PDA

View Full Version : Duke again starts season at No. 1 in USA TODAY/Coaches Poll

atoomer0881
10-19-2017, 01:18 PM
The USA TODAY/Coaches Poll (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/10/19/duke-starts-season-no-1-college-mens-basketball-coaches-poll/779301001/) came out today with their preseason Top 25. Duke starts the season at No. 1 for the second consecutive year. Let's hope for a better turnout this year than last please (fingers crossed).

Here's a list of the entire Top 25 (http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/basketball-men/polls/coaches-poll/2017/1/). Some notable omissions: UVA, Butler, and Wisconsin. Great job to Chris Collins' Northwestern squad for coming in at No. 20!

Cannot wait for this season to start!!! LGD!!!

Troublemaker
10-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Interesting that Arizona is ranked #5 with only two first-place votes. Do Sean Miller's fellow coaches believe that the FBI investigation will be a major distraction for him and his team? Because, absent distractions, a good case could be made that they should be #1. I have it as 1) Duke, 2) Zona, 3)MSU personally.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-19-2017, 02:05 PM
Louisville at #16? Interesting.

flyingdutchdevil
10-19-2017, 02:06 PM
Louisville at #16? Interesting.

That's also the number of times Pitino has said, "I had no idea this was going on" to the media over the last ~5 years.

PackMan97
10-19-2017, 02:08 PM
A bit disappointed that the coaches didn't punish UNC and just leave them off their ballot. I would have.

atoomer0881
10-19-2017, 02:13 PM
That's also the number of times Pitino has said, "I had no idea this was going on" to the media over the last ~5 years.

"You must spread some Comments around before commenting on flyingdutchdevil again."

Hahahah this was perfect.

duketaylor
10-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Last year we had some speculation here of running the table. Please let's not have any of that this year. Please. We are so young that there are bound to be some bumps along the way; let's just enjoy this ride (injury bug avoid us)!!

moonpie23
10-19-2017, 09:03 PM
personally, i'd just rather be around 5-8 to start....

duke4ever19
10-19-2017, 09:56 PM
Last year we had some speculation here of running the table. Please let's not have any of that this year. Please. We are so young that there are bound to be some bumps along the way; let's just enjoy this ride (injury bug avoid us)!!

As Pascal said, "The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing."

Unless you are a genuinely superstitious person and think that somehow, someway, someone's prognostication about this team's final record on this fan forum will somehow jinx the team, then why not just let people enjoy predicting and hoping for whatever final record they desire, even if it be no losses, or 1 loss or 10 losses?

People that rank high on agreeableness and openness tend to entertain optimistic ideas like this. It's a definite type of person. These folks can tell themselves the most reasonable scenarios for Duke's season as possible, but they will still feel gut-punched the moment that first loss comes.

I suppose you can request that people not communicate those feelings on this board, but it won't stop a decent sized portion of fans from hoping for a historic undefeated season, however unreasonable everyone else claims it is. They could even log in and talk about how they saw it coming or predicted 5-6 losses by the ACC Tournament, but they will feel how they really feel, they just won't be honest with us about it.

Wander
10-19-2017, 10:39 PM
A bit disappointed that the coaches didn't punish UNC and just leave them off their ballot. I would have.

Thought this was crazy at first, but someone did leave off (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/why-one-coaches-poll-voter-left-the-schools-involved-in-the-bribery-scandal-off-his-ballot/) all the Adidas scandal schools on principle.

UrinalCake
10-19-2017, 10:53 PM
Interesting that Arizona is ranked #5 with only two first-place votes. Do Sean Miller's fellow coaches believe that the FBI investigation will be a major distraction for him and his team? Because, absent distractions, a good case could be made that they should be #1. I have it as 1) Duke, 2) Zona, 3)MSU personally.

I'm not sure why they would drop so far either, other than the supposition that some players and/or coaches will eventually be suspended. I still consider them the #1 team, they are much more experienced than us and I think Ayton could be as good as Bagley.

JasonEvans
10-20-2017, 03:20 PM
Thought this was crazy at first, but someone did leave off (https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/why-one-coaches-poll-voter-left-the-schools-involved-in-the-bribery-scandal-off-his-ballot/) all the Adidas scandal schools on principle.

And he still voted for UNC?!?! Some principles...

arnie
10-20-2017, 07:09 PM
And he still voted for UNC?!?! Some principles...

Roy have a vote?

Lauderdevil
10-20-2017, 08:48 PM
Champions Classic ought to be a good one.

No. 1 vs. No. 2
No. 3 vs. No. 4

Might have to buy a ticket to Chicago.

JasonEvans
10-20-2017, 09:45 PM

No. 1 vs. No. 2
No. 3 vs. No. 4

There is a reason these 4 teams are the teams in the Champions Classic every year. They are consistently the best 4 programs in college hoops (though I think you could argue for Az over MSU... maybe).

Wander
10-21-2017, 12:01 AM
They are consistently the best 4 programs in college hoops (though I think you could argue for Az over MSU... maybe).

MSU and AZ basically have the reverse weighting of regular season vs. NCAA tournament success. So, depends what you value.

DevilFalcon
10-21-2017, 12:12 AM
Wire-to-wire number 1. You heard it here. I'm not saying we will go undefeated, but I don't think we lose very many games.
Caveat: we stay healthy.

DevilFalcon
10-21-2017, 12:14 AM

Last year had we not had more injuries than a hospital, we might have...

curtis325
10-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Undefeated so far. Tied with everyone else.

El_Diablo
10-27-2017, 06:19 PM

No. 1 vs. No. 2
No. 3 vs. No. 4

Nice...although someone could screw it up beforehand (cough cough MSU in 2010).

slower
10-28-2017, 03:39 PM
Nice...although someone could screw it up beforehand (cough cough MSU in 2010).

Possible, though not probable.

pfrduke
11-02-2017, 01:11 PM
Preseason poll in map form (the only difference between coaches and AP in terms of who is in the top 25 is Alabama vs. Texas A&M):

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4489/26340091979_b44aff1bdb.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/G8zRET)Preseason (USA Today) (https://flic.kr/p/G8zRET)