PDA

View Full Version : Is college basketball finally getting true parity?

Bluedawg
10-21-2007, 10:15 AM
University of North Carolina and Duke University basketball fans are not used to their favorites being told "no" by recruits, but it happened a couple of times last week.
Greg Monroe, a 6-foot-10 center at Harvey (La.) Cox, and the top-ranked player in the class of 2008, chose Georgetown over Duke.

On Thursday, Iman Shumpert, a 6-4 shooting guard in Oak Park, Ill., chose Georgia Tech over Marquette and UNC.

"This has been a very uncharacteristic year for UNC and Duke," said recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons of All-Star Sports. "Rarely will you see this many players turn down what are two of the elite programs in college basketball. They just aren't used to being told 'no.' " [source (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/744287.html)

Could it be that the "powers" in college BB getting balanced to the point that there are others for the top players to chose from? I saw an article, and now I can't recall where, that had a draft analysts say that Duke’s problem is that they have so many NBA quality players that some feel they may not stand out enough.

lavell12
10-21-2007, 10:52 AM
i think its b/c the top notch HS kids have to go to college so they go somewhere they can get minutes for one year and be the guy there so they can go pro after their frosh year. also more black coaches may be a factor.

YmoBeThere
10-21-2007, 12:20 PM
I would contend that the same thing is going on in college football and all manner of athletic endeavor. Stephen Jay Gould discussed this phenomen in his book: Full House: The Spread of Excellence from Plato to Darwin .