PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast #86 - Hoops open practice, K speaks, Capt. Grayson, & some football

JasonEvans
10-04-2017, 09:16 PM
We got some Duke news so we just had to pod all about it!

https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast/dbr-podcast-86

0:00 Thanks to Byrd Campbell for helping us out
0:35 Donald introduces the topics… and we actually get to start with baskeball!
2:40 Duke livestreams a practice and we watch. What did we notice? Grayson Allen is good at basketball.
5:25 We focus on Duke’s big men, who seem more versatile than initially expected (and we enjoy Sam getting confused about who is who in our front court).
10:40 Donald gives us the lineups from the scrimmage and talks about the importance of leadership.
12:25 We have fun talking about Grayson Allen destroying Jack White on a dunk.
15:40 Jason listened to Coach K’s news conference. We hear about K’s move to go big this year and his feelings about the scandal gripping college basketball.
29:40 Donald wants to talk more about how Duke will become a team of slamdunks, not 3 pointers.
33:20 Byrd Campbell gives us a story about a great Duke football moment.
34:30 Grayson is the sole captain for this year’s team. We talk about that and speculate about whether someone else may join him with a C on their shirt in coming months.
38:00 Jason talks about how Grayson’s experience compares to the rest of the team… and Sam makes an incredible mathematical guess.
46:50 Football, we recap Miami… ugh. The offense was, well, offensive. Donald was there and says the crowd as good.
51:25 Jason has harsh words about our wide receivers… he’s frustrated.
56:50 Preview the UVA game, Jason says their QB is not going to beat you with his legs.
1:03:30 Parting shots: Jason on the new Louisville head basketball coach.
1:06:45 Parting shots: Donald shot a poor round of golf at the Washington Duke course.
1:07:55 Parting shots: Sam explains his internet woes and talks about the online sports media he is enjoying these days.
1:12:00 Parting shots: Jason comes back with a note about the 76ers cornering the NBA market for Okafors.
1:14:15 G’bye y’all!

Dev11
10-05-2017, 10:24 AM
If you're interested in sponsoring a show, send any of us (me, Jason, blazindw) a PM and we'll give you further details.

Also, since I mentioned some media I enjoyed, here's the Jonah Keri column that's about baseball but touches on amateurism as well: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/braves-gm-drama-shows-its-time-to-put-an-end-to-sports-fans-sense-of-entitlement/

And check out The Athletic, Ken Pomeroy's new writing home, along a bunch of other familiar college basketball names, including Seth Davis.

kAzE
10-05-2017, 01:31 PM
Almost had me convinced Javin was a junior . . . I was so confused.

JasonEvans
10-05-2017, 02:33 PM

Sam was speaking to us from the future ;)

Dev11
10-05-2017, 03:14 PM

I honestly have no idea where I got that idea from, and I don't know why it persisted. Maybe it has to do with my internet crashing 20 minutes later.

JasonEvans
10-05-2017, 03:34 PM
I honestly have no idea where I got that idea from, and I don't know why it persisted. Maybe it has to do with my internet crashing 20 minutes later.

Your internet was so disgusted at you, it blocked you from the podcast.

I think you just got Javin and Vrank confused. Seems easy to do. They could be brothers.

https://simplydukebasketball.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/fvhfwhjwvnvtzxx-20160919184624.jpg https://simplydukebasketball.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/zmyakykvprvpueu-20150909164831.jpg

-Jason "which is which?" Evans

Indoor66
10-05-2017, 03:49 PM
The one with Duke on his shirt?

BandAlum83
10-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Your internet was so disgusted at you, it blocked you from the podcast.

I think you just got Javin and Vrank confused. Seems easy to do. They could be brothers.

https://simplydukebasketball.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/fvhfwhjwvnvtzxx-20160919184624.jpg https://simplydukebasketball.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/zmyakykvprvpueu-20150909164831.jpg

-Jason "which is which?" Evans

That's a trick question. It's the same guy! That's why you won't show the number of the player on the left!.

So it's the same guy, but I still don't know if it's Vrank or Javin.

Little help? Anyone?

DukieInBrasil
10-05-2017, 04:44 PM
although it was nice to hear that K had such complementary things to say about Javin, it sounds an awful lot like things we've heard before that just didn't seem to pan out as the season rolled out. Like Bolden from last year, or Curry from his red-shirt year, or Alex Murphy his Fr. year. I'm sure there's other instances of K saying player X has improved so much/is gonna be a starter/is the best player in practice, yet when the games happen player X's performance just doesn't match what K said.
Bolden hurt his "lower leg" nearly immediately after K made those comments about him, Murphy ended up getting a concussion prior to the season, and Curry may very well have been able to play with unrestrained abandon as a red-shirt knowing he wouldn't play in games that year. So each of those instances has a caveat of some sort.
In the brief instances we got to see Javin play last year his athleticism was abundantly obvious, but his skill level (and injuries) prevented him from getting on the court much. Perhaps K's comments were as much a reflection of Javin's dedication to improvement and hustle in practice as they were any sort of indication that he'll surprise everyone this year. Perhaps this year's personnel is just a better fit for displaying Javin's talent.
Still, K runs psy-ops on the regular, so i'm not sure what to make of his comments regarding Javin.

kAzE
10-05-2017, 05:38 PM
although it was nice to hear that K had such complementary things to say about Javin, it sounds an awful lot like things we've heard before that just didn't seem to pan out as the season rolled out. Like Bolden from last year, or Curry from his red-shirt year, or Alex Murphy his Fr. year. I'm sure there's other instances of K saying player X has improved so much/is gonna be a starter/is the best player in practice, yet when the games happen player X's performance just doesn't match what K said.
Bolden hurt his "lower leg" nearly immediately after K made those comments about him, Murphy ended up getting a concussion prior to the season, and Curry may very well have been able to play with unrestrained abandon as a red-shirt knowing he wouldn't play in games that year. So each of those instances has a caveat of some sort.
In the brief instances we got to see Javin play last year his athleticism was abundantly obvious, but his skill level (and injuries) prevented him from getting on the court much. Perhaps K's comments were as much a reflection of Javin's dedication to improvement and hustle in practice as they were any sort of indication that he'll surprise everyone this year. Perhaps this year's personnel is just a better fit for displaying Javin's talent.
Still, K runs psy-ops on the regular, so i'm not sure what to make of his comments regarding Javin.

Not to get into a minutes discussion right here in this thread, but Coach K's comments, as well as everything I've seen/heard, tell me Javin is going to be in the rotation. If we started the official "minutes predictions" thread today, I'd have Javin ahead of Jordan Tucker for SF minutes.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-07-2017, 06:16 PM
That's a trick question. It's the same guy! That's why you won't show the number of the player on the left!.

So it's the same guy, but I still don't know if it's Vrank or Javin.

Little help? Anyone?
Hi! I’m Larry and this is my brother Daryl and my other brother Darrell!

plimnko
10-08-2017, 11:31 AM
what's the date?