PDA

View Full Version : Pro Day?

UrinalCake
10-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Are we doing some sort of Pro Day? I'm seeing a bunch of tweets from Jeff Goodman with feedback from NBA scouts on our players. Was really surprised that I never heard anything about us doing one this year.

UrinalCake
10-24-2017, 11:43 AM

dukelifer
10-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Are we doing some sort of Pro Day? I'm seeing a bunch of tweets from Jeff Goodman with feedback from NBA scouts on our players. Was really surprised that I never heard anything about us doing one this year.

Was that from the scrimmage?

Troublemaker
10-24-2017, 11:50 AM

We did a Pro Day last year, too, and that was when Tatum got injured. If our boys escaped this Pro Day unscathed, then we're ahead of the curve compared to last season. That, and the fact that Marvin Bagley is healthy instead of recovering from ACL surgery like Giles.

** knock on wood **

UrinalCake
10-24-2017, 11:51 AM
Was that from the scrimmage?

I really doubt we invited NBA scouts to watch C2C.

English
10-24-2017, 11:59 AM
I really doubt we invited NBA scouts to watch C2C.

It was a scrimmage, but not CTC scrimmage. Paul Biancardi tweeted something out about it, too. See below--the gym was empty, and he mentioned Bagley coming out and immediately knocking down an elbow jumper and a 3. Not sure why nothing was published...perhaps K didn't like the way last year's went.

UrinalCake
10-24-2017, 12:06 PM
It was a scrimmage, but not CTC scrimmage.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. It makes sense that we would hold a private practice/scrimmage for NBA scouts and not really publicize it. I wonder if K put restrictions on the media in attendance and what they are allowed to publish, after the Tatum scare last year.

Sounds like really good feedback so far, other than Duval.

flyingdutchdevil
10-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Trevon is getting crapped on a lot during the last 4-5 days. I am so curious if these claims are legit or if it's growing pains for a freshman learning the hardest position in basketball (and certainly Duke).

I, for one, have so much faith in Duval. I think he'll be a top 3 PG in the ACC by year's end. I may not figure out the shooting aspect this year, but if he can pass, defend, and run a team, that would be huge.

richardjackson199
10-24-2017, 01:01 PM
Trevon is getting crapped on a lot during the last 4-5 days. I am so curious if these claims are legit or if it's growing pains for a freshman learning the hardest position in basketball (and certainly Duke).

I, for one, have so much faith in Duval. I think he'll be a top 3 PG in the ACC by year's end. I may not figure out the shooting aspect this year, but if he can pass, defend, and run a team, that would be huge.

Agreed - Duval will be fine. He's in the perfect place to develop, and I believe he has the right attitude (most importantly). He is a freshman and will have growing pains like other stud freshmen point guards (Hurley, JWill, etc.). But with his talent, supporting cast, and tutelage, I'd bet the house that he will figure it out and be fine. (But I'm happily married and thus not betting any houses. So I wouldn't bet the house. Only beer.)

CrazyNotCrazie
10-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Agreed - Duval will be fine. He's in the perfect place to develop, and I believe he has the right attitude (most importantly). He is a freshman and will have growing pains like other stud freshmen point guards (Hurley, JWill, etc.). But with his talent, supporting cast, and tutelage, I'd bet the house that he will figure it out and be fine. (But I'm happily married and thus not betting any houses. So I wouldn't bet the house. Only beer.)

I agree. I think Grayson will be a huge help to him. He has a ton of experience playing at Duke, and has even played a little point guard at Duke. And he obviously he more experience than almost anyone in college today in dealing with the media. Duval seems like he has a good head on his shoulders and though he will surely have some ups and downs, I think he will be great.

Troublemaker
10-24-2017, 01:30 PM

There's no mutual exclusivity there. The claims of Trevon's current struggles are legit (and backed up by Coach K's statements) AND Trevon will likely be fine in due time as he continues to get coached up by Coach K and the rest of the staff.

Much of it seems pretty simple to solve, imo; easy for me to say from my couch. He's just got to let the game come to him and not force the spectacular play. Trevon's a struggling slugger who needs to make his swing compact and start trying to hit opposite-field singles to break out of his slump. Make the simple play, and like the struggling slugger who tries for opposite-field singles, he'll find that all of a sudden he'll hit more homeruns than when he was only trying to hit homeruns.

English
10-24-2017, 01:40 PM
There's no mutual exclusivity there. The claims of Trevon's current struggles are legit (and backed up by Coach K's statements) AND Trevon will likely be fine in due time as he continues to get coached up by Coach K and the rest of the staff.

Much of it seems pretty simple to solve, imo; easy for me to say from my couch. He's just got to let the game come to him and not force the spectacular play. Trevon's a struggling slugger who needs to make his swing compact and start trying to hit opposite-field singles to break out of his slump. Make the simple play, and like the struggling slugger who tries for opposite-field singles, he'll find that all of a sudden he'll hit more homeruns than when he was only trying to hit homeruns.

Not much to disagree with here, but I'll add that his suboptimal shooting has been well-documented in his scouting reports, etc., so that shouldn't be a major surprise to anyone here. He seems more Rajon Rondo or Derrick Rose than Chris Paul or Steph Curry.

dukelifer
10-24-2017, 02:07 PM

To me, his alley oop to himself speaks a lot about the kid. His is uber athletic and likes the spectacular play- but if he is going to be a top guard at the next level (and in a year as he expects)- he has to learn the fundamentals of the position very quickly and that is no easy task. The fact that his shooting is not elite by any stretch- makes this more critical. I think he has the potential to be a top ACC guard in time- but if he has dreams of being one and done- he has work to do. That is the reality for point guards that are not 6' 7" and above.

Dukehky
10-24-2017, 02:10 PM
My one concern with Duval is that he may actually be trying to listen to K, and may be doing it a little too much. He's best when he's free flowing, improvising, attacking. If K wants him to make sure he protects the ball, which takes away from his aggressiveness and compounds the problem.

I thought he looked pretty good most of the countdown game, couple of silly drives into traffic, but the handle and the talent is all there.

More than anything, Duval and K may need to get a little more used to each other's styles (mostly so K can coach him the best way possible).

Pro Scouts still see Duval and Sexton as by far the top two lead guys in this year's draft class. Duval could definitely slide out of the top ten, but there's no way he's not going first round. He's better than Frank Jackson, Jackson almost made the first round in a. way, way deeper draft.

flyingdutchdevil
10-24-2017, 02:26 PM
To me, his alley oop to himself speaks a lot about the kid. His is uber athletic and likes the spectacular play- but if he is going to be a top guard at the next level (and in a year as he expects)- he has to learn the fundamentals of the position very quickly and that is no easy task. The fact that his shooting is not elite by any stretch- makes this more critical. I think he has the potential to be a top ACC guard in time- but if he has dreams of being one and done- he has work to do. That is the reality for point guards that are not 6' 7" and above.

I think people are blowing this self alley-oop out of proportion. This was the equivalent an NBA All-Star game; it was fun, for the fans, and likely not taken seriously by the coaching staff.

I'm happy Duval attempted that insane dunk (and made it!). If he does that in a game with the score on the line? Now that is inappropriate.

Dukehky
10-24-2017, 02:41 PM

He's widely considered to have the highest ceiling of any lead guard in the country right now. He may not be 6'7 (none of the "great" point guards in the league are), but he's 6'3 with a 6'9 wingspan and explosive athleticism. You know that he doesn't have fundamentals after 1 scrimmage? His passing and ball handling are the best in this freshman class, as are his measurables for a guard.

The whole notion that "if he wants to be a one and done, he's got a long way to go" is so ridiculous. It's like you're getting ready to be able to say that if he leaves, it's a bad decision, because "he's not ready." He may not be great this year, very possible that he's not awesome, but he's gonna be one and done and he's going to go in the first round regardless of what Jeff Goodman says after 1 day of practice. Point guard is a hard position to play and he's got a lot of mouths to feed on the court. But this kid is a freaking animal, and he's going to be important for our season. And you know what? If he's not, then they might put Bagley at the point!

dukelifer
10-24-2017, 03:27 PM
He's widely considered to have the highest ceiling of any lead guard in the country right now. He may not be 6'7 (none of the "great" point guards in the league are), but he's 6'3 with a 6'9 wingspan and explosive athleticism. You know that he doesn't have fundamentals after 1 scrimmage? His passing and ball handling are the best in this freshman class, as are his measurables for a guard.

The whole notion that "if he wants to be a one and done, he's got a long way to go" is so ridiculous. It's like you're getting ready to be able to say that if he leaves, it's a bad decision, because "he's not ready." He may not be great this year, very possible that he's not awesome, but he's gonna be one and done and he's going to go in the first round regardless of what Jeff Goodman says after 1 day of practice. Point guard is a hard position to play and he's got a lot of mouths to feed on the court. But this kid is a freaking animal, and he's going to be important for our season. And you know what? If he's not, then they might put Bagley at the point!

Not sure I said that he has a long way to go. I said he has work to do. This is not just me and the evaluation after one scrimmage- this is suggested by K and other coaches. As you say point guard is not easy. I also said he has the potential to be a great ACC guard. I have watched enough of the pro game to know that shooting is more highly regarded than ever and his one knock is the lack of a consistent shot. He will probably get drafted on his athleticism alone but at some point he will need to develop his game. All I know is that he is not Freshman Kyrie or Jay Williams. But if he leads this team to a successful season - I will be happy. I hope that is his goal as well.

Kedsy
10-24-2017, 03:36 PM
All I know is that he is not Freshman Kyrie or Jay Williams.

Freshman Jason Williams didn't shoot so well, either (41.9% overall FG; 35.4% 3-pt; 68.5% FT). He also turned the ball over a lot (4.1 topg). So for all we know, Trevon might be a freshman Jason Williams, after all.

duke4ever19
10-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Goodman also tweeted this:

"One NBA executive that has seen both Kentucky and Duke told me that he felt like the Blue Devils were 10 or so points better as of today."

Doesn't mean too much, but it sure will irk the UK fans :)

dukelifer
10-25-2017, 07:17 AM
Freshman Jason Williams didn't shoot so well, either (41.9% overall FG; 35.4% 3-pt; 68.5% FT). He also turned the ball over a lot (4.1 topg). So for all we know, Trevon might be a freshman Jason Williams, after all.

If he averages 15 a game with 6 plus assists, becomes ACC Rookie of the year and National Freshman of the Year - all will be good ;).

dukelifer
10-25-2017, 07:26 AM
I think people are blowing this self alley-oop out of proportion. This was the equivalent an NBA All-Star game; it was fun, for the fans, and likely not taken seriously by the coaching staff.

I'm happy Duval attempted that insane dunk (and made it!). If he does that in a game with the score on the line? Now that is inappropriate.

Sure- it was fun. But even in this game a 360 would have been similarly spectacular and safer. I don't want to bash Trevon, but we assume that these kids can come in and be ready from day one. He has a hard job- playing point and deferring to better or more experienced teammates to win. We will see how he manages this new experience.

left_hook_lacey
10-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Have you seen our team this year? Everyday is Pro day!!!