PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #89 - Blue White Recap

JasonEvans
10-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Listen here: https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-89-blue-white-recap

0:00 A big thanks to our sponsor, ByrdCampbell.com
0:32 Welcome to Ep #89, we start by talking about silly stuff like audio problems and squirrels.
2:40 Countdown to Crazieness! We begin with the important stuff… how the players danced when they were introduced.
9:40 “Hey let’s actually talk about the game.” Sam breaks down the guard play from Duval and Trent.
13:30 We all gush over Trevon Duval’s absurd, ridiculous dunk at the end of the game.
16:30 Jason talks about the impressive Atlanta freshmen Tucker, Goldwire, O’Connell, and Carter.
23:15 Donald leads the conversation about the big men Bagley, Bolden, and DeLaurier.
31:30 We look back on other CTC games and the false promises they made and we all pick the most surprising thing we saw from the Blue-White game.
39:10 Have you seen the new Nike/Lebron “Want It All” commercial that features Duke? We think it will really piss off Kentucky and Carolina fans.
51:50 Thanks again to ByrdCampbell.com
52:40 Football time… things are not good. We look back at the disappointing Pitt game and ahead to a really tough matchup against Va Tech.
1:03:35 Parting Shots – Jason on a coach who protests against the Adidas scandal schools
1:06:10 Parting Shots – Sam is going to see Mason Plumlee play tonight
1:06:40 Parting Shots – Donald says goodbye to RFK stadium
1:08:35 Goodbye and Duke band

UrinalCake
10-24-2017, 09:43 AM
Enjoyed the pod as always!

- The player intro dances really made me miss Frank Jackson.
- I was surprised you guys didn't talk more about Bagley's performance. Maybe it's just taken for granted that he's a phenomenal talent, but I was really really impressed. Also Grayson's crazy good shooting (!)
- Too much is being made of Duval doing the crazy self-oop in a game. This was a glorified pep rally to entertain the fans. We already take it way more seriously than most other schools IMO. I don't think this is indicative that he's going to try this in a real game.
- Regarding the Nike commercial, I assume they had to make some things generic so that it wouldn't be an NCAA violation. I was actually surprised they could even use Duke's jersey. The commercial was awesome and will only fuel the notion that Duke has an unfair recruiting advantage, which people have been saying since the latter part of K's tenure with the National team.

JasonEvans
10-24-2017, 12:02 PM
- I was surprised you guys didn't talk more about Bagley's performance. Maybe it's just taken for granted that he's a phenomenal talent, but I was really really impressed. Also Grayson's crazy good shooting (!)

We talked about that we wanted to focus on the new talents. Grayson being a stud shooter is nothing new to Duke fans. You are right that we sorta glossed over Bagley a bit too much. His gracefulness, explosion, and general skill level were jaw-dropping for a guy his size... and it all seemed so effortless. I'm betting there will be games where he drops 20+ and 10+ boards where it doesn't even seem like he is dominating.

-Jason "as always, thanks for listening. We appreciate any and all feedback!" Evans

proelitedota
10-24-2017, 12:33 PM
YES! Being waiting for this since Friday.

Dukehky
10-24-2017, 09:05 PM
Just listened, really enjoyed it.

Thought one of the guys raised an interesting point regarding the Nike Commercial, pointing out that Nike didn't get Coach K in the commercial.

I wonder if that was intentional on the part of Coach K. As we are all aware, we are in the last few years (I'll leave the definition of few up to you) of the K Era. I wonder if they asked him to do it, and he said no thanks, in an effort to start to separate Duke's success from Coach K a little bit. As was accurately pointed out, this will likely, and should definitely, be used by Duke as a recruiting tool. Other schools, starting as early as the 2019 recruiting class, are espousing the concern about K's longevity at the program as a negative recruiting tactic. I believe that this commercial, if K did in fact decline to participate (he could have done so for any number of reasons, or they could have not asked him to do it), at least in part conveys the idea that Duke is, and will be, more than just Coach K. That the legacy will outlast him.

If that is in fact what happened, I think that is incredibly intelligent and forward thinking, and is actually pretty selfless of K. While we all love the man, he has a huge ego, it's part of the reason for all his success.

Again, that's entirely conjecture, but I think, at least at some level, whether it was intentional or not, that the commercial does in fact throw the support of the biggest sporting apparel in the world's behind the program, even without Coach K being attached, which is only a good thing for Duke.

cbarry
10-24-2017, 11:28 PM
Loved the podcast as always! Nice work guys.

1 request. I’m a bit of a stickler on name pronunciations. Jason always mispronounces Bolden’s first name.

I’ve always heard him (&Coach K) pronounce it as “mar-KWEESS”. Jason says “mar-KEESS”

Here it is from Marques himself:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwi5u9Tz6YrXAhXCJiYKHe37CCgQwqsBCA8wAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Snp H9Y5M2Y&usg=AOvVaw13cWXlfq7U5vK4dlOOKeeL

JasonEvans
10-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Loved the podcast as always! Nice work guys.

1 request. I’m a bit of a stickler on name pronunciations. Jason always mispronounces Bolden’s first name.

I’ve always heard him (&Coach K) pronounce it as “mar-KWEESS”. Jason says “mar-KEESS”

Here it is from Marques himself:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwi5u9Tz6YrXAhXCJiYKHe37CCgQwqsBCA8wAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Snp H9Y5M2Y&usg=AOvVaw13cWXlfq7U5vK4dlOOKeeL

Thanks for that, cbarry. I fully admit that I have been doing it wrong but I shall make every effort to fix that in the future.

BandAlum83
10-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Just listened, really enjoyed it.

Thought one of the guys raised an interesting point regarding the Nike Commercial, pointing out that Nike didn't get Coach K in the commercial.

I wonder if that was intentional on the part of Coach K. As we are all aware, we are in the last few years (I'll leave the definition of few up to you) of the K Era. I wonder if they asked him to do it, and he said no thanks, in an effort to start to separate Duke's success from Coach K a little bit. As was accurately pointed out, this will likely, and should definitely, be used by Duke as a recruiting tool. Other schools, starting as early as the 2019 recruiting class, are espousing the concern about K's longevity at the program as a negative recruiting tactic. I believe that this commercial, if K did in fact decline to participate (he could have done so for any number of reasons, or they could have not asked him to do it), at least in part conveys the idea that Duke is, and will be, more than just Coach K. That the legacy will outlast him.

If that is in fact what happened, I think that is incredibly intelligent and forward thinking, and is actually pretty selfless of K. While we all love the man, he has a huge ego, it's part of the reason for all his success.

Again, that's entirely conjecture, but I think, at least at some level, whether it was intentional or not, that the commercial does in fact throw the support of the biggest sporting apparel in the world's behind the program, even without Coach K being attached, which is only a good thing for Duke.

Coach K is all about brand these days. The real challenge will be to separate the Duke brand from the K brand in such a way as to ensure future success at Duke.

What do I mean? Well, I'm not sure UCLA was ever able to successfully separate its brand from Wooden.

UNC, for all it's failings, has seemed to separate its Brand from Dean Smith to continued (cheating) success.

The Carolina way is more of a brand than Dean or Roy. Will "The Brotherhood" be a brand that continues forward without K? Personally, I believe it will. Especially with how K has only brought in Ex Duke players as assistants the last Decade or so (not sure when Spatola was an assistant, but you get my meaning).

flyingdutchdevil
10-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Like the breakdown of the srimmage and the overview of the commercial.

Some feedback:

1) Would have loved to hear more about Bagley than Tucker, O'Connell, White, etc. I know that we are covering the whole team here, but the coverage on Bagley was minimal.

2) Please call a spade a spade. The dancing was downright terrible, minus a few dances here and there. The poor dancing is a combination of poor dancers coupled with putting players in an awkward position where they have to dance by themselves. Not ideal. And you know what? Who cares if these guys suck at dancing. It means they're spending more time on basketball!

3) Would have loved to hear about your take on first impressions based on what our players likely need to work on. For instance, how vocal was Grayson? How was Duval's shot? How was Marques's motor?

plimnko
10-25-2017, 10:26 AM
The Carolina way is more of a brand than Dean or Roy.

shouldn't it be updated to the "Carolina Cheating Way" ?

Dev11
10-25-2017, 10:34 AM
3) Would have loved to hear about your take on first impressions based on what our players likely need to work on. For instance, how vocal was Grayson? How was Duval's shot? How was Marques's motor?

Thanks for the constructive feedback. I should have said this in my segment, but in general, I find it hard to evaluate these games when it's Duke on Duke. I said a little bit about how a scrimmage can warp our perceptions because some success or failure between our guys may be due to them being so familiar with each other. Alex O'Connell might be all over how to get open against players who guard him every day, but that doesn't mean he will find open shots against ACC defenders on other teams, for example. Given this, I'm hesitant to point out specific things that need work. As we get to the cupcake games, I'll be modest in praising the big men if they're matched up against a small opponent. Duke will out-rebound those overmatched teams severely this year given their size.

Let's fast forward to Michigan State, and then we'll really know what kind of team we're looking at.

BandAlum83
10-25-2017, 10:38 AM
The Carolina way is more of a brand than Dean or Roy.

shouldn't it be updated to the "Carolina Cheating Way" ?

I wouldn't object.....

UrinalCake
10-25-2017, 10:52 AM
How is it possible that Jason doesn't know the significance of "Every Time We Touch"? They play this two minutes before tipoff at every home game, usually while K is walking onto the court. K even mentioned it during his speech at the victory pep rally after winning it all in 2015, he said he loves hearing it and he wishes he could start dancing with the Crazies but has to maintain an air of composure. Then some time during the second half of every game, the band plays it again during a timeout. The crowd goes crazy again, and there are these two old guys in the upper level who start dancing to it too. The Jumbotron will pan between the two of them in a type of dance-off. I understand that one of the guys is a neurosurgeon at the Duke hospital, he likes to bring props to hold while he dances like flashing lights or my favorite, two GTHC signs.

Anyways, Every Time We Touch is forever ingrained in Cameron lore. We need to get you out to a game!

flyingdutchdevil
10-25-2017, 10:54 AM
How is it possible that Jason doesn't know the significance of "Every Time We Touch"? They play this two minutes before tipoff at every home game, usually while K is walking onto the court. K even mentioned it during his speech at the victory pep rally after winning it all in 2015, he said he loves hearing it and he wishes he could start dancing with the Crazies but has to maintain an air of composure. Then some time during the second half of every game, the band plays it again during a timeout. The crowd goes crazy again, and there are these two old guys in the upper level who start dancing to it too. The Jumbotron will pan between the two of them in a type of dance-off. I understand that one of the guys is a neurosurgeon at the Duke hospital, he likes to bring props to hold while he dances like flashing lights or my favorite, two GTHC signs.

Anyways, Every Time We Touch is forever ingrained in Cameron lore. We need to get you out to a game!

Great song. But it's from a German artist. Gross.

#longliveholland

IrishDevil
10-25-2017, 10:56 AM

To be fair to Jason, this is a relatively recent addition (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/10/birth-of-a-tradition-how-everytime-we-touch-became-dukes-unofficial-anthem)to "Cameron lore" - it's not like Dick Groat was warming up to it.

UrinalCake
10-25-2017, 02:21 PM
Even UNC fans like the song!

http://youtu.be/qoLOejwYwow

JasonEvans
10-25-2017, 03:46 PM
To be fair to Jason, this is a relatively recent addition (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/10/birth-of-a-tradition-how-everytime-we-touch-became-dukes-unofficial-anthem)to "Cameron lore" - it's not like Dick Groat was warming up to it.

Thanks... I have only been to 3 or 4 games in Cameron in the past 5 years or so. I wish I had been to more, but I just cannot get to Durham as often as I would like (if Duke had admitted my son this past year, that would have changed but he got waitlisted and when he got into Penn we pulled from the Duke waitlist). So, while I had some awareness of Everytime We Touch, I did not know how big a part of Duke hoops it had become. My bad...

--Jason "I still think it is a silly, cheesy song and I am no fan... but I get the excitement about it if you are live in the stadium" Evans

Dev11
10-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Thanks... I have only been to 3 or 4 games in Cameron in the past 5 years or so. I wish I had been to more, but I just cannot get to Durham as often as I would like (if Duke had admitted my son this past year, that would have changed but he got waitlisted and when he got into Penn we pulled from the Duke waitlist). So, while I had some awareness of Everytime We Touch, I did not know how big a part of Duke hoops it had become. My bad...

--Jason "I still think it is a silly, cheesy song and I am no fan... but I get the excitement about it if you are live in the stadium" Evans

I should have harped on this more, because in my day, I was an adept "Every Time We Touch" participant. I know there were at least a handful of games where I ended up on the jumbotron for a while during the fun part of the song. I was even an angry old man about it when they switched from having the band playing it to having it resonate from the loudspeakers. I love that recent tradition addition.

El_Diablo
10-29-2017, 11:58 AM
I should have harped on this more, because in my day, I was an adept "Every Time We Touch" participant. I know there were at least a handful of games where I ended up on the jumbotron for a while during the fun part of the song. I was even an angry old man about it when they switched from having the band playing it to having it resonate from the loudspeakers. I love that recent tradition addition.

It was fun (borderline magical) at first, but after hearing it two to three times per game (counting pregame) for years, I am kind of sick of it now personally. It seems like it has just become another "Our House" check-the-box type thing.