PDA

View Full Version : RIP Tom Petty

CrazyNotCrazie
10-02-2017, 04:15 PM
What an extremely talented musician. I saw him in concert twice, once while I was at Duke, and he really put on a great show. He will be missed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tom-petty-legendary-rocker-is-dead-at-66/

jimsumner
10-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Stunning.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-rock-iconoclast-who-led-the-heartbreakers-dead-at-66-w506651

ncexnyc
10-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Sadly at my age this is starting to become a very morbid habit of sending off musicians and celebrities I grew up with. Tom was one of my younger sister's favorite rockers. The Heartbreakers arrived on the rock scene at a unique time and they served as a bridge between the seventies and eighties.

Tripping William
10-02-2017, 04:25 PM
A sad day punctuated by even more sad news. His talent was immense.

jimsumner
10-02-2017, 04:32 PM
October 2017 is not starting out as one of my favorite months.

PSurprise
10-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Time to move on to Tuesday and just forget this Monday.

mattman91
10-02-2017, 04:52 PM
What a horrible day.

RIP Tom. High times we had with you good sir.

moonpie23
10-02-2017, 05:04 PM
sucks sucks sucks sucks....

what an absolutely crappy day.. :(

Tom Petty = HOF'er...........times 10.....

cspan37421
10-02-2017, 05:44 PM
One of my first vinyl records. Great album.

On one side of the inside sleeve, IIRC, he's pictured taking a drag from a Marlboro. I have a feeling he never gave it up, and his passing at age 66 is not unrelated.

Never was a huge fan but I really loved the live version of Breakdown when the audience sings the first couple verses themselves, and he comments, "you're going to put me out of a job...."

https://youtu.be/T11wn7QMFiY?t=2m24s

Bob Green
10-02-2017, 05:49 PM
RIP, Tom. This news catches me completely by surprise. He was a great talent. I saw him in concert in Honolulu in 1980 (April?).

dudog84
10-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Conflicting reports but it appears this is premature. But it sure doesn't look good.

mattman91
10-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Don't back down, Tom. Please!

devildeac
10-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Stop Draggin My Heart Around.

From what I read earlier this afternoon and my experience, his prognosis was grim. If he hasn't passed yet, I doubt he'll be around much longer. Sad.

mattman91
10-02-2017, 09:11 PM
Stop Draggin My Heart Around.

From what I read earlier this afternoon and my experience, his prognosis was grim. If he hasn't passed yet, I doubt he'll be around much longer. Sad.

don't! He won't back down. Praying for a miracle...

duke74
10-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Saw him this summer at the Forest Hills Stadium venue (former home of the US Tennis Open in the old days). The 40th anniversary tour I believe.

Everyone I know involved in the venue - from the vendors to the sponsors to the local cops - said he was a mensch - treated them with respect.

RIP to a great musician and apparently a good man.

-jk
10-02-2017, 10:18 PM
Always sobering to see a long list (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/notable-deaths-so-far-this-year/2017/01/17/750ed23a-dcf5-11e6-acdf-14da832ae861_gallery.html) of those who've died this year.

And the older we get, the more sobering..

-jk

fidel
10-02-2017, 10:23 PM
King of the riff. His was the opposite of the wall of sound. He will be missed.

moonpie23
10-02-2017, 10:33 PM
an elite songwriter/musician/ entertainment act....

his shows were flawless, amazing....hit after hit after hit.......effortless....

ChrisP
10-03-2017, 10:31 AM
This one's hitting me hard. Not even sure exactly why because I only own a few of his albums and never saw him live or anything. I guess maybe it's because he seemed like such a regular guy. And I'll admit, I largely took him for granted because, well, the guy had been making great music for most of my life. Tom Petty just always seemed to be "around", you know? And he had SO many great songs - with the Heartbreakers, solo, the Traveling Wilbury's, etc. And he made it look easy. But perhaps that's the mark of real genius - to make it all seem natural and effortless. In any case, he will be missed. A lot. RIP, Tom

FadedTackyShirt
10-03-2017, 12:39 PM
This one's hitting me hard. Not even sure exactly why because I only own a few of his albums and never saw him live or anything. I guess maybe it's because he seemed like such a regular guy. And I'll admit, I largely took him for granted because, well, the guy had been making great music for most of my life. Tom Petty just always seemed to be "around", you know? And he had SO many great songs - with the Heartbreakers, solo, the Traveling Wilbury's, etc. And he made it look easy. But perhaps that's the mark of real genius - to make it all seem natural and effortless. In any case, he will be missed. A lot. RIP, Tom

Also hitting me surprisingly hard. Always liked him and his music, but never saw him live. Same with Prince, but felt like there would always be more time. Getting to see Chuck Berry and BB King late in their lives lulled me into a lack of urgency to see the true greats. Thanks, Tom for your music and your legacy. RIP.

freshmanjs
10-03-2017, 01:43 PM
We saw the show this summer in Newark. It was great! Felt like a goodbye to the fans. He had interesting things to say about this tour, including...

I'm thinking it may be the last trip around the country

jimsumner
10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
I saw him in concert a couple of times at Walnut Creek in Raleigh, once with Steve Winwood opening.

He put on a great show, although his Southern Accents tour--for which he later expressed some contrition--did bring out a certain drunken, redneck clientele that seemed a bit at odds with his more thoughtful persona.

Pretty big Petty section on my CD shelves. And the download library.

He wasn't quite in my Dylan, Springsteen, Beatles pantheon but he was pretty darn close.

He was one of a number of musical icons, e.g. Springsteen, Jackson Browne, Richard Thompson, Stevie Wonder, Bonnie Raitt, et. al. that are/were about my age. So, I guess I feel like we kind of grew up together. This one hits me hard.

"I don't know but I've been told
If you never slow down, you never grow old."

RIP

bludev
10-03-2017, 04:26 PM
Wow, what a sledgehammer of a day yesterday was, don't know if I've absorbed all that happened.

Saw TP several times, was never disappointed. He hit it big when I was a teen in 79 and made me a fan forever ... has always for lack of a better term "been there".

Will miss him immensely ... hope he's holding a Rickenbacker where ever he is ...

As he said at the end of his shows, "God bless you".

Jeffrey
10-03-2017, 06:52 PM
He wasn't quite in my Dylan, Springsteen, Beatles pantheon but he was pretty darn close.

Very close to my pantheon of The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, and The Beatles. As a result, I loved seeing Tom Petty play with The Grateful Dead and Bob Dylan a few times in the summer of '86. Tom Petty played his own set and also served as Dylan's backup band. I was extremely impressed by Tom Petty and believe his '86 experience was a springboard to his next level. He seemed to get better and better as he aged.

Thanks, RIP, Tom.

OldPhiKap
10-03-2017, 09:54 PM
I hate to keep repeating myself on these sorts of threads, but -- this one really hurts.

Saw him a few times. There are few who are both popular and "cool" if that makes sense. The WSJ had an article a year or two ago to that effect as well.

Three of the five Wilbury half-brothers are now gone. Hope he is singing with Roy and George as we speak.

Jeffrey
10-04-2017, 12:04 PM
I hate to keep repeating myself on these sorts of threads, but -- this one really hurts.

I've been aware of the time going by,
They say in the end it's the wink of an eye,
When the morning light comes streaming in,
You'll get up and do it again,
Amen.

CameronBornAndBred
10-04-2017, 12:29 PM
ESPN has its QB Confidence Index up, rating their belief in each NFL quarterback's ability to lead and be effective. Relevance to this thread? Each QB is assigned a Tom Petty song.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20906514/quarterback-confidence-index-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-depth-chart-rankings-week-4

House P
10-05-2017, 12:14 PM
ESPN has its QB Confidence Index up, rating their belief in each NFL quarterback's ability to lead and be effective. Relevance to this thread? Each QB is assigned a Tom Petty song.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20906514/quarterback-confidence-index-rating-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-depth-chart-rankings-week-4

Love the creativity, but how could someone go though this exercise and not reference the song "Yer so Bad"? Certainly the Browns have somebody playing QB for them this week! :cool:

On second thought, perhaps the writer got it correct. There may be too much nuance involved with the lyrics "yer so bad, best thing I ever had" to go with a cheap joke based on the song title alone.

lotusland
10-07-2017, 02:43 PM
I love me some Petty. Saw him thrice and on a trip to Jamaica many years ago I had been there nearly a week and had drunk 1000 red stripes and listened to every Bob Marley song 4 or 5 times so I offered the bartender a twenty for a Budweiser and some Tom Petty. My next trip to the bar he was ready. Best $20 I ever spent. I don't drink Bud anymore but I still love Petty.

jipops
10-09-2017, 10:57 AM
A little late to this thread, but this loss has certainly hit home as other losses have that relate to my childhood and adolescence. My musical tastes evolved as I grew up but Petty was and is one of the constants. I listened to him all of last week and will continue to this week. Anyways, this is one of the best write-ups I've seen in remembrance (with Patterson Hood) (http://bittersoutherner.com/from-the-southern-perspective/music/like-sonny-liston-tom-petty-patterson-hood). I especially love the part about getting to the chorus.

PackMan97
10-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Jason Aldean cold opens SNL with a tribute to Las Vegas and Tom Petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRCbVBCRBE

moonpie23
10-10-2017, 08:18 AM
Jason Aldean cold opens SNL with a tribute to Las Vegas and Tom Petty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RRCbVBCRBE

one of the greatest examples of "it's the thought that counts" that i've ever encountered....

rthomas
10-10-2017, 09:14 AM
My favorite Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers albums was actually one they recorded with Johnny Cash, Unchained.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsERVz6-xRw