PDA

View Full Version : unCheat news- Berry breaks Right Hand

DangerDevil
10-23-2017, 01:38 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21127367/north-carolina-tar-heels-joel-berry-breaks-hand

"The school announced Berry will miss about four weeks but did not disclose how he suffered the injury."

Pure speculation on my part but my money says he punched an academic advisor for making him sign up for real classes.😃

ChillinDuke
10-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Conveniently back for the game at Stanford, in which they'd probably be an underdog without Berry.

- Chillin

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-23-2017, 01:48 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21127367/north-carolina-tar-heels-joel-berry-breaks-hand

"The school announced Berry will miss about four weeks but did not disclose how he suffered the injury."

Pure speculation on my part but my money says he punched an academic advisor for making him sign up for real classes.😃
Well, we know it wasn’t the NCAA giving anyone over there a slap on the wrist, or hand, as it were...

uh_no
10-23-2017, 02:02 PM
I usually feel bad for guys who get injured....but given recent events, I have a really hard time feeling for a tar-hole who suffered a non-career threatening injury (e.g. ACL).

sucks for you. not sorry you won't be able to wear that ill-gotten ring for another few weeks.

Henderson
10-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Even with cheaters, I feel for guys who go down to an athletic injury. They're just guys trying to make it in basketball at whatever level.

But that only applies to sports-related injuries. If we learn that Berry broke his hand while drunk or that he smashed his fist into a desk in class screaming, "Where is the freaking education I was promised!!?" that would be another thing.

So I'm waiting for more of an explanation.

OldPhiKap
10-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Hope he has a full recovery soon.

And then we beat UNC by thirty.

UrinalCake
10-23-2017, 02:10 PM
Overuse injury from having to write his own papers.

Billy Dat
10-23-2017, 02:16 PM
The wheel of fortune spins on....all things considered, the timing works out for Berry to not miss much. Granted, he is the most important player, by far, on their team but I don't see this changing their fortunes much. I think this is karma for allowing those pics of his transformed body to be so widely shared...the white tights were a bad look, broham.

whereinthehellami
10-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Feel bad for the kid but Karma let me introduce you to the cheaters. When you do bad things and gloat about it, it tends to come back on you.

UrinalCake
10-23-2017, 02:43 PM
The CHeats' first game is against Northern Iowa on 11/10, where they will be without Berry. Is it just me, or has the state of Iowa been terrible to them in recent years?

EDIT: I looked it up

11/21/15 L to Northern Iowa 67-71
12/3/14 L to Iowa 55-60
11/23/09 Harrison Barnes commits to UNC in Ames, Iowa

devildeac
10-23-2017, 03:04 PM
I know I'm getting old and the hearing is not as good as it was a decade or more ago, but, I swear, I can hear the faint, distant tones of the world's smallest, quietest violin fading away as the season is about to begin.

CrazyNotCrazie
10-23-2017, 03:10 PM
Perhaps he broke his hand while overly exerting himself in his honors independent study in Swahili sign language?

All kidding aside, he seems like a decent kid and I don't wish injuries upon anyone, though if someone has to be injured, I'm glad the injury Gods have finally made their way down 15-501 a bit.

Wander
10-23-2017, 03:12 PM
The CHeats' first game is against Northern Iowa on 11/10, where they will be without Berry. Is it just me, or has the state of Iowa been terrible to them in recent years?

That was my first thought also - UNC's ranking is so dependent on Joel Berry that I could see them losing an unexpected early game without him.

Ultrarunner
10-23-2017, 03:17 PM
That was my first thought also - UNC's ranking is so dependent on Joel Berry that I could see them losing an unexpected early game without him.

I'd appreciate it if they could do so in the first round at the PKI. Middle daughter is going with me to cheer against them.

bullettoothtony
10-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Sorry to hear it, but perhaps good news on the master of his domain front...

Henderson
10-23-2017, 03:29 PM
Sorry to hear it, but perhaps good news on the master of his domain front...

If you want to compete in Division I, you have to be able to break down a defense with either hand.

22JumpShots
10-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Sounds like he broke it playing in scrimmage.

https://www.argylereport.com/blog/2017/10/23/berry-out-four-weeks-now-what
http://www.goheels.com/news/2017/10/20/mens-basketball-tar-heels-edge-memphis-in-scrimmage.aspx

Still trying to figure out if it was his shooting hand or not...

Edit -

"The injury occurred very recently, as Berry was practicing last week and led the Tar Heels in scoring in the ‘secret scrimmage’ against Memphis." ----

"If he has surgery as soon as possible (and it’s likely he will), that four-week estimate is probaby pretty safe. Six weeks is being ultra-conservative. So Berry misses anywhere from three to nine games, all in November or December, and he returns well ahead of ACC play."

Edit 2 - He broke his right hand. - http://goheels.com/news/2017/10/23/mens-basketball-berry-out-4-weeks-with-broken-hand.aspx

elvis14
10-23-2017, 05:38 PM
I'm so proud of myself. I saw the subject line and thought "we don't have a Berry". Had no idea who you were talking about and the Cheater never even crossed my mind until I started reading.

billy
10-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Probably a good meme in there

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Sounds like he broke it playing in scrimmage.

https://www.argylereport.com/blog/2017/10/23/berry-out-four-weeks-now-what

How obnoxious is it that there is something called the "argyle report?"

gus
10-23-2017, 06:29 PM
The school announced Berry will miss about four weeks but did not disclose how he suffered the injury.

Suggested edit for ESPN:

The "school" announced Berry will miss about four weeks but did not disclose how he suffered the injury.

brevity
10-23-2017, 06:53 PM
I'm so proud of myself. I saw the subject line and thought "we don't have a Berry". Had no idea who you were talking about and the Cheater never even crossed my mind until I started reading.

What about the entire Duke football roster? Still a terrible thread title.

UNC’s Joel Berry breaks hand, will miss 4 weeks

Then again, gotcha headlines are pretty standard on DBR.

MChambers
10-23-2017, 07:33 PM

Why would he have to write his own papers? They got away with it.

CameronBlue
10-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Why would he have to write his own papers? They got away with it.

Irony? I'm going with he lost a bet to Bilas over the severity of NCAA sanctions. Give Bilas credit he knows hypocrisy when he sees it in the mirror.

curtis325
10-23-2017, 08:52 PM

I'm with you. My first thought was maybe this Berry person is a football player, since I don't follow that sport.

devilsince1977
10-23-2017, 09:44 PM
Although I never want to see a college athlete get injured; I have no problem with the Cheats losing their point guard.

elvis14
10-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Although I never want to see a college athlete get injured; I have no problem with the Cheats losing their point guard.

I don't want to see a 'college' althlete get hurt either. I don't consider UNCheat players 'college' athletes.

PackMan97
10-24-2017, 12:15 AM
I don't want to see a 'college' althlete get hurt either. I don't consider UNCheat players 'college' athletes.

Ouch! the worst part is that you are right.

I hate seeing anyone get hurt, but you'd better believe i'll mock them at every opportunity.

Duke76
10-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Ouch! the worst part is that you are right.

I hate seeing anyone get hurt, but you'd better believe i'll mock them at every opportunity.

karma can be a permanent thing if the offense was egregious enough

Frybay
10-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Injury can't be caused by class since they have none!

whereinthehellami
10-24-2017, 07:43 AM
I love it, my post upthread got a ding from a UNC fan. I love how they think they won and that the cloud has been lifted. They spent 18 million dollars because they are too proud to admit that their rampant cheating was wrong. The cloud will never be lifted from sport fans. We all know that you know and you never get to forget. That cloud will always be there. cheaters, cheating, and cheated.

BD80
10-24-2017, 08:03 AM
... If we learn that Berry broke his hand while drunk or that he smashed his fist into a desk in class ...

A tar heel in class, good one.

Duke95
10-24-2017, 08:43 AM
If you're using the fact that UNC cheated for decades to excuse your lack of sympathy for a college kid breaking his hand, just stop. It's not a good look.

Those two things have nothing to do with each other.

rsvman
10-24-2017, 09:54 AM
When I heard he broke his hand, I figured it was from getting blocked because of the low release on his jump shots.

richardjackson199
10-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery. I hate injuries. I'd prefer Grayson out-dueling him on the court.

This won't affect the cheats at all. It's October and he's back in 4 weeks. Pinson was out longer than this, later last year with a broken foot, and they didn't miss a beat. Yes Dingle-Berry is crucial to that assembly of tar-holes. But he should be back soon enough to stink it up. I hope he is in time to participate in every loss he can.

Duke95
10-24-2017, 02:08 PM
I hope Berry heals and is back up to 100% as quickly as possible.

That said, I hope we beat UNC by 50 each game and Duval scores at will on him.

BD80
10-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Time wounds all heels ...

wobatus
10-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Time wounds all heels ...

Nick Lowe (with lyrics sorta apropos):

https://play.google.com/music/preview/Tlkpknzi5uy2simsvhm6agev3fm?lyrics=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=search&utm_campaign=lyrics&pcampaignid=kp-songlyrics

sandinmyshoes
10-25-2017, 11:04 AM
I hope Berry heals and is back up to 100% as quickly as possible.

That said, I hope we beat UNC by 50 each game and Duval scores at will on him.

Pretty much my take. I will say that among the last few years of UNC players, I have an appreciation for Berry having defended Grayson Allen when the media narrative was in full frenzy mode.

LasVegas
10-25-2017, 11:32 AM
Per Goodman, Roy Williams said Berry broke his hand on a door after losing a video game...........

flyingdutchdevil
10-25-2017, 11:35 AM
Per Goodman, Roy Williams said Berry broke his hand on a door after losing a video game.......

Lol. Are we sure these players aren't still taking paper classes? Clearly not the smartest move.

But it does show a competitive spirit!

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-25-2017, 11:39 AM
Per Goodman, Roy Williams said Berry broke his hand on a door after losing a video game...
Now that actually is funny. I mean it couldn’t have been an academic injury.

UrinalCake
10-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Per Goodman, Roy Williams said Berry broke his hand on a door after losing a video game.......

If that's the case then all manner of "I feel sorry for the kid, feel bad that he got hurt" goes right out the window.

OldPhiKap
10-25-2017, 11:49 AM
If that's the case then all manner of "I feel sorry for the kid, feel bad that he got hurt" goes right out the window.

I still feel bad for the kid. Just like I feel bad for J-Will, even though the accident which ended his pro career was a really really dumb thing too.

Mistakes happen, freak accidents happen. Hope he has a full recovery. Won't be watching though. Screw Carolina, I'm done with 'em.

PackMan97
10-25-2017, 11:51 AM
Now that actually is funny. I mean it couldn’t have been an academic injury.

If he were at NC State it could have been an academic injury.

https://www.csc.ncsu.edu/academics/undergrad/bs-csc-gdc.php

dukebluesincebirth
10-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Now wait a minute... how would Roy possibly know what his players are doing away from basketball??🤔 There’s just no way he could’ve possibly known about this video game! I’m baffled.

sandinmyshoes
10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
I remember many, many years ago when my wife threatened to hide the TV remote when I watched Duke games. We may have had to replace one, or two. And patch a remote dinged sheetrock wall. But I NEVER hit anything with my hand.

UrinalCake
10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
I still feel bad for the kid. Just like I feel bad for J-Will, even though the accident which ended his pro career was a really really dumb thing too.

I get that, but seriously - you're a senior all-American and you break your hand over a video game? That's almost as dumb as Hansbrough and Frasor jumping off a frat house balcony into an inflatable pool.

PackMan97
10-25-2017, 12:13 PM
That's almost as dumb as Hansbrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JieHmC9DH8

TruBlu
10-25-2017, 12:22 PM
How many academic credits does a unc athlete get for playing a video game.

If he loses a video game, does he not make the Dean’s list?

BD80
10-25-2017, 12:30 PM
If he were at NC State it could have been an academic injury.

https://www.csc.ncsu.edu/academics/undergrad/bs-csc-gdc.php

I was expecting:

devildeac
10-25-2017, 12:48 PM
How many academic credits does a unc athlete get for playing a video game.

If he loses a video game, does he not make the Dean’s list?

Video gaming must be an upper level course over at the dump.

DangerDevil
10-25-2017, 01:10 PM

“North Carolina Tar Heels senior point guard Joel Berry II broke his right hand last week by punching a door after losing a video game to teammate Theo Pinson and a manager.

"He did a silly thing," North Carolina coach Roy Williams told ESPN at ACC media day Wednesday. "That's what it was. One of his greatest characteristics is his competitiveness."

Since the video game was available to the manager (assume he counts as a regular student) I don’t think the injury should count against them.

left_hook_lacey
10-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Video gaming must be an upper level course over at the dump.

Reports are coming out that it was a multiplication matching game similar to space Invaders. Berry was angry he couldn't get passes his "5 times tables" while his opponent had dominated all the way up to 9's.

The frustration set in as Berry kept missing 5×5, the easiest of the 5's.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-25-2017, 01:26 PM
National Champion, Final 4 Most Outstanding Player.

I'd bet nobody around the program is too upset at him for being a college kid and doing something silly like that.

dukelion
10-25-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21154348/north-carolina-tar-heels-guard-joel-berry-breaks-hand-punching-door

BandAlum83
10-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Reports are coming out that it was a multiplication matching game similar to space Invaders. Berry was angry he couldn't get passes his "5 times tables" while his opponent had dominated all the way up to 9's.

The frustration set in as Berry kept missing 5×5, the easiest of the 5's.

OK, I'll bite...

How so?

PackMan97
10-25-2017, 01:33 PM
How so?

5x5
Multply two fives.
two five

gus
10-25-2017, 01:35 PM
National Champion, Final 4 Most Outstanding Player.

I'd bet nobody around the program is too upset at him for being a "college" kid and doing something silly like that.

Corrected.

BandAlum83
10-25-2017, 01:37 PM
5x5
Multply two fives.
two five

LOL. ok. Never heard that. Is that how they teach it over in the NC State remedial math classes the summers before Freshman year? ;)

PackMan97
10-25-2017, 01:51 PM
LOL. ok. Never heard that. Is that how they teach it over in the NC State remedial math classes the summers before Freshman year? ;)

I wouldn't know...I was an engineering student. As me about remedial reading and I can help you :)

ChillinDuke
10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
Theo Pinson rocks.

- Chillin

DangerDevil
10-25-2017, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't know...I was an engineering student. As me about remedial reading and I can help you :)

Well played typo in your last sentence to prove your point!😀

CrazyNotCrazie
10-25-2017, 02:27 PM
I think I found the game - clearly for academic credit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiGS_VbtN6A

JetpackJesus
10-25-2017, 05:01 PM
5x5
Multply two fives.
two five
https://media.giphy.com/media/OK27wINdQS5YQ/giphy.gif

OldPhiKap
10-25-2017, 05:34 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/OK27wINdQS5YQ/giphy.gif

I still use the "multiply by nine" finger trick, as well as the add-the-digits trick to determine if a number is divisible by 3.

dudog84
10-25-2017, 06:41 PM
I still use the "multiply by nine" finger trick, as well as the add-the-digits trick to determine if a number is divisible by 3.

I use the calculator on my phone.

Are kids even taught these tricks anymore?

cato
10-25-2017, 07:09 PM
I use the calculator on my phone.

Are kids even taught these tricks anymore?

I have a second grader, and so far, they are taught different strategies to figure out the answer, rather than memorizing multiplication tables or using memory based tricks.

JetpackJesus
10-25-2017, 07:46 PM

I know none of these tricks. We just were given a times table and told to learn it.

I was talking to someone a few years ago who said they weren't teaching multiplication to his kid using times tables. They were doing something where they made dots on a paper and got to the answer somehow. He tried to explain it to me, but I could not follow it at all.

*EDIT: In my defense, we were drinking beers at the time.

BD80
10-25-2017, 09:28 PM
I know none of these tricks. We just were given a times table and told to learn it.

I was talking to someone a few years ago who said they weren't teaching multiplication to his kid using times tables. They were doing something where they made dots on a paper and got to the answer somehow. He tried to explain it to me, but I could not follow it at all.

*EDIT: In my defense, we were drinking beers at the time.

Yeah, try learning multiplication using roman numerals. THAT was tough!

Duke95
10-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Whoa. This thread has taken quite a turn. LOL.

UrinalCake
10-25-2017, 11:47 PM
I have two daughters, they were taught addition and then multiplication using visual representations of numbers - for example, sticks for the ones digits, rocks for the tens digits, and leaves for the hundreds. Then you can do things like trade ten sticks for a rock, simplify the problem, and solve. It seems like overkill for really simple numbers where it would be faster to just add it in your head, but the concept can then be applied to bigger numbers. Makes sense to me, but I know this type of problem solving drives a lot of other parents crazy.

In other news, Joel Berry is still a moron.

brevity
10-26-2017, 03:25 AM
While it was awesome to see a thread about UNC take an unexpected detour into education, I'm afraid the news must intervene.

CHAPEL HILL, NC -- Joel Berry II, the senior point guard for the North Carolina Tar Heels who was named Most Outstanding Player of the 2017 NCAA Tournament, is expected to miss four weeks after breaking his hand last week in a video game-related injury. Berry was playing NBA 2K18 with teammate Theo Pinson and a team manager when the incident happened. But while other news agencies have reported that Berry's injury resulted from hitting a door in frustration after losing a game, inside sources are now saying that this was not the case.

"Actually, he won the game," said Pinson, the senior shooting guard for the Heels. "I was the Lakers and he was the Clippers. But NBA 2K18 lets you step into the role of specific players after the game, and Joel chose to be Blake Griffin. Once our team manager entered the room, Joel went into full Blake Griffin mode and hit him in the face."

Coach Roy Williams was unfazed by the change in circumstances. "Whatever happened don't matter. People hit each other in the face all the dadgum time. I hit [NCAA President] Mark Emmert in the face after Villanova beat us in 2016, and he made sure he bought off enough NCAA officials to give us those wins against Arkansas, Kentucky, Oregon, and Gonzaga in the tournament last season. And then, when we had to go answer questions for that ridiculous academic scandal, I hit Mark in the face again for good measure."

"You know, it's funny," Williams continued. "Joel broke his right hand, which is the same hand Kennedy Meeks clearly stuck out of bounds near the end of that Gonzaga game. Right in front of the official, and no call. It's almost like karma or something. Steal a banner, break a hand. I'll take that deal every day of the week and twice on Sundays, that's for friggin' sure."

North Carolina has not released the name of the team manager Berry struck in the face. He is still in the hospital and could not be reached for comment. He did issue a brief statement before being placed in an ambulance. "Ouch," he said.

cspan37421
10-26-2017, 06:43 AM
I have a second grader, and so far, they are taught different strategies to figure out the answer, rather than memorizing multiplication tables or using memory based tricks.

And thus we get "jack of all trades, master of none"

At least in my case, I figured out different strategies after memorizing the multiplication tables. But then again I'm a numbers guy, so I was probably playing with them in my head more than most.

Tying this back to the thread, I remember an April 1 edition of the Daily Tar Hole from the 1980s in which it was reported that Warren Martin was doing so well in his counting class that he was ready to start scoring in double digits. This leads me to wonder Berry's hand injury might affect his academic progress.

Then again, maybe he's a math whiz and will be doing base 5 arithmetic in his head within the month!

whereinthehellami
10-26-2017, 07:43 AM
*****National Champion*****, Final 4 Most Outstanding Player.

I'd bet nobody around the program is too upset at him for being a college kid and doing something silly like that.

Fixed it for you. Cheaters, cheating, cheated.

Ima Facultiwyfe
10-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Can somebody refresh my memory? I don't think Berry is the first frustrated heel to punch an inanimate object. Wasn't it King Rice, bless his stupid heart, who punched a hole in the wall at the police station? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Love, Ima

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 08:20 AM
I generally look past all this noise but I can't let this slide...

From the DBR front page...

"Williams put it down to his competitiveness, which was kind, but he might have also said, and fairly: what kind of an idiot punches a door? Is this the level of emotional control Berry possesses? It’s like a 12 year old - maybe. One hopes he is better behaved around other people and particularly women."

Whoever wrote that should be ashamed.

Berry is a senior that has been through all the emotional highs and lows of college basketball and never shown a lack of emotional control. We've seen multiple interviews with him and he's always been respectful of everyone...opponents, media, coaches, fans, teammates...you name it. He's been a great college player and role model for kids throughout his career. There's never been a hint of any issues with him. No coach, teammate or institution could ask for more from him as a student/athlete. (Here's some red meat for more lame replies).

Now, in one small dorm room video game accident with his friends, the writer tries to plant the seed in the readers minds that "maybe" it was like a 12 year old horsing around...or just maybe, he could be someone who could assault other people and even women"

That kid doesn't deserve that sort of innuendo but does deserve an apology.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2017, 08:27 AM
I generally look past all this noise but I can't let this slide...

From the DBR front page...

"Williams put it down to his competitiveness, which was kind, but he might have also said, and fairly: what kind of an idiot punches a door? Is this the level of emotional control Berry possesses? It’s like a 12 year old - maybe. One hopes he is better behaved around other people and particularly women."

Whoever wrote that should be ashamed.

Berry is a senior that has been through all the emotional highs and lows of college basketball and never shown a lack of emotional control. We've seen multiple interviews with him and he's always been respectful of everyone...opponents, media, coaches, fans, teammates...you name it. He's been a great college player and role model for kids throughout his career. There's never been a hint of any issues with him. No coach, teammate or institution could ask for more from him as a student/athlete. (Here's some red meat for more lame replies).

Now, in one small dorm room video game accident with his friends, the writer tries to plant the seed in the readers minds that "maybe" it was like a 12 year old horsing around...or just maybe, he could be someone who could assault other people and even women"

That kid doesn't deserve that sort of innuendo but does deserve an apology.

Yes, that goes too far. I agree.

But, you are really pushing limits here this week. I imagine your negative sporks are through the roof.

Good luck with all that.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 08:41 AM
Yes, that goes too far. I agree.

But, you are really pushing limits here this week. I imagine your negative sporks are through the roof.

Good luck with all that.

Let's see, this week, I returned after about 6 months of a break and started a thread to respectfully discuss basketball and then the above post to point out an injustice against a kid...guess I'm a real outlaw?

The negative sporks I seem to get all come from the same crowd, I'm often emboldened to speak my mind from the positive sporks of rational Duke fans who see beyond the petty stuff of a rivalry, and I thank them for that.

OldPhiKap
10-26-2017, 08:53 AM
The author should apologize for that remark.

UNC should apologize for making a mockery of academics, and for conducting a massive and coordinated fraud for around two decades.

Roy Williams should apologize for saying that he didn't know anything about it, when he seems to be plugged in to every other aspect of his player's time.

Lots of things should happen, but won't.

Just sayin'

OldPhiKap
10-26-2017, 09:03 AM
By the way, is there a way to block all posts that reference UNC? I don't give a flying fig about them after this bull and would rather just skip any discussion of them, positive or negative. Let them rot in Hell for all I care.

Thanks in advance for the help.

(And please don't respond "just don't read it," because it is pervasive. I just want it gone. Again, thanks in advance.)

CameronBlue
10-26-2017, 09:07 AM
Let's see, this week, I returned after about 6 months of a break and started a thread to respectfully discuss basketball and then the above post to point out an injustice against a kid...guess I'm a real outlaw?

The negative sporks I seem to get all come from the same crowd, I'm often emboldened to speak my mind from the positive sporks of rational Duke fans who see beyond the petty stuff of a rivalry, and I thank them for that.

So what now you're a victim? I'm not a negative spork kindof of poster, but you're breaking my heart, oh and welcome to the club. Just because the NCAA failed in its mandate to be the arbiter of sportsmanship and fair play doesn't mean that there aren't consequences. It just means those consequences are going to materialize in devious and unexpected ways, fairly or unfairly. That sense of collegiality you hoped to rekindle with the thread now closed used to be a hallmark of the rivalry and many Duke posters here invested a lot in a rivalry that was ostensibly being played on a level playing field. To them, whether you intended it or not, your thread was an insult and your naivete striking. Pettiness? I guess your mileage may vary given your take on the severity of the UNC scam but the NCAA delivered that collegiality you seek the coup de grace, three hot ones in the brain pan. You, like many of us who invested emotionally in the rivalry now must deal with the consequences. Why should you get off scott free when for many here, the rivalry has irrecoverably changed?

BD80
10-26-2017, 09:13 AM
By the way, is there a way to block all posts that reference UNC? I don't give a flying fig about them after this bull and would rather just skip any discussion of them, positive or negative. Let them rot in Hell for all I care.

(And please don't respond "just don't read it," because it is pervasive. I just want it gone. Again, thanks in advance.)

But you'd also have to block all posts that reference "cheating," "academic fraud," "paper classes," "clueless," "arrogant," "shucks," "golly," ... the list goes on and on ...

OK, I'm in, how do we do this?

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 09:24 AM
So what now you're a victim? I'm not a negative spork kindof of poster, but you're breaking my heart, oh and welcome to the club. Just because the NCAA failed in its mandate to be the arbiter of sportsmanship and fair play doesn't mean that there aren't consequences. It just means those consequences are going to materialize in devious and unexpected ways, fairly or unfairly. That sense of collegiality you hoped to rekindle with the thread now closed used to be a hallmark of the rivalry and many Duke posters here invested a lot in a rivalry that was ostensibly being played on a level playing field. To them, whether you intended it or not, your thread was an insult and your naivete striking. Pettiness? I guess your mileage may vary given your take on the severity of the UNC scam but the NCAA delivered that collegiality you seek the coup de grace, three hot ones in the brain pan. You, like many of us who invested emotionally in the rivalry now must deal with the consequences. Why should you get off scott free when for many here, the rivalry has irrecoverably changed?

This is what happens on a internet message board. Sometimes I think we live in the twilight zone.

Did you guys even read my post on the writers innuendo regarding Berry? Let's focus on that post and avoid the hijack.

I'd be happy to discuss the whole issue with UNC's academics in another thread, but I've avoided it because I know board moderators would have a hard time with it, and it would likely get ugly. If I do chime in on all that, your head would explode :)

weezie
10-26-2017, 09:30 AM
Punched a wall after losing a video game?

What a moron.

CameronBlue
10-26-2017, 09:35 AM
This is what happens on a internet message board. Sometimes I think we live in the twilight zone.

Did you guys even read my post on the writers innuendo regarding Berry? Let's focus on that post and avoid the hijack.

I'd be happy to discuss the whole issue with UNC's academics in another thread, but I've avoided it because I know board moderators would have a hard time with it, and it would likely get ugly. If I do chime in on all that, your head would likely explode :)

Sorry, I don't buy it. Either you were looking for a measure of payback for the closed thread or you didn't read MY post. Innuendo ain't a pretty look, no question, and I don't have a problem with it being called out. It should be called out. But YOU felt victimized, you stated it e-x-p-l-i-c-i-t-l-y. It calls into question your true intent, at minimum you charted the way for the thread hijack.

BandAlum83
10-26-2017, 09:36 AM

This is one very well written post. I can't imagine you were in the engineering school ;)

whereinthehellami
10-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Jason mentions in the other closed thread about UNC basketball started by a UNC troll that DBR is reviewing the possibility of letting that thread stay open as a basketball only thread. Are you %$&*! kidding me! The UNC trolls would like nothing better to be able to just skate on by their rampant cheating and just talk hoops. And DBR moderators are talking about helping them with this. Unbelievable!

I'd be happy to discuss the whole issue with UNC's academics in another thread, but I've avoided it because I know board moderators would have a hard time with it, and it would likely get ugly. If I do chime in on all that, your head would explode :)

Wheat you got some stones, giving me a negative comment ding because I don't want to hear you trolling about UNC. And to all those DBR brethern that say Wheat is a good guy, look at his above post. Do you realize what he is saying? He is threatening to besmudge Duke on a Duke board. Just when i think I have seen it all, I get wheated!

BandAlum83
10-26-2017, 09:40 AM

It's simple, Wheat, one post stipulating that UNC lied and cheated their way to multiple championships will do the trick. For good measure, you can add that they lied, delayed, confused, obfuscated and obstructed their way to one more along the way.

You would gain some of your credibility back and demonstrate you are able to think objectively.

BD80
10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Wheat you got some stones, giving me a negative comment ding because I don't want to hear you trolling about UNC. And to all those DBR brethern that say Wheat is good guy, look at his above post. Do you realize what he is saying? He is threatening to besmudge Duke on a Duke board. Just when i think I have seen it all, I get wheated!

Consider yourself lucky you didn't get whole wheated!

gus
10-26-2017, 09:42 AM

When you do refer to that institution, I think you should drop the "U" part. They clearly have.

rsvman
10-26-2017, 09:46 AM
On the one hand, I think wheat has a point that the insinuations in that article are beyond the pale.

On the other hand, I think weezie has a good point, too.

BandAlum83
10-26-2017, 09:47 AM
Consider yourself lucky you didn't get whole wheated!

Gluten free wheated is the worst!

CameronBlue
10-26-2017, 09:51 AM
This is one very well written post. I can't imagine you were in the engineering school ;)

For a while I was going to major in Greek literature. I had just seen The Graduate at a time when I was drifting a bit and when I heard that line "The future is plastics" everything suddenly became clear. I thought he said "Classics"!

devildeac
10-26-2017, 10:10 AM
While it was awesome to see a thread about UNC take an unexpected detour into education, I'm afraid the news must intervene.

CHAPEL HILL, NC -- Joel Berry II, the senior point guard for the North Carolina Tar Heels who was named Most Outstanding Player of the 2017 NCAA Tournament, is expected to miss four weeks after breaking his hand last week in a video game-related injury. Berry was playing NBA 2K18 with teammate Theo Pinson and a team manager when the incident happened. But while other news agencies have reported that Berry's injury resulted from hitting a door in frustration after losing a game, inside sources are now saying that this was not the case.

"Actually, he won the game," said Pinson, the senior shooting guard for the Heels. "I was the Lakers and he was the Clippers. But NBA 2K18 lets you step into the role of specific players after the game, and Joel chose to be Blake Griffin. Once our team manager entered the room, Joel went into full Blake Griffin mode and hit him in the face."

Coach Roy Williams was unfazed by the change in circumstances. "Whatever happened don't matter. People hit each other in the face all the dadgum time. I hit [NCAA President] Mark Emmert in the face after Villanova beat us in 2016, and he made sure he bought off enough NCAA officials to give us those wins against Arkansas, Kentucky, Oregon, and Gonzaga in the tournament last season. And then, when we had to go answer questions for that ridiculous academic scandal, I hit Mark in the face again for good measure."

"You know, it's funny," Williams continued. "Joel broke his right hand, which is the same hand Kennedy Meeks clearly stuck out of bounds near the end of that Gonzaga game. Right in front of the official, and no call. It's almost like karma or something. Steal a banner, break a hand. I'll take that deal every day of the week and twice on Sundays, that's for friggin' sure."

North Carolina has not released the name of the team manager Berry struck in the face. He is still in the hospital and could not be reached for comment. He did issue a brief statement before being placed in an ambulance. "Ouch," he said.

Classic stuff. Are you FITS re-incarnated? ;)

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 10:46 AM
Sorry, I don't buy it. Either you were looking for a measure of payback for the closed thread or you didn't read MY post. Innuendo ain't a pretty look, no question, and I don't have a problem with it being called out. It should be called out. But YOU felt victimized, you stated it e-x-p-l-i-c-i-t-l-y. It calls into question your true intent, at minimum you charted the way for the thread hijack.

I'm not sure how you ever got that I felt victimized...the comment about sporks was in direct reply to Mtn.Dev.'s comment.

Skitzle
10-26-2017, 10:50 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JieHmC9DH8

This is my favorite UNC video. Makes me smile every time.

ricks68
10-26-2017, 11:26 AM
Gluten free wheated is the worst!

Please don't besmirch us Ashevillians, now.😜

ricks

cato
10-26-2017, 11:42 AM

I wish. Actually, I wish people would ignore UNC posters who revel in what should be a disgrace, but I have no control over that.

PackMan97
10-26-2017, 11:51 AM

with all due respect, UNC is not a topic of respectful discussion. UNC is the dirtistest ATHLETIC PROGRAM in the NCAA. This is not a matter of "petty stuff of a rivalry". UNC endorses cheating, lying and all adults in charge over there have a complete lack of integrity and honor.

It does not surprise me that some would question the anger management skills of a young adult who would punch a door so hard they break their hand. Just as with college kids who make mistakes with alcohol or drugs, these problems have a nasty habit of continuing to surface throughout their life (ask State's Anthony Grundy or the too many to count other examples history provides). I hope Berry gets some help so that he doesn't have his own washed out N&O story in 15 years.

luburch
10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
Once had a good friend break his hand when he jokingly punched me on the top of my shoulder after losing a video game. We were in 8th grade...

PackMan97
10-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Is greasemonkey still a thing? It shouldn't be too hard to make a script to hide posts with certain keywords, or posters. Only problem is you'd have to do it for each message board format.

ChillinDuke
10-26-2017, 01:22 PM
As much as I think Joel Berry is a total idiot for punching a door as a result of a video game loss, I think people are too quick to forget we have our own beloved player who has displayed his own poor decision making at times.

One was on the court. One wasn't. They both strike me as idiotic incidents.

And yet, they are both probably great kids.

- Chillin

trinity92
10-26-2017, 01:33 PM
Wheat should exile himself from this board for as long as it takes him to find the following on any unc board:

1. Find one post about Grayson Allen, a college basketball player who, in the throes of competition, did something he oughtn't have, that is kinder than the Berry article for which you're seeking apology; and
2. Find a single thread mentioning Jay Williams in any context whatsoever that doesn't make fun of his career ending motorcycle accident.

That would be the last we ever saw of him.

Wanker off, dear Wheat. Wanker off.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Wheat should exile himself from this board for as long as it takes him to find the following on any unc board:

1. Find one post about Grayson Allen, a college basketball player who, in the throes of competition, did something he oughtn't have, that is kinder than the Berry article for which you're seeking apology; and
2. Find a single thread mentioning Jay Williams in any context whatsoever that doesn't make fun of his career ending motorcycle accident.

That would be the last we ever saw of him.

Wanker off, dear Wheat. Wanker off.

I rarely post on any other boards, not enough time. And I am not here to defend any other fans posts but my own.

You'll never find one from me making fun of J-Will's accident, that was a horrible situation for him. Same with Bobby Hurley, both accidents were terrible for those two and deprived basketball fans of seeing them showcase their talents in the NBA.

If you take the time to look back, you'll see that I defended Grayson for the longest time, until that second incident... he deserved some criticism. Even then, and now, it really wasn't that big of a deal, and if he has learned from those minor mistakes, and nothing else happens like that, I'd never bring it up again. It was I think it was all overblown.

Just play ball...that's my thing. We win or lose on the court, not arguing over who wet in whose cornflakes or who's fan base can be the biggest wankers, to use your thinly veiled profanity towards me.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-26-2017, 04:22 PM
I rarely post on any other boards, not enough time. And I am not here to defend any other fans posts but my own.

You'll never find one from me making fun of J-Will's accident, that was a horrible situation for him. Same with Bobby Hurley, both accidents were terrible for those two and deprived basketball fans of seeing them showcase their talents in the NBA.

If you take the time to look back, you'll see that I defended Grayson for the longest time, until that second incident... he deserved some criticism. Even then, and now, it really wasn't that big of a deal, and if he has learned from those minor mistakes, and nothing else happens like that, I'd never bring it up again. It was I think it was all overblown.

Just play ball...that's my thing. We win or lose on the court, not arguing over who wet in who's cornflakes or who's fan base can be the biggest wankers, to use your thinly veiled profanity towards me.

Whose. Welcome to DBR.

Wheat/"/"/"
10-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Whose. Welcome to DBR.

I hate it when that happens...makes me feel like a State fan:)

CameronBlue
10-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Whose. Welcome to DBR.

Now help me sort out the whoever whomever thing. Yeah I get that one's an object the other is a subject. Well I guess it helps that I'm not an Eskimo. There's snow and there's yellow snow. That's all I need to know.

miramar
10-26-2017, 04:48 PM
John Smith broke his hand punching a basket support so we have also gone down this road.

In the NCAA tournament no less. While celebrating.

I think the next game was against Temple, but fortunately I don't think that Billy King needed his help to stop Mark Macon.

UrinalCake
10-26-2017, 05:26 PM
Wasn't there a pro football player who head butted the goalposts after scoring a touchdown and gave himself a concussion?

rasputin
10-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Wasn't there a pro football player who head butted the goalposts after scoring a touchdown and gave himself a concussion?

Gus Frerotte injured his neck head-butting the padded wall behind the end zone after a TD.

BD80
10-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Gus Frerotte injured his neck head-butting the padded wall behind the end zone after a TD.

Very thinly padded wall

Classic.

Wonder if someone will reenact that episode in the wave of new freedom of expression celebrations?

PDDuke85
10-26-2017, 05:44 PM
Very thinly padded wall

Classic.

Wonder if someone will reenact that episode in the wave of new freedom of expression celebrations?

and then there's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s

Duke95
10-26-2017, 09:32 PM

Academic jokes against another school coming from UNC fans...pure irony right there.

davekay1971
10-26-2017, 09:40 PM

My mom is a product of NC State. She had actual classes which met and required actual work. Which means she received better a better education from State than many a "graduate" of "U"NC received from "U"NC.

Tell you what. Start making NCSU education jokes when NCSU gets a one year probation from SACS.

PackMan97
10-26-2017, 09:41 PM
Just play ball...that's my thing. We win or lose on the court, not arguing over who wet in whose cornflakes

It doesn't work that way. Your "thing" is dishonest, lacking of integrity and pretty much a bad all around idea. What you are saying is you don't care if your school hires prosititues to entice recruits, as long as they win on the court. You don't care if your school pays players in new cars as long as they win on the court. You don't care if your school takes kids who can't read, but enrolls them in fake courses and hands them a fraudulent degree, as long as they win on the court. You don't care if your school lacks integrity and honor, as long as they win on the court.

Your "thing" makes me deeply saddened that the mods on DBR has allowed you a safe space where you can do your "thing" without having to be reminded of what your school and it's fans have become.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Just play ball...that's my thing.
No, that’s uNcheat’s thing. Just play ball. Or is it... ONLY play ball?

CameronBlue
10-26-2017, 10:31 PM
No, that’s uNcheat’s thing. Just play ball. Or is it... ONLY play ball?

I swear to God somebody needs a cut man.

Doria
10-27-2017, 10:48 AM

And yet, you missed the very next “whose,” too. In the same sentence... ;)

ETA: Message brought to you courtesy of my mother who taught English to NCSU students and to me.