PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 10-17-17

jimsumner
10-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Some good news on the injury front. Gabe Brandner has practiced this week, albeit “limited” practice. But he could play Saturday.

Duke expects a very physical game. Pitt known for its smash-mouth tendencies. Point of emphasis in practice this week.

Duke still working on its punt return game. David Cutcliffe says T.J. Rahming should be a great returner. “I can’t explain it,” Cut said. “I don’t know where we are.” Keyston Fuller and Jeremy McDuffie have gotten work this week. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change.

Austin Parker had a great day punting against FSU, four punts inside the 20, three inside the 10, no touchbacks. Cut said that kind of punting usually leads to a victory but Duke didn’t take advantage of good field position . With Pitt’s always dangerous Quadree Henderson returning punts, Parker’s ability to put punts where he wants to could be a big deal Saturday.

Cut says Duke has changed how it is practicing with Parker. More emphasis on quality than quantity, trying to keep Parker fresh and focused for place-kicking and punting.

Duke used a lot of two-tight-end sets against FSU, some five-wide-receivers, two running-backs. Cut says Duke will continue to use different personnel groupings in an effort to best utilize its players.

Davis Koppenhaver was one of those two tight ends. He says he’s very comfortable lining up in the backfield. “As our offense grows, we’re going to be more multiple, keeping the defense on their toes and trying to find matchups to exploit.”

Daniel Jones was sacked only once last week and generally had more time to find receivers.

Guard Zach Harmon discussed that improvement.

“That was a big confidence booster for us. We knew from the get-go that Florida State has one of the best fronts we’ll play. Being able to protect Daniel better than in week’s past against a great defense was a huge confidence boost and I think we’re going to use that next week. . . . It comes to a point where seeing your quarterback on the ground is a shot to the stomach, knowing it’s your fault. Sometimes it’s not but sometimes it is. You’ve got to buck up and say it’s not going to happen anymore.”

Cutcliffe added that “some alarms” were sounded by the coaches regarding pass blocking. Duke worked hard on pass blocking today, especially picking up blitzes and stunts.

Feel like football? Harmon is from Ohio and says it does to him.

“It was 45 today, with a breeze and I saw a lot of guys with leggings on and I’m showing my belly and I love it. I practice so much better when it’s cold. I have so much more gas in the tank when I’m not hot and sweaty and that motivates me, seeing the leaves fall and the cold in the air and that’s how I know it’s football weather.”

Mark Gilbert has four interceptions this season. He says they are “a boost for the whole team. Getting a stop like that and getting off the field is a big boost.”

Gilbert said looking at film of Pitt’s 56-14 win last season was “tough” but “it’s not the same offense, we’re not the same defense. We definitely feel like we owe them one.”

Duke should see two Pitt QBs this week, veteran Ben DiNucci or freshman Kenny Pickett. Gilbert says Duke isn’t preparing any differently for the duo.

Cutcliffe agrees but adds that Pickett is the better runner.

Gilbert adds that keeping track of Jordan Whitehead is crucial. Whitehead is a safety who plays some offense and he’s averaging over eight yards per carry. Pitt has lots of ways to get the ball to Whitehead and Henderson, end-arounds, reverses, bubble screens. Discipline big here.

End Tre Hornbuckle calls it “doing my 1/11 of the defense and letting everyone else do their 1/11th.

Duke still looking for more from its wide receivers. Duke ran lots of 1 v. 1 drills today, putting the ball on the six, wide receiver versus defensive back, see who gets the ball. The words "more intense" were used.

Cut had nice things to say about Steve Spurrier, who’s being honored this weekend. Cut’s brother Page played with Spurrier at Florida; defensive tackle.
Cut recalls the mutual taunting from his days at Tennessee, when Spurrier was at Florida. His favorite? “You can’t spell Citrus without UT.”

OldPhiKap
10-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Thanks as always, Jim.

Gotta get this one. LGD!!!

Bob Green
10-18-2017, 07:10 AM
Duke still working on its punt return game. David Cutcliffe says T.J. Rahming should be a great returner. “I can’t explain it,” Cut said. “I don’t know where we are.” Keyston Fuller and Jeremy McDuffie have gotten work this week. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a change.

Thanks, Jim!

It is a positive to hear Duke continues to look for answers with the punt return game.

OZ
10-19-2017, 12:03 PM
“I can’t explain it,” Cut said. “I don’t know where we are.”

If I were the head coach, I'm not sure I would have admitted that. After seven games, I hope I would have some idea.

“As our offense grows, we’re going to be more multiple, keeping the defense on their toes and trying to find matchups to exploit.”

Again, after seven games, I would hope this were true. However, I am not sure I have seen "offensive growth" over the past three weeks.

devildeac
10-19-2017, 12:04 PM
Injury report today?

budwom
10-19-2017, 12:38 PM
After this year's offensive trending, I wonder if significant changes will be made after this season.
I just want to get to six wins and a bowl...was never on board with those who expected nine wins...Pitt game is obviously
crucial. Army and Pitt are our best two chances at wins...other games are winnable (GT, Wake, VT) but won't be easy.

chrishoke
10-19-2017, 02:52 PM

DU82
10-20-2017, 03:09 PM

Fight, fight, Black Devils, fight for Duke and the Black and White! :(