PDA

View Full Version : "Pay for Play" (drilling down into the issues, second try)

swood1000
10-04-2017, 02:44 PM
Second try for these questions.

Kfanarmy
10-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Second try for these questions.

How about other categories..."College players are compensated for their play with their education" and "college players should not be paid."

swood1000
10-04-2017, 04:02 PM
How about other categories..."College players are compensated for their play with their education" and "college players should not be paid."
I assumed that those who did not check the first box opposed allowing college players to be paid, although I suppose that there could be people who think payment should be allowed but in limited amounts. Do you think that there is a significant number of these people? As for whether college players are compensated with their education, I assume that everyone who opposes paying players would say yes and everyone who supports it would say no, except for those who oppose payment and also object to thinking of an education as payment, who would confusingly inflate the 'no' response.

elvis14
10-04-2017, 04:40 PM

I was looking for the "should not be paid" options as well.

swood1000
10-04-2017, 05:08 PM
I was looking for the "should not be paid" options as well.
I should have included it.

Sir Stealth
10-04-2017, 05:21 PM
I think there also needs to be be a distinction between permitting players to profit through endorsements, selling merchandise etc. v. being directly paid to play by the schools or by boosters. I realize that there is still the potential for corruption by funneling money from the latter to disguise it as the former, but there is a distinction that is part of the debate. Does "remain amateur" for a school mean "not pay players directly" or set a rule that no players who play for the school can profit while in school (i.e. be true "amateurs)?