PDA

View Full Version : Charity exhibition games

UrinalCake
10-26-2017, 10:41 AM
Last week Kansas and Missouri hosted an exhibition game, with all proceeds going towards charity. They wound up raising almost $2 million for hurricane relief. For those who don't know, Kansas and Missouri used to be huge rivals, but when Missouri left the Big 12 they stopped playing each other. So fans came out in droves to see the two teams finally play again.

It was a great story, and several other teams soon scheduled exhibitions for similar causes. So here are my questions for my fellow DBR readers:

- What matchups would you like to see in a preseason exhibition game?

- How much would you be willing to pay for a ticket to see this live? Keep in mind that a.) it's a meaningless preseason game, and b.) all of the money is going to charity.

hallcity
10-26-2017, 11:10 AM
How is this even possible under NCAA rules? I know you can play a scrimmage against another school but that's supposed to be kept secret. You're not supposed to even reveal who you've played. There are rules on when your first game can be. I don't understand how Kansas and Missouri can do this.

Troublemaker
10-26-2017, 12:11 PM
How is this even possible under NCAA rules? I know you can play a scrimmage against another school but that's supposed to be kept secret. You're not supposed to even reveal who you've played. There are rules on when your first game can be. I don't understand how Kansas and Missouri can do this.

They had to get NCAA approval to play the game. Details in this article. (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article178766236.html)

flyingdutchdevil
10-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Wish all blue-blood schools would do this. I can't care if the teams even try or if it will be NBA All-Star game-esque. Just a great and easy way to raise money.

I would like to see the following:

-Duke v Maryland. 'Nuf said
-Duke v UCON(N). UCONN can now dream of playing in the ACC
-Duke v UCLA. Historic powerhouse vs modern powerhouse. Plus I wanna play against a few Balls.

cato
10-26-2017, 12:20 PM
- What matchups would you like to see in a preseason exhibition game?

UCLA. IIRC, they didn’t want any part of us in a regular season matchup, so pounding them in a preseason scrimmage would be nice.

richardjackson199
10-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Wish all blue-blood schools would do this. I can't care if the teams even try or if it will be NBA All-Star game-esque. Just a great and easy way to raise money.

I would like to see the following:

-Duke v Maryland. 'Nuf said
-Duke v UCON(N). UCONN can now dream of playing in the ACC
-Duke v UCLA. Historic powerhouse vs modern powerhouse. Plus I wanna play against a few Balls.

I like the Duke - UCLA and Duke - UConn ideas.

I hope we never play Maryland again, even for charity.

Troublemaker
10-26-2017, 12:28 PM
Some highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzLCgUv7_eI

The crowd was really into it

Reddevil
10-26-2017, 12:30 PM
Duke vs The Harlem Globetrotters!

Why should the NCAA object to any charity game that does not count anyway? It would be fun and pack the house for a good cause.

devilsince1977
10-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Syracuse Vs. UNC without NCAA permission

Syracuse gets the "DEATH PENALTY"

UNC gets to keep the proceeds.

hallcity
10-26-2017, 01:12 PM
It's too late to do a game this year. Last minute logistics were probably too difficult. A game this year would have been undesirable due to the extreme youth of the Duke team.

If this is allowed next year, the obvious choices would be UNC or UK if your only objective was to make as much money for charity as possible but that's not happening. A realistic choice would be NCCU. Maryland? NO WAY. As former Duke President Broadhead said, "They're dead to me."

mgtr
10-26-2017, 01:21 PM
I think Duke vs the Trotters is the best idea yet. But, if you want to raise a lot of money, why not play it in MSG? Or, as some people call it, Cameron North.

DukieInKansas
10-26-2017, 01:45 PM
Syracuse Vs. UNC without NCAA permission

Syracuse gets the "DEATH PENALTY"

UNC gets to keep the proceeds.

A great way for them to cover their legal fees.

UrinalCake
10-26-2017, 01:46 PM
They had to get NCAA approval to play the game.

The cynical part of me thinks that after the KU-Mizzou exhibition became known, other schools started scheduling these just so they could get some extra practice/scrimmage time.

Other matchups I'd like to see:

Texas - Texas A&M
Kansas - Wichita State
Duke - any of K's former assistants (Harvard, Stanford, NW, Marquette)
Rematch of the previous year's national title game (although not the past two years, who wants to watch the CHeats?)

CrazyNotCrazie
10-26-2017, 01:51 PM
UCONN Men vs. UCONN Women

jv001
10-26-2017, 01:53 PM
The cynical part of me thinks that after the KU-Mizzou exhibition became known, other schools started scheduling these just so they could get some extra practice/scrimmage time.

Other matchups I'd like to see:

Texas - Texas A&M
Kansas - Wichita State
Duke - any of K's former assistants (Harvard, Stanford, NW, Marquette)
Rematch of the previous year's national title game (although not the past two years, who wants to watch the CHeats?)

This ^ bolded. Great idea because Coach K seems to be against the idea of playing his former player/coaches. Treat it like an all-star game with little chance of injury. GoDuke!

InSpades
10-26-2017, 01:53 PM
I like the Duke - UCLA and Duke - UConn ideas.

I hope we never play Maryland again, even for charity.

Think about all the extra money we could raise by selling water bottles for them to throw...

uh_no
10-26-2017, 02:20 PM
UCONN Men vs. UCONN Women

they scrimmage WITH eachother at least during their midnight madness. If I recall they have a playground-style draft of both teams.

devildeac
10-26-2017, 02:20 PM
"u"nc vs UMd

In Hades.

A neutral court.

luburch
10-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Would be a good reason for Indiana and Kentucky to play again.

Duke vs. Northwestern or Harvard would be nice.

PSurprise
10-26-2017, 02:24 PM
"u"nc vs UMd

In Hades.

A neutral court.

More like a home game for both teams

flyingdutchdevil
10-26-2017, 02:27 PM
Would be a good reason for Indiana and Kentucky to play again.

Duke vs. Northwestern or Harvard would be nice.

Revenge of the Nerds? Can they serve whip cream pies at the game?

devildeac
10-26-2017, 02:29 PM
More like a home game for both teams

That observation works well, too. ;)

mattman91
10-26-2017, 02:35 PM
So proud of the NCAA for graciously allowing this charity event to take place. They are such a selfless organization that cares about the well being of their schools, athletes, and the communities in which they operate.

BLPOG
10-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Revenge of the Nerds? Can they serve whip cream pies at the game?

Only if they come with the special plates, too

MarkD83
10-28-2017, 02:16 AM
So proud of the NCAA for graciously allowing this charity event to take place. They are such a selfless organization that cares about the well being of their schools, athletes, and the communities in which they operate.

Websters new definition for sarcasm

devildeac
10-28-2017, 09:16 AM

Websters new definition for sarcasm

I noted that, too, except he left the word "students" out of his post. :rolleyes:

slower
10-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Only if they come with the special plates, too

And bibs.

DU82
10-28-2017, 04:05 PM
A story about exhibition games in today’s N&O.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article181022401.html

I like how we play the D2 champions every year. I had a bunch of SWMoSt fans in front of me last night, and it was clear they loved having their team and family members playing in Cameron.

Adding to the list of charity games, St. John’s will play at Rutgers next Sunday.