PDA

View Full Version : Quick Poll - Predict the NCAA Sanctions for UNC

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2017, 04:06 PM
20 hours til the bell tolls for UNC. Let's play the prediction game.

duke4ever19
10-12-2017, 04:12 PM
They skate like Brian Boitano at the '88 Winter Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=yVIa0Nux-p4

BLPOG
10-12-2017, 04:13 PM
The NCAA burns UNC athletics to the ground, some DBR member placated, the rest still not pleased

That is a well-phrased option.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
MBB -- vacate wins where an ineligible player participated (including post-season), although there will not be as many identified players as there should be. 2 year post-season ban. Loss of two scholarships for three years. Roy suspended for 10 games.
FB -- vacate wins where an ineligible player participated, loss of some scholarships although calculated to be less of an impact than for MBB. No bowl this year. No suspension for the Hat.
Others -- some form of the above. WBB, WSoc take biggest hits.

University -- 5 year probation, $475k fine, for lack of institutional control.

ETA: chose the third option although whether banners come down or not depends on evidence of specific players involved.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2017, 04:16 PM
That is a well-phrased option.

I do what I can with what I have. Thank you.

DukeFanSince1990
10-12-2017, 04:33 PM
They skate like Brian Boitano at the '88 Winter Olympics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=65&v=yVIa0Nux-p4

Cos that's what Brian Boitano dooooo

swood1000
10-12-2017, 04:51 PM
https://images.mysecuritysign.com/img/lg/K/No-Skate-Boarding-symbol-Sign-K-7315.gif

flyingdutchdevil
10-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Tomorrow, EVERYONE on DBR will have their own version of, "the NCAA is the most incompetent organization in the world".

UNC skates. No doubt in my mind.

Lunchab1es
10-12-2017, 05:00 PM
Women's Basketball bears the brunt of the punishment, allowing them to say "UNC was punished" without tarnishing their prized Men's programs. Option 2ish.

elvis14
10-12-2017, 05:07 PM
We need 2 polls: What we think will happen, What should happen

I voted on the former, this poll. I think UNCheat gets lightly punished and men's hoops is spared. We lose our minds.

What I want to happen depends on the day and how much I've lost my mind:

Logical day: Look at transcripts. Every player that was kept eligible by bogus classes is declared ineligible. Every game in very sport played by an ineligible athlete is vacated/forfeited, etc. Loss of scholarships for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). Post season bans (multiple years) for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). UNCheat has to pay back any $$ received for making illegitimate post season appearances.
(Note that even this is soft because it doesn't include players that were barely eligible without the fake classes but would have likely not been eligible had they take one more real class).

Illogical day: Burn the place, salt the ground, have the state legislature Ban that ugly light blue color

BLPOG
10-12-2017, 05:14 PM

I voted on the former, this poll. I think UNCheat gets lightly punished and men's hoops is spared. We lose our minds.

What I want to happen depends on the day and how much I've lost my mind:

Logical day: Look at transcripts. Every player that was kept eligible by bogus classes is declared ineligible. Every game in very sport played by an ineligible athlete is vacated/forfeited, etc. Loss of scholarships for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). Post season bans (multiple years) for Men's basketball and Football (any other sport is gravy, mostly hit them in the $$). UNCheat has to pay back any $$ received for making illegitimate post season appearances.
(Note that even this is soft because it doesn't include players that were barely eligible without the fake classes but would have likely not been eligible had they take one more real class).

Illogical day: Burn the place, salt the ground, have the state legislature Ban that ugly light blue color

I say vacate all wins and records by teams with ineligible athletes (not punitive, just correcting the record), 22 year death penalty across all UNC athletics, and a $500 million dollar fine.

Honestly, if you look at the size of the offense compared to standard punishments handed down for lesser infractions, it's really not an outrageous penalty. If they were punished proportionately they'd be on probation well into the next millennium.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2017, 05:15 PM

I like that, but polls are limited to 14 options and 100 characters...

Bob Green
10-12-2017, 05:23 PM
NCAA is going to take one timeout per game away from Roy. :p

swood1000
10-12-2017, 05:32 PM
In my mind it will be a travesty unless we have a scene somewhat resembling this one over at Chapel Hill, with Roy Williams being one of the principals.

http://multimedia.scmp.com/cultural-revolution/images/article/225hei-bang-fen-zi-wang-yilun.jpg

OldPhiKap
10-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Boy, the crowd is pessimistic here at the end.

Brain: NCAA has to hammer for its own existence to matter.

Heart: bastards get away with it.

So I've taken the middle road.

duke4ever19
10-12-2017, 05:50 PM

Roy's got an outstanding collection of aged timeouts of the finest vintage in his cellar. I hear they date all the way back to his days at Kansas.

The NCAA needs to start with the timeouts he has in reserve.

Tripping William
10-12-2017, 05:54 PM
I completely gave up on polls late in the evening of November 8, 2016.

devildeac
10-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Wildest dream scenario: Three to five year death penalty for all sports involved (no schollies, no games). $100M fine for the "institution." (I know, it'll never happen.)

Harsh/deserved: (trying to go by the "book" and base this on penalty charts that were posted here several years ago which, of course, I can't recall) Vacate all wins/banners using ineligible players from 2002-2011-all sports. 5 years probation and 3 years tournament bans-all sports. 50% reduction scholarships and recruiting visits/contacts for 3 years-all sports-make their coaches/teams play with mostly "JV" players. Suspend baseball and women's soccer coaches for 1 year; ol roy 2 years and Sylvia 3 years; make the Hat coach a team with 50% less schollies as I think he's doing a fine job now (;)) but is still a smug, lying SOB. $10M+ institutional fine. Return all NCAA revenue from the 9 year period.

Reality: half (or less) of what I proposed above because of sentences they've meted out against Minnesota (?), miami, USC, f$u and Syracuse in the recent past to be somewhat consistent. If they don't, they lose all (?) credibility and may as well cease to exist or, if they continue to exist, freely admit it's now open season for rampant academic and athletic cheating.

cato
10-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Tomorrow, EVERYONE on DBR will have their own version of, "the NCAA is the most incompetent organization in the world".

Yeah, well. Who would have thought we would both be trying in vain to find some other team to root for in Russia?

Tripping William
10-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Roy's got an outstanding collection of aged timeouts of the finest vintage in his cellar. I hear they date all the way back to his days at Kansas.

The NCAA needs to start with the timeouts he has in reserve.

Is that the part of the Williams residence that Will Graves was occupying?

OZ
10-12-2017, 06:18 PM

Agree... NEVER thought otherwise... never read nor heard anything that lead me to think unc wouldn't slime through basically untouched!
However, unc has shown the athletic world how to cheat and skate... whatever you offer athletes, just make sure its open to everyone.

duke4ever19
10-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Is that the part of the Williams residence that Will Graves was occupying?

Yes. Several bottles were found with contents consumed.

Graves said he didn't drink a drop and put the bottles back untampered with.

Graves also claimed that the bottles were already empty when he put them back.

Graves also alleges that he never had the bottles to begin with.

So naturally, Roy believed him.

OldPhiKap
10-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Yeah, well. Who would have thought we would both be trying in vain to find some other team to root for in Russia?

Ireland and Iceland.

cbarry
10-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Agree 100%. It’s going to be a sad day for everyone except the Cheaters tomorrow. They will skate with no penalties at all. (Maybe a hand slap on Women’s basketball or women’s soccer.)

Definitely no penalties for the men’s hoops team. Of that, I am certain. The NCAA would never, nor will they ever, punish the UNC hoops team, no matter how egregious the violation. UNC’s lawyers are too good, and the NCAA doesn’t have the cajones to Hammer them.

To me, anything less than at least 1 men’s basketball banner coming down is a travesty of justice.

arnie
10-12-2017, 07:21 PM
Women's Basketball bears the brunt of the punishment, allowing them to say "UNC was punished" without tarnishing their prized Men's programs. Option 2ish.

This is the punishment and to make it worse; Roy steps to the mike and expresses disappointment that Sylvia’s program reflects badly on the school of the people. Actually think they’ll also nail a soccer program, don’t know which one.

sammy3469
10-12-2017, 07:36 PM
I'll go with the most possible under the new penalty matrix...50% reduction in scholarships, 4 years with no postseason, and a huge fine based on MBB and football revenue.

Henderson
10-12-2017, 08:04 PM
In my mind it will be a travesty unless we have a scene somewhat resembling this one over at Chapel Hill, with Roy Williams being one of the principals.

http://multimedia.scmp.com/cultural-revolution/images/article/225hei-bang-fen-zi-wang-yilun.jpg

Yeah but Ol' Roy will be the guy in the lower right.

So close, Roy. So close.

Dude is either thinking, "Damn, that could have been me" or "If I cut the corner to avoid that fairway bunker...."

smvalkyries
10-12-2017, 08:17 PM
1. I bet that the penalties, if any, won't even be released tomorrow but delayed at least until after Late Night with Roy.
2. Penalties limited to woman's basketball and men's soccar.
3. NCAA forces UNC-CH to repay $1,000 to each UNC graduate in the last 21 years as compensation for the loss of value in the quality of their degree.
4. NCAA forces UNC-CH to pay Duke $50 million for having to play against semi-pro teams for their former fiercest rival for last 21years.
5. Duke cancels all future games in all sports against UNC-CH(at least until the $50 million is paid) and makes Virginia its new rival.
6. UNC continues its former ways and attitude.

MarkD83
10-12-2017, 08:54 PM
1. I bet that the penalties, if any, won't even be released tomorrow but delayed at least until after Late Night with Roy.
2. Penalties limited to woman's basketball and men's soccar.
3. NCAA forces UNC-CH to repay $1,000 to each UNC graduate in the last 21 years as compensation for the loss of value in the quality of their degree.
4. NCAA forces UNC-CH to pay Duke $50 million for having to play against semi-pro teams for their former fiercest rival for last 21years.
5. Duke cancels all future games in all sports against UNC-CH(at least until the $50 million is paid) and makes Virginia its new rival.
6. UNC continues its former ways and attitude.

The bolded statement might be the only one that everyone on this board will agree will happen.

madscavenger
10-12-2017, 09:22 PM
Already having punished them numerous times, the NCAA finally bites the bullet and gives Cleveland State the Death Penalty (as if being located in Cleveland isn't enough). In an act of defiance, they change their name to Fenn College and contract with Adidas for new uniforms. Goooo Foxes!

left_hook_lacey
10-13-2017, 08:34 AM

Ha ha ha. That is the equivalent a of scorched earth, nuclear option in Roy's eyes. You may be on to something.

Bluealum
10-13-2017, 09:48 AM
The NCAA would never, nor will they ever, punish the UNC hoops team, no matter how egregious the violation. UNC’s lawyers are too good, and the NCAA doesn’t have the cajones to Hammer them.

This is true. The lawyer standing next to Ol' Roy when he went for his deposition is Jim Cooney, one of the finest lawyers in the state and a proud Duke alum. Even the cheats know that when it counts they have to go find a Duke guy to help them.

Whatever happens this case is the unraveling of the NCAA. If they don't come down hard, all other schools who care to skirt the rules, know how and will point to UNC if caught. If they come down hard this goes to the actual courts where the NCAA itself will go on trial.