PDA

View Full Version : Duke Section at UVA

PeteZaHut
10-02-2017, 08:33 PM
Has anyone bought tickets through Duke to the UVA game this weekend? What section will the Duke fans be in?

duke2x
10-03-2017, 07:58 AM
They probably have been returned to UVA at this point but are probably still available. UVA is now seating Duke fans in the middle of the empty upper deck. You might do better on Stubhub or outside the stadium as far as getting tickets to actually see the game.

budwom
10-03-2017, 08:03 AM
yeah, generally on the road (unless a sellout is expected) you can do WAY better not buying the visitors' designated tickets, which tend to be the crappiest.
E.G. at Army some years ago they put the Duke fans down low in the corner, worst seats in the house...we easily bought tickets for the upper deck, great view of the field
and the Hudson River as well...

sagegrouse
10-03-2017, 08:48 AM
yeah, generally on the road (unless a sellout is expected) you can do WAY better not buying the visitors' designated tickets, which tend to be the crappiest.
E.G. at Army some years ago they put the Duke fans down low in the corner, worst seats in the house...we easily bought tickets for the upper deck, great view of the field
and the Hudson River as well...

As did Northwestern last year. Notre Dame. at least, put us high up in the corner, where we had a decent angle on the game and, moreover, got blessed for four straight hours by "Touchdown Jesus," on the Hesburgh Library visible in the distance.

BlueTeuf
10-03-2017, 08:59 AM
We're visiting Lane Stadium for Duke's win over the Hokies on 28 October. Should we ascribe any value to sitting among our fellow Duke travelers?

I understand VaTech's stadium is laid out pretty well - but, Section 39 are among the least desirable seats. Does the Band sit up there too? Would that be a plus or minus?

So, looking for advice - should we stick with the Duke seats (cheaper, but among compatriots) or go for better seats. IIUC, VaTech fans tilt toward the cordial side of the receptivity continuum.

-BlueTeuf

devildeac
10-03-2017, 10:20 AM
As did Northwestern last year. Notre Dame. at least, put us high up in the corner, where we had a decent angle on the game and, moreover, got blessed for four straight hours by "Touchdown Jesus," on the Hesburgh Library visible in the distance.

We were strategically seated so we could see Touchdown Jesus signal that the game-winning FG was indeed good. ;)

Reilly
10-03-2017, 11:10 AM
We're visiting Lane Stadium for Duke's win over the Hokies on 28 October. Should we ascribe any value to sitting among our fellow Duke travelers?

I understand VaTech's stadium is laid out pretty well - but, Section 39 are among the least desirable seats. Does the Band sit up there too? Would that be a plus or minus?

So, looking for advice - should we stick with the Duke seats (cheaper, but among compatriots) or go for better seats. IIUC, VaTech fans tilt toward the cordial side of the receptivity continuum.

-BlueTeuf

Well, the Iron Dukes charges 2x what other schools charge for comparable tailgates at the same host stadium, and touts "the company of fellow Blue Devils" as a selling point -- so, that's one (irrational, Iron Dukes-math) metric for ascribing value to being among fellow Duke travelers.

At a game, when the visiting fans rise as one, it is cool to be a part of it all. In 2013, when we stormed back from 22-0 to win at UVA, I was sitting on the 40 -- which was perfect for the game, but I did feel a pang of being left out as the Duke fans rose en masse in the Duke seats in the corner as the clock ticked down.

VT fans are very friendly. I got a bad sun/wind burn at Lane Stadium one time due to the visiting seats in Lane being on the edge of the stadium where the wind could whip.

My advice: get great seats wherever, and enjoy the Duke companionship at the tailgate and afterwards at a victory celebration. But you can't go wrong sitting with the Duke folks inside the stadium, given there aren't horrible seats.

PeteZaHut
10-03-2017, 11:12 AM
I was planning on using stubhub, but I wanted to try to be as close to the Duke people as possible. I find UVA fans particularly annoying.

Reilly
10-03-2017, 11:17 AM
... I find UVA fans particularly annoying.

Over the years, I've encountered two main strains: those who didn't go to the school, and who don't know much about CFB .... and those who went to the school (many with an attitude), and who don't know much about CFB.

BLPOG
10-03-2017, 02:05 PM
I was planning on using stubhub, but I wanted to try to be as close to the Duke people as possible. I find UVA fans particularly annoying.

I'm a bit surprised by that. When I went to a game there a few years ago the UVA fans were exceedingly friendly and good sports, even after Duke won in a very frustrating (for UVA) way.

PeteZaHut
10-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I'm a bit surprised by that. When I went to a game there a few years ago the UVA fans were exceedingly friendly and good sports, even after Duke won in a very frustrating (for UVA) way.

I just can't stand the whole elitist thing where they wear their bow ties to football games. I also find it funny that everyone accuses Duke of being elitist, but the Dean Dome is where you see all the old white guys with their blue sweaters and dress shirts at basketball games.

I guess I'll assume that no one knows what section the duke fans will be in at the game? haha

BLPOG
10-03-2017, 05:18 PM
I just can't stand the whole elitist thing where they wear their bow ties to football games. I also find it funny that everyone accuses Duke of being elitist, but the Dean Dome is where you see all the old white guys with their blue sweaters and dress shirts at basketball games.

I guess I'll assume that no one knows what section the duke fans will be in at the game? haha

That attire is hardly specific to UVA, though. For that matter, there was a time when it was worn at Duke games.

devildeac
10-03-2017, 05:19 PM

My general impression is that a generous amount of the crowd, young and old, dress in a "preppie" manner at WFU FB games, too.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Well, the Iron Dukes charges 2x what other schools charge for comparable tailgates at the same host stadium, and touts "the company of fellow Blue Devils" as a selling point -- so, that's one (irrational, Iron Dukes-math) metric for ascribing value to being among fellow Duke travelers.

At a game, when the visiting fans rise as one, it is cool to be a part of it all. In 2013, when we stormed back from 22-0 to win at UVA, I was sitting on the 40 -- which was perfect for the game, but I did feel a pang of being left out as the Duke fans rose en masse in the Duke seats in the corner as the clock ticked down.

VT fans are very friendly. I got a bad sun/wind burn at Lane Stadium one time due to the visiting seats in Lane being on the edge of the stadium where the wind could whip.

My advice: get great seats wherever, and enjoy the Duke companionship at the tailgate and afterwards at a victory celebration. But you can't go wrong sitting with the Duke folks inside the stadium, given there aren't horrible seats.
We’ve been to the last two victorious games at VT and will be there again later this month! We sit in the Duke section, which is all the way at the end, similar to where Duke puts visitors. Yes, the band and the player’s families are there too! It is what it is.

VT fans are very gracious and kind to visitors! Even when we beat them! Duke fans at home games should be so nice to visitors to Wallace Wade Stadium.

chrishoke
10-03-2017, 07:07 PM
VT fans are very gracious and kind to visitors! Even when we beat them! Duke fans at home games should be so nice to visitors to Wallace Wade Stadium.

We certainly have had enough practice!

DU82
10-03-2017, 08:36 PM

-BlueTeuf

I think the band and family members are down below in section 19. IIRC I had tickets there two years ago, but am up in 39 this year.

Since the tickets have been assigned and assumably mailed, it's probably too late to purchase the tickets through Duke. They sent an email earlier in the season to warn IDs that away tickets had to be purchased four weeks in advance.

I checked the VT web site to look at my ticket location, and there's very few tickets left. None in 39, but they probably haven't received the remaining Duke allotment (if any) back yet.

duke2x
10-03-2017, 09:52 PM
When did you all get your VT tickets? I haven't gotten mine yet.

DU82
10-03-2017, 10:03 PM
When did you all get your VT tickets? I haven't gotten mine yet.

I checked on GoDuke.com in my account and saw the location of the tickets listed. (I will pick up at Will Call.)