PDA

View Full Version : Grayson selected as team captain

Fish80
10-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Didn't see this posted yet ... good for Grayson.

BLPOG
10-02-2017, 04:27 PM
article (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/10/report-grayson-allen-named-lone-captain-for-duke-mens-basketball)

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2017, 04:30 PM
Huge endorsement by the coaching staff. Really happy to see that.

I was one of the few who thought Coach K would have multiple captains. Happy to be proven wrong.

Bob Green
10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Congratulations to Grayson Allen on his selection. I look forward to watching him have a great senior season.

mkirsh
10-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Congrats to Grayson on the captaincy

BOLD PREDICTION: By mid year DeLaurier will be named a co-captain, and will be playing 15+ mpg. Just my WAG watching the blue planet and twitter clips where he always seems to be in the mix and vocal.

MartyClark
10-02-2017, 04:46 PM
Yeah, go Grayson.

He's arguably the most complicated, interesting Duke player in recent history.

I would love to see him shine this year. Duval can bring the ball up, Bagley is an inside threat, Grayson (hopefully) gets lots of space and shooting opportunities.

Henderson
10-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Yeah, go Grayson.

He's arguably the most complicated, interesting Duke player in recent history.

What about Grayson Allen suggests he's unusually complicated? I don't see it. Seems like a pretty normal guy.

Now Greg Newton and Taylor King... those guys seemed complicated to me. 'Sheed maybe too. But not Grayson.

left_hook_lacey
10-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Maybe I'm being naive, but was there ever a doubt about this? I know he lost his status during the debacle last year. But did anyone think he wouldn't be renamed as captain this year?

Or is the surprise that he's the lone captain?

Tripping William
10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
What about Grayson Allen suggests he's unusually complicated? I don't see it. Seems like a pretty normal guy.

Now Greg Newton and Taylor King... those guys seemed complicated to me.

I see it. I won't speak for MartyClark, but what I see of Grayson is a quiet, somewhat shy, relatively unassuming young man with an unreal competitive fire, and a to-date-unexplained penchant for loose-limbed recidivism. (No, I cannot claim credit for that phrase, but also can't remember who coined it.) That combo strikes me as complicated.

CDu
10-02-2017, 05:05 PM
I see it. I won't speak for MartyClark, but what I see of Grayson is a quiet, somewhat shy, relatively unassuming young man with an unreal competitive fire, and a to-date-unexplained penchant for loose-limbed recidivism. (No, I cannot claim credit for that phrase, but also can't remember who coined it.) That combo strikes me as complicated.

I don't know much about him as a person, but your description doesn't strike me as complicated. Or at least it sounds no more complicated than the average person.

moonpie23
10-02-2017, 05:07 PM
had to be a lot of emotion for GA and the Staff...

congrats GA.........bring it....

MartyClark
10-02-2017, 05:20 PM

Now Greg Newton and Taylor King... those guys seemed complicated to me. 'Sheed maybe too. But not Grayson.

Yeah, I don't know him and could well be wrong. I just couldn't understand the tripping/kicking incident last year and his melt down afterwards. I think he's a psychology major which makes it more interesting. I just haven't seen this lack of self control in a bright, otherwise measured kid from Duke.

My observation may not have been valid and I yield to any of you who disagree.

RPS
10-02-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm very pleased for Grayson. Seth Davis has a new (and good) profile on GA too. It's on the new site, The Athletic (https://theathletic.com/), which has been impressive thus far (some articles require subscription). Davis is the Managing Editor of The Athletic's college basketball coverage: The Fieldhouse (https://theathletic.com/fieldhouse/).

Why Grayson Allen came back for more (https://theathletic.com/115181/2017/10/02/why-grayson-allen-came-back-for-more/)

CDu
10-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I don't know him and could well be wrong. I just couldn't understand the tripping/kicking incident last year and his melt down afterwards. I think he's a psychology major which makes it more interesting. I just haven't seen this lack of self control in a bright, otherwise measured kid from Duke.

My observation may not have been valid and I yield to any of you who disagree.

I just think we learn so little about players that it is hard to say. Is Allen more complicated than Sulaimon? Dawkins? Redick? Laettner? Parks? Newton? And can we say that any of these are the most complicated given we know so little about any of them?

Allen is on a short list of most scrutinized for sure, and his saga has played out more publicly as well. But it just seems like he is a competitive kid who has had to work through a frustration management problem.

cspan37421
10-02-2017, 05:52 PM
Love Grayson's fire and drive, hops and heart ... don't love a small handful of things in his playing history ... even if they were retaliatory, he should know by now that the one retaliating is often the one caught. I hope he shows this year that he's grown out of that stuff and is ready to score, defend, and lead. I also hope the only non-basketball play he gets chided for is directing an opponent's attention to the scoreboard (with a knowing grin). In April would be nice.

uh_no
10-02-2017, 06:35 PM
I love this kid. I'm happy he's been given this opportunity. Part of me wonders what sort of work he's done mentally, but whatever it is/was, I'm sure he's a better person for it.

He wouldn't have gotten this honor without the full confidence of the staff, and that says a lot (at least to me, even if others might poo-poo it BILAS).

I'm excited to see him on the court again. and I think more than any other player I've seen at duke, except maybe nolan, I would love to see him immortalized in cameron. Given the star power, i'm skeptical, but it would be fitting.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2017, 06:50 PM
Maybe I'm being naive, but was there ever a doubt about this? I know he lost his status during the debacle last year. But did anyone think he wouldn't be renamed as captain this year?

Or is the surprise that he's the lone captain?

No question he would be captain. Surprise is that he's lone captain.

Coach K is a great planner. If Grayson trips anyone / throws a massive tantrum on the bench, he's getting his captaincy stripped (or worse). That would leave no captain for the team to look up to.

The lone captaincy suggests the coaching staff doesn't think Grayson will have another episode like the last two years. And if that's the case, amazing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-02-2017, 07:21 PM
I don't know much about him as a person, but your description doesn't strike me as complicated. Or at least it sounds no more complicated than the average person.

Come on people. I know we all bleed Duke blue, but pretending Grayson hasn't endured more scrutiny and BS than any player in recent Duke memory is disingenuous.

K is making a helluva statement by making Allen a captain, and he is setting the bar high for his performance. I am sure we all hope Grayson earns it and exceeds expectations, but you can't seriously pretend this is something less than "complicated."

Here's to rooting for Allen hoisting a trophy at the end of his Duke career and making all the haters that much more insane.

Let's go Duke!

LasVegas
10-02-2017, 07:39 PM
Come on people. I know we all bleed Duke blue, but pretending Grayson hasn't endured more scrutiny and BS than any player in recent Duke memory is disingenuous.

K is making a helluva statement by making Allen a captain, and he is setting the bar high for his performance. I am sure we all hope Grayson earns it and exceeds expectations, but you can't seriously pretend this is something less than "complicated."

Here's to rooting for Allen hoisting a trophy at the end of his Duke career and making all the haters that much more insane.

Let's go Duke!

I thought I read the players vote on captains? How does the process work? Does K get the final yes/no decision?

OZ
10-02-2017, 08:06 PM

Let's go Duke!

Life is complicated... Allen will be fine... It is seriously time to move on.

flyingdutchdevil
10-02-2017, 08:16 PM
Life is complicated... Allen will be fine... It is seriously time to move on.

I feel like people said this exact same thing literally a year ago. I too think Allen will be fine, but sweeping all "Grayson the tripper" content under a rug doesn't go any good, either.

Pghdukie
10-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Its a GREAT HONOR to be named a Captain. I'm positive Grayson Allen will be a credit to himself, the team, and the University. It's the maturity factor that makes me excited for him

weezie
10-02-2017, 08:49 PM
...K is making a helluva statement by making Allen a captain...

K is most assuredly making a statement. What an incredible honor. Solo captain. It's terrific news. Let the haters begin their whining!

OZ
10-02-2017, 09:00 PM
I feel like people said this exact same thing literally a year ago. I too think Allen will be fine, but sweeping all "Grayson the tripper" content under a rug doesn't go any good, either.

I'm neither dismissing the past nor "sweeping it under a rug." I don't think ANYONE has forgotten; in fact, ESPN has an article about it today.
But, I have to trust that K would not have made this move if circumstances were not clear to him. I just don't think reliving or rehashing this resolves anything. God knows, in my life, I've screwed up a lot more than Allen. The way I healed and grew was through those who forgave me, encouraged me and trusted in me enough to allow me to move on. I just think Allen deserves nothing less from his family (that includes us). If he screws up again, then we will stone him. Just my opinion.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-02-2017, 09:32 PM
I'm neither dismissing the past nor "sweeping it under a rug." I don't think ANYONE has forgotten; in fact, ESPN has an article about it today.
But, I have to trust that K would not have made this move if circumstances were not clear to him. I just don't think reliving or rehashing this resolves anything. God knows, in my life, I've screwed up a lot more than Allen. The way I healed and grew was through those who forgave me, encouraged me and trusted in me enough to allow me to move on. I just think Allen deserves nothing less from his family (that includes us). If he screws up again, then we will stone him. Just my opinion.

I agree with all these statements. It just doesn't do any favors to pretend that last year didn't happen. We all wish the best for Grayson and the team, and K knows better than the rest of us what is happening in Allen's head. Let's hope/assume his trust is well placed.

uh_no
10-02-2017, 09:53 PM
I agree with all these statements. It just doesn't do any favors to pretend that last year didn't happen. We all wish the best for Grayson and the team, and K knows better than the rest of us what is happening in Allen's head. Let's hope/assume his trust is well placed.

Agree. There are ways to acknowledge past mistakes without it being negative. Mistakes are critical to self improvement, and if one forgets their mistakes, or more importantly, the actions they've taken to correct them, they're bound to repeat them.

CDu
10-02-2017, 10:09 PM

Let's go Duke!

I completely agree that he has been more scrutinized than just about anyone. In fact, I said that very thing. But I don't necessarily agree that HE is a complicated person, or the most complicated Duke player ever.

His situation has become/been complicated. But that is not the same as him being complicated.

-jk
10-02-2017, 10:54 PM
Is Christian on retainer for some avuncular advice?

-jk

OZ
10-02-2017, 11:22 PM
Agree. There are ways to acknowledge past mistakes without it being negative. Mistakes are critical to self improvement, and if one forgets their mistakes, or more importantly, the actions they've taken to correct them, they're bound to repeat them.

I truly hope for Allen's sake, that he has a good and FUN year. But, if he doesn't, I don't think "forgetting" is going to be the reason.

UrinalCake
10-03-2017, 12:16 AM
No question he would be captain. Surprise is that he's lone captain.

Definitely unusual to only have a single captain. Typically K chooses at least one senior and one junior, with the idea that the junior will be groomed for the role for the following season. So who knows what will happen next year. But this is definitely Grayson's team, and I think he will embrace the role of leading the young guys. Last year he had so much on his plate - overloading on classes so he could graduate, being expected to be the best player on the team, changing positions, and being a captain on top of that - I think it was too much. But this season he is better positioned to take on the responsibility.

dukebballcamper90-91
10-03-2017, 06:35 AM
Hopefully he acts like cap and not a brat this year

Billy Dat
10-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Seth Davis' profile in the Athletic makes a few points germane to this convo:

-Aside from giving Grayson feedback from NBA scouts and front office personnel, K told Grayson he needed to make the "stay or leave" argument himself. Eventually, Grayson asked for his honest opinion and K said, "You're staying, you and I aren't finished together yet!"

-Part of K's desire is for Grayson to close the gulf between his two personas, he needs to be more outgoing off the court and less completely unhinged on the court.

slower
10-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Grayson's actions don't exist in a vacuum. Hopefully, his teammates will have his back when punks on the other teams try to incite him. And they will. Constantly.

I have NEVER wanted a kid to stick it to his haters as much as I do with Grayson.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
10-03-2017, 07:54 AM
Grayson's actions don't exist in a vacuum. Hopefully, his teammates will have his back when punks on the other teams try to incite him. And they will. Constantly.

I have NEVER wanted a kid to stick it to his haters as much as I do with Grayson.

I think we all have pretty good odds of getting satisfaction this year. Grayson too, of course.

sagegrouse
10-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Grayson lost his position as captain, I believe, not or not only for the tripping incidents, but more for the emotional non-stop outburst when removed from the game against Elon. That's not the behavior of a leader.

Eisenhower removed the talented Patton from command because his public treatment of wounded soldiers was a horrible example of leadership. He returned to lead the Third Army in the final assault on Germany.

jv001
10-03-2017, 09:21 AM

I choose not to cast the first stone. Some of those rocks are really heavy. Forgiveness begins with self. God bless and GoDuke!

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 09:48 AM

I think Grayson acted as well as he could after Elon. There were "ESPN Incidents," but they weren't anything substantial. And I wouldn't, in any regard, ever call Santa Ana a "punk". He did nothing wrong in that incident other than get under Grayson's skin.

slower
10-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I think Grayson acted as well as he could after Elon. There were "ESPN Incidents," but they weren't anything substantial. And I wouldn't, in any regard, ever call Santa Ana a "punk". He did nothing wrong in that incident other than get under Grayson's skin.

It's the WAY people get under each other's skin. Just play the freaking game. I can't stand all the jawing and BS and over-the-top physicality. I can't stand watching most sports any more

duke79
10-03-2017, 10:58 AM
It's the WAY people get under each other's skin. Just play the freaking game. I can't stand all the jawing and BS and over-the-top physicality. I can't stand watching most sports any more

Amen, brother. I know exactly how you feel!

kAzE
10-03-2017, 11:57 AM

I was one of the few who thought Coach K would have multiple captains. Happy to be proven wrong.

I also thought there would be a co-captain, in light of a possible (no matter how unlikely) 3rd installment of tripgate. Coach K has put a lot of trust in Grayson, so I think this decision puts me at a little more at ease.

This was almost a foregone conclusion, but I'm glad Grayson was able to regain his captaincy. Congrats to him. Hoping for a successful, injury/controversy-free senior year.

I guess it's pointless to speculate, but I wonder who would have been named captain had Grayson gone pro? It would have been a very strange year . . .

Troublemaker
10-03-2017, 12:05 PM
Making Grayson the sole captain yanks the safety net away and may make him more accountable. I've written this before, but I think one of the reasons he still had a few bad moments last season was because, in the back of his mind, he always knew that the team could fall back on his roommates and co-captains Amile and Matt if need be. Grayson didn't feel the urgency to be completely in control of his emotions 100% of the time. This season? He has to be. He has to harness his emotions in a positive direction ALL the time because he's the leader of team, and there's no safety net. The added responsibility/honor will help him rise to the occasion, hopefully.

gotoguy
10-03-2017, 12:51 PM
My first thought after Grayson had been selected team captain is the resultant increased scrutiny by the media. But then I presume coach K has factored that into his and the team's decision. On the other hand it is unlikely that he would've flown under the radar if he wasn't chosen captain as he so effectively remains the Blue Devil everyone loves to hate.

Henderson
10-03-2017, 12:56 PM
My first thought after Grayson had been selected team captain is the resultant increased scrutiny by the media. But then I presume coach K has factored that into his and the team's decision. On the other hand it is unlikely that he would've flown under the radar if he wasn't chosen captain as he so effectively remains the Blue Devil everyone loves to hate.

Think about it the other way: If Grayson hadn't been named Captain, we'd have to endure all kinds of "doghouse" nonsense all season, and NBA interviews would involve a question about it.

I take this exactly at face value: Grayson Allen is the leader of this team, and on the merits. No need to dig deeper than that.

And in terms of media scrutiny, I don't think the media or viewers really care much about who's a captain and who isn't when commenting on players' activities. It might get a mention, but no one really cares outside the team.

MCFinARL
10-03-2017, 01:30 PM
Congrats to Grayson on the captaincy

BOLD PREDICTION: By mid year DeLaurier will be named a co-captain, and will be playing 15+ mpg. Just my WAG watching the blue planet and twitter clips where he always seems to be in the mix and vocal.

While this would please me very much (especially the part about getting 15 minutes a game, which would mean significant development in his game), and I agree DeLaurier looks engaged on the videos, I don't see him being named a co-captain this year. First, he is only a sophomore--and sophomore captains, while not unheard of, are very unusual. Second, adding a sophomore captain after beginning the season with the lone senior as solo captain might tend to undercut Grayson's confidence.

My original post had nothing to do with a,b, or c

Yes--but your original post wasn't the one that drew people's ire--it was your second post, which had everything to do with a, b, and c.

I agree this is a sign of confidence in Grayson by the coaching staff. But really, the situation this year is a bit unusual. Who would be a logical co-captain with Grayson? There are only three juniors on the team: Antonio Vrankovic, seemingly a good kid but with very limited playing experience, Brennan Besser, a walk-on with almost no playing experience, and Justin Robinson (really a redshirt sophomore), a preferred walk-on with only slightly more experience than Besser. And none of these three figures to be on the court for major minutes this year given the logjam of younger talent. As noted above, DeLaurier seemingly has a great attitude and some leadership potential, but he is also very inexperienced and only has one year in the program.

Under the circumstances, naming a co-captain might seem like a message to Grayson that the staff isn't fully confident he can conduct himself well.

flyingdutchdevil
10-03-2017, 04:38 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/20905103/grayson-allen-duke-blue-devils-confident-control-emotions

Money quote. Clearly shows he gets it:

"Polarizing," Allen told ESPN on Tuesday about how people perceive him. "I can't really pick one because there's probably a big divide. Half of the basketball world thinks I'm this hothead, dirty player who can't get anything under control and probably thinks I'm arrogant and a selfish guy. And another group that thinks I'm a lot better than I actually am."

Furniture
10-03-2017, 09:44 PM
http://dukereport.com/audio-video/watch-interview-with-grayson-allen-from-duke-media-day-dukeofhoops/amp/

nice happy interview from Grayson.

kAzE
10-03-2017, 11:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4bK-gAdkc

I've seen quite a few highlights from practice lately, but most of the big dunks all seem to be at the expense of Jack White. Poor, poor, Jack.

uh_no
10-04-2017, 12:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko4bK-gAdkc

I've seen quite a few highlights from practice lately, but most of the big dunks all seem to be at the expense of Jack White. Poor, poor, Jack.

oh god. hope he's not out for the season.

elvis14
10-04-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm really looking forward to watching a healthy Grayson Allen play this year and stick it to all the haters (both here on DBR and elsewhere). I can't remember the last time I was behind a kid as much as I am behind GA (maybe JJ). Make no mistake, however, ESPN has already put the microscope on GA for the season. I have Sportscenter on right now and and running across the bottom of the screen is a blurb about GA. That's basically unheard of for a college basketball player. They don't care about GA or the game, all they want is click bait and ESPN is praying that GA gives it to them. Every time he picks up a physical personal foul ESPN will act like he's throwing punches. Even if GA doesn't give them anything worth pimping, they'll attempt to create issues for GA where they don't exist.

sagegrouse
10-04-2017, 09:05 AM
I'm really looking forward to watching a healthy Grayson Allen play this year and stick it to all the haters (both here on DBR and elsewhere). I can't remember the last time I was behind a kid as much as I am behind GA (maybe JJ). Make no mistake, however, ESPN has already put the microscope on GA for the season. I have Sportscenter on right now and and running across the bottom of the screen is a blurb about GA. That's basically unheard of for a college basketball player. They don't care about GA or the game, all they want is click bait and ESPN is praying that GA gives it to them. Every time he picks up a physical personal foul ESPN will act like he's throwing punches. Even if GA doesn't give them anything worth pimping, they'll attempt to create issues for GA where they don't exist.

We'll see how it works out in terms of coverage. Until the seas don starts, Grayson Allen is "THE story." What else is there to talk about? Well, that was dumb, wasn't it? Everyone is talking about the shoe scandal. But aside from that, Grayson is an obvious story -- a controversial player on the game's top program with the sport's best-known coach. I expect it will die down as writers and media types have some basketball games to write about.

weezie
10-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Well, just a few more weeks before the #1 pre-season ranking + Allen captaincy + K overall physical condition stories will begin. Countdown...

K looked great yesterday!

kAzE
10-04-2017, 11:00 AM
We'll see how it works out in terms of coverage. Until the seas don starts, Grayson Allen is "THE story." What else is there to talk about? Well, that was dumb, wasn't it? Everyone is talking about the shoe scandal. But aside from that, Grayson is an obvious story -- a controversial player on the game's top program with the sport's best-known coach. I expect it will die down as writers and media types have some basketball games to write about.

That may be wishful thinking. Grayson is always going to be a lightning rod for media attention as long as he's at Duke. Every little interaction he has on the court is going to be heavily scrutinized. Every shoving match, every questionable play, every heated exchange, every temper tantrum on the sidelines is going to be played and replayed on sportscenter. It's unfortunate, but he's got a ton of pressure on him to be perfect.

However, this Adidas scandal might take some of the media coverage away, which is good for Grayson, but terrible for college basketball as a whole.

Duke95
10-04-2017, 11:08 AM
That may be wishful thinking. Grayson is always going to be a lightning rod for media attention as long as he's at Duke. Every little interaction he has on the court is going to be heavily scrutinized. Every shoving match, every questionable play, every heated exchange, every temper tantrum on the sidelines is going to be played and replayed on sportscenter. It's unfortunate, but he's got a ton of pressure on him to be perfect.

However, this Adidas scandal might take some of the media coverage away, which is good for Grayson, but terrible for college basketball as a whole.

Grayson is one of my favorite players. He's made mistakes and is now rising above them. I really wish him every bit of success possible.

kAzE
10-04-2017, 11:19 AM
Grayson is one of my favorite players. He's made mistakes and is now rising above them. I really wish him every bit of success possible.

Oh, me too. I'm a Grayson fan for life. He's more than paid his dues for his transgressions, but he will continue to pay for the things he's done, as well things he has no control over (mainly being a really good player at Duke who happens to be white). I've loved watching every minute he's played at Duke, but it will almost be a relief to see him get drafted into the NBA after this season. No college kid deserves the negative media scrutiny he's been subjected to.

Henderson
10-04-2017, 11:41 AM
When a player does something, even repeatedly, on the court that is against the rules, what price should he pay?

Personal fouls.
Technical fouls.
Loss of playing time.
Suspension.
Personal apology and contrition.
Public shaming.
Ongoing scrutiny and criticism.

GA has checked all the boxes. New season. Next play. And by all accounts, he's a genuinely good guy. What more do folks want?

With the "supporting" cast both high and low and his familiarity with the offensive and defensive systems, I'm psyched to see Captain Grayson Allen play this season, and I'll be rolling my eyes every time one of his trips from last year is replayed.

killerleft
10-04-2017, 03:04 PM
When a player does something, even repeatedly, on the court that is against the rules, what price should he pay?

Personal fouls.
Technical fouls.
Loss of playing time.
Suspension.
Personal apology and contrition.
Public shaming.
Ongoing scrutiny and criticism.

GA has checked all the boxes. New season. Next play. And by all accounts, he's a genuinely good guy. What more do folks want?

With the "supporting" cast both high and low and his familiarity with the offensive and defensive systems, I'm psyched to see Captain Grayson Allen play this season, and I'll be rolling my eyes every time one of his trips from last year is replayed.

We all remember the 19 technical fouls and 4 ejections amassed by Eastern Michigan's James Thompson IV in the last 2 years. He's had to pay and pay and... well, frankly I had to google college technical fouls to find out he existed. I couldn't find any mention outside of statistics concerning JT IV's outlandish number of technicals.