PDA

View Full Version : Army Basketball 2018

MarkD83
10-14-2017, 10:31 AM
Mark your calendars now....CBS will televise both Army Navy basketball games. What a great pair of games to watch to support the true meaning of college sports.

Men's Basketball | September 19, 2017 |

CBS Sports Set To Carry Army-Navy Basketball

Bookmark and Share

CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – The two Army West Point men's basketball games against rival Navy were selected to be broadcast live on CBS Sports Network.

One of the most storied rivalries in all of sports will be televised to a national audience on Jan. 14 and Feb. 10 when the Black Knights and Midshipmen square off during the Patriot League schedule. The first meeting is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall in Annapolis, Md., followed by a 1:30 p.m. tip on Feb. 10 in Christl Arena. The later will also represent the team's annual "star" meeting.

MarkD83
10-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Bob Knight
Coach K
Pete Gaudet...

In between Knight and Coach K was Dan Dougherty who I believe also coached Gerald Henderson in high school......

mattman91
10-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Go Navy!

davekay1971
10-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Go Navy!

Yep! I love Coach K, but I love my Dad more! US Naval Academy Class of 47. Go Midshipmen!

MarkD83
10-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Ok I have made no permanent decision yet. The two games I highlighted are army navy games

mattman91
10-14-2017, 11:41 AM
Yep! I love Coach K, but I love my Dad more! US Naval Academy Class of 47. Go Midshipmen!

My dad is a Navy vet and my brother is a Marine. We are planning to go to the football game next year.

Go Midshipmen!

jv001
10-14-2017, 09:11 PM
I have to root for Army. SP/4 rank with 25th Infantry Division and stationed in Honolulu(great) and Vietnam(not so great). GoDuke and GoArmy!

Bob Green
10-14-2017, 09:19 PM
Go Navy!

Go Navy! Beat Army!

UrinalCake
10-14-2017, 09:25 PM
I can't wait until the NCAA finds a way to declare a member of one of the service academies ineligible, for some ridiculous reason like he ate a granola bar with nuts instead of one with chocolate chips. It's about the only thing left that they can do to embarrass themselves.

Bob Green
10-14-2017, 09:29 PM
I can't wait until the NCAA finds a way to declare a member of one of the service academies ineligible, for some ridiculous reason like he ate a granola bar with nuts instead of one with chocolate chips. It's about the only thing left that they can do to embarrass themselves.

A better objective would be finding a way for all institutions to conduct business with equal integrity of the service academies.

DU82
10-14-2017, 10:13 PM

I’m surprised that the NCAA has ignored the continuing practice of the service academies paying athletes to play.

msdukie
10-15-2017, 05:47 PM
CBS SN not broadcast CBS. Both schools have a contract with CBS SN which I believe always carries these games.

Mark your calendars now...CBS will televise both Army Navy basketball games. What a great pair of games to watch to support the true meaning of college sports.

Men's Basketball | September 19, 2017 |

CBS Sports Set To Carry Army-Navy Basketball

Bookmark and Share

CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – The two Army West Point men's basketball games against rival Navy were selected to be broadcast live on CBS Sports Network.

One of the most storied rivalries in all of sports will be televised to a national audience on Jan. 14 and Feb. 10 when the Black Knights and Midshipmen square off during the Patriot League schedule. The first meeting is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. in Alumni Hall in Annapolis, Md., followed by a 1:30 p.m. tip on Feb. 10 in Christl Arena. The later will also represent the team's annual "star" meeting.

MarkD83
10-15-2017, 07:15 PM
CBS SN not broadcast CBS. Both schools have a contract with CBS SN which I believe always carries these games.

Thanks for the correction.

MarkD83
10-15-2017, 07:18 PM
It seems like folks want this to be an Army and Navy thread, so mods if you want to change the title that would be great.

Here is the 2017-18 Army schedule. They start on Nov 10 and play Wake on Dec. 8.

http://www.goarmywestpoint.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

and here is Navy's schedule. The also start on Nov. 10 vs Pitt and then play Miami on Nov. 12.

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/navy-m-baskbl-sched.html

DukieInKansas
10-15-2017, 11:02 PM
Will root for Army when they aren't playing Navy. Father served (fortunately as WWII ended), brother served, and nephew is currently serving - so Navy all the way.

Going to the Army Navy football game is on my bucket list. (No pressure - but told Nephew Sam that he needs to make CNO so I can go in style.)

-bdbd
10-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Don't forget that Duke BB does have a very famous Navy connection too. The father of a current Duke player, David Robinson is easily the best player in Navy history (and who lost to Duke in the NCAAT). Wasn't Robinson, as a player, at San Antonio at the same time as our Danny Ferry too??

Grew up as a Navy brat my entire childhood - lived in 20+ places over 18 years - as my dad was an USNA grad (same class as John McCain). I also applied/got in, and seriously thought about going myself, but decided on Duke and NROTC there. Then did 5 years in US Navy myself.

Thanks to their grandfather, my kids still think the last two words of the Lord's Prayer are "Beat Army!!" ;)

MarkD83
10-18-2017, 12:15 PM
The Army Navy football game is at 3:30pm on 12/9 at Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. Mark your calendars!!

Navy is currently 5-1 and is looking good to be bowl eligible.

Army is 5-2 and is also looking good to be bowl eligible.

wobatus
10-18-2017, 05:32 PM
Don't forget that Duke BB does have a very famous Navy connection too. The father of a current Duke player, David Robinson is easily the best player in Navy history (and who lost to Duke in the NCAAT). Wasn't Robinson, as a player, at San Antonio at the same time as our Danny Ferry too??

Grew up as a Navy brat my entire childhood - lived in 20+ places over 18 years - as my dad was an USNA grad (same class as John McCain). I also applied/got in, and seriously thought about going myself, but decided on Duke and NROTC there. Then did 5 years in US Navy myself.

Thanks to their grandfather, my kids still think the last two words of the Lord's Prayer are "Beat Army!!" ;)

Another ACC-Navy connection is Ben Carnevale. Ben played for the 1934 NYU national champs. In the Navy he was a flight instructor in Chapel Hill during WWII (where he may have trained my 1st cousin, twice removed, Lt. James Alvis May, who went down in the North Atlantic during the war). In 1944 he took over as basketball coach and the team went 22-6 and won the Southern Conference title. The next year, with Hook Dillon and Bones McKinney they went 30-5 (including a loss to Duke) and went to the NCAA finals, losing to Hank Iba's Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma St.).

He then went on to coach Navy for 20 years and became AD at William & Mary.

When Frank McGuire needed a new assistant (because the won he had feared flying, a problem in recruiting), Ben said Bob Spear, his old Navy assistant, was head coach at Air Force and had a fine assistant. Dean Smith. (perhaps apocryphal; I also heard Dean met Frank during the 1957 Final 4).

Ben Carnevale coached Navy to the 1954 Elite 8 and 1959 Sweet 16 (despite the at the time 6'5" height limitation). In the 1959 first round they beat 5th ranked UNC. My father, UNC '56, remembers going to that game with my Uncle (at the time a navy officer) and watching UNC get beat by what he called "a runty Navy team".

Carnevale was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 1970 and the College Hall of Fame in 2006. He died in 2008.

He was 5-0 against UNC as a coach and player.

Here he is still in his Navy uniform accepting the runner-up NCAA Tournament trophy at Madison Square Garden in 1946 (with a quite taciturn Bones McKinney):

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/P081_NTBS3_005389.jpg

That's picture from a good article on Bones (who took Wake to the 1962 Final 4, where they beat UCLA in the 3rd place game, 2 years before they started their run):

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2013/03/player-preacher-coach-and-commentator/

MarkD83
11-04-2017, 04:39 AM
Army vs Air Force in football. Part of the commander and chief's "tournament".

Reilly
11-04-2017, 07:25 AM
Mark Alarie and Greg Paulus were both Navy assistant coaches. Army standout Chris Spatola has his Duke hoops ties.

Reilly
11-04-2017, 07:38 AM
Another ACC-Navy connection is Ben Carnevale. Ben played for the 1934 NYU national champs. In the Navy he was a flight instructor in Chapel Hill during WWII (where he may have trained my 1st cousin, twice removed, Lt. James Alvis May, who went down in the North Atlantic during the war). In 1944 he took over as basketball coach and the team went 22-6 and won the Southern Conference title. The next year, with Hook Dillon and Bones McKinney they went 30-5 (including a loss to Duke) and went to the NCAA finals, losing to Hank Iba's Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma St.).

When Frank McGuire needed a new assistant (because the won he had feared flying, a problem in recruiting), Ben said Bob Spear, his old Navy assistant, was head coach at Air Force and had a fine assistant. Dean Smith. (perhaps apocryphal; I also heard Dean met Frank during the 1957 Final 4).

Ben Carnevale coached Navy to the 1954 Elite 8 and 1959 Sweet 16 (despite the at the time 6'5" height limitation). In the 1959 first round they beat 5th ranked UNC. My father, UNC '56, remembers going to that game with my Uncle (at the time a navy officer) and watching UNC get beat by what he called "a runty Navy team".

Carnevale was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 1970 and the College Hall of Fame in 2006. He died in 2008.

Here he is still in his Navy uniform accepting the runner-up NCAA Tournament trophy at Madison Square Garden in 1946 (with a quite taciturn Bones McKinney):

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/P081_NTBS3_005389.jpg

That's picture from a good article on Bones (who took Wake to the 1962 Final 4, where they beat UCLA in the 3rd place game, 2 years before they started their run):

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/index.php/2013/03/player-preacher-coach-and-commentator/

Thanks for the links - v. interesting. So Bones graduated from high school at the Hanstravel-esque age of 21.

MarkD83
11-05-2017, 05:33 AM
Army beat Air Force in football 21 0. Next up Duke

Olympic Fan
11-05-2017, 01:59 PM

Just a couple of additions/clarifications:

-- McGuire and Smith definitely met and interacted during the 1957 Final Four -- but it was because of Spear -- Spear and McGuire shared a hotel room in Kansas City and Smith slept on the couch. After UNC won the title, beating Kansas in 3OT, McGuire asked Smith the arrange a postgame dinner/celebration for the coaches and the North Carolina media.

-- Carnevale handed McGuire one of his most bitter losses. In 1959, Smith lost a very controversial ACC title to NC State ... It was controversial because State was on probation and going into the game, McGuire knew that he didn't need to win to get the ACC's only NCAA bid. He talked about resting his team and throwing the game. In the end, he started his starters, but he subbed more than normal and he pulled his stars late and let State pull away. Resting his stars didn't help -- UNC opened the NCAA Tournament with a 76-63 loss to Carnevale's Navy team.

-- Duke beat that same Navy team in 1959 -- 64-63 in one of the great comebacks in Duke history.In fact, Duke OWNED Carnevale's Navy teams -- at the same time UNC was 0-5 against him, Duke went 19-3 against Carnevale and Navy.

-- That 1946 NCAA trip for Carnevale's UNC team was a joke. The team teams split during the regular season (each winning on the other's home floor). No regular season crown for either -- the league was too big to play a balanced schedule, but Duke won the Southern Conference title (UNC lost to Wake in the semifinals). Duke should have gotten the bid -- but the head of the selection committee was the AD at Davidson, who just happened to be a former UNC basketball player.