PDA

View Full Version : Dukies in the NBA - 2017-18 Season

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Billy Dat
10-06-2017, 04:35 PM
Looks like the Kings are taking it slow with Harry...no game action until at least January

https://www.nba.com/amp/kings/news/harry-giles-update

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Looks like the Kings are taking it slow with Harry...no game action until at least January

That's cool. I won't be watching the NBA until mid-April.

MartyClark
10-06-2017, 05:47 PM

Good luck to him.

I wondered, at times, last year whether K was being too cautious in giving Harry playing time. This news suggests otherwise and that he is still pretty fragile.

This rates pretty high on my Duke "what if" list. What if Harry had been healthy last year?

yancem
10-06-2017, 07:34 PM

That’s a shame for Giles but I think it is the smart move. Could mean the difference between a 2-3 year career and a 8-10 year career. I really hope he is able reach his potential and stay healthy.

DukieInBrasil
10-06-2017, 07:40 PM
It's certainly a good thing for HG that the Duke medical staff felt it was best to do that surgery prior to the season last year. 1st) with an injury history such as his, going forward with a medically compromised knee would have greatly increased his risk of another major injury and 2) forced K and the staff to go very slow, which allowed NBA scouts to see enough to validate that he was worth looking at, without compromising his long term health.
It turns out that it was good for K as well, allowing him to nurture a talent like HG and maximizing his long-term career prospects.

Furniture
10-06-2017, 11:59 PM
Kyrie..21 pts.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/916483891392864258/video/1
Jayson SLAM!
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/916464043854041088/video/1
more JT
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/916461460343140352/video/1

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 06:12 AM
Kyrie..21 pts.
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/916483891392864258/video/1
Jayson SLAM!
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/916464043854041088/video/1
more JT

All jumpers for Kyrie. I wonder if that's basic preseason stuff, or if Stevens is going to ask him to be a little nicer to his body this year and not throw himself into the lane as often.

That team is going to be fun to watch.

subzero02
10-07-2017, 09:27 AM
All jumpers for Kyrie. I wonder if that's basic preseason stuff, or if Stevens is going to ask him to be a little nicer to his body this year and not throw himself into the lane as often.

That team is going to be fun to watch.

I guess April came early this year...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 09:38 AM
I guess April came early this year...

Touche. I didn't swear off Twitter clips. :)

Billy Dat
10-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Seth also out indefinitely with a "stress reaction" is his tibia, which sounds a bit like the shin injury that kept him out of practice as a senior.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20945295/dallas-mavericks-seth-curry-indefinitely-stress-reaction-left-tibia

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Seth also out indefinitely with a "stress reaction" is his tibia, which sounds a bit like the shin injury that kept him out of practice as a senior.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20945295/dallas-mavericks-seth-curry-indefinitely-stress-reaction-left-tibia

Saw this on the ESPN crawl. Poor kid has had a snake-bit career injury-wise. Can't help but wonder how his basketball life might be different with good legs.

flyingdutchdevil
10-09-2017, 11:12 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20928050/nba-tatum-battles-establish-spot-boston

This guy is for real. Celtic fans are so lucky to have him.

phaedrus
10-09-2017, 11:24 AM
more JT

Solid defense by #17 on the Sixers, too.

I like many things about the NBA, but nothing more than watching different Duke generations match up.

Will the analytics renaissance contribute to our discussions of the best Duke teams? One day, we may be able to say that Jayson Tatum shoots 60% against J.J. Redick in the post; Jahlil Okafor's offensive efficiency plummets against Harry Giles; Lance Thomas gets open for a lot of threes when Mason Plumlee is chasing him around the perimeter. The possibilities are endless.

arnie
10-09-2017, 06:53 PM
Solid defense by #17 on the Sixers, too.

I like many things about the NBA, but nothing more than watching different Duke generations match up.

Will the analytics renaissance contribute to our discussions of the best Duke teams? One day, we may be able to say that Jayson Tatum shoots 60% against J.J. Redick in the post; Jahlil Okafor's offensive efficiency plummets against Harry Giles; Lance Thomas gets open for a lot of threes when Mason Plumlee is chasing him around the perimeter. The possibilities are endless.

And your last paragraph pretty well sums up the current purpose of Duke b-ball.

dukelifer
10-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Saw this on the ESPN crawl. Poor kid has had a snake-bit career injury-wise. Can't help but wonder how his basketball life might be different with good legs.

True for lots of players- unfortunately. Grant Hill was great before the ankle- Jabari was starting to roll before the tears. Seth will likely be fine with some rest. Jabari is going to be a different player.

awhom111
10-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Andre Dawkins ended up participating in preseason. Melbourne United from Australia was playing at Oklahoma City in an exhibition, but did not have enough healthy players so they invited a few players to join the team for a few days and he was one of them, getting to play in their near-win against NBA opposition. All indications are that he will join the G League once their training camps open.

bullettoothtony
10-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Re: the Kennard pic on the front page... apparently his first purchase was a tanning bed.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Re: the Kennard pic on the front page... apparently his first purchase was a tanning bed.

Yipes! I would have guessed it would be hair product.

BD80
10-10-2017, 11:26 PM

I thought it was "time" with Savannah Chrisley?

DukieInBrasil
10-12-2017, 10:25 AM
per the front page article, it sounds like Jahlil has learned some important things, perhaps most importantly that being a professional in the public eye requires growing a thick skin. Sounds like he needs one of those Waterboy-moments to be an elite player, y'know the scene where the coach gets Sandler to imagine that the opposing team is always taunting his mama, which ignites Sandler to be some other-worldly defensive terror.
Also, it sounds like one of the biggest criticisms against him, weight/conditioning, is something he's taken very seriously and lost 20 pounds. If so, additional quickness and mobility could really change the way he plays, and the way he's perceived. There's really nothing that can be done for his awareness and extincts, except experience.
I hope Jahlil has a better season this year than last. The article paints Jahlil as a very sensitive dude, and perhaps he let that sensitivity to criticism and public perception negatively impact his play. He needs to take Obi-wan's lesson to Luke to heart: "Bury your feelings deep down (Jahlil), they do you credit, but they could be made to serve the (negative perceptions of a sh!* for brains fan)."

left_hook_lacey
10-12-2017, 10:59 AM

Combo purchase with the same hair doctor LeBron and Daniel Tosh use. :D Amazing how money can stimulate hair growth.

moonpie23
10-12-2017, 11:02 AM
does anyone else feel that fan attention has drifted away from "teams" and now centers on players? besides the warriors/cavs rivalry, who really cares about "teams"? i'm in the unfortunate situation of having to pull for many players that i like who play for teams that i traditionally HATED...

i can even enjoy watching the warriors some now (until they play the cavs) due to HWMFNSNBM having been traded...

flyingdutchdevil
10-12-2017, 11:04 AM
does anyone else feel that fan attention has drifted away from "teams" and now centers on players? besides the warriors/cavs rivalry, who really cares about "teams"? i'm in the unfortunate situation of having to pull for many players that i like who play for teams that i traditionally HATED...

i can even enjoy watching the warriors some now (until they play the cavs) due to HWMFNSNBM having been traded...

No, you must root for the Celtics :p

JasonEvans
10-12-2017, 11:37 AM
per the front page article, it sounds like Jahlil has learned some important things, perhaps most importantly that being a professional in the public eye requires growing a thick skin. Sounds like he needs one of those Waterboy-moments to be an elite player, y'know the scene where the coach gets Sandler to imagine that the opposing team is always taunting his mama, which ignites Sandler to be some other-worldly defensive terror.
Also, it sounds like one of the biggest criticisms against him, weight/conditioning, is something he's taken very seriously and lost 20 pounds. If so, additional quickness and mobility could really change the way he plays, and the way he's perceived. There's really nothing that can be done for his awareness and extincts, except experience.
I hope Jahlil has a better season this year than last. The article paints Jahlil as a very sensitive dude, and perhaps he let that sensitivity to criticism and public perception negatively impact his play. He needs to take Obi-wan's lesson to Luke to heart: "Bury your feelings deep down (Jahlil), they do you credit, but they could be made to serve the (negative perceptions of a sh!* for brains fan)."

I just want to stress that anyone who has not read the article about Jah (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/11/16455504/jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-76ers-trade-the-process), really needs to.

flyingdutchdevil
10-12-2017, 11:56 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20994910/celtics-guard-kyrie-irving-says-boston-real-live-sports-city

Money quote:

Boston, I'm driving in and [thinking], 'I'm really playing in a real, live sports city?'

Why, Kyrie, why? If Cleveland doesn't hate you already, they certainly do now. I agree with you - Boston is definitely a 'real, live sports city'. But why say that out loud?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2017, 11:59 AM
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20994910/celtics-guard-kyrie-irving-says-boston-real-live-sports-city

Money quote:

Why, Kyrie, why? If Cleveland doesn't hate you already, they certainly do now. I agree with you - Boston is definitely a 'real, live sports city'. But why say that out loud?

People in Cleveland had already made their decisions on Kyrie. I suspect he lost nothing with this quote, and made a lot of fans in Massachusetts.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-12-2017, 12:01 PM

I agree with you, but I bet if we put up a poll, it would be skewed as all of us here are Duke fans, first and foremost. The last NBA team I watched for reasons other than A: A Duke guy was playing, B: it was the playoffs, or C: It was just on in the room... Was the old school Charlotte Hornets.

cato
10-12-2017, 12:19 PM
I just want to stress that anyone who has not read the article about Jah (https://www.sbnation.com/2017/10/11/16455504/jahlil-okafor-philadelphia-76ers-trade-the-process), really needs to.

I'll be honest. I did not read the article since it was not by a writer I recognized or a major publication. But it is indeed a must-read for Okafor fans.

I'm really pulling for Big Jah. Probably more so than anyone else from the past few Duke teams.

JasonEvans
10-12-2017, 01:41 PM
I'll be honest. I did not read the article since it was not by a writer I recognized or a major publication. But it is indeed a must-read for Okafor fans.

I'm really pulling for Big Jah. Probably more so than anyone else from the past few Duke teams.

Jordan Brenner used to write for ESPN and he did a nice article on how our team was stacked with big fellas (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18049399/duke-leans-legion-giants) a year ago. He was also author of the ESPN Giant Killer articles that tried to predict which smaller teams were likely to pull upsets in the NCAA tourney. He knows his stuff. (https://muckrack.com/jordan-brenner/articles)

LasVegas
10-12-2017, 03:19 PM
People in Cleveland had already made their decisions on Kyrie. I suspect he lost nothing with this quote, and made a lot of fans in Massachusetts.

It’s anecdotal but a lot of my friends (I was born and raised near Cleveland) generally still liked kyrie up until now. This quote really put the nail in the coffin for almost all of them. Cleveland is a die hard sports city. Ask any browns fan if they have ever given up on the team and you will see what I mean. Every year they think it will be their year to at least make the playoffs. Optimism doesn’t even describe it. People love to take shots at Cleveland in the media but 99% of them have never even lived in the area.

As a Duke fan/Kyrie fan, the quote actually made me quite pissed off. I still like kyrie and hope he does well in his career but I’ll no longer be watching or actively rooting for him.

Troublemaker
10-12-2017, 03:25 PM
Based on the additional quote below from the article, it seems Kyrie was commenting on the nightlife rather than the passion of the fans. Kyrie just doesn't speak with great clarity much of the time.

"A lot of different cultures, food and people. You get it all, especially in Boston," the All-Star point guard also said. "You would go to Cleveland and it would be at nighttime and things would be going on, but you just see a vast difference."

flyingdutchdevil
10-12-2017, 03:37 PM
It’s anecdotal but a lot of my friends (I was born and raised near Cleveland) generally still liked kyrie up until now. This quote really put the nail in the coffin for almost all of them. Cleveland is a die hard sports city. Ask any browns fan if they have ever given up on the team and you will see what I mean. Every year they think it will be their year to at least make the playoffs. Optimism doesn’t even describe it. People love to take shots at Cleveland in the media but 99% of them have never even lived in the area.

As a Duke fan/Kyrie fan, the quote actually made me quite pissed off. I still like kyrie and hope he does well in his career but I’ll no longer be watching or actively rooting for him.

Yup. Kyrie is a master at burning bridges with Cleveland.

So happy to have him in Boston, but he if leaves or gets traded, he's gonna stomp on Boston and their fans.

elvis14
10-12-2017, 08:18 PM

I've posted on various places about the deterioration of ESPN. Sportscenter used to be something that I really enjoyed because they covered the games. Now, they cover the players and not the games and thus not the teams. I don't know how many times I've seen a highlight where all we see is LeBron or Harden or Steph schooling guys and making great plays. In the 1 minute they cover a game, they will spend 57 seconds talking about the hyped players then the last 3 seconds you hear something like, team X won the game led by player Y with 37 points (of course player Y isn't LBJ, or the Beard or Steph). They have covered sports like this for about a decade now. So the next generation of fans just know 2 things: local teams, and hyped players. Remember back in the day when ESPN would show some highlights and then fill the screen with a panel that showed the top 3 scorers from both teams, the leading rebounder and leading assist guy right after they covered the actual game?

Agree about the Warriors. I love the style of ball they play and it was weird rooting for them to do well while simultaneously rooting for Harry Skype to miss every shot (like he did in the playoffs 2 years ago).

DukieInBrasil
10-13-2017, 02:51 PM
Matt Jones played a few minutes for SAC last night, got off a shot and missed it. Maybe they're keeping Matt around to keep Harry company, which if true would be a nice gesture. It remains to be seen how serious SAC is about Matt, but at least he's getting paid to play ball for a while.
Also, SAC has Vince Carter, who was 0-6 FG, not that it means much.
PHX let MP1 play but he didn't do much. As much as i like MP1, it's absurd how much $$$ he makes vs. how productive he is. He would be nearly unstoppable if he could develop any sort of shot from anywhere beyond a dunk.
Final rosters haven't been set yet so we don't know who will be on NBA rosters vs G or D league ones. Andre Dawkins seems to be doing the G league.

JasonEvans
10-13-2017, 03:10 PM
PHX let MP1 play but he didn't do much. As much as i like MP1, it's absurd how much $$$ he makes vs. how productive he is. He would be nearly unstoppable if he could develop any sort of shot from anywhere beyond a dunk.

Huh? Miles is on the Hawks and he did not play last night, he is hurt. Not sure what you are talking about here.

DukieInBrasil
10-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Huh? Miles is on the Hawks and he did not play last night, he is hurt. Not sure what you are talking about here.

I saw Plumlee in the box and just assumed it was Miles, i guess cuz he used to play there (PHX) + brain fart (team was really LAC not PHX) + didn't hear about MP3 getting picked up anywhere. Looking at the box more closely, i discovered it was MP3!!! His preseason stats don't look all that great (1-4 FGs and 3 rebs, total), but at least he's still getting serious attention, this time from the Clippers, not PHX.
Anyway, my reading comprehension skills were not up to par when i posted that.

Billy Dat
10-13-2017, 03:27 PM
Matt Jones played a few minutes for SAC last night, got off a shot and missed it. Maybe they're keeping Matt around to keep Harry company, which if true would be a nice gesture. It remains to be seen how serious SAC is about Matt, but at least he's getting paid to play ball for a while.
Also, SAC has Vince Carter, who was 0-6 FG, not that it means much.
Final rosters haven't been set yet so we don't know who will be on NBA rosters vs G or D league ones. Andre Dawkins seems to be doing the G league.

I think Matt would be fortunate to get a shot in the G League, I think there is zero chance he makes the opening night roster but I hope I am wrong. It still baffles me that, not long ago, Demarcus Nelson was starting for the Warriors on opening night.

As for MP1, he may be the #1 example of someone who benefited the most in comparison to his skill level on the one year cap bump that made the market go crazy. Forget "any sort of shot", the kid is physically blessed but, to me, never showed an iota of game sense or had any feel.

Billy Dat
10-13-2017, 04:43 PM

I also liked the article. In contrast, here is a brutally frank assessment of Jah from coach David Thorpe who I really respect

Podcast - 10/12/17 episode - start listening at ~16 minutes, it goes on for about 10 minutes. Ouch!
http://thebasketballfriends.libsyn.com/

duke4ever19
10-13-2017, 05:47 PM

He needs to get out of Philly. They don't give two hoots for him in this city and it seems like the same can be said for his team. Embiid and Simmons are the face of the franchise and don't consider him a part of their young core (hence omitting his name in their self-given new nickname).

I've never seen a player go so fast from averaging around 17 points 6-7 rebounds a game in their rookie year, to being a complete afterthought. The thing is, I think Jah can be a good player. He out-dueled Towns in their two meetings as rookies and looked good doing it. I still believe.

cato
10-14-2017, 11:29 AM
He needs to get out of Philly. They don't give two hoots for him in this city and it seems like the same can be said for his team. Embiid and Simmons are the face of the franchise and don't consider him a part of their young core (hence omitting his name in their self-given new nickname).

I've never seen a player go so fast from averaging around 17 points 6-7 rebounds a game in their rookie year, to being a complete afterthought. The thing is, I think Jah can be a good player. He out-dueled Towns in their two meetings as rookies and looked good doing it. I still believe.

This is the tough part of being so young. Sure, he needs to get out of Philly. And he will. But he needs to shore up his weaknesses in the process.

DukieInBrasil
10-14-2017, 11:49 AM
This is the tough part of being so young. Sure, he needs to get out of Philly. And he will. But he needs to shore up his weaknesses in the process.

but Jahlil is not in The Process

Exnicios
10-14-2017, 12:25 PM
Quinn Cook has been cut by an NBA team...again. The Hawks paid him $100k for his troubles. I continue to have a great deal of respect for Quinn's resiliency. How many more cycles does he go through of this before he makes the move overseas? Here's hoping he has at least one more run at an NBA roster, and this is the time it finally sticks. Per spotrac.com, Quinn has made $237k from the Mavs, Pels, and Hawks in the last two seasons, so hopefully that gives him enough of a cushion to keep on pursuing the NBA dream.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/10/13/16474626/quinn-cook-headlines-three-players-waived-cut-by-atlanta-hawks-jeremy-evans-tyler-cavanaugh

dukelifer
10-14-2017, 12:30 PM
Quinn Cook has been cut by an NBA team...again. The Hawks paid him $100k for his troubles. I continue to have a great deal of respect for Quinn's resiliency. How many more cycles does he go through of this before he makes the move overseas? Here's hoping he has at least one more run at an NBA roster, and this is the time it finally sticks. Per spotrac.com, Quinn has made $237k from the Mavs, Pels, and Hawks in the last two seasons, so hopefully that gives him enough of a cushion to keep on pursuing the NBA dream.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/10/13/16474626/quinn-cook-headlines-three-players-waived-cut-by-atlanta-hawks-jeremy-evans-tyler-cavanaugh

Need to play well when given those shot. May need to go overseas and make some cash.

Furniture
10-14-2017, 10:25 PM

That sucks. This ruins my weekend more than what happened to Carolina!

moonpie23
10-14-2017, 10:35 PM
I think i saw on the news ticker that MP3 had been waived by the clips....

:(

Furniture
10-14-2017, 11:56 PM
I think i saw on the news ticker that MP3 had been waived by the clips...

:(

:-/
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/clippers-marshall-plumlee-waived-by-clippers/

Exnicios
10-15-2017, 09:47 AM
:-/
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/basketball/news/clippers-marshall-plumlee-waived-by-clippers/

And here is a (good but not quite complete) list of guys who got cut. Amile , Marshal, and many other familiar names on the list. Good luck to all!

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/919479349086220288

DukieInBrasil
10-15-2017, 11:08 AM
And here is a (good but not quite complete) list of guys who got cut. Amile , Marshal, and many other familiar names on the list. Good luck to all!

i don't have a twitter, and the image connected to that link isn't scroll-able. Do you know if Matt Jones got cut? Kyle Singler?
For the rest of DBR, is there any news of Dhantay Jones on any rosters? I know he toiled in the D-league pretty much all year, until right before the playoffs when CLE picked him up. Anywho, looking forward to Duke alum NBA roster list.

Furniture
10-15-2017, 11:33 AM
i don't have a twitter, and the image connected to that link isn't scroll-able. Do you know if Matt Jones got cut? Kyle Singler?
For the rest of DBR, is there any news of Dhantay Jones on any rosters? I know he toiled in the D-league pretty much all year, until right before the playoffs when CLE picked him up. Anywho, looking forward to Duke alum NBA roster list.

Matt wasn't on the list. Kyle either.

JasonEvans
10-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Singler has 2 years left on his contract at just a shade under $5 mil per season. On the surface that would seem to make him unlikely to be waived. But, OKC could spread his contract out over 7 years if they waived him, which would result in Singler’s cap hit this season going from $4.66 million to $1.38 million. Now, it would mean that Singler's money would hit the OKC cap for 5 seasons beyond this year and next, but that might be something OKC considers if they continue to have no need for Kyle.

-Jason "depending on how the OKC season goes, I could see Kyle getting moved at some point to bring back a more valuable player from a team that was tanking and willing to absorb Kyle's contract for 2 years" Evans

Furniture
10-15-2017, 11:46 AM
I guess this explains Matts status.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/sports/csn/kings/Five_takeaways_from_Kings__97-83_preseason_loss_to_Blazers-450177203.html

5- End of bench steps up. With seven players sitting out, Jakaar Sampson, Jack Cooley, Matt Jones and Marcus Williams all contributed. Sampson and Cooley are playing on two-way deals and expected to bounce back-and-forth between Reno and Sacramento all season. Jones and Williams are options for the Bighorns as well. Every team needs a shooter and a veteran point guard.

Furniture
10-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Amile.
The Wolves announced they have waived three players: Amile Jefferson (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/291589/amile-jefferson), Melo Trimble (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/291826/melo-trimble), and yesterday’s signing Shawne Williams. All three are now NBA free agents, but appear likely to start the season with the Wolves G-League affiliate in Iowa.
Jefferson and Trimble were both signed this summer as undrafted rookie free agents. Jefferson a power forward from Duke, was on the Wolves summer league team and earned a camp invite. He’s gotten a long look, and will have a chance to impress in the G-League. Trimble, a point guard from Maryland, was signed later and was never going to make the team given their need for a veteran third point guard. Williams was signed for Iowa as he tries to work his way back to the NBA.
https://www.canishoopus.com/2017/10/14/16476136/timberwolves-waive-three-opening-night-roster-appears-set-amile-jefferson-melo-trimble

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/25/timberwolves-amile-jefferson-might-have-caught-eye-of-tom-thibodeau/

On Amile Jefferson: “(He’s) been terrific.”
The latter stands out as high praise for an undrafted rookie who agreed to a one-year deal with Minnesota in August. Jefferson, a 6-foot-9, lengthy, athletic forward/wing, was an afterthought to many when he signed with the Wolves, but appears to be making an impression on Thibodeau.
Thibodeau said he’s impressed with Jefferson’s “energy, his attitude, his approach, eagerness to learn, makes the group better just (with) the way he practices, good habits.”

brlftz
10-15-2017, 01:25 PM

Emeka Okafor may have been released, but Nick Horvath and Shav Randolph were both assessed fouls on the play.

awhom111
10-15-2017, 03:40 PM
The Twitterverse has Jones being waived too now. He, Amile, and Marshall were largely expected. Quinn seemed more likely to stick, but this is probably a make or break season for him from an NBA perspective.

MChambers
10-15-2017, 06:15 PM
Remember Carrick Felix? He's made the Wizards. I know he really isn't a Dukie, but I couldn't find a better fit in another thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2017/10/15/from-bullied-special-education-student-to-nba-player-carrick-felix-had-to-fight-to-earn-his-spot/?utm_term=.1cd5e3a78b26

DangerDevil
10-15-2017, 08:37 PM
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/10/boston_celtics_news_jayson_tat_1.html

Pretty cool for Tatum, sounds like he will start in his NBA debut.

"With veteran forward Marcus Morris ruled out for the next "week-plus" due to knee soreness, head coach Brad Stevens hinted the team is likely to start the 19-year-old Tatum and 20-year-old Jaylen Brown on opening night."

JasonEvans
10-16-2017, 09:43 AM
http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2017/10/boston_celtics_news_jayson_tat_1.html

Pretty cool for Tatum, sounds like he will start in his NBA debut.

"With veteran forward Marcus Morris ruled out for the next "week-plus" due to knee soreness, head coach Brad Stevens hinted the team is likely to start the 19-year-old Tatum and 20-year-old Jaylen Brown on opening night."

Wait is it 2017 or 2019? Cause this line was supposed to come from the future.

the Celtics will likely start Brown and Tatum next to Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford.

BD80
10-16-2017, 09:47 AM

the Celtics will likely start Brown and Tatum next to Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward and Al Horford.

Surprising amount of turnover from last year's starting line-up.

flyingdutchdevil
10-16-2017, 09:50 AM

Surprising amount of turnover from last year's starting line-up.

Ummmmm....where’s the defense? Horford and....ummmmmm....

BD80
10-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Ummmmm...where’s the defense? Horford and...ummmmmm...

Defense? We're talking about defense. How silly is that? I know it's important, but we're talking about defense. ...

Stevens will coach 'em up? The team is greater than the sum of the parts?

dukelifer
10-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Defense? We're talking about defense. How silly is that? I know it's important, but we're talking about defense. ...

Stevens will coach 'em up? The team is greater than the sum of the parts?

I agree. Stevens took a B roster to the NCAA finals twice and a team of pros without a true superstar to the Easterns Conf finals. He has a way.

Troublemaker
10-16-2017, 12:10 PM

Happy to hear this, and good job by Boston to trade Crowder so they could open up playing time for Tatum and Brown. Now, they probably shouldn't have traded him to Cleveland and/or should've gotten better value for him a separate trade, but it's important to play and develop your overall #3 draft picks in Tatum and Brown.

Furniture
10-16-2017, 06:53 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2739008-kyrie-irving-reportedly-to-be-honored-by-cavaliers-on-opening-night-vs-celtics?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Furniture
10-16-2017, 06:57 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/

VIEWING:

COLLEGE
ACTIVE PLAYERS
AVG 2017 CAP HIT
EARNINGS

Duke (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/duke/)
$6,159,336
$766,519,845

Kentucky (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/kentucky/)
$4,957,371
$680,053,546

Florida (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/florida/)
$6,424,611
$631,899,246

North Carolina (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/north-carolina/)
$4,528,002
$631,118,669

Kansas (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/kansas/)
$3,538,778
$607,977,930

Arizona (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/arizona/)

duke4ever19
10-16-2017, 09:27 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2739008-kyrie-irving-reportedly-to-be-honored-by-cavaliers-on-opening-night-vs-celtics?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

An interesting tactic by the Cavs organization. It'll be interesting to see the reception the fans give him.

Without a tribute video, I think he'd get booed, but perhaps this is the Cavs way of encouraging a more reasonable response from the crowd.

He was their #1 draft pick, became a star in Cleveland, and played a major part in their winning their first title. However, his departure, while not overtly hostile, was not on the best of terms.

awhom111
10-16-2017, 09:31 PM
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/

VIEWING:

COLLEGE
ACTIVE PLAYERS
AVG 2017 CAP HIT
EARNINGS

Duke (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/duke/)
$6,159,336
$766,519,845

Kentucky (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/kentucky/)
$4,957,371
$680,053,546

Florida (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/florida/)
$6,424,611
$631,899,246

North Carolina (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/north-carolina/)
$4,528,002
$631,118,669

Kansas (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/kansas/)
$3,538,778
$607,977,930

Arizona (http://www.spotrac.com/nba/college/arizona/)

Questionable accounting by Spotrac, but I suspect once the dust clears and someone compiles a real list, it will not be not too far off from that. Spotrac has its uses, but the real authority on matters related to NBA salary should be Basketball Insiders until ESPN fully establishes itself with its new staff.

Furniture
10-16-2017, 11:07 PM
http://www.nba.com/kings/news/kings-waive-three-101517/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento Kings announced today that the team has requested waivers on guards David Stockton, Matt Jones and Reggie Hearn

Jim3k
10-17-2017, 12:16 AM
Remember Carrick Felix? He's made the Wizards. I know he really isn't a Dukie, but I couldn't find a better fit in another thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2017/10/15/from-bullied-special-education-student-to-nba-player-carrick-felix-had-to-fight-to-earn-his-spot/?utm_term=.1cd5e3a78b26

Sweet story about Carrick in the link. Definitely overcame some serious setbacks. Now he has a Master's and is an app developer? Who'd a thought? Plus, Pac-12 defensive player of the year? Wow.

While Duke recruited and offered him as a JC transfer from Southern Idaho, his academic background was inadequate--an expected circumstance for an ADD kid. So Duke's Admissions office would not concur even though he wore the sweatshirt. This resulted in Herb Sendek stepping up from ASU. I'll bet Coach K helped that along.

Anyway, good luck to to Carrick. I hope he lives his NBA dream for some time to come. Looks to me like a true student athlete who succeeded where others could not. He may not be a Dukie, but he is more than a wannabe. We should admire his determination. I bet Sendek does.

MPandolfi
10-17-2017, 09:18 AM
According to Shams, Quinn and the Warriors have agreed to a two-way deal.

atoomer0881
10-17-2017, 09:45 AM

I was so bummed yesterday to see Atlanta had waived him, but this just brought a smile to my face! Thanks for sharing!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Better than a one way deal!

JohnJ
10-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Who or what is "Shams"?

MPandolfi
10-17-2017, 10:32 AM
Who or what is "Shams"?

Shams Charania. Worked for RealGM.com, and then Woj brought him to Yahoo/The Vertical a few years back. He's considered the up-and-coming Woj by many.

sagegrouse
10-17-2017, 10:44 AM

I found this article from three months ago. Basically, it's a $75,000 G League contract, with the player eligible for up to 45 days in the NBA. Quinn, as a second year player, will earn at a rate above the article's reference to an NBA minimum of $816,000, maybe $1.3 million. It's kind of a "halfway house" to the NBA -- but better than the old D League contracts.

Here are the specific details for the new two-way contract:

They will act as a 16th and 17th roster spot for NBA teams beginning next season (2017-18).
The player can spend up to 45 days with the NBA team that signs him, although no time is guaranteed.
The rest of the player’s contract must be spent in the G-League, either for the team’s affiliate or another’s if the team he signs with doesn’t have a G-League affiliate yet. For the 2017-18 season, the G-League will represent 26 of the NBA’s 30 teams.
The player’s pay comes on a tiered salary system, which can last one or two seasons. While in the G-League, the player will make $75,000. It’s a significant increase from the current pay structure for G-Leaguers, who cannot make more than $26,000 with a one-way G-League deal.
When in the NBA, a player with a two-way contract will accrue a day of service and make money consistent with an NBA rookie minimum, which is about $816,000 next season. If a player spends 45 days in the NBA, he could make around $204,000.
In total, a two-way player who spends the maximum amount of time in the NBA would make $279,000.

That’s a lot more money than the G-League has ever presented its players.

JasonEvans
10-17-2017, 11:04 AM
Questionable accounting by Spotrac, but I suspect once the dust clears and someone compiles a real list, it will not be not too far off from that. Spotrac has its uses, but the real authority on matters related to NBA salary should be Basketball Insiders until ESPN fully establishes itself with its new staff.

The problem with the Sportrac numbers is they are including non-guaranteed monies in their totals. So, Ryan Kelly seems to be earning $1.5 mil this year even though he has been waived and will not make any of that money (unless he is signed by a new team). There are other head scratching things like Carlos Boozer earning $20 mil this season even though he has not been in the NBA for several years. Elton Brand is also shown as making NBA money this year, which seems incorrect. Not sure what Sportrac is doing here.

JohnJ
10-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Shams Charania. Worked for RealGM.com, and then Woj brought him to Yahoo/The Vertical a few years back. He's considered the up-and-coming Woj by many.

Thanks

accfanfrom1970
10-17-2017, 12:23 PM
The problem with the Sportrac numbers is they are including non-guaranteed monies in their totals. So, Ryan Kelly seems to be earning $1.5 mil this year even though he has been waived and will not make any of that money (unless he is signed by a new team). There are other head scratching things like Carlos Boozer earning $20 mil this season even though he has not been in the NBA for several years. Elton Brand is also shown as making NBA money this year, which seems incorrect. Not sure what Sportrac is doing here.

Uncheats work there?

sagegrouse
10-17-2017, 12:26 PM

Did either Carlos or Elton restructure his deal to pay out over a much longer term?

Billy Dat
10-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Props to our guys who made opening night rosters:

Seth Curry and Josh McRoberts - Mavs, Luol Deng and Brandon Ingram - Lakers, Harry Giles - Kings, Rodney Hood - Jazz, Kyrie Irving and Jayson Tatum - Celtics, Frank Jackson - Pelicans, Tyus Jones - Wolves, Luke Kennard - Pistons, Jahlil Okafor and JJ Redick - 76ers, Jabari Parker - Bucks, Mason Plumlee - Nuggets, Miles Plumlee - Hawks, Austin Rivers - Clips, Kyle Singler - Thunder, Lance Thomas - Knicks, Justise Winslow - Heat

Also - props to former Dukie, Semi Ojeleye for making the Celtics.

"Keep on grinding!" to our guys who appeared in the NBA last year at some point but didn't make an opening night squad - Ryan Kelly, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee and Gerald Henderson. G was replaced by JJ in Philly but also had hip surgery that will likely have him out for the full year. At only 29 and a respected veteran, I think he'll be back on this list next year. I think Ryan already headed overseas. Quinn signed the two-way contract highlighted in a post above. Not sure if MPIII plans a D-League stint. Also, hope to see Amile and Matt in the G League after they made training camp rosters and were relatively late cuts. Maybe Andre Dawkins is still holding out hope stateside?

Not sure if Mike Dunleavy Jr. has retired after being cut loose by the Hawks. Nor Dahntay Jones after being released by the Cavs.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-17-2017, 01:02 PM

Seth Curry and Josh McRoberts - Mavs, Luol Deng and Brandon Ingram - Lakers, Harry Giles - Kings, Rodney Hood - Jazz, Kyrie Irving and Jayson Tatum - Celtics, Frank Jackson - Pelicans, Tyus Jones - Wolves, Luke Kennard - Pistons, Jahlil Okafor and JJ Redick - 76ers, Jabari Parker - Bucks, Mason Plumlee - Nuggets, Miles Plumlee - Hawks, Austin Rivers - Clips, Kyle Singler - Thunder, Lance Thomas - Knicks, Justise Winslow - Heat

Also - props to former Dukie, Semi Ojeleye for making the Celtics.

"Keep on grinding!" to our guys who appeared in the NBA last year at some point but didn't make an opening night squad - Ryan Kelly, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee and Gerald Henderson. G was replaced by JJ in Philly but also had hip surgery that will likely have him out for the full year. At only 29 and a respected veteran, I think he'll be back on this list next year. I think Ryan already headed overseas. Quinn signed the two-way contract highlighted in a post above. Not sure if MPIII plans a D-League stint. Also, hope to see Amile and Matt in the G League after they made training camp rosters and were relatively late cuts. Maybe Andre Dawkins is still holding out hope stateside?

Not sure if Mike Dunleavy Jr. has retired after being cut loose by the Hawks. Nor Dahntay Jones after being released by the Cavs.

Love how many duos there are!

elvis14
10-17-2017, 01:49 PM

<snip>

, Jahlil Okafor and JJ Redick - 76ers,

I was thinking about this duo the other day when someone posted a Jah article. Could it be JJ who gets Jah on the right path? It would be really cool to be reading a story a year from now about how JJ took Jah under his wing and taught him how to truly be a professional.

flyingdutchdevil
10-17-2017, 01:59 PM
I was thinking about this duo the other day when someone posted a Jah article. Could it be JJ who gets Jah on the right path? It would be really cool to be reading a story a year from now about how JJ took Jah under his wing and taught him how to truly be a professional.

Brand tried and failed. Not sure what JJ can do.

Plus, it sounds like the big Oak is on the outside looking in.

cato
10-17-2017, 02:38 PM

Elton never went through what Jah is going through. JJ did — maybe he can help Okafor take the same approach JJ did.

Of course, counsel is just that. Counsel. Jahlil will have to be the one that makes it happen.

flyingdutchdevil
10-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Elton never went through what Jah is going through. JJ did — maybe he can help Okafor take the same approach JJ did.

Of course, counsel is just that. Counsel. Jahlil will have to be the one that makes it happen.

While true about Brand, JJ's situation is not like Jah's. JJ didn't have strong defensive/distribution skills as an NBA rookie; van Gundy helped to develop that. Jah has the tools but is deemed "unmotivated" and "lazy".

I assume there was 0% that JJ was signed on to help Jah. It's safe to say that Jah isn't in the 76er's long-term plans.

elvis14
10-17-2017, 03:00 PM

JJ might succeed where Brand did not. Personally, I'd like to see him try.

Jah is still young but perhaps he's old enough now to see that he needs to rededicate himself to his craft. I don't know, I'm just hoping...

While true about Brand, JJ's situation is not like Jah's. JJ didn't have strong defensive/distribution skills as an NBA rookie; van Gundy helped to develop that. Jah has the tools but is deemed "unmotivated" and "lazy".

I assume there was 0% that JJ was signed on to help Jah. It's safe to say that Jah isn't in the 76er's long-term plans.

I agree that the Sixers didn't bring in JJ to school Jah. I'm just saying I'd love for it to happen anyway. If Jah has the tools, JJ might be just guy to get him to use them. Might happen, might not. Again...one can hope!

Jah gets after it, learns to be a pro from JJ and gets going in the right direction, he might end up in the long term plans for a team. If it's not the Sixers, that's OK, heck that might be a blessing.

Billy Dat
10-17-2017, 05:27 PM
Quickie Duke in the NBA Opening Night Power Rankings...injuries count, this is based on where they stand right now according to my very subjective criteria. Debate very welcomed.

1. Kyrie Irving – Most prominent Dukie in the NBA
2. JJ Redick - $23MM dollar a year man, brought in to mentor the baby 76ers
3. Rodney Hood – the opportunity to become “The Man” in Utah
4. Justise Winslow - can he stay healthy, can he shoot, is he all everyone thought he was as a precocious rookie?
5. Brandon Ingram - a starter in his second year, expectations are sky high
6. Jayson Tatum - starting in the big opening night game, so what if it's only because someone is hurt
7. Lance Thomas - potential starter in NY
8. Mason Plumlee - trying to carve out his rotation minutes as a back-up in Denver
9. Austin Rivers - missed all preseason but a projected potential starter for Daddy in LA
10. Luke Kennard - can he crack the regular rotation as a defensively deficient player under Stan Van?
11. Luol Deng - now the veteran mentor to the baby Lakers, fighting for back-up minutes
12. Jahlil Okafor - the odd man out in Philly, needing a new start but likely in the rotation most nights
13. Tyus Jones - the little engine that could, fighting to be a rotation player for Thibs
14. Josh McRoberts - injured but back soon and a likely 15-20 minute man when he plays for Dallas
15. Kyle Singler - on his last legs in OKC, likely not active on opening night
16. Miles Plumlee - looking at decent back-up minutes in Atlanta but out for a few weeks with injuries
17. Seth Curry - a rotation man in Dallas but out injured for at least a few weeks
18. Harry Giles - shut down until at least January, but coming along
19. Frank Jackson - out until January with a broken foot
20. Jabari Parker - out until at least February, sure to shoot up the list once he returns

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Quickie Duke in the NBA Opening Night Power Rankings...injuries count, this is based on where they stand right now according to my very subjective criteria. Debate very welcomed.

1. Kyrie Irving – Most prominent Dukie in the NBA
2. JJ Redick - $23MM dollar a year man, brought in to mentor the baby 76ers
3. Rodney Hood – the opportunity to become “The Man” in Utah
4. Justise Winslow - can he stay healthy, can he shoot, is he all everyone thought he was as a precocious rookie?
5. Brandon Ingram - a starter in his second year, expectations are sky high
6. Jayson Tatum - starting in the big opening night game, so what if it's only because someone is hurt
7. Lance Thomas - potential starter in NY
8. Mason Plumlee - trying to carve out his rotation minutes as a back-up in Denver
9. Austin Rivers - missed all preseason but a projected potential starter for Daddy in LA
10. Luke Kennard - can he crack the regular rotation as a defensively deficient player under Stan Van?
11. Luol Deng - now the veteran mentor to the baby Lakers, fighting for back-up minutes
12. Jahlil Okafor - the odd man out in Philly, needing a new start but likely in the rotation most nights
13. Tyus Jones - the little engine that could, fighting to be a rotation player for Thibs
14. Josh McRoberts - injured but back soon and a likely 15-20 minute man when he plays for Dallas
15. Kyle Singler - on his last legs in OKC, likely not active on opening night
16. Miles Plumlee - looking at decent back-up minutes in Atlanta but out for a few weeks with injuries
17. Seth Curry - a rotation man in Dallas but out injured for at least a few weeks
18. Harry Giles - shut down until at least January, but coming along
19. Frank Jackson - out until January with a broken foot
20. Jabari Parker - out until at least February, sure to shoot up the list once he returns

You acknowledge it is subjective, but O would put some of our young bucks ahead of an aging JJ.

Fun list though. I hope you/we maintain the list through the season.

LasVegas
10-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Hayward. Snapped his leg off. There goes the season. The kyrie curse. Too soon? Yikes

DangerDevil
10-17-2017, 08:18 PM
Well unfortunately there are going to be more minutes up for grabs for Tatum, Gordon Hayward just gruesomely broke his leg.

cato
10-17-2017, 08:52 PM

I was not necessarily talking about JJ’s stint with the Magic.

I do think that JJ will understand what Jahlil is going through in the NBA, in part based on being a lottery pick who found himself on the bench. But JJ’s transformation in the NBA was his second. It was his first, while at Duke, that Jahlil needs to embrace.

I don’t think JJ was signed to help Jahlil. I hope that Jahlil thrives, and I wonder if JJ can help.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-17-2017, 09:02 PM
I think Seth is going to move up that list a bit by the end of the year.

My preseason read on Winslow is that he still can't shoot and is still having trouble finishing at the rim. He was a mess in the first 4 games, but played considerably better in the 2nd 2, so I'm hoping he was just shaking off some rust having been injured most of last year. He's still really young and athletic, and he's still a hard worker, so I continue to believe he's going to figure it out eventually. I'm just not sure it's going to be with Miami.

elvis14
10-17-2017, 09:40 PM
Hayward. Snapped his leg off. There goes the season. The kyrie curse. Too soon? Yikes

Well unfortunately there are going to be more minutes up for grabs for Tatum, Gordon Hayward just gruesomely broke his leg.

Wow that sucks. I was really looking forward to watching Kyrie and Gordon play together. I hope he has a successful recovery.

duke4ever19
10-17-2017, 09:53 PM
Tatum with a strong 3rd quarter. 10 points and a nice hesitation move on LeBron for the and-1. Then a deep 3-pointer.

He's got a bit of foul trouble, but I've been impressed.

Furniture
10-17-2017, 09:53 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/920462150845521921/video/1

duke4ever19
10-17-2017, 09:56 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/NBA/status/920462150845521921/video/1

I forgot about that one! His first NBA bucket.

Furniture
10-17-2017, 10:14 PM
It's a good game now. That Jaylen Brown kid is really good.

UrinalCake
10-17-2017, 10:28 PM
Tatum has looked fantastic in the second half. Smooth and solid, hasn't initiated much but has played his role. Will only get better as he gets more comfortable. You can see why Boston was so high on him.

flyingdutchdevil
10-17-2017, 10:34 PM
Tatum has looked fantastic in the second half. Smooth and solid, hasn't initiated much but has played his role. Will only get better as he gets more comfortable. You can see why Boston was so high on him.

Yeah. Really good. His first half was atrocious, but it only took him 24 min to realize that he can play with these guys.

Get well soon, Hayward!!!!!!!!

Furniture
10-17-2017, 10:37 PM
Valiant try by Kyrie and his Celtics. Very enjoyable. Kyrie was on fire at times but Lebron was huge!

flyingdutchdevil
10-17-2017, 10:39 PM
Valiant try by Kyrie and his Celtics. Very enjoyable. Kyrie was on fire at times but Lebron was huge!

Your last line could easily be used to describe the Cavs over the last three years...

Furniture
10-17-2017, 10:49 PM
ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR THE DUKE BLUE DEVILS:Kyrie22pts 10asts 4rebs 3stlsJayson14pts 10rebs 3asts
Guess what shirt Jayson wore in warm ups tonight!

Furniture
10-17-2017, 10:51 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/920476596091478016/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fduke.forums.rivals.com%2Fthr eads%2Fduke-in-the-nba.10853075%2Fpage-24

Quinn @ The Warriors!

dragoneye776
10-17-2017, 11:31 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeNBA/status/920476596091478016/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fduke.forums.rivals.com%2Fthr eads%2Fduke-in-the-nba.10853075%2Fpage-24

Quinn @ The Warriors!

For all his contract troubles in his first 2 year of the NBA, now he goes and gets a ring in a system that brings out the best in their players... Wow things really do work out in the end.

This may have helped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1mthfL9e2g

Billy Dat
10-18-2017, 09:18 AM
You acknowledge it is subjective, but I would put some of our young bucks ahead of an aging JJ. Fun list though. I hope you/we maintain the list through the season.

My subjective criteria is based on where they are right now, and I feel like JJ is oddly near the peak of his career at this age, maybe just over the peak. We'll see if the young guns can pass him. I will try and keep updating the rankings on a regular basis...the best laid plans..

I think Seth is going to move up that list a bit by the end of the year.

My preseason read on Winslow is that he still can't shoot and is still having trouble finishing at the rim. He was a mess in the first 4 games, but played considerably better in the 2nd 2, so I'm hoping he was just shaking off some rust having been injured most of last year. He's still really young and athletic, and he's still a hard worker, so I continue to believe he's going to figure it out eventually. I'm just not sure it's going to be with Miami.

I agree about Seth, if he was healthy and everyone else's health was as is (meaning injured guys are still injured), he'd be closer to top 10.

Justise will have a long career if he can stay healthy. His shot will determine whether or not he becomes a star or just a dependable veteran.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2017, 12:18 PM
I agree about Seth, if he was healthy and everyone else's health was as is (meaning injured guys are still injured), he'd be closer to top 10.

I would love to see Seth's career flourish. I always felt that he was hampered my injuries at Duke and by his superstar older brother. I would be elated to see him on a starting roster on a regular basis and see what he could accomplish.

Bay Area Duke Fan
10-18-2017, 01:38 PM
I would love to see Seth's career flourish. I always felt that he was hampered my injuries at Duke and by his superstar older brother. I would be elated to see him on a starting roster on a regular basis and see what he could accomplish.

How? I'm sure that Steph has been very helpful to and supportive of his brother.

Billy Dat
10-18-2017, 02:04 PM
How? I'm sure that Steph has been very helpful to and supportive of his brother.

My guess he meant that Steph casts a long shadow...but I think we all agree that Seth has benefited mightily by the comparison, and to his father. The same player with the name Sam Curran and no familial lineage of shooting greatness might not be in the NBA.

DangerDevil
10-18-2017, 02:30 PM
Another cool stat for Tatum from last night, he was the 1st Celtics player to record a double-double in his NBA debut since Larry Bird in 79

"Tatum and Bird’s stats from their first games in green and white were eerily similar. They scored the same amount of points, snagged the same number of rebounds, and shot nearly the same field-goal percentage."

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/10/18/jayson-tatums-stats-nba-debut-celtics-legend-larry-bird

Selover
10-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Another cool stat for Tatum from last night, he was the 1st Celtics player to record a double-double in his NBA debut since Larry Bird in 79

"Tatum and Bird’s stats from their first games in green and white were eerily similar. They scored the same amount of points, snagged the same number of rebounds, and shot nearly the same field-goal percentage."

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2017/10/18/jayson-tatums-stats-nba-debut-celtics-legend-larry-bird

I saw this. Pretty cool!

How do you think Tatum would look with a mustache like Larry? :o

DangerDevil
10-18-2017, 02:39 PM
How do you think Tatum would look with a mustache like Larry? :o

I think Jason should stick to trying to replicate his on court performance and let Larry keep the 80s stache for himself!

brevity
10-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Larry Bird: The Hick from French Lick
Jayson Tatum: The Lifebuoy from St. Louie?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-18-2017, 03:18 PM
My guess he meant that Steph casts a long shadow...but I think we all agree that Seth has benefited mightily by the comparison, and to his father. The same player with the name Sam Curran and no familial lineage of shooting greatness might not be in the NBA.

Yes, thank you. That is what I meant to convey.

DukieInBrasil
10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
Larry Bird: The Hick from French Lick
Jayson Tatum: The Lifebuoy from St. Louie?

that made me laugh. It's hard to think of a better rhyme for St Louis than that.

Billy Dat
10-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Watched the two national games tonight.

The Sixers play a lot of guys, and JJ wasn't as central to the 76ers offense as I thought he'd be. Definitely have to give that team a while to establish roles. I was impressed with Ben Simmons and Markel Fultz. Embiid looked ok. Jah DNP, is behind Amir Johnson and when Johnson had foul trouble, they just didn't play a 5.

Tyus got major minutes in a close loss to San Antonio, I think he played at least 15 second half minutes including crunch time over Jeff Teague. He really seems to have Thibs trust. Wiggins looked great, KAT plays horrible D!

brlftz
10-19-2017, 12:38 AM
I guess I missed something re Kennard? How come the DNP?

edit: also puzzled by Rodney's low minutes, off the bench at that

LasVegas
10-19-2017, 01:04 AM

Van Gundy said he will not play until his defense improves

Acymetric
10-19-2017, 01:30 AM

Wait, is this October 2006?

brlftz
10-19-2017, 02:03 AM

wow, that deteriorated quickly from a few days ago, when the buzz was that he would be starting. should have known better with svg.

tbyers11
10-19-2017, 06:57 AM
also puzzled by Rodney's low minutes, off the bench at that

Recap (http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400974766) says that

Rodney Hood was pulled out of the starting lineup at the last second due to gastric distress. Rookie Donovan Mitchell made his first career start in his place. Hood entered later in the first quarter and played 18 minutes.

I thought he was over the nervous stomach issue that plagued him at Duke. Does opening night bring it back?

BD80
10-19-2017, 08:31 AM

Luke is behind Langston Galloway in the rotation, one of those free agent steals backed by great scouting and research. Galloway is everything SVG values: good shooting, great court awareness (spacing on offense and defense) and relentless hustle.

Luke hasn't been bad, Galloway has been better. That's OK, SVG doesn't expect rookies to get it.

dukelifer
10-19-2017, 08:36 AM
Luke is behind Langston Galloway in the rotation, one of those free agent steals backed by great scouting and research. Galloway is everything SVG values: good shooting, great court awareness (spacing on offense and defense) and relentless hustle.

Luke hasn't been bad, Galloway has been better. That's OK, SVG doesn't expect rookies to get it.

SVG know that Luke has work to do and needs to get tougher, stronger and better at D. He will get time but it will take some time. He is a tough love coach- but JJ figured it out under him, and has a long productive career.

flyingdutchdevil
10-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Wait, is this October 2006?

In fairness, JJ frequently refers to SVG as the main engine behind developing JJ into an NBA player. SVG is rough around the edges, but he's a great coach. I hope Kennard listens very closely to SVG.

BD80
10-19-2017, 08:52 AM
SVG know that Luke has work to do and needs to get tougher, stronger and better at D. He will get time but it will take some time. He is a tough love coach- but JJ figured it out under him, and has a long productive career.

SVG's approach does seem to be working with the Pistons.

Stanley Johnson, who the Pistons picked over Winslow :confused: , is turning into the disruptive, physical presence on D that they wanted. Even though he was 0-12 from the field he logged the most minutes for the Pistons last night, by a lot.

Henry Ellerson, last year's #1 pick who played very little last year, was a key contributor last night and had the green light to shoot, jacking-up 10 shots for 13 points in 16 minutes.

Granted, the trade of Marcus Morris for Avery Bradley opened up PT for both Johnson and Ellerson, but it was because SVG had confidence in the young guys he was willing to trade Morris and his team-friendly contract. Bradley, of course, is one of the guys SVG would choose first if given the pick of all of the players in the NBA.

DukieInBrasil
10-19-2017, 03:41 PM
overall, a pretty lackluster night for Duke alum in the NBA last night. Kyrie followed a solid opening night with sub-par 7-25 FG in the 2nd game of a back to back nights. Tatum on the other hand, nearly had a consecutive 2x double with 9&8. JJ scored 12 on 10FGs, 4-8 3FGs is pretty nice. Mason had a solid if yeoman 6pts and 2 boards, ditto for Hood. Justise had a pretty nice game for Miami with 10pts on 4-8 FGs. Tyus continues to put up nice +/- but didn't put up much on the stats side of things, 3 pts and 1 ast. Okafor got a DNP, as did Kennard.
So 3 pretty good games, 2 decent-yeoman games, 1 nice but not noteworthy game, 1 pretty bad game and 2 DNPs.

fraggler
10-19-2017, 04:16 PM
Tyus looked great during the stretch that I was able to watch. I know his stats were modest, but the Wolves looked better when he was running the show than when Teague was in. He is just a little too small and slow to be anything other than a backup point guard, though, particularly on D. But if given the chance, he could play 10 years as a great backup.

DukieInBrasil
10-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Tyus looked great during the stretch that I was able to watch. I know his stats were modest, but the Wolves looked better when he was running the show than when Teague was in. He is just a little too small and slow to be anything other than a backup point guard, though, particularly on D. But if given the chance, he could play 10 years as a great backup.

his +9 vs Teague's -7 indicate that Tyus is can handle more than what he's getting.

Acymetric
10-19-2017, 10:07 PM
In fairness, JJ frequently refers to SVG as the main engine behind developing JJ into an NBA player. SVG is rough around the edges, but he's a great coach. I hope Kennard listens very closely to SVG.

100% agreed on all counts, I just found the similarities quite striking. Duke offense focused guy goes to play for SVG in the NBA and lives on the bench because he can't defend NBA talent. I think Kennard has a greater NBA potential for creating his own offense, so if he can raise his defense even close to the way JJ did he will be quite a player.

cato
10-20-2017, 01:50 AM
100% agreed on all counts, I just found the similarities quite striking. Duke offense focused guy goes to play for SVG in the NBA and lives on the bench because he can't defend NBA talent. I think Kennard has a greater NBA potential for creating his own offense, so if he can raise his defense even close to the way JJ did he will be quite a player.

That said, JJ had an extra two years at Duke to work on his D.

luburch
10-20-2017, 07:41 AM
I post this link every year - be sure to bookmark it http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

Big thank you to whoever created it!

grad_devil
10-20-2017, 09:00 AM
I post this link every year - be sure to bookmark it http://huckleberry.mhu.edu/devilStats.html

Big thank you to whoever created it!

Why thank you for the props ;) I was about to post it myself!

It's acting a little wonky right now - got to work out the bugs for the new season. Occasionally a link will break, but fear not - it should be fixed soon. Ish. Or when I get around to it :)

budwom
10-20-2017, 09:25 AM

Last year the Wolves tried like crazy to make (first round pick) Kris Dunn the PG, now it's Teague's turn. I guess Tyus's problem is that when you look at him, he doesn't look like terribly impressive...but he definitely knows how to play.
Eventually the Wolves might give Tyus a bigger role...

cato
10-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Last year the Wolves tried like crazy to make (first round pick) Kris Dunn the PG, now it's Teague's turn. I guess Tyus's problem is that when you look at him, he doesn't look like terribly impressive...but he definitely knows how to play.
Eventually the Wolves might give Tyus a bigger role...

I don’t watch enough NBA to know for sure, but I tend to trust the people who say that Tyus’ ceiling is back-up PG. If he is the starting PG, I think that leaves his team too open to a mismatch on D that can be ruthlessly exploited.

Of course, back-up PG is still an important position and can be the basis of a career if he excels at it.

DukieInBrasil
10-20-2017, 12:13 PM
I don’t watch enough NBA to know for sure, but I tend to trust the people who say that Tyus’ ceiling is back-up PG. If he is the starting PG, I think that leaves his team too open to a mismatch on D that can be ruthlessly exploited.
Of course, back-up PG is still an important position and can be the basis of a career if he excels at it.

Also remember that Tyus would be a Sr. at Duke right now if he hadn't gone early. His physique, and game, are still far from being a finished product. He still has limitations of course but mismatches go both ways, and a PG who has excellent control of his own team's offense can overcome a lot of physical superiority. Tyus is a pretty good 3pt shooter, excellent FT shooter and exquisite passer. I think he'll get a chance to run a team before he reaches his physical peak.

DukieInBrasil
10-20-2017, 03:43 PM
Duke alums had a TERRIBLE night in the NBA last night though. Austin had a horrid shooting night off the bench, Ingram had an almost equally horrid night from the field, but was able to cobble together an otherwise credible performance. Deng didn't do much.

Furniture
10-20-2017, 10:50 PM
https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/10/20/16510200/2017-nba-golden-state-warriors-draymond-green-andre-iguodala-healthy-playing-quinn-cook-activated

TKG
10-21-2017, 10:01 AM
Is Jah still nursing an injury? I have checked the Sixers' box score for two of their games and he has gotten zero minutes, two DNP Coach's Decision.

CptHindsight
10-21-2017, 02:15 PM
Is Jah still nursing an injury? I have checked the Sixers' box score for two of their games and he has gotten zero minutes, two DNP Coach's Decision.

Sixers franchise has given up on him.

Sixers fan base is also the most classless fanbase in professional sports. They were booing Irving last night. They hate Duke players in general.

Online, they have been completely taken over by Kansas and Kentucky fans who followed their boys Noel and Embiid to Suxers. I hope this crap show of a franchise stay losing for the next 3 decades.

Okafor needs to not take his Qualifying Offer and leave the Sixers after his rookie contract.

And you know what started all of this crap? Those bastard traitors who started Okafor Theory back in the days.

BD80
10-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Good start for Luke, 18 key minutes, 5 of 8, 1/4 from 3, 2 assists, 2 steals, 11 points

DukieInBrasil
10-22-2017, 07:59 AM
Quinn got in! He used his time on the court effectively, scoring 2 pts in 1 minute.
Jahlil also saw his first action of the year, and played well, scoring 10 and grabbing 9 boards.
Nobody else did much of note, but worth noting is that Rodney Hood didn't play in the Jazz win.

Furniture
10-22-2017, 08:33 AM
https://www.clipsnation.com/2017/10/21/16514750/agua-caliente-clippers-announce-training-camp-roster

Following today’s NBA G-League draft, the Agua Caliente Clippers (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/los-angeles-clippers) have announced their training camp roster for their inaugural season.
ACCO’s training camp roster begins with affiliate players Marshall Plumlee (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/282638/marshall-plumlee) and Ike Ireogbu from training camp. Agua Caliente also acquired Tyrone Wallace (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/276642/tyrone-wallace) (who played for the Clippers in the pre-season) and LaDontae Henton (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/291873/ladontae-henton) via trade. They join expansion draftees Andre (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/251145/andre-dawkins) Dawkins.

dukelifer
10-22-2017, 08:42 AM
Quinn got in! He used his time on the court effectively, scoring 2 pts in 1 minute.
Jahlil also saw his first action of the year, and played well, scoring 10 and grabbing 9 boards.
Nobody else did much of note, but worth noting is that Rodney Hood didn't play in the Jazz win.

Hood with a minor injury after a very good night the game prior. Quinn pp 48 minutes is outstanding.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Winslow's stat sheet won't jump off the page, but he was absolutely instrumental in the Heat's big 2nd quarter last night that basically won them the game. It was the first time I've seen the athleticism and ferocity that I remember from this Duke days translate into the NBA, but he basically dominated that quarter. He was a +16 at halftime and it was well earned on both sides of the court. He was 3 for 3 at halftime, hitting a nice 10 foot turnaround jumpshot and finishing a couple shots close to the rim. And he had some really nice crisp passes to open shooters. The second half was messier but not terrible. He did miss his final 5 shots, but the defense was still good, and they subbed him in for Olynyk on defensive possessions in the final minute.

Anyway, that was the most encouraged I've been by a Winslow performance in some time and if he plays like that he'll continue to earn 25 minutes or so a night. He's basically functioning as the Heat's backup PG and then moves to the wing when Dragic comes back in.

JasonEvans
10-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Jah played because it was the 2nd game of a back-to-back for the Sixers and they are planning to sit Embiid in back-to-backs this season to ensure that he will be healthy. It is hardly a sign that Okafor is part of the Sixers rotations except for games where Embiid is out.

His status with them is really frustrating and you would have to expect they will deal him at some point. I doubt they could get even a late first rounder for him at this point and I dunno if trading for a 2nd rounder is worth anything given the low success rate of 2nd round picks. He needs to look engaged on D to make teams give him a chance but it must be so hard to really lock in when your playing time is sporadic and you know your team does not want you.

budwom
10-22-2017, 01:33 PM
^ or they can wait twenty minutes for Embiid to get hurt again.

BD80
10-22-2017, 04:44 PM
^ or they can wait twenty minutes for Embiid to get hurt again.

The Sixers are going to stretch that 20 minutes into the 4th or 5th week of the season

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Anyone know the story on Deng this year? I believe he started the first game and has been DNP-CD since then.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Anyone know the story on Deng this year? I believe he started the first game and has been DNP-CD since then.

After playing 13 minutes in the first game of the regular season, forward Luol Deng, 32, has received two consecutive DNP-CD's (Did Not Play -- Coaches Decision) and that will continue, according to Los Angeles Lakers head coach Luke Walton.

"As of now, he [Deng] is not in the rotation as far as consistently penciled in without something happening," Walton told The Orange County Register.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/45639/rumor-central-luke-walton-has-no-time-for-luol-deng

Sucks for Luol, but sounds like he's trapped in a bad situation there. And I use the term "bad situation" pretty liberally here because he's gonna collect 50-some million dollars the next 3 years and he just might be washed up if last year's numbers are anything to go by. If he thinks he still has something left and the Lakers have the ability to do it, maybe they should be talking buy out, like the Bulls did with Wade.

pfrduke
10-23-2017, 11:45 AM
Sounds like the Lakers are, appropriately, focusing on providing their young core with opportunities to develop rather than giving minutes to someone who is not likely to be part of their long term future.

JasonEvans
10-23-2017, 01:08 PM
I use the term "bad situation" pretty liberally here because he's gonna collect 50-some million dollars the next 3 years and he just might be washed up if last year's numbers are anything to go by. If he thinks he still has something left and the Lakers have the ability to do it, maybe they should be talking buy out, like the Bulls did with Wade.

$54 mil over the next 3 seasons... He will be 34 when the contract is done but it sure feels like he's got nothing left in the tank even now. I blame Thibs who played Luol 39+ minutes per game from 2010-2013, which led the NBA in minutes per game. He burned Deng out those seasons and brought old age to him sooner than expected. Plus, Luol has always seemed kinda old.

-Jason "Luol will be at $170+ mil in career earnings when his current deal is done... wow" Evans

COYS
10-23-2017, 01:43 PM
$54 mil over the next 3 seasons... He will be 34 when the contract is done but it sure feels like he's got nothing left in the tank even now. I blame Thibs who played Luol 39+ minutes per game from 2010-2013, which led the NBA in minutes per game. He burned Deng out those seasons and brought old age to him sooner than expected. Plus, Luol has always seemed kinda old.

-Jason "Luol will be at $170+ mil in career earnings when his current deal is done... wow" Evans

Deng staying to play for the 2005 team (along with Shaun Livingston) will always be one of my top Duke "what-if's" but this is also good evidence for why it's good to leave for the NBA at the first opportunity. If he had stayed for his sophomore or junior year, he might have burned out before he had the chance to sign this final big contract. Man, I wish we could've seen him destroy NCAA competition in 2005, but it's hard to argue with his NBA career.

toooskies
10-23-2017, 02:11 PM
Deng staying to play for the 2005 team (along with Shaun Livingston) will always be one of my top Duke "what-if's" but this is also good evidence for why it's good to leave for the NBA at the first opportunity. If he had stayed for his sophomore or junior year, he might have burned out before he had the chance to sign this final big contract. Man, I wish we could've seen him destroy NCAA competition in 2005, but it's hard to argue with his NBA career.

Or, he could have had two fewer years of NBA minutes on him while debuting in the NBA at a higher skill level than he did after only a year at Duke, and he could have been able to get one more contract after his current one. If he stays another year, he probably doesn't end up with Chicago, so maybe that extends his career another year or two. It's really hard to say how things would turn out differently-- he had a good career regardless, but there's no telling what the other outcome would have been.

JasonEvans
10-25-2017, 10:40 AM
Tatum had probably his best game as a pro (I know, only 4 games thus far) as he went 9-15 from the field including 4-6 from 3point range to score 22 points as the Celtics easily beat the hapless Knicks. I'm sure most of you have seen the absurd dunk that Jayson had over Porzingas and some other now deceased Knick. Also worth noting that Tatum had 4 steals and 2 blocked shots. If he can play D with some effectiveness, he is going to be one of the best players in the league in a couple years.

Kyrie had a poor shooting night, 5-13, but hit all 9 of his FTs so he ended up with a rather efficient 20 points.

The Twolves had an awful game, getting blown out at home by the Pacers. Ugh. Tyus again had a relatively modest stat game - 3 pts, 3 rbs, 2 ast - but I have noticed a trend with him. He consistently seems to have among the best +- on the team, an indication that the team plays better with him in the game. He was -1 in this game while starting PG Jeff Teague was -17. I know +- is not a perfect stat by any means, but it is meaningful. He's now had a better +- than Teague in 3 of their 4 games (though Teague was waaay better in the TWolves win over OKC). It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

For the Clippers, Austin moved into the starting lineup and had his best game, by far, of the season. He scored 16 points on 7-13 shooting as the Clips beat the Jazz by 18. Rodney Hood remains sidelined for Utah with a calf injury.

-Jason "see Tatum's destruction of the Knicks here (https://streamable.com/0c98t)" Evans

Truth&Justise
10-25-2017, 12:11 PM
-Jason "see Tatum's destruction of the Knicks here (https://streamable.com/0c98t)" Evans

He was just getting started. Here's a blocked shot leading to an alley-oop finish (https://streamable.com/6hztl). Then he continued to torment the Knicks with a steal that led to a fast-break dunk (https://streamable.com/xmdv2). He was tremendous on both ends of the floor.

budwom
10-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I know it's so very very early in their careers, but I can see the Celts chuckling about taking Tatum in lieu of Fultz for years to come...in fact, they already are.

English
10-25-2017, 01:28 PM
He was just getting started. Here's a blocked shot leading to an alley-oop finish (https://streamable.com/6hztl). Then he continued to torment the Knicks with a steal that led to a fast-break dunk (https://streamable.com/xmdv2). He was tremendous on both ends of the floor.

There was a point in the game last night when Jayson Tatum & Jaylen Brown were outscoring the entire Knicks team, 34-33. Count me among Jayson's biggest fans, but even I didn't see this incredible start coming...of course, no one could possibly predict the Heyward thing, but still. Fantastic to watch.

Billy Dat
10-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Tatum had probably his best game as a pro...

...and that's partially why I am putting him atop the Week 1 Power Rankings!

1. Jayson Tatum - great first week in the league, starting for a probable play-off team (who cares if it's the East)
2. Quinn Cook - from late preseason cut to a spot with the Warriors. That deserves a big shout out.
3. Kyrie Irving - despite the fan flap and huge expectations, showed he's the best Dukie in the NBA
4. Austin Rivers - comes of injury, early top 20 ranked defender, gaudy +/- for the undefeated Clips
5. Brandon Ingram - under a serious microscope, starting and putting up 15 ppg despite criticism
6. JJ Redick - 32 mpg, 11 ppg, Sixers have a win, trust the process
7. Justise Winslow - Coming off the bench as the Heat makes sure he is OK
8. Luke Kennard - established himself as a rotation player for Stan Van in Week 1, no small feat
9. Tyus Jones - Like Luke, seems established in the rotation which is ok, for now.
10. Rodney Hood - would have been much higher but is already injured. Great first game and a half.
11. Mason Plumlee - interesting decision to sign as a free agent and only average 13 mpg, he has his work cut out for him
12. Lance Thomas - essentially out of the rotation for the lowly Knicks. Free Lance!
13. Luol Deng - Big money and little minutes, veteran on a youth movement squad. Tough spot for a competitor like him.
14. Jahlil Okafor - only playing when Embiid sits. Lots of chatter about his lack of shoring up his deficiencies. Free Jah!
15. Kyle Singler - not hurt, not active, in a suit..never thought his NBA career would turn out this way.

Everyone else is hurt and not playing.

JasonEvans
10-25-2017, 03:33 PM
2. Quinn Cook - from late preseason cut to a spot with the Warriors. That deserves a big shout out

Hey, it is great that Quinn is on the Warriors roster, but he is not really playing anything other than a mop up minute or two for them. He's not in their rotation. What's more, with a 2-way contract, he's probably going to spend the vast majority of this season with a D-League team. The 2-way contract limits the amount of time he can be on a NBA roster; the Warriors would have to cut someone like Omri Casspi to keep Quinn more than 45 days. That just doesn't seem likely at this point.

Still, nice for him to be making the most (money) out of his 2-way contract situation. Quinn is slowly clawing his way into the League. He made a little over $111k last season for New Orleans and Dallas. Depending on how long Golden State keeps him up with the team, he should be able to top that this season (he'll make $75k from the G-League and could make another $200k with the Warriors if he is up for the full 45 days). He's living the dream...

Mabdul Doobakus
10-25-2017, 05:14 PM
I'll admit I kind of saw Tatum as the classic guy who does everything well but nothing great kind of player who just ends up frustrating you because in the NBA there are superstars and there are role players and there is very little in between. I even thought he was picked a little too high.

Jury is still out, but I may end up being wrong on this one. I hope so. I don't think he's going to continue to shoot with the same efficiency, but he could drop off a little and still be having a great rookie season. I don't think a lot of guys go from shooting 34.2% on college 3 pointers to 45.5% on NBA 3 pointers the following season. But you never know. Josh Richardson did basically that with Miami.

ElSid
10-25-2017, 05:28 PM
I'll admit I kind of saw Tatum as the classic guy who does everything well but nothing great kind of player who just ends up frustrating you because in the NBA there are superstars and there are role players and there is very little in between. I even thought he was picked a little too high.

Jury is still out, but I may end up being wrong on this one. I hope so. I don't think he's going to continue to shoot with the same efficiency, but he could drop off a little and still be having a great rookie season. I don't think a lot of guys go from shooting 34.2% on college 3 pointers to 45.5% on NBA 3 pointers the following season. But you never know. Josh Richardson did basically that with Miami.

You're one of the lone contrarians here. I saw his lack of explosive athleticism as a risk, but his consistency with Duke last season outweighed that considerably. I think he's got All Star potential. 82 games is a lot, but Tatum plays under control, picks his spots well.

Add to this the news today that Boston expects he could grow another 2 or 3 inches and end up 6'10" or 6'11". That's a recipe for greatness, physically.

ElSid
10-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Hey, it is great that Quinn is on the Warriors roster, but he is not really playing anything other than a mop up minute or two for them. He's not in their rotation. What's more, with a 2-way contract, he's probably going to spend the vast majority of this season with a D-League team. The 2-way contract limits the amount of time he can be on a NBA roster; the Warriors would have to cut someone like Omri Casspi to keep Quinn more than 45 days. That just doesn't seem likely at this point.

Still, nice for him to be making the most (money) out of his 2-way contract situation. Quinn is slowly clawing his way into the League. He made a little over $111k last season for New Orleans and Dallas. Depending on how long Golden State keeps him up with the team, he should be able to top that this season (he'll make $75k from the G-League and could make another $200k with the Warriors if he is up for the full 45 days). He's living the dream...

C'mon! Just let us enjoy the moment for a while.

dukelifer
10-25-2017, 06:21 PM

He will likely hit a wall but he has already shown he can play at this level. The key will be managing the brutal schedule and learning how to compete during the playoffs when everything cranks up a notch or two. One thing that Tatum does really well is hit throws. He will get fouled and can be productive from the line. That is rare in a young player.

JasonEvans
10-25-2017, 08:41 PM
One thing that Tatum does really well is hit throws.

What's more, many NBA experts say that FT percentage is one of the better indicators of whether you can be a good 3-point shooter in the NBA. Guys who hit their FTs at a high rate typically develop into very good NBA 3-point shooters.

Jayson Tatum hit a gaudy 85% of his FTs at Duke. The NBA scouts saw that and figured he would probably develop into a strong threat from 3. Now, I am not saying his current percentage (45.5%) is sustainable (really small sample size on that), but I think expecting Tatum to eventually develop into something close to a 40% 3point shooter is not at all of a stretch.

-Jason "kid has a really, really bright future... I won't be surprised if he ends up the best among all the Duke guys currently in the NBA (currently Kyrie)" Evans

awhom111
10-25-2017, 09:43 PM

Don't forget the $100,000 he picked up from your Hawks!

I would actually not be surprised if one of the current members of the Warriors is not on the roster by the end of season (sorry Kevon Looney), but a veteran would probably be the first choice if a spot opens up.

BD80
10-25-2017, 09:51 PM
... Jayson Tatum ...

-Jason "kid has a really, really bright future... I won't be surprised if he ends up the best among all the Duke guys currently in the NBA (currently Kyrie)" Evans

Better than Marvin Bagley, RJ Barrett, Vernon Carey, and Isaiah Todd?

brlftz
10-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Really weird +/- from the Sixers game tonight. JJ and Simmons both started and played 34 minutes, but JJ came in with a +23 and Simmons ended with a -13. Doesn’t seem possible!

yancem
10-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Really weird +/- from the Sixers game tonight. JJ and Simmons both started and played 34 minutes, but JJ came in with a +23 and Simmons ended with a -13. Doesn’t seem possible!

Yeah, that is really bizarre.

LasVegas
10-25-2017, 11:42 PM
One thing I'll be keeping an eye on this season is Kyrie Irving's stats. He is basically doing worse or the same in almost every measurable category so far. Only 4 games in and all but it will be interesting to follow. If you want to be the man, you would assume that would include an increase in performance. We shall see! I'm rooting for him.

cato
10-26-2017, 12:01 AM

The Sixers seem very proud of themselves with their young talent, but it all seems a bit premature. Isn’t anyone concerned about their collection of young players who are great at putting up numbers, but have not been so great at winning?

luburch
10-26-2017, 07:19 AM
Would Quinn get a ring if the Warriors win the NBA Championship again? Assuming he plays in a few games throughout the season. A normal D/G-league player wouldn't, but he has a two way contract..

Mabdul Doobakus
10-26-2017, 08:48 AM
You're one of the lone contrarians here. I saw his lack of explosive athleticism as a risk, but his consistency with Duke last season outweighed that considerably. I think he's got All Star potential. 82 games is a lot, but Tatum plays under control, picks his spots well.

Add to this the news today that Boston expects he could grow another 2 or 3 inches and end up 6'10" or 6'11". That's a recipe for greatness, physically.

Yeah, I know. He just kind of reminded me of Michael Beasley. Versatile, athletic, etc, but again if you had to ask yourself the one thing he excelled at, it would be what? People always say things like he's got great ballhandling skills for a big man. Well, how useful is that really... But so far he's been great, and he's shooting more efficiently than I expected, and so I might be wrong. I probably am. And, of course, the biggest difference between him and Michael Beasley is that Michael Beasley is an idiot.

ElSid
10-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Yeah, I know. He just kind of reminded me of Michael Beasley. Versatile, athletic, etc, but again if you had to ask yourself the one thing he excelled at, it would be what? People always say things like he's got great ballhandling skills for a big man. Well, how useful is that really... But so far he's been great, and he's shooting more efficiently than I expected, and so I might be wrong. I probably am. And, of course, the biggest difference between him and Michael Beasley is that Michael Beasley is an idiot.

Last sentence is key. :)

Ya never can tell with anyone, but character and work ethic are strong indicators, and along with physical gifts it's just a matter of percentages and staying healthy. I'm also encouraged that the opinions of NBA players are pretty consistent about him...people who know expect him to be pretty darn good. Including some pretty savvy dudes in Ainge and Stevens.

I don't even root for teams anymore in the NBA, I just like watching these kinds of player development stories, especially the Dukies.

ElSid
10-26-2017, 11:59 AM
One thing I'll be keeping an eye on this season is Kyrie Irving's stats. He is basically doing worse or the same in almost every measurable category so far. Only 4 games in and all but it will be interesting to follow. If you want to be the man, you would assume that would include an increase in performance. We shall see! I'm rooting for him.

It's almost as if LeBron makes everyone around him better.

Gonna be an adjustment for Kyrie. He may never get back to where he was, but he'll be the man and his team could in fact be great. But LeBron really transcends.

jimsumner
10-26-2017, 12:01 PM

I think it's safe to say that Michael Beasley never maximized his gifts.

Furniture
10-26-2017, 01:34 PM

I think it’s more than just stats. I watched the Celtics game in Charlotte and he was the first guy off the bench talking to the team as they came off for time outs. He was the one talking in the huddle. He was noticeably stepping up his leadership role to me.

Troublemaker
10-26-2017, 01:40 PM
It's almost as if LeBron makes everyone around him better.

Gonna be an adjustment for Kyrie. He may never get back to where he was, but he'll be the man and his team could in fact be great. But LeBron really transcends.

Oh, come on, now. When a player goes to a new team with a new system with completely different teammates, he's not going to set the world on fire right away.

Lebron knows all about that with his first Miami team.

Let's give Kyrie a month and see where he's at then

flyingdutchdevil
10-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Oh, come on, now. When a player goes to a new team with a new system with completely different teammates, he's not going to set the world on fire right away.

Lebron knows all about that with his first Miami team.

I agree. I have noticed that Kyrie is trying harder on D and passing the ball more (with mixed results).

His offense is okay, but I believe that is a product of the youngins getting integrated into the system and having 11 new teammates moreso than "no Lebron".

But is Kyrie more effective with Lebron than without him? I am 99% confident the answer is yes. Because 99% of players are more effective when Lebron is your teammate (sorry Kevin Love. You are part of the 1%).

ElSid
10-26-2017, 03:06 PM
But is Kyrie more effective with Lebron than without him? I am 99% confident the answer is yes. Because 99% of players are more effective when Lebron is your teammate (sorry Kevin Love. You are part of the 1%).

This is the main point. Of course, give people more than 4 or 5 games before judgment, but chances are great Kyrie might not match his efficiency or effectiveness from the couple good seasons in Cleveland. No knock on him, it's just a fact.

ElSid
10-26-2017, 03:12 PM

Can't wait! Odds are he's not as good statistically as when he played with LeBron. True of basically every player in the league. Every basketball commentator suggested Kyrie's stats would probably take a dip. Gonna be an adjustment. We predicted that, and 4 games in we're seeing it. Doesn't matter, of course, but it's not some outlandish thing to say.

LasVegas
10-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Adding to the kyrie Irving talk today, he is worried about the replica Mecca court they will be playing on tonight against the bucks. Stated that it is a pretty old floor with a fresh coat of paint. When a reporter stated that it was a new floor, he doubled down and talked about how it took him 3 seconds to realize that it’s differnt from the other nba courts he has been on. He sure does exhibit some strange behavior.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21170509/celtics-guard-kyrie-irving-reservations-milwaukee-bucks-replica-floor

Billy Dat
10-26-2017, 10:35 PM
I agree. I have noticed that Kyrie is trying harder on D and passing the ball more (with mixed results). .

I have noticed his passing this season and think he has been doing a really good job finding guys, especially tonight.

As for Kyrie’s comments about the Mecca floor and his general weirdness with the media, a lot of people think it’s a strange trolling penchant he has. He seems like a pretty quirky guy all around, definitey not your run of the mill NBA player.

Semi played some good D on Giannis in short spurts.

Philadukie
10-26-2017, 10:40 PM
I have noticed his passing this season and think he has been doing a really good job finding guys, especially tonight.

As for Kyrie’s comments about the Mecca floor and his general weirdness with the media, a lot of people think it’s a strange trolling penchant he has. He seems like a pretty quirky guy all around, definitey not your run of the mill NBA player.

Semi played some good D on Giannis in short spurts.

I thought Kyrie played great tonight. His passing was superb, especially to Horford, whom he found on several nice kickouts for open 3’s. Their chemistry is really developing.

moonpie23
10-26-2017, 11:15 PM
I thought Kyrie played great tonight. His passing was superb, especially to Horford, whom he found on several nice kickouts for open 3’s. Their chemistry is really developing.

horford was off the chain.......kyrie is working his way into a new role...

JetpackJesus
10-27-2017, 05:02 AM

Lance Thomas went from shooting 0% on 3 pointers in college to shooting 41% on 3 pointers in the NBA.
*EDIT: Source = Wikipedia

JetpackJesus
10-27-2017, 05:06 AM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21174448

moonpie23
10-27-2017, 07:27 AM
actaully, i thought getting out of the double team (2nd clip in that video) was pretty amazing as well...

BandAlum83
10-27-2017, 11:20 AM
Is there a way to pin the roster of current Dukies and their teams to the top of this thread? I can't keep them all straight.

elvis14
10-27-2017, 01:31 PM
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21174448

Always good to see the smaller players block shots.

ElSid
10-27-2017, 01:41 PM
I think this was Kyrie's best game, against the Bucks. The move on Giannis was otherworldly. Great passing, aggressive D. Starting to come together.

Tatum again played under control and had an efficient game. Very impressed with how comfortable he seems out there.

Every game breaks my heart a little that we didn't get a chance to see Hayward with this group. While that is good news for Tatum's playing time, it deprives us the chance to see how good they could have been.

Giannis got MIP last year but he should probably get it again this year, at this rate, if not MVP.

construe
10-27-2017, 01:54 PM
actaully, i thought getting out of the double team (2nd clip in that video) was pretty amazing as well...

And, as an added cherry on top, he got the shot up over John Henson! :D

ice-9
10-27-2017, 04:00 PM
Can't wait! Odds are he's not as good statistically as when he played with LeBron. True of basically every player in the league. Every basketball commentator suggested Kyrie's stats would probably take a dip. Gonna be an adjustment. We predicted that, and 4 games in we're seeing it. Doesn't matter, of course, but it's not some outlandish thing to say.

Here’s my prediction:

Kyrie won’t be as efficient with the Celtics as he was when playing with LeBron on the Cavs.

But he will be more efficient with the Celtics as he was when playing without LeBron on the Cavs.

That’s for this season and probably the next. After, he has a chance to be a more effective player because he actually gets to handle the ball and direct the team, vs just asking to play iso over and over again

COYS
10-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Here’s my prediction:

Kyrie won’t be as efficient with the Celtics as he was when playing with LeBron on the Cavs.

But he will be more efficient with the Celtics as he was when playing without LeBron on the Cavs.

That’s for this season and probably the next. After, he has a chance to be a more effective player because he actually gets to handle the ball and direct the team, vs just asking to play iso over and over again

It would be cool if Kyrie is able to transform himself into a truly elite offensive player the way James Harden has over the years after his trade to Houston.

sagegrouse
10-27-2017, 05:26 PM
It would be cool if Kyrie is able to transform himself into a truly elite offensive player the way James Harden has over the years after his trade to Houston.

I have been somewhat unsympathetic to the "anti-Kyrie" knocks on this board in the past, all aimed at his defense. I couldn't put my finger on why I disagreed. Then I remembered leadership advice I once heard -- a person succeeds most often by emphasizing or enhancing his or her strengths rather than by minimizing or remedying weaknesses. Kyrie is close to being a truly elite offensive player. Sure, he needs to play defense, but his contribution to his team will be as an unstoppable offensive force.

ElSid
10-27-2017, 05:44 PM
I think averaging 20+ ppg and hitting a game winning shot for a championship already puts him in the elite offensive player category, but he's seen (wrongly, IMO) as a Garfunkle to James's Simon. Agree he's got a chance to establish himself as a true franchise player. I have some doubts, but games like last night are promising. Horford finally finding some rhythm made a big difference.

Kyrie is better and playing with better players (and coach) in Boston so I'd agree he'll be better than pre-LeBron Cleveland.

Have NEVER come close to being a fan of the Celtics or anything about Boston, but with Tatum and Kyrie there with a dynamic coach in Stevens, it's a really exciting team.

Wish we could get Jahlil up there somehow.

ElSid
10-27-2017, 06:25 PM
I have been somewhat unsympathetic to the "anti-Kyrie" knocks on this board in the past, all aimed at his defense. I couldn't put my finger on why I disagreed. Then I remembered leadership advice I once heard -- a person succeeds most often by emphasizing or enhancing his or her strengths rather than by minimizing or remedying weaknesses. Kyrie is close to being a truly elite offensive player. Sure, he needs to play defense, but his contribution to his team will be as an unstoppable offensive force.

Works for most people, but if your goal is to be considered a top 10 player in the NBA, the standards are different. Kyrie might not have the physical tools to be a truly great defender in the NBA, but Chris Paul doesn't really either. I think Paul is a bit overrated as a defender, but he's tenacious and great at positioning. Kryie could take a cue from him.

Also Jahlil Okafor could probably stand to improve some deficiencies. Gotta adjust to the job market, in a way. This summer was a good start but it sucks to see him with so many DNP Coach's Decisions already.

Point isn't to knock someone for the sake of it. But if your stated goal is to be a truly elite player, it's fair to question defense. Heck, I think even Steph Curry's unanimous MVP season was a little bit in question because he isn't the two way player LeBron is. But that particular year was so unbelievably good, maybe it makes sense.

slower
10-28-2017, 03:44 PM
And, as an added cherry on top, he got the shot up over John Henson! :D

Now, if only Justise had been there to...ah, never mind. :p

Furniture
10-28-2017, 11:23 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Quinn-Cook-reunites-with-big-brother-Kevin-12309964.php

“I was so excited, man, especially for him,” Durant said. “I know how hard he’s worked. I’m just happy we’re going to be doing life together and playing in the NBA together. It’s a dream come true for both of us. It’s amazing.”

Furniture
10-28-2017, 11:35 PM
https://thesixersense.com/2017/10/28/philadelphia-76ers-ruining-jahlil-okafor/

looks like this time Jahill is going to be traded.

awhom111
10-29-2017, 12:16 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/warriors/article/Quinn-Cook-reunites-with-big-brother-Kevin-12309964.php

“I was so excited, man, especially for him,” Durant said. “I know how hard he’s worked. I’m just happy we’re going to be doing life together and playing in the NBA together. It’s a dream come true for both of us. It’s amazing.”

Quinn was with the big club on Friday, so that's the first day towards his 45 day clock for those counting.

juise
10-29-2017, 01:07 AM
Kyrie and Jayson both go for 20+ against the heat. Kyrie does his thing in the clutch. This clip (https://youtu.be/kcv9dPP6b68) ends with: "That's why he's Kyrie Irving."

LasVegas
10-29-2017, 03:33 AM
Kyrie and Jayson both go for 20+ against the heat. Kyrie does his thing in the clutch. This clip (https://youtu.be/kcv9dPP6b68) ends with: "That's why he's Kyrie Irving."

Except Tatum scored 20 off of 6-9 shooting and Kyrie scored 24 while going 10-23.
Kyrie still seems to be trying to find his stroke.

Reilly
10-29-2017, 06:15 AM
.., Then I remembered leadership advice I once heard -- a person succeeds most often by emphasizing or enhancing his or her strengths rather than by minimizing or remedying weaknesses. ...

Do you believe this is true? It seems eliminating or minimizing the negative can be hugely important to success.

Cut has his numbers as to how many drives result in points when there are no negative plays vs how many result in points if the negative plays still exist.

And I look at it as that which I'm strongest at is always there and shining through with not much effort on my part, so I should work a bit on the weaknesses to get even better results.

Perhaps the advice you quote is true on some level -- have the PG dribble rather than working on team weakness and having oafish C do the dribbling. But that seems more related to right person for job rather than not working on weakness. And I guess the advice is true in the sense that most of us on DBR succeed/have more money/whatever by spending
time on what we're good at (our job) rather than spending time working out trying to make the NBA. I guess I see the wisdom with raising kids -- want the kids to be happy and thrive so emphasize the strengths; that said, stick-to-it-tiveness can be a great trait so work on weaknesses to be an even more competent human with a chance to thrive overall.

Thanks for giving something to think about. I guess I see it as there are certain minimum elements one needs for certain goals, and if weak and not meeting the minimum in a required element, better work on that weakness as it's a needed part.

sagegrouse
10-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Do you believe this is true? It seems eliminating or minimizing the negative can be hugely important to success.

I do. A great salesman, who is a somewhat indifferent day-to-day manager, can become a great CEO. He continues as a great salesman and puts together a team to handle day-to-day matters.

Colin Powell's autobiography talks about his experience in Korea with General "Gunfighter" Emerson, who was a highly emotional leader and rather short on details. As Colin said, you need a "visionary" and then a "whip hand" to make it happen. And then there is a third person -- a "chaplain" (whether ordained or not)-- to deal with basically making the human side work.

IMHO (where the H went AWOL when shipped to Korea), Kyrie can become one of the great players on the planet without being a lock-down defender.

BD80
10-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Except Tatum scored 20 off of 6-9 shooting and Kyrie scored 24 while going 10-23.
Kyrie still seems to be trying to find his stroke.

23 shots?

Seems like he is looking everywhere for his stroke ...

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2017, 09:31 AM
23 shots?

Seems like he is looking everywhere for his stroke ...

23 shots is not an absurd amount of shots and 10-23 FGs is 43.5%, which isn't bad either. 10-23 for 24 pts isn't even a pedestrian game, it's pretty decent. Not sure why you would try to give him grief for those sorts of stats when he's had other games that were much worse.

ice-9
10-29-2017, 11:27 AM
More importantly, look at where the Celtics are. After losing the first two, no doubt in large part due to Hayward's injury, the Celtics have won four in a row with Kyrie as its unquestioned leader.

There are people here who doubted Kyrie's ability to lead a team and win without LeBron and I hope these early results have given them pause to reconsider.

The haters may say it's more Tatum and Brown than Kyrie, but before the season started would you expect those two guys to be more effective than proven vets like Shumpert and Smith?

Morris and Smart were injured, so this Celtics team can be even better than what we've seen so far.

LasVegas
10-29-2017, 11:39 AM
More importantly, look at where the Celtics are. After losing the first two, no doubt in large part due to Hayward's injury, the Celtics have won four in a row with Kyrie as its unquestioned leader.

There are people here who doubted Kyrie's ability to lead a team and win without LeBron and I hope these early results have given them pause to reconsider.

The haters may say it's more Tatum and Brown than Kyrie, but before the season started would you expect those two guys to be more effective than proven vets like Shumpert and Smith?

Morris and Smart were injured, so this Celtics team can be even better than what we've seen so far.

As a cavs fan, I can without a question say I would rather have Tatum and brown vs shump and Smith. They aren’t particularly effective anymore it seems.

BigZ
10-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Is Luke hurt or did he get sent to DLeague?

ice-9
10-29-2017, 09:21 PM
As a cavs fan, I can without a question say I would rather have Tatum and brown vs shump and Smith. They aren’t particularly effective anymore it seems.

Yes, you can say that now.

The general consensus on this board before the season started was that the Cavs would be better than the Celtics this season; that Irving would miss the Cavs more than the Cavs would miss Irving.

Even without Hayward (and Morris and Smart) that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I'm happy for Irving.

LasVegas
10-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Yes, you can say that now.

The general consensus on this board before the season started was that the Cavs would be better than the Celtics this season; that Irving would miss the Cavs more than the Cavs would miss Irving.

Even without Hayward (and Morris and Smart) that doesn't seem to be the case so far.

I'm happy for Irving.

The cavs will end up winning the East again. I can almost guarantee it. Once IT gets back on the court and people find roles. And before the season even started I would of taken Tatum and brown over shump and JR. It would of taken me 0.00001 seconds to make that decision

sagegrouse
10-29-2017, 09:50 PM

Yep. Emphasize your strengths and compensate for your weaknesses. It's not a matter of ignoring the weaknesses -- just don't forget what one is good at.

ice-9
10-29-2017, 11:26 PM
The cavs will end up winning the East again. I can almost guarantee it. Once IT gets back on the court and people find roles. And before the season even started I would of taken Tatum and brown over shump and JR. It would of taken me 0.00001 seconds to make that decision

Out of curiosity, would you have preferred Crowder + Shump + JR or Brown + Tatum for one season only?

awhom111
10-29-2017, 11:50 PM
Is Luke hurt or did he get sent to DLeague?

Simply inactive since Reggie Bullock is back so he is the one player who is not dressing. The Pistons are pretty proactive with using the G League so if they continue to have more than 13 available players, I would not be surprised to see him get the occasional assignment.

brlftz
10-30-2017, 04:18 AM
Simply inactive since Reggie Bullock is back so he is the one player who is not dressing. The Pistons are pretty proactive with using the G League so if they continue to have more than 13 available players, I would not be surprised to see him get the occasional assignment.

wow, so reggie bullock is more valuable in their estimation than luke kennard. i have to admit i haven't actually watched bullock play lately, but that's surprising to me. bullock is not at a point where he's getting better or is important to the future.

CameronBlue
10-30-2017, 08:57 AM
wow, so reggie bullock is more valuable in their estimation than luke kennard. i have to admit i haven't actually watched bullock play lately, but that's surprising to me. bullock is not at a point where he's getting better or is important to the future.

Could this merely be a statement as to how important defense is in the NBA? Bullock has been in the league for 4 years and I'm sure he understands defense better than Luke at this point. Honestly I was shocked that Luke came out early but then again his physical liabilities will not improve with age. He needs time to adapt and he's not valuable enough on offense to warrant court time.

flyingdutchdevil
10-30-2017, 08:59 AM

1. SvG hates rookies. 2. SvG hates inept defenders.

Kennard is both. Kennard needs to focus on defense.

Billy Dat
10-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Could this merely be a statement as to how important defense is in the NBA? Bullock has been in the league for 4 years and I'm sure he understands defense better than Luke at this point. Honestly I was shocked that Luke came out early but then again his physical liabilities will not improve with age. He needs time to adapt and he's not valuable enough on offense to warrant court time.

At 5-2 with some great recent wins, the Pistons are one of the early surprises of the year.

1. SvG hates rookies. 2. SvG hates inept defenders.

Kennard is both. Kennard needs to focus on defense.

Stan has been complementary of Luke, but your words ring true. His team is atop the East, he's definitely a defense-first coach, it may be time for Luke to torch the G-League.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Having watched Tatum basically the full game against the Miami Heat, I don't think there's any question he's going to be a star in this league. His skill set seems to have developed significantly since I last saw him in a Duke uniform, and frankly looks better against NBA defenders than he ever did in college. And I'm not saying he didn't look really good at times in college, but he was blowing by Heat defenders with ease.

DangerDevil
10-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Having watched Tatum basically the full game against the Miami Heat, I don't think there's any question he's going to be a star in this league. His skill set seems to have developed significantly since I last saw him in a Duke uniform, and frankly looks better against NBA defenders than he ever did in college. And I'm not saying he didn't look really good at times in college, but he was blowing by Heat defenders with ease.

SI's Jeremy Woo agrees with you that Tatum already looks surprisingly better than he did at Duke.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/30/celtics-jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-gordon-hayward-injury

"As for Tatum, well, his instant viability has been more surprising. We knew that he could and would be able to score at a high level, and the advanced footwork and offensive instincts have carried over nicely. He’s shooting 50% from the field and looking bouncier and more nimble than he did at Duke. Although his set-shot mechanics from three are a little awkward, they look repeatable and passable. Also: he’s frickin’ 19! Tatum can still be a ball-stopper, and the disease of Trying to Do Too Much may yet ensnare him on the offensive end. The Celtics have actually been significantly more efficient scoring the ball when he’s off the floor. But these are growing pains, and the Celtics will take what they’re getting from him. Also, watch at least the first 30 seconds of this mix below, because Tim Hardaway Jr. gets got.

Much like with Brown, the most eye-opening factor has been Tatum’s defensive effort. He’s looked focused and has not been the liability many expected. Playing with Brown and Smart means the Celtics can effectively control Tatum’s matchups, and he can commit to rebounding, using his length and staying within his means. Tatum has never been known for his defense, dating back to high school, but to be fair, he’s also never been asked to do much of it. He wasn’t awful in college, averaging more than a steal and block per game, but those numbers aren’t always indicative of defensive competence and how it translates to the complexities of the next level. Brown’s high-end defensive cover skills look like a perfect complement, and Tatum has the luxury of easing himself into Boston’s schemes. Remember, of course, that the Celtics were able to move down and receive a first-round pick to get him."

JasonEvans
10-30-2017, 04:50 PM
It is early... really early... but right now the race for NBA Rookie of the Year is a close contest between Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, and Lonzo Ball. Kyle Kuzma, John Collins, and maybe Dennis Smith or De'Arron Fox are also in the conversation.

But, Tatum is different from all the rest of these guys because he is doing it on an actually good team. Getting playing time and stats on the Bull, Lakers, Hawks, Mavs, and Kings isn't nearly as impressive as doing it for a legit NBA Finals contender.

If there was a vote today, I think Ball might have a small edge because there has been so much hype surrounding him, but I suspect Tatum might pull it out. Tatum is crushing all the other rookies in the advanced stats like Win Shares and VORP and he is a super efficient player thanks to a high shooting percentage at the line and from 3.

-Jason "Boston is laughing hysterically at Philly for giving up a future #1 and still allowing the Celtics to get the guy they wanted" Evans

brlftz
10-30-2017, 04:56 PM
It is early... really early... but right now the race for NBA Rookie of the Year is a close contest between Jayson Tatum, Lauri Markkanen, and Lonzo Ball...

Isn't Ben Simmons eligible? I'd say he's a pretty strong front runner if so.

fraggler
10-30-2017, 05:06 PM

Pretty sure he is on both accounts.

DangerDevil
10-30-2017, 05:18 PM
-Jason "Boston is laughing hysterically at Philly for giving up a future #1 and still allowing the Celtics to get the guy they wanted" Evans

And the Celtics saved roughly $1.15M in salary by moving from the 1st pick to the 3rd pick.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

JasonEvans
10-30-2017, 06:09 PM

I'm an idiot... yes, Simmons is unquestionably the front-runner.

brlftz
10-30-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm an idiot... yes, Simmons is unquestionably the front-runner.

Well, he is kind of a special case, and if it was just this year’s draft class I’d say you’re absolutely right. Tatum’s been the best so far I think.

CoachJ10
10-30-2017, 08:24 PM
An update on #freeJahlil?

Duke95
10-30-2017, 08:46 PM
Kyrie is absolutely brilliant tonight against the Spurs. Not only scoring with an array of moves, but his passing has been just superb.

He's playing excellent defense as well.

Philadukie
10-30-2017, 10:50 PM
Kyrie is absolutely brilliant tonight against the Spurs. Not only scoring with an array of moves, but his passing has been just superb.

I watched him very closely, and it’s hard to describe how good he was tonight. Almost every shot, every pass, every dribble was done with precision and purpose - and great efficiency and maturity. He looked like a pro in complete control of his craft.

Although his basic stats might not show it, he is playing better right now than he did with the Cavs.

If he keeps playing this way, he will be a top 10 player in the League this year.

He’s the reason they are 5-2 right now without Hayward.

LasVegas
10-31-2017, 12:48 AM
Although his basic stats might not show it, he is playing better right now than he did with the Cavs. .

I didn’t watch the game but that’s a pretty bold statement. Irving had some brilliant games as a cav. Not to mention the last few games of the 2016 finals.

Philadukie
10-31-2017, 07:27 AM
I didn’t watch the game but that’s a pretty bold statement. Irving had some brilliant games as a cav. Not to mention the last few games of the 2016 finals.

But I think this is consistent with my point. Kyrie was knocked as a minus player last year when he was on the floor without LeBron, despite whatever amazing drives/scores and passes he was making.

Right now, watching him closely, he seems at a different level, even if his scoring (or other stats) end up fewer.

JasonEvans
10-31-2017, 09:33 AM

And there's a sentence I never thought I would read about Kyrie. Here's more from the AP writeup of the game (http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=400974843).

Irving also had three steals and a blocked shot, and coach Brad Stevens praised his defense.

"You can tell he's getting more comfortable every time he takes the floor," Stevens said.

-Jason "the Irving trade is the most controversial move the Celtics have made under Ainge... starting to look like Danny boy knew what he was doing" Evans

superdave
10-31-2017, 09:39 AM
An update on #freeJahlil?

Ringer article on Okafor's plummeting trade value - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/27/16562378/jahlil-okafor-eric-bledsoe-sixers-suns-trade-sagas

Sat line for the SEASON - 1 game, 22 minutes, 10 pts, 9 boards, 6 DNP (did not play).

Ouch. His attitude and maturity are off, but the organization should be getting him minutes to increase his trade value.

DukieInBrasil
10-31-2017, 09:53 AM
Ringer article on Okafor's plummeting trade value - https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/10/27/16562378/jahlil-okafor-eric-bledsoe-sixers-suns-trade-sagas
Sat line for the SEASON - 1 game, 22 minutes, 10 pts, 9 boards, 6 DNP (did not play).
Ouch. His attitude and maturity are off, but the organization should be getting him minutes to increase his trade value.

his ESPN bio says he was held out of Saturday's game due to illness. Whether that lingered until last night is unknown.
Philadelphia is setting the standard for stupidest franchise. They got absolutely owned by Boston in the trade of draft picks, and they're not even willing to use their #3 overall pick from just 2 years ago, even though he's at the bare minimum a serviceable player on a terrible team. Their unwillingness to use him makes him virtually untrade-able after they traded away their other C (Noel) who does what they claim to want (defense), while they held on to the guy who doesn't do defense (Jahlil) when he did have trade value. They're being run by morons, or at least their vision for how to deal with Okafor is moronic.

Afa the others from 2015 draft class from Duke go, Tyus Jones's stats are down across the board as he transitions into the main backup PG role. It's early yet, but he's not delivering what was expected of him so far. Justise on the otoh, is playing well enough. He's moved from the starting lineup to the bench so a lot of his bulk stats are down, but his FG% is strong although he still can't shoot from 3, and he's only attempted 2 FTs on the year.

English
10-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Afa the others from 2015 draft class from Duke go, Tyus Jones's stats are down across the board as he transitions into the main backup PG role. It's early yet, but he's not delivering what was expected of him so far. Justise on the otoh, is playing well enough. He's moved from the starting lineup to the bench so a lot of his bulk stats are down, but his FG% is strong although he still can't shoot from 3, and he's only attempted 2 FTs on the year.

What was expected of Tyus that he's not delivering?

DukieInBrasil
10-31-2017, 11:42 AM
What was expected of Tyus that he's not delivering?

FG shooting (31.3%), 3FG shooting (16.7%), assists (1.9) and a/to (~2:1) are all WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY down from last year. I don't know what specific numbers he/T'wolves were expecting, but i'm pretty sure retrogression was not the expectation.
As i said, it's early yet, so i'm fairly confident that these numbers won't represent much more than normal variation towards the low end over a 7 game stretch for the course of the season. Still, it's nearly 10% of the season, so it's not like it's an entirely meaningless stretch.

Mabdul Doobakus
10-31-2017, 12:58 PM
his ESPN bio says he was held out of Saturday's game due to illness. Whether that lingered until last night is unknown.
Philadelphia is setting the standard for stupidest franchise. They got absolutely owned by Boston in the trade of draft picks, and they're not even willing to use their #3 overall pick from just 2 years ago, even though he's at the bare minimum a serviceable player on a terrible team. Their unwillingness to use him makes him virtually untrade-able after they traded away their other C (Noel) who does what they claim to want (defense), while they held on to the guy who doesn't do defense (Jahlil) when he did have trade value. They're being run by morons, or at least their vision for how to deal with Okafor is moronic.

I don't know...I watched the Heat/Wolves game last night. Tyus gave very solid minutes, particularly in the first half. The Heat broadcasting team referred to him as a "menace" defensively. Was weird watching him and Winslow on opposite teams on the floor at the same time.

Winslow, for what it's worth, has put together 2 of his better games, and has done a good job finishing at the basket the last two games, which is something he REALLY needs to do consistently to be a starter in this league.

DukieInBrasil
10-31-2017, 01:28 PM
I don't know...I watched the Heat/Wolves game last night. Tyus gave very solid minutes, particularly in the first half. The Heat broadcasting team referred to him as a "menace" defensively. Was weird watching him and Winslow on opposite teams on the floor at the same time.
Winslow, for what it's worth, has put together 2 of his better games, and has done a good job finishing at the basket the last two games, which is something he REALLY needs to do consistently to be a starter in this league.

Last night was Tyus's first decent game of the year, and also the only 3 he's made all year. A 6-game slump isn't too much to get too worked up about, and perhaps game 7 will be more indicative of his performance this year. Up until last night, and even including last night's stats, Tyus had not been playing at a high level.

Billy Dat
10-31-2017, 02:05 PM
Their vision for how to deal with Okafor is moronic.

I think, aside from Jah, the Philly front office has been ok. Naturally, what we are watching is the product of 2 different front offices - Hinkie and Colangelo. Why Hinkie drafted Jah is beyond me, considering how much of 3/FT/lay-up and great D proponent he was. They could have had Porzingis. I still feel like whomever proactively pursues Jah, where he's not just lumped into a trade to make $s work, will be a real litmus test. If it's a really smart team with great culture and player development, he'll have a chance to maximize himself. Or, he could wind up in Phoenix...

I don't know...I watched the Heat/Wolves game last night. Tyus gave very solid minutes, particularly in the first half. The Heat broadcasting team referred to him as a "menace" defensively.

Last night was Tyus's first decent game of the year, and also the only 3 he's made all year. A 6-game slump isn't too much to get too worked up about, and perhaps game 7 will be more indicative of his performance this year. Up until last night, and even including last night's stats, Tyus had not been playing at a high level.

It's tough to judge Tyus on stats because the eye test shows him to be better. I've watched half of his games this year and thought he played best in games where his stats didn't show it. He does all the things you'd expect..moves the ball, is in the right position of D, etc. However, if I had to criticize, he doesn't shoot when he's open. I have seen him pass up way too many open 3s. Also, when he's forced to guard really fast guards, I've seen teams pick on him by spreading out and letting guys try and blow by him...which the really quick ones can do with ease. Most times he's playing back-up point guards which helps, but I saw him getting roasted by Darren Collison. Maybe he can be considered an under-performed because he was a first round pick, but I think he's about where he should be in his development. He'll keep getting stronger, and I think he'll keep getting better.

Mabdul, you are a Heat follower, right? Are they bringing him along slow because of he's coming off those surgeries or do they like him better off the bench with James Johnson and Richardson starting?

Here's Ira Winderman on Spo seeming to be happy with Justise's progress
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-news-mon-s20171030-story.html

Mabdul Doobakus
10-31-2017, 02:59 PM
Mabdul, you are a Heat follower, right? Are they bringing him along slow because of he's coming off those surgeries or do they like him better off the bench with James Johnson and Richardson starting?

Here's Ira Winderman on Spo seeming to be happy with Justise's progress
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/fl-sp-miami-heat-news-mon-s20171030-story.html

Well, he's playing 24.5 MPG, which isn't so bad consider he's coming off of a season-ending injury. He looked pretty lost through most of the preseason too. The other thing is the Heat won't necessarily start their best players, and it's more about who closes games than who starts them. Luke Babbitt started 55 games last year and averaged 15 minutes. Jordan Mickey and Bam Adebayo have both started games this year, and neither saw significant 4th quarter minutes until Adebayo last night. Winslow, on the other hand, has played plenty down the stretch.

Also, the Heat's 2nd half turnaround last year coincided with Winslow's injury when they made significant changes in their style of play, doing the whole pace and space thing, and shooting tons of 3's. Winslow isn't a great fit for that style of play, and so for that reason may fit in better with the second unit.

I think his minutes will continue to increase if he continues to finish at the rim and if Josh Richardson and Tyler Johnson continue to shoot poorly and turn the ball over. I also would prefer they give Winslow more minutes at the point. It's a small sample size but he has the best assist-to-turnover ratio on the team and is the only player right now not making idiotic passes on a regular basis. 19 and 24 turnovers the last two nights. Yeesh. He's effective driving and creating, less so waiting in the wings for a shot.

Billy Dat
10-31-2017, 03:16 PM
RE: Jah's 4th year team option

@BobbyMarks42
Question in Philadelphia comes down to: Does Jahlil Okafor have more trade value on an expiring contract or with a $6.3M salary in 18-19?

flyingdutchdevil
10-31-2017, 03:34 PM
RE: Jah's 4th year team option

@BobbyMarks42
Question in Philadelphia comes down to: Does Jahlil Okafor have more trade value on an expiring contract or with a $6.3M salary in 18-19?

Wow. Wow.

That's how Philly (and likely the league) view Jahlil as a trade asset? $6.3M? Al Jefferson is making $9.8M and he's 11 older than Jah. Given, Al Jefferson looks like he's trying when he's out there.

Philly - just offload him to the Celtics for their 2018 Draft Pick. It's that easy.

Duke79UNLV77
10-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Wow. Wow.

That's how Philly (and likely the league) view Jahlil as a trade asset? $6.3M? Al Jefferson is making $9.8M and he's 11 older than Jah. Given, Al Jefferson looks like he's trying when he's out there.

Philly - just offload him to the Celtics for their 2018 Draft Pick. It's that easy.

I think there is a fair amount of group think going on here. Sure, Jah has issues, but players who can average 17 ppg (higher than that before injuries) as a rookie one year removed from high school don't just grown on trees. His losing 20 pounds on the offseason also is real evidence that he's putting in work. Free Jah!

Truth&Justise
10-31-2017, 07:25 PM

Curious what you mean by that. Here's what Brett Brown, 76ers coach had to say:

"I'm playing Amir ahead of him that's just the situation. He doesn't let people know, he comes in, his head's good, his spirit's good, and he and I talk all the time. But that is the bottom line, he is not in the rotation," said Brown last week. "It's happened over the preseason and that's been my decision of how I'm playing it now."
(Source (http://www.phillyvoice.com/source-sixers-will-not-pick-jahlil-okafors-fourth-year-option/))

Working hard and not complaining-- sounds like a professional.

fraggler
10-31-2017, 08:23 PM
Well they declined his option so unless he gets traded, he will be free to find a new home with a team that actually wants to develop him next summer.

ElSid
10-31-2017, 09:33 PM
Well they declined his option so unless he gets traded, he will be free to find a new home with a team that actually wants to develop him next summer.

Hopefully sooner. He could seek a contract buyout and go somewhere asap. Plenty of people could use a player like him. Would love to see a quality organization pick him up.

CptHindsight
11-01-2017, 01:03 AM
Ideal case, Jahlil gets a buyout for this season and gets to sign with any team he choses.

So so case, Jahlil gets traded to a team with either minutes for him or staff willing to develop and work with him. It is so so because he could end up on a disaster team like the Bulls whose fans seem receptive to taking a flyer on a hometown kid.

Worst case, Jahlil is stuck on the Sixers for the rest of the year and gets 0 playtime. He becomes a free agent after the season and can sign with anyone.

I am pleased that he Sixers front office has granted him contractual freedom.

Billy Dat
11-01-2017, 12:56 PM
Shea Serrano on Kyrie's weirdness
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/11/1/16588986/nba-weirdness-kyrie-irving-demarcus-cousins-lebron-james-halloween-pennywise

Dukehky
11-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Ideal case, Jahlil gets a buyout for this season and gets to sign with any team he choses.

So so case, Jahlil gets traded to a team with either minutes for him or staff willing to develop and work with him. It is so so because he could end up on a disaster team like the Bulls whose fans seem receptive to taking a flyer on a hometown kid.

Worst case, Jahlil is stuck on the Sixers for the rest of the year and gets 0 playtime. He becomes a free agent after the season and can sign with anyone.

I am pleased that he Sixers front office has granted him contractual freedom.

Bryan Colangelo is a clown.

#freejahlil.

Billy Dat
11-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Updated Power Rankings...

1. Kyrie Irving...looking better and better for the Celtics who went undefeated this week, he continues to revel in his "quirkiness"
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-star-kyrie-irving-expounds-on-his-controversial-flat-earth-beliefs/

2. Jayson Tatum...gaudy shooting from the field/3/FT line, 6 boards a game, along with Jaylen Brown is inspiring lots of "future is now" pieces
https://www.si.com/nba/2017/10/30/celtics-jaylen-brown-jayson-tatum-gordon-hayward-injury

3. Brandon Ingram...filling up the stat sheet, needs to improve that 3pt % but more consistent game to game.. Coach Walton noticed
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luke-walton-raves-about-brandon-ingram-after-win-over-pistons/2017/11/01/

4. Rodney Hood...he's back, sure to rise up this chart if he keeps playing like he did Monday against Dallas
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865692007/Rodney-Hood-shows-he-can-be-go-to-guy-in-Utah7s-win-over-Dallas.html

5. Austin Rivers...bad team loss to the Warriors a few days back obscures continued steady play, nearly 3 steals per game..maybe P. Bev is rubbing off on him
http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-report-20171030-story.html

6. Justise Winslow...tough week for the Heat, but Justise is coming along. Spo says he likes his increased quickness due to weight loss.

7. Mason Plumlee...not much behind Justise in production, but one senses his ceiling is lower on this squad. Here's an article looking at his pairing with Jocic
https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/10/31/16581220/breakdown-of-the-joki-plumlee-pairing

8. Tyus Jones...has continued to appear in each game, but this article is damning about the TWolves bench and Tyus' role on it. I've been saying he passes the eye test, but maybe the eye test is deceiving me...
http://www.startribune.com/inside-the-numbers-the-mysterious-suddenly-clutch-timberwolves/454301533/

9. Lance Thomas...Hornacek's rotation has been all over the place, Lance played well in a W against Cleveland and then got a DNP the next game. Both were wins, winning helps, I guess.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/curious-benching-shows-the-fine-line-jeff-hornacek-is-walking/

10. J.J. Redick...played well in one game this week and has now been out with back issues. It freed him up for Halloween though...Let's Go!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7bcYXDmlV/?hl=en&taken-by=jjredick

Inc. - Kennard, Deng, Singler, Jah - stacking DNPs like Brennan Besser

flyingdutchdevil
11-01-2017, 01:57 PM
Updated Power Rankings...

1. Kyrie Irving...looking better and better for the Celtics who went undefeated this week, he continues to revel in his "quirkiness"
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/celtics-star-kyrie-irving-expounds-on-his-controversial-flat-earth-beliefs/

2. Jayson Tatum...gaudy shooting from the field/3/FT line, 6 boards a game, along with Jaylen Brown is inspiring lots of "future is now" pieces

3. Brandon Ingram...filling up the stat sheet, needs to improve that 3pt % but more consistent game to game.. Coach Walton noticed
http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-luke-walton-raves-about-brandon-ingram-after-win-over-pistons/2017/11/01/

4. Rodney Hood...he's back, sure to rise up this chart if he keeps playing like he did Monday against Dallas
https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865692007/Rodney-Hood-shows-he-can-be-go-to-guy-in-Utah7s-win-over-Dallas.html

5. Austin Rivers...bad team loss to the Warriors a few days back obscures continued steady play, nearly 3 steals per game..maybe P. Bev is rubbing off on him
http://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-report-20171030-story.html

6. Justise Winslow...tough week for the Heat, but Justise is coming along. Spo says he likes his increased quickness due to weight loss.

7. Mason Plumlee...not much behind Justise in production, but one senses his ceiling is lower on this squad. Here's an article looking at his pairing with Jocic
https://www.denverstiffs.com/2017/10/31/16581220/breakdown-of-the-joki-plumlee-pairing

8. Tyus Jones...has continued to appear in each game, but this article is damning about the TWolves bench and Tyus' role on it. I've been saying he passes the eye test, but maybe the eye test is deceiving me...
http://www.startribune.com/inside-the-numbers-the-mysterious-suddenly-clutch-timberwolves/454301533/

9. Lance Thomas...Hornacek's rotation has been all over the place, Lance played well in a W against Cleveland and then got a DNP the next game. Both were wins, winning helps, I guess.
http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/curious-benching-shows-the-fine-line-jeff-hornacek-is-walking/

10. J.J. Redick...played well in one game this week and has now been out with back issues. It freed him up for Halloween though...Let's Go!
https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba7bcYXDmlV/?hl=en&taken-by=jjredick

Inc. - Kennard, Deng, Singler, Jah - stacking DNPs like Brennan Besser

IMO, there is a clear distinction between the top 6 (and Jabari) vs everyone else. To me, those are the Duke players - right now - who are getting noticed.

cato
11-01-2017, 03:07 PM
IMO, there is a clear distinction between the top 6 (and Jabari) vs everyone else. To me, those are the Duke players - right now - who are getting noticed.

Agreed. I am very disappointed for Jah that he is where he is now. I sure hope he uses the rest of this time in Philly to his advantage.