my suggestion is easier to understand than anyone else's.

JasonEvans
11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Just an update... the writer's strike (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/02/hollywood.talks/index.html) is on!

--Jason "this should give Colbert time to campaign more ;) " Evans

billybreen
11-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Just an update... the writer's strike (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/11/02/hollywood.talks/index.html) is on!

His campaign is over. SC denied his petition.

colchar
11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, word (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694).

That guy is pretty pretentious for someone who works in a picture-framing store.

colchar
11-02-2007, 11:17 AM

Meh, I've already got one. I just manage to work tv watching into it.

Clipsfan
11-02-2007, 02:01 PM

Monday should be the start. I'm not looking forward to having to make my way through strikers to park my car. I wasn't really paying attention the last time there was one of these strikes, I guess this will be a learning experience.

JasonEvans
11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Huge news for Lost fans!!!!

Apparently the folks behind Lost have really been working overtime and they have 14 of the 16 scripts for this season already done. This puts them waaay ahead of every other show on TV. If the strike lasts a while and scripted shows start dropping like flies, Lost could be the only scripted drama on TV with fresh episodes by the time we hit March and April of next year.

Can you say RATINGS BOOM!?!?!?!

-Jason "this is verrrry good news!" Evans

Exiled_Devil
11-02-2007, 11:45 PM

Apparently the folks behind Lost have really been working overtime and they have 14 of the 16 scripts for this season already done. This puts them waaay ahead of every other show on TV. If the strike lasts a while and scripted shows start dropping like flies, Lost could be the only scripted drama on TV with fresh episodes by the time we hit March and April of next year.

Sweet. But do they have a season finale with any sort of resolution?

Oh wait, we don't get that from LOST season finales anyway.

YmoBeThere
11-03-2007, 09:41 AM
How long have they been Lost? Have they repopulated the world yet?

What are the chance we get sports 24 hours a day on every network? X Games reruns galore!

colchar
11-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Does anyone (Jason Evans seems the most likely candidate) have any idea how the strike will affect Scrubs which is in its last season? Do they have all of their scripts or might they have to end the season early? I only started watching it in syndication recently and love it. I also started watching the reruns in prime time and was looking forward to the final season. It would really suck if they had to finish it without resolving some, or all, of the story lines as I doubt they would bring it back after the strike just so that they could wrap things up neatly.

Clipsfan
11-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Jay Leno was out on the picket line this morning handing out doughnuts. Says he ain't workin as long as there is a strike going on.

I think that it has more to do with the fact that he CAN'T work as long as there is a strike going on. He depends on the writers to make him funny.

YmoBeThere
11-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Me, I'm with Jay on this one; I ain't watchin no stinkin new programing until the strike ends. I hear all the cool guys are too. :cool:

I'm not on the same page. I will continue to watch new programming until it is exhausted. At that point, then I will consider whether it is necessary to continue watching network programming, etc. at all. (Okay, I'm an addict, but they may force me to go cold turkey.)

greybeard
11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm not on the same page. I will continue to watch new programming until it is exhausted. At that point, then I will consider whether it is necessary to continue watching network programming, etc. at all. (Okay, I'm an addict, but they may force me to go cold turkey.)

Splurge, get DVD sets of Homicide Life on the Streets, and DaVinci's Inquest, some of the best programing ever. Me, I had my fingers crossed behind my back when I made my pledge. Let them eat cake; I do, way too much.

ivduke
11-07-2007, 03:04 PM

It's just more vieled attempts by a sympathetic Union supporter. HE can't blame management, so instead he blames lawyers. Some people just have no perception of reality.....

micah75
11-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Hey, there's always "Love with Tila Tequila." Has anyone seen this farce of a show? It's so terrible, it's actually somewhat entertaining in a dark, comical sort of way, although I have to fast forward through much of the show. Tila, a rather plain-looking bi-sexual who thinks she's God's gift to both men and women, sits high on her pedestal and bumps adoring contestants for her "love" on each episode. Will she choose a man? Or will she choose a woman? Oh my gosh, must stay tuned for this. Due to the writer's strike, of course. MTV, I think. New episode every Tuesday night.

DevilAlumna
11-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Something to kill the time: If Fox ever did air "24 - the 1994 season," I'd be all over it!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/09/24-in-1994-the-lost-pilot/

(The vid is HI-larious.)

JasonEvans
11-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey, there's always "Love with Tila Tequila." Has anyone seen this farce of a show? It's so terrible, it's actually somewhat entertaining in a dark, comical sort of way, although I have to fast forward through much of the show. Tila, a rather plain-looking bi-sexual who thinks she's God's gift to both men and women, sits high on her pedestal and bumps adoring contestants for her "love" on each episode. Will she choose a man? Or will she choose a woman? Oh my gosh, must stay tuned for this. Due to the writer's strike, of course. MTV, I think. New episode every Tuesday night.

So last night while channel surfing I hit this show for like 30 seconds and Tila says, "I know I promised no more surprises... but I've got one more." Then the show cuts to the reaction of several of the "contestants" and one of the guys says, "I was just saying to myself, 'I sure hope she doesn't have a {piece of the male anatomy}.'"

I almost fell out of bed laughing. The show went to commercial from there and I did not stick around to see what the surprise was, but I thought, "that is the moment that sold this show to the network."

--Jason "MTV is shameless-- they;'ll have a reality series built around {redacted} someday soon, I am sure of it" Evans

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 11:46 AM
"MTV is shameless-- they;'ll have a reality series built around {redacted} someday soon, I am sure of it"

If that doesn't kill this thread, then nothing will.

billybreen
11-10-2007, 12:05 PM
"MTV is shameless-- they;'ll have a reality series built around {redacted} someday soon, I am sure of it"

If that doesn't kill this thread, then nothing will.

I was much happier before I knew of that meme. Why would someone do that to the board? A mod no less. Evil.

JasonEvans
11-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I was much happier before I knew of that meme. Why would someone do that to the board? A mod no less. Evil.

Sorry, my mind was searching for the most outrageous thing I could think of and I... well... I dunno.

I am removing all reference to you know what from this thread.

-Jason "sorry, grossest thing ever" Evans

billybreen
11-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Sorry, my mind was searching for the most outrageous thing I could think of and I... well... I dunno.

In the name of all future readers, thanks :)

JasonEvans
11-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Does anyone (Jason Evans seems the most likely candidate) have any idea how the strike will affect Scrubs which is in its last season? Do they have all of their scripts or might they have to end the season early? I only started watching it in syndication recently and love it. I also started watching the reruns in prime time and was looking forward to the final season. It would really suck if they had to finish it without resolving some, or all, of the story lines as I doubt they would bring it back after the strike just so that they could wrap things up neatly.

Like most series, they probably had about 6-8 episodes done. I doubt they had everything neatly wrapped up, though I don't really see Scrubs as a series that needs wrapping up. It is not like there was some major dramatic theme that needed resolution.

Scrubs and a few other shows that are clearly in their final season (ER!!) could be in a difficult place though as I imagine the folks behind them have some ideas about a grande finale, but would everyone sign on for one more year in 08-09 to get it done if the strike kills the rest of this season?

--Jason "I think the strike will kill the season-- because the writers will have their most leverage once the actors and directors join them on strike next year" Evans

YmoBeThere
11-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Maybe on a series by series basis, but as you note for Scrubs, without a storyline that really needs finishing, why go to the expense of creating an ending. Some of the shows that I have enjoyed the most have just kinda ended due to midseason cancellations, etc.

(And thanks for the redactions...)

colchar
11-10-2007, 07:05 PM

But some of us didn't get the chance to read it.

-jk
11-10-2007, 07:32 PM
But some of us didn't get the chance to read it.

Two words: be glad. http://empegbbs.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

-jk

Exiled_Devil
11-11-2007, 10:16 AM

Apparently, they are only going to run the first 8 episodes (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=1263574b-7f57-4b32-9cac-4d4caa50535a)

Worse than that, Damon Lindelof argues that the first six episodes in a season of a serial like lost and Heroes needs to be slow...so we get six slow episodes and then two interesting ones.

I wonder if this 'tap dancing' (Lindelhofs term) is a partial explanation of the random annoying couple last season.

Exiled

JasonEvans
11-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Apparently, they are only going to run the first 8 episodes (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/kristin/detail/index.jsp?uuid=1263574b-7f57-4b32-9cac-4d4caa50535a)

Worse than that, Damon Lindelof argues that the first six episodes in a season of a serial like lost and Heroes needs to be slow...so we get six slow episodes and then two interesting ones.

I wonder if this 'tap dancing' (Lindelhofs term) is a partial explanation of the random annoying couple last season.

Exiled

What has happened is something the suits did not expect which is that many show runners and other folks who double as writers are refusing to cross the picket lines. So productions has stopped right away, even though there are some fresh scripts that could still be produced (in theory). The other problem is that once you get into production there can be rewrites or tweaks necessary and with no writers to do that even beginning production is a risk most TV producers are not willing to take.

It is my understanding that movies are still being shot. This immediate halt to production is mostly affecting TV shows.

--Jason "I'd like to see some good shows repeat in their original order-- giving viewers a chance to find new series and follow the story-line behind them" Evans

snowdenscold
11-11-2007, 03:28 PM
--Jason "I'd like to see some good shows repeat in their original order-- giving viewers a chance to find new series and follow the story-line behind them" Evans

Might as well re-run Firefly while the strike is going on!

Actually do you think it would be better to show current shows from a few seasons back and then suddenly jump back to present time after the strike - or show shows that have an end and deliberately advertise that fact - highlight that shows like Firefly only have 13 eps or so and hope that interests people.

JasonEvans
11-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Actually do you think it would be better to show current shows from a few seasons back and then suddenly jump back to present time after the strike - or show shows that have an end and deliberately advertise that fact - highlight that shows like Firefly only have 13 eps or so and hope that interests people.

Does Serenity work as a conclusion to Firefly? I never saw Firefly but ADORED Serenity.

--Jason "if you have not seen it, make sure you see Serenity" Evans

snowdenscold
11-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Does Serenity work as a conclusion to Firefly? I never saw Firefly but ADORED Serenity.

--Jason "if you have not seen it, make sure you see Serenity" Evans

Actually, funny now that you mention it - I've never seen Serenity.

It took me a long time to finally watch Firefly - not because I didn't think I'd like it - I knew I would (based on Buffy, Angel and the Firefly premise). But I knew there was only a finite amount of it, so I held off for a long time, because I would be sad when it ended (which I was). Thus now for Serenity, I know there's a little more, so I keep myself excited with anticipation that there's still just a little bit left. In other words, I'm having my cake but not eating it. Yet.

Similarly, I just finally watched Veronica Mars season 3, because even though I knew I would love it (which I did), I also knew it was the last season, and once I finished, I'd be done forever. And it's true, I'm now sad that I don't have anymore. Oh well, there's always season 1 evangelism.

Note to board: As a single season of TV as a single entity is concerned, Veronica Mars season 1 is definitely the best. A season long murder mystery mixed with great character development, drama, humor and very adult themes all at the same time (it is not just an average teen drama - far from it)

Exiled_Devil
11-11-2007, 09:52 PM

That is possibly the best idea, ever.

billybreen
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Here's a nice resource showing exactly when your shows will die (http://www.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=Strike+Chart%3A+How+Long+Before+Your+Shows+G o+Dark%3F+-+Ausiello+Report+%7C+TVGuide.com&expire=&urlID=24863780&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcommunity.tvguide.com%2Fblog-entry%2FTVGuide-Editors-Blog%2F) due to the strike.

throatybeard
11-12-2007, 11:55 PM
Best thing about this is we get all-star eps of the Colbert show.